Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 75 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 75 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


William Neel came from Scotland and settled



BlOGIiAPHICAL



391



in America ; his wife was of Irish parentage.
Mr. Neel died on his farm in 1864. Mr. and
Mrs. McAHster were members of the U. P.
Church, in which he was a ruHng elder. PoHt-
icall)' he was an old-line Whig until the Re-
publican party w^as organized, when Mr. Mc-
Alister joined the new party as one of the first
Republicans in the section. For many years
he served as school director. The children
born to Mr. and Mrs. McAlister were as fol-
lows : David P., born in Hopewell township,
attended the public school and Westminster
College, was a school teacher for five years,
enlisted in Company A, 21st Cav. (Capt. Mc-
Call, of York, commanding) and served eight-
een months, dying in a hospital at Washing-
ton, D. C, from wounds received in battle:
William N., whose sketch is found below, and
Jane ^Marj-, who died at the age of six years.
William N. McAlister w'as educated in
the common schools of York county and the
academy at Stewartstown, and after graduat-
ing from the latter taught three years in Hope-
well township. On Aug. 2"], 1864, he enlisted
at Harrisburg, in Company L, 9th Pa. Vol.
Cav., under Capt. George L. Smith, in Kil-
patrick's Western army, participating in the
raid through Georgia and the fights at
Waynesboro and Milledgeville. He was
honorably discharged from service at New-
bern, N. C, April 29, 1865, and returned
home, where until 1877 he engaged in farm-
ing. In that year Mr. McAlister founded a
mercantile business at Laurel, where he estab-
lished a postoffice (naming the town), of
wdiich he has since been the incumbent, with
the exception of four years during Cleveland's
administration. He erected the first building
(a warehouse) in the village of Laurel, where
he has been the agent for the Adams
Express Company since the year 1878
and station agent for the Peach Bottom
railroad since 1877. Mr. McAlister united
with the Hopewell U. P. Church at the age
of sixteen years, and has been prominent in its
work ever since, having been choir leader for
forty years and elder for the past five years.
From early life Re has also been actively con-
nected with Sunday-school work. Mr. Mc-
Alister has been a life-long Republican and
cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln.

On Dec. 2^, 1863, i" East Hopewell
township, Mr. McAlister married Maggie



Liggett, who was born in the township named
and died in 1864. She was the daughter of
William and Grace (Collins) Liggett, who
were of Irish descent. To Mr. McAlister and
his first wife one child was born — Maggie B.,
who became INIrs. J. Grant-Wallace, of High
Rock. ]Mr. ,;\Ic.\lister"s second marriage was
to Amanda J. A\' ilson, born in Fawn township,
daughter of David and Jane (Manifold) Wil-
son, the latter of whom is the aunt of Sheriff
Manifold of York county. To Mr. and Mrs.
McAlister the following children have been
born: Jennie W., who married William J.
Cockley, of A/[anchester township, York coun-
ty: Miss Mary: Nellie I., and Blanche N., liv-
ing at home : and Helen Proudfit.

Mr. McAlister has the standing in the
community of an honest, upright and public-
spirited citizen, as ready now to support good
government as he was to preserve it in the
dark days of the Civil war.

MORRIS MILLS HAYS, a representa-
tive of an old settled family of Pennsylvania,
was born Sept. 13, 1841. The name was orig-
inally spelled Hayes, but the American branch
of the family for several generations, ha\'e
used the present orthcgraph}-. The emigrant
ancestor of the family came from Wales, and
settled in Chester county. Pa. In 1770 Jesse
Hays moved from Chester county into York
county, and purchased land one mile north of
Yocumtown, but this tract was afterward sold
to furnish a substitute for service in the war
of the Revolution, he himself being a member
of the Society of Friends, and therefore a non-
resistant. By occupation he was a tailor. In
1780 he married ]\Iargery :Mills, daughter of
James Mills, the builder of the stone house
east of Yocumtown, later known as the Bru-
baker property. To this marriage came three
children : Susan, Hannah and Mills.

Mills Ha3-s was born in 1786. On Aug.
13, 1817, he was appointed one of the three
justices of the peace for the Third district,
composed of Newberry and Fairview town-
ships under the constitution of 1790, and he
served continuously in that position until
1839. In 185 1 he was elected associate judge
of York county, serving one full term of five
years. Judge Hays married Eve Crull, and
their children were ; John ; Sidney, who mar-
ried AMlliam Eppley : ]\Iary, who married



392



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



George W. Hall; Jesse, born Jul_v 24, 1818,
who married Mary Miller, and Jane, who mar-
ried Samuel P. Herman. Judge Mills died
in Newberrytown, in June, 1858, aged sev-
enty-two years.

John Hays was born Oct. 11, 1810, in
Newberry township, where he spent his entire
life. For many years he was a director in the
Do^•er Fire Insurance Company, and filled
many local positions of trust and responsibil-
ity. He married Jane Morris, daughter of
Charles Morris, of Warrington township, of
Scotch-Irish descent, the latter of whom was
one of a company of soldiers who marched
to the defense of Baltimore in 18 14. John
Hays died in 1885, in Newberry township,
and is buried at Paddletown church. His wife
passed away in 1901, at the age of ninety
years, and was laid to rest beside her luisband.
Their children were : Sidney, who married
David Ort; Adacinda, who married A. B.
Kurtz ; Morris Mills ; Granville, who married
Kate Reifif: Crull, a soldier in the i66th P.
V. I. and also the 9th P. V. C. during the
Civil war ; Ellen ; Lucetta : Servatus, who mar-
ried Kate Feiser, and is a merchant at New-
berrytown, and John Pierce, a graduate of the
Shippensburg State Normal School, who mar-
ried Maggie Flora, of Franklin county.

Morris Mills Flays passed his early days
on the farm, and acquired his education in the
public schools, in the Normal and Classical
school at York, and the Millersville State
Normal School. For three terms he engaged
successfidly in teaching. In November, 1882,
he was elected a member of tlie State Legis-
lature, being re-elected in 1900. In the com-
mittees on Labor and Industry, Insurance,
Military and Geological Survey, he gave ef-
ficient service. His occupation is farming, and
he is the owner of a valuable farm one mile
east of Newberrytown. He is a practical
surveyor, and has found time in the midst
of his farm labors and official duties to utilize
his talents in that direction. So capable a pub-
lic official has he proved that he has been called
upon to fill various local offices, and has al-
ways fulfilled their duties with fidehty of pur-
pose, and marked executive aljility. Fie is a
wide reader, and is the owner of an extensive
library of well selected works.

On Feb. 20. 1876, Mr. Flays was married
to Sarah M. Krone. Six children have blessed
their union, namely: Ira, at home; Kent, who



married Dora Zorger, and lives in Newberry-
town; Boyd, who married Bertha Stoner, and
lives in Newberry township, and Dale, Ruth
and Jo, all living at home. Mr. Hays is
president of the Dover Fire Insurance Com-
pany and has been upon its board of directors
since 1885 ; his father was also a director in
the same company from 1859 until his death.
In 1898 Morris M. Hays was elected justice
of the peace, but resigned to take his seat in
the Legislature, and in 1905 was again elected
to the judicial office named.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN HANTZ, in
his lifetime a well-known hardware dealer in
York, Pa., belonged to an old and honored
family that more than a century and a half
ago emigrated from Germany and settled in
Pennsylvania.

John Nicholas Hantz married Anna Bar-
bara Burghart in the Province of Starkenburg,
Sponheim, Germany. He died in the Father-
land, aged about sixty years, leaving four chil-
dren, namely : John Andrew, Maria Cather-
ine, Mary Margaretta and Catherine Elizabeth.
On June 22, 1751, the widow of John Nicholas
Hantz was married to John Peter Strayer. The
entire family set sail for x'Vmerica, locating in
Dover township, York Co., Pa. They were
among the few settlers in that part of the coun-
try in 1758, and John Peter Strayer was one
of the founders of the well-known Dover
Church, and at times, during the absence of
the minister, was empowered by the Lutheran
Synod to officiate at certain religious services.
He also taught the first parochial school in the
DoA^er Church.

John Andrew Flantz, who accompanied
the emigrant party to America in 1734, be-
came the progenitor of the Hantz family in
America. One of his sons, Andrew Hantz,
\^•as born in Dover township, York county,
married Mary Sharp, and had the following
children : John, Jacob, Philip. Daniel, Joseph,
Catherine, Susan and Mary Ann.

Jacob Hantz, the second son, was born in
1797, and for a number of years kept the
"Hantz Hotel," later known as the "Motter
House." which business he discontinued when
elected sheriff in 1842, being the first Whig
ever elected to that office in York county. He
later engaged in the hardware business, under
the firm name of Hantz. Frick & Co., at the
stand later occupied bj^ his sons, B. Franklin




BENJAMIN F. HANTZ



BIOGRAPHICAL



393



and Cliarles F. Hantz, until they died. In 1821
he niarried Magdalena Hershey, and a't his
death, in 1868, left three sons, Henry A., Ben-
jamin Franklin and Charles F. Of this family,
Henry A. married Henrietta L. Beeler. and
they iiave three daughters: Annie M., wife of
Ivan Glossbrenner ; Lucy H.. wife of Edward
Chapin: and Mary A., wife of Robert Stair.

Benjamin Franklin Hantz was sent first
to the public schools, later completing his edu-
cation in the York Academy. Upon leaving
the latter institution he engaged in the hard-
ware business, which line he followed through-
out his life, and in which he was eminently
successful. His death occurred March 10,
1886, and he was laid to rest in Prospect Hill
cemetery. A man of true worth and sterling
traits of character, Mr. Hantz was held in re-
spect by all who knew him, and his friends
were only limited by the number of his ac-
quaintances.

Benjamin Franklin Hantz was united in
marriage with Rebecca Graybill, who, with
three children, survived him. The eldest,
Charles Edward, married Miss Emma House-
holder, and now resides in York. Mary Alice,
the only daughter, married Rev. William An-
stadt, and they are located in Hollidaysburg,
Pa. Grant married Miss Irene Bender, who
occupies the homestead, where four g-enerations
have lived. Mrs. Rebecca Hantz, the widow
of B. Franklin Hantz, died after a brief ill-
ness, Dec. 20, 1905, and was laid to rest in the
family lot at Prospect Hill cemetery.

CHARLES G. HILDEBRAND, M. D..
one of the leading medical practitioners of
Springfield township, York county, has been
practicing his profession since 1889, in Lo-
g-anville. where he was born Dec. 31, 1859,
son of Dietrich Hildebrand.

Dr. Hildebrand attended school at Logan-
ville and the York County Academy, after
which he spent three years at the York Col-
legiate Institute. He then read medicine with
Dr. Yost, of Glen Rock, who was at that
time located at Loganville, and atten'ded a
medical school at Baltimore, from which he
was graduated in 1881. Dr. Hildebrand first
located at Winterstown, where he remained
eight years, in 1889 settling for practice in
his native town, where he has since remained,
in the full enjoyment of a large and lucrati\'e
patronage.



In 1880 Dr. Plildeljrand married Catherine
Feigley, daughter of ]\Iartin and Ellen
(Reikerd) Feigley, and the following chil-
dren have been born to this union : Esther M.
died in 1896, in her fifteenth year; Charles
died in infancy ; Leroy is a graduate of Pat-
rick's Business College, of York; Nora is liv-
ing at home.

In his political views Dr. Hildebrand is
a Republican, and he has served his borough
as school director and councilman. His pro-
fession connects him with the York County
Medical Society, of which he was president
in 1904, and also the State and National Medi-
cal associations.

HON. LEVI M. MYERS, of York coun-
ty, Pa., formerly an honored member of the
State Legislature, belongs to a very old Penn-
sylvania family which originated in Germany.

Frederick Myers, the great-grandfather of
Levi M., was Ix-rn in Germany, and \\as the
first of the family to leave the Fatherland and
to seek a home in America, settling in Dover
township, York Co., Pa., where he lived an
upright life, and at his death left many de-
scendants. In those early days, as in the
modern era, the transportation question was
one of great moment. ]\Ir. ]\Iyers owned a
number of strong teams, and conducted a gen-
eral hauling business, covering the distance be-
tween Pittsburg over the mountains to Balti-
more. This was a most lucrative enterprise,
and he was a very substantial man in his day,
owning farms in Dover and in IMonaghan
townships valued at something like $7,000.
But the panic of 181 8. following the war of
1812, found him with more responsibilities
than he could meet and before he could settle
his affairs he had practically lost everything._
This is not an uncommon misfortune, but it
is not always met with the honesty and reso-
luteness which characterized this upright old
German. Retaining nothing from his cred-
itors, he passed his last years with his sons and
was an honored and respected man to the last.
His children were : Jacob, John, AVilliam and
Catherine, and three other daughters whose
married names were Bentzel. Gross an'd
Gro\-e.

Jacob ISIvers. grandfather of Levi ]\I.. was
born in 1798, in Dover township, York coun-
t}-, and obtained his education in the German
schools, being twenty years of age before he



394



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



learned to speak in the English language.
Later he became one of the influential men
of his section of York county. He purchased
the propejty now owned by his son, Peter A.
Myers, and on it his life was spent, and there
he died in 1876, preceded by his wife in 1862,
at the age of sixty years. They had these
children: Jacob and John (twins), Elizabeth,
Susan, Henry, Mary, Frederick, Samuel,
George, Martha, Peter, Catherine and William.
Jacob Myers was a stanch Democrat all his life.

William A. Myers was educated in the
common schools of Monaghan township and
performed the usual duties on the home farm
until the age of twenty years, when he went to
Lycoming county and worked at the lumber-
ing business for a short time. After his re-
turn to York county he taught school for a
season, teaching during the winters and farm-
ing during the summers, also taking a great
deal of interest in horticulture. In 1877 he
bought a small property of twenty acres, which
is now owned by his son. Harry C. Myers.
In 1884 he purchased a farm of eighty-four
acres which he continued to cultivate until his
retirement in 1902, the tract now being owned
by Hon. Levi M. Myers. William Myers now
lives in a comfortable residence which he
erected at Mt. Pleasant, where he is a highly
respected resident. Mr. Myers was united in
marriage, Oct. 11, 1870, to Mary Hamacher,
born in Cumberland county, daughter of
Daniel Hamacher. They had these children:
Amos L., deceased; Levi' M. ; Elizabeth I., de-
ceased : and Harry C. The family belongs to
the Church of God, and Mr. Myers has been
an elder of that sect at Mt. Pleasant, for eleven
years. Politically he is a strong Democrat and
has served for the past decade as a justice of
the peace.

Levi M. Myers is one of the leading citi-
zens who is well known in the agricultural, so-
cial and political circles of Monaghan town-
ship. He was born Jan. 22, 1873, son of Will-
iam A. and Mary (Hamacher) Myers, and a
grandson of Jacob and Mary (Getz) Myers.
He was educated in the common schools of his
native township and at the State Normal school
at Millersville. After completing his education
he taught school for twelve consecutive ses-
sions (eleven terms in Monaghan township),
and became well and favorably known through-
out that section as a successful educator. Pos-



sessing unusual musical talent he decided to
adopt music as a profession and with this end
in view, placed himself under excellent in-
structors, one of his preceptors being the dis-
tinguished Prof. Knoche, of Leipsic, Germany,
who is now holding a high musical position at
Buffalo, N. Y. Mr. Myers entered upon the
teaching of music, but after completing one
term concluded to return to his native place,
where he became interested in agricultural pur-
suits and particularly in the growing of fine
apples and peaches. His fine farm of 350 acres
is all under cultivation, and he has been most
successful in this venture. In politics Mr.
Myers is a stanch Democrat. In the fall of
1902 he was his party's choice for the State
Legislature and was elected to that body in
November of that year. He served two years
during which period he made himself felt in
committee work, having been assigned to
Counties and Townships and Banking. Mr.
Myers worked hard in the interests of his con-
stituents, and his record at Harrisburg is one
which is eminently satisfactory.

The marriage of Levi M. Myers took place
Feb. 22, 1894, to May Moore, daughter of
Jacob A. Moore, a native of York county. She
comes of a distinguished family, her grand-
father being the well known Judge Moore of
York county. The only child of this union,
Helen, is now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. INIyers
are consistent members of the Church of God,
commonly denominated Bethel Church.

Mr. Myers' upright character and unim-
peachable honesty have, upon many occasions,
stood in the way of his political advancement,
but his friends and associates know that
through all the stress and turmoil of campaign
work, he has always stood firm on the founda-
tion stones of principle. His convictions of
right have been more to him than the highest
political honors in the land, and the high es-
teem in which his fellow citizens regard him,
,is sufficient testimonial to his sterling char-
acter.

HARRY F. BOWMAN, a business man
of Hanover, was born in Heidelberg township.
Jan. 16. 1 87 1, son of Harry W. and Hilary
(Bollinger) Bowman. The father was born
on the old Bowman homestead in the town-
ship named, Oct. 16, 1840, and was one of
the prosperous farmers of that locality. He



BIOGRAPHICAL



395



was a prominent Democrat and an inflnential
party worker, also serving York connty in the
capacity of registrar of wills for a term of
three years. He died in November, 1904, but
his wife still resides in Hanover. The chil-
dren born to Harry W. and Mary (Bollinger)
Bowman were : Virginia, who married Dr. L.
H. Stoner, of Porter's Sideling; Harry F., of
this sketch ; Ida, who married C. S. Shirk, a
hardware merchant of Hanover ; Mary, who
resides with her mother, and Annie B., who
married T. J. Major, a candy manufacturer of
Hagerstown, Md. Harry W. Bowman was a
great friend of education, and devoted much of
his time in elevating- its standard, serving many
years as a school director both in his native
township and in Hanover. He was the son
of Henr\r K. and Katharyn (Snyder) Bow-
man, and the land which for generations was
tilled by the Bowmans was originally pur-
chased by the ancestors from William Penn.

Harry F. Bowman was reared a farmer's
boy and received his primary education in the
district school, completing his mental training
as a student of York County Academy. Pos-
sessing an aptitude for commercial life, he be-
gan life for himself as a clerk in a hotel, and
continued thus for twelve years. In 1899 he
was nomonated on the Democratic ticket as
candidate for recorder and was elected by a
good majority. He assumed the duties of his
office for a term of three years and fulfilled
them to the credit of himself and to the satis-
faction of his constituents. At the expiration
of his term of oflice he returned to Hanover,
where he began to trade in horses and mules,
a business in which he has since engaged ex-
tensively and successfully, buying Western
horses and Kentucky mules very largely. Be-
sides owning valuable city property Mr. Bow-
man is the possessor of two good farms, one of
which is located in Washington township,
York county, and the other in close proximity
in Adams county. He is an enterprising and
sagacious business man, and his keen judgment
gives him an honorable place among the prom-
inent citizens of this thriving city.

In 1895 Mr. Bowman married Leona
Grenewald, daughter of Leonard H. and Anna
(Hall) Grenewald, of Hanover; they have one
child, Leona Frances. Mrs. Bowman's father
is a prominent politician, and a former sheriff
of York county. Mr. Bownnan is a prominent



member of Hanover Lodge, I. O. O. F., hav-
ing passed all the chairs; is also a member of
the Elks, and of the Mystic Chain.

HEXRY FLINCHBAUGH, a retired
farmer of Springfield township, York county,
was born in Spring Garden township, Aug. 10,
1835, son of John and Dolly (Smith) Flinch-
baugh, the former of whom, a laborer, died
when Henry was two years old, while the lat-
ter died at Blimyer Church, York township,
when he was also very young. His brother
and sisters were: John, Eleanor, Matilda and
Dolly.

Henry Flinchbaugh was raised with John
Godfrey, until he was eighteen years old, -work-
ing eight months of the year for $25, continu-
uing this arrangement for three years. He
then purchased the old Keeney farm, upon
^\•hich he li\-ed and farmed for twenty-nine
years. He also owned a property of 210 acres,
known as the Feigley farm, which he later
sold, and he now resides on a small place of
one and one-half acres, near Loganville, which
he purchased in 1901. He was first married
to ]\Iary J. Kenney, wdio died at the age of
fifty-se\-en years, and, he was united (second)
to Sarah Brillhart Greiman, daughter of Jacob
and Sarah ( Myer) Brillhart, and the widow of
Jacob Greiman. who died April 10, 1892. j\Irs.
Greiman's children were: Charles S.. a grad-
uate of Patrick's Business School at York;
Amanda, who joined the Dunkard Church in
1902, and resides at home, and Jacob H., who
is also at home.

Mr. Flinchbaugh at one time possessed con-
siderable property in Springfield township, but
sold most of it, being now the owner of a three-
acre tract of land along the Baltimore Pike.
In political principle he is a Democrat. He
joined the Dunkard Church at the age of
thirty-five years, and is very prominent in all
its affairs. He and his wife are people of
sterling character and enjoy the esteem of all
who know them.

ALEXAXDER D. SMYSER, of INIan-

chester township, York county, who is actively
engaged in the stone and lime business near
Emigsville. was born in 1848, in Jackson town-
ship, son of Daniel and Catherine (Wiest)
Smvser, and a grandson of ^lathias Smyser.
Daniel Smvser was born ]\Iarch 20. 1807, in



396



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



West IManchester township and followed farm-
ing, first in the place of his birth, later remov-
ing to Jackson township and finally to York
city, where he lived in well earned retirement,
for a number of years prior to his death, which
occurred in 1S62. Both he and his wife are
buried at the Prospect Hill cemetery. To
Daniel and Catherine Smyser the following
children were born : John married Caroline
Bott, and is living retired in York; Mary, de-
ceased, married Andrew J. Myers, who is also
deceased, and they were both buried at the
Prospect Hill cemetery ; Michael married Lena
Menges and is living retired in Spring Grove ;
Alexander D. ; and Louisa married J. M.
Gross; M. D., of Dover.

Alexander Smyser received his education
in the public schools of West Manchester town-
ship and remained with his father until his mar-
riage, working upon the home farm. In 1869
he married Louisa Jane Yost, daughter of
Peter Yost; she died in 1880 at the age of
twenty-eight years leaving one child, Clayton
A., who married Georgie Kissinger, and is a
clerk for Lippincott & Co. of Columbia, Pa.
In 188 1 Mr. Smyser married Amanda Metzler,
daughter of George Metzler, of Dover town-
ship, and they have had three -children : Harry
E., who died at the age of seventeen years, and
is buried at the Prospect Hill cemetery; and
Bertha and Alexander, who both reside at
home.

After his first marriage Mr. Smyser located
in Jackson township, but about eleven years la-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 75 of 201)