Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 80 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 80 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


John A. Fishel received his preliminary
education in the common schools in the neigh-
borhood, and when still a small boy started
working on a farm, engaging in this occupation
until the age of ten years, when he attended
the school at the Soldiers' Orphans' Home at
Camp Hill, and supplemented this with a course
at the State Normal School at Shippensburg,
from which he was graduated in 1889. At
the age of eighteen "years he commenced teach-
ing, and has followed that occupation up to the
present time, having taught in York, Cumber-
land and Lancaster counties.

In 1900 Mr. Fishel was elected justice of
the peace, receiving his commission from Gov-
ernor Stone, and being re-elected again in
1905, has continued to officiate in that capacity
to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. In
politics he is identified with the Democratic



party. He and his family are members of the
Bethel Church of God at Mt. Pleasant.

^Ir. Fishel married in 1893, ^^iss Jennie
Kohler, daughter of Peter Kohler, of Siddons-
burg, and to this union these children have been
born: Zedena I., Earl K., \\'ayne D., Lottie
A. and Boyd O. (who died in infancy). :\Ir.
Fishel is the owner of a small property in
Monaghan township which he devotes to fruit
:culture, raising peaches, apples, berries,- etc.
^Ir. Fishel is very popular as a man, and as an
official, and he counts his friends bv the score.

H. B. SHUTT, of Porter's Sideling, York
Co., Pa., conducts a dairy, poultry and truck
farm. He is a native of Heidelberg township,
born March 2, 1869. His father, Joseph K.
Shutt, was also born in Heidelberg township,
as was his mother, who was the daughter of
Henry K. Bowman, a lifelong resident of that
township.

H. B. Shutt was reared on his father's
farm, working for his father during the sum-
mer months, and attending the public schools
during winters, thus continuing his earlv edu-
cation until the spring sessions of 1886 and
18S7, when he attended the York County Nor-
mal school. During his school-days at Millers-
\-ille he began to play base-ball, covering iirst
base for four years, and he was elected manager
during his senior year (1893). He has played
and is acquainted throughout the State. Mr.
Shutt began teaching in the schools of ]\Ian-
heim township in 1887, at the age of eighteen
years, continuing in the same community until
twenty-one years old. He then spent two years
in Heidelberg township, and at the same time
began a course at Millersville, in the spring of
1888, and by spring sessions completed the
junior work in 1892, then taking the senior
year, being graduated from the institution in
1893. After graduation he was elected to the
principalship of the Seven Valley borough
schools, which position he held for five vears,
until elected to the Legislature, by the Demo-
cratic party, in 1898, when twenty-nine years
old. He received the highest vote cast for any
candidate on the ticket that year. In 1900 he
was renominated for the Legislature on the
first ballot, and again led his ticket in votes
cast. Between the two terms of Legislature he
served one year as principal of the Jefferson
borough public schools.

After his Legislative work was o\'er, 'Sir.



4i8



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Shutt went to farming, at the same time acting
as assistant principal of the Codorus township
High school. He later took up teaching in his
native township, and conducts a dairy, poultry
and truck farm in connection. Mr. Shutt is
also contrihuting to several farm journals.

ABRAHAM BARE SPRENKLE is a
wealthy miller and farmer of Hellam town-
.ship. He is a native of York county, where
for generations his forefathers have been pros-
perous millers and farmers.

The emigrant ancestor of the Sprenkle
family was Peter Sprenkle (great-grandfather
of Abraham B. ), who came from Switzerland
and settled at Grajd^ill's Station, now in West
Manchester township, York county. He ac-
quired a tract of 600 acres or more of land,
which descended to his heirs. He was a soldier
in the Revolutionary army. His son, Peter
(2) inherited a portion of his estate, and was
all his life engaged in the family calling of
milling and farming. George, a brother of
Peter (2), settled in West Manchester town-
-ship, and his grandson, Albert, is the present
owner of the original farm on which the emi-
grant Peter settled. Daniel, another brother
of Peter (2), also located in West Manchester
township between Bare's creek and Graybill's
station.

Peter Sprenkle (2) married, and his chil-
dren were: George, father of Abraham Bare;
and Peter, a farmer. Peter Sprenkle (2) was
a Whig in politics, and held the office of school
director and other township positions. He and
his wife were members of the Mennonite
Church.

George Sprenkle, father of Abraham Bare,
was born on the old homestead in 1803. He
received a good education in the neighborhood
subscription schools, and learned the miller's
trade with his father. He followed the fam-
ily calling of milling and farming, and was so
engaged to the time of his death, in 1857.
His wife, Elizabeth Bare, born Oct. 24, 1808,
near Bare's Meeting House, was a daughter
of John and Polly (Erb) Bare. Her. grand-
father Erb was a soldier in the Revolutionary
army. After his marriage George Sprenkle
made his home on the mill property at the
homestead which he inherited from his father.
He was a strong, powerfully built man, and
led a very active life. In politics he was a



Whig. He and his wife were members and
active workers in the Mennonite Church. They
are buried in the cemetery at Bare's Meeting
House. They had five children, as follows :
Lydia, who died in 1902, unmarried; David,
who lives at Menges Station, unmarried;
Peter, who lives in Philadelphia, married
(first) to Rebecca Fishel, and (second) to
Mrs. Plymyer, of York; Emanuel, who mar-
ried a Miss Hoke, of Jackson township, and is
a farmer at Menges Station ; and Abraham
Bare, who is mentioned below.

On Oct. 2, 1846, Abraham Bare Sprenkle
was born in North Codorus township, York
county, on the old family place. His educa-
tion was obtained in the district schools of the
township, where his first teacher was Jacob
Alding-er, and he finished his studies under
Peter K. Myers, at the age of eighteen. In
his boyhood he w'orked on his father's farm,
and in the mill, and learned the milling busi-
ness in the home mill. He was only nine years
old when his father died, but the mother kept
her family about her in the home, until they
were all grown. At the age of twenty-two Mr.
Sprenkle left home and became miller for Jo-
seph Strickler, whose daughter, Matilda, he
married, Sept. 23, 1873. On the death of his
father-in-law' he took entire charge of the mill
property, which his wife inherited, and has re-
mained on the place ever since. He has made
many improvements, including the erection of
a sawmill, cider press, and tobacco shed. He
has also put in a forty-barrel roller-process
mill. His farm consists of ninety-six acres of
fine land.

Mrs. Matilda (Strickler) Sprenkle was
born May 4, 1848, in the same house in which
she now lives, and where her w'hole life has
been spent. Her father, Joseph, was also born
on the old place, Jan. 8, 1813, and became a
farmer and miller. He inherited the farm and
mill property from his father, John Strickler.
Joseph Strickler married Rebecca Green, and
their only child w-as Alatilda, who became Mrs.
Sprenkle. Mrs. Strickler died in 1852, and
her husband lived until 1891. They were
Dunkards in religious faith.

Mr. and Mrs. Sprenkle have three children :
(i) Edward O., who lives at home, and car-
ries on the flour mill for his father, married
Alice Kohr, and has two' children. Jeannette
and Daniel Eldred. (2) Irma Lucretia, and



BIOGRAPHICAL



419



( 3 ) Laura I., are at home. Mr. Sprenkle is
a Republican in politics. He is not a church
member, but attends the Dunkard services.

HENRY REESER,, retired farmer and
business man, residing at York Haven, was
born in Manchester borough, then called Liver-
pool, in February, 1829, son of William and
Elizabeth (Shelly) Reeser, whose children
were : John, Mary, William, Elizabeth. Sarah,
Susan, z\lexander, Henry and George. His
grandfather came from Germany and first set-
tled in Berks county sometime before the Rev-
olution, crossed the Susquehanna and pur-
chased a tract of land in the present area of
Conewago township.

William Reeser, father of the subject of
this biography, was born in Conewago town-
ship. In December, 1814, he purchased a tract
of land, laid it out into lots and founded the
town of Liverpool, which, when incorporated,
was named Manchester borough. At the age
of twenty-two William Reeser married Eliza-
beth Shelley, whose ancestors were prominent
and influential in the affairs of York and
Dauphin counties, among the rich agricultural
land below Goldsboro and the islands in the
river near that town, \\nien William Reeser
purchased this tract of land there were only
three houses in the vicinit}^ He erected a large
brick house at the cost of $5,000, and his town
soon began to grow and prosper. It was in
this village that Henry Reeser attended the
public schools and grew to manhood. Earl)^
in life he married Eliza, daughter of Samuel
and Elizabeth (Fortenbaugh) Burger. They
had six children : William, Joseph, Susan,
John, David and Henry. After his marriage,
Mr. Reeser engaged in farming in Newberry
township and prospered in that occupation.
His first wife died in middle age, and he was
married (second) to Mar}^ daughter of Daniel
and Alary (Nicholas) Hoopes. and widow of
Jacob Test. The children of this marriage
are : Hiram, Morris and Bertha.

Mr. Reeser continued the business of farm-
ing for a period of thirty j^ears or more and
then took up his residence as a retired citizen
in his native town of Manchester. When York
Haven began to prosper, he removed to that
borough, where he has since lived as one of the
most highly respected and honored citizens.

During the Civil war ]\Ir. Reeser enlisted
as a soldier in the 200th P. A'. I., and served



in that command until the end of the war. He
has always taken an active interest in the af-
fairs of the United Brethren Church, of which
he has been a member since his early manhood.
He is a man of excellent habits and exemplary
conduct, widely known and popular among his
friends and associates.

FETROW FAMILY. Among the many
prosperous families who make up the agricul-
tural class in York county none is better known
than the Fetrow family, members of which are
to be found in Fairview and Newberry town-
ships, where the name has been known for four
generations. The family is of German origin,
and the first to come to America was Samuel,
great-grandfather of Samuel, Jacob and John
Fetrow. On arriving in the New \\'orld Sam-
uel Fetrow settled in Fairview township and
devoted himself to farming. His son John
was born there and on reaching manhood mar-
ried a Miss Yinger. He also was a farmer.
John Fetrow died June 6, i860, aged seventy-
seven years, seven months, fifteen days, and
both he and his wife are buried in the Fetrow
cemetery, near Yocumtown.

John Fetrow (2), born in 1808 in Fairview
township, was an only child. He attended the
public schools of Fairview township, and after
his marriage located in that section perma-
nently. He married Lydia Brubaker, daughter
of Conrad and Elizabeth (Ziegler) Brubaker.
She was born in 1816 and died Jan. 20, 1889,
aged seventy-two years, nine months, six days.
Mr. Fetrow was a large landowner, having
about 700 acres of fine land. His death oc-
curred July 25, 1888, at the age of eighty years,
three months, twenty-nine days, and" he is
buried in the family graveyard. The children
born to this worthy couple were as follows:
Samuel; Nancy, Mrs. Mathias Eicholtz. of
Kansas; Jacob; Amburg. born Nov. 14. 1837,
deceased June 6. 1877; Elizabeth, widow of
Ephraim ]\liller ; John ; Henry, of Yocumtown,
who married Sarah Ann Prowell. and \\'illiam,
deceased at the age of fifteen years.

Samuel Fetrow was born March 5, 1832,
in Fairview township. He attended the pub-
lic schools until eighteen years of age and re-
mained at home until his marriage to Caroline
\\'entz. daughter of George and Catherine
(Gross) AA'entz. of York county. At that time
he came to Newberry township and engaged in
farming, in conjunction with which he engaged



420



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



in milling for fifteen years at his father's old
place of business. In 1890 he removed to
Yocumtown, where he has since lived in retire-
ment. Mr. Fetrow is highly respected in the
community for his many sterling traits of char-
acter. He has been very successful, has ac-
quired a handsome competency, and has now
retired to enjoy the fruits of his early labor.
Mrs. Fetrow died in 1900 and is buried at the
well known Fetrow cemetery in Newberry
township. Mr. and Mrs. Fetrow had children
as follows : Lydia, who married Jacob Kilmore
(both are deceased,) ; Nancy, deceased, who
married Wilfred Hoffstadt; Abram, who
died at the age of twelve years, and John, of
York Haven, married to Maggie Good. In
politics Mr. Fetrow is a Republican, but has
never accepted office.

Jacob Fetrow was born in Fairview town7
ship, Nov. 14, 1835. He received his educa-
tion in the schools of Fairview township, at-
tending school until about seventeen years of
age, and assisting his father on the farm until
his marrieg. In 1869 he married Evaline Ep-
pley, born Jan. 8, 1845, daughter of William
and Sidney (Hays) Eppley, and after mar-
riage located in Fairview township for two
years. He then settled in Newberry township
on one of the paternal farms, to which he fell
heir at the time of his father's death. Mr.
Fetrow lives on a small tract of about twenty
acres, but owns a fine farm of 125 acres in the
township. The children born to Mr. and Mrs.
Fetrow were : Lucetta, died at the age of eight-
een years : William Grant, married Semertha
Shettle, and lives in Yocumtown, and Robert
J., resides at home. Mr. Fetrow is a Republi-
can in political sympathy, but has never aspired
to office. He is a man of integrity and is very
highly respected in the community.

John Fetrow was born July 28, 1843, ™
Fairview township, on the old homestead where
he now resides and of which his grandfather
was the original owner. He attended the pub-
lic schools until about eighteen years of age and
assisted his father on the farm. In 1886 he
married Sarah Prowell, daughter of James B.
and Susan (Wilt) Prowell. Mr. Prowell died
Oct. 8, 1896, while his wife passed away Sept.
8, 1856, and both are buried at the Salem
church, in Fairview township. The following
children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Prowell :
Catherine, George, Mary, Julia, John, Eliza
Jane, Sarah, Flarry, Lydia and Charles. After



their marriage Air. and iNIrs. Fetrow located
on the old homestead upon which Mr. Fetrow
was born, and there he engaged in ' farming
and made many improvements. He is now
considered one of the substantial men of the
township and is the owner of several fine farms.
Two children were born to him and his worthy
wife : \Villiam G. married Alda Wood ; they
follow farming at the old home, and have chil-
dren — Sallie A'latilda, John S., and Mary Eliza-
beth. Cecelia G., who married Wjlliam B.
Fisher, resides on Mr. Fetrow's farm in Fair-
view township, and has these childrai — Grace
Viola, Ruth Sarah and Helen Catherine.

Mr. Fetrow is a Republican, and he has
served on the election board. Mrs. Fetrow is
a member of the U. B. Church. In financial
circles Mr. Fetrow is a prominent figure, be-
ing treasurer and a director of the Fairview
Mutual Fire Insurance Company, both of
which offices he has held for ten years. The
barn that stands upon Mr. Fetrow's farm in
Fairview township was erected in 1818 by his
grandfather, who also built a distillery, the
latter building also remaining standing at this
date.

REV. JOSEPH D. SMITH was born May
30, 1828, in County Londonderry, Ireland, and
accompanied his parents to America in 1847,
landing at Philadelphia, where the family re-
sided for thirty years. The father, David
Smith, died in i860, at the age of sixty-five
3'ears. In 1872 his wife came to reside with
her son, Joseph D., where she died in June,
1882, at the ripe old age of ninety years. To
this emigrant couple four children were born :
Joseph D., who is the eldest; William, who died
in Des Moines, Iowa ; David, residing at Edge-
water Park, N. J.; and Martha J., who resides
with Joseph D.

Joseph D. Smith was partly educated in Ire-
land, and after coming to America, attended
the preparatory department of the Freshman
class at Danville, Ky. In 1853 he entered Jef-
ferson College, at Canonsburg, Pa., and after
graduating there took a theological coiu"se at
Princeton. He was licensed to preach in 1859
by the Presbytery of Philadelphia, and a year
later located in York county and assumed the
pastorate of Slate Ridge Presbyterian Church,
resigning in 1890, after having ably filled the
position for thirty years. He had previously
purchased a tract of land adjoining the old



BIOGRAPHICAL



421



church property and after his retirement
erected a residence on a knoll, overlooking the
borough of Delta, where he has since resided.
He still preaches in various Presbyterian
churches of York county, when called upon by
the people to whom he has endeared himself
both by his eloquence and earnestness in the
pulpit, and his zealous advocacy of everything
tending to the benefit of the community and
the elevation of morality. In addition to his
ministerial duties he has prepared students for
college. Mr. Smith is unmarried and resides
with his sister.

JACOB HOLTZAPPLE, a retired farmer
living in West Manchester township, comes
from one of the old and respected families of
York county, where for several generations his
people have been agriculturists.

Barnhart Holtzapple, paternal grandfather
of Jacob, was born in Germany, but came to
America and settled in York (jounty. Pa.,
where he owned a tract in West Manchester
township which comprised 250 acres of good
farming land. There the rest of his life was
spent, and, dying, he was buried in York. He
was a member of the First Lutheran Church
of York, which he had assisted in building.
He was the father of three children, George,
Philip and Jacob.

Jacob Holtzapple, son of Barnhart, Avas
born on the York county farm Sept. 10, 1785,
and was a farmer like his father, owning a
place of 102 acres. He married Miss Eliza-
beth Ei,senhart, born April 3, 1791, and their
wedded life was ended by her death, Feb. 8,
1846. He survived until Aug. 13, 1849, ^"d
both are buried at Louck's schoolhouse, in \A'est
Manchester township. They were the parents
of twelve children, born as follows : Peter, July
18, 1814, died at the age of nine; Sarah, Nov.
2, 181 5, married Philip Ouigle, and died in
West Manchester township; Adam, Nov. 10,
1816, lives on West Market street, York;
George, Nov. 30, 1817, married Miss Sarah
Klinedinst, and died in 1846; Anna Maria,
Sept. 29, 1819, married Samuel Lephart, and
her demise occurred in Dover township ; i\Iar-
garet, July 13, 1821. died in Dover township,
the wife of Philip Gross; Leah, Oct. 25, 1822,
Mrs. Nathaniel Hoffheins, died in Adams
county, Pa. ; Jacob is mentioned below ;
Michael, July 13, i826,' of West ^^lanchester



township, married Miss Susan Lau ; Emanuel,
March 25, 1828, died in 1846, unmarried;
Henry, Jan. 9, 1830, married Miss Katie
Reikert, and resides on Philadelphia street,
York; Catherine, Feb. 13, 1832, is the wife of
Reuben Kain, of Kansas.

Jacob Holtzapple (2) was born on the
homestead April 24, 1824. Until he was four-
teen years old he attended school, receiving in-
struction in the public schools of West Man-
chester township, and of Weigelstown, Dover
township. In the latter locality he also learned
shoemaking, which he followed for five years,
after which he returned to the old home and
engaged in farming. For twenty-five years
he remained there, but at the end of that time
he took Daniel Heckert's place, in the same
township, farmed it for seven years, and then
moved to Jackson township, where he stayed
five years. His next move was to West Man-
chester township again, where he lived on J.
Z. Hildebrand's farm two years, and he then
bought his present home, where he has put up
all the buildings now in use there. Since 1887
he has lived retired from active work on the
farm.

Mr. Holtzapple has been twice married.
His first wife. Miss Maria Kain, died in 1857,
and was buried in West Manchester township.
She bore her husband six children, as follows :
Amanda, who became Mrs. Daniel Sowers, of
Adams county; Elizabeth and Emanuel, both
deceased ; Manassus, of Dover township, who
married Aliss Melinda Deisinger; William and
Ann ]\Iaria, both deceased. The second wife,
to whom Mr. Holtzapple was united on Sept.
24, 1857, was Miss Leah Fackler, born July
13, 1 83 1. She was the daughter of Daniel
and Mary (Leckrone) Fackler, both of whom
belonged to old county families. They died
some years ago in York county. Leah ( Fack-
ler) Holtzapple was the mother of twelve chil-
dren, namely: Sarah, who is at home; George,
of West Manchester township, married to Miss
Sallie Leppo ; Ella, wife of Edward Witman, of
Thomasville, Pa. ; Jacob, Jr., a machinist in
York, who married Miss Ellen Stouch ; Mary,
wife of Henry Eberly, of West Manchester
township ; Alice, Mrs. John Julius, of the
same section; Robert, who married !Miss Annie
Fink, and lives in Conewago township; !Marga-
ret. wife of Peter Bentzel, of \^'est ^Manchester
township ; Lizzie, who married Edward X'ei-



422



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANL\



n-n. of Conewago, now deceased; Carrie, ^Irs.
Charles Klinedinst, of Manchester township;
Louis, unmarried, who manages the farm for
his father; and John, a cigarmaker in York,
who married Miss Carrie Eisenhart.

Mr. Holtzapple is well-known in the town-
ship, and is much esteemed. He is a member
of Neiman's Lutheran Church, in which he
takes an active part, while his political affilia-
tions are with the Democratic part}'.

EDWARD H. SNYDER. Li the de-
velopment of a country's material resources it
often happens that men, who under other condi-
tions would have been students, are led into ac-
tive, energetic business careers. Edward H.
Snyder of Hanover, is the son of a native of
Maryland, who possessed both taste and apti-
tude for a scholar's career, and who, in his
early life was for many years a teacher in the
public schools, but who later became a success-
ful brick manufacturer and prosperous farmer,
sacrificing his natural tastes to the opportunities
which presented themselves in the community
in which he lived, and, with his natural energy
of character, making a complete success of his
business undertakings. A similar experience
may be traced in the career of his son Ed-
ward H.

The paternal grandfather of the latter was
Henry Snyder, a native of Mar3dand. His
son, Daniel, father of Edward H., was born in
Washington county, Md., Aug. i6, 1807. He
married Elizabeth Henderson, who was born in
Berwick, Adams county. Pa., in 1812, the
daughter of William Henderson, a prominent
manufacturer of woolen goods, and a soldier
in the War of 18 12. He died in Pittsburg, Pa.
To Daniel and Elizabeth Snyder were born
eleven children, of whom ten lived to adult age,
namely : Sophia, who married Jacob Garrett ;
Susan, widow of Philip Wolf¥ ; Levi, of Darke
county, Ohio; William L., of Pittsburg; Daniel
J., a resident of Cincinnati, Ohio; Mary Ann,
widow of Plenry Gressley; Eli, who resides in
Baltimore ; John, a resident of the West ; Millie,
who married Thomas Cross; and Edward H.,
whose sketch follows. The father was widely
known for his ability as a teacher, for his suc-
cess as a manufacturer and for his sagacious
management of a well tilled farm. He died in
1889, his wife survi\-ing him until April 19,
1900.



Edward H. Snyder was born near Abbotts-
town, Adams Co., Pa., Nov. 8, 1834. He re-
ceived his education in the public and private
schools of York county. He learned the iron
moulder's trade, which he followed until 1884,
at intervals being also engaged in the manufac-
ture ot brick, after which he returned to Han-
over. In 1879 ^J^i"- Snyder established a brick-
yard in the southeastern part of that place and
there engaged actively in the manufacture of
building brick, the product of his yard being of



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 80 of 201)