Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 69 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 69 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


acres of the land, the rest of which he cleared
and cultivated, selling it in the spring of 1905,
and removing to Red Lion, where he has since
li\'ed.

]Mr. Ellis married Margaret Leiphart. and
the following children have been born to them :
George ; Ida, who married Frank Koons, of
Lower Windsor ; Olivia, who married Amos
Koons. of Chanceford township ; Ellen, who
married Emanuel Smueltzer, of Windsor town-
ship; Lilly, who married William E. Burkins,
of Red Lion ; and Cora, who married Jeremiah
Arnold of Chanceford township. Mr. Ellis is
very highly respected in the community in
which he resides and is a very useful and pro-
gressive citizen. In politics he is a Democrat.

CHARLES LEESE, justice of the peace
in North Codorus township, York Co., Pa., was
born in that township, Aug. 14, 1832, son of
Daniel and Alary ( Emig) Leese.

Valentine Leese. the grandfather, came to
America from Germany and settled in Alan-
chester township, York county. He was a
tailor and followed his trade all his life.

Daniel Leese, the father, learned the trade
of shoemaker. He owned a small farm of
thn-ty acres in North Codorus townshii). and
this he cultivated when not engaged in public



duties as he was a justice of tlie peace, a con-
stable, and also did surveying. He married
(first) Mary Emig, who died in June, i860, and
(second) Mary Klinedinst, who died in 1895.
He died in 1875, at the age of seventy-four
years and six months, and was Inu'ied in the
Moravian cemetery at York. His children
were: John W., a shoemaker and farmer;
Susan, deceased; Benjamin, deceased, who
served Jefferson borough as justice of the peace
and surveyor; George L., deceased, a wheel-
wright by trade ; Lydia, who died in Baltimore ;
Charles ; and Daniel, a civil engineer, residing
at New Albany, Indiana.

Charles Leese attended the township
schools, the first one being at Stoverstown, and
the next Seven Valley, and the last of his school
days were passed at the Leeses school in North
Codorus township, when he was seventeen
years of age. He then learned the millwright
trade in Jackson township which he followed
for thirty-five years in different parts of York
county, five years being spent at Emigsville,
Manchester township. In i860 he came to
North Codorus township and bought a small
property, which he sold at a later date and
Iwught his present farm of fifty acres of John
Alyers. This he has converted into a first-class
truck farm, and it is one of the finest in this
part of the State. He also grows fruit ex-
tensively, and has fine bee hives. He has had
the same stall in the Farmers' Market for the
past thirty-three years, and there are many-
households which dq:)end upon his choice com-
modities for the greater part of their purchases.
Charles Leese was married Feb. 19,
1857, to Margaret Schuler, daughter of George
Schuler, a butcher in Manchester township,
who died in i860, and was buried at the L'nion
Church- at Manchester. After marriage Air.
and Mrs. Leese settled at Emigsville and lived
there for three years, and then came to North
Codorus township. In 1883 he was elected
justice of the peace, an office in which he has
served ever since with satisfaction to all con-
cerned. In all these years he has returned but
two cases to court, his judgment making it
possible for him to settle all the others. In
addition to his other duties, he has been en-
gaged in sur^•eying for the last twenty years.
The children born to Air. and Airs. Leese
were as follows : Ida ^\•ho died aged two vears ;
Listie A., who married (first) Joseph Hoke



?6o



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



raid (second) Milton Heraan, and li\-es in
York; Andrew G., wlio married Jennie Sag-
ner: Ellen, wife of George M. Mummert, and
living at Menges Mills ; Charles, who died aged
seven years; Daniel G., married to Fannie Kes-
sler and living in Paradise township; Benja-
min, who married Elsie Messersmith and lives
in York ; Edward, who married Millie Bollinger
and has been a teacher and surveyor in
North Codorus township for eight years ;
Harry, who died aged two days; and Carrie N.,
who married John Shutt, of Spring Grove.

Few men are better known in this section
than 'Squire Leese. He served for twelve
years on the school board and for eleven years
was its secretary. He is one of the stockhold-
ers and a director, of the Codorus Canning
Company, of Jefferson, which he did much to
organize.

FRANK J. SNEERINGER, manufacturer
of cigar boxes at Flanover, sole proprietor of
a thriving manufactory with which he has been
connected almost since its inception, first as an
employee, evinces by his career the potency of
personality in the management of a business.
Ambitious and energetic, he thoroughly ac-
quired the details of the business, and then
when the opportunity presented itself for the
operation of the plant in his own name,' he
was well-eciuipped for the undertaking. And
though still a young man he has shown the
possession of superior business cjualifications.

Mr. Sneeringer was born near Conewago
Chapel, Adams Co., Pa., June 5, 1875, son of
Frank G. and Sallie (Jenkins) Sneeringer,
both now deceased. The -father was a native
of Adams county, and was for a number of
years interested in business for himself. He
had been prominent in politics and had served
a term in the State Legislature.

Frank J. Sneeringer received his primary
education in the public schools. He then en-
tered Mt. St. Mary's College at Emmitsburg,
l\Id., where he pursued his studies for several
years. After leaving school Mr. Sneeringer,
possessing a taste for mercantile life, started a
general store at Edge Grove, Adams county,
and while there he was appointed postmaster.
In 1889 the Penn Cigar Box Company. Ltd.,
through J. A. Poist & Brn., established a
manufactory at Hanover. F. G. Sneering'er
succeed.ed to the ownership, and in 1894 Frank



J. Sneeringer purchased the plant and became
the manufacturer of cigar boxes. The present
factory, a brick structure, 50x120 feet, was
erected by Mr. Sneeringer in 1905. The main
building is supplemented by sheds and ware-
houses for storing' material, and also the fin-
ished product. A force of forty men and wo-
men are employed at the factory, which is
ecj[uipped with late and improved machinery,
the product finding a market in many States.
Mr. Sneeringer has been connected with the
box factory a large part of the time since it
was started. He is thoroughly accjuainted
with the work in every department, and as
proprietor he has conducted the business with
marked success. Mr. Sneeringer is also a
member of the company known as the Cen-
tennial Cigar Co., at Centennial, Pa., where one
hundred cig'ar makers are employed. He is
also the owner of one of the best farms in
Adams county — situated near the town of
New Oxford.

Aside from his own business Mr. Sneer-
inger finds time to devote to the interests and
welfare of Hanover. He is vice-president of
the Hanover Mattress Company, a concern
that is doing a thriving business. It was in-
corporated in 1905 with H. A. Bair, president;
F. J. Sneeringer, vice-president ; E. A.
Michael, secretary; H. B. Schultz, treasurer;
and Herman Leonard, manager.

Mr. Sneeringer married, in September,
1898, Miss Daisy V. Schaberg, of Hanover,
daug-hter of Francis and Mary Schaberg.

MARTIN WHISLER, for the past
twenty-five years a minister of the Mennonite
persuasion, who has held pastorates in both
Pennsylvania and Maryland, and now in charge
of the church at Hanover, comes of a family
long known in Cumberland county, where he
was born on a farm near Newville, in Febru-
ary, 1846, son of Peter and Ester (Martin)
Whisler.

Abraham WHiisler, grandfather of Martin,
a native of Lancaster county, was the first of
his name to settle in Cumberland county, where
he owned a farm. He was twice married. His
son Peter was born in the later home, and con-
. tinned to reside in that county until his death
in 1858. His wife, Ester, who was born in
Lancaster county in 1816, was the daughter of
Jacob and Mary (Nicewarner) Martin, and



BIOGRAPHICAL



361



removed with them to Cumberland county,
when she was sixteen years old. Her father
was a prosperous farmer. To Peter and Es-
ter Whisler were born five children, one of
whom died in early life ; the others were : Sus-
anna, deceased wife of Benjamin Lehman;
Maria ; Emanuel, a farmer in Alanheim town-
ship; and Martin.

Martin Whisler grew up in Cumberland
county, and until he was seventeen years old
attended the Negley school in Mifflin township,
while the next four years were spent in assist-
ing his father. At the age of twenty-one he
started out for himself on the SoUenberger
farm, a tract of land of ninety-six acres, situ-
ated in Penn township. He now has charge
of the "Iron Ore" farm which he has rented to
his son-in-law, Henry Swemley. In addition
to this farm, Mr. Whisler owns a good house
and lot in Penn township, and also' similar
property in Menges Mills, for he was an indus-
trious and able farmer and conducted his af-
fairs with good success in a material way. His
active career as a teacher began in 1877, when
he entered upon four years of public service in
Cumberland county. Later besides preaching
several years in Zimmerman, Carroll county,
Md., he had charge both of the Diller Church
and the Hostetter Church, most of the time
combining his ministerial duties and his farm-
ing. Mr. WHiisler has been untiringly faithful
in the discharge of his duties, and has been a
power for good in his community. He was
married at the age of twenty-one to Elizabeth
Lay, daughter of John Lay, of Cumberland
county, and ten children were born to this
rmion. namely: Emma R., deceased; Anna,
Mrs. John Jacobs, of York county; Hettie E.,
Mrs. Clayton Shool, of Hanover; Edward A.,
of Hanover; Samuel, unmarried; Eannie, who'
married Henry Moul, a farmer; Effie M.. Mrs.
Henry Swemley; Martin P., Clayton E. and
Mabel M., all at home. Mrs. Elizabeth Whis-
ler. died in November, 1891, and Mr. Whisler
married ior his second wife, Amanda, widow
of the late John Lillick, and daughter of George
and Elizabeth (Hershey) Forry.

JACOB S. KENDIG, superintendent of
the Keystone Farm Machine Company, repre-
senting one of the most important industrial
enterprises in the city of York, is a native son
of York countv and a scion of a family that



came to the Keystone State in an early day.

William Kendig, grandfather of Jacob S.,
was born in York count}-, and came of stanch
German lineage. He became one of the pros-
perous farmers of Hopewell township, and
there both he and his wife died.

William Kendig, the honored father of Ja-
cob S., was likewise born and reared in York
county, and was numbered among the honored
farmers of Hopewell township. At the out-
break of the war of the Rebellion, like so many
other loyal and patriotic sons of the republic
he left the work of the farm to take up arms
in defense of the Union, enlisting as a member
of Company A, 200th P. V. I., with which he
served until he was physically incapacitated,
while it was his to sacrifice his life on the altar
of his country, since he died in the City Point
hospital, Virginia, in 1865, at the age of thirty-
five years. His wife, whose maiden name was
Christiana Saylor, was likewise born in York
county, being a daughter of Jacob Saylor, a
well-to-do farmer of Spring Garden township,
and she survived him many years, her death
occurring Dec. 26, 1903, at which time she
was seventy-two years of age. The}' \\-ere the
parents of seven children, namely : George
W. and William H., who are well-known cit-
izens of York ; Jennie, wife of John T. Hubley,
who is engaged in the printing business in
York; Amanda E., wife of John ^\^ Watts, of
York; Emma, wife of Charles T. Clopper, a
machinist of this city; Clara wife of Andrew
Ostertag, a furniture dealer of Philadelphia ;
and Jacob S.

Jacob S. Kendig was born on the old home-
stead farm, in Hopewell township, this county,
Nov. 29, 1862, and he remained on the home
farm, assisting in its work, during his boyhood
days, while his educational training was se-
cured in the local schools and those of the city
of York. When eighteen years of age he be-
gan working in the shops of the A. B. Far-
quhar Company, in York, becoming a skilled
machinist and continuing in the employ of the
company mentioned for a period of seven years.
He then, in September, 1890. entered the ser-
vice of the Keystone Farm ^lachine Company,
as foreman of the machine shop, and in 1900
a just recognition of his ability and fidelity
came to him in the form of promotion to his
present office of superintendent of the exten-
si\'e plant of the company. _ In the \\"orks em-



?62



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ployment is given to about one hundred and
titty persons, and under the superintendency
of xVlr. Kendig- the enterprise has been mucn
extended in scope and nnportance, the pro-
ducts of the concern being shipped into all sec-
tions of the United States, while shipments
are made each year to Germany, England,
Cuba, South America and Africa. In poli-
tics Mr. Kendig is independent, and fraternally
we find him identified with the Junior Order of
United American Mechanics. Both he and his
wife are consistent members of Trinity Re-
formed Church.

Mr. Kendig"s marriage was solemnized
Nov. 27, 1889, when Miss Mary E. King be-
came his wife. She was born in York, daughter
of the late John T. King, who was a prominent
contractor and builder of York. Mr. and Mrs.
Kendig have one son, H. King, born May 15,
1893, who is attending the city schools.

MATHIAS BAKER, one of the highly
esteemed residents of Manchester borough and
one of York county's substantial citizens, was
born Dec. 11, 1841, in Newberry township,
son of Mathias Baker, formerly a most worthy
and respected farmer of this locality.

Of his grandparents Mr. Baker knows lit-
tle as the old family records have not been pre-
served, but he knows that they lived and died
in Newberry township. They had two sons
and one daughter, the latter of whom married
a man by the name of Boyer. One son was
our subject's father and the other, Daniel Ba-
ker, kept the toll gate for a long time.

Mathias Baker, father of our subject, was
born Aug. 2, 1807, in Newberry township
where he went to school, followed an agricul-
tural life and died Feb. 24, 1854. He was twice
married, first to Elizabeth Good, who was
born in 1800, and died Dec. 15. 1830. He mar-
ried (second) Sarah Kohr, who died Aug. 13,
1890, aged seventy-three years, six months and
twenty-five days. His children were: Eliza-
beth, who married Peter Updegraff, lives in
Lewisberry; Jacob, who died in Newberry
township, was a blacksmith at Yocumtown and
during the Civil war served in Company I,
200th P. V. I.; Mathias; Daniel, who married
Elizabeth Markley, and resides in Manchester
township, served also in the Civil war, a mem-
ber of Company D, the above regiment; Ben-
jamin, who married Sarah Fetrow, lives in



Newberry township; ]\Iary Ann died Feb. 2,
i860, aged fourteen years, one month and two
days; John, born Dec. 29, 1832, died March
3, 1854; Sarah Ann, born Oct. 13, 1851, died
Oct. I, 1852; and Lydia, born Oct. 7, 1838,
died aged one year and eleven months. The
above named children are all buried in the
Mennonite churchyard in East Manchester
township, York county.

Mathias Baker, son of Mathias, was edu-
cated ill the schools of Newberry township,
but had few advantages as his father died when
he was cjuite young, and he was obliged
to go out among strangers. He was very in-
dustrious, and seldom wanted for employment.
In 1862 he married Elizabeth Keller, born Feb.
7, 1844, who died Jan. 14, 1887, aged forty-
two years, eleven months and seven daj^s. She
was buried at the Union cemetery at Manches-
ter. She was a faithful member of the United
Brethren Church.

After his marriage Mr. Baker settled at
Roundtown in Manchester township, doing
day's work there for some two years, and then
passed the early summer working on farms in
Conewago township. In August, 1864, he en-
listed for service in the Civil war, entering
Company D, 200th P. V. I., under Capt. Duh-
ling, and was mustered in at Harrisburg. His
command \\-as sent to Virginia and took
part in the battle at Petersburg. After nine
months service, he returned to Newberry town-
ship, fortunate in having escaped injury
although on the above field of battle the
men on his right and left sides were both
killed.

After his return from the front, Mr. Baker
continued to work by the day' for the next two
and a half years, and then came to East Man-
chester township, where he operated John
Spahr's farm on Conewago creek for nine
years. From there he went to Samuel Gross'
'iarm for five years, and then after four years
on another farm, he bought a first class farm
of seventy-five acres in Manchester township.
Mr. Baker took a great deal of interest in that
farm, and erected fine buildings and made
many improvements, residing on that property
for six years. In 1892 he came to Manchester
purchasing a fine home on High street, and
here he is enjoying the ease and comfort of a
retired life. He has always worked hard, and
has made his own wav in the world.



BIOGRAPHICAL



363



In 1 89 1 Mr. Baker was married (second)
to Amanda Grenewalt of Dover township, born
Nov. 25, 1852, who died Oct. 12, 1894, aged
forty-one years, ten months and seventeen days.
He is the father of the following children, all
born to his first union : Flora C. married Moses
Wagner, and they live at Starview, East Man-
chester township; Alvin E., born Nov. 17,
1863, married Elizabeth Hoffman, and they
live in East Manchester township; William
Henry, born June 17, 1866, married Jane
Bruan. and they live on the home farm;
Franklin Calvin, born Aug. 31, 1868, died Oct.
2, 1888, aged twenty years, one month and two
days, and was buried beside his mother; Al-
meda Susan, born Aug. 2^, 1869,* married Will-
iam Keller, and they live near Bradford, Ohio ;
Phebe, born Nov. 3, 1874, married George
Hoffman, and they live in Springetsbury
township; and Mathias H., born Oct. 24, 1876;
is unmarried. Mr. "Baker is affiliated with
the Republican party, and he has served on the
city council of Manchester. He is an honorable
citizen who is very highly regarded.

BENJAMIN SENTZ. of North Hopewell
township, is at present engaged in general
farming and tobacco raising on his seventy-
one-acre farm. He was born in that township,
Oct. 14, 1850, son of Henry and Lydia (Ty-
son) Sentz.

Henry Sentz and his wife both died in
North Hopewell township, in the faith of the
Reformed Church. In politics he was a Re-
publican. They had a family of nine children,
and of these our subject was the youngest.

Benjamin Sentz attended the public schools
of his township until eighteen years of age,
and was reared to the life of a farmer. He
worked with his father until his twenty-first
year, when he started out for himself, working
for two years with Jacob Diehl, and two years
with Eli Hersh. After his marriage he lived
in a tenant house for one year, and then bought
his present place of seventy-one acres, where
he is now engaged in general farming and to-
bacco raising. Mr. Sentz was married to Miss
Henrietta Haney, daughter of Squire Levi and
Sarah Ann (Phillips) Haney.

Mr. and Mrs. Sentz are members of the
Reformed Church, in which he has been active
since his affiliation with that body in 1870,
ha^•ing been elder for ten years, and helping
to build the present church building. A stanch



Republican in politics, he has served as super-
visor ot the township for two years. Air. and
Mrs. Sentz"s children are as follows; Sarah
Ida, Henry S. and Benjamin F.

BENEDICT MEADS iMANIFOLD, a
retired farmer of Hopewell township, York
county, is a son of Hon. John and Miranda
(Meads) Manifold, and was born in 1832, on
the old family homestead in East Hopewell
township, now the property of his brother, S.
B. Manifold. The father was at one time a
member of the Pennsylvania Legislature.

Benedict M. Manifold has spent his life in
agricultural pursuits. He was brought up on
his father's farm, assisting about the place
even as a boy. He attended the township
schools regularly until he was seventeen, one
of his best known teachers being William Ham-
mond, and after completing his studies he con-
tinued at home as a regular helper of his fath-
er until he was married. He then started on
his own account, in April, 1870, on the farm
where he still lives, now known as the Bridge-
way farm. It is a place of 140 acres, and is
both productive and well-managed. While the
buildings were put up by a former owner,
Thomas Shaw, the house being erected as early
as 1842, they are still in good condition.

Mr. Manifold was married March 10, 1870,
to Miss Ann B. Payne, daughter of Fulton and
Franey Elizabeth (Lanius) Payne, both of
whom died in Hopewell township. To this
union have come children as follows : John Jo-
seph, who married Aliss Alarion Anderson, and
resides in Hopewell township; Benjamin Ful-
ton Payne, a resident of East Hopewell town-
ship, who married Miss Bertha Hyson; Ed-
ward Lanius, at home; Benedict Meads, of
South Dakota; Oscar E., who married Miss
Abbie Althouse, and lives in Hopewell town-
ship ; William Reynolds, at home ; Franey Eliz-
abeth, at home ; Alargaret -Mary, Mrs. Joseph
Ray Anderson, of Hopewell township; and
Clay AValter, who was graduated in August,
1905, at Goldy Commercial College. Wil-
mington, Del., and is now a bookkeeper in the
freight office for the Pennsylvania railroad in
York. The family are all devout meniliers of
the Presbyterian Church.

In politics Air. Alanifold has been a life-
long Democrat, and one who has done his part
in public service for his locality. Hi;? special
sphere of activity has been in promoting- the



364



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



welfare of the communit)' in an educational
way, and he has been a member of the school
board, acting as treasurer of that body. Mr.
Manifold has won a secure place in the es-
teem of his fellow citizens, and his family are
all highly respected by their friends and neigh-
bors.

JOHN AMLLIAM HELLER, one of the
oldest members of the York County Bar, is a
son of the Rev. Jeremiah Heller, deceased, of
the Reformed Church, who was born and
reared in Adams county.

Mr. Heller's great-grandfather came from
Germany and settled in Adams county, where
the family lived for many 3?ears. The mother
of our subject was Eliza Fisher, a half-sister
of H. L. Fisher, the distinguished lawyer, and
there were four sons, three of whom are liv-
ing : Henry T., in the insurance business in
Illinois : George, a retired merchant of Oak
Harbor, Ohio ; and John William, of Yoi'k.

John William Heller was born in Rock-
ingham county, Va., Oct. 24, 1838, and was
educated at Heidelberg College, Ohio. He read
law with the Hon. Thomas E. Finefrock, of
Fremont, Ohio, was admitted to practice there
in 1863, and was admitted to the courts of
York count}', Feb. 13, 1865, subsequently be-
ing admitted to the Supreme Court where he
. argued many important cases, among others
having been associated with Hon. W. U. Hen-
sel, of Lancaster, in a trial of the collateral
inheritance tax case, in the Small estate. Mr.
Heller was elected district attorney of York
county in 1867, filling that office with signal
ability. During Sheriff Peeling's term of of-
fice, and that of Vincent R. Weaver, clerk of
the courts, Mr. Heller was counsel for both
officials.

Mr. Heller married Ella Engles, daughter
of ex-Sheriff Engles, and seven children were
born to this union, one of whom died in in-
fancy. The survivors are: Thomas E., ex-
deputy clerk of the courts of York county ;
George E., machinist; John W., Jr., ex-chief
deputy sheriff; Henry T., a clerk in New
York; and Sallie E. and Frances Louisa, at
home. In politics Mr. Heller is a Democrat.'
In religious connection he is a member of the
Reformed Church.

Mr. Heller's eldest son, Thomas Engle
Heller, was born June 5, 1868, in York, and,
after attending the public schools of York



and college in Philadelphia, secured a posi-
tion in the chemical works, in York. In
1893 he was elected clerk to the commissioners,
and re-elected in 1895. He served as deputy
recorder from 1900 to 1903, and on the first
Monday in January, 1903, became deputy clerk
of the courts, under Vincent R. W'eaver. He
was married April 24, 1901, to Nellie Mow-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 69 of 201)