Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 87 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 87 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


any public office, but at all times exhibited a
keen interest in township and county politics,
and has earnestly striven for honest, econom-
ical government. In 1897 M(r. Ross built a
private telephone line from his home to ^^'ood-
bine and Bridgeton. Realizing the convenience
of this utility to himself, and foreseeing the
day when the rural communities would de-
mand telephone service, he began the erection
of a telephone system covering the territory
from Reel Lion to Delta and between the Ma-
rj^and & Pennsylvania railroad and the Sus-
quehanna river, subsequently incorporating
his system under the title of the Chanceford



Telephone Company, being at present its presi-
dent and general manager. He is also exten-
sively engaged in the canning business, being
secretary of the High Rock Canning Company,
large packers of fruits and vegetables at High
Rock, Pa. He is also largely interested in the
Delta Packing Company, located at Delta,
Pa. ; is also one of the incorporators and di-
rectors of the York Furnace Bridge Company,
the Airville & Delta Electric Railway and other
contemplated trolley roads, by which he hopes
to give the lower end of York county much
needed transportation facilities with York and
other commercial centers.

On June 11, 1901, Mr. Ross married Miss
Alice Reynolds Hoblitzell, who was born Oct.
9, 1874, daughter of James J. Hoblitzell, a
prominent business man of Myersdale. Pa.,
who married Julia Kimmell Hortzell, now de-
ceased.

CHARLES J. DELONE, one of the
prominent attorneys of the York county Bar,
is a native of Hanover, that county, where he
was born Feb. 9, 1863, son of Joseph and
Maria (Hilt) Delone. The Delones are of
French origin, and migrated from Alsace to
America about 1748. They settled first in
Lancaster county, Pa., but subsequently Nich-
olas Delone removed to Paradise township,
York county, where he entered a large tract of
land. Here was born Peter Delone, the pa-
ternal grandfather of Charles J.

Peter Delone received his education in the
subscription schools of the neighborhood, and
throughout life followed the occupation of a
farmer and stone mason. In politics he was a
Whig, and in religion a member of the Cath-
olic Church. He married a Miss Leib, and to
them were born seven children, namely : Hen-,
ry, Joseph, Peter, Lewis, Elizabeth (who mar-
ried Albert Storm), Matilda' (who married
Michael Strubinger), and Mary (who died
single). Peter Delone died in 1856, his wife
preceding him to the grave in 1855.

Joseph Delone, the father of Charles J.,
was born in Paradise township, York county,
and educated in the common schools. In his
youth he acquired the trade of milling, but
early became identified with the live stock busi-
ness, for which he professed a preference, and
in which he won great success, devoting to it
manv vears of his life. He was a man of lib-



BIOGRz\PHICAL



45S



eral mind and superior intelligence, and from
early life took an active interest in public af-
fairs. Attached to the principles of the Demo-
cratic party he was in his early manhood
elected a member of the State Legislature. He
founded, and for many years published at Han-
over^ a weekly newspaper, known as the Han-
over Citizen. The newspaper attained almost
immediate success and became an influential
factor in the politics and education of York
county. Editorially it advocated the principles
of the Democratic party. Mr. Delone remained
in charge for many j'ears, and was in active
politics up to the time of his death in 1883. He
held local office in the borough, and was one of
the leading factors in the growth and upbuild-
ing- of Hanover. He was a devout member of
the Catholic Church, worshipping at the Han-
over congregation. Joseph Delone married
Maria, daughter of Jacob Hilt, and to them
were born twelve children, of whom eight are
now living, namely: Alice, Martha, Leona,
Harry O., Mary, Emma, Charles J. and Jacob
P. Four died very young.

Charles J. Delone in his boyhood attended
the parochial schools of his native village, and
prepared for college under the tutorship of
Prof. L. R. Baugher. In 1883 he entered the
Ereshman class at Harvard University and
graduated therefrom in the Class of 1887.
Entering- the Law Department of the same uni-
versity he completed the three years course,
and graduated in 1890. Mr. Delone practiced
his profession for a year in New York City,
then opened an office in Hanover, his native
city, where he has since been actively and suc-
cessfully engaged in the practice of his pro-
fession. He formerly had an office at York,
and his present thriving business extends well
throughout the county. Li politics Mr. Delone
is a Democrat. He is devoted to the principles
of the party to such extent as his increasing
practice will permit, and he takes an active part
in its affairs in York county. Like his father
he is a member of the Catholic Church.

On April 26, 1904, Mr. Delone married
Helen S. Winebrenner, daughter of D. E.
Winebrenner.

THOMAS M. CURRAN. I\I. D.. one of
the oldest and most esteemed medical practi-
tioners of Hopewell township, whose services
have been given to the citizens of Cross Roads



for many years, was born Jan. 19, 1838, in
Windsor township, York county, a son of-
James and Sarah (Hetzer) Curran.

James Curran, the paternal grandfather of
Dr. Curran, was a native of the North of Ire-
land, where prior to emigrating- to the United
States he was in business as a linen manufac-
turer. His first location in America was
Charleston, S. C, but later he moved to Lan-
caster county. Pa., and embarked in the iron
business at Strasburg, subsequently becoming
the manager of various iron furnaces. His two
children were James and Margaret, the latter
of whom became the wife of Daniel McCurdy.
James Curran, father of Dr. Curran, was
engaged in the manufacture of iron during his
entire life, and was considered an expert in.
the management of the business. His period
was before' the discovery of new and better
methods, and he used the old charcoal furnaces.
of his time. James Curran was a most estima-
ble man, being for a number of years an ac-
cepted local preacher in the M. E. Church and
one of the most active workers in that religious
body. The early flourishing condition of the
church in that locality, its large Sunday-school
and its good effect on the community in general
must be attributed, in great measure, to the
Christian character and example of James Cur-
ran. He was twice married, the children by
his first wife being : James ; Margaret, who mar-
ried Henry Poff, and Annie, who married Mi-
chael Loucks. Mr. Curran married for his sec-
ond wife Sarah Hetzer, and they had children
as follows: Dr. Thomas M. ; Sarah E., who
married Joshua Warfield : Hugh A. ; and ]Ma-
tilda and Virginia, both deceased. The father
died in 1877 and the mother in 1897. She
also was a consistent member of the M. E.
Church.

Thomas M. Curran was educated in the
public schools of his native township and the '
Oxford (Pa.) school, where he was afforded
both literary and medical instruction. After
four years there he entered the medical depart-
ment of the University of Pennsylvania, at
Philadelphia, from which he was graduated in
1867. He first entered the university in i860,
but the outbreak of the Civil war, after one
term there, changed the current of his life for'
some years. He entered the Union army as
assistant surgeon of the 68th P. V. I., but the
duties imposed on the young medico were too



456



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PEXXSYLVANIA



strenuous and his health broke under the strain.
His resignation of the post was accepted, and
after convalescence he settled at Cross Roads,
York county, where he practiced until early in
1865, when he again entered the army. Dr.
Curran was then assigned to Herward Hos-
pital, near Washington, D. C, where he con-
tinued to care for the sick and w.ounde.d until
the close of the war. After his second return
he re-entered the medical department of the
University of Pennsylvania, where he took a
post graduate course. He located permanently
at Cross Roads, where he had made many
friends and where he has since enjoyed all the
practice to which he has been able to attend.
Dr. Curran is known throughout the county,
his advice is in constant demand, and he is in-
vited to consult with the leading physicians
over a wide extent of country. The Doctor is
a valued member of Felton Post, G. A. R. He
has long been united with the M. E. Church.

In i860 Dr. Curran was married to INIary
A. Blake, daughter of Nathan Blake, of Lan-
caster county, Pa., and children as follows
were born to them : James M. ; Carrie, who
married Prof. D. K. Stamey ; O. G. ; Thomas
H. ; and several children who died in infancy.
It has been gratifying to Dr. Curran to have
two of his sons adopt the medical profession,
and their success he has welcomed as his own.
The three physicians are not partners, each con-
trolling a large practice of his own.

James M. Curran is a graduate of INIary-
land Medical College and has been in active
work for the past twenty years. His medical
reading was conducted under his father's su-
pervision and he spent 1880-81 in Bellevue
Medical' College and Hospital, New York, and
the year 1882 at the University of Pennsyl-
vania. He practiced with his father until
1900 and then re-entered the Maryland Medical
College, from which he was graduated. Dr.
James M. Curran is prominent in fraternal so-
cieties, being a 32d degree Mason and a mem-
ber of the K. of P., I. O. O. R, Jr. O. U. A.
M. and Elks. In Masonry he belongs to Getli-
semane Commandery, No 75, of York, Har-
risburg Consistorv, and Zemljo Shrine, A. A.
O. N. M. S.

Dr. O. G. Cl'rran is also a prominent
member rif this meflical family. He has been
in active practice for ten years and is also a
graduate of the Baltimore Medical College.



The name of Curran is, in fact, synonymous
in York countv with eminent medical skill and
a very high standard of citizenship.

EDWARD C. PEELING. The annals of
York county will refer to many fearless men
who have administered the office of sheriff of
the count}% but to none who have done so with
greater fearlessness and efficienc}^ than ex-
Sherifif Edward C. Peeling, whose term of
office expired in January, 1905.

Mr. Peeling was born at Dallastown, York
Co., Pa., March 4, 1859. His education was
received in the public schools of the county,
which he attended until he had accjuired a good
common-school education. After leaving school
he secured a position as clerk in a hotel, and
later went into the hotel business on his own
account, continuing in that line for twenty
years. Thus it was that he developed that ur-
bane character which has made him so popular
in public office. Two of the hotels in which
Mr. Peeling acted in the capacity of proprie-
tor were the "Reever House" and "Hotel La-
fayette," both of York, he having been the
owner of the latter for seven years and proprie-
tor for four years. In November, 1901, he was
elected sheriff of the county on the Democratic
ticket, and two months later, at the beginning
of the new year, he left the hotel business and
assumed the duties of his office.

On ^larch 11, 1879, Mr. Peeling was mar-
ried to ]\Iiss Aggie Miller, daughter of Joseph
]\Iiller, of York. To this union have been born
four children : Gertrude, a graduate of the
York high school ; Maud May, who died at the
age of fourteen months ; Henry Patterson ; and
Nettie F.

Though a Democrat in politics and elected
to office by virtue of the suffrages of that party,
]\It. Peeling is popular among all classes, as he
administers his office for the good of the
whole people. He was absolutely fearless in
the discharge of his duties, and for that reason
holds the respect of all. He is a liberal sup-
porter of the Trinity Reformed Church, of
which his family are worthy members.

Mr. Peeling is of Irish descent, his ances-
tors coming to America from Ireland genera-
tions ago. Robert Peeling, his great-grand-
father, came to America and settled in Vir-
ginia, and his son, James Peeling, grandfather
of Edward C, was the first member of the
family to mo\e to Pennsylvania. He first




^(pCiA/T^Lh^-d , /S




BIOGRAPHICAL



457



moved to Delaware and then to York county,
where tlie family has since resided.

Josiah Peeling and his wife, parents of ex-
Sheriff Peeling, are both living (1906). The
mother was Miss Fanny Craley, daughter of
Christian Craley, a farmer in Chanceford town-
ship, York county. Nine of their twelve chil-
dren are now living : : Edward C. ; Harry A., a
horse dealer of York; James B., proprietor of
the "Hotel Lafayette"' ; Robert D., a clerk m
York; Emma, wife of Charles Kinderfather, a
baker of York ; Dora, wife of Grant Owens, of
York; Flora, wife of Thomas Gore, a sign
painter, of Covington, Ky. ; Fanny, also living
in Covington, Ky. ; and Harvey D., a hotel
clerk.

HENRY McELROY, one of the organizers
uf the Wrightsville Hardware Manufacturing
Company, of which he is manager, comes of a
family of Scotch-Irish ancestry whose Ameri-
can progenitor was Edward McElroy, grand-
father of Henry. He came to this country be-
fore the Revolutionary war, during which con-
flict he operated a ferry across the river at Har-
risburg. . He married in York county, and
there spent the remainder of his life.

Edward McElroy, son of Edward, was a
carpenter and cabinet maker^ and settled in
early manhood at Marietta, Lancaster county,
where he died at the age of ninety-three. He
was thrice married, having, by his first union,
four children : Henry ; Susan, Mrs. John Di'ck-
over, of Wrightsville ; Catherine, Mrs. Eman-
uel Longnecker, of Wichita, Kan., and Em-
meline. Mrs. Georg-e Krump, of Marietta. Ed-
ward McElroy married for his second wife
Anna Sands, of Lancaster county, and her
children were as follows : Edward, of Mari-
etta, Pa. ; John, of Marietta ; Samuel, of Ten-
nessee ; and two others, deceased. To his third
marriage the following children were born :
Elmer, of Lebanon, Pa.; Aaron, of Marietta;
Annie, unmarried ; and one that died in infancy.

Henry McElroy was born in Marietta,
Lancaster county, on Christmas Day, 1837.
His boyhood was spent at Marietta and Har-
risburg, but he obtained little schooling, not
more than three winters' terms of three months
each. His first money was earned doing odd
jobs, and at fifteen he entered the employ of
E. Haldeman & Co. in their blast furnace at
Chickies, Lancaster countv. There he re-



mainerl seven years, rising through the various
grades of the business to the rank of master
machinist. In 1859 he went as master machin-
ist to the Donegal Furnaces in Lancaster
county, where he remained until 1868, when he
came to Wrightsville. The Rohrer Furnaces
were just beginning operations and Mr. Mc-
Elroy obtained a position there as mechanical
engineer and assistant superintendent. He
later became superintendent of the blast fur-
naces, and he retained that position until 1893,
when he resigned to become manager of the
Wrightsville Hardware Manufacturing Com-
pany, of which he was one of the promoters.
In the establishment of this plant Mr. McElroy
was associated with the late Colonel Magee,
Henry Bernstock, Harry Kaufifelt and the late
George D. Ebert.

The Wrightsville Hardware ' Manufactur-
ing Company was established in 1880, with
Colonel Magee as president, and George K.
Shenberger as secretary and treasurer. It was
capitalized at $5,000, and conducted at first
on the co-operative plan. The first foundry
building was 50 x 60 feet in dimensions, and
employment was given twelve molders. The
original building has given place to modern
brick structures, and today about two hundred
and twent3'-five men are employed. During the
first year the output was valued at $17,000;
now it reaches to $260,000. Although Mr. Mc-
Elroy did not become manager until 1893,
he had virtually been in control of the business
since 1888, and at the same time was manager
of the Wrightsville Iron Works.

Mr. McElroy was married in 1858, in Lan-
caster county, to Mary Lockhard, of that
county, daughter of Charles and Mary (Esen-
berger) Lockhard. The following children
were born to this marriage: Annie E., who
is deceased; Mary A., deceased; Harry, master
machinist, secretary of the Wrightsville Hard-
ware Manufacturing Company, married to Ma-
hala Crumling: Catherine, married to Howard
L. Keller, foreman of one of the foundries of
the Hardware Manufacturing Company ; Ella,
married to Reuben Kline, of Wrightsville;
Rutherford A., living at home, a brass pattern-
maker, married to Minnie Hinkle; and Edith,
married to Charles Bernstock, of Wrightsville.

"Sir. ]\IcElroy is a Republican in politics.
He is a charter member of Riverside Lodge,
No. :;o3, F. & A. :\I.. ^^•rightsville. He and



45^



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



his family are members of the ^^'rightsville
■Methodist Church.

ELIAS DIETZ is a prosperous farmer of
Hellam township and a descendant of one of
the old settled families of that part of the
country.

George Dietz, great-grandfather of Elis,
came to this country from Germany, and be-
came the owner of oyer 300 acres of land in
Hellam township, now the property of George
Roff. This land was virgin forest when ]Mr.
Dietz settled on it, and he cleared off the tim-
ber and built a log house for the family home.
He and his wife are buried in the old graveyard
on part of the old farm. It was still forest
when they were laid there.

Grandfather George Dietz was born Nov.
6, 1737, on his father's farm. He was one
of the younger children, and was left an
orphan, without brother or sister, at the age
of nine. He became the owner of another
tract of 300 acres near that which his father
had owned ; this property is now divided into
•two farms, and is owned by Michael Dietz.
Georgt Dietz married Magdalena Smith, who
was born in 1743. They lived and died on
their farm ; Mts. Dietz passed away Jan. 4,
1805, her husband March 10. 1823. They
were members of the Reformed Church. Mr.
Dietz was a Democrat in politics. All members
of the Dietz family in Pennsylvania trace their
descent to George and Magdalena (Smith)
Dietz. Some of the name are settled in Cum-
berland county. The children born to this union
were as follows: (i) George, born June 14,
1762, married Elizabeth Yeagle, born July 8,
1863. He died Aug. 19. 1822. and she died
Nov. 2;^. 1843. They were the grandparents
of William Dietz, of Hellam township, whose
sketch appears elsewhere. (2) Henry, born
in 1764, married !Miss Grestwight, daughter
of a Reformed Church minister. They moved
to Springfield, Ohio, and later settled between
Columbus and Lancaster, Ohio. (3) Conrad,
died March 22, 1829, aged sixty-five years,
eight months and two days. His wife,
Anna M., died Sept. 24, 1854, at the age of
eighty-seven years and four months. (4)
John, born Nov. 5, 1766, died March 21, 1843,
unmarried. (5) Jacob, born Sept. 28, 1768,
died March 21, 1840. He married Magdalena
Leipart, who was born Jan. 12. 1781, and died



Nov. 8, 1846. (6) Peter is mentioned below.
(/) Anna Maria, born ]\Iay 2, 1772, died
March 25, 1842, unmarried. (8) Michael,
born Jan. 30, 1774, died ]\Iarch 31, 1843, un-
married.^ (9) Daniel, born June 3, 1776, died
May 25, 1866, unmarried. (10) Elizabeth,
born in 1779, married Michael Rudy, and died
in Spring Garden township April 20, 1851.
(11) Magdalena, born Oct. 29, 1780, married
George Gohn, who was born April 15, 1780.
He died Eeb. 7, 1861.

Peter Dietz, father of Elias, was born on
his father's farm in Hellam township, Aug. 30,
1770. He grew up on the farm and most of
his education was obtained in the subscription
school of the neighborhood, where the langirage
used was "Pennsylvania Dutch." He remained
at home, carrying on the farm, for se\-enteen
years after his marriage, and in 1825 bought
the farm on which his son Elias now lives.
This originall}^ consisted of 148 acres, of which
sixty acres have been sold to Alfred Bixler.
The substantial stone dwelling house was built
in 181 1, the contractor being David Landis of
York, and the builder David Lepport. In addi-
tion to farming, Peter Dietz for seventeen years
carried on a distillery on his land. The old
still house is standing today, used for a wash
house, and for storage purposes. Mr. Dietz
was a life long Democrat, and held many town-
ship offices. He was a good farmer, and a
highly esteemed citizen, a man of great influ-
ence in his communit}^ He Avas a devout
member of the Reformed Church. Peter Dietz
married. May 8, 1808, Susanna Teison, who
was born Sept. i, 1787. Her father was
Squire Teison, of Windsor township, v.diere he
lived and died. He was for many years a
State Senator, a school teacher and justice of
the peace. For his legislative services at Har-
risburg, he received one dollar a day. His
wife was a native of Lititz, Lancaster county.
Peter Dietz died in April, 1859, and his wife
died April 20, 1871. Their children were as
follows: (i) Henry, born July 3, 1809, mar-
ried Susanna Lehman; he farmed for Daniel
Dietz the old farm that had been his grand-
father's, and there died Oct. 3, 1842. (2) Jo-
seph, born Oct. 28, 1810, married Eliza-
beth Strickler, daughter of Benjamin Joseph
Sfrickler. He settled on a farm owned by his
father nea'" the Spring Garden township line,
and died there in 1894. (3) Peter, born July



BIOGRAPHICAL



459



14. 1812, married Alar}- Leppart, sister of John
Leppart, an old settler, now living in Lower
Windsor, aged ninety-two years. Peter set-
tled on the original Dietz farm which he
hought after the death of Daniel Dietz, and
where he died in the fall of 1902. (4) Sarah,
born Oct. 8, 18 14, married Adam Daron, and
died in Hellam township at the age of twenty-
one, leaving. two children. (5) Daniel, born
Oct. 29, 1816, married Lucinda Deihl, and died
in 1846 on the old Hoover farm, adjoining that
of Elias Dietz. (6) John, born Nov. 17, 1818,
married Eliza Myers, moved to Elkhart county,
Ind., and finall}" retired to Goshen, where he
died in 1901. (7) Susanna, born JMarch i,
1 82 1, married Frederick Sakemiller, and died
in York, April 2, 1893. (8) Elias is mentioned
below. (9) Jacob, born Oct. 3, 1826, who
married Sarah Louch, died in Hellam town-
ship in February, 1893.

Elias Dietz was bom March 8, 1823, on
his grandfather's farm, and when he was two
years old his father moved to the farm on which
he has ever since lived. He began farming in
185 1, taking entire charge on the death of his
father in i860, and w'as active!}' engaged in this
work for fifty-two years, retiring in 1903. His
education was obtained in the subscription
schools at Kreutz Creek Church, and other
places, his principal teacher being William
Stough. Although he went to school until he
was twenty years old, he often had but two
months' schooling in a year. He and his
brothers helped 'their father on the farm, and
when they reached the age of twenty-one,
wages were paid at the rate of seventy-five dol-
lars a year. From his first year's earnings
Elias saved fifty dollars, which he put out at
interest, and in i860 he was able to buy the
home farm. His early wheat crops were all
cut with scythe and cradle, a slow process com-
pared with that of today. He sold his wheat
in York, in the early days ; later he took it to
Wrightsville, and now he markets it in Hel-
lam.

On Oct. 7, 1 85 1, ]\Ir. Dietz married Leah
Rudy, daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Reis-
inger) Rudy. She was born Oct. 31, 183 1,
on the farm adjoining that of her husband in
Hellam township. Her grandfather, Michael
Rudy, came to Hellam from Lancaster county.
His wife was a Shreiner. Air. and Airs. Dietz
are the parents of the following children : f i )



Al'ilton, born April 22. 1853, married Cas-
sie Landis, and died at Columbia, Pa., May

10, 1895. (-) Annie, born July 18, 1854,
died Alarch 9, 1857. (3) Elias Rudy, born
Jan. 10, 1856, married Amanda Shue, and died
in York, Feb. 10, 1898. (4) Leah, born Alay
3, 1857, is at home. (5) Albert, born Sept.

11, 1859, is at home. (6) Reuben, born Aug.
Aug. 10, 1861, is at home. (7) Melinda, born
March i, 1863, died Nov. 16, 1866. (8) Ja-
cob,. bom July 13, 1864, died Alarch 16, 1865.

(9) Lavinia, born June 9, 1866, is deceased.

(10) Ida, born April 12, 1871, is Mrs. Albert
Sechrist of Hellam. (11) Carrie, born July
28, 1878, died July 17, 1895.

Mr. Dietz has never missed voting for a



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 87 of 201)