Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 74 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 74 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the leading pharmaceutical scientists of the
United States. In 1893 Dr. Overmiller matri-
culated in the Baltimore (Md.) Medical Col-
lege, where he completed the prescribed course
and was graduated in the class of 1896, with
the degree of M. D. He then served one and '
one-half years as interne in the Long Island
City Hospital, where he gained valuable clinical
experience. At the expiration of his interne-
ship the Doctor returned to his old home in
York county and established himself in the
practice of his profession at Yoe, where he re-
mained until 1901, when he came to East Pros-
pect, where he has gained distinctive prestige
and popularity in his noble vocation, his prac-
tice being of a general order and ramifying
over a wide area of territory. He is a member
of the York County ]\Iedical Society, the Penn-
sylvania State ^Medical Society and the Amer-
ican Medical Association. Fraternally Dr.
Overmiller is affiliated with the Junior Order
of United American iMechanics, being identified
with the local organization at East Prospect;
with the lodge of the Mystic Chain at Yoe, of
which he is past commander; and with the
Knights of Malta at York. In politics he
gives an unswerving allegiance to the Repub-
lican party, and both he and his wife are de-
voted members of the United Evangelical
Church, in the various departments of whose
work they take an active interest. The Doctor
has never been ambitious for public office, but
has rendered effective service in various posi-
tions of local trust, including that of school di-
rector.

At Yoe, York county. June 19. 1897, was
solemnized the marriage of Dr. Overmiller to
Cordelia Upp, of ^^'rightsville. She was born
and reared in that county and is a daughter of
Jacob and Sarah J. (Flory) Upp. Dr. and
Mrs. Overmiller have three children, namely:
Stanley Quay, Roy A., and Ehvood S.



-,86



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



\MLLIA:\I DIETZ, Sr., was born on the
farm which he now owns, in Hellam township,
Aug. 9, 1829. As noted elsewhere, the Ameri-
can ancestor of the family was the great-
grandfather of William, George Dietz.
Through his son George, and his grandson,
also George, William Dietz traces his lineage.

George Dietz, father of William, was born
Jan. 20, 1 79 1, on the farm on which his son
now lives. He married Christina Blessing,
who was born in Hellam township, Oct. 12,
1794, daughter of Jacob Blessing, and there
died March 28, 1841. He continued to reside
on the ancestral acres all his active life, and
died at the home of his son Frederick, in Sep-
tember, 1863. His wife died March 28, 1841.
Both were members of Kreutz Creek Reform-
ed Church. Mr. Dietz was a Democrat in poli-
tics, and held several township offices. His
five children were as follows : Mary Ann, born
Dec. 19, 1816, who died young; Ehzabeth,
born March 30, 1819, who married Jacob
Strickler, and died in Hellam township ; Fred-
erick, born Oct. 26, 182 1, a farmer of Hellam
township, who married Martha Strickler (de-
ceased) ; George, born Jan. 10, 1826, who mar-
ried Catherine Bowman (deceased) and lives
in Hellam township with his son George ; and
William, born Aug. 9, 1829, who is mentioned
below. Jacob, a brother of George Dietz, was
a contractor, and built the old court house at
Y^ork, which preceded the present one.

William Dietz commenced his education in
the subscription school at Kreutz Creek
Church, and his first teacher was Jacob Landis ;
his father paid fifty cents a month toward the
support of this school. Later he attended the
free school, which is now known as Rudy's,
graduating at eighteen under Mr. Haugh. As
a boy he worked in the fields with his father,
using the cradle and scythe. When he reach-
ed the age of twenty-one his father paid him
regular wages of $10 a month. He remained
at home after his marriage, and on the death
of his father bought the farm, which now con-
tains 102 acres, a portion of the original tract
having been sold. Mr. Dietz retired from ac-
tive life in the spring of 1904, after having
been engaged in farming since 1857.

On Nov. 18, 1856, William Dietz married
Caroline Bahn, who was born Jan. 29, 1834,
on what is now the Benjamin Strickler farm in
Hellam township. She was a daughter of



David and Rachel (Whitman) Bahn. David
Bahn was a half brother of Adam, father of
Rachel Bahn, who wrote a history of the Bahn
family. Mr. and Mrs. Dietz are the parents
of the follownng six children : Emma Florence,
widow of David Stoner, who lives in Hellam;
Howard Bahn, who died on his farm in Wind-
sor township in 1902, his widow, Sarah (Mil-
ler) Dietz, living in Hellam; Mary Jane, who
is Mrs. Albert Emig, of Hellam township;
Lizzie E. and Annie C. (twins), who are at
home: and William H., who married Ella,
daughter of Alfred Bixler, and lives on the
home farm. The Dietz family are all mem-
bers of the Kreutz Creek Reformed Church, in
which Mr. Dietz has served as elder and dea-
con. He joined the church when he was seven-
teen, and his wife became a member at about
the same age. Mr. Dietz donated the land on
which the new Trinity Reformed Church is
built. He has been a Democrat all his life,
casting his first vote in 1852 for Pierce, and
has filled several minor township offices. Mr.
Dietz is a fine-looking old gentleman, with a
hea^'y head of white hair, and a clear, ruddy
complexion.

W^ M. GROVE, residing on his farm of
III acres in Chanceford township, was born
on the homestead farm in Windsor township,
May 23, 1841, son of Matthew and Mary
(Gemmell) Grove. His grandfather owned
a great deal of land in the vicinity of Conrad's
Cross Roads, and Matthew Grove, the father
of W. M., worked this land.

After his marriage Matthew Grove bought
a farm in Windsor township, where he resided
until his death in 1880, in his eighty-se\enth
year. Mr. Grove was a member of the United
Presbyterian Church, and an elder in the or-
ganization at Guinston for many years. In
his early political sympathies he was a Whig,
later becoming a Republican. His wife, who
was Mary Gemmell, was born on her father's
farm in Chanceford township, and there she
died in 1878, in her seventy-fifth year. The
children born to this good couple were : i\Iary
Jane (deceased), who was the wife of John
Grove: Jacolj H., who enlisted first for three
years, then re-enlisted, after which as a lieu-
tenant he met his death in battle in the Shenan-
doah Valley in the fall of 1864, leaving- a
widow, Hannah Smith, who also died in 1864;



BIOGRAPHICAL



387



Agnes Eliza, who married Zacharias Lesh, of
Ohio; John G., of Lower Chanceford town-
ship, who married Miss Ehzabeth Grove ; Mar-
garet Ellen, deceased wife of P. Lefevre ;
Francis M., residing on the home farm, who
married (first) Mary Jane Jacobs, and (sec-
ond) Helen Grove; W. M., whose biography
follows; Sarah Martha, who married Frederick
Smith, of Red Lion; Susan Ann, who married
John A. Moore, of Hanover ; and one that died
in infancy.

W. M. Grove attended the schools of his
township until twenty years of age, and re-
mained at home until twenty-three. In 1874
he married Miss Carrie Bigler, born in Cum-
berland county, near Shiremanstown, daughter
of David Bigler, deceased, and after marriage
Mr. Grove farmed the Bigler homestead for
two years. In 1876 Mr. Grove purchased his
present home from David Detwiler, the farm
consisting of 1 1 1 acres of land. At the time of
its purchase, the land was badly in need of at-
tention, it being so thoroughly run down that
it was next to an impossibility to raise crops
from it, but through persistent and intelligent
eiiforts, Mr. Grove has brought it to a high
state of cultivation. The house in which Mr.
Grove and his family reside was built many
years ago by a Mr. Himes, and is one of the
township's landmarks.

To Mr. and Mrs. W. M. Grove the follow-
ing children have been born : Howard, who
married Miss Clara Wambaugh, and resides
near Brogueville ; and Flora, who married Lat-
imcre Tosh, of Collinsville. Mrs. Grove is a
member of the New Harmony Presbyterian
Church of Brogueville, having united with that
relig-ious organization when a girl and been
continuously very active in church work, being
at the present time a Sunday school teacher.
Mr. Grove is a member of the United Presby-
terian Church. In politics he is a Republican.
As stated, he has been very successful in his
agricultural operations and ranks with the best
farmers in the township. Finally, he is highly
respected by his neighbors for his good citizen-
shi]), and for the efforts he has put forth in as-
sisting to develop and impro\'e the com-
munity.

JAMES H. FULTON, the prnpriet.r of
beautiful "Walnut Glen" farm, was ])orn in
Stewartstown. York Co., Pa., Dec. 20. 1847,
son of John Fulton.



David Fulton, the grandfather of James
H., was a well-known farmer and influential
citizen of his day in Hopewell township. He
purchased 500 acres of land in that section, of
which Mr. Fulton now owns the central part,
it now being divided into several farms. David
Fulton married Margaret Patterson, and both
she and her husband died at the home of their
son — the father of James H.

John Fulton was born in Hopewell town-
ship, where he passed most of his life as a
farmer, in 1881 retirmg to Shrewsbury, where
he died in 1901, aged seventy-three years. He
served as revenue assessor for many years, and
almost continuously as school director. He
married Esther Anstine, who was torn in
Stewartstown, daughter of George Anstine,
who served for several terms as a member of
the Legislature. Children as follows were
born to this union: James H. ; George, Smith
E., and Adam, all three deceased; Maggie,
Airs. Wilson, of Pocomoke City; Ida, Mrs.
Ellsworth Peterman, of Shrewsbury; and
Ruth, unmarried.

In the infancy of James H. Fulton his
father located on the farm now occupied by
him, and the boy attended the Zion (town-
ship) school until sixteen years of age, his first
teacer being Miss Myers and his last Fran-
cis Wilson. On Thanksgiving Day, 1885,
he married Miss Mary Ellen Edgar, daughter
of James and Susan (Cross) Edgar. Mrs.
Fulton died in 1901, in the faith of the Presby-
terian Church, and is buried in Stewartstown
cemetery. Mr. Fulton is a Democrat, and he
is now serving his third term as school director
in Hopewell township. He is ser\'ing his
third year as a director of the People's Na-
tional Bank of Stewartstown.

The following children were born to
Mr. and Mrs. James H. pulton : Fay Lillian,
student at the Millersville Normal School ; Es-
ther Wilson, Pearl and Amelia Jane, living at
home; Paul, deceased: and John Gro\"er, at
home.

GEORGE T. KERR, passenger and
freight agent of the Northern Central Railway
Company. Hanover, Pa., was born at Wrights-
\'ille, York county, in June, 1865, son of George
W. and Jane V. (Bahn) Kerr, both of whom
were bom and reared in Wrights\-ille. The
father in early manhocd learned and followed
the carpenter's trade, and afterward became a



;88



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



leading- contractor and builder in ^^'rightsville,
his native place. Six children were born to
George W. and Jane V. Kerr, as follows : Ida
L. ; Alice E., who married D. W. Weltzhoffer ;
Morgan B. ; George T. ; Sarah J., deceased;
and Glen AV., at home.

George T. Kerr attended the public schools
and finished his education in the select school
at Wrightsville. Lea\'ing school he was em-
ployed for a time as a clerk in a store, and later
by William McConkey, a merchant of Wrights-
ville, with whom he remained for some
time. In 1882 he entered the employ
of the Pennsylvania Railway Company,
at Wrightsville in the capacity- of clerk,
thence was transferred to the Frederick di-
vision, and for a time was stationed at York.
In 1883 he came to Hanover in the capacity of
clerk for the same road. In the spring of 1883
he was appointed agent at Taneytown, Md.,
and in 1893 was again transferred to Hanover,
this time as passenger and freight agent, a
position which he still holds. In 1889 Mr.
Kerr married Ann R. Miller, of Keysville,
Md., daughter of John and Elizabeth ( Troxell)
Miller. Three children were born to this
union: Edgar Poole; Elizabeth J.; and Anna
R. Mr. Kerr is a member of Patmos Lodge,
No. 348, A. F. & A. ^I., of which he is past
master and trustee; also a member of Gettys-
burg Chapter, No. 79, R. A. 'M., and Gettys-
burg Commandery, No. 79, K. T. He is a
member of Hanover Lodge, No. 763, B. P. O.
E., of which he is also trustee. Mr. Kerr has
also served as a member of the school board of
Hanover, representing the Second ward.

SAMUEL K. HOSHOUR, of Glen Rock,
was born Jan. 12, 1839, at Glen Rock, a mem-
ber of an old York county family, and a son of
J. V. and Magdalena ( Koller) Hoshour. The
paternal grandfather followed the tanner's bus-
iness near Spring Grove, York county. There
his life was passed, and there he reared his
family, those who survived infancy being:
S. K., who became a noted linguist and be-
longed to the faculty of an Indianapolis (Ind.)
college; David; Sally, wife of Samuel Keesey;
Lydia, wife of Charles Klinefelter ; Betsy,
who married William Sechrist; and Josiah V.

Josiah V. Hoshour was born and reared at
Spring Grove, Pa. For some years after at-
taining manhood he taught school, and then



took up surveying, a calling that was very
lucrative in those days. Subsec|uently he be-
came superintendent of construction for the
Northern Central Railroad Company from
New Freedom to Hanover Junction, and still
later he became financially interested in a
foundry and machine shop at Glen Rock.
Josiah V. Hoshour was one of the earliest cit-
izens of Glen Rock, having resided there before
the railroad construction caused the "boom"'
which developed the place. Being a man of
education, a graduate of Gettysburg College,
he was naturally prominent in all the affairs of
his section and to him Glen Rock is indebted
for its euphonious name. He testified to his
interest in educational matters by giving much
time as a member of the school board ; was, in
fact, earnest and prominent in promoting
everything that promised to be of substantial
benefit to the place. It is difficult to mention
an3-thing connected with the early de\-elopment
of Glen Rock in which he did not prominently
figure, he having done more, probably, than
any other one man to ensure the town's pros-
perity.

Mr. Hoshour \\-as a very strong Lutheran
and one of the building committee which erect-
ed the commodious Lutheran Church in 1862.
For many years he continued a member of its
ofiicial bod}^ and liberally contributed to its
support. For a long period he belonged to the
town council and, on account of his reliable
character and progressive spirit, could have
held any office in the gift of the people. He
only survived the death of his wife four years,
she passing away in 1894, aged seventy-two
years, and he, in 1898, aged eighty-two years.
Both parents of Mr. Hoshour were interred at
Glen Rock. They had these children : Sam-
uel K. ; Isabella, who died young; Maria, who
died at the age of nineteen years ; Ella, who
married N. C. Seitz, of Washington, D. C. ;
Magdalena, who married Prof. Aaron Grey;
John H., of York, and two children who died
in infancy.

Until he was twelve 3'ears of age Samuel
K. Hoshour attended school at Glen Rock,
after which, until he was twenty-three years
old, he assisted his father on the farm. Then
he embarked in the lumber business, in which
he continued alone until 1872, when he en-
tered into partnership with J. C. Failan and
Henry Gore for the operation of a general



BIOGRAPHICAL



389



lumber and planing-mill business, later car-
ried on under the style of Hoshour-Dise & Co.
In 1887 the business was reorganized and in-
corporated under the name of the Glen Manu-
facturing Company, of which Samuel K. Hos-
hour is the senior member. He started the
first kimber yard at Glen Rock and is justly
regarded as the pioneer in that line. \\'hen
Mr. Hoshour \-entured into the field, forty
3-ears ago, it was with little business expe-
rience and in a small way, but his conduct
of it has caused it to expand into one of the
largest industries of Glen Rock. He has al-
ways been the head and front of the enterprise
and has personal charge of the yard, being
considered one of the most thorough lumber
inspectors in this part of the State. His suc-
cess is distinctly traceable to perseverance and
energy, honest methods and fair business
dealing.

Although successfully managing a con-
stantly growing industry, ;\Ir. Hoshour has
never let personal matters outweigh his pub-
lic responsibility and he has efficiently served
in various offices to which his fellow-citizens
ha\e elected him. For six years he was chief
burgess of Glen Rock, for many years was a
member of the town council and for two j-ears
served as tax collector and two terms as as-
sessor.

In 1842 Air. Hoshour was married to
Rebecca Hengst, daughter of ]\Iichael Hengst.
and they ha\-e had children as follows : Rev.
Edward E., pastor of Bethany Lutheran
Church, of Philadelphia, Pa. ; Samuel R. ;
Josiah W. : Lillie : Paul ; Annie, who married
George ]\Ioreland : Milton C. ; and Eda and
Edie, both of whom died in infancy. Mr.
Hoshour belongs to the Red I\Ien and to the
Knights of Pythias, and assisted to organize
lodges in both fraternities. He is also one of
the leading members of the Lutheran Church,
in which he has served on the official board.
Since the age of sixteen years he has been a
•teacher in the Sunday-school. He is a man
who, in every relation of life, is held in high
esteem, and no history of this beautiful town,
with its many great industries, would ]x com-
plete without mention of the Hoshour family.

JOHN A. BARXETT was born in Dru-
more township, Lancaster county, near Penn
Hill, April 23, 183 1. a son of Andrew and



Eliza ( Troy) Barnett, the former of Lancas-
ter county. Pa., and the latter of Cecil count3%
]\Id., and grandson of John Troy on the ma-
ternal side. Andrew Barnett was a native of
Lancaster county, where he was a wagon-
maker and pronounced one of the finest
artisans in his line of work in that section.
He was married to Eliza Troy, daughter of
John Troy, a farmer of Cecil county, Md., and
this union was blessed with three children,
viz. : Mary Jane, wife of B. F. Cunningham
of Cecil county; John A.; and William X.,
who married Sallie Grove and died in Ohio.

Air. Barnett's education, which he com-
pleted at the age of eighteen years, was ob-
tained in the public schools of Lancaster coun-
ty. After leaving school he was a teacher for
one term, but the work being distasteful to
him he never resumed it, and instead learned
the carpenter's trade, in which he was engaged
for many years. Air. Barnett was instru-
mental in the installation of machinery at a
number of slate quarries at Delta. He was
married at the age of twenty-three to Mrs.
Katherine fAIiller) Beatty, and two children
were born to them, viz. : John Thomas, who
died at the age of two years, and Hannah
Eliza, the wife of John H. Pymer, a plasterer,
and mother of one child — John B., at school.
Airs. Barnett died in January, 1898, and was
buried at Slateville.

Air. Barnett has been a lifelong Democrat,
and has held a number of offices of honor and
trust. For a number of 3'ears he has been
burgess of Delta, being re-elected in a borough
which is overwhelmingly Republican, by the
largest vote ever cast for any candidate for
that oflice. Air. Barnett is a man of powerful
physique, and has been noted for his activity
and endurance. A personal record of the
work done by him shows that, for a period
of over eight years, he worked on an average
thirty-one and one-fourth days each month,
counting overtime.

AIAXASSES KREBS was born at Xew
Holland. York county, Dec. 23, 1832, son of
Henry Krebs. The father was born Jan. 13,
1782, in Lebanon county, and received a com-
mon-school education. He learned the car-
penter's trade, which he followed in Xew Hol-
land. Alanchester township, until his death in
1847. Henrv Krebs married Frances Aliller,



o90



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



of Lancaster county, and the children born to
them were: Susanna, born Aug. 4, 1822, died
in York county; Silas, bom Nov. 6, 1824, died
young in York county : Catherine, born June
4, 1828, died in Lebanon ; Sarah, born Nov.
30, 1830, died in York; Manasses was born
Dec. 2T,, 1832: Ephraim, born Aug. 4, 1834,
died at New Holland ; Henry was born Dec.

15. 1837-

Manasses Krebs received a common-
school education, and for twenty-six years en-
gaged in lime burning on John H. Wogan's
farm in East Manchester township. After-
ward he worked a farm on an island in the
Susciuehanna river near New Holland, con-
tinuing thus until 1902, since which year he
has lived retired in a fine farm home at New
Holland.

Mr. Krebs has been married three times
and has been the father of twenty-three chil-
dren, some of whom died in infancy. His first
marriage was to Henrietta Good, who died in
New Holland, and the children born to this
union were : Marcellus married Elizabeth
Pierce, and died in Ohio ; Henry married
Clementine Flory and resides at New Hol-
land ; William married Fanny Demmy and
lives in Kansas ; Fannie married Augustus Bil-
lett and lives in Cumberland county ; George
(deceased) married Sarah Little. Mr.
Krebs" second marriage was to Hannah Fry-
singer, a daughter of Jacob Frysinger, and
their children were : Edwin married Agnes
Blessing, and follows cigarmaking in Hellam ;
Martha married Hiram Billett and lives in
Dauphin county ; Annie married Harry King,
and resides in York; Jacob F., a graduate of
the Kingston school, taught three years in
York county, and at the present time is time-
keeper at the large quarry in East Manches-
ter township ; Samuel, a blacksmith, married
Mary Brenneman, and lives at Round Town ;
and Elmer, a baker of Wrightsville, married
Cora Abel. Mrs. Hannah Krebs died at New
Holland, where she is buried, and Mr. Krebs
married (third) Rebecca Frysinger, her sister.
The following children were by this marriage :
Elizabeth died at New Holland ; Dora mar-
ried Henry Kunkel and lives in York ; Aaron
resides at home ; Amanda and Daisy were
twins, the former dying in infancy, and the
latter lives at home ; Thomas is at home.

Mr. Krebs is a Republican, but never



sought office. He is connected with the United
Brethren Church.

WILLIAM N. McALISTER, postmaster
of Laurel, Chanceford township, was born
Oct. 3, 1843, O" his grandfather's farm in
Chanceford township, son of James and Isa-
bella C. (Neel) McAlister.

James McAlister the first, great-grand-
father of \\''illiam N., came from Scotland,
and settled in New York before the Revolu-
tionary war. Thence he traveled to Pennsyl-
vania, and settled in Hopewell township,
York county, where he took up 500 acres of
land, dying in the early part of 1800 and leav-
ing a large family. John McAlister, one of
the older children of James, married a Miss
Proudfit, and received a third of the original
tract of James McAlister's land, which had
been divided between him and his brothers,
Thomas and Andrew. He was a life-long
farmer and died in 1847, aged seventy-three
years, his wife surviving him until three years
later, when she passed away in her seventy-
fifth year. He was an elder in the Hopewell
U. P. Church, which was then known as the
Associated Reformed Church. The children
born to John McAlister and his wife were:
James, the father of William N. ; Thomas,
who married Agnes Torbet ; Mrs. Samuel
Moore, who died in Washington county, Pa. ;
Agnes, who married William Gemmill, and
died in East Hopewell township ; Eleanor,
who married Sampson Smith and died at the
cross-roads in East Hopewell township ; John
R., who graduated from the Xenia (O.)
Seminary and the Washington-Jefferson
Classical College, was a U. P. minister for
thirty years, and who married Maggie Mc-
Lean, and is now living in Pittsburg, Pa. ;
Martha Jane, who married Andrew Ander-
son, and died in Hopewell township; Eliza-
beth, who died unmarried; Euphemia C, and
Samuel A., of East Hopewell township.

James McAlister was born on the home-
stead farm in Hopewell township, Feb. 3,
1810, and acquired his education in the com-
mon schools and the academy at York. He
was reared on the farm, and for eight years
he taught school. He married Isabella C.
Neel, of Lower Chanceford township, daugh-
ter of William and Elizabedi (Marlien) Neel.



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 74 of 201)