Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 91 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 91 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


The Iniilding in which their business is C(jn-
clucted is 28x60 feet in size, with three sepa-



rate warehouses equipped with improved stor-
age facilities. Mr. Brendle acted as manager
of the company from its formation until his
appointment to superintend the even more im-
portant interests of the Pennsylvania Produce
Company, and he is recognized as a keen and
active business man, who, although a resident
of the citjr for comparatively a few years has
already won a prominent standing in the mer-
cantile world. Mr. Brendle is married to Miss
Anna Ebersole of Lancaster county. They
have four children — Harry, Walter, Irene and
Louisa. Mr. Brendle is a Republican in poli-
tics.

WILLIAM G. KRAFT, manufacturer of
and dealer in flour, grain and feed, and pro-
prietor of the Heidelberg Roller Mills. Por-
ters Sideling, York Co., Pa., was born Feb.
3, 1864, in Jefferson borough, son of Jesse
Kraft, a representative of one of the old fami-
lies of York.

The great-great-grandfather of William G.
Kraft, was born on the ocean, when his parents
were emigrating to America. They settled in
Baltimore, where they landed.

Frederick Kraft, great-grandfather of Wil-
liam G., was born in Baltimore Dec. 6, 1773,
and was proprietor of a hotel there until 1810,
when he came to York county. Pa., and found-
ed the town of Kraftstown, which since the
days of President JefTerson ha.s been called
Jefferson. He died July 20, 1836.

George Kraft, son of Frederick, was ten
years of age when his parents removed to Jef-
ferson. He was married in 1823 to Mary
Loucks, and soon afterward commenced teach-
ing. Subsequently he removed tO' Manheim
township, and continued teaching, also engag-
ing in mercantile business. He remained in
Manheim some ten years, and then returned
to Jefferson and opened up a general store,
being associated in business with his son-in-
law, Jacob Spangler. He later retired from
active business, and was so living at the time
of his death, in 1868, at the age of sixty-eight.
He was a prominent Democrat, and at one
time represented his district in the State Leg-
islature. His wife died in 1872. They were
the parents of the following named children :
Jesse; Albert, deceased; ^Margaret, who mar-
ried George Snodgrass. now deceased ; Leran-
da, deceased, wife of Jacob Spangler, of Hei-
delberg township.

Jesse Kraft, son of Gerjrge and father of



476



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



William G., was third in the order of birth in
the above family, and was born in Manheim
township Aug. 5, 1828. His early life was
passed in assisting his father, and he received
his education in the schools of the neighbor-
hood. He farmed for about ten years near Jef-
ferson, and then exchanged his farm for the
Mummert Hill property, lying in Heidelberg
township, where he lived actively engaged in
farming and milling until 1888, when he re-
tired, and since then has made his home with
his son, William G. He was a prominent
member of the Lutheran Church at Jefferson,
and has been deacon and elder at different
times for the last forty odd years. In politics
he is a Democrat, but not active in party work.
In 185 1 Mr. Kraft married Lucinda Baugh-
man, of Manheim township, and they became
the parents of the following" children : Emma,
wife of Levi Bange, of Glenville, Pa. ; Alice,
wife of George Wagner, of Spring Grove;
George H., who married Clara Weind, and is
in the hardware business at Spring Grove;
Sarah, wife of Albert Moul, of West York-
borough ; Mary M., wife of Daniel Klinedinst,
of West York borough; McClellan B., who
married Lizzie Gladfelter, and is the telegraph
operator and station agent at Spring Grove;
William G. ; Annie E., wife of Howard Jones,
of Spring Grove; and Ella L., wife of John
E. Senft, of Menges Mills.

William G. Kraft attended the township
schools until nineteen years of age, and then,
with his father, learned the milling business,
beginning on his own account in 1886. He
rented the mill from his father until 1892, in
which year he purchased it, and established the
roller process, his mill being equipped with all
the latest machinery. He is the manufacturer
of the well-known "Pride Brand," and has a
large business, finding a market for most of
his goods in Baltimore and New York City,
the remainder being disposed of among the lo-
cal trade.

Mr. Kraft married Miss Emma Garrett,
and they have one son, Ira C, who is attending
school. Mr. Kraft is a Democrat, and for a
number of years served as township treasurer.
He is a member of the Lutheran Church at
Jefferson borough.

JOHN A. LEHR, formerly a prosper-
ous farmer of Manchester township, was born
there April i, 1863, on the old family home-



stead, which had been in the family for many
years. Through his father, Adam, he was
descended from the grandfather, John, and the
g-reat-grandfather, Casper Lehr.

Adam Lehr was torn in 1829 on the home-
stead, where he remained till he was sixtv-
seven years of age, engaged in farming. He
then moved in the same township to where he
is now living a retired life. Mr. Lehr was
twice married, first to Miss Sarah Free, daugh-
ter of Adam Free, of York county. She died
in 1865, and was buried in Prospect Hill cem-
etery. She was the mother of children as fol-
lows : One that died in infancy ; Lucinda,
Mrs. Adam Stare, who died at the age of
twenty-two; Philip, a farmer in Conewago
township, who married Miss Lydia Hoover;
Adam, who married Miss Ellen Lehr; Bar-
bara, who died July i, 1905, the widow of
John Croes, of South Dakota, who died Dec.
25, 1900; Albert, married (first) to Miss
Mary Strickler and (second) to Miss Vinetta
Metzel, by occupation a farmer near York
ana, and a teacher in York county for twenty-
one years, mainly in Manchester township ;
and John A. The second wife of Adam Lehr
was Miss Sarah Lecrone, daughter of Leonard
Lecrone, of Manchester township. The chil-
dren born to this union were : Sarah, who
married John A. Koller, a merchant in York ;
Daniel, a farmer in Manchester township,
married to Miss Emma Bruaw; Flora, wife of
Jacob Rentzel, a farmer in Manchester to\^■n-
ship; Frances, Mrs. Henry March, of York;
Harriet, Mrs. Frank Lehr, of Manchester
township ; George, a Manchester farmer, mar-
ried to Miss Annie Ouickel ; Augustus, a car-
penter in York, married to Miss Maria Strine ;
and Minnie, Mrs. Charles March, who died
aged twenty-two.

John A. Lehr first attended school in [Man-
chester township, then went to the Emigsville
Academy. He afterward took a course of
telegraphy in the Pennsylvania & New Jersey
Telegraph Collegq at Philadelphia, and has
taught it, although never using it profession-
ally. Much of his attention has been given to
farming combined with cigar making, but a
natural aptitude for meclianical devices has
also led him into work of that nature, and one
of his inventions has been patented. This is
a block signaling apparatus for railroads, in-
tended to avoid head-on or rear-end collisions,
and to keep trains from running into open



BIOGRAPHICAL



477



switches or drawljridges. The device is auto-
matic, needing no operator to attend to it.
l-"urther, wherever trains get within the same
block tlie engineers can telephone to each other
while sitting in their cabs and thus find out
the trouble. Another important feature is the
arrangement whereby operators, if they give
wrong orders or get orders too late, may re-
call a train in an instant. The patent for this
important invention was granted to Mr. Lehr
.\pril 26, 1904. He resided on his farm in
Manchester township until ten years ago.

The union of John A. Lehr to Miss Sadie
Bear, whom he chose for his life partner, oc-
curred in 1884. Mrs. Lehr is a daughter of
Henry and Henrietta (Shelley) Bear, of Mt.
Wolf. They have a large family of children,
namely : Laura ; Harry ; John ; Chester, who
died young; Myrtle; Alma; Carrie, who died
at the age of three ; Violet ; Raymond ;
Robert ; Pansy ; Henrietta ; and Nellie, all at
home. The family attend the Lutheran
Church. In politics Mr. Lehr is a Republi-
can, and is prominent in the local councils.
In 1899 hs '^vas elected justice of the peace,
was reelected in 1901 and has filled that office
with much ability and to the satisfaction of
constituents. He is now clerk and acting
deputy in the office of the register of wills of
York county.

JACOB RHOADS, an enterprising and
prosperous merchant of East Manchester town-
ship, York county, was born May 5, 1853, in
Manchester township, son of William and
grandson of Christian Rhoads.

Christian Rhoads settled in ^Manchester
township, where it is thought he was a stone
cutter. He married and these children were
born to them : Abraham, a carpenter, who died
in Philadelphia ; William, the father of our
subject ; and Leah, who married John Bear, and
died in East Manchester township.

William Rhoads, the father of our sub-
ject, was born in 1825, in jNIanchester town-
ship, and in his youth learned the carpenter's
trade, coming to New Holland in the Spring of
1877, where he followed his trade until his
death. May 5, 1902. He married Fannie Bear,
daughter of Jacob Bear, and one child was
born to this union, which died young. Fannie
Rhoads died and was buried in this township.
Mr. Rhoads' second marriage was to Nancy
Deisenberger, daughter of John Deisenberger,



and their children were: Abraham, who mar-
ried Katie Livingston, and resides at New Hol-
land; Jacob, our subject; Charles B., who mar-
ried Annie Rinehart, and resides at Quaker-
town, Bucks county; John W., who married
Fannie Clennin, and resides at Harrisburg;
Sarah Ann, who died young; Leah, who mar-
ried H. Wantz; Fannie E., who is married
and li\-es in York ; Amanda, who married John
Leader, and lives in New Holland.

Jacob Rhoads attended the township
schools until eighteen years of age, and then
learned pump-making and carpentering, which
trades he followed a number of years, later giv-
ing up carpentering, but continuing in the
pump-making, in which he is an expert work-
man. In 1873 Mr. Rhoads married Anna
Druck, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth
Druck. who was born in Hellam township.
After marriage he located in Hellam township
for one year, after which he removed to New
Holland where he followed his trade. In 1892
he embarked in the mercantile business, in
which he has been eminently successful, and in
which he still continues. To Mt. and ^Irs.
Rhoads five children have been born : Jchn
W., a carpenter of York; Eliza Jane, who mar-
ried John Norbeck and resides in York ; Fannie
May, at home; James A. G., \\-ho married
Grace Lowery and resides in York ; and Rosy
Rebecca, residing at home.

In politics j\Ir. Rhoads is prominentlv
identified with the Republican party, and has
served as school director of East Manchester
township and judge of election. He is con-
nected in religion with the United Brtehren
Church. Mr. Rhoads" shrewd business
methods have placed him among the foremost
business men of his township, ami he is highly
respected by all who know him.

H. B. EBERSOLE, who is engaged in the
coal business at York Haven, York count v,
was born June 18, 1862, in Dauphin count'v.
Pa., son of Jacob and Maria (Bowman) Ebe'r-
sole.

John Ebersole, grandfather of H. B. Eber-
sole, was a life-long farmer in Dauphin coun-
ty, and he died at the age of fift\- vears. His
children were : Abraham, John.' Kate ( Mrs.
Hostler), Mary (Mrs. Foreman). Lizzie ( Airs.
Hostler) and Jacob, the father of H. B.

Jacob Ebersole was born in Dauphin count}'
where he learned the trades of cooper and



4/8



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



miller, and followed them for a number of
years in his native place, near Middletown and
also at Hummelstown. He spent four years
in Juniata county, near Liverpool, and three
3-ears near Mifflin. In 1875 he came to Fair-
view- township where he was a farmer for
seven years, at that time removing to Man-
chester township, near the borough, and re-
mained three years. He then removed to Mt.
Wolf where he worked as a cooper and a
tobacco packer until his death, which occurred
Feb. 29, 1884, and he was buried in Fairview
township. He married Maria Bowman,
daughter of George Bowman, of Hummels-
town, Dauphin county, and she still resides at
Manchester borough. The children born to
them were : Annie married I. Deisinger, and
died at the age of twenty-three years ; Ephraim
B. is engaged in the milk business in Cumber-
land county ; Elizabeth married John M'c-
Daniel, and lives in Cumberland county ; Ellen
married Henry Snyder, a farmer of Fairview
township : H. B. : Jacob is a cigar maker of
York ; Katie married Ambrose Melbourn, and
lives at Manchester ; John died at the age of
fi\'e }'ears ; Charles, a cigar maker by trade, is
employed at the York Haven paper mills.

H. B. Ebersole attended the schools of Fair-
view township, until sixteen years of age, and
remained home until twenty-two, being em-
ployed with Henry Snyder, a brother-in-law,
for two years, learning the trade of a cigar
maker. He was then connected with the York
Haven Paper mills for thirteen years, the last
nine of which he was beater-room foreman. In
1898 Mr. Ebersole embarked in the coal busi-
ness at York Haven, and his well-directed ef-
forts have brought him success, he having one
of the largest trades in his line in the section.
T'^e also deals extensively in farming imple-
ments, fertilizers and cream separators. His
well appointed place of business is located along
the tracks of the Northern Central Railroad.

In 1886 Mr. Ebersole married Lillie Duh-
ling, the youngest daughter of Martin and
Elizabeth A. (Bentz) Duhling. No children
have been born to this union, but Mr. and Mrs.
Ebersole have adopted Ethel May, who is now
(1906) a bright girl of sixteen years. Martin
Duhling, the father of Mrs. Ebersole died May
5, 1905. He servefl forty-two years as justice
of the peace at Manchester borough. Mrs.
Duhling died Dec. 29. 1903, and is buried at
the Union cemetery at Manchester borough.



The children born to this couple were : \Villiam
H., a farmer and trucker of North Carolina,
married Sarah Kauffman; Sarah Catherine
married George Mathias of New Cumberland,
Cumberland county; Maria married Henry
Everhart, and died at the age of twenty-seven
years ; Emma, the wife of S. A. Copen-
heffer, lives in York ; Lillie is the wife of Mr.
Ebersole ; Annie E. died at the age of two
years ; and John Clay died at the age of twelve.
Mr. Ebersole is a Republican in politics,
and has been elected to positions of trust in
his township. He has served as school director
for seven years, treasurer of the school board
for six years, and has been trustee of the
borough since it was organized. His religious
views connect him with the United Brethren
Church, in the work of which he has been very
active and to the support of which he has been
very liberal. He has been trustee of the church
and superintendent of the Sunday-school. The
business interests of York Haven in the past
decade have wonderfully increased, owing to
the enterprise and ability of such public spirited
citizens as H. B. Ebersole. In every relation
of life, Mr. Ebersole stands as a representative
citizen, honorable and upright in his dealings
with his fellow-men, a promoter of educational
progress and a valued member of his home
community.

MARTIN LUTHER DUHLING (de-
ceased), justice of the peace, was born in Man-
chester township, April 9, 1820. His father
was Martin Duhling, a native of England, and
his mother, Barbara Ouickel. was born in York
county. Until his fifteenth year, the son re-
mained on the farm, and then learned the pot-
ter's trade, which he followed twenty years.
He was educated at the public schools, and at
seventeen began teaching, thus being em-
ployed thirty-two winters in York county. At
twenty-one years of age he married Elizabeth
A. Bentz, daughter of John Bentz, of Man-
chester. They had' seven children, four of
whom are now living : William H., of North
Carolina; Sarah Catherine, wife of George
Mathias, of New Cumberland; Emma, wife
of Stephen Copenheffer, of York; and Lillian
Jane, wife of H. B. Ebersole. The three who
died were John Clay, thirteen years ; Annie,
two years; Maria, wife of H. M. E\-erhart,
twenty-six years. M'r. Duhling formerly be-
longed to the Lutheran Church, but left it in



BIOGRAPHICAL



479



1868 to connect himself with the United
Brethren Church, in which he was assistant
class leader. Since 1870 he had been secretary
of the Quarterly Conference. In 1844 he was
captain of the militia of Hellam district. He
was a member of the Manchester borough coun-
cil in 1880, in 1884 again elected for three
years, and had been secretary of that body for
ten years. Being elected justice of the peace
of Manchester township in 1863, he had held
that office, nearly forty-two years. Since 1857
he had also been engag"ed in butchering, and
with the exception of ten years had contin-
uously followed it. His time was also devoted
to surveying and conveyancing. On Aug. 23,
1864, he enlisted in Co. D, 200th P. V., and
served until the end of the war. When the
regiment was properly organized, he was
elected first lieutenant, while his son was chosen
captain. His company served in the army of
the Potomac, and participated in the battles in
front of Petersburg. At Fort Steadman he
was wounded in the left leg, by a piece of shell,
lying in the hospital about eight days but being-
incapacitated for fifteen. The company was
raised by him and his son, and it was his ex-
press desire that his son should be its captain.
It left Harrisburg with 104 men, and returned
with only seventy. In politics Mr. Duhling
was a Republican; In 1870 he took the census
for Manchester township and borough, and
from i860 to 1866 was postmaster at Man-
chester. His children, with the exception of
the youngest, have all been teachers in the pub-
lic schools.

LEWIS W. HERSHEY. Particularly
gratifying are those biographical instances
wherein men of moderate means and modest
manners rise steadily to positions of influence
and importance, for they illustrate the possibil-
ities that lie in the pathway of every young
man. Lewis W. Hershey, a well known baker
at Hanover, has achieved for himself a name
that is sterling in its character, a business that
is safe and prosperous, and he thus epitomizes
the best element of human society. He was
born near Conewago Chapel, Adams county.
May 2, 1846, son of Daniel and Lydia (Walt-
man) Hershe}^ His father was born in Han-
over in 1808, and in early life acquired the
hatter's trade, \\-hich he followed for a few
years, then abandoning it for farming, purchas-
ing a tract of land near New Oxford, Adams



county, where he passed his declining years.
The grandfather of our subject was Christian
\'on Hershey, who was twice married, who
served as a soldier in the war of 1812, and who
removed from Lancaster to York county, and
was among the early settlers of the latter coun-
ty. The ancestors of the Hersheys migrated
from Holland, and there are today many
branches in various portions of the country.
The maternal grandfather of Lewis W. was
John Waltman, who married Emma Hinkle,
and removed from York to Adams county,
settling near McSherrystown.

Lewis W. Hershey spent his youth on the
farm near McSherrystown, and in that vicinity
attended the public schools. Soon after he quit
the schools he began an apprenticeship as a
baker with F. W. Sleeder of Hanover, and
after his trade was completed he continued in
the service of Mr. Sleeder for twelve years.
Then in 1882 Mr. Hershey opened a little
bakery of his own. It was a modest mercantile
establishment at the start, but under the care
and nurture of the young business man it grew
steadily, not only in size, but in the esteem of
the trade. Many years have elapsed, and the
products of the bakery have attained a high
reputation. Mr. Hershey is an intelligent
and practical baker, who by his energy and in-
dustry has built up an enviable trade, and holds
the confidence and respect of his many patrons.

In 1871 Mr. Hershey married Louisa
Creager, of Sugartown, Pa., daughter of
Henry and Catherine (Will) Creager. Six
children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Her-
shey, as follows ; Estella, at home ; Fannie B.,
wife of Harry B. Shultz ; Henry Otto, a drug-
gist of Baltimore; Arthur W., a student at
Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg; Herbert
Creager, a resident of ^^"ashington, D. C, a
student of the Bliss Electrical School ; and
Wallace Eugene, at home. ]Mr. and Mrs. Her-
shey are consistent members of St. Mark's
Lutheran Church, of which he had been sexton
for se\'en years. He owns besides his tasteful
home and his bakery, valuable city property at
Hanover, and is esteemed as one of the pro-
gressive and public-spirited citizens of the city.

JACOB A. LAXDIS, owner of a good
farm in Springetsbury township, was born
Aug. 31, 1856, in West Manchester township,
son of Jacob B. and Susannah (Gross) Landis.

Christian Landis is supposed to. have been



48o



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



born in Lancaster county- He came to York
county where he followed farming, and he was
one of the proniinent and public-spirited men
of his time. He took a great interest in mili-
tary affairs, and belonged to the militia. Chris-
tian Landis was a great lover of sport, and kept
a pack of hounds and a large stable of line
horses for fox hunting. He was very active in
township affairs, and served for a time on the
school board. Early in life he was a member
of the Lutheran Church, but later returned to
the faith of his fathers, that of the Mennonite
Church. Both he and his second wife, whose
maiden name was Elizabeth Bixler, lived to
old age, his death occurring in his seventy-
second year. They were the parents of the fol-
lowing "children : William, deceased, was a me-
chanic of York ; Jacob B. ; Andrew is a retired
mechanic of West York; George, deceased,
was a mechanic of York, where he was yard
boss of the Pennsylvania railroad yards ;
Reuben, deceased, was a mechanic of York ;
Rebecca, deceased, married Emanuel Beck, of
West Manchester township ; and Elizabeth, de-
ceased, married Andrew Feidler, of York.
Previous to his union with Elizabeth Bixler,
Christian Landis had been married to a Miss
Strickler, by whom he had two children:
Michael, deceased, a mechanic of York; and
Alexander, deceased, a farmer of West Man-
chester and Windsor townships.

Jacob B. Landis was born and reared in
West Manchester township, receiving his edu-
cation in the common schools. He followed
agricultural pursuits all his life. He was a
very well read man in both German and En-
glish, and had a very retentive memory, be-
sides being a good conversationalist. He was
a public-spirited man, and held the office of
school director, and was supervisor for seven
years in succession. In politics he was a
stanch Democrat. Mr. Landis married Miss
Susannah Gross, daughter of Jacob and Re-
becca (Westafer) Gross, of Conewago town-
ship, and she met a tragic death while taking
flowers to put on her husband's grave. At the
time of her death she was fifty-seven years of
age. The children born to Jacob B. and
Susannah Landis were : Christian and George,
who both died in childhood ; Sarah, deceased,
who married Adam Spotts, of York ; Leander,
who died at the age of sixteen years ; Emma,
who married Jacob Miller, of Springetsbury
township: Jacob A. ; Aaron, who died in child-
hoofl : Susan, who married Cyrus Miusser,



both deceased; Oscar F., a farmer of Wind-
sor township; Bird, a life insurance agent of
West York ; Luther, a farmer of West Man-
chester township ; Edward, a farmer of
Springlield township ; Flora, married to Jo-
seph Laucks, of York ; Wilson, who died in
childhood ; and Clayton, a farmer of
Springetsbury township.

Jacob A. Landis was reared on the farm
and educated in the public schools of the town-
ship, subsequently attending one session of the
Normal school. He remained at home until
he was twenty-eight years of age, when he
began farming for himself on a rented farm
near Stony Brook. Here he remained for
four years, and then farmed the old home farm
for six years, finally purchasing it. Mr. Lan-
dis has been a resident of the old farm since
1896, and has one of the finest farms in the
section. It contains 103 acres, and he has
lately added thirty- three acres adjoining, all
being finely tilled land, upon which he carries



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 91 of 201)