Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 81 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 81 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


a superior cjuality. for which there has been a
large local demand, the trade even overflowing
to a number of neighboring towns and cities.
During the busy season of the year he employs
between twenty and twent}'-fi^'e men and he
conducts the industry for about eight months in
the year. In 1903 he added considerable ma-
chinery to the plant, the output of the yard con-
sisting of building and paving brick.

Under the first call of President Lincoln
for 75,000 men for three-months' service," in
April, 1861, Mr. Snyder enlisted in Company
G, 1 6th P. V. I. Returning to Hanover at
the expiration of his service, he married
Anna Mary Smaling, who was born near Mt.
Joy, Lancaster county. Pa., Feb. 17, 1838,
daug-hter of George and Catherine (Kohler)
Smaling. To Edward H. and Anna Mary Sny-
der have come four children, namely : Mary E.,
deceased ; A. Bertha, wife of Lawson Emmert,
of Pittsburg; William, of Pittsburg; and Ed-
ward H., Jr., at home, the partner of his father
in the manufacture of brick. Edward H., Jr.,
married Edith Fridinger, and to them have been
born five children, as follows: Cecelia, Ed-
ward, Annie, William, and Isabel. Mr. and
Mrs. Snyder have ten grandchildren. Mr.
Snyder is a member of Major Jenkins Post, No.
99, G. A. R. He is one of the substantial and
enterprising men of Hanover whose life-work
has contributed largely to the upbuilding of the
city.

ADEN BLiSER is a representative of one
of York county's old and well-known families.
He is engaged in the manufacture of cigar
bo.xes at Longstown, York township, and is
one of the popular and public-spirited citizens
of that section of the county.

]\Ir. Buser was born on the homestead farm
in York township, Dec. 21, 1854, and was there
reared to the age of. twenty-one years. He is



BIOGRAPHICAL



42 J.



a son of Jacob and Deborah (Fitz) Buser, both
of whom were born and reared in York county.
The latter died when Aden was but twelve
years of age and his father later married ]\Iiss
Louisa Landis, whose death occurred in 1904.
Jacob Buser was a carpenter by trade, and for a
number of years was actively engaged in con-
tracting and building, while later he turned his
attention tO' the manufacture of cigar boxes,
building up a profitable enterprise and also
owning and operating the farm on which Mr.
Buser was born. He was a stalwart Democrat
in politics, was a man of alert mentality and
broad information and wielded no little in-
fluence in local afifairs, while his inflexible in-
tegrity and straightforward business policy
gained for him the uncjualified respect of all
with whom he was associated. He died, in
Springetsbury township, in 1902, at the age of
seventj'-six years. His first wife was a mem-
ber of the Dunkard Church, and he and his
second wife were connected with the Lutheran
Church.

Aden Buser was reared on the home farm
and early began to assist in its cultivation, while
he continued to attend the local schools from
two to four months each year until he had
reached his legal majority, so that he gained a
good practical education and was duly fortified
for the practical duties and responsibilities of
life. Lender the direction of his father he
served a thorough apprenticeship at the carpen-
ter's trade, becoming a skilled artisan in that
line and continuing to follow his trade until he
was twenty-five years of age, when he located
in Long'stown and engag'ed in the manufactur-
ing of cigar boxes. He had there purchased an
acre of ground, upon which was a small dwell-
ing, and there he inaugurated his enterprise,
beginning operations by establishing a shop in
the basement of his house and for some time
working alone. He finally secured John S.
Flory as an assistant, and it is pleasing to note
that this gentleman is still enrolled as his em-
ployee. In 1884 ]\Ir. Buser disposed of the
property mentioned and removed to what was
known as the Freeze place, in York town-
ship, where he continued to carry on his
manufactory for the ensuing two years, Avhen
he purchased his present property from Jo-
seph Kaufi^man, the improvements consisting
of a commodious building utilized as a store
and box factory. On the 18th of Aug., 1901,



the property was destroyed b}- fire, and shortly
afterward i\Ir. Buser completed the erection of
his present store and factory building on the
same site, the building being" 28x28 feet in di-
mensions and two stories in height. He pur-
chased his present residence property — an acre
of land and a good house — from George Howe.
In the box factory he gives employment to an
a\-erage force of ten skilled hands. He has
met with marked success, being known as one
of the reliable and public-spirited citizens and
business men of York township, where his
friends are coextensive with his accpiaintances.
In politics he gives his allegiance to the Demo-
cratic party.

On Oct. 15, 1876, ]klr. Buser was united
m marriage to Miss Priscilla Ann Lefe\-er.
who was born and reared in this county, being
a daughter of ^Vi^iam and Susan (Irwin) Le-
fever, and of the children of this union are
recorded these facts: Ida May is the wife of
Frank Gale, of AVindsor township; Emma
Jane. Cora Deborah. Mary Ann and Gro\-er
Cleveland remain at home: Susan is deceased:
and Beulah and Emory Ouintin are the vounger
members of the family circle.

ELMER E. BRUXXER, postmaster at
York Haven and president of the York Haven
Canning Company, was born in 1869, in X'ew-
berry township, son of Peter \[. and Leah
(Fink) Brunner.

Peter Brunner, his grandfather, was a na-
tive of Lancaster county, where he engaged in
farming. He came to York county and settled
in Conewago township, where he took up a tract
of land, later removing to East Manchester
township, and finally to X'ewberry township,
where he followed farming until his death, in
his sixty-fifth year.

Peter M. Brunner, the father of Elmer E..
was born in 1842 in Conewago township,
where he received a common school education,
and followed agricultural pursuits. In 1868 he
married Leah Fink, daughter of John anti
Elizabeth (Lynn) Fink, of York county, and
afterward was for a time a farmer in Fairview
township. He then removed to X'ewberry
township, later going to Hill Island, Dauphin
county, where he remained for twelve years,
but finally returned to X'ewberry township,
where his death occurred in 1902, and which is
his burial place. Mrs. Brunner is living in



4-24



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Xewberrv township, aged sixty-one. The chil-
dren born to tliis wortliy couple were : Elmer
E. : Jennie ; Amelia, died at the age of eight
years ; Arthur and Herbert S.

Elmer E. Brunner attended the public
schools until he was seventeen years of age.
and then was a student at a summer school at
Goldsboro. For a time he was a teacher, and
then, in 1891-93, attended school at Millers-
A'ille, completing the junior year at that insti-
tution. ^Ir. Brunner has taught school in Lan-
caster county, but most of his time has been
spent in York county, where he has a high repu-
tation as an educator, his entire experience
covering fourteen terms. For three years of
this period he was principal of the York Ha-
ven' High School.

Politically j\Ir. Brunner is a Republican and
in 1902 was appointed postmaster at York
Haven, which position has been filled very
efficiently. He has been called upon to fill
various offices, and in every case has given the
highest satisfaction. He has held the office of
chief burgess, has been councilman, president
of the council for four years, and has occupied
minor offices. Mr. Brunner is president of the
York Haven Canning Company, one of the
largest industries in the county; also secretary
of the Consumers' Box Board & Paper Co. of
Lititz, Pa. : director in the York & Windsor
Electric Light Company, the Western Develop-
ment Company, the People's Electric Light
Company of Lebanon, and the Womelsdorf &
Myerstown Electric Light Company.

In 1897 ^Ir. Brunner married Susie E.
Fisher, daughter of John and Martha (Miller)
Fisher, of York county, and one child has been
born to this union, John F. Both as a public
official and honest and upright, public-spirited
citizen, he enjoys a wide acquaintance and is
held in much esteem in the community.

CAPT. JACOB LEITHISER, who is the
owner of one of the fine farms of York county,
has passed practically his entire life here and
is a scion of one of the honored pioneer fam-
ilies of this section of the state. He is one of
the representative citizens of Lower Windsor
township and is specially well entitled to con-
sideration in a publication of the province as-
signed to the one at hand.

Capt. Leithiser was born on the farm which
he now owns and occupies, in Lower ^Vindsor



township, and known as the Henry Ruby farm,
the date of his nativity being Jan. 28, 1848.
He received his early education in what was
known as the Kline school, and among his
early instructors there was Henry Kellar. La-
ter he continued his studies in the Benson
school, under the regime of William Miller,
and here he finished his technical school work
when but fifteen years of age. When he was
twelve years of age his parents resided at Long-
level, and his father hired him out to a Mr.
Crum, -who operated a canal-boat, the duties
of our subject being to drive the somewhat de-
jected mules which furnished motive power for
the boat. For five years he was thus engaged
in following the towpath between Havre de
Grace and Lock Haven, and he then assumed
the dignified position of first mate, in which
capacity he served on various canal-boats.
Later he became a captain and finally the owner
of boats, continuing to operate on the Penn-
sylvania canal for a period of twelve years, and
having in the connection run his boats to New
York city, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and to dif-
ferent points up the Hudson river.

In 1864, while employed on the canal, Ja-
cob Leithiser ran away from his captain and
made his way, barefooted, to Harrisburg,
where, on the 22d of July, he enlisted, becom-
ing a private in Company K, 195th P. V. I., in
the one hundred days' service ; William D. Rit-
zel, of Lancaster county, was captain of his
company, while the regiment was commanded
by Col. Fisher, of Columbia. He participated
in the spirited engagement at Alonocacy Junc-
tion, and at the expiration of his term of en-
listment received his honorable discharge, at
Harrisburg. At Monocacy Junction, however,
Jacob Leithiser had re-enlisted for one year,
but he received his final discharge in Novem-
ber, 1864.

After the close of his military career our
subject again resumed work on the canal, con-
tinuing to be actively identified with this line
of enterprise until 1887, when he disposed of
his boat a'nd retired permanently from the busi-
ness with which he had been so intimately as-
sociated from his boyhood days. Thereafter he
was for eight years employed in a clerical ca-
pacity at the lumber yards of Olewiler & Gil-
bert, at Longlevel, being thus engaged until his
election to the office of county commissioner, of
which he was incumbent during the years 1894,




^■



/




BIOGRAPHICAL



425



1895 ^"d 1896. In 1896 he purchased tlie old
farm on which he was born, the same compris-
ing fifty acres, while the place is most attrac-
tively located on the Susquehanna river. In
1873 the Captain erected his present beautiful
residence, on the banks of the river, and this
fine home is a center of gracious and generous
hospitality. After retiring from the office of
county commissioner the Captain served one
and one-half years as president and manager of
the Fairview Milling Company, in Columbia,
the property being sold to the syndicate about
1898. He then returned to his home in Lower
Windsor and was soon afterward elected man-
ager of the Wrightsville & Chanceford Turn-
pike Company, in which capacity he is still ren-
dering most efficient service. In 1892 he was
elected a member of the directorate of the
Lower Windsor Fire Insurance Company. He
served six years as a member of the board of
education, and within this period was honored
Avith preferment as president and secretary of
the board, at dififerent times. In politics he
accords a stalwart allegiance to the Republican
party, and he has ever been recognized as a
loyal and public-spirited citizen.

In 1876 the Captain became a member of
the United Evangelical Church at Longlevel,
in which he has served in various official posi-
tions, ha\'ing been an elder for many years and
also superintendent of the Sunday-school. He
is affiliated with Lieut. R. W. Smith Post, No.
270, G. A. R., at Wrightsville, and with Au-
rora Lodge, Jr. O. U. A. M., at East Prospect.
He is well known throughout this section and
is held in unequivocal confidence and esteem in
the county of his birth.

In Lower Windsor township, on Feb. 10,
1867, Capt. Leithiser was united in marriage to
Miss Wilhelmina Silar, a daughter of George
W. and Martha (Gilbert) Silar, both of whom
are now deceased. Capt. and Mrs. Leithiser
have no children of their own. Their adopted
daughter, Anna Lyman, is now the wife of Ir-
ving Kline, of York.

In conclusion we will touch briefly upon
the genealogical record of our honored sub-
ject. His father, Hartman Leithiser, was born
in Columbia, Lancaster Co., Pa., in 1824, and
for many years followed the work of the canal
and river, having been renowned locally as a
successful fisherman. He made his home at
Longlevel for manv vears, but is now residing



at Havre de Grace, Md. His wife, whose
maiden name was Salome Ruby, was born and
reared on the farm now owned and occupied
by our subject, whose maternal grandfather,
Henry Ruby, was a prominent and influential
farmer of this section. The mother of the Cap-
tain died Nov. 28, 1866, at Longlevel. Of her
children we of¥er the following brief record :
George W., who married Miss Mary Kise, is
captain of the ferryboat "Mary," at Wrights-
ville; Jacob is the immediate subject of this
sketch ; Henry, who married Miss Mary Stern,
resides in Columbia, Lancaster county; Isaac
married Miss Kate Bayard and resides at
Havre de Grace, Md. ; Nathaniel is an engi-
neer on the Pennsylvania railroad and resides
in Columbia (the maiden name of his wife was
Elizabeth Houseseal) ; seven children died in
childhood.

Isaac Leithiser, grandfather of the Captain,
died in Baltimore, Md., about 1862, having
been for many years engaged in the hotel busi-
ness in that city, while he also followed mari-
time enterprises to a considerable extent. The
original progenitors in America came from
Germany in the colonial era and it is supposed
that representatives were numbered among the
early settlers near the present city of Columbia,
Lancaster Co., this State.

CAPT. DAVID ALBERT MILLER,
agent for land-clearing machinery, wire fenc-
ing, etc., proprietor of "Grape Lawn Farm,"
and a survivor of the great Civil war, is now
living retired at his beautiful home, "Mt.
Pleasant Arbor" in East Hopewell township.
He was born at the home farm at Mt. Pleasant,
March 19, 1847.

John Miller, the grandfather of the Captain,
was born and reared in Hopewell township,
where he married Elizabeth Trout,' an aunt of
Valentine Trout, of Chanceford township.
Both Mr. Miller and his wife died in what is
now old Hopewell township, leaving these chil-
dren : Polly, Mrs. James Anderson, died in
East Hopewell township; .Abraham was the
father of David A.; Elizabeth, Mrs. Robert
Mafi'ett, died in Illinois; Anne, Mrs. Ambrose
McGuigan, died in East Hopewell township;
Samuel, who died in Monkton, Baltimore Co.,
Md., married Mary Howard; John, who died in
Baltimore county. ]\Id., married Mary Hyson;
Valentine Trout, a farmer of East Hopewell



426



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



township, married Louisa Grim ; Henry died in
this township; David, a farmer of East Hope-
well township, married Sarah Winemiller ; and
Margaret is Mrs. John Hyson, of East Hope-
well township.

Abraham JNIiller was born in Hopewell
township, and grew to manhood there, receiving
a common school education. He learned the
blacksmith's trade, making this occupation his
life-work. He settled on a 230-acre farm at
Mt. Pleasant, where he died in 1882, aged
eighty-two years, and he was buried at Mt.
Pleasant cemetery, and had been a member of
the Cross Roads ^I. E. Church. In politics he
was first a Know-Nothing, then a Whig, later
an Abolitionist, and finally a Republican. He
served in the capacity of school director and
also in other oi^ces. Mr. Miller married Pris-
cilla Howard, born in Baltimore county, Md.,
daughter of Henry Howard, whose parents
came from England. His wife died on the
home farm in 1872. She had these children:
Henry Howard is deceased; John W., who
served with credit in the 209th P. V. I., as a
private of Company B, married Mary M. Her-
shinger ; Mary E. is Mrs. John S. Rechard of
York; Isaiah H., when only seventeen years
old, was killed in the battle of Antietam, Sept.
17, 1862, being a private of Company C, 130th
P. V. I.: David Albert; and Abraham C, of
York, married Rachel Ann Williams.

David Albert Miller attended the common
school, irregularly, until his fifteenth year and
worked on the home farm until a year later.
He then enlisted as a musician in Company C,
130th P. V. I., Capt. J. S. Jenkins, Col. Henry
I. Zinn, of Mechanicsburg, Pa. He held a
commission as captain under Governor Cur-
tin, but thinking that his youth would be
against him, refused the commission. His en-
listment occurred Aug. 6, 1862, for nine
months, and he served his term, being honor-
ably discharged at Harrisburg, Pa., May 21,
1863. He took part in the battles of South
Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg arid
Chancellorsville, was in Eurnside's March, and
was w-ounded nine times by pieces of shell and
shot, persistently remaining with his regiment
and refusing to go to the hospital. He re-en-
listed Aug. 30, 1864, in Company B, 209th
Reg. P. V. I., Captain H. W. Spangler, Col.
T. B. Kauffman, for the term of one year, or
during the war. Being very proficient with the



fife he again enlisted as a musician, and was
with the Second Brigade, Third Division, Army
of the Potomac. He was engaged in Pickett's
great charge at Bermuda Hundred, Sept. 6,
1864; Preble's farm, Va., Sept. 30, 1864;
Hatcher's Run, Oct. 27, 1864; on a three-days'
raid, Dec. 9 to Dec. 12, in North Carolina; and
then Fort Steadman, March 25, 1865. He was
at the fall of Petersburg, from the ist to the
3rd of April, and at Lee's surrender, Appomat-
tox, April 9, 1865. He was honorably dis-
charged May 31, 1865, at Alexandria, Va., by
reason of orders issued from the W^ar Depart-
ment.

After the close of the war Captain Miller
returned to his father's home, and at the age of
twenty-one years commenced the teaching of
vocal and instrumental music, intending to
make of it a life work, but his health had been
so impaired by exposure and wounds received
during the war that he hesitated to assume a
career involving such labor. In his nineteenth
year, Nov. 16, 1865, he married Miss Sarah
Jane Fishel, of East Hopewell township, daugh-
ter of David and Agnes (McDowell) Fishel.
Afterward he remained at home, after the
death of his father, purchasing the homestead,
upon which he resided until March i, 1905,
when he removed to his new home, erecting a
beautiful residence.

Captain Miller is a fascinating talker, being
greatly interested in all the topics of the day.
He keeps well abreast of the times, twenty
periodicals coming to his home weekly. He is
a member of General Sherman Post No. 602,
G. A. R., of Felton, has passed through all of
the chairs, and is also past commander of the
Knights of the Mystic Chain, of Winterstown.
He is a member of the United Evangelical
Church, and has filled all the offices in the
church and Sunday-school. Captain Miller's
first wife died March 13, 1885, and is buried at
Mt. Pleasant cemetery. The children born to
them were as follows : Isaiah Howard, born
Oct. 5, 1866, now an R. F. D. carried, residing
at Parke, York county, married Elizabeth Alt-
house; Annie Dora, born Dec. 19, 1868, mar-
ried E. P. Thompson, and resides in Rinely,
York county; Elma Agnes, born June 6, 1872,
is Mrs. Johnson J. Shroeder, of York; Mary
Levia, born Jan. 25, 187=;, married Henry Alt-
house, and resides near Stewartstown ; Charles
David Wilbur, born March 3, 1877, married



BIOGRAPHICAL



427



Emma ]\IcLane, and resides near Glen Rock;
Bessie Jane, bom Dec. 23, 1879, is a dress-
maker and traveling saleslady ; Minerva Alice,
born Sept. 10, 1882, married William Wilson,
and lives on Capt. Miller's home farm, as does
J. Percy, born March 3, 1885.

Captain Miller was married (second) on
Dec. 30, 1885, to Elizabeth Margaret Hess,
daughter of Robert J. and Rebecca (Brown)
Hess, natives of Fulton township, Lancaster
county, who came to York county after mar-
riage and there died. Mrs. Miller was educated
in the public schools, and, until her marriage,
was engaged in dress-making at Rinely.

ROBERT L. JONES. The following bio-
graphy is taken verbatim (with a few minor
changes to bring the sketch to date) from the
"Historic Cyclopedia of the 19th Congression-
al District of Pennsylvania" : "That America
possesses many advantages for men of energy
and comprehensive ability is well illustrated by
the very successful career of Robert L. Jones,
of Delta, Pa., who was born at Penmachno,
Caernarvonshire, Wales, 1841, and emigrated
to the LTnited States in i860. His parents
were natives of Wales and never left that coun-
try ; of the six children, however, five dame to
America, the eldest of whom is John W., who
arrived here in 1857 and engaged in the slate
business in West Bangor, where he now lives.
Three years later, the third oldest member of
the family and subject of our sketch, came over
from Wales, and in 1888 their sister, Mrs.
Richard Roberts, and her husband, crossed the
ocean and have made Delta their home. The
second child, Mrs. Richard Jones, came over in
1890, and now resides in South Delta, and the
next younger member, William Penn, who is
now superintendent of the slate quarries, owned
by our subject, Robert L., emigrated in 1886.
"Robert L. Jones was educated in the public
schools of Wales, where he also learned the
slate business when he became old enough to
work in the quarries where his father was em-
, ployed as a quarr3anan. Like his elder brother,
he at first located at West Bangor, where he
worked at his trade as a laborer in the slate
works until 1862, ;when our country was
threatened with dismemberment and plung^ed
into the horrors of war. True to the impulses
of the land of liberty which had become his
adopted country, he enlisted in August, 1862,
in Company A, 3d Penn. Heavy Artillery, at



Philadelphia, determined to lay down his life,
if necessary, to defend the sacred rights of man.
He was soon promoted from the rank of private
to that of sergeant and was detached to gun-
boat 'Schrapnell,' artillery duty, doing picket
and scouting service in Virginia and North
Carolina, during the years 1864-65. In June
of the latter year he was honorably discharged
at Fortress Monroe, Va., having done his duty
bravely in the time of danger.

"When Mr. Jones returned from the war he
again resumed his work in the slate quarries at
West Bangor, and continued in the capacity of
employee until 1872, when he, in company
with four others, began to operate a quarry on
his own account. At first their works were not
extensive, but from small beginnings the inter-
ests of the business have grown, little by little,
until now Mr. Jones is 6ne of the largest quar-
ry operators in the whole district. After work-
ing this first quarry for seven years Mr. Jones
sold his interest to the other four and leased the
old big quarry at Peach Bottom, and has since
controlled its output. Fifty men are now em-
ployed there, and it has been drained by a tun-
nel extending 850 feet through a surrounding
chain of hills, which was constructed in 1895 at
a cost of $5,000, and has greatly facilitated the
work.

"In company with F. R. Williams, in 1891.
Mr. Jones purchased the lease of the Eureka
and Susquehanna Slate Companies and formed
a joint stock association, the Excelsior Slate
Company, of which Mr. Jones was elected pres-
ident and general manager, Avhich trust he still
holds. This company employs at present forty
hands. Besides his interest in the two large



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 81 of 201)