Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 84 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 84 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in Company E, 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry,
Col. Russell commanding. The courageous



and patriotic lad saw active and arduous serv-
ice with the regiment, and for a time per-
formed scout duty. At the expiration of the
term of service in June, 1865, he was honor-
ably discharged. Being still of school age, he
re-entered the public schools of Hanover and
continued his studies to the end of the year.
He then learned the trade of carpenter with
Edward Steffy, with whom he remained for
a year or two. In 1867 Mr. Thomas started
in undertaking in Hanover and in this voca-
tion he has since continued uninterruptedly.
In duration of time he is now the oldest under-
taker in Hanover. As funeral director his
place of business is located at No. 21 East
Middle street.

In 1872 ~S[r. Thomas married Mary E.
W^eaver, a native of the town of Manchester,
^Maryland, daughter of L. H. P. and Helen
M. (Eck) Weaver. To George W. and iMary
E. Thomas have been born the folowing chil-
dren : Dr. C. L., a practicing physician in
Philadelphia, Pa., who married Miss Erbin, of
that city ; Hattie, who married Robert E.
Hull, of Haddonfield, N. J.; Oliver C, in
Hanover, who married Miss Trout ; Lottie
May, who married Currin A. Allewelt, form-
erly of the Hanover Shoe Factory, and now at
heme; Austin F., and George E. In politics
Mr. Thomas is a Republican and for three
terms he has served as city tax collector. He is
a member of Major Jenkins Post, No. 99, G.
A. R., of Hanover: also of the K. of P., the
Mystic Chain, the Red Men, the Elks, the
Brotherhood of Funeral Directors and Friend-
ly Circle, Brotherhood of the Union. Both he
and his wife are active members of Emanuel
Reformed Church, of which he has ser\-ed as
deacon for five years, and as elder five years.

HON. JACOB C. DEVENEY, justice of
the peace and ex-representative in the Legis-
lature of Pennsylvania, belongs to an old and
honored family of York county. He was born
Nov. 17, 1848, in Springfield township, son of
Levi, and grandson of Dennis Deveney. His
great-grandfather came to America, with his
family, from Ireland. They located first in
Cumberland county, and about 1820 settled in
York county, Springfield township, where the
head of the family followed his trade of a
stone and brick mason. Dennis De\'eney, the
grandfather, was also a brick mason liy trade.



BIOGRAPHICAL



439^



following that, in connection with school
teaching, in Springfield township. He died
aged fifty-seven years, and was buried in the
Shuster's cemetery, as was also his wife Eliza-
beth Shirey. Their children were: Levi,
Emanuel, Maria, Jeremiah, Leah, Elizabeth,
Caroline and Sarah Ann.

Le\-i Deveney, the father of Jacob C, was
born in Spring-field township in 1826, and was
also a stone mason by trade. He was thus ea-
gaged for about twenty years in his nati\-e
township, being also one of the first in York
countv to teach in a free school. Levi Deve-
nev died in 1884 and was interred in Shuster's
cemeterv. He married Magdaline Caslow,
daughter of Jacob Caslow, and they had these
children: Henry Albert, who died in 1890; Ja-
cob C. : Nelson, who died in 1882; Andrew,
an attorney of York, wdio died in 1884; Isa-
bella, who died young; Emma Jane: Priscilla
and Ellen. In political affiliation Mr. De-
veney belongs to the Democratic party, and
served on the school board, also holding other
township offices. He w^as a member of the
Lutheran Church, in which he took an active
part, being secretary of the church council, to
which position his son, Jacob C, -succeeded
him on the former's death.

Jacob C. Deveney attended the township
schools and a normal school in Seven Valley.
He was a teacher for fourteen years, becoming
wideh- and favorably known as an educator
throughout Springfield township. In 1871 he
married Louise A. Myers, daughter of Jesse
and Lucinda (Hamm) Myers. Mr. Deveney
now resides on his snug little farm of thirty-
four acres near Seven Valley, upon which he
has erected a very fine .set of buildings. The
children born to Mr. and Mrs. Deveney have
been as follows : Harvey, a graduate of the
Pennsylvania Colleg"e at Gettysburg, Pa., class
of 1899, Vs at present bookkeeper with the
Prudential Life Insurance Company, of New-
ark, N. J., having 109 agents under him; Cur-
die Allen, a graduate of the Shippensburg
State Normal school, class of 1900, was prin-
cipal of the Stewartstown school for three
terms, and is now principal of the school at
Jamesburg, N. J. ; Jennie married John Rowe,
of York ; Jesse is of Seven Valley : Lottie is the
wife of Albert Leathery, of York ; Mazie and
Carrie are at home; Rosie is a school teacher;
Minnie is a stenographer and bookkeeper; Le-
roy is attending the York Countv Academy,



at Seven \"alley ; and \'iokt antl Earl are at
home.

Air. De\-eney is a stanch Deniocrat. and
served in the Pennsylvania House of Repre-
sentatives from 1880 to 1884. He was elected
justice of the peace in 1876, and still holds that
position. Judge Deveney has also served as
school director of his township, and as asses-
sor. He is a faithful member of the Lutheran
Church, and takes an active part m its work.

GEORGE E. LOUCKS, station agent at
Hellam, on the Frederick division of the
Northern Central railroad (Pennsylvania sys-
tem), was born Dec. 10, 1850, in Spring Gar-
den township, York county, a son of Zacha-
riah K. and Sarah A. (Ebert) Loitcks.

John George Loucks, his great-grandfather,
came to the United States from Germany, and
settled in Berks county. Pa., at what is known
as Tulpehocken, purchasing a tract of land
there about 1780. Thence he moved to York
county, where on May 13, 1805, he purchased
from Rev. Mr. AVaggner, the mill and farm
where his great-grandson, Edwin W. Loucks,
and his grandson, Henry J. Loucks. now re-
side. This farm was once the property of a
Tory, John Rankin, who on account of his
sympathy for the British was compelled to flee
from the section. His property was confis-
cated and later sold to Rev. Rlr. Waggner,
who, as akead}- stated, sold it to John George
Loucks in 1805. Mr. Loucks was a man of
substance and prominent in the early history
of York county.

George Loucks, son of John George, was
bom Aug. 18, 1787, and died Oct. 29, 1849.
He combined the occupations of farming and
milling and was able to purchase a great d(;ar
of real estate, at the time of his death being"
the owner of the mill property. Like liis
father before him he was ver}- prominent in
the affairs of the count)', and he was a mem-
ber of the German Reformed Church. George
Loucks married Susanna \\'eltzhoft"er. of Hel-
lam township, and they became the parents of
six children, namely : Zachariah K. ; George
\y., who died in the ^^^est: Cassandra, who
married William H. Kepner, first mayor of
Harrisburg; Henrietta, who married George
C. Barnitz, of Harrisburg; Susan, who mar-
ried \\'illiam Hoke, of York; and Henry J.,
who settled on the old homestead.

Zachariah K. Loucks, father of George E.,



440



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



\\as born ]\Iarch 14, 1822, and was educated
in the York County Academy under Rev. Ste-
phen Boyer, attending there for a number of
yeai"s. He was a classmate of Prof. Kirk-
wood, who became a famous astronomer and
mathematician. He commenced his business
life in York as a clerk with the firm of Schriver
& Loucks & Co.,jind later entered the employ
of Loucks & Becker, at the old Manor Fur-
nace, in Chanceford township, where he re-
mained a year. He then entered the store of
Henry Becker, of York, where he was en-
gaged until 1839, in which year he returned
to his home in Spring Garden township, at-
tending to the duties of the mill and farm until
his fathers death, after which he and his
brother Henry succeeded to the business at the
old homestead. But besides milling and farm-
ing Mr. Loucks had many other interests, and
was one of the most prominent men of his day.
In 1863, upon the organization of the First
National Bank of York, he was elected a direc-
tor, later became vice-president, and in 1877
president of the institution. When the York
and Peach Bottom railroad was built he was a
director and financier, doing much to make the
project a success. He was a life member of
the York County Agricultural Association and
for many years a member of its board of direc-
tors. He was one of the projectors of the
Chanceford Turnpike Company and served as
president thereof: served as a director of the
York City Market until its completion, when
he resigned,; and was vice-president of the
Penn Mli>tual Horse Insurance Company of
York. His honorable connection with so
many important concerns is sufficient evidence
of his standing and the confidence reposed in
him by his associates.

On Jan. 5, 1843, Mr. Loucks married
Sarah Ann Ebert, who was born March 18,
1822, daughter of Col. Michael Ebert, of
Spring Garden township, and children as fol-
lows were born to this union: Alexander W.,
of Manchester township, York county: George
E. : Edwin W., who is on the old homestead:
Zachariah K., Jr., an attorney at law of Phila-
delphia : Susan and Annie, who died in in-
fancy ; and Isabella, who married John W. Kol-
ler and died at the ag^e of twenty-seven, having
had three sons, Zachariah (who died in in-
fancy), William I. (secretary and treasurer of
the Rockdale Powder Coiupany, York, Pa.),



and Edwin L. ( who died at the age of twenty-
four years). The mother of this family died in
February, 1891, the father in April, 1895. Mrs.
Loucks was a Lutheran in religious belief, but
Mr. Loucks clung to the church of his family,
the German Reformed. His political senti-
ments were at first those of the ^^'hig party,
and he afterward joined the Republicans.

George E. Loucks was educated in the
York County Academy and the college at Get-
tysburg, Pa. He commenced work with his
father, assisting about the farm and mill, until
long after he had reached his majority. On
April 12, 1878, Mr. Loucks came to Hellam,
and on Nov. i8th of the same year he was
appointed agent of the Pennsylvania Railroad
Company, when his father built a neat, cosy
station building, including warehouse and tel-
egraph office. He sold the first ticket Nov.
18, 1878. He has been in the employ of the
Pennsylvania Company and Northern Central
Railway ever since as agent there, and is also
the agent of the Adams Express Company at
that point, performing the duties of both posi-
tions with the faithfulness and courtesy which
account for his long retention at Hellam.

Mr. Loucks was married, March 7, 1878,
to Mary J. S. Myers, daughter of Samuel
Myers, of Spring Garden township. They
have no children of their own, but have reared
two. Addie M. Shelley (a cousin by mar-
riage) came to the Loucks household at the
age of nine, and remained for eighteen years,
or until her marriage, in June, 1898, to Ed-
ward A. Kister, by whom she has one child,
Mildred: they reside at New Cumberland, Pa.
The other child reared by Mr. and Mrs.
Loucks, AVilber H. Myers, was a nephew by
marriage, and has lived with them from the
age of four years, a period of twenty-one
years. The family are members of the Luth-
eran Church. Mr. Loucks holds membership
with York Lodge, No. 213, B. P. O. E., and
the York County Historical Society. He is
identified with the Republican party, though
he often votes independently. Mr. Loucks is
of a literary turn of mind, somewhat of a
book worm, loving his home and books be-
yond everything else. He is very much in
love with scientific literature and the discov-
eries in the scientific world, and he possesses
one of the finest private libraries in York
county.



BIOGRAPHICAL



441



JOSIAH W. GITT. deceased, is promi-
nently remembered as one of the sterling bnsi-
ness men of Hanover, who resided there for
more than a half century, and during most of
the period was actively and successfully en-
gaged in commercial pursuits. He is further
remembered as the representative of one of
the old and prominent pioneer families of
York county, his ancestors having borne well
their part in the wresting of the chosen land
from its primitive wildness. They left a heri-
tage of honorable service to a posterity which
is still prominent in the affairs of Hanover.

James Gitt, great-grandfather of Josiah
W., was a native of Ireland, who migrated to
this vicinity while the red man still lingered in
the primeval forests and when the vast soli-
tudes of nature reigned there supreme. In
this new land he married a young German
woman of remarkable character, well fitted to
share with him the duties of a pioneer, for she
possessed a rare courage, great strength of
mind and body and sympathy for the sick and
suffering. At times she was called to admin-
ister to those who were ill, and, on occasions
like these, was accustomed to mount a horse
and ride at great speed to the homes of the
afflicted. It is related that in all her life she
was not ill a day, and she lived to the remark-
able age of 103 years. James Gitt was also
the representative of a long-lived family, his
mother, who was born in 1720, dying at the
age of 102 years. James Gitt was a man of
superior force of character, even among the
sturdy pioneer race. He filled the office of
constable under his Britannic Majesty and
was also justice of the peace under the Colo-
nial government. He left five sons, and his
descendants, at the time of his death, num-
bered seventy.

William Gift; the grandfather of Josiah
W., also had a family of five children and died
at the age of ninety-nine years. One of his
sons, George Gitt, was the father of Josiah W.
The family of George Gitt consisted of Deli-
ah. who married Edward Bair; Mary A., Mrs.-
H. W. Enimert : Josiah W. : and George D.

Josiah ^^'. Gitt was born June 10, 1821,
in Conewago township, on what was origin-
ally the Gitt homestead, but in later years was
known as the Kellar place and the O'Bold
farm. When a lad he removed with his par-
ents to Hanover, and, after acquiring an edu-



cation such as the village then afforded, de-
voted himself to commercial pursuits, for
which he possessed marked aptitude. He
learned the jeweler's trade and at the age of
twenty-one 3'ears began business for himself
in what is now the Gitt building, the site of
which .was granted by State rights to his
grandfather, William Gitt. He continued suc-
cessfully in that line for a number of years,
but on April 10, 1847, he entered into partner-
ship with H. W. Enimert in the dry-goods and
notions business, under the firm name of Gitt
& Enimert. This partnership continued unin-
terruptedly until June 5, 1863, when Mr. Em-
niert retired. As an individual Mr. Gitt then
continued the business until 1889, when, after
a career of forty-five years as merchant, he re-
tired in favor of his two sons, George D., and
Harry N. ; they prosperously conducted the
establishment until 1898, when the J. W. Gitt
Company was incorporated, and this firm has
continued the record of success up to the pres-
ent. To the management of his business Jo-
siah W. Gitt applied a memory of remarkable
retentiveness and a remarkably sound judg-
ment. His honest and upright methods won
вЦ†for his house an enviable reputation, not only
in York but throughout the neighboring coun-
ties of Adams and Carroll.

In early manhood Josiah W. Gitt married
Maria Newman, daughter of the late Jacob
and Elizabeth Newman, \\-ho at that time re-
sided on Carlisle street, Hanover, where John
S. Young now lives. Shortly after marriage
the young couple began housekeeping in the
building, at the corner of Fountain Scjuare and
Baltimore street, in which the husband died.
To Josiah and Maria (Newman) Gitt were
born thirteen children, of whom the following
eight survive: George D., of Frederick
street: Harry N. and Mrs. A. J. Snively, of
Fountain Square: Mrs. Jacob H. Schriver;
Mrs. T. J. O'Neill, of Baltimore street: ]\Irs.
Eugene F. Schniuck, of Franklin street: Mrs.
Charles Geiselman. of Spring avenue, and
Mrs. Charles Aiken, of Pine Grove ]\Iills, Cen-
ter county. Surviving his worthy helpmate
for a number of years, Josiah ^^^ Gitt passed
away, Feb. 10, 1898, aged seventy-seven
years. He was a consistent and lifelong mem-
lier of the M. E. Church and was buried at Mt.
Olivet cemeterv.



44-'



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ELI HOOVER COCKLIN, a represen-
tative farmer and extensi\'e fruit grower of
Monaghan township, York county, was born
in Monag-han township, March 8, 1835, son of
Jacob and Catherine (Hoover) Cocklin.

The Cockhn family are of French origin,
the founder of this branch of the family in the
L^nited States spelling the name Cacjueline.
Thej^ were Huguenots and first settled in New
London, Conn., spreading into different states.
The ancestors of Eli H. iirst settled in Lan-
caster county, and later the great-grandfather
came to Cumberland county, where the family
has been a prominent one for many years.
Jacob Cocklin, the great-grandfather, was
born Oct. 15, 1733, in Lancaster county, and
was educated in the subscription schools of his
day. He owned and occupied a farm in Cum-
berland county, and died Nov. 9, 1799, aged
sixty-six years, six months and twenty-five
days.

Jacob Cocklin (2), son of Jacob and
grandfather of Eli H., was born Dec. 14,
1770, and was a farmer. He died in Cumber-
land county May 4, 1840, while his wife, Mary
Nepler, was born Nov. 6, 1768, died April
22, 1845, in her seventy-fourth year. The
children born to this worthy couple were as
follows: Michael, March 27, 1795; Jacob,
the father of Eli H., Jan. 30, 1797; Mary,
May 6, 1798; David and Susannah, March 25,
1802; Catherine, May 3, 1806; Margaret,
April 9, 1810; and Christina, May 26, 1812.

Jacob Cocklin (3), the father, was a
farmer and printer, and also extensively en-
gaged in fruit growing from 1821 until the
time of his death. He was a pioneer horticult-
urist in Cumberland and York counties, and
the site of his first orchard in the former coun-
ty was called Castle Ray. Mir. Conklin also
carried on distilling to a certain extent, manu-
facturing peach brandy and apple jack. He
also engaged at one time in the nursery busi-
ness and many varieties still to be found in
York county are of his introduction. He
passed away Dec. 18, 1890, aged ninety-
three years, ten months and eighteen days. He
and his wife had the following children : Eliz-
abeth, born Dec. 25, 1828; Sarah, Aug. 14,
183 1 ; Eli H. ; Benjamin F., May 4, 1838, and
Michael H. and Jacob H. (twins), born July
29, 1841. yirs. Cocklin died March 13, 1872,
aged seventv-one vears, one month and nine



days. Politically Mr. Cocklin was a Demo-
crat, but never sought public office outside of
his township, where he served as school direc-
tor.

Eli Hoover Cocklin received his 'education
in the common schools of York county and
with the exception of two years spent in Black
Hawk county, la., he has been on the old
homestead all of his life, where he devotes his
entire time to fruit culture, although in pre-
vious 3'ears he operated a nursery. Mr. Cock-
lin makes a specialty of peaches, and the Cock-
lin orchards are the most extensive in York
county, in 1904 producing 9,000 bushels. Mr.
Cocklin's farm consists of about 700 acres of
valuable land, all of which is in a high state
of cultivation.

On Aug. 9, 1859, in Black Hawk Co.,
Iowa. Mr. Cocklin married Sarah E. Caley,
daughter of Chambers and Docey (Dunn)
Caley, and the children born to this union are :
Ida M., April 9, 1861 ; Charles C, June 29,
1862; Russell T., Oct. i, 1864; Benjamin F.,
July 9, 1867; Alice D., Jan. 31, 1871 ; John
A.. April 26, 1873 and Arthur B., Jan. 8,
1888. In religion the family are members of
the German Reformed Church, where Mr.
Cocklin has served as elder, having been con-
nected with that body since 1869. In political
matters he is a Republican, but has never con-
sented to hold any office except that of school
director. Mr. Cocklin is an upright and enter-
prising citizen, and is very well known and
highly esteemed throughout York county.

CLY SHELLEY, one of the most promi-
nent men of York county. Pa., and one of the
leading citizens and business men of Cly, Pa.,
was born in that little village in 1866, a son of
.\braham and Anna Mary (Hess) Shelley.

Abraham Shelley, great-grandfather of our
subject, at one time owned what is known as
Shelleys Island, containing 350 acres of land.
There Abraham Shelley, the grandfather, was
born, and there both he and his wife lived and
died. They had three children : Christian, de-
ceased; Lydia, who resides at Harrisburg, Pa.,
at the age of ninety- four ; and Abraham, the
father of Cly, our subject. Abraham Shelley
was born in 1809 on Shelleys Island. In
young manhood he came to Newberry town-
ship and purchased 300 acres of land near the
hamlet of Civ, Pa., engaging in farming, and





J/cZ&^.



BIOGRAPHICAL



443



being associated with the well known lumber
firm of Frazer at Goldsboro. Abraham Shel-
ley was twice married, and had twelve chil-
dren born to both unions. He married first Hen-
rietta Croll, daughter of John Croll, of York
county. She died in 1858, and is buried at
Smoketown. The children who survive her
are : Henry, a merchant at Steelton, Pa. ; Bar-
tram, a prosperous farmer at Cly ; Walter, a
cigar maker at Goldsboro ; and Abraham, Jr.,
a merchant in Harrisburg. Mr. Shelley mar-
ried, second, Anna Mary Hess, daughter of
Frederick Hess, who now resides in the vil-
lage of Cly, Pa. Her surviving children are :
Mrs. John O. Kraft; Louis, a paper-maker of
Cly, Pa.; William S., also a papermaker; Ella,
wife of Daniel Cassell, of York Haven, Pa. ;
Herr M;. and Mina, at home; and Cly, our
subject. Abraham Shelley, father of our sub-
ject, died in the village of Cly, Pa., in 1895,
at the age of eighty-five years. '

Cly Shelley attended the common schools
in Newberry township until the age of thirteen
years, and then went to John O. Kraft of
Strinestown, Pa., and served an apprentice-
ship of six months at cigarmaking. Then he
accepted a position as a cigarmaker with the
well known fimi of Dugan & Funk, cigar man-
ufacturers of Goldsboro, Pa., for whom he
worked thirteen successive years, resigning his
position and going into the mercantile business
in Cly, Pa., which has been successfully con-
tinued the past eleven years. Later he went
into the cigar business as a member of the firm
of Shelley & Gray, and subsecjuently bought
Mr. Gray's interest, continuing the business
himself. Mainly through his efforts the hamlet
grew into a village. In 1894 Mr. Shelley ap-
plied to the Northern Central Railroad Com-
pany for the establishment of a station at the
little hamlet that he had founded, and this re-
quest was immediately granted by the corpora-
tion. In 1898 he applied to the government for
the establishment of a post office, which was
immediately granted also, Mr. Shelley being
appointed postmaster, in which incumbency
he has now been serving the people for
eight years. In honor of its founder the
United States government named the post-
office Cly. In 1 89 1 Mr. Shelley applied to the
Adams Express Company for the establish-
ment of an express ofifice, which was immedi-
ately granted, and he was appointed agent, with
the same name and honor, as the post office.



Turn where 3'ou will in this hustling liltle vil-
lage you will find that Mr. Shelley has been
prominent in all its enterprises. He was active
in securing a public school building here. He
has built cjuite a number of houses and owns
other real estate. He is a stockholder in the
York Telephone Company, York, Pa. ; York
Haven Canning Company, York Haven, Pa. ;
the Chase Felt & Paper Company, and the Sus-
quehanna Roofing Manufacturing Company, of
Cly, Pa., and the West End Roofing Company,
Harrisburg, Pa. Mr. Shelley is a director in
the four last named companies, and is secretary
of the Chase Felt & Paper Company.

Mr. Shelley, in the fall of 1905, made ap-
plication to the fourth assistant postmaster gen-
eral at Washington, D. C, for the establish-
ment of a rural free delivery route from Cly,
and in April, 1906, received authority to estab-
lish same, which he did at once. R. B. Zigner
was appointed carrier, and 120 families, or
about six hundred people, are served, who ap-
preciate the service very much.

Politically Mr. Shelley is a Republican, has
served his party on township and county com-
mittees, served thi'ee years as township treas-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 84 of 201)