Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 7 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 7 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


who married W. C. Warner, of Titusville, Pa."
has a family of five children, Mary, Alex-
ander, William, Frederick and Edith. Mrs.
Nes resides at the old homestead, No. 119
West Market street, where she is honored and
respected.

HON. DANIEL F. LAFEAN, member of
Congress, manufacturer and banker, was born
in York, Feb. 7, 1861. His father, Charles F.
Lafean, a prominent coal merchant, was of
French descent, and his mother, Charlotte,
daughter of Fredrick Kottcamp, of York, was
of German descent. Both of his parents repre-
sented families actively interested in the growth
and development of the borough of York dur-
ing the last century. They were well and
favorably known for their industry, integrity
and such other qualities as develop sturdy man-
hood and womanhood.

Mr. Lafean obtained his education in the
public schools of his native city and early in
life began his successful business career as a
clerk in a store. Being attentive to duty, active
and alert, he soon displayed qualities which
marked him for promotion. After spending a
short time in a notion store he was chosen a
clerk in a large confectionery, owned and con-
ducted by Peter C. Wiest, of York. In his
early manhood he took advantage of all oppor-
tunities afforded, and his employer soon found
that his capabilities fitted him for a higher



position of responsibility and trust. He care-
fully studied the business in which he was en-
gaged and was ever ready to suggest im-
provements. He suggested many improve-
ments and by hard study mastered the details
of the candy business, and in 1878 accepted an
offer from his employer to become a partner
in the business. In 1883 he obtained a third
interest therein. The products of the P. C.
Wiest Company found ready sale and it soon
developed to be one of the largest establish-
ments of its kind in the country. In 1892 Mr.
Wiest retired from the business and in 1895
a stock company was formed and incorporated
under the name of the P. C. Wiest Company,
Mr. Lafean being elected its first president and
treasurer. This responsible position gave him
opportunity to display his remarkable business
qualities and as a result thereof new buildings
were erected and improved machinery added
to enlarge the facilities for manufacturing
candy.

Owing to the rapid increase of the business,
and the inability of the company to secure suf-
ficient help in the city of York to meet the de-
mands for their product, it became necessary
for them to locate at some other point.
Various locations throughout Pennsylvania
were carefully gone over, and on March i,
1898, the business and property of the Breisch-
Hine Company of Philadelphia was purchased
and a corporation under the name of the Amer-
ican Caramel Company was incorporated, with
Mr. Lafean as its first president. The newly
acquired property not only gave them the busi-
ness of the old firm, but still largely increased
the facilities for taking on new trade. The
York and Philadelphia plants, however, in a
few years also became too small to supply the
increasing sales, and in 1900 the company ac-
quired the business and property of the Lan-
caster Caramel Company. This last acquisi-
tion not only increased the volume of business,
but gave to the company a very large foreign
trade, which is being increased every year. Mr.
Lafean is still the president of the American
Caramel Company, whose plants are located at
York, Lancaster and Philadelphia. Mr. Lafean
is one of the pioneers in the confectionery
trade, having been connected with the various
plants for a period of twenty-eight years. He
enjoys the confidence of his competitors, in so
far that his advice is very often asked on points
in which he is not a direct competitor.

Mr. Lafean is connected with various other





T



BIOGRAPHICAL



33



manufacturing concerns of his home town,
among which is the York Silk Manufacturing
Company, of which company he is also the
president. This company has two plants at
York and one each at Carlisle, Fleetwood and
Kutztown, Pa. This company a few years ago
started with one hundred looms and to-day
has upward of one thousand looms, with an
output of nearly two and a half million yards
of black silk fabric per annum. This com-
pany, as well as the one above referred to, has
been forging ahead in leaps and bounds until
to-day it is absolutely necessary to locate in
other sections to secure a sufficient amount of
skilled labor to properly fill the demands made
upon the company for its product.

Notwithstanding his extreme business
activity, Mr. Lafean finds sufficient time to be
devoted to the welfare of the residents of the
20th Congressional district of Pennsylvania,
which he represents in Congress. In August,
1902, he was offered the Republican nomination
for Congress from this district, and notwith-
standing his declination was unanimously
nominated upon the Republican ticket to repre-
sent the counties of York and Adams in the
national halls of Congress. He defeated Judge
William McClean of Gettysburg by a major-
ity of 591. Owing to Mr. Lafean being a
very busy man, and engaged in numerous
manufacturing enterprises, it was thought that
he was only seeking the honor of the office
and that he would not shoulder its responsibil-
ities. In this, however, he agreeably surprised
all, even his political opponents, by taking
hold of the duties of the office and adopting
business methods therein. It was not long until
he gained the confidence of his constituents,
and in 1904 was again unanimously nominated,
and re-elected by a handsome majority of
4,306 over his opponent, William McSherry,
Esq., of Gettysburg, leading President Roose-
velt's vote by 2,117. The promptness with
which he attended to all matters pertaining to
the office was a surprise to all, especially when
it is known that his daily mail figures up into
the hundreds. No constituent of his is turned
away when asking a question or seeking in-
formation. No letters remain unanswered,
but on the contrary are promptly attended to.
In his political office, as in his business career,
Mr. Lafean has made a decided success.

During his three years of service in Con-
gress he has been of great benefit to the old
soldier, his widow and orphans, having in that
3



brief period assisted in having granted them
over six hundred pensions. In the first session
of the LIXth Congress Mr. Lafean was very
successful in obtaining appropriations for his
constituents in both Adams and York counties,
among them being an appropriation of $15,000
for the construction of good roads in Cumber-
land township, Adams county, and $6,000 for
the erection of a new lodge for the superintend-
ent of the National Cemetery at Gettysburg.
The appropriation of $75,000 for a site for a
new Federal Building in the city of York al-
most crowns his laurels. This building, the
plans and drawings for which have been com-
pleted by the Supervising Architect of the Uni-
ted States Treasury Depaitment, will give his
home town one of the finest and most expen-
sive Federal Buildings in the State of Pennsyl-
vania, with the possible exception of Pittsburg
and Philadelphia. While his attention has
been given in this direction he has not over-
looked his rural constituency. During his term,
he has secured complete county Rural Free De-
livery service for the counties of York and!
Adams, every public road in both these coun-
ties being practically traversed by a Rural Free
Delivery carrier. He has not only been of
service to his rural constituency in the matter
of increased mail facilities, but also to his city
constituency, always being ready to co-operate
with the postmaster in the city of York and
various boroughs throughout the district for
the purpose of obtaining the best possible serv-
ice for them.

The earnest and effective work accom-
plished by Mr. Lafean during his short Con-
gressional career endeared him in the hearts
of his constituents to such an extent that he
was renominated for Congress for a third time
by the Republican party. Notwithstanding
the fact that Mr. Lafean's party was torn
asunder by factional feeling on State issues,
he. after the hardest fight known in the history
of this Congressional district, defeated Horace
Keesey, Esq., one of the most prominent Demo-
crats and member of the York county Bar, by
a plurality of 449.

In 1882 Mr. Lafean was married to Miss
Emma Krone, of the city of York, and has
three children : Stuart B., treasurer of the
American Caramel Company and manager of
the plant of this company at York; LeRoy,
student at the LTniversity of Pennsylvania; and
Robert, in attendance at the public schools of
York.



34



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ALBERT HENRY LAFEAN, druggist,
was born at York, Pa., April 4, 1859, son of
Charles F. Lafean, a prominent citizen of York.
He obtained his education in the public schools
of his native city, and in 1878 entered the Phila-
delphia College of Pharmacy. After spending
three years at that institution he was graduated,
in the year 1881. In September, 1881, Mr.
Lafean opened a drug store on the south side
of West Market street, in a building formerly
owned by Gen. Jacob Spangler, three doors
west of his present store. By diligence and
'Careful attention to business he soon built up
a large trade. In 1885 he moved his store to
-No. II West Market street. Here he con-
tinued to prosper in his business. In April,
1886, he took in, as a partner, his brother, Ed-
ward Charles Lafean, who had recently grad-
xiated from the Philadelphia College of
Pharmacy. It was at this time that the firm of
A. H. Lafean & Brother was established. In
■order to have increased facilities to enlarge
their business the firm purchased in November,
1886, the building at Nos. 6 and 8 West Market
street, formerly the private residence of Hon.
Henry Welsh, a leading citizen of York. After
this valuable property was remodeled and
changed from a private residence to a business
house, the firm of A. H. Lafean & Brother,
with improved opportunities, fitted up a drug
store, and continued to do an extensive busi-
ness. In 1904 they extended their room to a
depth of no feet, and when completed and re-
furnished it became one of the most commod-
ious and best equipped drug stores in southern
Pennsylvania. They have a large trade with
the physicians of the city and county of York,
as well as a successful general business. They
also manufacture a number of specialties which
bave had a large sale.

Albert Henry Lafean was married to Ella
A. Neiman, who died in 1890. She was the
daughter of John Neiman, of York. Mr.
Lafean's second wife was Elsie E. Berg,
daughter of Rev. Andrew Berg, a Lutheran
clergyman, who died at Leacock, Lancaster
county. One son was born to Mr. Lafean by
bis first wife, Wilbur Leroy, a graduate of
the York high school in 1901, of the Philadel-
phia College of Pharmacy in 1904, and now
the representative of the American Silk Com-
pany at Chicago.

Mr. Lafean is prominent in Masonic circles.
He is a past master in Zeredatha Lodge, No.
451, served as high priest in Howell Chapter,



No. 199, and also held the responsible position
of eminent commander of York Commandery,
No. 21. He belongs to the Royal Arcanum,
the Artisans and the Bachelors Club. He is a
member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church. In
politics Mr. Lafean is an ardent Republican.
He was elected to the common council for a
term of two years from the Fourth ward of
York, and he enjoys the distinction of having
been elected on the Repubhcan ticket in a
Democratic ward — the first occurrence of the
kind in the history of that ward.

ELLIS SMYSER LEWIS, treasurer of
the York Trust Company, is descended from
two of the oldest families in York county,
Pa. He was born in York, Pa., Feb. 11, 1870,
eldest son of Clay Eli and Ellen Sarah (Smy-
ser) Lewis.

The Lewis family is of ancient lineage,
and of Welsh origin. The founder of that
branch of the Lewis family from whom the
subject of this sketch traces his descent was
Ellis ap Lewis, or Ellis Lewis [the fifth in de-
scent from John ap Griffith, the second son of
Griffith ap Howell (living 1542), Lord of Nan-
nau in Wales], who was born in Merioneth-
shire, Wales, about 1680, his father dying while
he was quite young. He embraced the Quaker
faith, which invited persecution, and about
1698 the family prepared to emigrate to Amer-
ica but were prevented by illness, their house-
hold goods, however, going on. Later they
went to Ireland, and thence to Pennsylvania,
Ellis Lewis' certificate of removal being dated
at Mt. Mellick, Ireland, the 25th day of the
5th month, 1708.

Upon his arrival in Pennsylvania, Ellis
Lewis went first to Haverford, subsequently
settling in Kennett township, Chester county,
where he was highly esteemed, being a "man
of good understanding," and long- an Elder
of Friends. He was twice married, (first) at
Concord Meeting, Chester county. Pa., on the
13th day of the second month, 171 3, to
Elizabeth Newlin; (second) at Falls Meeting,
Bucks county, Pa., on the nth day of the first
month, 1723, to Mary Baldwin, a widow, who
survived him. He died at Wilmington, Del.,
on the 31st day of the sixth month, 1750, and
was buried at Kennett, Pennsylvania.

The first wife of Ellis Lewis, Elizabeth,
was tern on the 3d day of the first month,
1687 or 1688, daughter of Nathaniel Newlin,



BIOGRAPHICAL



35



the owner and settler of Newlin township in
Chester county. Mr. Newlin was a member
of the Provincial Assembly in 1698, et seq. ;
in 1700 one of the Committee on the Revision
of the Laws and Government of Pennsylvania,
subsequently a Justice of the County Courts
(1703 et seq.), and one of the Proprietary's
Commissioners of Property; from 1722 until
his death in 1729, one of the Trustees of the
General Loan Office of the Province. Mr.
Newlin's first wife, mother of Elizabeth, was
Mary Mendenhall, or Mildenhall, of Milden-
hall, County Wilts, England, whom he mar-
ried April 17, 1685. His father, Nicholas
Newlin, an Englishman by birth, came from
Mt. Mellick, Queen's county, Ireland, to
Pennsylvania, in 1683, settling in Concord
township, Chester county. In 1684 he was
commissioned, by Governor Penn, one of the
Justices of the Courts of the county, while in
the following year he was called to the Council
of the Governor and Proprietary, William
Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania. Nicholas
Newlin died in May, 1699.

Ellis Lewis had by his wife, Elizabeth
Newlin, four children, namely : Robert, born
1 714; Mary, born 1716; Nathaniel, born 171 7;
and Ellis, born the 22d day of the third month,

1719- . .

Ellis Lewis, son of Ellis the emigrant, was
married on the 25th day of the second month,
1744, at Birmingham Meeting, Chester Co.,
Pa., to Ruth, daughter of John, an emigrant
from Scotland to Chester county, and Ruth
(Hind) Wilson, and died near Lewisberry,
York county. Pa., in January, 1795, his wife
surviving him. He, with John Rankin and
Joseph Bennett, was among the first settlers
in the northern part of York county, in what
was known as Red Land Valley, near Lewis-
berry. He had two children: Ellis; and Eli,
born Jan. 31, 1750.

Eli Lewis, son of Ellis Lewis, the founder
of Lewisberry, was commissioned Major of
the First Battalion, York County Militia, Oct.
I, 1777. He took part in the battles of the
Brandywine and Germantown, being captured
either during the latter battle or shortly after-
ward, and imprisoned in the Old Sugar House
in New York, which was used by the British
during their occupancy of Philadelphia as a
prison pen. He was a man of very fair liter-
aiy ability, and in 1792 wrote a poem of con-
siderable merit, entitled "St. Clair's Defeat,"



"Inspired by grief, to tender friendship due,
The trembling hand unfolds the tale to view. —
A tale which strongly claims the pitying tear,
And ev'ry feeling heart must bleed to hear."

In August, 1790, he started the Harris-
burg Monitor and Weekly Advertiser, the first
newspaper published in the Capital City. In
1798 he laid out the town of Lewisberry. He
was connected with many public enterprises.
Eli Lewis was married at Londongrove
Monthly Meeting, Chester county. Pa., Nov.
10, 1779, to Pamela Webster, who was born
Nov. 19, 1759, daughter of John and Jane
(Brinton) Webster. Mrs. Lewis died Feb.
20, 1803, and her husband died Feb. i, 1807.
They had children as follows : Webster, born
Oct. 18, 1780; Eliza, born 1782; Phoebe, born
1784; Pamela, born 1787;. EH, born 1789,
president of the First National Bank, York,
Pa.; Juliet, born 1792; Juliet, born 1794;
James, born 1796, attorney-at-law, York, Pa.,
and president of York Bank; and Ellis, born
1798, Chief Justice of Pennsylvania T854-
1857.

Webster Lewis, eldest son of Eli, was born
near what is now the town of Lewisberry, Pa.,
and died at New Cumberland, Cumberland
Co., Pa., May 28, 1832. He was a physician,
and practiced his profession in the country
surrounding Lewisberry. He led in the inno-
\-ation of growing the poppy and making the
opium used in his practice. He was also skilled
in the knowledge and practice of law in the
courts of York county, to which he was ad-
mitted in 1820. He married July 25, 1798,
Mary Nebinger, born March 10, 1779, died
Nov. 16, 1830, daughter of Dr. George and
Ann (Rankin) Nebinger. Ann Rankin was
a descendant of John Rankin and Joseph Ben-
nett, referred to earlier in this sketch. They
had children as follows : Robert Nebinger,
born July 30, 1799; Ann, born 1801 ; George
W., born 1803; Rankin, born 1804; Rebecca
M., born 1808; Eli, born 181 1 ; Andrew, born
1813; and James W., born 1815.

Robert Nebinger Lewis, eldest son of
Webster and Mary (Nebinger) Lewis, was
born at or near Lewisberry, Pa., and died near
Weigelstown, York county, March 16, 1846.
He was a physician of great ability and prac-
ticed for a time with his father at Lewisbern,-,
but later located at Dover, York county, at
which place he lived at the time of his death.
He, with his father, was an active agent of the



36



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



so-called "Underground Railroad," by which
method numerous slaves were aided on their
way to Canada from Maryland and the South.
Several attempts were made on his life by the
slave hunters when they found themselves
balked in their efforts to recover their escap-
ing slaves. On March 28, 1822, Robert Neb-
inger Lewis married Mary Moore, born Feb.
28, 1801, died Dec. 17, 1867, daughter of John
and Sarah (Pugh) Moore. Mary Moore was
a descendant of Andrew Moore, who settled
in Red Land Valley, York county, about 1745
or earlier. They had children as follows :
Josephine S., born 1823, married Dr. Samuel
Meisenhelder; Rebecca M., born 1825, married
Samuel Smyser; Rush Webster, born 1827;
Orfila I., born 1830; Mary A. H., born 1833,
married D. F. W.ilt; Melchinger R., born
1838; and Clay Eli, born April 5, 1844.

Clay Eli Lewis, youngest son of Robert
Nebinger and Mary (Moore) Lewis, was born
in Dover, Pa., and at the time of his death in
York, Dec. 10, 1897, was cashier of the West-
ern National Bank of York, and connected in
an official capacity with several other local
corporations. He married April 26, 1869, in
York, Ellen Sarah Smyser, second daughter
of Joseph and Sarah (Weaver) Smyser, and
had the following children : Ellis Smyser,
born Feb. 11, 1870; Joseph Smyser, druggist;
Mabel R., who was married to Morton C.
Wilt; Sadie M., married to Ralph D.
Smyser; Clay E., attorney-at-law ; Ellen K. ;
Margaret Violet; and Mathias Smyser, at-
tending school at Bordentown, N. J., Military
Institute. Joseph Smyser, born Feb. i, 181 1,
died Jan. 31, 1903, father of Mrs. Lewis, was
the fourth in descent from Matthias Smyser,
who was born Feb. 17, 171 5, at Reigelbach,
Parish Lustenau, Germany, from which place he
emigrated in 1731, first settling in York county
near Kreutz Creek, subsequently settling about
three miles west of York on the farm now be-
longing to the Orphans' Home of York. This
property was bequeathed to that institution by
the late Samuel Smyser, a brother of the
Joseph referred to above.

Ellis Smyser Lewis was born in York,
Pa., and was educated in the public schools
of his native city, and the York County
Academy. In 1885 he entered the Western
National Bank of York as clerk, and in a few
years became its teller. In 1891 he resigned



to accept the position of cashier of the private
bank of Smyser, Bott & Co., and upon its con-
solidation with the York Trust Company in No-
vember, 1894, became teller of the latter institu-
tion. In October, 1899, he was elected treas-
urer of the York Trust Company, which posi-
tion he now holds. He is also connected with
a number of local corporations, being treasurer
of the following concerns : The York & Dover
Electric Railway Co.; York & Dallastown
Electric Railway Co.; Wrightsville & York
Street Railway Co.; Red Lion & Windsor
Street Railway Co. ; York Haven Street Rail-
way Co.; York & Hanover Street Railway
Co.; Wellsville Street Railway Co.; York &
Maryland Line Street Railway Co.; York
Steam Heating Co. ; Edison Electric Light Co. ;
Westinghouse Electric Light, Heat & Power
Co.; York Light, Heat & Power Co.; York
Improvement Co.; York Suburban Land Co.;
Hanover & McSherrystown Street Railway
Co.; and Hanover Light, Heat & Power Co.
He is a director, vice-president and treasurer
of the York Engineering Co. ; a director and
treasurer of the Pennsylvania Securities Co.;
treasurer of the York County Street Railways
Beneficial Association ; and he is treasurer and
secretary of the West End Sewer Co.; York
Hotel Co.; Gettysburg (Pa.) Gas Co.; and
Susquehanna & York Borough Turnpike Co. ;
a director and secretary of the Star Building
& Loan Association ; and a director of the York
Transit Co. (Buffalo, New York).

He is a member of the following societies :
York Lodge, No. 266, F. & A. M. (of which
lodge he is a past master) ; Howell Chapter,
No. 199, Royal Arch Masons; York Comman-
dery, No. 21, Knights Templar; Harrisburg
Consistory, 32d degree, A. A. S. R. ; Pennsyl-
vania Society of Sons of the Revolution; The
Colonial Society of Pennsylvania; Vigilant
Steam Fire & Chemical Engine Co., No. i,
of York, Pa. ; Royal Fire Company, No. 6,
of York, Pa. ; and York County Historical So-
ciety. Mr. Lewis is a Lutheran, a member of
St. Paul's English Evangelical Lutheran
Church, and was a member of its church coun-
cil from 1894 to 1899, during which time he
was its secretary.

In politics Mr. Lewis is a Republican, but
until recently has taken no active part in politi-
cal affairs. In 1904 he was elected a member



BIOGRAPHICAL



37



of the Select Council from the Eleventh ward
of York, for a period of four years, and in
April, 1905, he was elected president of the
Select Council for the ensuing year. In April,
1906, he was again elected to the same position.

On June 14, 1894, Mr. Lewis married, in
Greencastle, Pa., Emma Wilson, daughter of
Captain and Rev. Frederick and Anna E.
(Wilson) Klinefelter, and their children are :
Anna Wilson and Ellis. Mrs. Lewis is a mem-
^r of the Yorktown Chapter of the Society of
the Daughters of the American Revolution,
her father's grandfather having served as a
soldier of that war.

Frederick Klinefelter, father of Mrs.
Lewis, was a descendant of Melchoir Kline-
felter, who emigrated from Germany to Penn-
sylvania in 1750, and settled near Shrewsbury.
He was born in York, Sept. 26, 1836, young-
■est son of Adam and Sarah (Doudel) Kline-
felter, and died in that city July 28, 1903.
He enlisted twice in the Union army during the
Civil war. He left Gettysburg College, where
he was a student, on Lincoln's call for three
months' men, and enlisted April 25, 1861, in
Company H, i6th Pa. V. L, served under Gen.
Patterson in Maryland and Virginia, and was
discharged at the expiration of his term of en-
listment, July 31, 1 86 1. On June 17, 1863, he
was commissioned by Governor A. G. Curtin
Captain of Company A, 26th Pennsylvania
Militia, a company composed of students of
the Theological Seminary and College at
Gettysburg, and mustered out in August, 1863.
On Aug. 7, 1863, he was drafted for United
States service, but was relieved Aug. 25th of
the same year by paying $300 commutation.

Frederick Klinefelter graduated from
Pennsylvania College in 1 862 ; he was a mem-
ber of the Phi Gamma Delta. He graduated
from the Theological Seminary at Gettysburg



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 7 of 201)