Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 79 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 79 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


married Air. Minon ; Alary ; Caroline, who



412



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



married George Eckhart; Joseph, married
Heta Smitli; William, who married Cathrine
Eckart; and Vastmaria, who married Jacob
Dittenheffer.

Genesis Glassick, the father of our subject,
was a farmer of York county, and was very
prominent in the work of the M. E. Church
in this section, for many years being an ex-
horter and class leader and superintendent of
the Sunday-school. He was one of the
founders of the M. E. Church at Cross Roads,
and one of its uiost liberal financial supporters.
His death occurred July 30, 1898, at the age
of seventy-four years, and five days; his wife
passed away Feb. 25, 1894, at the age of
eighty-four years, eight months and si-x^teen
days, and they were both buried at the Cross
Roads M. E. Church burying ground. Two
children had been born to them, John H. and
William D.

John H. Glassick was reared in his native
place and attended the schools of Hopewell
township, living upon the farm upon which he
now resides, and which he now owns. This
farm has been owned by the Glassick family
for about fifty-eight years. John H. Glassick's
whole life has been devoted to farming, the
improvement, development and cultivation of
his large property fully occupying his time.

In politics Mr. Glassick is a stanch Demo-
crat, but has never accepted office. In 1870
he married Miss Agnes Snyder, daughter of
Jesse Snyder, of York county, and four chil-
dren have been born to them : Thomas W. ;
Minnie F., who married Charles S. Bair, a
merchant of Laurel; Lottie E., who married
Howard Hershinger; and Charles W. Fra-
ternally, Mr. Glassick is affiliated with the
Shrewsbury Lodge, A. F. & A. M. His efforts
have met with much success, and he is placed
with the solid, substantial men of his town-
ship.

REV. JOHN A. METZGER. The deep
religious sentiment tliat imbued the early
pioneers of York and other counties of Penn-
sylvania finds expression to this day in the
devoted lives of many descendants of those
God-fearing ancestors. Rev. John A. Metzger
is of the fifth generation from AVilliam Metzger,
who migrated early in the eighteenth century
to America, and settled near Manchester, York
county. Next in this line of descent was his
son William Metzger, and of the third genera-



tion was John Metzger, grandfather of Rev.
John A. Besides following the almost uni-
versal vocation of farming John Metzger was
for many years a teacher in York county.

Zachariah Metzger, son of John, was born
in York county March i, 1821. He married
Maria Preiser, who was born Nov. i, 1825, near
Mt. Wolf, York county, daughter of Jacob
and Catherine (Bubb) Feiser. After marriage
Zachariah Metzger settled on the old home-
stead near Manchester, where he engaged in
farming, becoming one of the prosperous and
influential citizens of the neighborhood. He
was a devoted member of what was then
known as the Quickels Lutheran Church, near
Manchester. He died July 25, 1900, at the
ripe old age of seventy-nine j^ears, and was
buried at Quickels church. To Zachariah and
Maria Metzger were born three children : Mary
E., wife of Abram Hartman, a prosperous
farmer residing in Manchester township;
Louis C, deceased; and John A.

John A. Metzger was born near Manches-
ter, Pa., April 5, 1855. His primary education
was received in the common schools of that
vicinity. On leaA'ing the public schools in
1876 he entered Pennsylvania College, at
Gettysburg, from which he graduated in 1880.
Entering the Lutheran Theological Seminary
at the same place, Mr. Metzger graduated from
the institution in 1883. He was ordained by
the Synod soon after, and his first and only
charge has been at Hanover, where for the past
t^^вЦ†enty-two years he has served four country
congregations, aggreg'ating one thousand com-
municants. Rev. Metzger preaches twice each
Sunday, thus serving two congregations, while
his colleague, Mr. Hartman, alternating with
him, fills the pulpit at the other two, the
charges all being located in the rich and fertile
country of the neighboring regions.

Rev. Mr. Metzger was married Sept. 25,
1882, to Miss Mary C. Gulp, of Gettysburg,
daughter of William and Lydia (Weikert)
Gulp, who were early settlers of Adams coun-
ty. Two children were lx)rn to this union.
Paul A. (deceased) and Ruth E. Rev. and
Mrs. I\Ietzger have also adopted a little daugh-
ter, Katherine Bentz. Rev. Metzger is a mem-
ber of Patmos Lodge, No. 348, A. F. & A. M.,
of which he is a past master. He is also a
member of the K. of P. His residence, which
is the parsonage, is located at No. 112 Pleas-
ant street, Hanover.



BIOGRAPHICAL



413



LYMAX B. AIOODY, chief engineer of
the Glen Manufacturing Co., of Glen Rock,
York county, Pa., was born July 23, 1847. '"
.Shrewsbury borougli, son of William P. and
Matilda (Young) Moody. The paternal
grandfather, John Moody, married Mary
Eaton, of Maryland, and they were the parents
of the following children : William P. ; Dr.
James; Susan; Elizabeth, and John, who died
in infancy. John Moody was a stone-mason
and followed his trade in York county until
his death. The maternal grandfather was
Henry Young, who for many years was an
Evangelical minister in York county. He was
father of the following children : Matilda,
Zacharias, Henry and Leah. William P.
Mood}' was for many years superintendent of
'the Harrisburg and Baltimore pike. He was a
member of the M. E. Church, and died in 1865,
the father of these children : Lyman B. ; j\Iary
died young; Ella married J. S. Grove; John
M. ; Addie B. married John E. Bentz ; Octavia
married F. L. Bair; Edward; Amanda mar-
ried John Rittenhouse ; and three died in in-
fancy.

Lyman B. Moody attended the Shrewsbury
public schools and Lightner's school house, at
North York, later studying two terms at York
'County Academy under Professor Rube\",
shaping his course at the latter with the view
of becoming' a machinist and engineer. How
well he succeeded can be seen by the fact that
for four years he was chief engineer at the
Cornwall Iron Works, coming in 1876 to Glen
Rock and entering the employ of Hoshour,
D!se & Co., as engineer. He remained with
that firm until the Glen Manufacturing Co.
was incorporated, of which, as noted, he is
chief engineer. Mr. Moody has many other in-
terests, being one of the org-anizers and stock-
holders of the Enterprise Furniture Company
of Glen Rock and also a stockholder in the
Glen Manufacturing Company.

Mr. Moody is very active in public affairs,
and it was during his three terms as burgess
of Glen Rock that many improvements to the
town have been made, not the least of which was
the installation of the electric light system.
Fraternally he has connected himself with the
Knights of Pythias, and the Red Men. Since
1873 I'^s ^^^^ been a member of the M. E.
Church and he is now" a trustee and Sunday-
school superintendent. In 1872 Air. Moody



married :Mary E. Disc, daughter of John Dise
of Shrewsbury township, and these children
ha\-e been born to this union : William H, died
in 1880; Alice, deceased, married Prof. C. A.
Deveney; Carrie L. ; Edward E. ; Ira M.-
Harold ; Curtis and Ida. Mr. Moody is justly
regarded as one of the leading and representa-
tive citizens of Glen Rock, and he enjovs the
esteem and respect of the community which has
known him so long. He is a thorough me-
chanic, and is upright in all his dealings.

CHARLES A. GROTE, justice of the
peace of Manheim township, and a highly es-
teemed resident of that locality, was born in
Shrewsbury township, York Co'., Pa., July 23,
1855, son of Charles Grote.

Charles Grote came to the United States
when twenty-five years o'f age, landing at Bal-
timore, whence he migrated to Shrewsbury
township. He first followed distilling, and
later went to farming, in which latter occupa-
tion he continued until his dea'h Nov. 27, 1902,
\\-hen he was aged seventy-five years. He is
buried at Stiltz Church. His widow, JNIrs.
Joanna (Zeigler) Grote, resides on the old
home farm in Codorus township. The\- had the
following children : Louisa, wife of John Leu-
becker, lives in Baltimore Co., Md. ; Charles
A.; Joanna, wife of Samuel H. Hoke, lives
in Shrewsbury township; Alberdena, wife of
Emanuel Sheaffer, lives in Codorus township;
George W., a contractor and buildei of St.
Joseph, Mo., married Flotilla I. Parvis, of
Boone Co., Indiana; Henry died in Illinois,
leaving two daughters and his widow, the lattei
now also deceased ; Ethel ; Bethel ; and Amelia
and Leah are deceased. Mr. Grote was a Dem-
ocrat, and served his township as school direc-
tor and tax collector.

Charles A. Grote attended the schools of
Codorus and Shrewsbury townships until four-
teen years old, and then learned shoemaking
with John Sterling at Glen Rock. He is still
engaged in that business, in connection with
farming. Mr. Grote married Seranda T.
Sterner, daughter of Henry and Mary
(Herbst) Sterner, and after marriage, the
young couple located in Codorus township, and
there remained for ten years, after which he
purchased his present fifty-acre farm. He was
appointed justice of the peace in 1890. and still
holds that oflice. As was his father. ]Mr. Grote



414



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



is a Democrat, and he has also served as as-
sessor for three years in Codorus township.
He is a member of St. James Lutheran Church
of Codorus township, and for twenty-two years
has been a member of the choir, also serving
twenty-one years as secretary of the Sunday-
school.

To Mr. and Mrs. Grote were born : Mary,
wife of Monroe H. Rohrbaugh, of Codorus
township; Henry M., who married Lizzie
Boehler, and lives in Manheim township ; Cora
A., wife of Samuel M. Rohrbaugh, and living
in IManheim township; George R., who assists
his father; and Harvey C, Lizzie A., Florence
V. and Albert E., at home. Charles died when
two years old, and Ira when one and one-half
years.

Mr. Grote's postoffice is Brodbecks, Pa.
He is one of the township's leading men, is
very popular and highly esteemed, and is a
true Christian gentleman.

T. FLETCHER LUTZ, M. D., merits
representation in this compilation by reason of
the prestige which is his as one of the thor-
oughly schooled and distinctly successful mem-
bers of the medical profession in York county,
his residence being in the attractive borough
of Glen Rock, while he controls a large and
representative practice in that section of the
county, being held in high regard as a physician
and as a citizen.

Dr. Lutz is a native of the city of Baltimore,
Md., where he made his debut on the stage
of life Nov. 25, 1872, being a son of Charles
Wesley and Mary Ann (Richmond) Lutz.
The Doctor's great-great-grandparents in the
agnatic line were born at Zeiselheim, near
Worms, Germany, and are supposed to be
buried at that place. Their son, Valentine
Lutz, was for many years a prominent con-
tractor and builder in Baltimore, where he was
engaged in business until the close of his life.
He passed away in i860, at the age of ninety-
three years.

John G. Lutz, the Doctor's grandfather,
was born March 16, 18 10, and died Feb. 7,
1884. He married Mary Jackson, who was
born Oct. i, 1820, in Smithfield, W. Va., and
died July 22, 1883. She was a daughter of
William Jackson, born in 1781, died in 1826,
who married Mary Jane Walker, born in 1 789,
died in 1S55; her father, Jonathan Walker,



was born in 1732, and was killed while serving
m the Revolutionary war in 1777.

Charles Wesley Lutz, father of J. Fletcher,
was born and reared in the beautiful old
"Monument City" and metropolis of the State
of Maryland. He was a carpenter by trade,
and became a successful contractor and builder
in his native city, where he was busily engaged
until his death in 1881, while his cherished and
devoted wife, Marj' Ann Richmond, died Feb.
12, 1903. Of their two children, the Doctor
is the elder ; and his brother, William Rich-
mond, married Miss Charlotte Eigner, of
Baltimore, and they make their home in that
city.

The maternal great-great-grandfather of
Dr. Lutz was John Wilkes Howland, whose
loyalty to the king caused him to refuse to take
up arms in behalf of the Colonies, and he was
never again heard from, it being supposed that
he went to England. His only child, Nancy,
born Aug. 7, 1771, in Howard county. Md.,
married Jeremiah Cullum, born June 18, 1762.
The Howlands were descended from John
Howland, who came to this land on the first
voyage of the "Mayflower" in 1620, and who !
married Elizabeth, daughter of John Tilley,
also passengers on the "Mayflower." John
Howland died Feb. 23, 1672-3, aged above
eighty years. According to the Plymouth
Records "Hee was a godly man and an ancient
professor in the wayes of Christ. Hee was one
of the first comers into this land and was the
last man that was left of those that came over
in the Ship called the Mayflower that lived in
Plymouth." He left numerous descendants. Jt
The Howlands were numbered among the law- V
makers of Eng-land, and representatives of the
name became members of the House of Lords,
and attained much of distinction in public life.

Authentic data establish the fact that the
original emigrant of the Cullum family came
to the American Colonies with the second Lord
Baltimore's expedition, or about that time.
The Cullums were residents of Harford coun-
ty, Md., for many years, and in later genera-
tions representatives of the family located in
New York, and one member established a home
at a place designated as Cullum's Riffles, near
the city of Cincinnati, Ohio. Originally the
Cullums were from Haistead House, Suffolk,
England, where the name was identified with
the great basic art of agriculture for many gen-



BIOGRAPHICAL



415



erations, raising malt grains in the district of
a ready market, while the lineage traces back
to good patrician stock.

Jeremiah Cullum, who married Nancy
Rowland, was an architect by vocation. He
and his wife had nine children, of whom Mary,
born April 12, 1788, married James Fletcher;
John Wilkes Howland, born May 28, 1790,
married Sarah Marvin ; Margaret, born May
20, 1793, married James Edwards; Harriet,
born Aug. 20, 1795, becamie the wife of Elijah
Therlkekl; William Pitt, born Nov. 28, 1797,
married Mary Boone ; Richard Howland, born
Oct. 9, 1800, married Naomi Parsons; Ann,
born Nov. 9, 1804, married William Clark;
Jeremiah Wesley, born February 18, 1808,
married Margaret Blair; and Emanuel How-
ard, born Jan. 13, 1813, died at the age
of thirteen months, on the thirteenth day
of the month. James Fletcher, the ma-
ternal great-grandfather of Dr. Lutz, served
with distinction in the war of 1812, as did also
John Wilkes Cullum, and their homes were
thrown open for the reception and care of sick
and wounded soldiers. Henry Richmond,
father of Mary Ann (Richmond) Lutz and
grandfather of Dr. Lutz, was of English
lineage on his father's side, and of French-
Canadian on his mother's. He was a man of
admirable attributes of character, strong in his
individuality, and he gained and retained the
respect and high regard of all with whom he
came in contact. His wife was a woman of
remarkable will power, and it is said of her
that the "soft, soothing touch of her hand
would charm away the worst pain."

Dr. J. Fletcher Lutz secured his early edu-
cational discipline in the public schools of his
native city, and the Baltimore Polytechnical
School, where he completed a course of study,
which was supplemented by further study in
Sadler's Business College, where he was grad-
uated as a member of the class of 1889. In the
meanwhile he had formulated definite plans
touching his future career, and in harmony
therewith he took up the study of medicine,
matriculated in the College of Physicians and
Surgeons, Baltimore, where he made most ap-
preciative use of the superior advantages of-
fered, completing the prescribed course, and
being there graduated as a member of the class
of 1894. Soon after receiving his well-earned
degree of Doctor of Medicine, he became resi-



dent physician of Bay View Hospital, in Balti-
more, thus fortifying himself for his chosen
profession through the clinical experience to
be gained in the hospital, in which he remained
as interne for two years, within which period
he also took up a special course in the Presby-
terian Eye & Ear Hospital, in the same city.
After leaving Bay View Dr. Lutz entered the
New York Polyclinic where he took a post-
graduate course in 1895. In January, 1896,
he located in Glen Rock, York Co., Pa., where
he has since remained in active practice, hav-
ing secured a representative clientage and
gained prestige as a physician and surgeon of
high attainments and great practical skill and
judgment. His office is one of the best in
equipment to be found in the county, having
the most modern and approved electrical ap-
pliances and other accessories demanded in the
best medical and surgical treatments. His
practice is constantly expanding in scope and
importance, and he is gradually finding it ex-
pedient to devote the major portion of his time
to office practice, finding but little opportun-
ity to respond to the many demands upon him
from the country districts. He is regarded as
an expert, in the treatment of diseases of the
Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat, having given spe-
cial attention to the study of this type of disor-
ders and their proper treatment, but he does
not confine his labors to any special branch, his
practice being general. In 1903 Dr. Lutz took a
special course in Microscopy under Dr. Charles
Simon, of Baltimore, and also a special course
in bacteriology.

Dr. Lutz is a loyal and public-spirited citi-
zen, and has fully identified himself with local
afi'airs of a civic and social nature. He is a
member of the directorate of the Freedom
Wire Cloth Company, and is president of the
board of education of Glen Rock. He is identi-
fied in a fraternal wav with Shrewsbury' Lodge,
No. 423, A. F. & A.'M. ; Howell Chapter. No.
199, R. A. M. ; and York Commandery, No.
75, K. T., in York. He is also affiliated with
Zembo Temple ( Harrisburg, Pa. ) of the
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine. Professionally he belongs to
the York county and Pennsylvania State ]\Iedi-
cal societies.

On Sept. 12, 1895. Dr. Lutz was married
to Miss Lottie Eh-a Heathcote, daughter of
Lewin K. and Sarah J. Heathcote, of Glen



4i6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY,, PENNSYLVANIA



Rock, and of this union have been born two
children, Lewin Richmond and \\'illiam
Fletcher.

JAr^IES G. PATTERSON, proprietor of
the Stewartstown nursery and the owner of a
fine farm in Hopewell township, York county,
was born near Stewartstown, on the old Major
Patterson farm, Feb. i8, 1835, a son of Edie
and Catherine (Meads) Patterson.

Major James Patterson, his paternal
grandfather, came from near Belfast, Ireland.
When he landed in New York City he was ac-
companied by his father, Alexander Patterson,
a man well along in years. The latter grew
homesick and started back to his own green
isle, but he neA'er reached it, being taken sick
while alxiard-ship and dying on the coast of
Scotland. Sarah (Ferris), the wife of Alex-
ander Patterson, was a native also of Ireland,
and died in Hopewell township, York county;
she was buried in old Round Hill cemetery.
Alexander Patterson and his wife had five
sons, namely: Robert, who was an officer in
the Continental army, and, died in Lancaster
county. Pa. : John, who also died in Lancaster
county; William, who died in Baltimore, Md. ;
James, the grandfather of James G. Patterson ;
and Samuel, who died in Little Britain town-
ship, Lancaster county.

James Patterson, of this family, settled near
Stewartstown, York county. He became an
oificer in the Revolutionary war, and served
as aide to Gen. Washington.

Edie Patterson, son of Major James, was
born and reared on his father's farm, which he
subsequently bought. He married Catherine
Meads, who was born in Harford county, Md.,
but was reared in Hopewell township, daughter
of Benedict and Mary (Miles) Meads. They
had children as follows : James G. is men-
tioned below ; Benedjict, who married Sarah
Krout, was surgeon of his regiment in the
Civil war and was wounded at the battle of
Antietam, dying in 1862 in the hospital at
Georgetown; William, who was accidentally
killed at the "Colonial Hotel," in York, left a
widow, daughter of Dr. Lightner, of York;
Archibald was a well-known attorney in York
county, married Virginia Keene, and died in
York ; Hannah C. married Edie Hammer, of
Stewartstown ; Sarah Ann became Mrs. An-
drew Hedriclc, of Stewartstown ; Adam E. mar-



ried Sarah A. Smith, and died in Philadelphia;
Ellen became Mrs. William Bahn, of Balti-
more.

James G. Patterson attended the public
schools and later White Hall Academy, in
Cumberland county, and for a part of two years
taught a school in the vicinity of York, later
teaching the Possumtown school, under County
Superintendent Blair. His main business, how-
ever, has always been farming, in addition to
which he has engaged in the feeding of cattle
and hogs. He settled on what is now John
Rehmeyer's farm for a short time, and then
bought his present farm, which consists of 100
acres.. Some twelve years ago he entered ex-
tensivel)' into the nursery business, a line in
which he has taken a deep interest ever since
boyhood. He has made all the improvements
on his place with the exception of the old
springhouse, which has stood here for genera-
tions. His property is recognized as one of the
good farms of the township and a nursery
where only dependable stock is sold.

In 1870 Mr. Patterson was married to Ade-
line Fulton, daughter of Thomas Fulton, of
Cecil county, Md., where Mrs. Patterson was
born. She spent some of her childhood days
in York county and at the time of her marriage
was living in the State of New York. Her
death, which occurred Oct. 30, 1903, left many
to mourn the loss of a most estimable woman
and a sincere Christian. For years she was
very active in the work of the Presbyterian
Church. She is survived by a son, James, who
resides at home, and married Ella Runkle. A
daughter, Carrie, died in childhood.

Mr. Patterson was reared in the Round
Hill Presbyterian Church, but later united for
a time with the Baptist denomination, after his
marriage resuming his Presbyterian Church re-
lationship. He is now a leading member of this
church at Stewartstown. In politics he has
been a lifelong Democrat, and for years has
been a dominant factor in the party in his lo-
calit^^ He served for eighteen years as audi-
tor of the township, his term of service expir-
ing in the spring of 1905. On numerous occa-
sions he has been a delegate to both coynty and
State conventions, and he is closely connected
with those who are recognized party leaders.
A man of quick intelligence and fine conversa-
tional powers, he is also a hospitable and en-
gaging host. He stands well in his township





^^22^^12^^



BIOGRAPPIICAL



417



as a man of high pers(3nal character and as a
most wortliy and useful citizen.

JOHN A. FISHEL was born March 2,
1865, in Monaghan township, son of George
and Ehzabeth (Hofifman) Fishel, and is of
German extraction.

George Fishel, Sr., his grandfather, was
born in Codorus township. By his first wife
he had two children. Michael and Jacob, from
whom there has been a large progeny. By
his second marriage the following children
were born : Edward, Isaac, George, Sarah and
Rebecca. In religion the family were Luther-
ans, and Mr. Fishel was a stanch Democrat.

George Fishel, the father of John A., was
born in 1828, in Codorus township, and re-
ceived his education in the common schools.
He learned the carpenter's trade and followed
that line practically all his life. Mr. Fishel
was a soldier in the Civil war, enlisting in
Company I, 200th P. V. L, and he received a
grm shot wound at Fort Steadman, in March,
1865, from which he never fully recovered.
His death occurred in 1898, while his wife sur-
vived until 1902, when she passed away aged
seventy years. The children born to this
worthy couple were: Henry W., a physician in
Harrisburg; Edward H., a carpenter; Geral-
gust, a farmer residing in Iowa; Dianiel, a
farmer of South Dakota; William A., a mer-
chant of Princeton, 111.; George B., deceased;
John A. ; Peter A., an instructor in the York
high school; Dave O., a carpenter; and Frank
E., who died in infancy.



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 79 of 201)