Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 68 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 68 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


354

young man he Nvas a successful teacher, in
Sprmg-field township, and also in what is now
North Hopewell township. He finally pur-
chased the old homestead farm, upon which he
made many improvements, becoming one of the
prominent and intfuential citizens of the town-
ship and there continuing to be identified with
agricultural pursuits until his death. His re-
mains rest in the cemetery of Salem church, at
Paradise, Spring-field township. His wife,
whose maiden name was Eva Weiser, was like-
wise interred in this same "God's acre", both
having been faithful and devoted members of
the Salem Lutheran Church, at Paradise, while
he was specially active in the work of the Sun-
day-school. His political allegiance was given
to the Democratic party. The children born
to Mr. and Mrs. George Leader were : Charles
W., who died in Huntingdon county. Pa. ;
Miss Priscilla, who died in York; Sarah M.,
who became the wife of John Stouch, at one
time county treasurer, and her death occurred
in the city of York; George W., a resident of
Y^ork ; Heni-y, mentioned below ; Jesse, formerly
a miller by vocation, and now a representative
farmer of Conewago township ; Elizabeth, who
married Jacob Stiles, and after his death be-
came the wife of William Glatfelter, a local
preacher of the Church of God, and they re-
side at Yoe, this county; Lydia, widow of
David Willet, of Hanover, this county; Miss
Eliza Ann, who resides in York,; and Anna
Maria, wife of William H. Hartman, of Para-
dise, this county.

Henry Leader was born in York township,
Dec. 27, 1830, and passed his yoitth in York
and Spring-field townships, while he received a
good common-school education. In 1854 he
was united in marriage to Miss Leah E. Wam-
baugh, who was born in Springfield township,
Sept. 12, 1830, a daughter of Michael and
Mary (Landis) Wamlaaugh, the former of
whom was a miller by trade. After his mar-
riage Henry Leader continued to reside for
some time in York township, engaged in ag-
ricultural pursuits, and he then removed to
Springfield township, where he continued in the
same vocation for a number of years. He after-
ward removed to Codorus township, where he
purchased a well equipped sawmill, which he
continued to operate for the ensuing fourteen
years, in connection with a general lumbering
business. Since the death of liis wife he has



lived practically retired, making his home with
his son George, the subject of this review. He
is a stanch Democrat in his political procliv-
ities, and has ever taken deep interest in public
affairs, particularly those of a local nature,
while he has been an able and reliable business
man, so ordering his life in all its relations that
he to-day commands the confidence and high
esteem of all who know him. His religious
faith is that of the Lutheran' Church, of which
his devoted wife also was a consistent member.
Mrs. Leah E. Leader died Aug. 22, 1898, and
was buried in the Salem church cemetery, pre-
viously mentioned. She bore her husband the
following children : Phebe Alice, who became
the wife of Henry Dise, died in Springfield
township, in 1881 ; George M. is next in or-
der of birth; Priscilla is the wife of Joe L.
Trout, and they now reside in the city of Pitts-
burg, Mr. Trout having previously been, for
a period of sixteen years, bookkeeper for the
Glen Manufacturing Co., at Glen Rock, York
county; and Leah E. died at the age of thir-
teen years.

George M. Leader attended the public
schools of York and Springfield townships in
his youth, continuing his studies in this way
with much regularity until he had attained the
age of nineteen years. In the meanwhile he
had assisted his father in his business enter-
prises, continuing in this association until two
years after his marriage, which was solemnized
in the year 1881. In 1885 he purchased thirty
acres of land at Hametown, Shrewsbury town-
ship, and there continued to reside for three
years, giving his attention to general farming.
He then disposed of this little farm and re-
moved to Glen Rock, where he became actively
concerned in the work and management of the
Glen Manufacturing Company, manufacturers
of doors, sash, blinds, church pews, etc., being
one of the stockholders of said company. Af-
ter having been thus identified with this enter-
prise for a period of ten years Mr. Leader re-
turned to Hametown, purchasing a residence
and thirty-three acres of land, on the opposite
side of the road from his former home, and
there he continued to reside for two years. He
was also a stockholder and director in the Glen
Rock Wire Cloth factory. In 1899 li^ P"'"'
chased of Josiah Day his present fine farm of
sixty-four acres, in York township, taking up
his residence on the place in the spring of 1900,



BIOGRAPHICAL



355



having, in the meanwhile, disposed of his prop-
erty at Hametown. His present farm, which
is equipped with substantial improvements of
modern order, including" an atti'active residence,
is located on the Baltimore pike, about three
miles south of the city of York, and it may be
said without fear of contradiction that there
are few farms in the county more attractive
than this pleasant homestead, which gives evi-
•dence of progressive management and the high-
est order of thrift and prosperity. While ever
manifesting a loyal interest in all that concerns
the well being of the community and keeping
in touch with the c|uestions and issues of the
hour, Mr. Leader has never been afflicted with
the ambition for public office, while in his po-
litical attitude he is independent, giving his
support to the men and measures which meet
the approval of his judgment. During his
residence at Glen Rock he was elected school
director, and was appointed a member of the
Board of Health, serving as its secretary until
his removal from that town. He has also
served as judge and inspector of elections at
different times. Both he and his wife are mem-
bers of the Lutheran Church at York.

On Nov. 20, 1 881, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Leader to Miss Susan Myers,
who was born and reared in Springfield town-
ship, being a daughter of Jacob Y. and Nancy
(Shamberger) Myers, who are now living at
York. Mr. and Mrs. Leader have one son, an
•exceptionally fine young man, endowed with
marked strength of character and high intel-
lectuality. This son, Guy Alvin, was born in
Shrewsbury township, Oct. 21, 1887, and has
received excellent educational advantages,
while his intention is to secure a liberal edu-
cation through proper collegiate work. He was
.at the time of this writing, engaged in teach-
ing in the district school, in "York township,
though only seventeen years of age, making
an excellent record in that connection.

B. FRANK STINE. The farm until the
spring of 1906, owned by B. Frank Stine, and
since then the property of his brother, has been
in the possession of the family for over a cen-
tury, and four generations have successively
made it their home, until today there is scarce-
ly a spot within its well-ordered limits which
has not been endeared to its occupants by some
association or memory.



Ludwig Stine, the original purchaser of the
property came from Germany, and settled first
west of York. The greater part of his life was
spent on the old homestead in Windsor town-
ship, and there he died. He belonged to the
Dunkards. His wife, Catherine Weigle, bore
him seven children, viz. : John, who died in
York township; Daniel, who died in Longs-
town ; Henry ; and four daughters.

Henry Stine was born in 1801, and died in
August, 1870. His wife whose maiden name
was Julia Ann Slenker, was born in 1800, and
died in 1877. She was the daughter of Mar-
tin Slenker, who married a Miss Mellinger.
Henry Stine spent his life on the farm, which
became his own property on the death of his
father. It consisted of 120 acres, and at first
had two log houses on it, in one of which Lud-
wig Stine lived, and in the other Henry. The
latter built the present house, a fine residence
in 1849. Nine years before that he had built
a good barn, but it was struck by lightning
and burned in July, 1852, so that he was
obliged to build another, the present structure
in that same year. He had a family of six,
namely : Henry, deceased, formerly of York-
ana; Charlotte, Mrs. Henry Paules, deceased;
John ; Joseph, who resided near York ; Julia
Ann, Mrs. Josiah Bailey; and Zachariah, of
Lower Windsor township.

John Stine was born on the Stine home-
stead, March 17, 1833. Until he was eighteen
he attended school, going to the Freysville
school, which was first on a. subscription basis,
and later free. The term lasted only four
months of each year, and the rest of the time
was spent helping in the work of the farm.
\\'ith his brother Henry, John Stine learned
the carpenter's trade and worked at it for a
couple of years, but then turned his attention
to farming instead, and lived on the farm now
owned by C. W. Shenberger. After the death
of his father in 1870, he moved to the old
farm, which has since been his home. In
politics he is a Republican, while his religious
connection is with the Freysville Lutheran
Church. He was married, in 1854, to Miss
Lucy Ann Schmuck, born in Windsor town-
ship in 1834, daughter of Peter and ]\Iagdalena
(Smith) Schmuck. Five sons and two daugh-
ters have been born to this union, as follows :
John W., of Windsor township; Reuben D.,
deceased : William Henrv, who died at the age



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of seventeen; B. Frank; Moses, of Red Lion;
and Julia Ann and Mary Jane, deceased in in-
fancy.

B. Frank Stine was born in 1861 on the
farm where his parents began their house-
keeping. He was sent to the pubhc schools,
attending first in the old building that stood on
the Stine farm, and his first teacher was David
Stauffer, while the last one there was F. Z.
Stauft'er. At nineteen he had finished in the
local schools, and then he entered the York
Normal, where he spent one session under
Profs. Seitz and Hays. With this preparation
for teaching Mr. Stine secured the home school,
and taught there the following winter, the last
year that a session was held in that building.
The following year he entered the Millers-
ville Normal School and spent two years there,
after which he taught the Fairview school in
his own township for four years, the Cedar
Hill school a similar period, and the Freys-
ville school for two terms. At this point in
his career Mr. Stine decided to give up teach-
ing, and accordingly entered the mercantile
business at Holtz, where for three years he
carried on the store and post office, the former
of which Moses C. Holtzinger has since bought.
On leaving Holtz, he returned home, bought
the farm from his father, and has ever since
been carrying it on. For seven years he again
taught school during the winters in the dis-
tricts where he taught before, and his services
as teacher have always been in demand. In
1 89 1, Mr. Stine engaged in the fertilizing busi-
ness, combining that and farming. In the
spring of 1906 he sold the homestead farm to
his brother, J. W. Stine, and he and his family
moved to York.

Mr. Stine has been married for (iver
twenty years, his union to Miss Ida B. Frey
having occurred July 5, 1885. Miss Frey was
born in Lower Windsor township. May 16,
1867, daughter of John and Mary (Hengst)
Frey. Mr. and Mrs. Stine have had a family
of six children : Carrie Belle, Cozie May,
John Nevin, Laura Flo, Mary Ann and Henry
M. Stanley. Mr. Stine, as well as his wife, is
a member of the Freysville Lutheran Church,
in which he has been deacon for four years.
In politics he was at first a Republican, and
cast his first vote for Blaine, but in 1892 he
changed to the ranks of the Democrats, .and
has supported that party since then. In the



spring of 1902, he was elected school director
for a term of three years, upon the expiration
of which time he was re-elected for a similar
period, a position which his education and ex-
l^erience abundantly qualify him to fill most cap-
ably. He was appointed deputy prothonotary
of York county. Pa., and entered upon the du-
ties of the office, under George \^^ ^laish, pro-
thonotary, Jan. I, 1906. He is a member of
Washington Camp, No. 176, P. O. S. of A.,
of Windsorville, and he formerly belonged to
the Mystic Chain. He also belongs to York
Eyrie, No. 183, F. O. E., and various other or-
ganizations in the city of York. He is prom-
inent and influential in the community, and is
a man universally esteemed and respected.

JOHN K. WALKER, an old and promi-
nent farmer citizen of Lower Chanceford town-
ship, York county, was born Feb. 17, 1837, at
Cross Keys Farm, Fulton township, Lancaster
Co., Pennsylvania.

Timothy Walker, his grandfather, came to
America from England with his wife and per-
haps some of his children, and settled in Cecil
county, Md., close to the Pennsylvania line.
He was a soldier in the American Revolution
and often told of having lain on the ground in
camp when it was so cold his hair would freeze
to the ground. Subsequently he moved to Lan-
caster county and died there. Of his children
we have record only of Timothy, who located
in Belmont county, Ohio; Sally, who died un-
married, and William, father of John K.

William Walker, father of John K., was a
farmer all his life except during the years he
kept the "Cross Keys Hotel," between Lan-
caster and Port Deposit. He lived in Cecil
county one year after his marriage and then
took charge of the above named hotel, where
he saved a little money, but not caring to sell
whiskey, he went to farming in Lancaster
county, where he lived for seven years, then
removing to York county. He bought a farm
of 100 acres two and one-half miles from the
city of York, on which he lived until he sold
it to our subject, buying another place of thirty-
five acres on which he died in 1870, aged sev-
enty-five years. He was a lifelong Democrat.

William Walker married Martha McCue,
who was born in Cecil county, Md., a daughter
of Dominick McCue, who came from Ireland
with his wife before the birth of anv of their



BIOGRAPHICAL



357



chikh'en. ]\Irs. Walker died on the farm in
1890, aged seventy-five years. William Walk-
er's children were as follows : Andrew, who
died aged tweh'e years ; John, who died young ;
Elias who died small ; William, a soldier of the
Civil war, deceased in Augtist, 1904, who mar-
ried in Lower Chanceford township (first) Je-
mima Arbuckle and (second) Mrs. Jane Mur-
phy; John K., the subject of this sketch; Mary
Ann, Mrs. Alexander Ire, who died in Lan-
caster; Alartha, Mrs. James Kilgore, who died
in Lower Chanceford township; Margaret,
Mrs. Juhn Donohue, who died in Lancaster;
and Andrew, of Havre de Grace, Maryland.

John K. Walker was eight years old when
he came to Lower Chanceford township with
his parents, and completed his education here
at the age of sixteen years. He was always
more inclined toward work than books and was
his father's best assistant on the farm, remain-
ing at home and later buying the place as men-
tioned above. Later he moved to Pesutia Is-
land, Md., and farmed a year there, afterward
farming four years at Stony Point, Md., one
year at Sandy Hill, Md., and two years at
Purgatoi-y, jNId. He then came back to Lower
Chanceford township and lived on the old home
place until 1900, wdien he came to his present
farm, formerly known as the John Shaub farm,

I\Ir, Walker was married Nov. 17, 1868, at
York, to Sarah A. Wise, born Feb. 15, 1848,
in Lower Chanceford township. Her father,
Henry Wise, was a brother of John \^'ise, of
near Red Lion, Windsor township, and spent
his whole life on the homestead. He married
Nancy Sweigart, who was born near Bethel
Church, Chanceford township, and they both
died on their home farm. They had children,
as follows : John Andrew, deceased : Mary,
Mrs, Andrew Douglas, of Chanceford town-
ship; Sarah A., wife of our subject; Henry, of
near Delta, married to Katy Kened}-; Daniel,
near Delta ; and Becky, widow of Dr. IMordecai
Posey, of Collinsville.

Children as follows were born to Mr. and
Mrs. Walker: Laura, who was a successful
teacher prior to her marriage to Samuel W.
Taylor, of Lower Chanceford township; Ber-
tha, Mrs. Jack Kenedy, of the same township ;
Mattie M.. wife of Fillmore Grove, of Getch-
ville, this county; Maggie, Mrs, Albert Rein-
ecker, of North Point, ]Md. ; Blanche, Mrs. John
Barrett, who was a successful teacher for four



}ears prior to marriage ; Alice, ]\Irs. David
Keeports, of Lower Chanceford township; Nan
who resides at home ; Thomas Neely, who mar-
ried Hester Keeports and resides in Lower
Chanceford township; William Howard, re-
siding at home; John E., of Lower Chance-
ford township; Octavia, who died aged seven
years; Arabella, \yho died aged three years;
and two children who died in infancy. Mr.
Walker has also an adopted son, John W. W.
Herman. This large and interesting family is
prominent in this section of the county.

]\Ir. Walker, like his father, has always been
identified with the Democratic party, but he has
never consented to hold office. Both he and
his estimable wife are worthy members of the
AIcKendree ]M. E. Church.

I

JAMES E. MANIFOLD, of East Hope-
well township, York Co., Pa., is a descendant
of Benjamin Manifold, the emigrant ancestor
of the family in this country, who came from
Ireland to the United States. Mr. Manifold
is connected with many of the oldest families
of his section, and was born in his present
home, which was erected by his father a short
time prior to his birth, Feb. 10, 1848.

Salem Rowe Manifold, the father, was born
Dec. 6, 1799, close to Fawn Grove, in Fawn
township, on a farm owned by one Mar-
steller, "and there grew to manhood. He mar-
ried Eliza Turner Manifold, who was born and
reared on the farm now owned by J. J. ]\Iani-
fold, daughter of "Long" Hen'ry ManifcM
and Elizabeth Turner, the former receiving
his nickname to distinguish him from Henry
^lanifold, of Fawn township, whose pseudonvm
was "Short," After marriage Mr. and :\irs.
Salem R. Manifold lived in Fawn township
for a time, and then removed to the Charles
Grove farm, near the Hopewell township line.
He then purchased a farm of 225 acres from
Samuel Grove, who had purchased it from
John Helling. Mr. Manifold paid $600 for
this farm, upon which there was not enough
land cleared to make a garden. His home
was an old log house of two rooms, in one of
which Mrs. Manifold had her spinning-wheel
and wove clothing for her children, also mak-
ing coverlets and table cloths. Mr. Z^Ianifold
built the present brick residence in 1847. The
barn erected in 1842, by "Jim" Gemmill, con-
tractor, was the largest in the township at that



358



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



time. Mr. Manifold's early crops of wheat
were only enough to feed his family, six bush-
els being the first year's yield. He was a mem-
ber of Prospect M. E. Church, while his wife
attended Round Hill Presbyterian Church.
Politically Mr. Manifold was first a \Vhig, and
later a Republican. His death occurred in
1883, and his wife passed away in 1895. They
had the following named children : John A.
married Emmeline Dillinger, of Indiana, and
died in East Hopewell township; B. Franklin
is a resident of Baltimore county, Md. ; Eliza-
beth Turner died unmarried as did Mary; Jo-
seph Edward died in a camp hospital at An-
tietam, while a soldier in the 187th P. V. I.;
Belinda Jane married Cornelius Collins, and
died on the Plank Road; Henry, a member of,
the 130th Cavalry, died in service (his regi-
ment's horses were taken a\\-ay and the men
were ordered 'to proceed to a certain point on
foot ; he took to bleeding at the nose, and went
into battle in that condition, dying from the
strain) ; Margaret died when young; Henry
(2) died in childhood; James E. is our subject.

James E. Manifold received his early educa-
tion in the local schoolhouse, his first teacher
being Archie Fullerton, and he left school un-
der Thomas Wilson. He then attended one
year at the Stewartstown Academy under
Prof. James A. Murphy. When young he had
a great desire to go into the cattle dealing busi-
ness, and had many chances to go West to
bring in cattle, but though his father was will-
ing that he should go his mother objected to
it, so he remained at home. When the Civil
war broke out, he, being the only help on the
farm, was compelled to remain at home, and
his whole life has been spent in farming. When
he was fourteen years old it is said that he was
able to swing a cradle as well as any, being
also able to tie wheat as rapidly and well as his
elders. His father often said that he could
"mow to Baltimore without straightening up
if someone wanted him to," as he never knew
what backache was.

.Mr. Manifold was married Jan. 17, 1878,
to Miss Belle W. Irwin, who was born in
Fawn township in 1855, daughter of Robert
and Eliza (Wiley) Irwin, and after marriage
settled on his lOO-acre tract, upon which stands
the residence. Most of his land was cleared,
and he has raised some of the best crops in
the section. He and his family are members



of the Round Hill Presbyterian Church, which
he joined m 1861. In politics he is a stanch
Republican, and has served as school director
and held other township offices. To Mr. and
Mrs. Manifold have been born : Marian Ger-
trude, now Mrs. Springer Lanius of Fawn
township ; and Henry Rowe and Jennie Irwin
at home.

ANDREW ELLIS, a prominent citizen of
Red Lion, Chanceford township, York county,
was born Nov. 20, 1828, in Chanceford town-
ship, and is of French and German descent.

George Ellis, his grandfather, located in
Chanceford township, and died on the farm on
which our subject was born, having been a
farmer all of his life. He was a soldier in the
Revolutionary war, serving seven years as a
private, and his rifle is now in the possession
of his grandson, Andrew.

David Ellis, the father of Andrew, was
born on the same farm and received an ordi-
nary common school education, and became a
teacher, having a school in the house in which
he lived, for the benefit of the neighbors' chil-
dren during the winter for a number of years.
He married Catherine Schall, a nati^•e of Mary-
land, whence her father moved to what is now
Lower Chanceford township, where he bought
700 or 800 acres of land. Of this Air. Ellis got
188 acres. Mrs. Ellis died on the home farm,
aged ninety-seven years, and Mr. Ellis passed
away in his sixty-second year. These good
people were Presbyterians. In politics he was
an old line Whig. The children born to Mr.
and Mrs. Ellis were : Michael, who died in
Windsor township ; Catherine, who married
Adam Arnold, and died in Windsor township;
John, who died in Chanceford township; An-
nie, who married Alichael Bloure, and died in
the same township ; Henry, who died in either
Maryland or Virginia : Philip, who died in
Chanceford township George, who died in
Chanceford township ; Mary, who married
George Bullock and died in Columbia ; Fannie,
who married Jacob Houghmatter, and died in
Chanceford township: Benjamin, who died in
Chanceford township, and Andrew.

Andrew Ellis was taught by subscription
teachers first, and later went to the public
schools, but the advantages for his education
were slight, as his father died when he was
but ten years old, and he was compelled to go



BIOGRAPHICAL



359



to work for the neighbors. The first wages he
received were twenty-five cents per day, and he
was then paid six dollars per month, working
at hay making" and harvesting. For work
with a hand scythe and rake he received sixty-
five cents per day, and he kept at this work for
a few years, and then engaged in team work for
John Detweiler, hauling wood to the canal at
fifty cents per day, handling sixteen loads per
day. Mr. Ellis and his brother Henry cut
wood for two years, winter and summer, for
Robert Huston of Columbia, and then bought
a team and hauled the wood to the canal for
Mr. Huston. The land from which the wood
was hauled was covered with brush, stumps and
stones, and the brothers made an agreement
to haul so many loads of wood lor the farm.
They hauled the required number of loads and
received the land, upon which they built a
stone house, thirty feet square and two stories
high, and a temporary barn later building a
barn 40x100 feet. The land consisted of 133
acres or more, and in a short time Mr. Ellis
bought out his brother, and later sold off forty



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 68 of 201)