Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 78 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 78 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


is a Lutheran, belonging to St. John's Lutheran
Church, in which he was a deacon at one time,
and he helped to organize its English Sunday
school in 1903. Mr. Smith is a Democrat, but
takes no active part in politics, having declined
several nominations that were offered to him.
His business receives his personal attention, and
a visit to his salesroom, first door east of the Se-
curity building, on East Market street, bears
abundant evidence that Mr. Smith not only ad-
heres closely to business, but that he thoroughly
understands it.

JAMES W. GROVE is a member'of one of
the substantial and long established families of
York county, \\-hich has been the home of many
valuable citizens belonging to this family. He
was born Nov. 19, 1846, on the homestead farm
in Chanceford township, son of William and
Jane (Cross) Grove, grandson of Thomas
Grove and great-grandson of Jacob Grove.

Jacob Grove was born in York county, Pa.,
whither his father and a brother had emigrated
in young manhood from Germany. He mar-
ried a lady of English descent, and took up 300
acres of land, and built a log house. He was a
devoted member of the U. P. Church, having



BIOGRAPHICAL



40/



belonged formerly to the Seceders. Jacob
Grove died about 1828, in his eightieth year,
the father of the following children : Francis
died in Fawn township ; James died in the
West ; William died in the West ; John ; Mat-
thew became the father of William M. Grove,
mentioned elsewhere ; Martin died in the West ;
Peggy married John Stewart, and died in
Chanceford township : Betsy married F.
Grimes, and died in Fawn township ; Thomas ;
and Jennie, who died in York county, married
George Anderson.

Thomas Grove was born on the home-
stead in Chanceford township, in 1785, and
grew up on the farm, helping his father
to clear it up from the wilderness. He
married ]\Iary Williamson and they removed
to Hopewell township, where he bought
land and resided for several years. He
then returned to Chanceford township, and
took up his father's home' farm, caring for
his father in his declining years. After the lat-
ter's death Thomas Grove bought the farm, and
resided upon it until his death in 1852. Re-
ligiously he was a member of the Guinston U.
P. Church. In his political sympathies he was
an old-line Whig. The children born to Mr.
and Mrs. Thomas Grove wei"e as follows ;
Jacob; Peggy, who married Robert Brooks,
died with Matthew ; James, who married Ellen
Allison, died in Hopewell township ; William,
father of James W., married Jane Cross, daugh-
ter of James Cross ; Matthew ; Fliza Jane, died
young; Mary, married A. P. Thompson, of
Dallastown ; and Martin, who died on his grand-
father's home farm, married Sarah Lutz, who
still survives.

Wiliam Grove, son of Thomas and father
of James W.. was born m Hopewell township,
and received a common school education.
When a young man he turned his attention to
farming, purchasing a part of his father's farm
which had been owned by his grandfather, and
on this farm he lived and died. He married
Jane Cross, daughter of James Cross, one of
York county's early settlers, whose father was
an officer in Washington's army. The chil-
dren born to \\^illiam Grove and his wife were :
James W. ; and Sarah E., who married J. Hen-
derson Stewart, of Rockey, Chanceford town-
ship.

James \^^ Grove, son of William, received
his education in the public schools of his town-
ship, his first teacher being Jane ^McFadden,



and the last in the public school William Smith.
At the age of nineteen he finished at Murphy'S'
Academy, where he studied under the careful-
teaching of Rev. Merrill, after which he work -
ed at wagon-making during the summer with
Daniel Conrad. His winters were spent teach-
ing school, his first school being the Conrad
school, which he taught for two terms, and then
for three terms the Thompson school engaged
him as teacher. Both these schools were in his
home township. Mr. Grove followed wagon-
making' with Mr. Conrad for five years, and
\vorked at it at home ofif and on in connection
with farming. In 1873 he bought his present
farm of twenty-nine acres which was part of
the old Armstrong estate. Mr. Grove also has
another farm of fifty acres, formerly belonging
to his father, adjoining his present farm. In
connection with his farming pursuits, he has
been a manufacturer of cigars for the past fif-
teen years.

In 1874 Mr. Grove married Miss Sarah
Ella Moody, born in Shrewsbury township,
daughter of William, a farmer, who died many
years ago, and Matilda (Young) Moody, who
died in July, 1903. To the union of Mr. and
Mrs. Grove came children as follows : W. Cur-
tis, of Lower Chanceford township ; and Lottie
Ethel, who married Birdie S. Curran.

In Ma3^ 1905, Mr. Grove completed twenty
years service as justice of the peace ; he is presi-
dent of the Chanceford Mutual Insurance Com-
pany, and has served as school director six
years. In religion he is a member of the Xew
Harmony Presbyterian Church. In politics he
is a stanch Democrat. Mr. Grove is highly re-
spected in the township, and he holds an exalted
position in the social and political circles in his
community. Mrs. Grove died in July, 1903,
aged fifty-two years.

ELI CUNNINGHAM, a retired farmer of
Springetsbury township, was born near York
in the year 1837.

John Cunning-ham, father of Eli and David,
both prominent citizens of Springetsburv town-
ship, was born in Maryland, Jan. 22, 1800. He
came from his native State to York county at
the age of eighteen and settled near York in
the present area of Springetsbury township.
He first secured employment with George
Loucks, a prominent miller and distiller, and
also assisted in the construction of the railroad
from York to Wr'yhtsville. Being active and



4o8



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENXSYLVAXL\



enterprising, he turned his attention to farming.
Ke first purcliased a small property. By dili-
gence and attentiveness to duty he became the
owner of a farm containing 104 acres, two and
a hall miles northeast of York. When John
Cunningham purchased this land most of it was
uncultivated. By the assistance of his sons, he
cleared the land and made it rich and pro-
ductive, erected new farm buildings, made
many other improvements, and pursued farming
as his occupation the remainder of his life. He
assisted largely in the erection of Mount Zion
Lutheran Church, and was in every way pro-
gressive and public-spirited. Being of kindly
disposition and genial nature, he had a large
circle of friends and many warm admirers.
John Cunningham married Elizabeth, daughter
of John and Christine (Shultz) Spangler. She
was born Oct. 17, 1812. John Cunningham
died in 1866, and his wife survived him until
1883. They became the parents of children,
as follows : William, deceased ; Susan, deceased
wife of William Nye ; George and John, twins,
both deceased; Lucinda, who died unmarried;
Eli, of Springetsbury township ; David ; and
Elizabeth (Mrs. Henry Shultz), of the same
township.

Eli Cunningliam grew to manhood on his
father's farm. Meantime he attended the pub-
lic schools during the winter, and the remaind-
er of the year aided in the cultivation of the
farm. This occupation interested him, and he
later engaged in farming for himself and at-
tended the York markets. He prospered in
this business, and after a while became the own-
er of a part of the homestead farm. He also
became deeply interested in fruit culture, and
planted a large orchard, raising hundreds of
bushels of apples and peaches annually for many
years. In 1893, Mr. Cunningham retired from
farming, and his farm has since been cultivated
by his son.

In the spring of 1867 Mr. Cunningham was
married to Caroline, daughter of Jacob and
Leah (Rudy) Loucks, and the children born of
this marriage are: John E., manager of his
father's farm, who married Miss Alice Christ,
and has four children : Bruce, Mallie, Eli and
an infant ; Emma, who married Henry Leck-
rone, a Springetsbury farmer, and has seven
children : George Elias, Morris William, Car-
rie May, Allen Howard, Anthony Jacob, Wal-
ter Dewey, and Paul Raymond ; Walter, •by-
trade a painter in Springetsbury, who married



]\Iiss Lillie Snyder, and has one child, Ray ; and
Dora, Mrs. George Worley, who resides at the
home of her parents, and has two children :
Grace and Stewart.

In politics ]\Ir. Cunningham is a Democrat,
and he has frequently represented his party in
county conventions and committee meetings.
He has served his township as assessor, road
surveyor, and in other offices. In December,
1894, he was appointed mercantile appraiser for
York county, and filled that responsible office
for one term. Mr. Cunningham is an enter-
prising citizen of Springetsbury, interested in
the public welfare of the township in which he
has spent his entire life. In religion he is a
Lutheran, and has long served as one of the
elders of Mount Zion Church, which his par-
ents attended, and of which his father was one
of the founders,

W. A. REIST, proprietor of the "Colonial
Hotel," in the city of York, is a native of Man-
heim, Lancaster Co., Pa., born in 1866, son of
John H. and Mary Ann (Reiff) Reist, He re-
ceived a good education, graduating from the
Lancaster high school, and has ever since been
connected with the hotel business, in various
capacities. In 1894 he had his first experience
as a proprietor in the hostelry he is at present
conducting, of which he took possession and
where he continued until 1898. George Camp-
bell then succeeded him at the "Colonial," Mr.
Reist becoming proprietor" of the "Sterling
Hotel," at Wilkes-Barre, Pa., which has the
finest fire-proof hotel buildings to be found
anywhere in the State. It was furnished
throughout by Mr. Reist, at an expense of
fifty-two thousand dollars, the eciuipment be-
ing a model of excellence and convenience, and
a credit to his good judgment. After two years
at the "Sterling" ]\Ir. Reist returned to
York, and took possession of the "Hotel Na-
tional," which he refitted and conducted suc-
cessfully until the fall of 1905, when it was
purchased by J\Ir. William M, Dodson. On
disposing of his interest in the "National"' Mt.
Reist purchased a half interest in the "Iroquois
Hotel" at Miami, Fla., which he carries on
during the winter season, and in June, 1906,
he again acquired an interest in a York hotel,
succeeding George Campbell and re-establish-
ing himself at the "Colonial." This hotel is
now- undergoing extensive rebuilding, and a
$300,000 addition is being erected,' of steel and



BIOGRAPHICAL



409



terra cotta, which will be absolutely fire-proof.
These changes are being made at the expense
of the York Hotel Company, of which Dr.
James A. Dale is president and Capt. W. H.
Lanius vice-president. The furnishing of the
hotel will cost $45,000 more. When the work
is completed the-"Colonial" will have two hun-
dred sleeping-rooms, and forty-five bath rooms,
all furnished and equipped in modern style, well
calculated to please the most particular guests.
Mr. Reist's brother, J. Frank Reist, is asso-
ciated with him in the management of the
house.

This brief outline of Mr. Reist's business
career indicates the success he has had by the
advances which he has made in the line of his
chosen life work. Such uniform success in his
vocation betokens remarkable adaptability for
it. and all who know Mr. Reist will agree that
he could hardly have chosen a more suitable
calling. He unites the "good fellowship" neces-
sary to popularity as a host with the executive
ability and faculty for good management es-
sential to financial success. His obliging dis-
position is supplemented b}^ a conscientious re-
gard for the comfort and welfare of his guests,
and his own keen appreciation of the good
things of life enables him to anticipate their
wants to a most gratifying degree. Affable,
congenial, energetic and enterprising, he is an
ideal up-to-date landlord, and his guests show
their approval of his efforts by long-continued
patronage, which is as much of a tribute to his
likable personality as to the solid comforts he
provides. Fraternally he is an Elk and a high
]\Iason, being a member of the Mystic Shrine.

Mr. Reist married Miss Harriet Mi. Gast,
daughter of Amos and Elizabeth Gast, and
they have had one daughter, Elizabeth.

ALVIN REIST was born in ^Manheim,
Lancaster Co., Pa., in 1870, son of John H.
and Mary Ann (Reiff) Reist. He received a
good education and throughout his business
career has been identified with the hotel busi-
ness. For a number of years he was engaged
as steward, in which capacity he was connected
with such well known Pennsylvania hostelries
as the "Hotel Penn," at Reading: the "Colon-
ial,'' at York; and the "Sterling," at Wilkes-
Barre. Then he was manager of the "Hotel
Royal," of York, for some time before he con-
cluded to start business for himself, as proprie-
tor of the "Hotel Victoria," in West York, at



the corner of Company and West streets. This
hotel has thirty-four sleeping-rooms, fitted up
according to the most modern ideas both for
taste and comfort, and is conducted with every
regard for the needs and wishes of its patrons.
]\Ir. Reist has won the high regard of all who
have known him, whether as business associ-
ates or as guests at the various hostelries with
which he has been connected, and he has en-
trenched himself strongl}^ in the esteem of the
best class of people wherever he has gone. His
success as the proprietor of the "Hotel Vic-
toria" is well merited, and a source of gratifica-
tion to the hosts of friends he has made.

Mr. Reist is deservedly popular. He is
known in fraternal circles as an active member
of the Elks, and is zealous in religious work as
a member of the Episcopal Church, of which he
is a liberal supporter. On election day he sup-
ports the Republican party.

Mr. Reist was married, Oct. 19, 1904, to
Miss Sophia Matilda Katz, daughter of Karl
E. and Sophia Matilda (Elminger) Katz, the
ceremony being performed by Rev. William
Vincent Dawson, vicar of the Episcopal
Chapel of the Incarnation, at York.

ALFRED W^ PRO\VELL. now living re-
tired after an active life devoted to agricultural
pursuits, is descended from one of the pioneers
of York county.

^^'illiam Prowell settled in York county at
an early date, and was the father of three sons :
Joseph, Samuel, and James B.

James B. Prowell, son of William, was born
May 18, 1786, and was a farmer of Fairview
township, owning about 425 acres of land. He
did a great deal of building on his farms, also
following distilling to a great extent. He mar-
ried Rebecca Spence. born Oct. 5. 1788,. and
they were the parents of these children : Mar-
garet, born Aug. 30, 181 1 ; John S., born Oct.
14. 1813; Mary, born June 5, 1816; William,
born Sept; 7, 1818: Esther, born Dec. 22, 1819;
Rebecca, born Oct. 6, 1824; James, born May
6, 1827; and Samuel, born Oct. 5, 1831.
James B. Prowell's death occurred in his sixty-
fifth year, while his wife lived to be seventy-
eight years old, and they were both interred at
Salem Church, in Fairview township.

John S. Prowell, son of James B., 1x)rn Oct.
14. 1813, received a common school education,
and at the age of fifteen years, was employed
bv his father as a teamster to Baltimore. He



4IO



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



later followed farming in Fairview township,
and became the owner of a great deal of land.
For a few years prior to his death, which oc-
curred Jan. 1 8, 1886, he lived a retired life.
He married Catherine Wilt, daughter of John
and Julia (Mosej^) Wilt, and she died in Sep-
tember, 1897. Both she and her husband are
buried at Salem Church in Fairview township.
The children born to this worthy couple were :
William, who died young; Joseph, who lives at
Goldsboro ; Alfred W. ; John, who married
Mary Wilt ; and Robert and Mary, who died in
their youth.

Alfred W. Prowell was born Jan. 20, 1840,
in Fairview township, and attended the Cross
Roads school until he was twenty years old.
He then went to farming, assisting his father
and his uncle Samuel on their farms. After
his marriage he located on his father's farm,
which he inherited at the latter's death. Mr.
Prowell built many new buildings and made
improvements, and his farm is now one of the
finest in the section. In i8g8 he retired from
active life, considering that he should have a
rest after his many years of hard labor.

On Dec. 26, 1867, Mr. Prowell married
Miss Harriet E." Zinn, daughter of Adam and
Elizabeth (Shell) Zinn, of York county. The
children born of this vmion were : Joseph Z.,
who married Elizabeth Crane, lives at Mech-
anicsburg, Cumberland county ; Maggie K.
died Feb. 16, 1903, at the age of thirty-three
years, and is interred at the Cross Roads
Church in Fairview township; William H., a
blacksmith, married Augusta Cadwalader, of
Warrington township, and died at the age of
thirty-two years; Mary E., the wife of George
Parthmore, lives at Eichinger's Mill, Fairview
township; James F. married Cordelia Miller;
Samuel W. married Ida N. Souders, and is
farming the old homestead in Fairview town-
ship ; Arvilla J. married H. D. Rudy', of North
Braddock; and Alfred E. married Amanda
Warren, and lives at Lisburn, Cumberland
county.

In political belief Mr. Prowell is a Repub-
lican and at a convention in York, Aug. i, 1905,
he received the nomination by acclamation for
director of the poor. Mr. Prowell is a worthy
representative of an old and honored family,
who have been residents of York coimty for a
great manv vears.



C. B. KRALL was born Jan. 9, 1846, in
Washington township, and was given excellent
educational opportunities at Kralltown, also in
Union county, and at the York Normal School.
Thereafter until 1878 he engaged in teaching
school during the winter seasons, having had
charge of the following schools in Washington
township; Gochenour, Asper, Kimmel, Krall-
town and Barnes, teaching in all ten terms. He
then settled down to farming on the old home-
stead, which he bought of his father. In 1902
he came to his present place, in Washington
township, on which he has erected all the build-
ings, and made all the improvements that have .
converted it into a comfortable home in which
to pass his life, Mr. Krall having practically re-
tired from active labor. In addition to his
other holdings he has a fine farm of one hun-
dred acres in this same township.

Mr. Krall was married (first) to Rebecca
Kinter, daughter of Peter and Catherine ( Def-
ter) Kinter, born Feb. 2. 1856, who died Dec.
4, 1878; she is buried at Red Mount Church.
The one daughter of this union, Katharine J.,
resides at home. Mr. Krall was married ( sec-
ond) to Margaret Mummert, born Jan. 6, 1854,
daughter of Josiah Mummert, and she died Jan.
9, 1899, snd is buried in the cemetery at Red
Mount. She is survived by three sons : John
Alien and Charles Wilmer, who are attending
the Westchester Normal School ; and Frank L.,
at home.

Mr. Krall is identified with the Republican
party, and he has filled a number of local offices,
such as school director and assessor. He has
always been one of the leading members of edu-
cational and religious bodies wherever he has
lived. He is trustee of the United Evangelical
Church at Red Mount, also one of the trustees
of the graveyard, has been for many years »
superintendent of the Sunday-school, a position ^
he still fills, and has always been a liberal con-
tributor to its various avenues of usefulness and
benevolence. No residait of the community is
held in higher esteem.

ELI SHINDEL, one of the large farmers
and substantial citizens of York county, was
born June 21, 185 1, on the Shindel homestead
in Manchester township, son of Frederick and
Sarah (Hake) Shindel, and has been engaged
in farming there his whole life.

Frederick Shindel, the great-grandfather of



BIOGRAPHICAL



4ir



Eli Shindel, was born in Germany, May lo,
1724, and came to America, settling in Man-
chester township, York Co., Pa., about 1775.
He took up a tract of land about two miles
northwest of Emigsville, where he remained
until his death, which occurred Aug. 26, 1804,
when he was aged eighty years, three months
^iicl sixteen days ; he is buried at Ouickel's
Church, in Conewago township.

Frederick G. Shindel, son of Frederick, and
the grandfather of Eli Shindel, was born Aug.
27, 1760, in Manchester township, where he
bought the old home and worked the farm until
his deatlf, Nov. 19, 181 5, at the age of fifty-five
years, two months, twenty-three days. Mr.
Shindel married Gertrude Windemeyer, born
Jan. 15, 1769, who died March 30, 1845, ^ged
seventy-six years, two months, fifteen days.
Both are buried at Quickel's Church. The
children of this worthy couple were as follows :
Jacob, born June 11, 1791, died in Fairview
township Oct. 16, 1875, aged eighty-four years,
four months, five days ; Philip, born Sept. 20,
1793, died April 20, 1876, aged eighty-two
years, seven months, in Manchester township;
George, born Aug. i, 1795, died Aug. 6, 1882,
aged eighty-seven years, five days, in Manches-
ter township: Daniel, born Jan. 20, 1798, died
in the same township Sept. 9, 1886, aged eigh-
ty-dig-ht years seven months, nineteen days ;
John, born May 10, 1800, died in Manchester
township May 24, 1885, aged eighty-fi\-e years,
fourteen days, and is buried at Aughenbaugh's
school house; Frederick, born Nov. 30. 1806,
died May 24, 1887, aged eighty years, five
months, twenty- four days; Leah, born Oct. 12,
1814, married George Richtenberger, and died
in New Cumberland, Cumberland Co., Pa.,
Nov. 4, 1900, aged eighty-six years, twenty-
two days. Jacob, Philip, George, and Fred-
erick Shindel are buried at Ouickel's Church,
and Daniel and John Shindel are buried at
Aughenbaugh's school house.

Frederick Shindel, the father of Eli, was
born Nov. 30, 1806, in Manchester township,
and was educated at the York County
Academy. For thirteen years he taught
school, becoming very well known as a man
of superior education and an educator
throughout York county. He was noted for
his penmanship, and was often called upon to
engross documents and other important papers.
Air. Shindel was the possessor of two fine
farms in Alanchester township, of 125 and



thirty acres, respectively (upon the latter of
which Eli Shindel now resides), and forty
acres of woodland in Conewago township.
Mr. Shindel cultivated his farms with industry
and success, and under his capable management
made them wonderfully productive. On April
9, 1848, he married Sarah Hake, the estimable
daughter of Jacob and Marianna (Copen-
hafer) Hake, of Manchester township. Mrs.
Shindel was born Feb. 9, 1812, and died March
8, 1889, aged seventy-seven years, twenty-nine
days. Mr. Shindel died May 24, 1887,' aged
eighty years, five months, twenty-four days.
Both were buried at Quickel's church, in Cone-
wago township, where all of Mr. Shindel'^
American ancestors have been interred.

Eli Shindel was the only child of his par-
ents. He attended the township schools until
about twent3'-one years of age, when he entered
the York County Academy, but his eyes fail-
ing him he could not continue at his books. He
remained at home with his father, assisting
on the farm, and at his father's death fell heir
to his entire estate. Mr. Shindel has made
many improvements on the property, building
fine structures and doing extensive repairing,
and the farms are about the most orderly and
well-kept in the township. Mr. Shindel does
not labor on the farms himself, but verv ably
oversees the work, and under his watchful eye
the farms have both become very productive.
He resides on the snug little thirty-acre farm
in Manchester township, and he is verv well
known and highly respected in the community.

On March 18, 1890, Mr. Shindel married,
in Conewago township, at the home of Jacob
B. Bear. Mary Jane Sipe, who was born in
1858, daughter of Francis H. and Elizabeth
(Dellinger) Sipe. Two children have come to
Mr. and Mrs. Shindel : Martha Jane, born
Nov. 29. 1891, and Frederick Allen, born
April 28. 1895, who is the fourth member of
the family to bear this name ; both children are
at home.

Mr. Shindel votes the Republican ticket.
He is a member of Quickel's Church.

JOHN H. GLASSICK, of Felton, York
county, was born July 18, 1850, son of Genesis
and !\Iay (Linebaugh) Glassick.

Joseph Glassick, the grandfather of John
H., was a farmer of York county, and had
these children: Jeremiah: Genesis; Sarah, who



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 78 of 201)