Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 88 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 88 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Democratic candidate since he cast his first
presidential vote for Polk in 1844. He has
served three years as school director, one vear
as township auditor, and has declined nianv
other local offices. He is a devout member of
Kreutz Creek Reformed Church, to the build-
ing of which he was a large contributor. His
grandfather helped build the original log
church, and his father assisted in the building
of the second church, which was of stone. The
present structure is of brick. Mrs. Dietz is
a Lutheran, but attends the same church as
her husband, as it is a union church. The
Dietz home is a hospitable one, and its owner
is a man of intelligence, widely known and
honored in the community. Air. Dietz keeps
abreast of the times, and enjoys conversing on
topics of current interest.

NATHAX STAAIBAUGH. For the
practice of his profession, veterinary surgery,
Nathan Stambaugh, of Hanover, was well
prepared both by careful study and by practical
experience gained in years of observation
under the direction of his uncle, who had a
wide practice as a veterinary surgeon. Dr.
Stambaugh is one of the leading practitioners
of the profession in Hanover, where he has
been located since 1872. He was born on the
Gettysburg pike, in York county, in 1840, son
of Henry and Leah (Alyers) Stambaugh, and
grandson of Jacob Stambaugh, who nearly a
century ago was a leading farmer and distiller
of Paradise township, York county.

Henry Stambaugh, the father of Nathan,
was born in Paradise township, York county,
in 1813. He married Leah, daughter of Henry
Alvers, who reared a familv of fifteen children.



460



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANL\



of whom three survive, namely : Jacob M.. a
resident of York; Emanuel, a resident of Illi-
nois ; and Amanda, who married Samuel Neis-
ter, of York county. Henry Stambaugh died
in 1S56, at the comparatively early age of
forty-three years; his wife Leah died in 1872.

Xathan Stambaugh spent his boyhood on
the farm and at York Springs, Adams county,
where he remained for fourteen years. Later he
made his home with his uncle, George Stam-
baugh, a veterinary surgeon of Cumberland
county. Pa., under whose direction he studied,
assisting his uncle for three years. He then
engaged in the practice for himself, locating
first at East Berlin, York county, and remov-
ing thence to Hanover in 1872. Here he has
since conducted a veterinary practice which ex-
tends over a considerable portion of York and
Adams counties, a region in which the Doctor
is well known.

In 1872 he married ^liss Catherine Lichty,
of New Oxford, Adams county, daughter of
William Lichty, a well known and hig-hly re-
spected citizen of that town. Their commo-
dious and attractive residence is at No. 30
Baltimore street. Dr. Stambaugh is a mem-
ber of Hanover Lodge, No. 327, I. O. O. F.

During the Civil war Nathan Stambaugh
enlisted in the 165th Regiment, P. V. I., and
served for eighteen months. His regiment
was commanded by Col. Albright, of Schuyl-
kill county, and he participated in the battle
of Gettysburg, besides several minor eng-age-
ments, including one near Norfolk, Va., and
fighting in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia.

JOHN L. MYERS, of Monaghan town-
ship, York county, born Dec. 5, 1852, is a
prosperous farmer and also carries on an ex-
tensive grocery business at Harrisburg.

\\'illiam Myers, his father, was born in
Warrington township, York county, and when
a young man settled in Monaghan township,
engaging in agricultural pursuits in the vicin-
ity of Andersontown. He became one of the
well-to-do farmers of that section, and fol-
lowed farming all of his active life. He was
known for his many good traits of character,
having been honest and upright in all his deal-
ings, and was regarded as one of the good prac-
tical farmers of the township. At the time of
his death, which occurred when he was seven-
ty-se\'en years old, he was li\'ing on the farm
now owned by his son-in-law, Daniel \\'ood,



and his wife, ^largaret (Menges) Myers, died
in 1902, aged eighty-two years. Mr. and Mrs.
Myers were the parents of the following chil-
dren : Levi, Mrs. Elizabeth Kline, Mrs. Caro-
line Stauffer, Emanuel, Mrs. Susan Stauffer,
Mrs. Margaret Laird, William, Mrs. Amanda
Wiood, John L. and Samuel. The parents
were members of the Church of God. ]Mr.
Myers Was a stanch Democrat.

John L. Myers received his education in
the public schools of Monaghan township, and
remained at home until he was twenty-one
years of age. He chose farming as his life
occupation, and has successfully followed agri-
cultural pursuits, making a specialty of gen-
eral farming" and fruit growing; -his farm of
160 acres includes a tract of timberland. In
1898 Mr. Myers embarked in the grocery busi-
ness at Harrisburg, in which venture he has
been eminently successful. He carries a full
line of choice family groceries and farm pro-
duce and receives his full share of the public
patronage.

In 1874 Mr. Myers married Miss Angel-
ine Hyde, the estimable daughter of John
Hyde, one of Monaghan township's prominent
' farmers, and to this union the following chil-
dren have been born: Myrtle B., Charles E.,
Milton P., Rettie E. and Cleveland J. This fam-
ily are members of the Church of God. Mr.
Myers has been long identified with the Dem-
ocratic party and has been called upon to fill
various township offices, in every case serving
the community satisfactorily .and efficiently.
Among the offices he has held may be men-
tioned that of supervisor of Monaghan town-
ship, which he held for three years to the bene-
fit of the township ; for six years he was school
director, and during his terms many improve-
ments ha\'e been made in the system ; he also
served one term as tax collector. Mr. Myers
is a man who deserves the high esteem in
which he is held lay all who know him, and is
generally considered one of the best farmers in
his neig'hborhood.

GEORGE B. CASLOW, who resides at
Seven Valley borough, was born in Spring-
field township, son of Henry Caslow. His
grandfather, Jacob Caslow, was born in Ire-
land, and was a weaver by trade. He came to
America about 1800, settling in Springfield
township, and later removed to Codorus town-
ship, where he died at the age of se\'enty-eight



BIOGRAPHICAL



years. His wife, whose maiden name was
Buyer, was of German descent, and l)otli are
buried in Springfield township. Their chil-
dren were: Henry, Jacob. Daniel, John, Bar-
bara, Magdalena and Samuel.

Henry Caslow was born in Springfield
township March 6, 1811, and is one of the
oldest living residents of York county, being
ninety-five years old. He now makes his
home with his son, George B. He assisted at
liome until the age of twenty-one years, when
he learned the trade of weaving in his nati\'e
township, and went to farming, at which he
continued thirt3^-five years. He then located
in York, where his wife died, after which he
went to live with his son, with whom he has
since remained. Henry Caslow married Cath-
erine Boyer, who died at the age of eighty-
six years, and they were the parents of chil-
dren as follows : George B. ; Elizabeth, de-
ceased; Mar)', who resides at Seven Valley;
and Malinda, Mrs. Ensminger, of Baltimore.

George B. Caslow attended the schools of
Springfield township until he was sixteen
years old, assisting lys father until he \^'■lS
twenty-one, and then went to farming on his
own account for a short time. After that he
kept hotel for two years at Seven Valley bor-
ough, and then engaged on the Northern Cen-
tral railroad as brakeman, later being pro-
moted to conductor. He subsequently en-
gaged in carpentering, cabinetmaking and un-
dertaking at Seven Valley borough, later in
cigar box manufacturing, and then again took
up, farming. He continued this for seventeen
years, in the year 1904 retiring from active
life.

In 1859 Mr. Caslow married Catherine
Krout, daughter of Michael and Mary (Mil-
ler) Krout, both of whom died in Spring-field
township, Avhere they are buried. Mr. Cas-
low is a Democrat, served on the borough
council for nine years, and was school direc-
tor for two terms. He was one of the organ-
izers of Seven Valley borough and is very
highly respected in that part of York county.
He is a member of the Lutheran Church, in
which he is deacon and elder. He was elected
justice of the peace, but would not serve.

ALBERT ALTLAND, owner of a well-
tilled farm of eighty acres, adjoining the bor-
ough of Manchester, has achieved success in
all enterprises which he has undertaken, and
lias held several prominent positions, which he



efficiently filled. He was hern in !\Ianchester
township, Oct. 7, 1855, son of Peter M. and
grandson of George Altland.

George Altland settled in Paradise tnwn-
ship, where his whole lile was spent in farm-
ing. Pie had twelve children, of whom may
be noted Peter M., who is mentioned below;
Samuel, who died in Paradise township;
Martin; Benjamin; Moses; Philip; and Eliza.
Peter M. Altland was born in Paradise
township and received a common school educa-
tion. He learned the blacksmith's trade in Man-
chester township, and continued in that work
for filty-three years. For seven years prior to
his death, which occurred Feb. 28, 1902, he
li\-ed a retired life. He was buried at the Lnion
cemetery. He married Rebecca Xeiman.
daughter of George and Mar}' ( Ruppert )
Neiman of York county. George Xeiman was
born in Conewago township and was a pros-
perous farmer. He was buried at Quickel's cem-
etery in that township. His wife Mary died at
the age of sixty-seven years. The children
born to theiji were; Catherine; Sallie; Eliza:
Elizabeth, who married Newton Shettle and
resides in York; John; George; Mary; Re-
becca, the mother of our subject; Lovina:
Samuel; Adam; Susan, who married Jacob
Rudy, and resides at Steelton, Dauphin coun-
ty; and Leah, who married William IMetzger
and resides at Steelton. After his first wife's
death, Mr. Neiman married Kate Eisenhart,
and they had no family. She died in Cone-
wago township. The mother of our subject
is still living and resides in Manchester bor-
ough. To Peter Altland and his wile the fol-
lowing children were born : Emma J. married
William Blessing, and li\'es at York Haven,
York county; William N. married Emma
Flinchbough, and he died in 1899, and was
buried at the Union cemetery at Manchester ;
Albert; E. N. married Daisy — , and re-
sides in California, where he is extensively en-
gaged in the fruit growing business.

Albert Altland attended school at r^Ian-
chester borough until eighteen vears of age,
when -he was taught the blacksmith's trade by
his father, which he followed for about fif-
teen years in connection with farming. In
1887 he gave up his trade to devote his whole
time to agricultural pursuits, and besides his
own fine eighty-acre farm in East ^lanches-
ter township, he farms his mother's farm in the
limits of the borough.

In 1 88s ^Ii'- Altlanrl married Emma [.



462



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Strominger, daughter of Rankin and Rebecca
(\\'ertz) Strominger, of Newberry township.
After his marriage he located on his farm in
East Manchester, where he remained until
1895, when he came to Manchester boroug'h,
where he is still engaged in farming. To him
and his wife three children have been born :
Gertie, a graduate of the Patricks Business
College, class of 1902, is at home; Leon P.
resides at home ; and Rebecca May died at the
age of four years, and was buried at the Union
cemetei"y. Mr. Altland is a Republican in poli-
tics, and for three years was school director,
and for six years councilman. In religion he
is connected with the Lutheran Church. Al-
bert Altland' is favorably known and regarded
Avith high esteem all through York county, as
was also his father, Peter M. Altland.

JAMES M. GROVE, whose rise in the
business world has been little short of phe-
nomenal, is president of the Glen Rock Stamp-
ing- Works, general manager of a large shirt
factory, and is identified with other man-
ufacturing interests of Shrewsbury town-
ship. His start in life was made with practi-
cally no means, and the success he has attained
is due entirely and solely to his own energy
and foresight. Mr. Grove was bom Dec. 2,
1862, in Shrewsbury township, son of Sam-
uel and Susan (McAbee) Grove.

The paternal grandfather of James M.
Grove was John Grove, a farmer of Shrews-
bury township. His children were : Samuel ;
Lewis; Leah; John; Charles; James; Marga-
ret, who married Christopher Baker; Lydia,
who married George Fisher; and Elizabeth.
John Grove was a devout member of the Re-
formed Church. Both he and his wife were
buried at Shrewsbury. The maternal grand-
father, David McAbee was a railroad man.
His children were as follows : William ;
Thomas ; Jessie ; James ; John ; Susan, the
mother of our subject; and Elizabeth, who
married William. McCubbins. David McAbee
was buried at Zion Church, Baltimore county,
Maryland. The McAbee family were mem-
bers of the M. E. Church, and most active
workers of that denomination.

Samuel Grove, the father of James M.,
was reared on the farm, and spent his whole
life in agricultural pursuits. In politics he
was connected with the Democratic party, in
Avhich he was a hard worker. He was called



upon to fill numerous township offices, and
served capably and satisfactorily as school di-
rector, tax collector, supervisor of the town-
ship, and in other offices. 'He was a member of
the Reformed Church, and for several years
served as a member of the official board. He
married Susan McAbee, and their children
were as follows : Albert, deceased ; Eli, de-
ceased; James M. ; Saloma; Irvin; Elizabeth,
wife of Charles K. Myers; Leonard C. ; Lillie,
deceased ; Milton, deceased ; and Irene. The
wife and mother died July 22, 1905, aged
seventy-seven years, but the father lives and
resides in Shrewsbury township.

James M. Grove attend'ed the public schools
of Shrewsbury township, and supplemented
this with a course at Shrewsbury Academy.
After leaving there he worked on the fann and
spent his leisure hours in fitting himself for
teaching. At the age of twenty he began
teaching" in Hopewell township, where he re-
mained for two years, going from there to
Railroad borough, Shrewsbury township,
where he remained seven years. He then en-
tered the employ of D.,Levy & Sons, where he
remained for two years as manager of their
shirt waist factory. He learned all the details
of the business and came to Glen Rock, where
in 1 89 1, after consulting several business men,
he started a shirt factory. When he embarked
in the business, Mr. Grove employed twenty-
five female hands ; at the present time the com-
pany gives employment to from 125 to 150
skilled employees. The factory is 100x54 feet
and is thoroughly equipped with modern ma-
chinery and good office fixtures. The prod'uct
is men's shirts, and the average output one
thousands dozens of shirts per week. The fac-
tory runs the year round, and all work is done
by contract, the goods practically being sold
before being manufactured. Mr. Grove is gen-
eral manager of this concern, and owns a one-
third interest.

Among Mr. Grove's other interests, he is
a stockholder in the Glen Rock Stamping
Works, and is president of the incorporated
company, which was originally org^anized in
1898, as a partnership between I. F. Grove,
L. C. Grove, Charles H. MacCally, G. W.
Gible and George M. Gantz. In 1900 Mr.
Grove bought Mr. Gible's interest, and the re-
maining partners bought out Mr. Gantz, and
the company was incorporated with a capital
of $25,000, at which time James M. Grove



BIOGRAPHICAL



463



was elected president of the firm. This is now
in a flourishing condition and the duties of
president are ably fiUed by Mr. Grove.

Mr. Grove served as school director one
term, councilman of Glen Rock one term, and
was chairman of the ordinance committee,
which committee was appointed to frame a
ne\\- ordinance for the town. Mr. Grove be-
came interested in the study of music when
sixteen years of age, and was a member of the
Reformed Church choir at Shrewsbury, as well
as the Shrewsbury band. When he located in
Glen Rock, he became an active member of the
Glen Rock Musical Association, which mem-
bership he still maintains. Fraternally he
affiliates with the Knights of Pythias, while
his religious connection is with the Reformed
Church and was superintendent of the Sun-
day school at Shrewsbury and has been a
teacher for many years.

When twenty-eight years of age ]Mr.
Grove married Miss Emma Diehl, daughter of
Adam and Anna (Tyson) Diehl, of Shrews-
bury township, and they have had two chil-
dren, Austin L. and ^Nlyra A.

GEORGE SUNDAY, a* retired farmer of
Hanover, has won his present comparative
leisure by the activity of his younger years,
during which he was engaged both as a farmer
and an artisan in the development of York
county, continuing a habit of industry inher-
ited from an honored and prosperous ancestry.
Mr. Sunday was born in Jackson township,
York county, near Paradise, Jan. i, 1836, son
of John and Esther (Stambaugh) Sunday,
and grandson of Jacob Sunday, who was also
a native of York county.

John Sunday, the father of George, was
born in York county, in October, 1808, and
throughout his useful life he followed the vo-
cation of a farmer. A Democrat in political
faith, he was elected to the office of supervisor,
and held other local offices of responsibility.
In religious faith he was a member of the
Lutheran Church. Esther Stambaugh, his
wife, was born in Paradise township in 1810,
the daughter of John Stambaugh, a member of
the Holz-Schwamm Lutheran Church, and
buried in the graveyard of that Church. To
John and Esther Sunday were born seven chil-
dren, as follows : Elizabeth, now widow of
^^'illiam Stephen; Margaret, widow of George
Straley; Wihiam F., of East Berlin; George;



John, of East Berlin; Henry J., a resident of
the same town; and Sarah J., who married
Conrad Winters. The father died in 1864,
and the' mother passed away in January, 1891.

George Sunday was reared on the farm,
where he remained until seventeen years of
age, attending the district schools and assist-
ing in the work on the farm. He then acquired
the carpenter's trade, serving a three years'
apprenticeship. Upon its completion he re-
turned to his father's farm where he remained
for three years. After his marriage in i860
he followed his trade until 1863, when he re-
moved to the old Sunda}' homestead where he
remained three years. Then renting a farm
in Adams county near Berlin, he remained
five years. McSherrystown, to which he next
moved, was the place of his longest residence,
for he remained there nineteen years, after
which he conducted the "Eagle Hotel" at Xew
Oxford for six years. In 1895 ^^^- Sunday
removed to Hanover, where he erected a sub-
stantial and commodious brick dwelling on
East Middle street, in which he and his family
have since resided.

Mr. Sunday was married in August, i860,
to Anna Reeling, who was born in Germany,
Nov. 15, 1834, the youngest daughter of
Charles and Saphrona (Sonocolp) Reeling,
and ^\'ho when but six months old was l^rought
by her parents to .\merica. To ■Mr. and Mrs.
Sunday have been born the following children :
Jenny M., who married (first) C. S. Ruth
(deceased), and (second) M. D. Feiser; ^Nliss
Ida L., at home; Anna Laura, wife of C. T.
Hershv proprietor of the "Eagle Hotel" at
New Oxford; Charles A., of McSherrystown;
George H., a cigar maker, of Midway, York
county. Mr. and j\lrs. Sunday have three
grandchildren : Helen L. Ruth, Elton S. Ruth
and Charles Brown Sunda}'. This estimable
couple are consistent members of St. [Matthew's
Lutheran Church, and are highly regarded
throughout this and adjoining counties.

DETRICH HILDEBRAXD, a resident
of Springfield to\\nship, was born there Nov.
10, 1 83 1, son of Caspar Hildebrand.

]Mr. Hildebrand's great-grandfather came
from Germany to America and settled in
York county. His son. Caspar Hildebrand,
was a lifelong resident of York county, where
he married a woman named Cramer, and both
died near Loganville, being buried at Bupp's



464



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Union church. Their children were : Daniel,
John, Frederick, Henry, Caspar, Joseph and
Peter, all deceased.

Caspar Hildebrand the father of .Detrich,
was born in 1797 in Springfield township
about two miles west of Loganville. He was
educated in German. He learned the shoe-
making trade, after working for his father,
and followed the trade a number of years at
Loganville. For ten years prior to his death
he lived retired, and he died at the age of
eightv-five years : he was buried at St. Peter's
Reformed church, in Spring-field township.
He married Susan Ness, a daughter of Jacob
Ness, and a descendant of an old family of
Pennsylvania, and she is buried in the ceme-
tery with her husband. The children born to
Mr. and JMrs. Hildebrand were : Aaron, who
died at the age of three years ; Detrich ; Will-
iam, who died at the age of eight years ; and
Anna Maria, the wife of Adam Seitz, of York.

Detrich Hildebrand received his education
in the common schools of York county, which
he attended until the age of fifteen years. Un-
der his father he learned the shoemaking trade,
at which he is still engaged. In 1868 Mr.
Hildebrand was elected justice of the peace,
and he is still holding that office. He mar-
ried Anna Maria Leader, daughter of Charles
and Sallie (Hildebrand) Leader, and she died
in 1893 ^^ the age of fifty-nine years, being-
buried at Salem Church, Springfield township.
The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Hildebrand
were: Dr. Charles G. ; Dr. Robert A., a grad-
uate of the Baltimore Medical College, and
now successfully practicing at Glen Rock (he
married Lucy Storman) ; and Annie A., mar-
ried to M. M. Snyder, the bandmaster of
Loganville.

Mr. Hildebrand is a Republican in politics
and served the borough as school director,
chief burgess and councilman. He is a mem-
ber of the Reformed Church, in which he has
been deacon and elder.

S. B. BRODBECK, of Brodbecks, York
county, vice-president of the People's Bank of
Hanover, Pa., and a well-known business man
in Codorus township, located at the place which
bears his name, was born in the borough of
Jefferson, Codorus township. May 21, 1851,
son of George S. and Leah (Bossert) Brod-
beck. .

George Brodbeck, grandfather of S. B.,



lived and died on his farm near Jefferson bor-
ough. He was also a distiller. George S. was
his second child, the others being Daniel, An-
drew, Jesse, Polly, Amanda and Elizabeth.

George S. Brodbeck was born on the old
homestead and remained on the farm until
1852, wdien he engaged in the mercantile busi-
ness at Brodbecks and followed it very suc-
cessfully till his death, Oct. 17, 1874. He was
also postmaster there, and in addition served
as- treasurer of Codorus township for a num-
ber of years. A member of the Reformed
Church, he w-as for a long time leader of tne
choir at the "Stone Church." In every w-ay
he was a prominent man in the community, and
his death was felt to be a great loss. He is
sur\-ived by his widow, ]\Irs. Leah ( Bossert )
Brodbeck, a daughter of Samuel Bossert. She
still resides at Brodbecks. They had only two
children, S. B. and Elizabeth, the latter the
wife of Jacob F. Krebs.

S. B. Brodbeck received his education in
the township school, and then in a graded
school in Glen Rock, taught by Prof. Gray.
When his studies were completed, he entered
his father's store, of which he had entire con-
trol after the death of the latter. He was thus
engaged till 1892. when he sold out to the pres-
ent proprietor, Mr. Barbehenn. From 1874
Mr. Brodbeck also was postmaster and still
holds that position although through his vigor-
ous efl^orts the office was transferred in 1881 to
the Western Maryland Railroad station at
Green Ridge, the railroad company since
changing the name of the station to Brodbecks.
His present interests are very extensive in
other lines. He is a heavy dealer in grain, feed
and fertilizer, besides running a large creamery
at Green Ridge. His average w^eekly output
of butter is 3,000 pounds, while during the
summer season he disposes of 3,000 gallons of
ice cream a week, his market being mainly in
Philadelphia and Baltimore. The creamery is
a building 24x124 feet, with an ice house ad-
joining that is 22x50 feet. In September,
1905. he installed a 50-horse power boiler in



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 88 of 201)