Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 89 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 89 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


his plant. Mr. Brodbeck is also one of the pro-
moters of the People's Bank of Hanover, and
in 1903 he was chosen vice-president of the in-
stitution. The bank has a capital stock of
$50,000 and the surplus and undivided profit
are $43,000. Few men in the township are a;
active in business lines as Mr. Brodbeck, and
he is one of the best citizens of th§ region.



i




yd' C3 (13 r?-^'^^^^^^^^ - ^



BIOGRAPHICAL



465



S. B. Brodbeck was married, in 1875, to
Eliza Jane, daiigliter of Jacob and Eliza (Get-
tier) Weaver, of Manchester, Carroll Co., Md.
They have had a large family, viz. : Rosa,
wife of J. R. Krebs; George W., station agent
at Brodl3ecks ; Lettie ; Sadie ; Annie, who died
young"; Lizzie; Samuel; Melvin; and Florence.
Mr. Brodbeck possesses many admirable traits
of character, and is of a genial and friendly
temperament, ready with a kind word for every
one. In politics he is a Republican, and he now
holds the office of township treasurer. A mem-
ber of the Reformed denomination, he served
on the building" committee, for the erection of
the "Stone Church," and is active in its work.
His home is a handsome structure erected in
1892, and Mr. Brodbeck also owns seventy-
five acres of fine land in Codorus township.

TITUS S. SNYDER, extensively en-
gaged in milling in York county, and also a
prominent member and president of the R. F.
D. Association of Pennsylvania, was born in
the county in 1867, son of Jacob H. Snyder.

Jacob H. Snyder was a miller by trade
and in his earlier life was so engaged in Lan-
caster county. Later he moved to York coun-
ty and operated successively Newman's, Alli-
son's, and Menges's mills, in the last one be-
ing a partner of P. H. Menges. He was then
for eight years in the flour and feed business
in the city of York, and since giving that up
has resided in Manheim township. ,He mar-
ried Mary A. Bahn, daughter of Samuel T.
Bahn, and they had children as follows : Titus
S. ; Jacob, a farmer in Manheim township,
who married Miss Wentz ; ^V. Harvey, who is
employed at Baltimore as a carpenter for the
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, and who married
Miss Hetrick ; Frances, wife of Albert Hamm,
of York ; and Samuel, of York, employed as
a fireman on the Northern Central Railroad.

Titus S. Snyder received his education
mainly in the township schools, but in the
spring of 1888 he spent one term at the Millers-
ville State Normal School. On his return
home he was employed by S. B. Brodbeck, in
charge of the produce department, but eight
months later, in 1890, his father-in-law died
and Mr. Snyder gave up his position to take
control of the mill which the former had car-
ried on during his lifetime. It was an old
structure and much run down, but l\Ir. Snyder
has improved and built it up till it is one of



ths finest mills in the county. He handles
largely western grain, and both buys and sells.
During 1904 he handled 1,564 tons of feed,
9,993 tons of corn, and 1,905 tons of oats, all
western products. In 1896 he built an addi-
tion to the mill, two stories in height, 110x30
feet. Plis mill is located at the station of
Greenridge, on the Western Maryland Rail-
road, and he has also a hydraulic cider press,
a gasoline engine and a 20-horse power engine
and boiler. At one time Mr. Snyder also
owned and operated a mill at Glenville, but this
he sold to W. Taylor. During the summer of
1898-99 he superintended the erectic^n of
hydraulic cider presses for an Ohio firm. Mr.
Snyder also owns 225 acres of well-improved
farm land.

On July I, 1903, Mr. Snyder undertook the
duties of a R. F. D. carrier from Brodbecks
post office, and is still thus occupied. He has
from the first taken an active part in the car-
riers' associations and for two years was presi-
dent of the County Carriers' R. F. D. Associa-
tion. In 1904 he was chosen vice-president of
the State Association, and Aug. 3, 1905, at
York, was elected president of the same, being
(the only officer of the preceding year who was
retained on the official roll, and his election
elicited great enthusiasm.

Mr. Snyder has found an admirable help-
mate in his wife, whose maiden name was Elsie
A. Heindle, daughter of Emanuel W. and
Sarah A. (Dubs) Heindle. Their children
are: Annie, Emanuel, Erna, John, Earl,
Margie, Geoi'ge and Paul. Mr. Snyder is a Re-
publican in politics and a Lutheran in religion,
belonging to the "Stone Church," where he is
acti\'e in all departments, having served as
deacon, president of the Christian Endeavor
Society for seven years, and teacher in. the Sun-
day-school. Fraternally he is a Mason, be-
longing to Patmos Lodge, No. 348, of Han-
over.

LOUIS P. BROCKLEY. In few branches
of commercial life does discriminating" judg-
ment count for so much as in the purchase of
cattle and horses. The most indifferent suc-
cess would crown the efforts of the cattle buyer
devoid of that qualification. Few men, if any,
it is said at Hanover, possess better judgment
in the handling and buying of horses and cattle
than Louis P. Brockley.

Mr. Brockley is a native of York county.



466



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



He was born on the Baltimore Pike, in West
Manheim township, three and a half miles
south of Hanover, April i, 1843. son of An-
thony and Elizabeth ( Nunnemaker) Brockley.
The boy was nurtured in the sterling virtues.
Anthony Brockley was a German emigrant,
who was born in Baden, and in the Fatherland
obtained a good common school education. In
his eighteenth year he emigrated to the United
States, and here pursued his trade of weaver.
Industrious and frugal, he won for himself a
position of solid worth. In the new country
Anthony Brockley married Elizabeth Nunne-
maker, born in York county near Hanover in
1822, daughter of John and Rebecca Nunne-
maker, prosperous people of this county. To
Anthony and Elizabeth N. Brockley were born
nine children, six boys and three girls, namely :
John ; Louis P. : Samuel ; Joseph ; LIrias ; Sa-
villa ; Isadore, who married Henry Delone, of
Hanover; Emma A., who married James Noel,

a resident of Waynesboro, Pa. ; and .

Anthony Brockley was an old time Democrat,
but never courted office. He was a devout
Catholic. He died in 1874, and was buried in
the Catholic cemetery at Hanover. His wife,
who survives, is a member of St. ^Matthew's
Lutheran Church.

Louis P. Brockley was reared on the farm.
For a time he attended a pay school, and later
the district school at Emmitsburg, Md., for
two years. He then returned to the farm and
assisted his father until the latter's death.

In 1870 Mr. Brockley married Mineta,
daughter of Benjamin and Mary Lippy. The
young couple settled in Hanover. Mr. Brock-
ley began to deal in stock, in which he was
cpite successful. He purchased a farm of 136
acres in Conewago township, which he sold in
1903. During all this time he was actively
engaged in dealing in cattle, which he shipped
to various markets, and for a time was one of
the principal feeders of the neighborhood. He
also deals in sheep, his principal markets being
Baltimore and New York. Mr. Brockley
makes a specialty of buying export cattle, a
branch of the business in which he has been
eminently successful. ITe is a director in the
Hanover Stock Dro\'ers" Company, which was
organized in 18S2, and also a director of the
Baltimore and Flarrisburg Railroad; and a
stockholder and director of the Hanover Sav-
ings Fund Company. In politics he is a Demo-
crat in national questions, while in State af-



fairs he votes independently. He and his wife
are members of Emanuel Reformed Church.
Mr. and Mrs. Brockley have one child, Carrie
May, a graduate of Dickinson College, and
also of the W^omen's College at Frederick, Md.,
and now the wife of William D. Carver, as-
sistant cashier of the National Bank of Han-
over.

WILLIAM F. UFFELMAN, of Chance-
ford township, York Co., Pa., is a practical as
well as a professional farmer. All the years
of his life have been devoted to agricultural
pursuits, and he is proud -to be recognized as a
member of the great brotherhood of hard
workers. His birth occurred in 1868, on the
farm he now owns.

Frederick Uffelman, the father of our sub-
ject, was born in Bremen, Germany, and came
to the United States about 1863, landing at
New York City, from where he made his way
to Chanceford township, York Co., Pa., taking
up a tract of land, where he farmed until his
death, in 1873.

William F. Uffelman received his educa-
tion in the public school of his township, being
reared a farmer boy. After leaving school he
went West learning the butcher's trade with his
brother in Iowa. After three years he returned
home, and took up farming, later buying his
present farm. Mr. Ufifelman has always been
known for his honesty and integrity. He is
loyal to the country and his friends, hates trea-
son or hypocrisy in either public or private life,
and is prompt to speak for the truth and right
as he sees them. He is an uncompromising
Republican. Mr. Uffelman married Miss
AVorkinger, a daughter of Samuel Workinger,
of Chanceford township.

Frederick LTffelman. brother of William
F., and a member of the well-known firm of
Grove and Uffelman, of Parke Station, Chance-
ford township, was born on the home farm at
Brogueville, Aug. 7. 1872, and from the age
of six years to sixteen he received his educa-
tion in the public schools of that section. He
began clerking at the age of twelve years, in
the store of his present partner, who then kept
a general store at Brogueville. AA'hile clerk-
ing in the store during the summer months, he
attended school in the winter. He was em-
ployed at the main store for two years at
Mtiddy Creek Forks, and when the branch
was opened at Parke, Mr. L'ffelman was put



BIOGRAPHICAL



467



in charge of it, and the present new store was
built in 1899.

Frederick Uffehnan was married, June 30,
1892, to Sadie B. Grove, a sister of his partner,
and they are both members of the New
Harmony Presbyterian Church. In politics he
is a Republican. Mr. and Mrs. Uffelman are
the parents of the following children : Annie
Olive, Harry T., Carl F., Gordon and Howard.

FRANK X. KUHN, contractor, builder
and dealer in fine monuments, Italian anc(
granite, Hanover, Pa., is more than a success-
ful business man of that thriving city. The
large force of men he has constantly kept em-
ployed under his direction, added to his own
untiring energy, have made his contributions
to the modern structiu'es of the city particularly
impressive.

Mr. Kuhn was born at Irishtown, near
Conewago, York county, in October, 1851, the
son of Henry and Mary (VVeirick) Kuhn. The
father was born in St. Mary county, Md.,
\\here for many years he engaged in the mer-
cantile business, and afterwards in the manu-
facture of brick. He is still living, a resident
of Irishtown, in the 87th year of his age. His
wife, Mary, who was also a native of Mary-
land, died in 1896.

Frank X. Kuhn acquired a good knowledge
of the common branches in the public schools
of Irishtown, which he proceeded to turn to
account as a teacher, beginning c[uite young
and continuing for eight years, five of which
were at Bush Run. But it soon became ap-
parent to the young school teacher that for his
active temperament a broader field of effort
was desirable. In 1878 he came to Hanover
and for a time engaged in stone cutting. It
was not long before he was contracting and
building in a small way, and by the interest
and energy he placed in his work he rapidly
established himself as a practical business man,
and in his vocation he has steadily grown in
prominence. For years he has been recognized
as one of the leading- contractors of Hanover,
and he has erected many of the finest structures
in the city. Among these ma}' be mentioned
the High Street School building, the Academy
building, Trinit}' - Reformed Church, the Peo-
])le"s Bank of Hanover, and the Catholic
Church at McSherrystown. Among the private
residences which have been constructed under
his supervision are those of Messrs. John S.



Young, E. Forney, and Temple J. Little, and
among his monumental works Mr. Kuhn's
line including the best grades of Barre, Quincy,
Westerly and other granites and marbles — may
be mentioned the Daniel Burnet and the Victor
O. Bold monuments. ■ Mr. Kuhn does an ex-
tensive business in preparing building stone
and furnishing granite wherever desired. He
is the contractor for the St. Vincent's Catholic
Church, the cost of which is estimated at $40,-
000. Mr. Kuhn employs from thirty to fifty
men, who are loyal to his best interests, which
they find by experience are their own interests
as well. Because of this enthusiastic harmony
and co-operation between Mr. Kuhn and- hi.s
men the most effective work results.

In 1878 Mr. Kuhn married Miss Annie
Stock, of Gettysburg, a daughter of Andrew
and Barbara Stock. A family of nine children
ha^-e been born to them, five boys and four
girls, the two eldest sons being Charles A., and
Jasper A. Mr. Kuhn is a member of the
Knights of Columbus, and also of the
Heptasophs.

DAVID B. GOODLING, of Loganville
borough, and engaged in the manufacture of
high grade cigars, was born Feb. 29, i860, son
of Peter Goodling. L'ntil he was nineteen
years of age he attended a school under his
brother, E. B. Goodling, and the school of his
township. Later, for two terms, he was a
teacher in Springfield township, and in 1882
engaged in his present occupation, the manu-
facture of cigars. His factory is No. 1367,
Ninth District, and he gives employment to
twenty-five skilled workmen, his goods being
sold throughout the Lhiited States. The an-
nual output of Mr. Goodling-'s factory is over
1,500.000 cigars, the buildings being 24x36 and
20x16 feet, well ecjuipped, and under the per-
sonal management of their owner. Mr. Good-
ling gives his special personal attention to his
manufactory, and perhaps it is this that has
made him one of York county's successful
business men.

In 1881 Mr. Goodling married Emeline
Sprenkle, daughter of William antl Lydia
(Stine) Sprenkle, and they ha\'e these chil-
dren : Cora Agnes, who married ^^'illiam H.
Smith of Loganville, and Clytus L., who is at-
tending the State College near Bellefonte,
Center county. i\Ir. Goodling is a stanch
Republican and has been very active in politics.



468



HISTORY OF YORK COUxNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



He has been school director and councihnan and
held many minor offices. In 1902 he was a
candidate for the State legislature, but was de-
feated. Fraternally he is connected with the
Masonic order, Shrewsbury Lodge, No. 423,

A. F. & A. M., Royal Arch Chapter of York,
No. 199, and Gethsemane Commandery, No.
75, K. T., of York; with the B. P. O. E., of
York, No. 213, and the P. O. S. of A. He is
interested in other business ventures besides
his cigar manufactory, prominent among them
being the Guardian Trust Co. of York, of which
he was one of the organizers and original
directors, being still a member of the direc-
torate. Lie is also the owner of the ancestral
home, containing sixty-four acres and located
in Spring-field township, York county.

HON. CHARLES MATTHEW KERR,
of Wrightsville, where he has passed the
greater part of his life, is a son of Matthew
(Jr.) and Julia (Thompson) Kerr, and was
born at the homestead in Wrightsville Feb. 27,
1867. He attended the public schools in his
native town and finished his schooling at the
age of seventeen, under Prof. Gardner, who
had been his first teacher. He then took a six-
months course at the Eastman Business Col-
lege, in Poughkeepsie, N. Y., on the comple-
tion of which he removed to ^Vinona, Minn.
There he obtained the position of shipping clerk
in the lumber yard of Laird, Norton & Co.,
one of the largest lumber firms in the North-
west. After a year with this firm he and John
L. Harris, also a Wrightsville boy, went into
partnership on a sheep ranch in Deuel county,
S. Dak., twenty-five miles south of the Sisseton
Indian Reservation. Tliere Mr. Kerr remained
'intil 1890, when he sold his interest to Mr.
Harris and returned to Wrightsville to enter
the firm of Kerr Brothers, at this time com-
posed of his father and one of his uncles.
When they withdrew the firm was reorganized,
the partners being Charles Matthew Kerr. H.

B. Kerr and B. Frank Beard, and the name be-
coming Kerr Bros. Company. Mr. Kerr has
ever since been identified with the firm, and is
known as an energetic business man.

On Nov. 7, 1897, Mr. Kerr married at
Wrightsville, Blanche McConkey, sister of
Senator E. K. McConkey. One child has been
born to this union, Charles M., Jr.

Mr. Kerr is a Democrat and an active poli-
tician. He took a great interest in party af-
fairs before going West^, and in 1891, the year



after he returned, was sent as a delegate from
Wrightsville to the county convention. In 1895
he was nominated for the State Legislature,
and led his ticket in the fall election of that
year. He was renominated and re-elected in
1897. He fs a member of the Presbyterian
Church of Wrightsville, where his father and
grandfather before him were members and of-
ficers. He is well known in fraternal circles,
being a member of Riverside Lodge, No. 503,
F. & A. M., Wrightsville, the Chapter and
Commandery at Columbia, and Chihuahua
Lodge, I. O. O. F. Mr. Kerr has won his
position and success by dint of steady persever-
ance and energy, by unfailing integrity and
righteous dealing.

F. MERLE ALTLAND. This is dis-
tinctly the age of the young man. Never be-
fore was it possible for a man whose span of
life was less than four decades to attain to posi-
tion of influence and authority in the social,
municipal or business life of a community.
Among the young men of York county, who
have won success early in the mercantile world,
none has attained a higher place than F. Merle
Altland, of Dillsburg, whose own intrinsic abil-
ity and unwavering integrity command for him
the respect and admiration of all men.

Mr. Altland is a native of Cumberland
county. Pa., born in Mechanicsburg May 18,
1874. He attended the public schools until he
was fourteen years of age, and then entered the
Business School of Commerce at Harrisburg,
from which he was graduated. Well-equipped
with a theoretical knowledge of business prin-
ciples, he began his experiences in the com-
mercial world as a salesman for Hench &
Dromgold, manufacturers of agricultural im-
plements at York. Though only a boy in years,
he proved his worth and remained with that
firm two years. In 1892 he came to Dillsburg,
and became a salesman for his brother, A. D.
Altland, in the sale of fly nets, horse collars,
saddlery, harness, etc. Here, as before, his
natural talent for business and his genial man-
ners gained for him many friends. He hus-
banded his resources, and in five years (1897)
purchased his brother's stock, since then suc-
cessfully conducting the establishment on the
public square, corner Baltimore and Harrisburg
streets. His stock is a good one, selected with
care and discrimination, and his methods of
doing business are above reproach.

Mr. Altland is by nature a social man, and



BIOGRAPHICAL



in his fraternal connections is deservedly popu-
lar. He is a member of the B. P. O. E. Lodge,
No. 5/8, Carlisle; Heptasophs Conclave, No.
306. Dillsburg; I. O. O. F. Lodge, No. 215,
Mechanicsburg; O. U. A. M., No. ^2^, Dills-
burg. In his religious belief he is a Presby-
terian, and holds membership in the First
Church.

On Oct. 16, 1894, Mr. Altland was mar-
ried to Miss Alice Brunhouse, of York, and
they have three children, Catherine, Daniel and
Frederick.

ROBERT SMITH MAGEE, of Wrights-
ville, who is largely identified with the business
interests of his localit}', was born on the home-
stead where he now resides, Aug. 29, 1869.
Mr. ]\Iagee commenced his schooling at the
age of six years, under Professor Gardner,
formerly county superintendent of schools, at-
tending school until seventeen years did. For
the next few years he was associated with his
father in the insurance and survey business,
managing- it much of the time, in the absence
of his senior. He then started to attend the
York Collegiate Institute, but was obliged to
leave college to attend to business. In 1895
he was appointed postmaster by President
Cleveland, in which capacity he served until
July, 1899, carrying on his business at the same
time. In 1896 the Columbia Embroidery Com-
pany was moved to Wrightsville, and Mr.
Magee purchased stock in the establishment,
serving in the capacitor of secretary and treas-
urer until 1900. In association with Grant S.
Tinsley he then purchased the entire stock of
the company, and they have continued
under the same name up to the present
time. Mr. Magee is a stockholder in the
Wrights\'ille Hardware Company, and in 1895
bought the largest hardware stock in town from
J. S. Moul, selling it in 1901 to Shutter
Brothers, and again securing it at a sheriff's
sale in 1903. In addition to these enterprises
Mr. Magee still carries on the insurance busi-
ness.

In February, 1902, Mr. Magee was elected
justice of the peace, to serve five years. Fra-
ternally he is connected with the F. & A. M.,
Riverside Lodge, No. 503, being at the time
of his initiation the youngest member of the
lodge. He belongs to the Mystic Shrine and
Consistory at Harrisburg, having attained the
thirty-second degree, and is a member of Cyr-



ene Commandery at Columbia. He is also a
member of the Military Order of the Loyal
Legion of the United States, Commandery of
the State of Pennsylvania, and is a valued
member of the York County Historical Society.
He has always been a Democrat in politics,
and cast his first vote for President Cleveland
at the time of his second election.

MOSES J. OLEWILER was born in
Lower Windsor township, March 25, 1868,
son of Leonard E. and Theresa Olewiler, the
parents both residing in York retired from
active life.

When Moses J. Olewiler was only two years
old his father moved to East Prospect, and
there the boy attended school until he was
eighteen. The father was a store-keeper and
a cigar manufacturer and the son began clerk-
ing for him, also working in the cigar factory.
When he was twenty-one he went to Freeport,
111., to visit an uncle and remained there a" short
time. Returning home, he was married in 1891,
and for a year afterward was engaged in rais-
ing tobacco in East Prospect. The following
year he commenced the cigar business there,
later spending seven years at Red Lion in
charge of a bakery. Since 1898 he has given
his exclusive attention to making bricks and has
besn very successful. In that year he bought a
brick-yard which Zarfoss & Mate had started
four years previously. Mr. Olewiler has put
in the best modern machinery, has enlarged the
plant every year and is now erecting another
kiln. The present plant has a daily capacity
of 35,000 bricks, but owing to a scarcity of
help, the output is only about 25,000. Es-
sentially a selfmade man, Mr. Olewiler's suc-
cess has been due not alone to his untiring in-
dustry, but also to his honesty and invariably
fair dealing.

Mrs. Olewiler was a Miss Mary Margaret
Gehly, daughter of John C. Gehly, of Windson
township. She has borne her husband two
children — Claude E. and :\Iary. Mr. Olewiler
was brought up in the Evangelical belief, as
was his wife, and still adheres to that faith.
In politics he is a strong Republican, and active
in local affairs and he has twice filled minor
township offices most acceptably.

JAMES FULTON, who for half a century
was one of the substantial merchants and lead-
ing citizens of Stewartstown, Pa., was born in



470



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



llcpewell township, York county, Pa., Dec. 19,
1829, and passed c]uietly away at Avon Park,
Fla., Dec. 29, 1894. The parents of the late
James Fulton were Hugh and Jane (Creswell)
Fulton. The father was a farmer during his
active life, operating in Hopewell township
and becoming- quite successful. The follow-
ing- children were born to himself and wife :
David : Robert ; Alice, who married John
Green ; Sarah, who married Henry Kurtz ;
James ; and Agnes, -wdio married Giles Green.

When a boy James Fulton attended the
township school, and as was the custom worked
upon his father's farm. So thoroughly did he
prepare himself, taking advantage of every edu-
cational opportunity, that he was able to pass
the examinations necessary before he could
teach, and for several years was a popular



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 89 of 201)