Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 86 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 86 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


south of Hanover, he engaged in farming and
cigar manufacturing for six years. He then
removed to Hanover and began a cigar manu-
facturing business which has grown steadily,
reaching large and profitable proportions. Mr.
Pfaff erected a building especially for the busi-
ness. It contains two rooms, 36x28, and
24x28, and is two stories in height. Here he
employs quite a force of men and boys, and has
an extensive and well-established trade. His
business interests have grown beyond this one
industry. He is a stockholder in the Hanover
Shoe Factory, besides having various other
business interests. In connection with this
cigar manufactory business he is a large dealer
in leaf tobacco.

In 1872 j\Ir. Pfaff married Miss Augusta
Miller, a native of York county, daughter of
Yost and Elizabeth ]\Iiller. She died Sept. 23,
1 897, the mother of seven children, namely :
Harry L. ; Rena Louise, deceased ; Katie, de-
ceased; Louis W. ; Guy, deceased; Arno ]Max;
and ]\Iary Elizabeth. The family are members
of Trinity Reformed Church. In politics j\Ir.
Pfaff is a Republican, and for six years he was
a member of the city council. In 1900 he was
elected chief burgess of Hanover. He is also
prominent in the local fraternal orders, being
affiliated with Patmos Lodge, No. 348, F. & A.
M. ; Gettvsburg Chapter, R. A. M. ; York Com-
mandery^ K. T. ; the A. A. O. N. M. S., Read-
ing; the Red Men of Amen-ica; the Mystic
Chain ; the Royal Arcanum ; and the Elks.

A. M. ASHEXFELTER, who resides on
his ninety-seven-acre farm in Monaghan town-
ship, was born May 19, 1859, on Shelley's Is-
land, across from Goldsboro, son of David and
Rebecca (]Murphy) Ashenfelter.

This branch of the Ashenfelter faiuily in
America descend from one of three brothers
who came from Germany and settled in Penn-
sylvania in the early part of the nineteenth cen-
tury. They were millers by trade, and Jacob
Ashenfelter, the grandfather of A. M., followed



that calling all of his life in York county. He
owned and operated a mill at Goldsboro, and
at one time was considered a very wealthy man.
Pie and his good wife were the parents of the
following named children : David, Jacob, Sam-
uel, George Elijah, Daniel and Susan. The
family were consistent members of the Church
of God. Mr. Ashenfelter was a Republican.
His death occurred in 1900, while his wife
passed away in 1884.

David Ashenfelter lived in York and Dau-
phin counties all of his life. By trade he was a
miller, but he spent a great deal of his time in
tobacco growing and farming, renting all of
his life. He was a man much thought of in his
community, and his death in 1900 was a sad
surprise to all who knew him, being entirely
unexpected, as he was a very large and power-
ful man, weighing 275 pounds, and up to twen-
ty minutes before his death was well and in
apparently good health. He was eighty-four
years old. Mr. Ashenfelter was a member of
the Church of God. His wife died in 1884, at
the age of sixty-four years. They were the
parents of ten children, two of whom died in in-
fancv, the survivors being: Lydia, Elizabeth,
Jacoli, Lurtensia, John, Jane, A. INI. and Ben-
jamin.

A. il. Ashenfelter remained at home until
the age of twenty-five years, when he began
studying for the ministry, but was called home
to take care of his aged parents, and started
farming, continuing same until after his moth-
er's death. Then he went to Princeton, 111.,
and there engaged in the manufacture of gas,
which occupation he continued for three years.
He then returned to Pennsylvania and entered
the employ of the Pennsjdvania Railroad Com-
pany, in whose service he remained fifteen
years, being engaged in construction work and
work in the shops. In 1901 Mr. Ashenfelter
resigned his position with the railroad company
and purchased the old Fortney farm of ninety-
seven acres, and since then has devoted his
time to farming and fruit growing.

In 1889 Mr. Ashenfelter married ^liss
Laura Forrey, daughter of Henry and Lydia
Forrey, and three children have been born to
them : Charles, who died at the age of four
years, six months : Lydia, who died at the age
of five years ; and Raymond, who lives at home.
The family are devout members of the Church
nf God. Mr. Ashenfelter is a Republican, but
not active, and has never desired office. He is



450



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



one of the enterprising and progressive farm-
ers of his section of the count}- and in the suc-
cessful operation of his farm uses modern meth-
ods and machinery, which he has found best
calculated to bring satisfactoiy results. He has
gi\-en time and means to the improvement of
his land and owns one of the most attractive
-homes in the township.

LEANDER MILTON MINNICH, of
Spring Garden township, was born in that im-
mediate locality. July 30, 1863, son of Reu-
ben F. and Elizabeth (Spangler) Minnich.
The former died in the fall of 1894.

Leander M. Minnich attended the Spring
Garden schools during his boyhood, and then
completed his education by studying for two
terms at the York Academy. He has devoted
his time since reaching manhood to agricult-
ural pursuits, and his farm is one of the best
tilled and most productive in the township.
Mr. Minnich was married in 1895 to Miss
Clara lUyes, daughter of John and Mary
(Hovis) Illyes, of York township, and one
child, Clarence, has been born to them.

Mr. Minnich belongs to a family long and
widely known throughout York county and
■other sections of the State, and b}^ marriage
they are connected with other equally promi-
-nent families. His mother, Elizabeth (Span-
gler) Minnich, was one of six children, name-
ly : Elizabeth ; Charles, deceased ; Andrew,
deceased; one who died in boyhood: Lydia,
'Mrs. George Hoke; and Leah, Mrs. Emanuel
Rudisill. His father, Reuben E. Minnich, was
also one of six children, all of whom married
and had large families except Leah, Mrs. Ben-
Benjamin Deitz. (i) Reuben Frederick
Minnick married Miss Spangler, and their
children were: Leander Milton: Edwin S. ;
Simon, deceased: Ezra; Emma, Mrs. Aaron
Laucks; Agnes, widow of the late Abraham
Kaufifman; Priscilla, deceased; Flora, Mrs.
Milton Gladfelter, and Rosa. (2) Simon, de-
ceased, was the father of: Simon; Michael;
William ; Amanda ; Susan ; and Jane, Mrs.
Swartz. (3) George, deceased, had nine chil-
dren, viz. ; George ; Susan, Mrs. Doll ; Re-
becca, Mrs. Myers; Lizzie, Mrs. Shuttle; Mag-
gie, Mrs. Rupp; Anna, Mrs. Robert: Sarah.
Mrs. Hersey; Jane, Mrs. Swartz, and Salinda.

(4) Leah married the late Benjamin Dietz.

(5) Susan married William Deitz, and became



the mother of : Edward ; Purd ; Albert ; Har-
ry; Georgianna, Mrs. Y^oung; Pervilla, Mrs.
Spangler ; William ; Emanuel ; Samuel ; Joseph
and Milton. (6) Hariet married the late Mr.
Landis and had seven children, namely : Alex-
ander; Martin; Clinton; Wesley; Amanda,
Mrs. Evans; Arabella, Mrs. Stavely; and
Anna, Mrs. Stauffer.

The paternal grandmother of Leander
M. Minnich was a Miss Geiselman, and his
connections through that branch are numer-
ous. This grandmother had seven brothers and
sisters, of whom (i) Lydia married a Hoke,
and had six children : Michael, Henry, Lena,
Mrs. Berkheimer, 'Mrs. Wolf, and Caroline,
Mrs. Welty. (2) Mrs. Swartz was the mother
of Deterick ; Isaac ; Jesse ; and Harriet, who
married Mr. Rife and had four children — •
Jesse, Morgan, Anna (Rife) Terry, and Katie.
(3) Mrs. Snyder's two daughters married Mr.
Bowman and Mr. Toman, respectively. (4)
Frederick Geiselman's children were : Henry
G., father of Frederick, Spangler, Charles,
William and Lucy; Mrs. Ehrhart, who had a
number of children ; Mrs. Brenneman, who h
a son Harry and other children ; and Adeline,
Mrs. Walter, who also had a large family.
(5) Michael Geiselman had six children, all
but one of whom married and had families, as
follov.-s : Daniel, father of Alexander, Ella
and Clara ; Samuel ; Kate Eichelberger ; Sarah
Meyers ; Lucy Rebert ; and Ann Mary, un-
married. (6) George Geiselman had one son
and five daughters: (a) Jesse was the father
of three sons — Alexander, William and
George. (b) Julia married Air. Rohrbauch
and became the mother of : George ; Frank ;
Elmer; Harry; Sarah, M'rs. Hoffman; Jeste,
Mrs. Stacks: and Nettie, Mrs. Snyder." (c)
Kate" married Mr. Gladfelter, and their chil-
dren were: Robert; Rosa, Mrs. Gross: Sarah,
Mrs. Butt: Jeste, Mrs. Warner; Mrs. Dr.
Holtzapple: Mrs. Gladfelter; Mary, Mrs.
Decker ; William ; Edward ; George ; and Em-
ma, Mrs. Martin, (d) Dena also married one
of the Gladfelters and her children were :
George ; Wesley ; Martin ; Edward ; Nathan-
iel: Anna Mary, Mrs. Hostler; Sarah. Mrs.
Beck; and Emma, Mrs. Queen, (e) Mrs. Tur-
tle's family consisted of Thomas, George,
Mary, Nettie and Margaret, Airs. Smith, (f)
Leah married Mr. Fissel and had eight chil-
dren, viz.: \\^illiam ; George; Purd; Frank;
Elmira, Mrs. Gladfelter; Mary, Mrs. Noss;



BIOGRAPHICAL



451



Christiana, Mrs. Diehl; and Sarah. (7) Jacob
Geisehnan had two sons and two daughters,
(a) Jacob was the father of Ellen, Mrs.
Smith; Anna; Lizzie, Mrs. Loucks. (b)
George had five children : Frank ; Albert ;
Edna, Mrs. Butcher; Sarah, Mrs. Smith; and
Lucy, Mrs. Krout. (c) Rebecca, Mrs. Shaf-
fer, and (d) Mrs. Sauble had children, but
their names are not known.

FRED S. WINEKA, who lives on a farm
about midway between the city of York and
the village of Red Lion, near Ore Valley sta-
tion, is a representative of the third generation
of the AVineka family in York county. [For
full family history, see sketch of Henry A.
\A'ineka.]

Mr. Wineka was torn on the old homestead
farm, in York township. May 21, 1861, son of
AA'illiam and Mary (Flinchbaugh) Wineka, and
he early became inured to the sturdy work of
the farm, while he duly availed himself of the
advantages afforded in the public schools of the
township, where he continued his studies until
he was about fifteen years of age. He re-
mained at home until the time of his marriage,
in 1888, when he took up his residence on the
homestead farm of his wife's father, in Wind-
sor township where he remained about five
years, then locating on his present farm, which
he had inherited from his father's estate. The
place comprises sixty-eight acres of good land,
and the improvements are first class, including
an attractive residence. Mr. Wineka gives his
attention to general farming, and also raises
large quantities of vegetables and other farm
produce, for which he finds a profitable mar-
ket in York. While still residing with his par-
ents he was engaged in the manufacturing of
cigars for about twelve years, having a well
equipped factory on the home place and em-
ploying from ten to fifteen skilled workmen,
while his products were sold principally in the
cities of Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Harrisburg
and Baltimore'. He is a believer in Democratic
principles, and both he and his wife are mem-
bers of the Mennonite church, in whose faith
he was reared, his parents having been faith-
ful members of the same denomination.

In February', 1888, Mr. Wineka wedded
Miss Lydia Staufi^er, who was born, reared and
educated in Windsor township, being a daugh-
ter of Frederick and Mary (Forry) Stauffer.



Her father was born in Lancaster county, and
was a child at the time of his parents' removal
to York county, where he was reared to man-
hood and where he learned the carpenter's
trade, which he followed about fifteen years. He
became the owner of a farm in Windsor town-
ship, and there continued to make his home
until his death, in 1884; his remains are in-
terred in the AVitmer cemetery, at Stony Brook.
For the last forty years of his life he was a
zealous member of the Mennonite Church, his
wife having also been a member of the same.
She was born in Manchester township and she
was summoned into the "land of the leal" in
January, 1897, and was laid to rest by the side
of the husband of her youth, in the Witmer
cemetery. Of the children of this worthy
couple. Susan and Jacob are deceased ; Moses
resides at Stony Brook, being a retired farmer;
David is a cracker baker in York; Samuel died
in Windsor township; Joseph is a farmer of
Lancaster county; Maria is the wife of John
Coneway, of York; Frederick is engaged in
the feed business in the city of York; and
Lydia is the wife of our subject. Mr. and
Mrs. Wineka have had children as follows:
Mary E. died at the age of six years, and is
interred in the cemetery at Sprv: Lillie May,
Mabel Estella, William F. and Charles Stauf-
fer are at the parental home ; Ruth Ellen died
at the age of two years ; and Daisy Belle and
Elsie Irene, twins, and Roy David, Melvin Ed-
gar and Nettie Naomi are the younger mem-
bers of the delightful family circle.

HERBERT FRANKLIN GROSS, M. D.,
was born Nov. 11, 1875, in Newberry town-
ship, York county, a son of Adam H. and
Susan (Abel) Gross.

Philip Gross, his paternal grandfather, was
born in Dover township, York covrnty, and fol-
lowed the trade of shoemaking. He married
Rebecca Holtzapple, who was born July 13,
1 82 1, daughter of Jacob and "Elizabeth Holtz-
apple, and both grandparents died in Dover
township, the grandfather ag'ed eigthy-four
years and the grandmother aged seventy-four.
Both are buried at Strayer's church. They were
most worthy people, respected by the whole
countryside. The children of Philip Gross
and his wife were : Sarah, wife of David
Miller, of York ; Ambrose, deceased, who mar-
ried Leah Ouickel ; Michael, deceased, who



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PEXXSYLVAXIA



45^

married 2vlary Ritchcreek; William, married
to Calisfa Snellbaker, living in Dover town-
ship ; Adam H., father of Dr. Gross; Amanda,
wife of Aug-tist Hoover, of Conewago town-
ship; Jane, deceased, who married Augustus
Hibner ; Calista, who married William Sipe, of
Strinestown ; and one who died in infancy.

Adam H. Gross, father of Dr. Gross, was
born Oct. 2, 185 1, in Dover township, and
there learned the trade of shoemaking. He be-
came skilled in fine work and was employed
thus in Dover for five years, then remo\-ing to
Goldsboro. where he remained for seven years.
In 1868 he located at :Manchester, where he
was first employed by Jacob Rudy, but later
entered into business for himself. As he is a
skilled mechanic he has always commanded a
large trade. In 1868 he married Susan Abel,
daughter of David and Catherine Abel, of
Manchester township, Mr. Abel at one time be-
ing one of the directors of the poor for York
county. Adam H. Gross and his wife had
children as follows: Flora, who died young;
Herbert Franklin; Horace and Minnie, both
of whom died young; William, who married
Fannie Alelhorn and lives in Manchester; An-
nie, married to Arthur Gohn and living in ]\Ie-
chanicsburg, Cumberland Co., Pa., her hus-
band being a York county boy who served in
the Philippines during the Spanish-American
war; Charles, living at home; and Grover C.
who died young.

Dr. Gross was six years old when the fam-
ilv came to Manchester borough, and he at-
tended the borough schools until the age of
fifteen, then taking an academic course at
York. When he was sixteen years old he be-
gan to teach school, continuing thus in 1891-
93, two years at the Brillinger school in East
Manchester township and one year at the Sipes
school. During these years in the schoolroom
he commenced his medical studies and after
this preliminary work entered the office of Dr.
J. C. May, at Manchester, with whom he read
"for one year. In 1895 he entered Jefferson
^Medical College, at Philadelphia, where he
took a four-year course, graduating in May,
T899, the last class that was graduated in the
old building and the first four-years' class from
Jefferson College. Dr. Gross then came to
York to engage in the practice of his profes-
sion and established himself in North York,
opening his olTice on Aug. 7, 1899. He is lo-



cated at No. 1034 North George street. He is
a member of the York County Medical Society,
the Pennsylvania State Medical Society and
the American Medical Association. For three
vears he served as president of the board of
iiealth and in many ways has shown his pro-
fessional ability. He enjoys his full share of
practice at North York.

On Oct. 4, 1899, Dr. Gross was married
to Susan Hocker, a daughter of Adam and
Martha (Shope) Hocker, of Harrisburg,
where the latter still resides. Adam Hocker
was born in Lebanon county, but for many
vears was a farmer of Dauphin county. He
died at Harrisburg at the age of fifty-nine
years, and was buried at Oberlin cemetery.
His children were: Katie, Ella, ]\Iary, Eliza-
beth, Susan and Martha. Dr. and Mrs. Gross
have one daughter, Mae Bee, born July 20,
1902.

Dr. Gross has accepted no public offices
save those of health officer and school director.
He is a Democrat and is a member of the
United Evangelical Church at York. Profes-
sionally he stands well with the 3'ounger gen-
eration of medical men, who by their study and
application are ever making for progress. In
every way he is well equipped for his battle with
disease and death, and his selection as health
officer b}' the borough of North York demon-
strated the value placed on his ideas regard-
ing public sanitation. Thoroughly versed in his
profession, and possessing strong and sterling
characteristics, he has won his way into the
confidence of his fellow-citizens, meeting with
the professional success to which his abilities
entitle him.

HENRY M. SCHMUCK. One of the
most successful business careers to which it
has been the good fortune for residents of
York county to attain is presented in the life
of Henry M. Schmuck, who is a native of Han-
over, and who has already passed the 8ist
milestone of life, possessing in the mellowness
of his ripened years that clearness of eye and
glow of health which bespeak the man of su-
perior force of character. He was born at
Hanover Sept. 26, 1824, son of Joseph and
Christiana (Felty) Schmuck, and is of Ger-
man ancestrv. His paternal grandfather was
Michael Schmuck, of York, Pa., and his ma-
ternal grandfather, Henry Felty, of Hanover,



BIOGRAPHICAL



45,



Pa., was a cavalry officer in the war of the
Revolution.

Joseph Schmuck, the father of Henry M.,
was a man of unusual prominence in the an-
nals of York county, of which he was a native.
In 1812, Joseph Schmuck established the first
English newspaper at Hanover, the Hanover
Guardian, an influential organ in that early
day. His death occurred in 1829, when Henry
Ml was a child of four years.

Reared in the afterglow of his father's
early literary and political career, Henry M.
obtained an excellent education for the time in
which his boyhood days were cast, as a student
of Planover Academy. But his tastes ran to
an active commercial life, and at the age of
seventeen years the foundation of his business
career was laid in the dry goods store of Isaac
Bavtgher, at Emmitsburg, Md., where he re-
mained as a clerk for about six years. Pos-
sessing a desire to acquaint himself with a
broader vision of commercial life he in 1847
went to Charleston, S. C, and for a year was
employed in the house of C. & E. L. Kerrison,
wholesale dry goods dealers. In 1852 Mir.
Schmuck began what for more than half a
century has proved to be one of the most suc-
cessful commercial houses in Hanover, by en-
gaging in the lumber and coal business. In
this he continued uninterruptedly until 1895,
when he retired in favor of his sons. As the
years went by Mr. Schmuck's business affilia-
tions broadened, and he became identified with
many enterprises that have resulted in the per-
manent growth and progress of his native
town. In 1880 he was elected president of the
First National Bank of Hano\-er, which posi-
tion he filled until his retirement from active
life in 1895.

On Dec. 16. 185 1, in Cincinnati. Ohio, Mr.
Schmuck married Miss Amanda Reid, of Cin-
cinnati, a native of Emmitsburg, Md., and the
daughter of Patrick and Justina Reid. To
Henry ;\I. and Amanda Schmuck were born
eight children, namely: Joseph H., who is en-
gaged in the lumber, coal and slate business at
Hanover, the successor of his father ; Blanche
A. : Eugene R., of the firm of Schmuck Bros. ;
Helen V. ; William ; Emma E. ; Minnie C. :
and Perci\-al. Mr. Schmuck is an elder and
prominent member of the Reformed Church.
He has prospered eminently in business, and is
numbered among the foremost citizens of York
countv.



JACOB S. FETRO\\\ who owns much land
hi Newberry township, is living retired in Lew-
i sherry, where he has bought a fine home. He
was born in November, 1867, in Fairview
township, son of Franklin S. and Elizabeth
(Sheelyj Fetrow. Air. Fetrow received a
common-school education, attending school
until his twenty-first year. He then assisted
his father on the home farm for a short time,
later being employed in the Steelton steel plant
for about six months, after which he removed
to Mechanicsburg, Cumberland county. He re-
mained there one year and then located in
Lewisberry, after which he was a farmer in
Newberry township for three years. Return-
ing to Lewisberry borough.' he remained there
but a short time, when he went to Newmarket
for two years, part of which period was spent
in working in the steel plant. He again turned
his attention to farming for two years, after
wJn'ch he returned to Lewisberry, where he has
since lived in retirement. Mr. Fetrow bought
a residence there, which he rebuilt, and he has
a farm of 118 acres, considered one of the best
in Newberry township, upon which a tenant is
fanning. He is also the owner of a fine home
in Newmarket.

In 1894 Mr. Fetrow married Ida Snyder,
daxighter of Peter and Mary Jane ( Sultza-
I)erger) Snyder, of Lewisberry. In his po-
litical belief Mr. Fetrow is a Republican. Re-
ligiously he is connected with the Methodist
Church, while socially he is affiliated with the
Jr. O. U. A. M., No. 1012. of Lewisberry.
Franklin S. Fetrow, the father of Jacob S'.,
was born in Newberry township, and received
his education in the common schools of tttat
township. While a young man he learned the
trade of pump making, which, in connection
with farming, he followed for manv years.
He owned two farms in Fairview township
and also two in Newberry township, besides
other property in Steelton and New Cumber-
land. He died Nov. 17. 1892, aged fifty-seven
years, eight months and twenty-two days. Six
children were born of his marriage with Eliza-
beth Sheely: Samuel H.. John R., Jacob S..
William G.. Clara B. and Jennie S.

Peter F. Snyder, father of Airs. Fetrow,
was born in 1843 i" Alanchester township, son
of Henry Snyder. In 1864, he enlisted in Com-
pany D. 202nd P. V. I., and served for one
year. He married Alary Jane Sultzaberger. a
daughter of Israel and Julia Ann (Brenne-



454



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



rnnn) Sultzaberger, and the following children
were born to them : Edward married Minnie
Sutton, and lives in Fairview township ; John
married Clara Fetrow, and farms in Fairview
township ; Ida is the wife of Jacob S. Fetrow ;
Carrie, who married Charles Erney, lives at
Lewisberry. In 1895 Mr. Snyder bought a
home in Lewisberrv, where he now lives a re-
tired life, having formerly farmed in Fairview
township.

HUGH ROSS, the only son of William
Glenn Ross and Julia Ann (McConkey) Ross,
was born on the old Ross homestead, in Lower
Chanceford townaliip, Dec. 13, 1873. His
early life was spent on his father's farm and
in attendance at the public schools of his na-
tive place. At the age of thirteen, feeling"
the need of better educational facilities, he
went to his uncle's home in Mexico, Mo.,
where he spent two j'ears at school, and in the
fall of 1888 he entered the Princeton Prepara-
tory School at Lawrenceville, N. J., where he
pursued his studies during the next six years.
After this he completed a course of study at
Bryant & Stratton's Business College, Balti-
more, Md. His father having left large landed
interests, he then took up the management of
his farms, which vocation he has since followed
with marked success. Shortly after taking
charge of the home farm, realizing that a tech-
nical education is as necessary in farming as in
any other business or vocation, he took a course
of study in dairying and agriculture at the
Pennsylvania State College. But while de-
vQting himself chiefly to his farming interests,
he has found time to engage in public affairs
and in various other business enterprises.
An ardent Republican, he has never occupied



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 86 of 201)