Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 85 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 85 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


urer, and was also a state delegate.

In 1889 Mr. Shelley married Miss Clara E.
Free, daughter of Eli H. and Catherine ( Cas-
sell) Free. They have four children : Cather-
ine L., Otto C, now students at York County
Academy; Guy E. and Clara F., at home.

ANDREW S. HUTTON was for a num-
ber of years, actively engaged in general farm-
ing on his 154-acre farm in Lewisberry. He
was born July 15, 1842, in Monaghan town-
ship, York county, son of Jacob and Jane
(Strominger) Hutton.

John Hutton, the grandfather of Andrew
S., was born in York county, of English de-
scent. He followed farming in Fishing Creek
Valley, Newberry township, for a time, then
located in Monaghan township, and later re-
moved to Fairview township, where he en-
gaged in general farming until his death,
which occurred in his seventy-fifth vear ; he
was interred at Andersontown. John Hut-
ton married a ]\Iiss Keister, who was a mem-
ber of one of York county's old and respected
families. Mrs. Hutton died at the age of
forty-two years, and was buried at Smoke-
town, Newberrv township. The children born



444



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



to this worthy couple were : Elijah, a farmer of
^^■ooster, Ohio, where he died; Jacob, father
of Andrew S. ; Eliza, who married Daniel
Kann, and died in Fairview township; John,
who died in Monaghan township.

Jacob Hutton was born in 1812, in New-
berry township, and received his education in
the common schools of the township. He
learned the carpenter's trade when a youth fol-
lowing this occupation for about seven years.
;\Ir. Hutton was a skilled mechanic and erected
many buildings, besides doing some cabinet
work. He commenced farming in Newberry
township, where he bought a tract of land con-
sisting of 145 acres, upon which he built sev-
eral fine structures. He also owned three
other farms in Newberry township and a very
large farm in Cumberland county. Mr. Hut-
ton followed agricultural pursuits up to the
time of his death, Jan. 17, 1894, and his
knowledge of agriculture was conceded to be
thorough and scientific. Mr. Hutton was
buried in Fairview township. He married
Jane Stroming-er, daughter of Jacob Stromin-
ger, and she now resides with her son, Paris,
in Upper Allen township, Cumberland county,
having attained the ripe old age of eighty-five
years. Jacob Hutton was a Republican in pol-
itics and was greatly interested in the success
of his party. He served as school director of
Newberry township. The children born to
Jacob and Jane Hutton were as follows : Ra-
chel married Andrew Miller, and resides in
Lower Allen township, Cumberland county;
Jacob met death at the age of thirteen years,
six months, by being struck by lightning;
Daniel married Mary Jane Starr, and resides
at Lewisberry ; Lucinda lives with her sister
Rachel : Andrew S. ; John is a farmer in Up-
per Allen township, Cumberland county; Alice
died at the age of three years ; and Paris is re-
siding in Cumberland count3^

Andrew S. Hutton attended the public
schools until eighteen years of age. and then
remained home, assisting his father on the
farm until his twenty-fourth year, when he
married Jane Miller, daughter of Henry F.
and ^lary Ann (Groom) Miller of Lewis-
berry. After their marriage Mr. Hutton and
his wife located in Newberry township, on one
of his father's farms, where they remained
four years, then removing to Fairview town-
ship and living there for five years. They then



removed to Lower Allen township, Cumber-
land county, but one year later returned to
Fairview. There they remained two years,
and then came to the old home in Newberry
towaiship, where Mr. Hutton farmed for six-
teen years. In 1891 Mr. Hutton located in
Lewisberry borough and bought eight acres
of land, upon which he built a fine residence.
The farm in the township consists of 154 acres
of fine land, which Mr. Hutton cultivated to a
high state, but, having accumulated a large
competency, he retired from active life.

The following children have been born to
Mr. and Mrs. Hutton : Seward married a
Miss Zinn, and follows farming in Fairview
township : Cora married Israel Zinn, and lives
on the old homestead in Newberry township;
Celia married Ira Gilmore and lives in Fair-
view township ; Sylvan M. formerly taught
school in Newberry township, attended
Princeton University from which he gradu-
ated in 1902, taught a graded school at Edge-
wood, N. J., and one term at Chestnut Level,
Lancaster county, read law for a time, and
Jan. 6, 1904, accepted a position in San Fran-
cisco, Cal., in the' Government weather 'bu-
reau ; and Elsie married S. Ensminger, a
butcher at Lewisberry. Mr. Hutton is a
stanch Republican. Both he and his wife are
connected with the M. E. Church, in which he
is trustee. Mr. Hutton is a man of honesty
and integrity, and is honored and respected by
all who know him.

ANDREW A. AND WILLIAM W. MAF-
FET. So far as is known the Mafi^et family
in America is descended from Scotch-Irish
^tock. James Maffet, Sr., the great-grand-
father of the gentlemen whose names open
this sketch, was born in the North of Ireland,
and his wife's name was Margaret. He emi-
grated to the United States, then the Colonies,
settling at Hopewell Center, York Co., Pa.,
where he carried on farming until his death,
which occurred in 1825^.

William M'afifet, son of James, Sr., also
followed farming during his active years. On
Jan. 13, 1801, he married Jane Thompson, of
Hopewell township, who had been previously
married. To this union children were born as
follows: William, born March 10, 1802;
Agnes, March 13, 1804; Margaret, Sept. 29,
1806; James P., March 17, 1809; Jane T.,



BIOGRAPHICAL



445



Jan. 28, 1812; Eliza, July 22, 1814; Andrew,
June 6, 1 81 7; Mary E., Oct. 30, 1819; and
Asemiah May 3, 1822. Mr. and Mrs. Maffet
were members of the Presbyterian Church.
Politically he was an old-line Whig. William
Maffet died Aug. 12, 1831, while his widow
survived until February, 1841.

James P. Maffet, father of Andrew A. and
William W., was born in Fawn township,
York county. His education, as far as school-
ing went, was somewhat limited, as he only
attended school for a few. months. He was,
however, one of those who grasp advantages
and opportunities as they arise, and he became
a good business man, and one well informed
on local affairs. In early life he devoted much
of his time to freighting overland, between
Muddy Creek Forks and the city of Balti-
more, Md., a distance of forty miles. He
hauled the farmers' produce to Baltimore,
"where he exchang-ed it for goods suitable to
his trade, having, in 1841, moved to Muddy
Creek Forks, and in a rented building on the
Hopewell side of the creek started a general
store, where he did a good business for about
three years. In 1844 he purchased 160 acres
of land lying in the three townships that join
at Muddy -Creek Forks, which purchase in-
cluded the land on the Chanceford side of the
creek, now the railroad station, where there
were then a dwelling, a grist mill and a barn.
Here Mr. Maffet continued the general mer-
chandising business, and also engaged in mill-
ing and farming. The mill here became noted
for m'aking a good qualit)^ of buckwheat meal.
Before the farms in the lower end of the coun-
ty had reached their present state of fertility
a large acreage of buckwheat was farmed and
the mill was kept busy each fall and winter for
over thirty years in manufacturing buckwheat
meal, most of which was hauled to Baltimore
by the farmers' teams. Mr. Maffet conducted
his various interests successfully until the
spring of 1885, when he retired from business.
He was postmaster at Muddy Creek Forks
from 1875 to 1888, when he moved with his
■sons and daughter, Maggie E., to Peach Bot-
tom township. By thrift and industry he ac-
cumulated a handsome competency, and at the
time of his death, in 1893, '^'^''^^ considered one
of the substantial men of the locality.

Mr. Maffet was married Feb. 3, 1842, to
Margaret Anderson, daughter of Andrew and



Mary (Wallace) Anderson, of Hopewell
township, and the following named children
were born to this worthy couple : Andrew A.,
born June 8, 1843; Mary J., born Dec. 18,
1844; William W., born April 10, 1847; ^i^d
Annie E. and Maggie E., both deceased. Mr.
Maffet was a member of the Presbyterian
Church. In politics he was a Republican, but
he never took much interest in party affairs,
and never sought political office.

Andrew A. Maffet was educated in the
common schools of Lower Chanceford to\\-n-
ship, and also took an academic course at
Pleasant Grove, and spent a short time at
Brogueville. For seven years he taught school
very successfully, becoming well and favora-
bly known as an educator, and then turned his
attention to the various business interests of
his father. In the spring of 1885 Andrew A.
and W^illiam W. Maffet succeeded their father,
James P. Maffet, in the mercantile business
at Muddy Creek Forks, and conducted same
successfully for three years', under the firm
name of Maffet Bros. They have since con-
tinued their farming and other business under
the same firm name. They continued at Muddy
Creek Forks until 1888, when they located in
Peach Bottom township, where they pur-
chased 105 acres of good farm land, to the op-
eration of which they have since de\'Oted their
time. They hold an interest in two steam
threshing outfits and in a steam sawmill, and
are among the substantial men of th.eir com-
munity.

William ^^'. Alaffet assisted in his father's
business from an early age until his marriage
to Sallie J. Stewart, in 1876, when he and his
wife moved to Charlotte county, Va., on a
farm owmed by his father, and engaged in
farming for one year. They then i-eturned to
Muddy Creek Forks, Mir. Maffet farming two
years for his father. He then moved into
\Vindsor township, where he did a general
merchandise business for five years, returning
to Muddy Creek Forks in the spring of 1885.
His business operations since that time have
been already mentioned. He is a director in
the First National Bank of Delta.

In 1876, as stated, William \\'. Maffet
married Sallie J. Stewart, daughter of Wil-
liam and Mary P. Stewart, and a cousin nf
Judge A\^ F. Bay Stewart, of "^'ork. Pa., and
t\\-o children were Ijorn to this union : A



446



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



daughter who died in infancy in Virginia, and
Tames V., who assists his uncle and father on
the farm. Mrs. MatYet died Oct. 17, 1887.
In 1889 :Mr. :\Iaffet married (second) Anna
E. Fuhon, daughter of Robert and Miary E.
Fulton, and to this union one son has been
born, Robert P., who is attending school.

The Mafifet brothers are both Republicans.
Andrew is holding the office of justice of the
peace, to which position he was first elected
in 1896, his present term expiring in May,
1906; he was reelected Feb. 20, 1906, for his
third term of five years. William has held the
office of school director for two terms of three
vears each. The family are members of the
Presbyterian Church. Andrew IMaffet served
as elder in the Harmony Church at Brogue-
ville until his removal to Peach Bottom town-
ship, since which time he has been elder in the
Slate Ridge Presbyterian Church, in which
his brother, William W.. is superintendent of
the Sunday-school. The brothers are men of
sterling worth and are highly esteemed by all
with whom they have come in contact.

Marv J. Maffet, sister of the Alaffet broth-
ers, married Grier T. Barnett, of Lower
Chanceford township. She received an acade-
mic education, and taught school in this com-
munity ^•ery successfully for ten terms.

JOHN RANKIN FETROW is engaged
in general farming on his tract of 1 54 acres in
Fairview township, York county. He was
born Feb. 17, 1866, in Fairview township, son
of Franklin S. and Elizabeth (Sheally) Fet-
row.

Philip Fetrow, the great-great-grandfather
of John R., was born in Germany, May i,
1719, and, coming to America, settled on a
large tract of land in Conewago township,
York county, where he died March 7, 1791,
aged seventy years, one month and seven
days. His wife Anna Mary died at the age of
seventy-three years, and both were buried in
York City. The children born to this union
were: Philip, the great-grandfather of John
R. Fetrow; Joseph; Andrew; John; Michael,
and -Catherine, who married a Mr. Jacobs.

Philip Fetrow was born in October, 1776,
in Conewago township, where he engaged in
agricultural pursuits. At the age of twenty-
four years he went to Newberry township,
where he continued in the farming, milling and



distilling industries. In 1839 he built a house
near the Ball hills, where he died in 1868. He
married (first) Elizabeth Boyer, by whom he
had the following children ; Samuel ; David,
grandfather of John Rankin; Mary; Ann;
Sarah ; Susan, and Elizabeth. Mr. Fetrow's
second marriage was to Ruby Thorbling, by
whom these children were born: Lydia;
Leah ; Rachel ; and Jane, who is the family
historian, living in Newberry township on the
old home. She married Samuel Bellinger.

David Fetrow was born in Newberry town-
ship, where he engaged in farming, also pur-
suing this occupation in Fairview township.
He married a Miss Shutter, who died in New-
berry township at the age of eighty-four years.
Mr. Fetrow died in Kansas. These good peo-
ple were the parents of William, living in Kan-
sas; Franklin S., the father of John R. ;
Henry, who was killed at the battle of Antie-,
tam, in the Civil war ; Miller, who lives in
Kansas ; Sarah Jane, who was married to
George Fetrow, living" in Kansas ; and one child
who died young.

Franklin S. Fetrow was born in 1835 in
Newberry township, where he recei\'ed a com-
mon-school education. He remained at home,
assisting his father on the farm, until his mar-
riage to Elizabeth Sheally, daughter of Fred-
erick and Barbara (Eichelberger) Sheally,
when he took the homestead of 154 acres and
upon it spent all of his life, dying there in
1892. He was very well known in the com-
munity in which he lived so many years, and
was popular and highly esteemed in the town-
ship. His estimable wife passed away in 1896
and she, as well as her husband, are interred
at Mt. Zion cemetery, Fairview township. In
politics Mr. Fetrow was a Republican, and
took g'reat interest in the success of his party.
He served as school director of the township.
In his religious belief he was a devoted mem-
ber of the Lutheran Church. The children
born to Mr. and Mrs. Franklin S. Fetrow
were as follows : Samuel, who married Susan
Snaveley, lives in Cumberland county; John
Rankin; Jacob S., married Ida Snyder, and is
living at Lewisberry ; Grant, who married Jen-
nie Smith, is living in Cumberland county;
Clara, who married John R. Snyder, lives in
Fairview township, and Jennie, who married
George Miller, lives in Newberry township.
John Rankin Fetrow received his educa-



BIOGRAPHICAL



447



tion in the Cross Roads school which he at-
tended until he was twenty-one years of age,
working on the farm for his father in the
meantime. In 1894 he was married to Annie
Bowen, a daughter of Levi and Martha (Wis-
tler) Bowen, and after their union the young
couple settled on the oM homestead, which
came into Mr. Fetrow's possession at the death
of his father. Mr. Fetrow has cultivated the
land up to the highest standard, has made
many improvements on the farm in general,
and is a very prosperous and enterprising
young man. He attends the Harrisburg
markets.

The following children have been bom to
Mr. and Mrs. John R. Fetrow : Celia, Hazel
and Franklin, very bright little members of
the Fetrow household. In >his political views
Mr. Fetrow believes in the principles of the
Republican party. Religiously he is a mem-
ber of the Church of God, in which he is treas-
urer and trustee. Mr. Fetrow stands in a high
position among the capable and enterprising
business men of his county.

THOMAS GREEN, superintendent of
the York Haven Water & Power Co., who
was born June 11, 1847, i" Cecil county, Md.,
has already behind him a long array of im-
portant works, splendidly done, and has estab-
lished his name as an able and reliable con-
tractor over a wide area.

Francis Green, father of Thomas, was a
native of the North of Ireland and spent his
younger days there. Migrating later to Eng-
land he engaged in the tile business, roofing
and flooring, until 1840, when he came to
America and landed in New York. Continu-
ing his journey as far as Cecil county, Md.,
he there established himself in the contracting
business. While the greater part of his busi-
ness was in building dams and developing
Avater power, he was very well known for his
ability along general construction lines, and
made a broad reputation for himself. He did
much work for Dupont, the powder manufact-
urer in Wilmington, Del., and also built and
owned nine miles of plank road between Elk-
ton, Md., and Lewisville, Pa. Mr. Green
was a, member of the Catholic Church, and in
his political views was a Republican, although
m his earlier years he was a Democrat. He
married Sarah Connelly, daughter of Neil



Connelly: she was born in Scotland, in the
birthplace of Robert Burns. Mrs. Green died at
the age of sixty-eight years, and her husband
when seventy-six years old. Both are buried
in Elkton, Md. The children born to them
were as follows: Francis, a blacksmith in
Ridgely, Caroline Co., Md. ; Thomas : Philip,
a resident of Conewago township, York coun-
ty : Sarah, who married the late Charles Egg-
man, of Philadelphia, and Mary, Mrs. Thomas
Kelly, of New York City.

Thomas Green attended school in Cecil
county, Md., until he was fifteen years of age.
and then enlisted in Company H, known as
Purnall's Legion of Baltimore, but being soon
transferred to the ist Maryland, served for
three years in the Army of the Potomac, par-
ticipating in the battles of Antietam, Cold
Harbor, Petersburg and others. He was mus-
tered out March 14, 1864. Mr. Green then
learned the construction business under his
father, and in 1870 took his first independent
position with the Jessup & Moore Paper Com-
pany, of Wilmington, Del. From this he re-
signed to form a co-partnership with his
father, which continued until 1876, he return-
ing to the Jessup & Moore Paper Company in
order to construct a reservoir. This he com-
pleted in 1877, and then entered the shops of
Pusey & Jones, to learn the machinist's trade,
remaining there until 1884. In November of
that year he came to York Haven to build the
plant for the York Haven Paper Company,
at the time of its construction the largest
mill of the kind in the State, and now one of
York county's flourishing industries. He su-
perintended the plant for one and one-half
years after its completion, when he resigned
to accept a position with the Maryland Steel
Company, at Sparrow's Point, Md., remaining
in that company's employ in charge of their
construction work for three and one-half
years, and resigning to accept a position with
the City of Wilmington as inspector of streets
and sewers. At the end of three and one-half
years be resigned to accept a position as super-
intendent of construction of the Hammer Mill
at Erie, Pa., a plant that was installed by a
German syndicate at a cost of $1,000,000, and
at that time one' of the most up-to-date plants
of the kind in the world. After completing
the plant named he returned to York Haven to
superintend the construction of the York Ha-



448



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ven Water & Power Company's plant and is
still efficiently serving in that position. Num-
erous works of similar importance, con-
structed by Mr. Green, could be described, but
the significance of his achievements can be
seen from these.

Mr. Green was married, in 1875, to Miss
Adelia McGready, daughter of Cornelius and
Annie (Elkin) McGready, of Maryland. To
them have been born six children, namely:
Harry C, a machinist and assistant superin-
tendent for his father, also a member of the
school board, married to Nora Mills, of Clay-
ton, Del; Thomas, Jr., a clerk in the office of
the Water & Power Company, who married
Myrtle Bushey, of Dillsburg, Pa.; Francis,
unmarried, who is also employed in the Water
& Power Company; Joseph, John Russell and
James Powers, all attending school. The
family home was bought by Mr. Green in
1902, and the view of the Susquehanna which
it commands is one of the finest in the country.
Mr. Green is a member of the Catholic
Church. Politically he has always been a Re-
publican, and has done good service for his
party. He has served as a member of the
council for York Haven, and is in every way a
good citizen. His first vote was cast for Abra-
ham Lincoln while serving in the army, and
he was the only one of his company to vote
for him ; he was also one of the judges of elec-
tion at that time. Mr. Green commands the
entire respect of his associates not only for his
ability and success in the business world, but
for his personal worth as a man.

CHRISTIAN T. GROVE, registrar of
wills and chief burgess of Felton borough, is
actively engaged in the carriage and farm im-
plement business, and was born Aug. 19, 1864,
in Fawn township, York Co., Pa., son of
Charles and Elizabeth (Leib) Grove.

John Grove, grandfather of Christian T.,
married a Mis,s Shaffer, and was a farmer
until the time of his death in Fawn township.

Charles Grove, son of John, was born in
Fawn township, and was a miller from his
youth. In later years he was a farmer, and he
died on his homestead in Fawn township in
1897. In politics he was a Republican. He
married Miss Elizabeth Leib, daughter of Jo-
seph and Elizabeth (Anstine) Leib. Mrs.
Grove died in Fawn township in 1889. and



both she and her husband are interred there at
Zion Church cemetery.

Christian T. Gro\e attended the public
schools until he was eighteen years of age and
then spent one term at the Millersville State
Normal School. He remained at home until
the age of twenty-two years, when he engaged
in a mercantile business, on the corner of
Broad and \Valnut streets, in York City, and
then removed to Airville, where he was a mer-
chant for one year. In 1893 he went into part-
nership with J. R. Anderson, locating at Mr.
Grove's present place of business, under the
firm name of Anderson & Grove, it continu-
ing as such for five years, when Mr. Grove
bought his partner's interest and has since
been conducting the business himself.

Mr. Grove was reared in the faith of the
M. E. Church. Politically he has always been
a stanch Republican, and since his majority
has been actively connected with his party. He
served as the first chief burgess of Felton bor-
ough, and has continuously held that office.
He was a member of the school board for
seven j'ears, and has been its secretary. At
the Republican convention held in York in
1904, Mr. Grove was nominated registrar of
wills and at the fall election was chosen to the
office by a majority of 3,126 votes. Frater-
nally he has associated himself with the
Knights of Pythias, of Felton, in which he is
past chancellor commander ; while in the Ma-
sonic order he belongs to Shrewsbury Lodge
F. & A. M., the Royal Arch Chapter of York,
and Gethsemane Commandery, No. 76, of
York. Mr. Grove is known to be a man of
integrity and strict reliability and no one in
Felton stands higher in public esteem.

LOUIS GOE PFAFF, a prominent cigar
manufacturer of Hanover, and one of the busi-
ness men whose success has been attained by
his own efforts, is a native of Germany. He
was bom in the town of Grossenlinden, near
the city of Gissen, July 11, 1850, one of the six
children, four boys and two girls, of John and
Katherine (Focht) Pfaff. The father was a
miller by trade.

Louis G. Pfaff received an excellent educa-
tion in the Fatherland, entering the public
schools at the age of six years, and remaining
until fifteen. He then assisted his father in
the latter's mill for a time, and in 1866 he left




^z^fi^L^c^^ 9 w




BIOGRAPHICAL



449



liome for an extended trip tliroiigh Europe, Ijiit
in 1S69 emigrated to the United States. Land-
ing in Baltimore, ■\Id., he went to Washington,
D. C, where he remained several months. He
then came to Hanover, Pa., where he learned
the trade of cigarmaker with Samuel Trone.
At the completion of his apprenticeship he
worked as a journeyman until 1872, and in the
latter year engaged in husiness for himself.
■Renting a small farm one and one-half miles



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 85 of 201)