Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 90 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 90 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


teacher during the winter months. Later he
clerked in the general store of Joel Metzler,
and during the time he was in that gentleman's
employ mastered all the details of the business.
As soon as he was able the enterprising- and
ambitious young man founded a store of his
own at Stewartstown, at first on modest lines,
but as his trade grew he made enlargements
until he became one of the leading merchants
of the place. As his sons advanced to maturity,
he first received them as clerks in the business,
and later took them into partnership, under the
Hrm style of James Fulton & Sons.

Not only was Mr. Fulton a successful and
progressive merchant, but he was prominent
in other concerns of Stewartstown, having been
one of the organizers and president of the
Stewartstown Bank, holding the latter office at
the time of his demise; he was a stockholder
and director of the National Bank of York,
Pa., and a charter member and president of the
Stewartstown Railroad Company. In a word,
few enterprises were projected and advanced
with which he w-as not connected for many
years prior to his death, his superior executive
ability and sound business sense being fully
recognized.

In church matters Mr. Fulton always took
an active part, being- connected with the Pres-
byterian denomination ; for a long time he was
a memljer of the official board and teacher in
the Bible class of the Sunday-school. His
contributions were liberal to the church and
to all worthy movements, and Jiis ]jri\'ate cliari-
ties were numerous, although unknown to the
world at large.



On Oct. 6, 1853, Mr. Fulton was united in
marriage to Margaret Griffith, daughter of
William and Mary (Baird) Griffith, of Hope-
well township. Ten children were born of this
happy marriage: William H., Thomas B., Cal-
vin C., Lovell R., Annie M., Mary J., Eliza-
beth (married to C. Leib), Nellie G, Isabella
and Emma A. Mr. Fulton's death was a dis-
tinct loss to Stewartstowai, and his many
friends still mourn him and remember his many
excellent qualities. Public-spirited, generous,
kind-hearted, he was a prominent and popular-
man, and bore more than his share of the com-
mercial and municipal advancement of the
borough, where for over fifty years he played
so important a part.

The family of Mrs. Fulton is an old and
honorable one, of Welsh extraction. Her
father, William Griffith, was born and reared
at Baltimore, Md. For many years he was a
successful merchant of that city, but later re-
moved to Hopewell township, York Co., Pa.
His family by his first wafe, Mary Baird, con-
sisted of children as follows : Annie, wife of
William Arthur; Margaret, Mrs. Fulton;
Thomas B., and Matthew M. Mr. Griffith was
twice married, the maiden name of his second
wife being Elizabeth Hammond. By her Mr.
Griffith had the following named children:
Stewart ; William ; George K. ; John L. ; Mary,
who died in infancy ; James ; and Sallie, w-ho
married James Hendricks.

The sons of the late James Fulton inherit
many of the traits of their revered father,
and are numbered among the enterprising busi-
ness men of Stewartstown. Their business is
in a flourishing- condition, showing a steady and
healthy annual increase. They take a practical
interest in the growth of the town, and are
worthy descendants of the man who was so
honored by its citizens. Mrs. Fulton is a lady
of sweet. Christian character, wdiose many ex-
cellent qualities endear her not only to her fam-
ily, but to a large circle of admiring friends.

GEORGE N. LECKRONE was born in
Dillsburg, York county, Nov. 22, 1839, son of
Leonard and Hannah (Nesbit) Leckrone.
George Leckrone, the grandfather, was also a
native of York county and a prosperous farmer
of Dover township, the owner of a farm of 150
acres. His wife's maiden name, was Wolf.
Both died at the old home in Dover township,
being buried in Loucks' graveyard. The chil-



BIOGRAPHICyVL



47 r



^ dren born to them were : Jacob, Joseph,
Leonard, Anthony, Eva, Lydia, Catherine,
Mary and Adam.

. Leonard Leckrone was born in 1 8 1 2 in
Dover township and received a common-school
edncation. He learned the tanner's trade at
East Berlin, Adams connty, wdiere he remained
six years, also learning the coppersmith's trade.
He then went to Dillsburg, where he engaged in
business for live years, and then came to Do^-er
township, where he engag'ed in the tinning busi-
ness in conjunction with farming. Later Mr.
Leckrone came to Dover borough, where he fol-
lowed his trade until his death, which occurred
in 1864, in his fifty-second year. He was
buried in Loucks' graveyard. Mr. Leckrone
married Hannah Nesbit, and she died at Dills-
burg, her burial place.

George N. Leckrone was the only child
born to Leonard and Hannah Leckrone. He
spent his early life on the farm,, and when six-
teen years of age removed to Dover borough,
where he was assistant postmaster for six years.
Mr. Leckrone has a fine home and nineteen
acres of land, which he now farms, situated
within the borough named.

In 1885 Mr. Leckrone married Mary Nei-
man, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Fer-
rence) Neiman, of Conewago township, and to
them children as follows have been born : Claud
M., Bertha A., Pansy and Samuel Eli, all of
whom died young and are buried in the Dover
cemetery ; George Webster, a bright young- boy
of seven years (1905) ; and Horace W. Mr.
Leckrone is a Democrat, has been councilman
nine years, and served as treasurer six years.
Li his religious belief he is a consistent mem-
ber of the Reformed Church, in which he has
served as deacon and teacher of the Ger-
man class in the Sunday-school. He is a
representative farmer of Dover township, and
is one of its most honest and upright citizens.

WILLL-VM J. ARNOLD, of Peach Bo't-
tom township, was born in Fairfield, Lancas-
ter county, Oct. 20, 1831, to Wjlliam and
Julia Ann (Barnett) Arnold. Little is known
of Mr. Arnold's forefathers, but it is probable
that his paternal grandfather was killed at
cush Furnace, in Maryland, by the explosion
of a cannon which he was testing.

William Arnold, father of William J., was
given a common-school education. Li his ma-
ture years he was employed as manager of



Brown's slate quarries antl held that position
until a few years before his death. In 1851 he
moved to the farm on which his son, William
J., now resides. He had purchased it in 1838,
installing his family there during that year,
and they remained upon the place until 1842.
When, as stated, he again moved upon the
farm, in 1851, it was his intention to operate
it in connection with a mercantile business,,
but he died in the following spring — May 20.
1852 — and the property fell to his son.

William Arnold was thrice married. By
his first wife, formerly Sarah McFadden, to
whom he was united July 3, 182 1, he had one
son, Thomas, who died in 1873. On May 13,
1823, he married Katherine Cassady, and they
had one daughter, Marg'aret C, now Mirs.
Jesse Poteet. He was united to his third wife,
Julia Ann Barnett, Sept. 20, 1827. Mrs. Ar-
nold survived her husband until April 6, 1864,
and both are buried in Mt. Nebo cemetery.
Peach Bottom township. Fourteen children
were born to this union, as follows : Gilbert
T., who died in Chicago, Feb. 3, 1858; Aman-
da M., born April 24, 1830, who married
Samuel Kyle; William J.; James A., horn
March 24, 1833; Ephraim, born Nov. 3, 1834;
Edwin P., born June i, 1836; Oliver C, born
Nov. 23, 1837; Samuel, born Sept. 9, 1839,
who died in infancy, as did also David, born
March 10, 1841, and Leander, born April 25,
1843; Charles E., born Oct. 8, 1845; Joseph,
born Aug. 6, 1848; Nancy Jane, born Sept.
14, 1846, and Hugh A., born Feb. 26, 1852.

William J. Arnold was educated in the
public schools of Lancaster and York counties.
Pa., and of Cecil county, Md., and attended
school until he was nineteen. For a few years
following he worked on a farm, and then was
employed at ^farious capacities, as auctioneer,
clerk ill a mercantile establishment, in the
quarries, and on the canal. After his father's
death he returned home, took charge of the
family and has ever since been eng-aged there in
farming. A lifelong Republican, Mr. Arnold
has been active in politics and has held a num-
ber of local offices of honor and trust, all of
which he has filled most acceptably; a director
on the school board for six years, he has also
served as township auditor for nine years, jus-
tice of the peace for sixteen years (and still
holding that office), has been inspector and
clerk of elections several times, and in 1900
was employed as census enumerator for the



47^



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



southern part of Peach Bottom townshii^ and
the borough of Deha. Mr. Arnold was a
charter member of the local Jr. O. U. A. M.
and has been an honored member e\'er since.
He has also belonged for nineteen years to the
I. O. O. F.

On Nov. 1 8, 1858, Mr. Arnold was mar-
ried to Miss Amanda Priscilla Brosius, daugh-
ter of Abner and Letitia (Wilkinson) Bro-
sius, of Lancaster count}'. To this union five
children have been born, namely : Isaac Clin-
ton, a practicing lawyer in Lancaster, who mar-
ried Lucy Harris and has two children — Har-
ris and William B. ; Ephraim Willard, em-
ployed by the Northern Pacific Railway Com-
pany at Portland, Ore. ; Alice R., who mar-
ried William Henry Evans, a farmer of Peach
Bottom, and has one daughter, Elizabeth ;
Clarence E., who married Louise V. (Thomas;
Rugg, daughter of J. H. Thomas, a lawyer
in San Francisco, Cal. ; Mabel B., who is
teaching near Philadelphia. Mrs. Arnold is a
Quaker, but her husband has no pronounced
religious views.

Beginning with April 12, 1857, Mr. Ar-
nold beg-an to record the minutest details of
each day under the title of a "Land-Lubber's
Log Book," and has kept it carefully from that
time until now. He has been successful in his
farm management, and his place of sixty-six
acres, a portion of which is in timber, is in
very good condition and reflects much credit
upon the owner.

SAMUEL P. CASKEY was born in Dru-
more township, Lancaster Co., Pa., Feb. 18,
1824, son of John and Hannah (Hickey)
Caskey.

John Caskey, his paternal grandfather, was
a native of County Derry, Ireland, where he
was engaged in farming. He was the, father of
nine children, seven sons and two daughters :
William, who died in Baltimore; Samuel, who
died in the West; Joseph, who died in Peach
Bottom township, York Co., Pa. ; Robert, who
died in New Market, Baltimore Co., Md. ; Da-
vid, who died at the age of eighteen in Peach
Bottom township; a son who died in infancy;
John, father of Samuel P. Caskey ; Mary, who
married Richard Nelson, and died in Lancas-
ter county; and Elizabeth, who married Ed-
ward Breece, of England, and lived in Balti-
more, Md., but she died in Philadelphia, while
on a \isit.



John Caskey (2) was born in Hopewell
township Jan. 10, 1795. He was given a com-
mon school education and then worked as a
farm laborer. Later he bought the place where
his' son now lives, and was engaged there in
farming until his death, Nov. 25, 1863. He
was buried in Slateville cemetery, as was also
his wife, who died March 2, 1871. Mrs.
Caskey was Hannah Hickey, daughter of Tim-
othy Hickey, of Wales, and their marriage oc-
curred about 1 818. They became the parents
of four children: (i) Elizabeth J. died at the
age of eighty-one years. (2) Robert married
Miss Amelia Preece, and of their four children
two are living, John Grant and Elizabeth P.
The last named married William Chenoweth,
and had nine children : Arthur ; William ; John ;
Ameha; Edgar; Floyd; Roberta, who died in
1884, aged seven months, twenty-five days;
Harry Milton, who died in 1898, aged thir-
teen years, seven months ; and Mary Mabel,
who died in 1895, aged four months. (3) Sam-
uel P. is mentioned below. (4) Joseph died'
Sept. 2, 1875, at the home of his brother Sam-
uel P.

Samuel P. Caskey attended the public
schools in Peach Bottom township until he was
twenity-one, and then worked for his father
until the latter' s death. The farm then became
his property, and he has ever since been en-
gaged in its cultivation. He was married, Jan.
3. 1878, to Mrs. Margaretta (McConkey)
^Viley, daughter of Andrew and Letitia (Ram-
say) M'cConkey, of Peach Bottom township.
Their married life was not of long- duration, as
Mrs. Caskey died April 25, 1880, and was
buried in the Slateville cemetery.

Mr. Caskey is a member of the Slateville
Presbyterian Church, in which he was for thir-
t}' years a trustee and is now an elder; he
hauled the first load of stone for the founda-
tion of the church, in 1849. He belongs to the
I. O. O. F., and has been noble grand, trustee
and treasurer. A Democrat in politics, he
served one term as judge of elections, but has
never sought to hold office. Mr. Caskey is a
man of good standing in the community, where
he has held for many years the respect and
confidence of his fellow-townsmen.

CORNELIUS STRAYER, a prosperous
farmer of Windsor township, is a native of
that vicinity, born Jan. 23, 1854, on what is
now called the John Wise farm, near Red Lion.




Sf rt/^^u-c*^ ^CcU/t^



BIOGRAPHICAL



473



He was the son of Joseph and Harriet
Strayer and is descended from a family of
agriculturists for several generations back.

Jacob Strayer, grandfather of Cornelius,
passed his life on a farm near Loganville,
and there died. He and his wife were the
parents of the following named children:
Harry: Katy, Mrs. Henry Howard; Elizabeth,
Mrs. Brillhart; Sarah, Mrs. Henry NefT, of
York township; John; Jacob; Joseti>h; Mrs.
Henry Grove; Dinah, Mrs. Noah Seitz, and
Daniel. Mrs. Xefif only is alive.

Joseph Strayer was born on the Logan-
ville farm, in 1828, and, like his father, was
a hfe-long farmer. For some time he worked
on the family homestead. He was then em-
ployed on the John Wise farm, which he
bought, later mo\'ing to other property which
he had acquired, and operating it until his
death in June, 1899, at the age of seventy-two.
He married Miss Harriet Raymer, who was
born and reared near his own birthplace, and
they became the parents of four children : Cor-
nelius; James Henry, of Windsor township,
who married Miss Amanda Smeach ; Melinda,
Mrs. Titus Grove, of Chanceford township;
and William A., of Windsor township, who
married Miss Ellen Smeach. Mrs. Strayer
died Feb. 21, 1905, aged seventy-five years,
and twenty-six days. Joseph Strayer was all
his life a strong supporter of the Republican
party, while in his religious belief he was a
member first of the Evangelical, and later of
the United Evangelical Church.

Cornelius Strayer was six years old when
he began his schooling, but while he attended
from that age until he was eighteen, he was
able to enjoy only three months each year, al-
though the full terms were four months. ' He
went to the Miller school and was first taught
by Valentine Gable, his last instructor being
Thomas Stewart. From early boyhood he had
worked hard for his father on the farm and
remained with him one year after his marriage.
He was twelve years old when Joseph Strayer
moved to his later home near Bethlehem
Cliurch, and had reached the age of twenty-six
when he next located on the Samuel Sprenkle
farm, which he bought and which has been
his home ever since. The place consists of
sixty acres of fine land, with good buildings,
and Mr. Strayer carries on general farming-
there with most successful results.

In 1879 occurred the marriage of Corne-



lius Strayer to Miss Julia Ann Miller, of
Windsor township, the daughter of David and
Rebecca (Gohn) Miller. Four sons have been
born to this union: William A., Scott E., Ir-
vin C. and Charles H,, all at home. Mr.
Strayer is a Republican in his politics, and has
served three years as tax collector. Although
not a member, he attends the United Evangel-
ical Church. A self-made man, he has forged
his way steadily ahead, until his thrifty man-
agement and industry have gained their just-
reward, not only in material success but in the
respect of his fellow townsmen. He was one
of the organizers of the Farmers and Mer-
chants Bank of Red Lion, and was elected to
the oftice of president, having filled that posi-
tion since the bank was incorporated in 1903.

J. GRANT WALLACE, of High Rock,
was born there March 28, 1865, son of John
T. and Millie Ann (Gibson) Wallace. James
Wallace, his grandfather, died in Hopewell
township.

John T. Wallace, the father, was born in
1826 in Hopewell township, and during most
of his life was a farmer, but for a time op-
ei'ated an oil-mill and owned a gristmill at
High Rock, which he had formerly used as a
sawmill. His death occurred Nov. 2, 1890,
in his sixty-fourth year. His wife, Millie A.
Gibson, who was born in Hopewell township,
daughter of Robert and Millie (Durris) Gil>
son, died in 1901. They were the parents of
the following children: Robert G., of Hope-
well township; Katie, married to David Col-
lins, of Hopewell township; Annie, married to
R. E. Smith, of Chanceford township; Nettie,
wife of Samuel .Collins, of Stewartstown ; J.
Grant; Margaret and Emma (twins), the
former married to H. C. Manifold, of High
Rock, and the latter to William J. Reed, of
Chanceford township ; Andrew, of . Collins-
ville, who married a Miss Tosh; William G.,
of High Rock; Thomas, married to a Miss
McDonald ; Samuel, of Allegheny, who mar-
ried a Miss Barnett ; Elizabeth, who married
Harry Grove ; and Florence, residing" in High
Rock'

J. Grant Wallace received his education
in the public schools and the Pleasant Grove
Academy, continuing his education until he
was twenty-two years of age and \A-orking as
a farmer until five years ago, when he began
■clerkino- for H. C. INIanifold, becoming his



474



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



partner in the spring of 1904. They started
business under the firm name of Manifold &
Wallace, and bought property upon which they
erected their store, a creamery, a warehouse
and two dwelling-s. Air. Wallace is a stock-
holder with his partner in the new canning
factory which was erected at High Rock in
1904.

In 1889 j\Ir.' ^\'allace married Alaggie AIc-
Alister, daughter of William N. McAlister,
and two children have been born to them, Nel-
lie May and Alatti? Gibson. The family are
connected with the Hopewell U. P. Church.
Mr. Wallace is a stanch Republican, and has
always taken an active interest in the success
of his party. Further, he is a well known and
very popular citizen of High Rock, his up-
rightness of character, his genial manner and
his friendly spirit ha\-ing attracted many sin-
cere friends.

HARRY WEBSTER POSEY, M. D.,
who has built up a large practice in Sunny-
burn and adjacent villages, was born Oct. 17,
1865, at Monmouth, Warren county, 111., son
of David and Mary (Groft) Posey. His
father was born in Cecil county, Maryland,
and received a common-school education there
and in the schools of York county. Pa. For a
time he clerked in the mercantile store of John
Baer, at York Furnace, and then removed to
Monmouth, 111., where he engaged in mercan-
tile business for himself, later returning- to
York Furnace, where he became associated
with John Baer under the firm name of Baer
& Posey. After Robert C. Baer was admitted
the firm became John Baer & Co., and Mr.
Posey continued with this company until his
death, in 1882. Mr. Posey was a Republican
in political sentiment. He married Mary
■Groft, of Lancaster count^•, who died about
1884.

Harry Webster Posey attended the country
school at York Furnace until seventeen years
of age and then entered Millersville State Nor-
mal School, at which he spent one year. He
then commenced clerking in John Baer & Scfti's
store, at which he continued four years. Under
his uncle, Dr. M. A. Posey, of Collinsville,
Harry W. Posey read medicine, and he en-
tered Jefferson Medical College in 1890, being
graduated with the class of 1893. He im-
mediately began practice at Sunnyburn,
where he has since been very successful as a



general practitioner of the regular school of
medicine. Dr. Posey is not only held in the
highest esteem by the profession, but by the
public in general. His present fine property,
bought in 1901, is known as the Elizabeth Ann
Scott farm, and consists of 130 acres. Dr.
Posey is a stanch Republican.

In 1888 the Doctor married Miss Maggie
A. Riale, daughter of John and Ann (Bar-
icker) Riale, and one child has been born to
the union, Chester R".

HENRY E. HILDEBRAND, of Glen
Rock, Shrewsbury township, is one of the
town's leading citizens and is a descendant of
one of York county's old pioneer families.

The authentic record of the Hildebrand
family reaches back as far as Felix Hildebrand,
the great-great-grandfather, a farmer of Hope-
well township, who was buried at Sadler's
church. His son was Adam, who followed his
father's occupation at the same place and who,
with his wile, was also buried at Sadler's
church.

Jesse Hildebraad, grandfather of Henry
E., was a farmer of York county. He was
married twice and reared a large family. His
first marriage was to Leah Stermer, by whom
he had the following children : Artemus ;
Amos; William; Jesse; Frank; Susanna;
Rose, who married S. K. Diehl ; Eliza, de-
ceased; Marjr, married to Henry Smith; Kate,
who married John Althouse ; and Maggie. By 1
his second wife, Sarah Stermer, the sister o|
his first wife, he had one child. Belle, who i|
deceased.

Williani Hildebrand, the father of Heni^]
E., was a farmer and died when the latter wa
three years old. In religion he was a membe
of the Reformed Church. His wife was Lou^
isa Smith, who was a daughter of Henrji
Smith, a farmer of York county who emi-'
grated from Germany. The children born to
him were : Henry ; Annie, who married
George Diehl; Mary, wife of Henry Seaks;
Louisa, the mother of Henry E. ; Kate, who
married Augustus Sonneman, and Charlotte,
Mrs. Henry Schaffer.

Henry E. Hildebrand attended the public
schools and, until the age of twenty-three
years, worked on the farm of Jacob Neuhaus.
In February, 1891, he removed to Glen Rock,
where he engaged in the manufacture of fur-
niture, as a partner in the Enterprise Furniture



BIOGRAPHICAL



475



Co., which business engaged about thirty-five
hands. In 1895 Mr. Hiklebrand entered into
partnership with James M. Grove in the In-
dustrial Sewing- Machine Company, the former
being the machinist of the firm. Mr. Hikle-
brand has other business interests, being a
stockholder in the Glen Rock Stamping Com-
pany, and having mining interests in the Mex-
ico Gold Mine Company.

Mr. Hildebrand married Lizzie Bowman,
daughter of John Bowman, of Hopewell town-
ship^ and five children have been born to them
— Paul, Lloyd, Louise, Marie and Roy. Mr.
Hildebrand has been a member of the council,
being in that body when the water-works were
built. His religious connection is with the
Reformed Church. He is a progressive, public
spirited man, and a most worthy representative
of the old pioneer stock of which York county
is justly proud.

ISAAC J. BRENDLE. Favorable en-
vironment is not essential to success in life.
This truism has been demonstrated many
times. An excellent example of the fact is
furnished by the life of Isaac J. Brendle, one
of the energetic and experienced business men
of Hanover. Bereft of parents at a tender age
and reared among strangers, Mr. Brendle
thoroughly accjuired the details of the business
in which he is engaged, then started for him-
self a few years ago at Hanover, and he has
since steadily risen in the ranks of the mer-
chants of that city. For a number of years he
was manager of the High Street Produce
Company, which was established in 1897 by
himself and C. S. Newman, and at present
holds the same responsible position with the
Pennsylvania Produce Company, .which is
owned by New York parties.

Mr. Brendle was born in Lancaster county.
Pa., in 1867. After the death of his parents he
went to Philadelphia, where for a time he at-
tended school and later was employed by the
Electric Lighting Company of that city. It
was in Philadelphia that he learned the produce
business. He was there employed for nine
years by J. H. Kellar, who conducted a large
produce business, and he acquired a complete
knowledge of all departments. In 1897 liv.
Brendle came to Hanover and associated him-
self in business with C. S. Newman, as a part-
ner in the High Street Produce Company.



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 90 of 201)