Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 73 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 73 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the Wrightsville public schools and York
Academy, for some years was a teacher in
Wrightsville and Spring Garden, and is now at
home; Alice E. is Mrs. D. W. Weltzhoffer, of
York; Morgan B., of Columbia, Pa., married
Adelaide Eck; George T., married Anna R.
Al'iller, and agent for the Pennsylvania Rail-
way Co., at Hanover; Glen W. is a telegraph
operator of Chester county, Pa. : and Sally
died in 1886, aged twenty-two years.

JACOB D. ZOUCK. Since Januaiy,
1899. Jacob D. Zouck has been president of
the First National Bank of Hanover, Pa. The
honor came to him at the age of forty-two —
early in life, it may well be considered, for in
the financial world the leaders are usually men
of more ripened years. But Air. Zouck had
for eleven years previous been a director in the
bank, and in addition had a wide experience in
business affairs.



Air. Zouck was born in Baltimore county.
Aid., Alay 19, 1857, the son of George C. and
Ann Maria (Ditzler) Zouck, and in 1865 he
removed with his parents to Hanover. His
education was received in the public schools of
that place, supplemented by an attendance at a
private school. His business career began as
a clerk in a dry goods store at Baltimore, Md.
In 1876 he returned to Hanover and there em-
barked in business for a time. In AIa.rch:,
1898, Air. Zouck was one of the incorporators
of the J. W. Gitt Company, one of the largest
dry goods concerns in this part of the State,
of which Mr. Zouck is secretary and also a
director. He is a member of the board of in-
corporators of Mt. Olivet Cemetery, and has
served as its treasurer since 1883 ; and has
been a director of the First National Bank
since January, 1888.

The First National Bank was established
Nov. 20, 1863, and chartered Jan. 5, 1864.
The original capital was $50,000, which was
increased to $100,000 Alarcli 14, 1864, and to
$200,000 April 25, 1865. Jacob Forney was
elected the first president Nov. 5, 1863. Dr. J
J. P. Smith became president in January, ■
1875 '' Henry M. Schmuck, Jan. 19, 1881 ; Vin-
cent Obold, Jan. 18, 1888, and, as above stated,
Jacob D. Zouck in January, 1899.

Air. Zouck was married in 1884 to Alinnie
F. Hauer, of Hanover, daughter of Rev. D. J.
Hauer, D. D., a prominent Lutheran minister.
Two children w^re born to Air. and Airs.
Zouck, a daughter, who died in her eig"hth
year; and a son, George Hauer, a student. A'Ir.
and Airs. Zouck are prominent members of St.
Mark's Lutheran Church, of which he is a
trustee and treasurer. Air. Zouck is also a
director of the Theological Seminary at Gettys-
burg and a member of the Home Mission
Board of the Lutheran Church of America.
Flis residence is a substantial brick structure,
with attractive surroundings, and is modern in
all its appointments.

JOHN S. KEECH, one of the oldest jus-
tices of the peace in the country,, and still ably
filling the duties of an oflice he has held for
half a century, is one of the strong" men of his
township. He was born Alarch 25, 1824, in
Lower Oxford township, Chester county. Pa.,
son of David H. and Magdalene (Patton)
Keech, the latter a daughter of James Patton,
who saw hard service in the War of the Revo-



BIOGRAPHICAL



^81



liition. David Keecli was a. son of Nathaniel,
who died in 1841, aged seventy years.

When John S. Keech was seven years old
his parents located in Lancaster county, and
there he received a common school education.
He was but nineteen when he came to York
township, York county, and he has since re-
sided there, except for the period he was
steward of the county almshouse, being ap-
pointed to that position in 1869, and remaining
there continuously until 1881, except for the
years 1874-75. That he administered the af-
fairs of that institution in a highly creditable
manner is evidenced by his long incumbency.
In 1854 he was elected county auditor, and, as
stated above, has been justice of the peace for
fifty years, his present term expiring in 1908.
He is now more than four score years of age,
but is still as active and alert as men many
years his junior. He easily reads without the
aid of glasses, and all his faculties are equally
preserved. He is a familiar figure in the
township, and his genial smile and pleasant
manners ha^'e won him warm friends among
all classes and all ages, little children in parti-
cular claiming his attention.

On April 4, 1847, ^^^- Keech was united
in marriage to Mary Ann \\' eitkamp, daughter
of Charles and Louisa ( Bierman) \\^eitkamp,
both now deceased. JMrs. Iveech died Aug.
28, 1900, and was buried in the Union ceme-
tery at Spr}'. Their children were : Charles F.,
who married Annie Immel, and lives at York ;
William H., of York, who married Emma Ah-
rens; Albert J,, who married Amanda Akins,
and is a passenger conductor on the Pennsyl-
vania railway, living in Philadelphia; John
Edward, a mechanic at York, who wedded
Clara Merkel; Jerome H., of York; James J.,
a carriage-maker of York, who married Carrie
Lesh : David Hays, a Moravian minister lo-
cated at Coopersburg, Pa., who married Lizzie
Cruickshank; and Harry E., of Elizabethtown,
Lancaster county. ]\Ir. Keech is a member of
the Moravian Church, and for some six j'cars
held the office of elder. He is well posted on
current e^•ents, and is especially interested in
public schools. In his youth he taught ten
terms in York county and one term in Lancas-
ter county.

DR. GEORGE W. [NIETZGAR, for
twenty-five years a physician in Thomas\'il]e,



l)ut n(jw a resident of Eljerton, was born in
Alanchester township, Feb. 8, 1855, son of
Solomon and Rebecca (Bower) Aletzgar.

John JNIetzgar, his paternal grandfather,
was also a native of Manchester township, was
educated there in the common schools, and
passed his life on a farm in that locality. He
is buried in the graveyard of the Ouigley
Church. His children were : Zacharias, who
died at York, and is buried at Quigley Church ;
Ella, who married John Baker, and died in
York ; ]\Iaria. who married j\Ir. Rupperd. and
li\-es in Illinois ; Solomon ; Harriet. Mrs. Shet-
tle, of York; David, who married Miss Harriet
Rufiferd, and died in Newberrytown, York
county; and John, who died in Manchester
township.

Solomon ;\Ietzgar was born in ^lanchester
township, and attended the public schools
there. He remained at home until his mar-
riage to 2vliss Rebecca Bower, daughter of
George Bower and then settled on his own
farm in the same township. He survived but
a few years longer, however, and was but
twenty-six years old when his death occurred.
He, too, was buried at Ouigley Church. In
politics he was a Republican, though not active
in party work, and religiousl)' was a member
of the Lutheran Church. His widow is still
living in ^Manchester borough. She was left
with three children, namely: John, unmarried,
and living with his mother (by trade he is a
carpenter) ; George \^^ ; and Emma, at home.

Dr. George \\\ Metzgar attended the pub-
lic schools of Manchester borough until he was
fourteen years of age, and spent the next two
years at the Millersville State Normal, and
then returned home to learn cigar making.
For nearly fi^-e }-ears he was thus employed,
while during the last year he attended night
school also, doing preliminary work for the
study of medicine, which he had determined to
pursue. For two years he studied with Dr.
John B. King-, in ^Manchester borough, and
then spent two years more in the Jeflferson
Medical College in Philadelphia, from which
he received his degree in 1876. Dr. Metzgar
prepared to establish himself in ^^'eigelstown.
but after only a month there, decided, in view
of the death of Dr, Christian Pickering, to lo-
cate at Thomasville instead. During his
quarter century in that place, he built up a
splendid practice all through Jackson township.



^82



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



In April, 1902, however, he removed to Eber-
ton, erected a beautiful home on Market and
Adams streets, and has since been practicing
there with continued success.

Dr. Metzgar was married, in 1877, to Miss
Elizabeth Metzgar, daughter of Abraham and
Yost Metzgar, of West Manchester township.
Seven children have been born to this union,
as follows : Almina K., a graduate of the Nor-
mal school at Shippensburg, who is teaching
in York; John Lee, who died at the age of
four, and is buried in Jackson township ; Sallie
Rebecca, who taught three years in York coun-
ty, and then married E. H. Musser, of Eberton ;
Elizabeth, Mrs. Mervin Bupp, of West Man-
chester township; Emma; Mary; and George,
who died at the age of seven months, and is
buried in Jackson township. Dr. Metzgar is a
Democrat in his political faith, and has served
on the school board of Jackson township, and
West York. He is a member of the Lutheran
Church of York. A skilled physician, he has,
during his long years of service, attained a
position of eminence in his profession and is
widely known.

JOSEPH STONER is a retired farmer
and tobacco dealer of Hellam township, where
he was born, and he has passed his life on the
old family estate. Details of the family his-
tory are given elsewhere.

Joseph Stoner (i), father of Joseph (2),
a son of Christian Stoner (mother's family
name, Herr), was born in the old mansion
bouse Sept. 5, 1802. His entire boyhood was
passed on the family homestead, employed in
farm work. As a young man he tried milling
for a time, but concluded in favor of farm life,
and for thirty-five years he was thus occupied.
He was a man of unusual intellect, a fine math-
ematician, and, in his younger days, was very
successful as a school teacher. After his mar-
riage he lived a short time on mill property in
Hellam township, and then for five years on a
farm near York. On the death of his father
he returned to the home farm, where he passed
the remainder of his days. He built the house
now occupied by his son, and passed many of
the later years of his life in retirement.

Joseph Stoner ( i ) married Barbara
Sprenkle, who was born in 1806, in West Man-
chester township, daughter of George and
Nancy (Sherrick) Sprenkle. Her mother's



father, a Mr. Sherrick, was proprietor of the
]\Iargaretta Furnace, and; was also a large
land-owaier in West Manchester township.
George Sprenkle died on the farm now owned
by Harvey SprenklCj a 200-acre tract contain-
ing good hickory timber and lime-stone quar-
ries. Mr. Stoner was an old-time Whig, and
later joined the Republican party. He never
cared for office, and would not allow his name
to be used as a candidate, but was once forced
to accept township office. He and his wife were
active members of the Mennonite Church. She
died in 1876, he surviving her four years.
Their children were as follows : ( i ) Christian
married Rebecca Landis, and died in Decem-
ber, 1876, in Hellam township; he established
the lime-burning and milling business, and
warehouse at Stoner Station, now carried on
by a relative, John Stoner. (2) Nancy is the
widow of Henry Houser, and lives at Stony
Brook, York county. (3) Joseph (2) is men-
tioned below. (4) Barbara married Michael
Moore, for over forty years a miller near Iron-
ville, Lancaster county, now living in Lan-
caster.

Joseph Stoner (2) was born on his father's
farm in Hellam township, and attended the
township public schools until he was twenty
3'ears old. From early boyhood he worked
on the farm, and became familiar with all the
details of agricultural work. His father was
very deaf, and from the time he was fifteen
years old Joseph: took charge of all his busi-
ness. In 1 88 1 Mr. Stoner became a dealer in
leaf tobacco, and ten years later built his pres-
ent warehouse. In 1901 he retired from ac-
tive mercantile life and now devotes his time to
the superintendence of his extensive farming
and timber interests.

On Sept. 12, 1872, in Lower Allen town-
ship. Cumberland county, Mr. Stoner married
Elizabeth C. Best, daughter of Martin and
Catherine (Eberly) Best. They have two
children: Edward B., who married Flora
Strickler, and lives in Hellam tovynship; and
Norman Joseph, unmarried. After his mar-
riage Mr. Stoner built his present home on a
portion of the mansion-house farm, which he
owns. He is a Republican in politics, and has
served several terms as township auditor, being
also a director in the First National Bank of
Wrightsville. In religious faith he adheres to
the Mennonite teachings in which he was
reared.



BIOGRAPHICAL



383



BENJAMIN F. LEBENIGHT, a promi-
nent business man of Red Lion, Windsor
townsliip, York county, and senior member of
the firm of Lebenight & Ferree, dealers in agri-
cultural implements, was born Nov. 28, 1862,
in Chanceford township, near Brogueville, son
of John and Elizabeth (Howard) Lebenight.

Samuel Lebenight, grandfather of Benja-
min F., was a farmer who died in Hellam
township. His son, John, was born in Lower
Windsor township, and after marriage re-
moved to Chanceford township. John Lebe-
night died in Windsorville, in July, 1897, aged
seventy-eig-ht years, while his wife still lives,
being now in her eighty-seventh year. John
Lebenight was a consistent member of the
United Evangelical Church, in whose faith he
died. In politics he was a Republican.

Benjamin F. Lebenight was reared in the
public schools, being taught first by Miss Big-
ler, deceased (who became the wife of Joseph
N. Reed), and at the age of sixteen years he
finished his education under Dr. Bacon. Mr.
Lebenight was reared to an agricultural life,
and this he followed until his eighteenth year,
when he learned the painter's trade, which he
pursued for eight j'cars in different parts of the
county. He was then employed by Reuben
Sprenkle of Red Lion as traveling salesman,
remaining with him for two }^ears, at the end
of which time he bought his employer's busi-
ness. He then formed a partnership with A.
W. Shenberger, and after the latter's death,
conducted the business alone for a period of
about six years. Mr. Lebenight then formed
his present connection with Mr. Ferree.

Mr. Lebenight was married in 1884, in
Chanceford township, to Miss Mary Shenber-
ger, whose father was Jacob Shenberger and
Avhose mother, before marriage, was a Miss
Smeltzer. One child, Walter A., has been
born to this union. Mr. Lebenight is a stock-
holder in the Farmers and Merchants Bank of
Red Lion. In his religious views he is con-
nected with the Reformed Church. In his pol-
itical sympathies he is a stanch Republican, and
is now serving his third term as school direc-
tor of the borough. Mr. Lebenight is con-
nected fraternally with the Knights of Pythias,
of which he is past chancellor commander.

DAVID E. WINEBRENNER. Sr. With
the cannine: industrv of Hanover the name of



Winebrenner is most intimately associated.
Thirty years ago David E. and his brother es-
tablished there a canning business, which he
has continued to the present time. It is an in-
dustry which under modern conditions has had
a wonderful growth — a growth which was
foreseen Ijy ]\Ir. Winebrenner, and which he
encouraged and stimulated by arousing an in-
terest among the farmers of the vicinity and
inducing them to raise the vegetables sufficient
to supply a large work of this nature.

The Winebrenner family has f(3r many
generations been engrafted upon the soil of
York county. Many years previous to the
Revolutionary war, the Winebrenner ancestor
of the county migrated from Germany. Peter
\Vinebrenner, the grandfather of David E.,
was an early settler of Hanover and there for a
number of years was engaged in the lumber
business. He was a member of the German
Reformed Church, and in politics was an old-
line Whig. He married a Miss Mary Bargelt,
and of their family of children, Henry, the
father of David E., was born in 1807.

Henry Winebrenner acquired the saddlery
and harness trade and later carried on an. ex-
tensive tanning business. This manufacture
he began in 1845 and continued it successfully
until within a short time of his death in 1884.
He married Sarah F. Forney, who was born in
Hanover in 1805, the daughter of Adam and
Rebecca (Shriver) Forney. To Henry and
Sarah F. Winebrenner were born six children,
namely: Peter F. ; David E. : Mary J., wife of
FI. Wirt Shriver, Union Mills, Carroll county,
Md. ; Sarah R. ; Martha C, at home; and
Henry C, of Baltimore, Maryland.

David E. W^inebrenner, the second son. was
born at Hanover in August, 1839. He re-
ceived a good common-school education in his
native town, supplemented by instruction at a
select school. His school days ended, the boy
began his business career as an assistant to his
father in the tanning business, remaining with
him until 1874, when, as stated abo\-e, he saw
in the canning industry the promise of a larger
success and, with his brother, founded the es-
tablishment, which until 1883, under the firm
name of Winebrenner Bros., remained an ac-
tive factor in the industrial life of Hanover.
In that year the business was closed out. and in
1896 the firm of D. E. A\'inebrenner Com-
pany was formed, D. E. Winebrenner. Jr., be-



584



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ing admitted to the iirm. The company put
in new stock and machinery and engaged ac-
tively in the canning of fruits and vegetables.
The old building was remodeled and new ones
added, until the establishment was recognized
as one of the best equipped in that section of
the country. By interesting the farmers to
grow and supply vegetables, th^ company is
now in the enjoyment of a large and profitable
business. During the busy season they em-
ploy a large number of hands to meet their
heavy demands. Their products have a high
standing in the trade and among the consum-
ing public, and are shipped to the various
States of the Union.

Mr. Winebrenner was married in 1864 to
Ehza B. Shriver of Carroll county, Md., the
daughter of Andrew K. and Catherine Wirt
Shriver. To David E. and Eliza B. Wine-
brenner have been born three children, viz. :
Helen S., M. Katharyn, and David E,, Jr.
Helen S. married C. J. Delone, a prominent
attorney of Hanover. M. Katharyn is the
widow of William Solliday, of Hanover, by
whom she has one son, David Shriver Sollidaj^.
David E., Jr., is a member of the firm of D.
E. Winebrenner Co. On April 14, 1898, he
married Amelia D. Wirt, daughter of R. M.
Wirt, president of the Hanover Savings Fund
Society, and to them have been born three chil-
dren: Robert E., Helen and Constance.

In politics David E. Winebrenner is a Re-
publican. In 1 89 1 he was elected chief bur-
gess of Hanover, which office he acceptably
filled for two terms. Himself and wife are
members of the Emanuel Reformed Church.
He has served the congregation as a deacon
and for a number of years he was superintend-
ent of the Sunday school. Dtn'ing the Civil
war IV^r. Winebrenner was one of the emer-
gency men of Company I, 26th P. V. I., and
he is now a meml^er of Major Jenkins Post,
No. 99, Grand Army of the Republic.

BENJAMIN KISSINGER was born Jan.
31, 1832, in Spring Garden township, son of
AVilliam Kissinger and grandson, of Conrad
Kissinger. His death, on March 8, 1902, at
his home at No. 443 East Prospect street, re-
m.oved one of the progressive and public-spir-
ited citizens of York, a man of great force of
character, and well known for his traits of
thrift, perseverance and energy.

Conrad Kissinger came from Germany and



settled in Spring Garden township, York Co.,
Pa., where he spent his life employed in a
brickyard. His son, William Kissinger, was
for many years engaged in distilling with
Jacob Brillinger. He married Rosanna
Swartz, who died at the age of fifty-nine years,
and he died in Columbia, Lancaster county,
both he and his wife being- buried in Prospect
Hill cemetery. Their children were : Jacob,
of Dayton, Ohio ; William, who died at Mount-
ville, Lancaster Co., Pa. ; Maria, who married
a Mr. Slusser and died in York; Matilda, of
Columbia, Pa. ; Elizabeth, widow of John
Snodiker, living in York; Conrad, in the
West; Benjamin; Annie, living in York; John,
of Missouri ; Rebecca, who lives in the West ;
and Philip, who married Emma Freed, and
lives in York.

Benjamin Kissinger received a common
school education, and learned the blacksmith's
trade with David Kissinger. He then en-
g"aged in the manufacture of brick, in which he
very successfully continued all his life, having
decided to retire from active business at the
time he was called awajf. He is buried in
Prospect Hill cemetery. On April 10, 1852,
Benjamin Kissinger was united in marriage
with Caroline Adams, born April 24, 1834,
daughter of Oliver and Catherine (Pierce)
\dams, the former of whom was a carpenter
by trade, which occupation he followed in
Vork and at Diehl's Mills, York county. He
died in East York at the age of forty-eight
years, his widow dying at the age of se\-enty-
four, and they are both interred in Prospect
Hill cemetery. Oliver Adams and his wife
were the parents of the following children :
William, deceased ; Catherine, deceased ; Sarah,
who married F. Idle, of the West ; Annie, wife
of Conrad Boyer, of East York; Hiram, de-
ceased; Caroline, the widow of Mr. Kissinger;
Agnes, wife of Adam Blosser, of East York;
and Amanda, the widow of Marcellus Freed,
living in East York.

To Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Kissinger the
following children ^^1ere born : Alfred, who
died at the age of three years, six months,
thirteen days ; Mary Louisa, the widow of
Frank Emig ; Sarah Bell, the' wife of George
Young, of East York ; William Benjamin, who
died when eleven months old ; Emma Jane, wife
of E. Syler, of East York ; John F. ; C. Grant,
who died at the age of one year, ten days :
Annie Kate, who died when eight months old ;




BENJAMIN KISSINGER



BIOGRAPHICAL



385



Howard Augustus and Sevilla, twins, tlie lat-
ter of whom is the wife of George Bush, of
East York ; Stewart Henry, who married Mary
Heihnan, and is employed with his brother in
the brick manufacturing business, making his
residence at East York ; Charles H., who died
when ten days old; and Caroline Estella, the
wife of Elwood M'cSherry, of York.

Benjamin Kissinger was a lifelong Repub-
lican and a stanch supporter of the principles
of that party. He was a faithful member of
Christ Lutheran Church, in which he had been
deacon for six years. Mrs. Kissinger resides
at their home in York, at No. 443 East Pros-
pect street.

N. ALLEN OVERMILLER, M D.. en-
gaged in the practice of his profession at East
Prospect, is a native of York county, liaving
been born in Loganville, Nov. 9, 1866, son of
Michael and Elizabeth (Kroh) Overmiller,
both of German lineage.

Michael Overmiller was born in Hopewell
township, York county, and was there reared
and educated. Having learned the mason's
trade in his youth he devoted his attention to
that vocation for a term of years, after which
he was a successful merchant in the town of
York for the long period of thirty years. He
is now living retired in that place, where he is
held in high esteem by all who know him. In
politics he is a Republican, and his religious
faith is that of the United Evangelical Church.
His parents were natives of Germany, whence
they emigrated to America and took up their
residence in Hopewell township, York county.
Pa., where they passed the remainder of their
lives. The mother of the Doctor was likewise
of German genealogy and was born at Glen
Rock, York county, while she died in 1885, at
Glatfelter's Station, where the family were re-
siding at that time. Of the children of Alich-
ael Overmiller and wiie Miss Amanda re-
mains with her father in York ; Charles, de-
ceased, married Amelia Herbst, of Glen Rock,
who survives him. as do their two children,
Charles and Ethel ; Mary is the wife of Albert
Glatfelter. of Hanover Junction ; N. Allen is
the East Prospect physician : Jennie is the wife
of Harry Groft, of Seven Valley, York county ;
and James, who resides in York, married Mary
Stine.

Dr. Overmiller secured his preliminary
educational discipline in the public schools of



his nati\e count}-, and depended upon his own
exertions to a large extent in securing his fur-
ther academic and professional training.
After leaving the public schools he was for one
year a student in Franklin and Marshall Col-
lege at Lancaster, and when seventeen years
of age removed to New York City, where he
completed a course in pharmacy, thereafter re-
maining in the metropolis for a period of nine
years and being employed as an assistant to
Dr. Charles Rice, then city chemist and one of



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 73 of 201)