Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 8 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 8 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Pa., in 1864, and was ordained to the ministry
at Hanover, Pa., Sept. 5th, of that year. He
married (first) Sept. 4, 1866, Anna Elizabeth,
who was born July 16, 1832, and died June 14,
1884, daughter of David G. and Emma
(Moore) Wilson, of Philadelphia. David G.
Wilson was a son of John and Ann (Wood)
Wilson; his wife, Emma, was a daughter of
Enoch and Elizabeth (Alderman) Moore.
Mr. Klinefelter married (second) April 2,
1891, Clara A. Wunderlich, of Chambersburg,
who died suddenly Aug. 3, 1904, at Moore's,
Delaware Co., Pennsylvania.



Adam Klinefelter, father of Frederick, was
born near Shrewsbury, Pa., April 9, 1796, and
died in York, May i, 1871. He was a son of
Michael Klinefelter. Sarah (Doudel) Kline-
felter, mother of Frederick, was born in York,
Oct. 18, 1794, and died in that city Nov. 30,
1867. Her parents were Jacob and Catherine
(Dinkel) Doudel.

Jacob Doudel, who was born June 28, 1 760,
and died Sept. 21, 1837, enHsted in 1776, as
a drummer boy in Capt. Michael Doudel's
Company, of York, under Col. Swope. He en-
listed again in November, 1782, under Capt.
Ford, Major Bailey commanding.

GEORGE E. NEFF, member of the law
firm of Niles & Neff, of York, was born Aug.
12, i860, at Wenona, Marshall Co., 111., son
of George W. and Mary Ann (Lehr) Neff.
Mr. Neff attended the public schools of York,
Pa., graduating from the high school in the
class of 1877, after which he took up the read-
ing of law. He received his preparation for
the profession under William H. Kain, Esq.,
now deceased, and was admitted to the Bar
July IS, 1882. In October, 1884, Mr. Neff
formed a partnership with W. F. Bay Stewart
and Henry C. Niles, the firm taking the name
of Stewart, Niles & Neff, and continuing as
such until Mr. Stewart was elected Judge.
Since January i, 1896, it has been Niles &
Neff. Mr. Neff was in the public service as
member of the common council of York in
1885. He is a member of St. Paul's Evangel-
ical Lutheran Church of York.

GEORGE W. HEIGES (deceased). Sel-
dom has any man in public life won for him-
self so warm a place in the esteem and af-
fection of all who were brought in contact
with him as did George W. Heiges during
the thirty odd years he spent in York. The
city of York lost a favored son in his death,
but she did not sorrow alone. The county of
York mourned a distinguished public ser-
vant, and the State of Pennsylvania was de-
prived of the services of an eminent practi-
tioner of law. His death occurred Dec. 3,
1900.

George W. Heiges was born in Dillsburg,
York county. May 18, 1842, son of Jacob and
Elizabeth (Mumper) Heiges, and he was
reared at Dillsburg, where he attended the pub-
lic schools, also going to the Normal school and



38



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Newville Academy. At the age of seventeen
years Mr. Heiges began teaching in the vicin-
ity of his home, and in 1861 located in York,
to accept a position under his brother, Samuel
B. Heiges, superintendent of the York schools.
In the fall of 1862 Mr. Heiges took charge of
the Cottage Hill college, which he conducted
until 1865, when it was closed, and he took up
the study of law under D. J. Williams. After
being admitted to the Bar he located in York,
opening an office alone, and from that time
until his death practiced law extensively. Mr.
Heiges served in the State Legislature in 1873
and 1874, and filled the office of burgess of
York borough, being the last to fill that office.
Mr. Heiges was ever ready to aid his city or
county in any way, and his influence in the
Democratic ranks, of which he was a stanch
member, was such that he was many times ap-
pointed to stump the State, when the occasion
warranted. When his services were in de-
mand, Mr. Heiges was ever ready, and the
effect of his work was felt throughout the
county.

Mr. Heiges was a member of the F. & A.
M., charter member of Zeredatha Lodge of
York, No. 451, P. M.; Howell Chapter No.
199, past high priest; York Commandery, No.
21, P. C. ; member of the I. O. O. F. ; was a
member of the State Bar Association and of
the Pennsylvania German Society. He was a
communicant of St. John's Episcopal Church,
and was a member of the choir for many years,
being the first leader of the boy choir, and was
also active in Sabbath school work.

George W. Heiges married in York, Mary
E. Gallager, daughter of John and Frances A.
(Days) Gallager; she died Dec. 7, 1905. Mr.
and Mrs. Heiges had two children : Helen D.,
who died in 1 896, at the age of twenty years ;
and Stuart S., at home. The latter is organist
at the First M. E. Church, and leader of the
City Band of York, of which he has been con-
ductor since he was nineteen years of age, be-
ing one of the youngest band leaders in the
State, and he is also an instructor on the clar-
inet, and gives private lessons on the piano.

The parents of Mrs. Heiges are both de-
ceased. The father came from County Done-
gal, town of Ramelton, Ireland, with his par-
ents at the age of twelve years, locating in
Westmoreland county. His father was Thomas
Gallager, whose father was a cousin of Eliz-



abeth Patterson, who became the wife of Bona-
parte. Thomas Gallager married a Miss Mc-
Elhinny, a native of London, and after locat-
ing in Westmoreland county, settled upon a
large farm upon which he lived until his death.
He was one of the prosperous citizens of that
section of Pennsylvania, and was vestryman
of the Episcopal Church at Greensburg. He
reared a large family, whom he gave the ad-
vantages of a good education.

John Gallager, Mrs. Heiges' father, was
born in 1802, and died in 1865, in York, in
the home where Mrs. Heiges resided. He
was educated at Dickinson College, Carlisle,
and when a young man went to Baltimore, Md.,
and associated himself with Thomas and James
Harwood, commission merchants, in 1830 com-
ing to York where he engaged in a mercantile
business, which he followed until his death.
He was vestryman of St. John's Episcopal
Church, and V. P. of St. Patrick's Beneficial
Society. He married Miss Frances A. Day,
of Frederick, Md., who was of German ances-
try. She died in 1847, ^^ the age of thirty-
three years, the mother of two children : Isa-
bella, the widow of I. A. Coombs, a soldier of
the Civil war; and Mary G., who married
George W. Heiges.

EDMUND W. MEISENHELDER, M. D^
For a long period of years, commencing as
early as 1683, and continuing, practically with
a steadily increasing flow, to the very dawn of
the American Revolution, a great tide of Ger-
man immigrants, mostly from the Palatinate,
swept across the Atlantic to the shores of this
Western world. The wanton destruction of
towns and cities; the unnecessary and wide-
spread devastation of landed estates; the in-
dustrial depression which affected all the walks
of life; the political and religious ostracism
and oppression everywhere prevalent, as at-
tendant and dependent upon the great conti-
nental wars, left an aftermath of poverty and
want, of distress and of suffering, so bitter, and
of conditions, political and religious, so chaotic
and so trying, as to impel thousands of all
classes and conditions to look elsewhere for
some ray of hope to pierce the almost im-
penetrable gloom of a situation no longer en-
durable.

To these anxious seekers for a brighter day,
for a land of promise, wherein there should be
absolute freedom of conscience, and where



: .<:4iB.i,x«_>«a- ,





'/^<tc



AjCyLr^



BIOGRAPHICAL



39



each, without onerous restrictions, could reap
the fruit of his labors, none appealed with such
force and favor as the land of Penn. Doubt-
less the glamour of this far-distant country,
picture of fact and fancy, so different from
their own miserable surroundings, added en-
chantment to the view, and in these sylvan
shades they sought that release from care and
anxiety elsewhere denied. To this great Com-
monwealth, rich in material resources, with
boundless treasure hidden in the bowels of the
earth, with its wooded hills and valleys, and
soil of unsurpassed fertility, that great in-
fusion of German blood, inspired by an ardent
love for liberty, tempered by a safe con-
servatism, and by profound religious convic-
tions, was a Godsend — a blessing of untold
magnitude — reaching through all the years that
now lie buried in the past, yet finding un-
diminished force in the living present. Of the
history of this great State they have illumined
every page; theirs is no ignoble place; not less
than others they have blazed their way to name
and fame. Never, on field or forum, have they
played a minor part ; in battle their blood has
flowed as freely, and in the council chamber
their wisdom has shone as brilliantly, as that
of those born under other skies.

At the port of Philadelphia, from the ship
''Neptune," John Mason, captain, Sept. 24,
1 75 1, landed a German immigrant, by name
David Meisenhelder — erroneously given as
David Maisheller. As to his birth and ante-
cedents the lapse of time has left no trace. He
wended his way westward to Lancaster county.
Pa., and undoubtedly settled in that locality.
The records of Trinity Lutheran Church, Lan-
caster city, show that to him and his wife Mar-
garetha, nee Fischer, was born a son, Aug. 14,
1752; a second son was born Nov. 3, 1753,
and a third, April 8, 1756. The second son,
baptized Johann David Meisenhelder, was the
great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch.
During the war of the Revolution he lived in
Mount Joy township, Lancaster county, and, in
the year 1776 was enrolled therein as a free-
man, and taxed fifteen shillings. In the latter
part of the eighteenth century he moved to
York county, and settled in Dover township,
building a log dwelling-house, one and one-half
stories high, and a stone barn, on the north side
of Fox run, and about one-fourth of a mile
west of the Bull road. Here he lived and pros-
pered, and his increasing landed possessions
required the erection of additional buildings.



A stone dwelling-house, a large stone barn, and
a stone chopping-mill were built in 18 18, on
the low ground nearer the creek. He died in
1819, and the ancestral acres, at one time said
to have been four hundred, passed into the
hands of his sons John and Samuel. He left
a large family — not an unusual thing in those
early days. One son, Jacob, was the paternal
grandfather, and Anna Maria Neumann,
daughter of George Neumann, was the paternal
grandmother, of Dr. Edmund W. Meisen-
helder.

Edmund Washington Meisenhelder was
born Feb. 22, 1843, i" the village of Dover,
York Co., Pa., in a log dwelling of the earlier
days, which he can still distinctly recall. His
father was Dr. Samuel Meisenhelder, a son of
Jacob Meisenhelder, a lineal descendant of the
immigrant of 1751. For many years Dr. Sam-
uel Meisenhelder was a practitioner of medi-
cine in East Berlin, Adams Co., Pa. He died
in 1883, respected and honored by all who
knew him.

The mother of the subject of this sketch
was Josephine Sarah Meisenhelder, nee Lewis,
the daughter and oldest child of Dr. Robert
Lewis and Mary (Moore) Lewis. Dr. Robert
Lewis was a lineal descendant of that Ellis-
Lewis who came over to America in 1708,
from the North of Ireland. The stock was of
Quaker faith, primarily Welsh, but the family-
migrated to Ireland at the close of the Seven-
teenth century. Dr. Robert Lewis was an emi-
nent and successful physician ; a man of pro-
found convictions ; an unswerving advocate of
human rights, and an active agent in the man-
agement of that "Underground Railroad,"
which, in the days of intense slavery agitation,
long before the Civil war — through the dark-
ness of the night and through agencies un-
known — speeded the fleeing slave from bond-
age to freedom. Because of his activity, and
practical sympathy for the slave, a reward was
offered for his apprehension and conviction.

From the earliest days Edmund W. Meisen-
helder manifested an intense love of learning.
He distinctly recalls how, as a mere child,
prone upon the floor, in front of the fire upon
the hearth, by its flickering glare, he pored over
his juvenile books. As the years rolled on his
devotion to books increased, and the longing-
for the acquisition of knowledge was intensi-
fied. Through the common schools of the
State, from grade to grade, he passed, until in
the summer of 1859 he entered the preparatory



40



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



department of Pennsylvania College, at Gettys-
burg; was admitted to the Freshman class, in
the fall of i860, and divided the Freshman
prize, for highest scholarship, with two of his
classmates. In the Junior year he took the
Hassler gold medal for proficiency in Latin
language, literature, and composition, and in
the ensuing (Senior) year was graduated at
the head of his class.

In the summer of 1863, during that invasion
of Pennsylvania which culminated in the battle
of Gettysburg, he enlisted in Company A, 26th
Pennsylvania Volunteer Militia. This com-
pany was largely made up of students from the
college and seminary, and was the first to re-
spond to Governor Curtin's "Emergency call."
In the summer of 1864, after his graduation,
"he enlisted in Company D, 210th Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was sent to the
front with his regiment. As regimental
•quartermaster sergeant, and later on as second
lieutenant of Company D, he took part in
Grant's final campaign in front of Petersburg,
and was present at the surrender of Lee's worn
and wasted battalions. With the close of the
war he was honorably discharged, and, once
more a simple citizen, took up the study of that
profession the practice of which has been his
life-work. After a full course, supplemented
by two summer courses, he was graduated from
Jefferson Medical College in the spring of 1868.
Since that time he has been actively engaged in
the practice of his profession, until the spring
of 1 87 1 with his father, and since, in York,
Pa. In all the years which have elapsed since
he entered upon his professional career he has
been active, energetic, and unselfish in the dis-
charge of its varied duties. This conscientious
devotion to his work has characterized his en-
tire life, and has brought to him large responsi-
"bilities, leaving little time indeed for rest, and
the cultivation of other fields of effort which he
loves, and for which he has a natural aptitude.
Into his life-work he has steadily endeavored
to infuse all the good that can come from the
close association of the thoughtful mind, the
feeling heart, and the helping hand. In the
broadest, noblest sense, in the medical profes-
sion, what men do for others, for humanity,
not for self, erects a monument more beautiful
than chiseled marble, more enduring than
b)rass or granite shaft — a monument wreathed
with the sweetest flowers of love and gratitude.

On Dec. 22, 1870, Dr. Edmund W. Meis-
<enhelder was united in marriage to Miss Maria



Elizabeth Baughman, daughter of Jacob B.
Baughman and Lydia (Swartz) Baughman,
of Baughmansville, York Co., Pa. To this
marriage have been born four children : Rob-
ert L., a Lutheran minister in charge of a
mission church at Harrisburg, Pa. ; Edmund
W., a graduate of Johns Hopkins Medical
School, now associated with him in practice;
Samuel B., a law student at Harvard, and
Mary E., a student at Smith College, North-
ampton, Massachusetts.

In faith, like his paternal ancestry, Dr.
Meisenhekler is a Lutheran, but absolutely de-
void of sectarian bias, and inclined to the widest
liberality of thought consistent with the car-
dinal principles of the Christian religion. In
politics he is a Republican of the most inde-
pendent type, believing that the good citizen —
law-abiding, public-spirited, patriotic, and con-
scientious — is, far and away, the superior of
the servile partisan. As becomes a soldier of
the war for the preservation of the Union, as
befits one who has coursing through his veins
the blood of a Revolu'tionary ancestry, he
scorns to own a boss, or to be a boss in turn —
to thus besmirch and belittle the glorious herit-
age "bequeathed from bleeding sire to son."
Mellowed by the observation and experience of
years, he has gathered wisdom from their les-
sons, and recognizes, in all its cogency, the
broad fact that the country is far above party,
and that no one party enjoys a monopoly of pa-
triotism, or political righteousness or of politi-
cal corruption. With the courage of his convic-
tions, and fearless in the advocacy of the
Right, he is a firm and unflinching friend of
every progressive agency, and of every reform
which is intended for the betterment of the
race. It is a far greater honor — a far nobler am-
bition — to serve under the spotless banner of
the Right, than to lead the forces of ex-
pediency, or Wrong.

For Right is Right, as God is God,

And Right the day must win;
To doubt would be disloyalty.

To falter would be sin.

HOWARD E. YOUNG, president of the
J. S. Young Company, Baltimore, Md., and
of T- S. Young & Co., Limited, Hanover and
Shrewsbury, Pa., is one of the leading manu-
facturers of the day in York county and the
city of Baltimore. He was born at Hanover,
York Co., Pa., April 20, 1856, and is a son of
the late John S. Young, who during a pros-





/ f




BIOGRAPHICAL



41



perous business career was successful also in
building up the interests of Hanover, and
became prominent and influential both in his
native town and in Baltimore.

Mr. Young obtained his preparatory edu-
cation in a private school at Hanover and a
private school at Ithaca, N. Y. Jn order to
fit himself thoroughly for the active duties of
life, he then took a business course in the city
of Philadelphia, and upon leaving school en-
tered into business with his father, in 1873
becoming a member of the firm of J. S. Young
&. Co. In 1876, upon the incorporation of the
J. S. Young Company, he was made secre-
tary of the company. At this time the J. S.
Young Company owned a large establishment
for the manufacture of bark extracts and
flavine at Hanover, and a similar establish-
ment at Shrewsbury Station, York Co., Pa.
In 1883 they founded an extensive business at
Boston and Elliott streets, Baltimore, in the
manufacture of licorice and sumac extracts,
■erecting a mill, which is one of the largest in
the country. The product of the various mills
IS distributed all over the United States, Eng-
land and Germany. They are manufacturers
of Greek and Spanish licorice paste. The
licorice root used in the mills of the company
is obtained in Russia and Turkey in Europe,
and brought to Baltimore in ship loads. The
■business is conducted on an extensive scale, a
branch office being maintained at Nos. 130-
132 Pearl street. New York.

From the very beginning of his association
with the J. S. Young Company Mr. Howard
E. Young was active and influential in the
transaction of all their affairs. At his father's
-death, in 1899, he became president of the J.
'S. Young Company, of Baltimore, and of J. S.
Young & Co., of Hanover, and has since di-
rected their steadily increasing business.

Like his father, Mr. Young has always
been deeply solicitous for the material growth
and development of his native town of Han-
over apart from his merely personal interest
in projects affecting his business. He was one
of the prime movers in the organization of the
Hanover Cordage Company, in 1890, and the
president of that concern until it was sold to
the National Cordage Company. He was
president of the Hanover Telephone Company,
which he and others organized in 1894, and
which developed into a growing and prosper-
ous corporation. When the Consumers'
Water Company of Hanover was organized in



1895, for the purpose of increasing the water
supply of the town, he became treasurer; this
company later bought out the original com-
pany, acquiring its charter, franchises and
plant, which were consolidated with their own.
Mr. Young was a director of the Baltimore &
Harrisburg branch of the Western Maryland
railroad from 1891 to 1906, was its president
from 1 901 to 1906, and is now a director of
the Maryland & Pennsylvania railroad. He is
also a director of the Mercantile Trust & De-
posit Company, of Baltimore, Maryland.

In political faith Mr. Young is a Repub-
lican, but he takes no very active part in such
matters, and has never held office with the ex-
ception of that of member of the school board,
to which position he was elected in 1885; he
served two terms as president of that board.
Mr. Young was married in 1878 to Martha,
daughter of Edward H. Etzler, a prominent
grain merchant of Hanover and Baltimore. To
them have been born three children, Edward
E., John S. and Mary C.

Edward E. Young, the eldest son of How-
ard E. Young, was educated at a private school
at Ithaca, N. Y., and at the age of nineteen
became associated with the business of the J.
S. Young Company at Hanover and Balti-
more, succeeding his father as secretary and
treasurer. His interest in and remarkable
capacity for business became evident at once,
and he was untiring in his efforts in everything
he attempted, to do, displaying traits which
qualified him for high responsibilities. He
was personally popular with all his associates,
and was highly esteemed by everyone who
knew him. After a prosperous career of only
four years, he died at Baltimore, Md., Feb. 17,
1902. John S. Young, the second son of How-
ard E. Young, obtained his education in the
public schools of Hanover, and a private school
at Ithaca, N. Y. At the death of his brother,
Edward, he took his position in the business
of the J. S. Young Company, of which he has
been both secretary and treasurer since 1902.
Mary C. Young, the only daughter, was edu-
cated in the public schools and at The Castle,
an educational institution for young ladies at
Tarrytown, New York.

The family residence, one of the hand-
somest houses in Hanover, is on Carlisle
street, being located on the same piece of
ground bought by Mr. Young's great-grand-
father, William Young, March 30, 1795, and
which was his place of residence until his



42



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



death, in 1850. This property has continued
in the family until the present time.

JOHN M. YOUNG, attorney-at-law and
director and treasurer of the Williamsport
Iron & Nail Company, was born at Middle-
town, Ohio, Aug. 30, 1845, son of William
and Eliza (Mumma) Young. His father,
William Young, a grandson of Charles Young,
who settled in the vicinity of Hanover in 1746,
was born at Hanover Jan. 11, 1803.

Early in life William Young moved to Mid-
dletown, Ohio, where he carried on an ex-
tensive business, which he continued for a
period of forty years. He was one of the rep-
resentative men of the town and county with
which he was so long identified. His wife
died at Middletown Feb. 4, 1848. In 1863
William Young retired from business and re-
turned to his native town of Hanover, where
he died Aug. 30, 1889, at the advanced age of
eighty-six years. He had a vivid recollection
of many events and incidents relating to the
early history of Hanover, and recalled them
with eager interest and greatest accuracy. Will-
iam and Eliza (Mumma) Young had five chil-
dren, three of whom died in infancy. Mary R.,
their daughter, married William A. Schreyer,
of Milton, Pa., Dec. 12, 1861. She died June
22, 1876, and her husband died Dec. 15, 1903.
They had six children, of whom two died in
infancy; Maria E. married W. R. Kramer,
now living in Williamsport, Pa. ; Rebecca Y.
is living in Milton; John Y. married Carrie
H. Smith, of Washington, D. C, has two chil-
dren, and lives in Milton; Harry H. married
Bertha Datesman, of West Milton, has two
children, and lives in Milton.

John M. Young obtained his preparatory
education in the schools of his native town
and at Hanover. He then entered Pennsyl-
vania College, at Gettysburg, and was gradu-
ated from that institution in 1865. He read
law in the office of Judge David Wills, of
Gettysburg, and completed his legal studies
at Harvard Law School. He was admitted
to the Bar at Gettysburg in 1868, and began
the practice of law in Kansas, and continued
to follow that profession at Middletown, Ohio,
and in York, Pa., until 1883. Becoming in-
terested in the manufacturing business, he
moved to Williamsport, Pa., where he resides.
Since 1884 he has been treasurer and director
of the Williamsport Iron & Nail Company,



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 8 of 201)