Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 72 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 72 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the means wherewith to build a fine brick
home. This was in the year i860, the same
year that he was married to Angeline Kruger,
who was born in 1837, daughter of Henry
and Anna Mary ( Solders) Kruger. of York
county.

In 1863 Virtue C. Grove enlisted in Com-
pany G, 1 66th P. V. I., as a drummer, and



BIOGRAPHICAL



375



was in ser\'ice nine months. In 1864 he re-
enhsted in Company D, 202d P. V. I., again as
a drummer, and this time was out for one
year. As a result of exposure to all kinds and
conditions of weather, Mr. Grove is. deaf in
one ear, and the other is slightly affected.
Mr. Grove intended enlisting to go to the
Mexican war, but listened to the entreaties
of his aged mother, of whom he was the sole
support, and changed his mind. Since 1866
Mr. Grove has lived a retired life in the home
which he built in i860. Mrs. Grove is highly
educated and a very cultured lady, and is very
fond of good literature.

The children born to Virtue C. Grove and
his wife were as follows: Luther, born Nov.
13, i860, died Aug. 19, 1889; Clara, deceased,
born Aug. 16, 1862, married Logan Rife; and
Anna Mary, born July 29, 1866, died Oct.
27, 1895. Mr. and Mrs. Gro\'e adopted Miss
Pearl Shadt when she was eight years old,
and have watched her grow to womanhood
under their tender care.

Mr. Grove is a stanch Republican, and
vote's his ticket straight. He has been called
upon to fill numerous township ofiices, among
them being those of chief burgess, council-
man, clerk of the board and inspector, all of
which offices he has filled efficiently and honor-
ably. Mr. Grove is also c[uite an athlete, and
for a number of years was a champion skater,
and even now many younger men would hesi-
tate before thejr would engage him in a walk-
ing competition. Mr. Grove is one of the
grand old men of Lewi sherry borough, and
his friends and admirers are countless.

ROSS FAMILY. Some time prior to the
year 1723, and in advance of the great inflow
of the Scotch-Irish from the North of Ireland
to the American Colonies, in 1727, in com-
pany with a few pioneers as sturdy and ven-
turesome as himself, there came to this country
a young Scotch-Irishman by the name of Hugh
Ross. Emigrating from Carrick-Fergus,
County Antrim, Ireland, he settled at a point
just a few miles west of the Susquehanna
river, near Nelson's Ferrv (now [NlcCall's
Ferry), in what was then Lancaster county,
and now Lower Chanceford township. York
county. He located his home on a part of the
tract known as "Solitude." at a place known
as "Ross Chance," under Letters Patent from



Thomas and Richard Penn, signed and sealed
by John Penn. This tract of land has re-
mained in the possession of the family to this
day, and is now the home of Hugh Ross, a
great-great-grandson. From papers in the
possession of the family the inference' is that
he was married before settling in York county.
All that is known of his wife is that her chris-
tian name was Elizabeth, surname unknown,

Hugh Ross was the son of James Ross, of
Carrick-Fergus, Ireland, who died at that
place at an unknown date. He had three
brothers, who subsec^uently followed him to
America : William, who located at Fagg's
]\Ianor, Chester county ; James ; and John
Ross, who was a sea captain and settled in
Connecticut. Hugh Ross died in February,.
1780, and was probably buried in Guinstou
Church cemetery. The Letters Patent on
parchment, from Thomas and Richard Penn,
and his will, are still in the possession of the
family.

Hugh Ross had two sons and three daugh-
ters. William, Joseph, Elizabeth, Janet and
Mary. The second son, Joseph, married Jane
Graham, and located near Delta, Peach Bot-
tom township. They had three children, one
of whom, James, moved to Pittsburg, be-
came a noted lawyer, and was a United States
senator from Pennsylvania from 1797 to 1803.
Elizabeth Ross married Alexander McCand-
less, of Peach Bottom township. Janet mar-
ried Joseph Reed, of Chanceford township.
yiary married John Purdon, whose son, John,
was the author of Purdon's Digest,

William Ross, the first son of Hugh, was
born in 1737. and was reared upon the home
farm, where he passed his entire life and died
on April 3. 1818, being buried in the Chance-
ford Presbyterian Church cemetery. He joined
the 4th Battalion of York county in 1775 as
a pri\-ate, and was raised from the ranks suc-
cessively to sergeant, lieutenant, captain and
major of same organization, and was elected
colonel of the 6th Battalion of York county
April 5. 1778. He saw active service around
Amboy. N. J., New York City, and particu-
larly at Fort Washington, where many of his
troops were killed or captured, being- taken
prisoners and imprisoned in the prison ship
"Jersey," In ci\-ic life he was always active,
being a justice of the peace for twenty-seven
vears, and was alsci a representative in the Gen-



376



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



eral Assembly at Philadelphia in 1778. He
was twice married. His first wife was Marga-
ret Evans, of Cecil county, Md., who was born
in 1757 and died Dec. 4, 1793. From this
union there were born one son and two daugh-
ters. Hugh, Elizabeth and Sarah. Elizabeth
married Col. Thomas Neil, of Fites Eddy,
Lancaster county. Sarah married John Long,
of Chestnut Level, Lancaster county. William
Ross" second wife was Mrs. Margarette Nel-
son, of Harford county. Mid., who died Oct.
I, 1 82 1. He had no issue by this marriage,
but a son of Mrs. Nelson by her former mar-
riage Avas the Rev. Alexander Nelson, who
settled near Chambersburg, and became the
ancestor of the Nelson family of that place.

Hugh Ross,, the only son of William Ross,
was born at the old homestead May 10, 1785.
His early life was spent on his father's farm.
He intended making law his profession, but
while attending school at Hugh Whiteford's
Latin School, in Harford county, he bit his
tongue during a severe illness, which accident
so affected his speech that, fearing he could
never make a public speaker, he abandoned the
study of law. He succeeded his father as
justice of the peace, and, because of his knowl-
edge of law, sound judgment and good com-
mon sense, he was known as one of the best
counselors in the county. This office was held
by him for forty years, and during that entire
time his counsel was always on the side of a
peaceful adjustment of difficulties, and he al-
wavs urged a settlement without resorting to
law. Like his father he served his country
in times of war as well as in times of peace,
being in the war of 181 2. In the latter part
of his life he moved from the old Ross home-
stead to an adjoining property owned by him
and now known as the Keyser place, where
he died on Aug. 31, 1873.

On June 25, 1829, Hugh Ross married
Rebecca Glenn, of Harford county, Md., who
was born Dec. 22. 1793, and survived him
until March 18, 1877. They were both in-
terred in Chanceford cemetery. To them were
born three children, William Glenn, James
Evans and Rebecca Isabel Heddington.

James Evans Ross, born Oct. 19, 1831,
married Miriam E. Warren, of Delaware. He
located in Mexico, Mo., where he became a
prominent citizen, being president of the bank
at that place, also an associate judge of



Audrain county. He also had large landed
interests in Texas. He died Jan. 4, 1900.
He had five children: Hugh, of Baird, Texas;
]\Iay, deceased ; Etta, wife of ^^^ AW Hub-
bard, of Chestertown, yh\. ; Julia, of Mexico,
Mo., and Evans, wife of Bird Hix INIcGarvey,
of Kansas City, Missouri.

The daughter, Rebecca Isabel Hedding-
ton, born Oct. 22, 1835, married Harry Key-
ser, of Philadelphia, who located in Lower
Chanceford township, near Airville. To this
union were born four children : Harry, who
died in infancy; Rebecca Glenn, wife of Rev.
C. B. Cross, of Mooredale, Pa. ; E. Winches-
ter, of Bridgeton, Pa., cashier of the First
ational Bank, of Delta, Pa. ; and Katharine
Wallace, wife of C. C. Smith, of Airville,
Pennsylvania.

William Glenn Ross, the oldest son, was
born at the homestead Sept. 29, 1830. He
was educated in the public schools and at the
Academy near Chanceford Church, after
which he took a course at Chamberlain's Com-
mercial College, in Baltimore. After com-
pleting his education he returned home ' and
engaged in farming, being a close student of
advanced methods, and was a successful
farmer. He was also prominent in com-
mercial and financial life, being one of the
promoters of the York & Peach Bottom rail-
way, and remained a director in the corpora-
tion until his death. He was also a director
of the First National Bank, of York, Pa.,
until his death, on Jan. 18, 1884. On May
28, 1863, he was married to Julia Ann Mc-
Conkey, daughter of Major James McCon-
key, of Peach Bottom, Pa., the officiating
clergA'man being Rev. T. M. Crawford, of
Slateville Presbyterian Church. She was
born at Peach Bottom on Oct. 2, 1837, and
died Dec. 30, 1898. Both she and her husband
are buried in Chanceford Presbyterian Church
cemeterv, in which church they were earnest
workers. To William Glenn and Julia Ann
(McConkey) Ross there were born three chil-
dren : Mary Rebecca, who died in infancy ;
Marian Woodside, and Hugh.

Marian Woodside, daughter of William
Glenn Ross, was born Sept. 29, 1871, and on
Oct. 17, 1900, married Joseph Roy Showalter,
of Oxford, Pa. To them have been born two
childiven, Julia McConkey, who died in in-
fancv, and Evans McDonald. Mr. and 'Sirs.



BIOGRAPHICAL



377



Showalter now reside on a farm near Wood-
bine, Pennsylvania.

From the earliest history of the family,
down to the present time, they have been Cal-
vinistic in their religious belief, and have been
earnest workers and conscientious supporters
of their church. Hugh Ross, the second, was
for many years and until his death a ruling
elder in Chanceford Presbyterian Church. In
political faith he was a stanch Republican and
was an active supporter of his party, and his
descendants to this day have been faithful fol-
lowers of the principles of the Republican
party.

PAUL WINEBRENNER, cashier of the
Hanover (Pa.) Savings Fund Society, is dis-
tinctively a type of the successful business
man. In his early boyhood days he breathed
the atmosphere of an active mercantile life
in the store of his father, a successful mer-
chant, and before he had reached the age of
nineteen years his experience in the business
world was as wide as that of many men of
twice his age. He had at that age already
chosen his life work, and be has. ever since
devoted his business energies to the oldest bank
in this part of the State. During his career of
the past twenty years he has emerged from a
modest clerkship by successive promotions to
a responsible official position. As an efficient
banker he has combined talent and industry
in the accjuisition of his present high standing
ii) the community.

Mr. Winebrenner was born in the borough
of Hanover, Feb. 7, 1866, son of Charles M.,
and Laura (Bange) AVinebrenner. His
mother was the daughter of William and
Ellen (Bargelt) Bange, early settlers of York
county. Of the eight children of Charles M.
and Laura Winebrenner, five arrived at adult
age, namely : Bertha M., widow of C. J.
Smith ; Nellie, wife of George Foney, a
farmer ; Harry, assistant postmaster ; Addie,
Avife of Charles Myers; and Paul. Charles M.,
the father, who was born in 1837, was en-
gaged in the hardware business at Hanover
for a number of years, and is still living.

Paul Winebrenner received his education
at Hanover, but he left school' at the age of
ten years. When a boy he assisted in his fath-
er's store during the summer months and at
the age of eleven vears he entered the store



of J. L. Emlet of Hanover, with whom he re-
mained for five years, thoroughly mastering
the drug trade. Mr. Winebrenner was then
for three years with the Adams Express Com-
pany and the Western Union Telegraph Com-
pany, as agent of the former, and operator for
the latter (under D. W. Bangs). The next
twelve months Mr. Winebrenner was em-
ployed as operator and station agent for the
Baltimore & Harrisburg Railway Company
under Superintendent H. D. Scott. In 1885
he accepted a position as clerk and bookkeeper
in the bank of the Hanover Savings Fund So-
ciety, holding that place until 1891, when he
was promoted to the assistant treasurership of
the institution. In 1903 he was advanced to
the position of cashier which he has since filled
most acceptably.

In politics Mr. Winebrenner is a Repub-
lican and for two years he served as a mem-
ber of the school board. He is prominent in
the local fraternal orders, his affiliations in-
cluding membership in Patmos Lodge, No.
348, F. & A. M. ; Gettysburg Chapter, R. A.
M. ; Gettysburg Commandery, K. T. ; and the
Mystic Shrine at Reading. He is also a mem-
ber of the P. O. S. of A.

Mr. Winebreinner was married Jan. 17,
1889, to Miss Katie Sumwalt of Baltimore,
Md., daughter of Jacob D., and Katherine S.
(Stanford) Sumwalt of that cit^^ To Mr.
and Mrs. Winebrenner have been born three
children : L. Margaret, Charles Earle and
Katherine. Himself and wife are active mem-
bers of Emanuel Reformed Church of which
he was for ten years deacon and secretary.
The Winebrenner home is an attractive and
well furnished residence at No. 446 Carlisle
street, and the family is prominent in the so-
cial affairs of the community.

MORDECAI A. POSEY, M. D. In the
death of M^ordecai A. Posey, Chanceford town-
ship and York county lost one of its most
energetic and honored citizens. He was born
Jan. 24, 1854, on the Posey farm in Lower
Chanceford township. During the first fifteen
or sixteen years of his life he had the expe-
riences common to most farmer boys, and
when old enough to attend school, divided his
time between work on the farm and study in
the public school of the neighboring village.
The days devoted to work each year were



378



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



many more than those given to study, but he
tinisiied the course with credit. His thirst for
knowledge was not satisfied by what he had
leamed when the hmited curriculum of this
school was finished, and he attended River Hill
school. Lower Chanceford township, with the
view of fitting himself for teaching. He
taught school for five years вАФ first in the
Strinestown school, Conewago township, and
next in Lower Chanceford township, and in
the meantime having chosen the practice of
medicine as his life work, he pursued the
study of that science with Dr. B. F. Porter,
and later, in 1882, graduated from Jefferson
Medical College, at Philadelphia. He imme-
diately began the practice of his profession, iu
which he was successful from the start. He
built up a large practice at Collinsville, and
stood well among the physicians of that part
of the State. Dr. Posey's career affords a
good illustration of the success that is certain
to attend the man that selects a congenial busi-
ness or profession, and keeps industriously
at it.

Dr. Posey was greatly interested in mat-
ters educational, and at the time of his death,
Oct. 27, 1904, was serving as school director
in his second term. His was the largest funeral
ever held in the section in which he had been
a valued resident, it being over a mile in
length, while 1,400 persons were at the house
and Church services. Dr. Posey, while not an
otfice-seeker, was quite active in the work of
the Democratic party, of which he had been a
life-long member. He was reared in the faith
of the M. E. Church, and while not a mem-
ber, was always a liberal contributor to the
same.

Dr. Posey married in Chanceford town-
ship, in 1878, Miss Rebecca C. Wise, daugh-
ter of Henry Wise, a farmer of that township.
Nine children were born to Dr. and Mrs.
Posev, as follows : Daniel, in the employ of
the American Telephone Company; David,
who is attending a medical college at Balti-
more : Alary, a teacher in the home schools ;
Aland AI. : Clara M. ; and B. Frank; and three,
Henry H., Jacob R. and Edward H., deceased.

JOHN MYERS was born March 20,
1803, in Adams county. Pa., of German de-
scent, and came to York in 1850. He was a
farmer, anrl in York engaged in hotel-keeping



until 1859, when he retired, renting his hotel
to Mr, Frank Alyers. He died Aug. 30, 1868.
He was a captain in the State militia for
twelve years. He was a Republican in politics,
and served three years as county commis-
sioner, and also in minor offices, being an effi-
cient and faithful official. He and his wife
and all their children were connected with the
Lutheran Church. Mr. Myers was a devoted
husband, a kind father and a respected and
honored citizen.

Mr. Myers married Eleanor Hummer,
who was born Feb. 5, 18 10, in York county, of
English descent and died Nov. 5, 1871. Both
are buried in Prospect Hill cemetery, York.
They had seven children, as follows : Solo-
mon, who is mentioned below: Julia (Airs.
Smyser), born April 13, 1831 ; Harriet (Airs.
Mundorf), born June 23, 1834; Alatilda (Airs.
Spangler and now the widow of Sanford B.
Gleason), born Oct. 12, 1836; Leah H., born
May'io, 1840, who died Alay 15, 1884; Sarah
Ellner (Mrs. Brubaker), born Oct. 15, 1843;
and Sarah Jane, born Nov. 5, 1848, who died
Dec. 12, 1849.

CAPT. SOLOAION AIYERS. in his life-
time one of the most highly esteemed residents
of York, Pa., and one of the heroes of the
Civil war, was born March 14, 1829, in Lati-
more township, Adams Co., Pa., son of John
and Eleanor (Hummer) Myers.

Solomon Myers was reared to farming in
Adams and York counties, following that call-
ing until twenty-one years old. He received a
good education, and for thirteen years was en-
gaged in teaching in York county, nine years
in the borough of York. He won his title
during his service in the Civil war. He was
not only one of the most gallant officers from
York county, but was also one of those most
honored and beloved by their comrades. His
record reflects credit upon him both as a man
and as a loyal, valiant soldier. In 1861, as
a member of the Worth Infantry, of York, he
was assigned to the i6th Regiment, Pennsyl-
vania Volunteers, as second lieutenant of
Company A ; was promoted to first lieutenant,
and was mustered out after a service of three
and a half months. Then he organized a com-
pany which became Company E, 87th Regi-
ment, and of which he became captain. He
served in all the engagements of his command





^




^i^^





ty




BIOGRAPHICAL



379



except the battle of the Wilderness, when he
was on detached duty, and was mustered out
Oct. 14, 1864.

In 1 86 1 Capt. Myers was elected a justice
of the peace, but was 'then unable to serve on
account of his military obligations. After the
war, however, he took up the duties of that
office, in which he continued to serve until his
death, except for one term. He was also hon-
ored by his fellow-citizens by being elected to
the office of alderman, from the Ninth ward, a
position that he filled with efficiency and fidel-
ity. From 1882 until his decease he was en-
gaged in dealing in pianos, organs and musical
instruments generally, carrying a general stock
from all the leading makers. Capt. Myers was
a Republican in political sentiment, and his
religious connection was with Zion Lutheran
Church, of which he was an active member.
His memory is cherished with that of other
worthy citizens of York.- He passed away
Sept. 14, 1886, at the age of fifty-seven years,
six mou'ths, and is buried at Prospect Hill
cemetery.

Fraternally Capt. Myers was connected
with the Free Masons, and served as treasurer
of his lodge, and he also belonged to the I. O.
O. F., in which he was likewise active, repre-
senting his own lodge in the Grand Lodge of
the State.

On Dec. 8, 1872, Capt. Myers and Marga-
ret A. Orwig, daughter of John and Nancy
Fiddler (Waltmyer) Orwig, were united in
marriage. Mrs. M'yers' grandmother, Regina
Fiddler, who came to America in girlhood
from Sweden, was of noble birth. John Or-
wig was born June 6. 1823, and was a farmer
of Shrewsbury township, also doing business
as a commission merchant. His property con-
tinued in the possession of the family until after
his death, which took place Jan. 31, 1882,
when he was fifty-eight years old. He mar-
ried Nancy Fiddler Waltmyer, who survived
until Jan. 11, 1902, dying at the age of seven-
ty-nine years; she was born March 29, 1823.
They are buried at Shrewsbury. They were
active in the U. B. Church, and he was a Re-
publican in politics. Mr. and Mrs. Orwig were
married Oct. 22, 1846, and the following chil-
dren, were born to their union : Louisa Ann,
born Aug. 8, 1847, '^^'ho married Edward Gem-
mille, a lumber dealer of Shrewsbury, York
county; Margaret Amelia, born Jan. 12, 1849,



the widow of Capt. Myers; Cyrus Otterljine,
born April 24, 1851, a contracting carpenter
of New Freedom, York county ; and Annanias
Valentine, born June 4, 1853, who has been
trainmaster on the Pennsylvania railroad,
Frederick division, for the past thirty years.
Mrs. Myers resides in a beautiful home in
York, situated at No. 308 West Market street.
Its erection was commenced by the father of
the late Capt. Myers, the Captain purchasing
and completing it, making it one of the ele-
gant residences of this portion of the city. It
is adorned with many rare articles of value and
beauty, gathered by Mrs. Myers in her travels,
including art treasures and curios from every
quarter of the globe. To see and enjoy them
in the countries from which they have been
brought would require years of travel and the
expenditure of thousands of dollars. After
visiting almost every State in the Union Mrs.
Miyers in 1889 spent some time at Honolulu,
in the Sandwich Islands. In 1891 she joined
a party of friends with whom she traveled
through nine countries of Europe, seeing the
best they could offer to the leisurely tourist,
and in 1900 she went over for the Paris Expo-
sition, before returning making a tour of Scot-
land, Belgium, England and France. A
woman of high intelligence, and possessing
natural and cultivated faculties of observation,
she has acquired much in her extensi\-e jour-
neyings, and being endowed with fine conver-
sational powers she is delightfully entertaining.

GEORGE W. KERR (deceased), a son of
Mathew Kerr, Sr., was the eldest of the native
born citizens of Wrightsville, where he first
saw the light July 4, 1826. He was a success-
ful contractor and builder, and, prior to his
decease, had lived in retirement in Wrights-
ville for a number of years. Mr. Kerr attend-
ed the subscription and the public schools, and
at seventeen years of age began to learn the
carpenter's trade, serving a three years' ap-
prenticeship with Solomon Zorbaugh. He
was also a millwright, and nearly all his life
had been occupied in the erection of buildings
of various kinds, many of the fine structures in
the township having been erected by him.

On Nov. 25, 1851, Mr. Kerr married, in
Wrightsville, Jane Virginia Bahn, who was
born in Hellam township, 'Sept. 8. 1829, and
was educated in the village schools. Her par-



^8o



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ents, Jacob and Elizabeth (Libhart) Bahn,
were both natives of Hellam township, and
after their marriage removed to Marietta,
Lancaster county. Later they came to \Vrights-
ville, where Mr. Bahn was engaged in the
lumber business and in farming. The last
years of his life were spent in retirement, and
he died Jan. 13, 1886. His wife survived
him until June 4, 1894. Air. Bahn was a Re-
publican in political faith, and both he and his
wife were members of the Reformed Church.
They were the parents of the following chil-
dren : Morgan L., of Bethlehem, Pa.; Jane
Virginia, wife of George W. Kerr; Caroline
JNI., widow of George K. Thomson, M. D. ;
Jacob, who married Julia Strawbridge, and
died in York ; and Susan, who married the late
Andrew Watt, and is also deceased. The
grandfather' of Mrs. Jane Virginia (Bahn)
Kerr, was Henry Bahn, a prominent citizen
and prosperous farmer of Hellam township,
where he lived and died. He married Cath-
erine Morgan, whose father was killed in his
own home by Hessian soldiers, enraged be-
cause he refused them whiskey.

Mr. Kerr had lived continuously in
Wrig-htsville since his marriage, and several
years ago retired from active business life.
He cast his first vote for Polk, and had always
been a stanch adherent of the Democratic
party. He and his wife were members of the
Presbyterian Church. They had a family of
six children, as follows : Ida L., who attended



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 72 of 201)