Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 76 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 76 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ter, after his wife's death, he removed to York,
where he now resides, his home being located
at No. 703 West Market street. .His business
interests are large and he is at present very ex-
tensively engaged in the stone and lime busi-
ness, to the successful conduct of which his
time and ability are fully devoted. He em-
ploys about fifteen hands, and finds ready sale
for his finished products in York county. Mr.
Smvser is up-to-date in every respect and has
all the latest improvements in machinery.
. In politics he is a Republican, and in religion
is a valued member of the Lutheran Church.
He is a man of high standing in his locality,
both personally and financially.

THO:\IAS J. O'NEILL, secretary and
treasurer of the Hanover Silk Company and
general manager of the large mill of tliat com-



pany at Hanover, York Co., Pa., is not
only well known in that connection but as
an all-around business man. In fact, he is a
typical business man, seeing advantages for
his own particular interests in the progress of
other concerns, which, whenever possible, he
encourages and supports with his means and
influence. He has been identified with the silk
manufacturing industry since 1882, and has
held responsible positions with several import-
ant companies.

Mr. O'Neill is a native of England, born
June 24, 1863, and was brought to America
in 1868 by his parents, who settled in Allen-
town, Lehigh Co., Pa. There he was reared,
receiving his education in the common schools
of the county and in youth learning telegraphy.
After devoting the required time to gaining a
knowledge of this business he obtained em-
ployment with the Western Union Telegraph
Company, and later with the Lehigh Valley
Railroad Company, with which he remained
until 1882. In that year he took a position
with the Phoenix Silk Manufacturing Com-
pany, of Allentown, as foreman of the soft silk
department, having charge of 180 hands. This
was at the time the mills were started, and he
remained there five years, working in all of
the departments and accjuiring a thorough
knowleclge of the details of manufacture in
the mammoth establishment. The position
was one of the most responsible in the mill, re-
cpiiring experience and familiarity with the
workings of every department. His success
there gained him the offer of the position of
superintendent of the Bethlehem Silk mills,
which he accepted, as it gave him the opportun-
ity to add to his knowledge of business. Later
he was with the Theodore Teitz Silk Com-
pany, near Hartford, Conn., and then became
secretary and general manager of the Hanover
Silk Company.

Mr. O'Neill is particularly well known to
the trade as a man of energy and progressive
ideas. His good judgment and executive abil-
ity would insure success to any entefprise, and
the Hanover Silk Company owes much of its
financial stability to his talent for effective
management. But more than that, he possesses
originality and inventive genius, and he is not
only awake to the progress of the day but able
to meet the latest demands in his line, so that
his patrons are never disappointed either \\-hen



BIOGRAPHICAL



397



looking fort attracti\-e novelties or when call-
ing for st^lnclard goods of known reliabilit)^
He believes in using all modem facilities for
the dispatch of the work, and in employing
them to the utmost. Indeed, it is largely ow-
ing to his influence that the Hanover Silk mills
are so thoroughly equipped, for he realizes that
there is no economy in working with anything
but the best. Successful competition would he
next to impossible without it. Mr. O'Neill's
reputation among business men is of the best,
and he has used his best endeavors to have his
company rank with the foremost in the United
States. Its location in Hanover has not only
been a happy one for the concern, but has aided
the town and paved the way for the founding
of other successful enterprises there.

Though his principal efforts are devoted to
the Hanover Silk Company, Mr. O'Neill has
been connected with numerous other important
undertakings since his removal to Hanover.
In 1893 '^^ organized the Hanover Telephone
Company; in 1901 he was actively engaged in
organizing the United Telephone Company,
and still later the Cumberland Valley Tele-
phone Company of Pennsylvania, operating in
Lancaster, Dauphin, Cumberland, Adams and
York counties, and assisted in organizing the
Cumberland Valley Telephone Company of
Baltimore, which operates in nearly every
count}' in Maryland, and which is now leased
and operated by the United Telephone Com-
pany. He is a director of the Cumberland Val-
ley Telephone Company of Pennsylvania, and
the Cumberland Valley Telephone Compan)' of
Baltimore ; secretar}' and director of the Win-
chester Telephone Company of Winchester,
Va. : director of the Hanover and McSherrys-
town Electric Railroad Companj', and of the
Hanover Heat, Light and Power Company,
and president of the Hanover Market and
Town Hall Company, as well as director of the
• Hanover Agricultural Society. He is also the
proprietor of the Littlestown electric light and
power plant.

As ma)' be judged from this brief resume
of his various interests, Mr. O'Neill is a leader
in local movements for the betterment of the
community, for its steady advancement, and for
tbe comfort and well-being of his fellow citi-
zens generally. He is no less active socially,
being president of the Hanover Outing Club,
whose location is a beautiful spot on the banks
of the Conewago, known as Waldheim



(Forest Home); he is also a member of the
Arcadian Club of Hanover, and a charter mem-
ber of Hanover Lodge No. 763, B. P. O. E.,
of which he was the second exalted ruler.
Politically Mr. O'Neill is a stanch Democrat
and zealous in the interest of his partv, but
he has no aspirations for official position.

Mr. O'Neill was married Jan. 2S, 1S89, to
Annie A., daughter of the late Josiah \Y. Gitt,
an honorable business man of Hanover, and a
sister of G. D. and H. N. Gitt, both prominent
business men of that place. Four children
have blessed this union : Reginald, T. New-
man, Geraldine M. and Helen.

The Hanover Silk Company is a source
of pride to the town whose name it bears, for
more reasons than one. It has marked the be-
ginning of an era of progress and prosperity,
and has not only been of material benefit to
Hanover directly, but has also been the means
of drawing to that place many other desirable
enterprises.

The company was organized April 4, 1892,
and Oct. ist of the same year the machinery
was started in the large mill. The enterprise
was novel, in that nothing of the same nature
had ever before been attempted in that sec-
tion, and the outcome was therefore a matter
of some doubt. The continued success and
steady growth of the concern have demon-
strated beyond question that the region affords
every facility for the prosecution of the indus-
try of silk manufacturing, and demonstrated
it to such purpose that allied industries,
hitherto chary about venturing into untried
fields, have been attracted to the locality, with
results which are mutually beneficial.

The three-story brick factory, 50x126 feet
in dimensions, with a boiler and engine house
30x30 feet, is equipped with every appliance
known to the up-to-date silk manufacturer for
the prompt and efficient production of silk rib-
bons in every \'ariety and style, and the product
is rapidly taking rank among the best turned
out in the country. No pains or expense are
spared to obtain the most exquisite harmonies
in colors, tints and combinations, and the
product is unexcelled for quality and beauti-
ful finish. The highest art in silk manufacture
is displayed in the output of this concern, and
the fact is recognized by the patronage of some
of the largest silk purchasing houses in the
Lhiited States.

While the company have been prompt to



398



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



use all the latest appliances in the way of en-
gines, looms, warpers, winders, doublers, etc.,
they have also been considerate of the welfare,
comfort and safety of their many employees.
Fire extinguishing apparatus is liberally pro-
vided on each floor, the danger of destruction
from this source being reduced to the minimum.
A thorough system of electric lights was in-
stalled when the factory opened, and every- ■
thing useful in the electrical line is found in
the building — powerful dynamos and burners,
call bells throughout the mill, telephone connec-
tions from floor to floor, all of the best make
known to the trade. The salesrooms for dis-
tribution, in the care of H. L. Meyers & Wel-
Avood, experienced silk men, are located at Nos.
477-481 Broome street, in New York City;
-they have every facility for the storage and dis-
tribution of an immense stock.

The Hanover Silk Company employs much
skilled labor, has proved a reliable and paying
investment for a large amount of capital, and
requires in its management the exercise of the
highest order of executive ability. The pres-
ent officers of the concern are G. D. Gitt, presi-
dent; C. J. Delone, vice-president; Thomas J.
O'Neill, secretary and treasurer; H. N. Gitt,
John Krug, directors. The goods of the com-
pany find a market in all the large centers of
trade, and they compete successfully with the
leading concerns — the management originat-
ing, devising and introducing new designs,
bringing out many novelties of their own, and
encouraging home talent in the production of
their goods as much as possible. They are not
afraid to branch out in new lines and make ex-
periments, and their goods have a distinction
which reflects the independence and originality
•of the heads of the enterprise.

DAVID J. MARKEY is a representative
of the fourth generation of his family in York
county, and has never deserted his native coun-
ty, being located on his finely improved farm
in York township. He was born on the old
homestead farm, in that township, Jan. 24,
1844, son of Daniel Markey, who likewise was
born and reared in York county, the year of
his nativity being recorded as 1804.

The original American ancestor was Jacob
Markey, great-grandfather of David J. This
worthy pioneer emigrated from Switzerland to
America early in the eighteenth century, and
settled in Berks county. Pa., whence later he



removed to York county and located in Spring-
field township, where he passed the remainder
of his life. It is not known what his vocation
was prior to coining to America, but he became
identified with farming in the early years of
his residence here. Of his children Jacob was
the grandfather of our subject.

Jacob Markey becamie a prosperous and
honored farmer of Springfield township, and
died at the age of sixty years, his remains being
interred in York township, as are also those
of his wife, whose maiden name was Magda-
lena Stump. Of their children, Caspar died in
Washington township at the age of seventy-
five years, eight months and twenty-nine days,
having been a successful farmer of York town-
ship ; Jacob, who likewise was a representative
farmer of York township, died at the age of
seventy-six years, five months and two days;
Michael, also a farmer of York township, died
at the age of seventy-three years and nine days ;
John, who died in Paradise township, was like-
wise a farmer by vocation; Daniel was the
father of David J. Markey ; Elizabeth died in
Washington township, at the age of seventy-
four years and eleven months, and Sarah Fahs
died in Paradise township, aged fifty-seven
years, three months and' twenty days.

Daniel Markey received a common-school
education and in his youth learned the hatter's
trade, at York. He engaged in that vocation
until 1850, having passed much of the inter-
vening time in Reading, Pa., and in Virginia.
He purchased a fine farm in York township,
and there followed his trade in connection with
the operation of his farm. Few men were bet-
ter known or held in higher esteem in the coun-
ty than he, and his name merits a place of
honor upon the list of the representative citi-
zens of this section of the Keystone State.
He died in 1877, at the age of seventy-three
years and eight days. In 1848 Daniel Markey
was united in marriage to Sarah King, who
was born in York county, in 181 5, being a
daughter of Peter and Susan (Miller) King,
and her death occurred in 1891. Both she
and her husband were laid to rest in the
Stumps cemetery, York township. Daniel
Markey was known tliroughout the State by
reason of the superior quality of hats whith
he manufactured, and he was not able to meet
the demands placed upon him in supplying his
trade, so extensive did it become. Of the chil-
dren of Daniel and Sarah Markey the follow-



BIOGRAPHICAL



399



ing brief record is given : David J. is our imme-
diate subject; Mary, who was born Sept. 19,
1859, is not married and resides in tlie home
of David J. ; Louisa is the wife of Edwin
Dietz, and they reside at Brillhart Station,
York township ; Susan, who is unmarried, is
likewise making her home with Mr. Markey.
David J. Markey secured his early educa-
tional training in the school at Spry, York
county, and thereafter continued to assist his
father in the work and management of the
home farm until his honored sire was sum-
moned from the scenes of earthly endeavor,
and since that time he has carried forward the
work of the family homestead, which he now
owns. It is eligibly located on the Chanceford
pike road, in York township, and is one of
the model farms of that section of the county.
In 1902 Mr. Markey erected his present fine
residence, which is of modern design and con-
veniences, and there he and his two maiden sis-
ters reside, being the only representatives of
the family name in the county, as he himself
is a bachelor. They have a host of friends in
the community and the home is a center of
cordial hospitality and cheer. In politics Mr.
Marke}' is a stalwart Democrat, and has served
two terms as auditor of York township. His
parents were members of the German Baptist
Church, and his sisters are active members of
the Zion Reformed Church, of the city of York.
Mr. Markey has in his possession an interest-
ing and valuable heirloom — a Bible published
in 1763, one of the first ever issued in German-
town, Pa. It is in an excellent state of
preservation and of great historic value.

JACOB N. SLAGLE (deceased), for
many years treasurer of the Hano\-er Savings
Fund Society, was born in Heidelberg (now
Penn) township, York county, Oct. 20, 1843,
son of Adam and Elizabeth (Felty) Slagle,
and grandson of William and ]Mary (Eyster)
Slagle. William Slagle was born in Adams
county, near Oxford, about the year 1799. He
acquired the trade of carpenter, which he fol-
lowed for a number of years. Later he devoted
his attention to farming and in 1852 purchased
a farm in Heidelberg township, which he con-
tinued to operate in connection with his trade
until his death, in 1873. His wife, Elizabeth
Felty, was born in Penn township, York coun-
ty, in 1809, daughter of Henry and Mary



(Xeiman) Felty, settlers of York countv.
Elizabeth (Felty) Slagle died in 184S.

Jacob N. Slagle in his youth attended dis-
trict school in Penn township, acquiring a good
knowledge of the common branches. Later
he was a student at a private school. His edu-
cation ended, however, in his fifteenth year,
and for several years thereafter he was various-
ly employed, in 1866 becoming a clerk in the
Hanover Savings Fund Society. In 1879 he
was made treasurer of the society, which posi-
tion he filled until June, 1901. This banking
institution is one of the oldest in York county,
having been organized in 1835, and it is one
of the substantial banking houses in that part
of the State. It has the heaviest deposits in
Hanover, and perhaps in York county. Mr.
Slagle was one of the stockholders of the
bank, and also the owner of valuable city prop-
erty.

Mr. Slagle was married, in 1878, to Miss
Alice O. Bair, of Hanover, daughter of Ed-
win and Delilah (Gitt) Bair. To Mr. and
Mrs. Slagle anp son was born, Jacob, who
is a manufacturer of confectionery. Mr. Slagle
was a member of Patmos Lodge, No. 348, A.

F. & A. M., and of Major Jenkins Post, Xo. 99,

G. A. R. He was a member of Emanuel Re-
formed Church, to which Mrs. Slagle also be-
longs. Mr. Slagle passed away in July, 1906.

MICHAEL GROSS, who lived retired in
the borough of Manchester for over thirty
years prior to his recent decease, was the oldest
citizen of that place, and held a high position
in the aft'ectionate regard of its residents gen-
erally. He led a life of practical usefulness,
ha\-ing been interested, as a worker in the va-
rious activities of the community from the time
he took up his residence there.

The Gross family has been established in
the neighborhood of Manchester for several
generations, Samuel Gross, the grandfather of
Michael, having emigrated thither in 1777.
He was a native of Germany, and on coming
to York county first located in Manchester
township on the farm where Jacob Free re-
sides near Emigsville. After a short residence
there he bought the farm afterward owned and
occupied by his grandson. Benjamin Gross,
about one mile from the village of Manchester,
the date of the purchase being Feb. 8, 1777;
Frederick Zorger, of Newberry township, was



400



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



the former ONvner. There Samuel Gross en-
gaged in farming and distilhng to the end of
his days, and there he died; he is buried in
:\Ianchester township. His family consisted of
seven children: George, Samuel, John, Daniel
(who married Elizabeth Myers), Eve (wife of
Michael Beltzhover, of Cumberland county),
one daughter who became the wife of Rev. Mr.
Schmucker, of York, and Mrs. John Strayer,
of Dover township.

John Gross, father of Michael, was born
in Manchester township, and there passed his
entire life. Like his father he devoted himself
to farming and distilling, and made quite a suc-
cess of both industries, becoming a large land-
owner. He was a man of fine character, and
died much respected at the age of sixty-six
years. He is buried at Manchester borough.
John Gross married Barbara Melhorn, daugh-
ter of Michael A-Ielhorn, and she, too, lived to
be sixty-six years of age, and is buried at Man-
chester. They were the parents of six chil-
dren, namely: (i) Catherine died unmarried,
and is buried at Manchester. (2) Samuel,
born May 25, 1812, in Manchester township,
first married Susan Wolf, by whom he had gix
children, Mary, Amanda, John, George, Emma
and Susan (deceased). His second wife was
Lena Gotwalt, daughter of John and Catherine
(Wilt) Gotwalt, of Dover township, and they
had one child, Alice S. Mr. Gross died at Man-
chester and is buried there. (3) Michael is
mentioned below. (4) Eliza married Peter
Diehl, and after his death became the wife
of P. A. Spahr. She died at Mt. Wolf, and is
buried at Manchester. (5) George was born
Feb. 16, 181 7, followed farming all his life,
and died at Manchester, where he is buried. He
married Eliza Rutter, and they had fourteen
children — Ellen, Albert, Emma, George, An-
drew, Adam (all deceased), Zacharia, William,
Sarah, Kate, Edward, Charles, Eliza and Jen-
nie. (6) Sarah, who became the wife of
• Charles Diehl, died at Mt. Wolf and is buried
at ^Manchester.

Michael Gross was born Jan. 15, 1814, in
Manchester township, and received his early
instruction- in the township school. Later he
attended the York County Academy. Fie was
reared on the farm, and when he commenced
agricultural pursuits on his own account lo-
cated on a tract which his father bought for
him, near Manchester, being engaged in gen-



eral farming there for thirty years. He re-
mained there, in fact, until his retirement in
1874, after which he lived in the borough of
Manchester, where he purchased a fine resi-
dence. Mr. Gross continued to own a greater
part of the farm, which comprised 180 acres, in
1903 the York Traction Company buying
thirty acres of the tract for a park. The place
is known as Cold Springs Park because of the
fine springs which are numerous on the land,
and it is one of the finest spots in that section
of the country.

Mr. Gross was content to exert his influ-
ence in a quiet way and was never a seeker
after ofiice, though he served efficiently as
school director. He was a prominent member
of the Lutheran Church, in which he held all
the offices, and was one of its best workers for
many years. He afifiliated with the Republi-
can party.

Mr. Gross was married to Leah Hake,
daughter of Jacob and Lydia Ann (Miller)
Hake, of Conewago township, York Co., Pa.,
and she passed away at the age of sixty-one
years. She is buried at Manchester. Chil-
dren as follows blessed this union : Eliza mar-
ried Jacob King, and is living at Star View,
in Manchester township; John W. married
Annie Sprenkle, and died at the age of forty-
five years, his widow now living in Manchester
township (he is buried at Manchester) ; Eli
first married Clara Bear, and later Elmira
Bush, and they are living in the borough of
Manchester, where he is engaged in the livery
business; Miss Sarah A. is living at home;
Lydia is the wife of Harry Wilt, of Steelton,
Pa., where he is engaged in the undertaking
and fumiture business; Lewis, of Goldsboro,
York county, married Elmira Reeser, and after
her death married Dora Spangler (he is en-
gaged in the furniture and undertaking busi-
ness) ; Leah married Peter Friser, and is living
in York.

BARTHOLOMEW HACKENYOS (de-
ceased) was a native of Germany, his birth oc-
curring in Baden, that country. May 31, 1833.
He was a son of John Hackenyos, a shoemaker
who followed his trade in Baden, where he
died.

Bartholomew Hackenyos learned the shoe-
maker's trade with his father, and left his na-
tive countrv at the age of nineteen years to





^^



BIOGRAPHICAL



401



come to America, where he first settled in Xew
York City. There he remained three months,
at the end of which time he removed to \\'ash-
ington, D. C, and after a number of years
came to York, Pa. Here he engaged in shoe-
making, and later in merchandising, also own-
ing and operating a farm in connection with
his mercantile business, and he was very suc-
cessful. Mr. Hackenyos died in July, 1901.
He was married (first) to Mary Byerly, who
died July 10, 1881, and (second) to Wilhel-
mina Kindsvogel, daughter of John and Mar-
garet (Getz) Kindsvogel, the former a con-
tractor in Germany. Both the parents of Mrs.
Hackenyos died at an early age, and she came
to America at the age of nineteen years. Four
children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hack-
enyos, namely: John B., a safemaker by trade;
Harry ; Frederick ; and Gustie Elizabeth, who
died when three years old. Mrs. Hackenyos
resides at her home. No. 122 North Pine street,
York. Since her husband's death she has made
one visit to her native land.

JOSEPH M. PROWELL, of Conewago
township, York county, who is living retired in
Strinestown, is a survivor of the Civil war,
and for many years was a farmer of Newberry
township. Mr. Prowell is a son of James N.
Prowell, and was born July 2, 1839, in New-
berr\- township.

James N. Prowell was born in 18 16, in
Fairview township, and received a common-
school education. After his marriage he lo-
cated in Newberry township, where he re-
mained four years, and then removed to Fair-
view township, and later bought a farm at
Smoketown, remaining at the latter place seven
years. He next removed to Fishing Creek
Valley, Fairview township, where he stayed
four years before removing to Yocumtown, his
home for eleven years. He finally located in
Harrisburg, where occurred the death of his
wife, Hannah Miller, born Aug. 20, 1820,
daughter of Peter Miller. Mr. Prowell mar-
ried (second) a ]\Irs. Neater, and she also died
in Harrisburg, and after her death ]Mr. Prowell
went to live with his children. He died in 1902,
and is buried at Salem Church in Fairview
township. His children were as follows : Jo-
seph M.; Elizabeth, born in 1840, died at the
age of sixty years; Peter N., born in 1842,
married (first) a Miss Prowell and (second)
Miss Annie Good, and resides at Yocumtown;



David, born in 1844, died in 1877, ^"^1 was
buried at Salem Church; Nancy, born in 1847.
died young; Jeremiah, born in 1849, married
Amanda Hartman, and lives at Steelton,
Dauphin county; Mary A., born in 1850, mar-
ried George W. Parks and lives in Steelton;



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 76 of 201)