Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 70 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 70 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


brey Hitchcott. Like his venerable and gifted
father, Mr. Heller is a Democrat. He belongs
to the Elks, K. of P., Heptasophs, Knights of
Malta, the York Club and the Young Men's
Democratic Society. His religious connection
is with Trinity Reformed Church.

John W. Heller, Jr., was born in York,
May 16, 1874, was educated in the public
schools, graduating from the High school in
1892, and became a clerk in his father's law
office. He was appointed delincjuent tax col-
lector in 1899, 1900 and 1901. In 1902, he
was appointed chief deputy sheriff by Sheriff
Peeling. Mr. Heller was married Dec. 24,
1 90 1, to Regina November, daughter of
Moses November, a wholesale cloak manufac-
turer of New York City, and one son has been
born to this union, William Heller. Mr. Hel-
ler belongs to the Fraternal Order of Eagles
and the Young Men's Democratic Society. He
is a member of the Reformed Church.

EMANUEL HARTMAN. In the early
pioneer epoch, when settlers were few in York
county and when civilization was advancing
with somewhat uncertain footsteps, the Hart-
man family was there founded, and it is pleas-
ingly significant to advert to the fact that ever
since that early period the name has been iden-
tified with the industrial and civic history of
that section of the State. Emanuel Hartman
is a representative of this well-known family
and has passed the major portion of his life in
his native county, being one of the prosperous
farmers of York township.

Jonathan Hartman, his great-grandfather,
was the first representative of the family in
York county. No authentic data are at hand as
to his place of birth, but it is supposed that he
was born in Germany and that he there remain-
ed until he was a young man. At the time of
his locating in York township there were but
few settlers in that section of the county, and
there he took up a large tract of land and set
himself to the task of reclaiming it from the
wilderness, eventuallv developing a good farm



BIOGRAPHICAL



36=



and becoming one of the leading men of the
township. There he continued to be engaged
in agricuhural pursuits until his death, and his
remains rest in a consecrated spot on his old
homestead, as do also those of his wife and
other members of his immediate family. Of
the children of this sterling pioneer, Jacob is to
he accorded special attention since he figures as
the grandfather of him to whom the sketch is
dedicated. Jacob Hartman was born on the
ancestral farmstead in York township, in the
year 1792, and there grew to manhood, becom-
ing a useful member of society and retaining
the high regard of all who knew him. He
ever continued his allegiance to the great basic
industry, agriculture, owning and operating a
good farm in his native township, while he also
gained such marked prestige as a manufacturer
of baskets that his products were in wide and
constant demand. The maiden name of his
wife was Haas, and she likewise was born and
reared in York township. After his marriage
Jacob Hartman took up 270 acres of land in
York township, a large portion of the tract be-
ing covered with the native timber, but he re-
claimed the most of the land to cultivation,
while for several years he operated a distil-
ler}- on the farm which is now owned b}'
H. L. Perry, near Dallastown. Later
he located on the farm now owned and
occupied by Emanuel Hartman, and fin-
ally, in 1864, removed to the vicinity of
Grand Rapids, A\'ood county, Ohio, where he
purchased a large tract of land upon which he
engaged in farming until his death in 1869,
his remains being there laid to rest. After his
death his wife returned to York count)' and
passed the closing years of her life in the home
of her grandson, the subject of this review, her
death occurring in 1881 and interment being
made in the cemeterv of the United Brethren
church at Dallastown. Of the children of this
honored couple is made the following brief rec-
ord : Leah became the wife of John Kauffman
and died in York township : Levi was the
father of Emanuel, to whom this article chiefly
relates ; IMelinda is the widow of David Bort-
ner, and resides at Glen Rock, York county ;
Matilda, who resides in York township, is the
widow of Charles Neff, who died in 1904 ;
Rebecca became the wife of Simon Snyder and
both died in York county; Emanuel, who mar-
ried Leah Rheinhart, is a successful farmer of



W'dikI county. Ohio, and is also a clergyman of
the Alennonite Church.

Levi Hartman, father of Emanuel, was
l)orn on the homestead in York township, and
was there reared to maturity, receiving a com-
m(.)n-school education and assisting in the
work of the farm, while he also learned the
trade of basket-making under the direction of
liis father. He remained at the parental home
until he had attained the age of twentv years,
when he was united in marriage to Miss Leah
Snyder, who likewise was born and reared in
York township, a daughter of Jacob and Katie
I Spctts) Snyder. After this important event
he located on one of his father's farms, and be-
gan an independent career of marked' energy
and correct direction, so that he was not denied
the reward of definite and unequivocal success.
He finall)' came to the farm now occupied by
his son, having purchased the property, in turn,
from his father. The tract comprised seventy-
eight acres of as fine land as is to be found in
this favored section of the Keystone State. He
made many improvements on the place, having
erected the present fine residence and other
substantial buildings, and this, together with
the punctilious care given to the cultivation of
the land, eventuated in making the farm one
of the best in the township. Levi Hartman
was a man of sterling attributes of character,
true and loyal in all the relations of life, and he
not only made for himself a place of influence
in local affairs, but ever retained the respect and
confidence of his fellowmen. He continued to
be actively identified with agricultural pursuits
until his death, which occurred Aug. 14, 1900,
and he rests in the United Brethren cemetery at
Dallastown. Though retaining his farm and
continuing to take an active interest in its man-
agement, he lived practically retired during- the
last twenty years of his life, enjoying the re-
pose and comfort to which he was so well en-
titled after so many years of earnest toil and
endeavor. He was a Democrat in his political
proclivities, and though never a seeker of
office, was at one time an incumbent of the
supervisorship of York township. His relig-
ious faith was that of the United Brethren
Church, of which his wife also was a devoted
member, her death occurring on the 2Sth of
May. 1889. Briefly, the record of their chil-
dren is as follows : Jeremiah S. is at present a
resident of Colorado, has travelled extensi\-elv



?66



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



throughout the West and has resided for vary-
ing intervals in different States. At the out-
break of the war of the Rebehion he enHsted
in a Pennsylvania regiment of volunteer
infantry, remaining in the service four
months, then returning to York county,
and afterward living in Ohio and other
States before locating in Colorado. At
the age of thirty years he wedded Miss
Susan Cook, and they have five children. Re-
becca is the wife of George Snyder and they
reside in the borough of Yoe, York county.
Benjamin, Jane and Gideon died in infancy.
John is married, resides in Nebraska, and is
the father of four children. Emanuel is to be
spoken of more in detail hereafter. Susan is
the wife of Isaac Kohler, a prosperous cigar
manufacturer of the borough of Yoe; they
have five children. Catherine is the wife of
William Hildebrand and they reside in the city
of York, the parents of twelve children. Me-
linda was the wife of William Kohler, of Dal-
lastown; Mrs. Kohler died in 1880, leaving one
child. Annie is the wife of Carlvin Fuhrman,
of York, and is the mother of six children.

In presenting a brief resume of the life of
hiiu whose name introduces this article, it is
first to be noted that Emanuel Hartman was
born on the homesteac? farm in York township,
on the 25th of June, 1853. In addition to as-
sisting in the work of the farm he learned the
trade of basket-making in his youth, this voca-
tion being one which has long been connected
with the family name, as previous statements
indicate. While thus engaged he continued to
attend the Kohler school in his native township
dtu'ing a portion of each year, until he had at-
tained the age of sixteen years. Thereafter he
also continued to assist his father in the work
and management of the farm until he had
reached his legal majority, when he entered
upon an apprenticeship at the stone and brick-
mason's trade. This vocation he followed for
seven years, the greater portion of the period
being passed in the State of Nebraska. He
then returned to York county, and in his native
township continued the work of his trade for
two years, when, in 1880, he married and turn-
ed his attention to farming, locating on his
present homestead, which he operated for his
father "on shares" until 1886, when he pur-
chased the property. He has maintained the
place to the highest standard and has made not



a few improvements of a permanent nature, in-
cluding the erection of a large and substantial
barn and tobacco shed, the raising of tobacco
being one of the important branches of his
agricultural enterprises. For about a decade
Mr. Hartman operated a threshing outfit in
the county, but he now gives his undivided at-
tention to his attractive and model farm. He
takes a lively interest in all that touches the
welfare of the community and is essentially
progressive and public-spirited in his attitude,
while to him is accorded the fullest measure of
popular confidence and regard. In politics he
gives an unswerving allegiance to the Demo-
cratic party and he has been called upon to
serve in the various township offices, includ-
ing those of auditor and school director of his
district, having held the latter oflfice for nine
years. Mr. Hartman was a delegate to the
State Democratic convention, held in Allen-
town in 1896. He is now a candidate for
county commissioner on the Democratic ticket.
He was reared in the faith of the United
Brethren Church, his wife being a member of
the Reformed Church.

On the 5th of Dec, 1880, Mr. Hartman
was united in marriage to Miss Julia Flinch-
baugh, who was born and reared in York town-
ship, being a daughter of John and Julia
(Flinchbaugh) Flinchbaugh, members of old
and honored families of York county. Mr.
and Mrs. Hartman have five children, all of
whom remain beneath the home roof, namely :
Idella, who is the widow of William E. Ness ;
Charles F., who is a cigarmaker by vocation;
and Lillie, Elsie, and Jennings B.

DR. NATHAN C. WALLACE was born
in Dover township Sept. 23, 1855, and is of
Scotch and German descent. His paternal
great-grandfather, Adam Wallace (Dec. 9,
1777-N0V. II, 1858), and his wife, Barbara
(Godfrey) Wallace (May 5, 1770-March 16,
1855), bought. May 18, 181 1, for 57 pounds
and 12 shillings, in gold and silver, a home-
stead of three acres and ninety-six perches, sit-
uated in Dover township about two miles east
from Dover, and resided thereon for forty-four
years. They were the parents of seven chil-
dren : Elizaljeth, married to John Sweitzer;
Rebecca, married to Henry Heltzel ; Catharine,
married to Daniel Lehman ; Nancy, married to
Samuel Billet; Pollv, married to Israel Hof-



BIOGRAPHICAL



367



feins; Michael, married to Sarah Heltzel; and
Daniel (Jan. 17, 1809-Jan. 22, 1879), who
married Mary Bentzel (Jan. 13, 1807-July 14,
1868). The latter were the grandparents of
the subject of this sketch, and they had eleven
children: Adam, (Aug. 23, 1830-Aug. 6,
1876) married Mary Ann Billet; Catharine
(Dec. 31, 1 831) married Jacob Speidle; Bar-
bara (March 17, 1833-Nov. 18, 1868) mar-
ried Henry Mummert; Samuel B. (Dec. 7,
1836-N0V. I, 1906) married Eliza Ann
Keasey; Daniel (Sept. 4, 1838) married Ma-
tilda Rauhouser; Elias (March 18, 1840) mar-
ried Mary Messerly; Mary (March 3, 1842)
married Henry Shaffner; David (Dec. 2, 1843-
May 2, 1865) was killed in the Civil war;
Levi (May 20, 1847) married Anna Becker;
Caroline (April 29, 1850) married Zacharias
Seiple, and Henry (March 21, 1835-Nov. 24,
1 881) married Salome Huber (May 22, 1833).
Henry and Salome (Huber) Wallace are our
subject's parents. They had six children :
Nathan C, Alice J., Moses M., Lucy A., How-
ard H. and Emma S. The maternal grand-
parents of Dr. Wallace were Moses Huber
(July 13, 1791-Oct. 9, i860) and his wife
Elizabeth (Gross) Huber (June 7, 1808-Feb.
3, 1834).

Dr. Nathan C. Wallace was married to
Clara Ann Aughenbaugh, born May 30, 1863,
who was a daughter of Samuel H. Aughen-
baugh, who belonged to a well-known York
county family. To this union have been born
two children: Charles Chester (June 10, 1880),
at present a student in Jefferson Medical Col-
lege, in Philadelphia; and Mabel Florence
(Aug. 9, 1882), a graduate of the State
Normal School at Millersville, Pa., class of
1905, who is at present successfully engaged
in teaching.

Dr. Wallace early in life manifested a great
desire for knowledge. He attended the public
schools of Dover and Conewago townships un-
der the instruction of his father, who was a
teacher. After attending a session at Union
Seminary, New Berlin, Union Co., Pa., and
another at a select school for boys at Mechan-
icsburg, Cumberland Co., Pa., he began to
teach at a public school at fifteen years of age.
For several years following his time was occu-
pied alternately teaching during the winter and
attending the State Normal School at Millers-
ville during the summer, and he finally grad-
uated from that institution of learning in the



class of 1879. During the summers of 188a,
1881 and 1883, while studying medicine, he
taught a select school in Dover for the prepara-
tion of teachers, and so successful was he that
for a number of years nearly all the schools of
Dover township were taught by "graduates of
his college," some of whom are still in the pro-
fession after twenty-five years of continuous
teaching. He entered Jefferson Medical Col-
lege in the fall of 1881, and graduated from
that institution in 1883. After taking a post-
graduate course of one year in Philadelphia he
located in the spring of 1884 in Dover, where
he has been in continuous and successful prac-
tice to the present time among those who have-
known him from childhood.

The Doctor began life without any pe*-
cuniary advantages, but by dint of hard work
and the practice of self-denial and economy-
worked his way through school and co'llege,
and won a competence in life. He is an active
member and a past president of the York
County Medical Society, and has served as a
member of its board of censors. He was a.
member of the Dover town council and was.
borough treasurer for five years, and postmas-
ter of Dover for eleven years. He is a mem-
ber of the Board of Health and has served as
delegate to County and State conventions a.
number of times. In politics he is a Repub-
lican, in religion a Lutheran, but conservative
in both. He is a past president and a trustee
of Washington Camp, No. 55, P. O. S. of A.,
located in Dover, and he is also a member of.
ithe Masonic fraternity.

HENRY A. BAIR, president of the Peo-
ple's Bank of Hanover, has been a prominent
business man of that town for many years.
From the prosecution of a trade he has arisen
to his present honorable and responsible posi-
tion in the commercial and financial world. He
is a native of the borough of Hanover, where
he was born Sept. 11, 1836. the son of John
and Julia Ann (Snyder) Bair, and the grand-
son of Jacob and Jane (Zellers) Bair. The
grandparents were natives of Maryland, from
which State they migrated to Pennsylvania.

John Bair, the father of Henry A., was
born in New Oxford, Adams county. Pa., in
the year 1807; his wife, Julia Ann Snyder, was
born in the borough of Hanover in 18 14. In
the earlier years of his adult life John Bair was
by occupation a farmer, but later formed a co-



368



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



partnership in the tanning business with
George Nace, a prominent citizen of Hanover,
who afterward disposed of his interest in the
tannery to Geo. Thomas, with whom ]\Ir. Bair
continued business under the firm name of
Bair & Thomas. They were large shippers of
leather to Philadelphia, Baltimore and other
Eastern markets, and continued a successful
business tmtil the death of Mr. Bair, the senior
partner, which occurred in 1872, his wife sur-
viving him ten years. In politics John Bair
was a Whig and later a Republican. He was
a consistent member of the Lutheran Church
and for many years a representative on the
school board from the borough of Hanover.
To John and Julia Ann Bair were born four
children, namely: Jacob, William, Henry A.,
and George.

Henry A. Bair was reared in his native
borough and attended the public schools until
the age of fifteen, when he learned the carpen-
ter's trade with Mr. Steffy at Hanover. His
trade acquired, Mr. Bair traveled for a few
years as a journeyman, working both at Balti-
more and at Washington, D. C. Returning to
Hanover he there engaged in the work of his
trade. In i860 he began the manufacture of
cigar boxes and continued successfully until
1874, when he sold his manufactory to his son
William Bair, and to his son-in-law, Charles
Sourber. Mr. Bair became interested in the
People's Bank of Hanover soon after it was
founded. In 1899 he was elected vice-presi-
dent of the institution which active position he
filled until January, 1904, when at the death of
John C. AUewalt he was elected to the presi-
dency of the bank. Mr. Bair is also president
of the Hanover Building and Loan Association
and is director of the Board of Mt. Olivet
cemetery.

Henry A. Bair was married in 1858 at Han-
over, to Margaret, daughter of Peter and Anna
Balmberger, and to them were born two chil-
dren вАФ William A., now deceased; and Annie
M., who married Charles Sourber, of Hanover.
Mr. Sourber died in 1899, his widow and three
children surviving. Mr. Bair is a prominent
member of St. Mark's Lutheran Church, of
which he has served as elder since 1899. He
is a leader also in the fraternal orders. He is
a member of Patmos Lodge, No. 348, A. F. &
A. M., of Hanover; Good Samaritan Chapter
of Gettysburg, Pa. ; Royal Arch Masons of



Gettysburg; York Commandery, No. 21^
Knights Templar, and the A. A. O. N. M.
S. of Reading. His long and varied busi-
ness experiences at Hanover, his clear
judgment and firmness of purpose, his-
activity in various public enterprises making
for the betterment of the community in which
he lives, combine to constitute in him one of
the most valuable citizens of Hanover and have
won for him a place of high esteem in the
hearts and minds of his many friends.

ELI FREE GROVE, the able and popu-
lar manager of Southern Pennsylvania for the
Singer Sewing Machine Company, resides in
a beautiful and hospitable home at No. 137"
East Market street, York. Mr. Grove is a de-
scendant in direct line from Hans Grafif, a
most notable pioneer of Pennsylvania, whose
descendants, numbering many thousands, have
been prime factors in the settlement and de-
velopment of this Commonwealth. Especially^
in a supreme degree, have the members of the
family participated in the material, moral and
religious uplifting of the County of York.

Peter Graff, an ancestor of Eli F. Groves-
was in the days of the early pioneers a resident
of Groff's Run, Lancaster county, and the old
mansion in which he lived still stands, in quite
a remarkable state of preservation. Another
progenitor was a patriot of the Revolution, fur-
nishing large stores of ammunition to the Con-
tinental army, and thus entitling his descend-
ants to membership in the Sons of the Ameri-
can Revolution.

Eli Free Grove was born on the old home-
stead, son of Henry Grove, a farmer of Hope-
well township, York county. He was educated
in the schools of the district. After spending
a year in the West he returned to Pennsyl-
vania, locating in the city of York, and be-
coming manager- for the Singer Sewing Ma-
chine Company. For more than a quarter of
a century in their employ, he has been steadily
advancing, and since 1892 has been manager
of the southern 'Pennsylvania district, which
now has about thirty offices within its juris-
diction. For the effective discharge of its
duties the position requires both tact and ex-
ecutive ability, and these qualities are possessed
by Mr. Grove in an unusual degree.

Outside of his business and domestic re-
lations Mr. Grove is interested in the work of




^^^^^C:r:z^



BIOGRAPHICAL



369



the First Presbyterian Church, of which he is
an earnest member. He is also connected with
the Lafayette Outdoor and Country Chibs. In
a word, he is a sociable, affable gentleman,
conscientious and generous in his dealings with
his fellows, an able, energetic business man
and a model citizen.

Mr. Grove's wife was formerly Miss Lucy
Peeling, daughter of John Peeling, of York.
Their only child, F. Marie, is a student in Miss
Anable's Finishing School, Broad and Pine
streets, Philadelphia. Mrs. Grove also comes
of American stock distinguished for its close
connections with the historical events which
mark the founding of the national life. Some
of her ancestors held office under the Colonial
government, thus entitling her to membership
in the Society of Colonial Dames. Robert
Peeling, her great-grandfather, in 1776 fought
in the battle of Long Island as a member of the
Pennsylvania Rifle Regiment, and was one of
the signers of the petition addressed to the
committee of safety of the Province of Penn-
sylvania, praying for an investigation of the
grievances and hardships of his fellow soldiers.
Such facts as these have entitled Mrs. Grove
to place her name on the roll of the Daughters
of the American Revolution.

SMITH. The Smiths of York county are
of Scotch descent, but little is known of the
family history prior to their emigration to
Pennsylvania. Their name was, however, orig-
inally Macdonald, and the particular branch
now represented in York county by James
Herr and Calvin Grier Smith participated in
that great exodus from Scotland to the North
of Ireland in the time of James I. Near the
close of the Seventeenth centur}', in the north-
eastern part of Ireland, dwelt the father of
John Smith, the emigrant, wdio planted the
family in Pennsylvania. Like many of the
country folk of his day this ancestor, at that
time known as Macdonald, was something of a
blacksmith. Just before the battle of the
Boyne, the horse of King William III, who
personally led his troops in battle, cast a shoe.
Macdonald, in the absence of a skilled farrier,
offered to replace it. After his service for
the king whose cause he espoused his
neighbors called him "the Smith," thus
distinguishing him from the many others of
the name Macdonald. Proud to have his



name thus linked with that of his ruler, and in
so great a battle as that of Boynewater, this
sturdy son of the clan Macdonald accepted his
new name, and handed it down to his posterity.
The industry of the Scots in clearing homes in
Ireland won them peace and prosperity,but their
success invited the interference of the English
government, which insisted on the payment of
tithes to the Established Church and attempted
to establish uniformity of ritual. As Presby-
terians these attempts excited the Scots to rebel,
and as the exactions grew and the discrimina-
tions against them became more and more ex-
acting, the sturdy colonists determined to seek
new homes under the kindly Penn in the New-
World.

Among the first of these emigrants were
John and Susanna Smith, who in 1720, after a
long and stormy voyage, landed at Philadel-
phia, with their son, Robert, born at sea. In
their party were some of the best Scotch set-
tlers in Ireland, men of property and education,
clergymen and scholars, whose learning and ac-
complishments did so much for the classical
and theological schools of southeastern Penn-
sylvania, in which they became teachers. Push-
ing westward into Chester county, they took up
lands in the hilly country of Uwchlan township,
long known as the Brandywine settlement.
With John and Susanna Smith came his sister
Mary, who married Alexander Fulton, and



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 70 of 201)