Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 92 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 92 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


on general farming.

Jacob A. Landis is the representative of the
Walter A. Wood , Machine Co., for this sec-
tion, and also the J. B. Reist Grain Separator
or Cockle Killer. He was traveling agent for
the Wood Company two years and local agent
for eight years. Mr. Landis is a stanch Demo-
crat, like his father, and has served on the
school board for the last six years. He
and his family are consistent members and
liberal supporters of the Mennonite Church.

Mr. Landis married, Oct. 2, 1882, Miss
Annie E. Forry, daughter of Joseph and Eliza-
beth (Strickler) Forry, and they have a fam-
ily of seven children: Chauncy, at home;
George, at home; Arthur; William; Daisy;
Laura; and Harry, deceased. Mr. Landis is
very highly regarded throughout Springets-
bury township, and his knowledge of agricul-
tural matters is far beyond the average. His
entire family enjoy the esteem of the com-
munity.

JOHN F. KISSINGER is a native son of
York county who has attained prominence in
the industrial circles of this section, and who
is numbered among the reputable, progressive
and highly esteemed citizens and business men
of the city of York. He is senior member of
the firm known as Benjamin Kissinger's Sons,
in which he has as his able associate and coad-
jutor his younger brother, Stuart H. The en-
terprise controlled by the firm is the manufact-





^




>^



BIOGRAPHICAL



481



lire of buikling brick, and the lousiness was
founded b}' Benjamin Kissinger, father of the
present owners, in 1867. He carried forward
tiie operation of the concern until 1887, when
he associated with himself John F.. this con-
nection continuing until his death, which oc-
curred in Alarch, 1902, after which John F.
gave his brother Stuart H. part interest in the
business, the present firm title, as note.lr above,
being taken. The plant is ecpipped with the
most modern machinery and facilities for the
handling of its extensive manufacturing, and
the annual output reaches an aggregate of from
ten to twelve millions of brick, while the work-
ing force averages from forty-fi\'e to sixty men.
The products of this old and reliable concern
find a ready local demand and are also shipped
to Baltimore, Md., and other cities in the vi-
cinity of York, and it is pleasing to record that
the high prestige gained by the founder of the
enterprise has been upheld and broadened by
his sons, who are progressive and straightfor-
ward business men and loyal citizens of their
native county.

John- F. Kissinger was born in the borough
of York Nov. 7, 1863, eldest son of Benjamin
and Caroline (Adams) Kissinger, whose eight
children are all living, namely: Lucinda, wife
of Frank Emig, of York; Isabelle, wife of
George Young, of York; Emma, wife of Eber
Seyler, of York ; John F. ; Howard H. ; Stuart
H. ; Savilla, wife of George Busch ; and Caro-
line, wife of Elmer MtSherry, of York.

Benjamin Kissinger w^as born in Spring
Garden township, this county, Jan. 31. 1832,
and his death occurred in the city of York
March 8, 1902, when the county lost one of its
useful and honored citizens and sterling busi-
ness men. He was a blacksmith by trade, and
followed same as a vocation for a number of
years before directing his attention to the man-
ufacture of brick, in which line of enterprise
he became very successful. He was a son of
William Kissinger, and the family was early
founded in Pennsylvania, whither the original
ancestors came from Germany in the Colonial
era of our national history. Mrs. Caroline
Kissinger was likewise born in Spring Garden
township, in 1834, and she survives her hon-
ored husband, making her home in York.

John F. Kissinger completed the curricu-
lum of the public schools of York and early
began to be actively concerned in his father's
brick business, learning the same in all its de-
tails and thus being enabled to handle properly



the nourishing enterprise when he assumed
charge in 1887, as before noted. In addition
to his identification with this business Mr. Kis-
singer is also vice-president of the Monarch
Silk Company, in York, while he was also
largely instrumental in the founding of the Lit-
tlestown Silk Mill, in the town of that name in
Adams county. He is also one of the stock-
holders of the Carlisle Avenue Market Com-
pany, of York, and is otherwise prominent in
local affairs. In a fraternal way Mr. Kissinger
is atfiliated with Zeredatha Lodge, No. 451,
F. & A. M.; Howell Chapter, No. 199, R. A
]\I. : Gethsemane Commandery, No. 75,
Knights Templar, of which he is treasurer at
the time of this writing; and has also attained
the 32d degree, belonging to the Consistory at
Harrisburg, while he has crossed the burning
sands of the desert and thus gained the honor
and distinction of being enrolled as one of the
Nobles of Zembo Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.,
at Harrisburg. In politics he gives his sup-
]3ort to the Republican party, and both he and
his wife are members of Christ Church, of the
Lutheran denomination.

On May 28, 1891, Mr. Kissinger was
united in marriage with Miss Annie S. Vander-
sloot, daughter of Dr. Frederick W. Vander-
sloot, one of the distinguished medical practi-
tioners of York, where Mrs. Kissinger was
born and reared. Mr. and Mrs. Kissinger have
seven children, namely : Myrtle S., Helen G.,
]\Iary A., Beulah H., Benjamin F., Louis J.
and Frances Caroline.

^^1LLIAM P. SPAHR, who resides on
his father's farm in Frankhn township, comes
from one of the oldest families of York coun-
tv, and was born in Washington township in
1858.

George Spahr, great-grandfather of Wil-
liam P., was a native of Warrington township,
and was a farmer. He married Elizabeth
Shaeffer, and had these children : William,
George, Henry, Peter, John, Catharine, Eliza-
beth, Lovie, Mary and Sarah. George mar-
ried Rebecca Miley and had these children:
Abraham, who married Catharine Grove;
George, who married Eliza Geiselman ; \M1-
liam. deceased : John, who married Catharine
Brubaker; Henry, who married Amanda
Melsheimer ; Alfred, who married Mary Hull ;
Jeremiah and Lewis, of whom nothing definite
is known. Henry, the third son of the original
George Spahr, married Annie Diller, and had



482



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



these children : jNIilton, Lizzie and ^lary. Peter
married Alary Cook and had these children :
William, Lewis and Harry. Of John's family
nothing- is known. Catharine married Chris-
tian Hursh ; Elizabeth married William
Lethery; Lovie married Jolm Deter: Mary
married John Brandt ; and Sarah married
John Paul.

William Spahr, the grandfather of Wil-
liam P., married Catharine Miley, and had
Cornelius, who married Elizabeth Bowers, and
had children, Jennie, Ella and Carrie; Henry,
who married Rebecca Seidenstricker, and has
children, ^^lartin, Calvin, ^Villiam and Kate,
■of Davidsburg; William, who married Eliza
Gentzler, and had children: John C. (of Big
Dam), George (of Newcnmberland), Kate
(wife of Noah Bentz, of Lemoyne) and Harry
(of Philadelphia): Martin, deceased: George,
mentioned below : Caroline, who married Jacob
Bentz, of Carroll township : Kate, who mar-
ried John A. Smith, of Dillsbnrg; Elizabeth,
who married Edward Hershey, of Bermudian.

George Spahr, son of William, married
Catharine Pressel, daughter of Joseph Pressel,
and their children are : \\'illiam P. ; Nancy A.,
wife of D. W. Wagner: and Milton E., who
married Cora Bream.

^^"illiam P. Spahr, son of George, re-
ceived his education in Franklin township, and
worked on the farm with his father until the
age of thirty-one. He married Emma Lehmer,
daughter of Christian Lehmer, of Carroll
township, and two children have been born to
this union. Otto Lehmer and Earl L.

William Spahr has held various township
■offices, having been^ assessor, school director
and township clerk. He has been very active
in church affairs, being superintendent of the
Sunday-school of the Lutheran Church, in
which he leads a class. Mr. Spahr is not only
a representative of one of the county's old
pioneer families, but he is also a leading citizen
of Franklin township, where through a life of
industry, integrity and good citizenship, he has
.won the esteem of all who know him. No
man in the county is l.)etler known for sterling
qualities of character.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN CRUMLING,
a representative business man and highly es-
teemed citizen of Hellam township, York
county, was born on the old home at Crum-
ling's Mill, May 2, 1869. ITis education was



received in the common school at Druch Val-
ley, his first teacher being a Mr. Kissling, and
later he attended under John Lehman, and
then under James F. Kauffman, finishing his
schooling at the age of seventeen years.

At an early age Mr. Crumling entered his
father's store, remaining there until his
twenty-second year. In 1889 his father's mill
was desft'oyed by fire, and Mr. Crumling pur-
chased the water-power from his father, and
rebuilt the mill, which he staited in July, 1891,
and in which he has continued until the pres-
ent time. A few years later he engaged in the
manufacture of cigars, also dealing in leaf
tobacco. Mr. Crumling's brother, William P.,
now conducts his cigairnaking business, Mr.
Crumling being kept busy with his other in-
terests. He keeps a fine line of store goods
and also deals in phosphates, grain, feed, fliour,
fertilizers, and cider presses. The old Crum-
ling's Mill has been wonderfully impro^•ed, the
old dwelling-house having been remodeled in
1900, while a new double house has .been
erected.

Mr. Crumling has alwa3'S been a Republi-
can, castin.g his first vote for President Harri-
son. He has served as tax collector, holding
that office under the first three-year term in-
augurated in the township.

Mr. Crumling is a natural musician and
since 1878 has been a member of the Hellam
Cornet Band, playing the clarinet. In 1881
he was elected leader and has held that place
e^^er since. Mr. Crumling has composed sev-
eral popular marches, among them being "Our
York City Post March," which is exceedingly
popular, and the "Rambler," which was played
at the Snyder Band Reunion at Highland
Park, York, in August, 1904. IMr. Crumling's
accomplishments do not stop at the clarinet,
he being- the master of a number of instru-
ments.

Benjamin F. Crumling was united in mar-
riage, in Wrightsville, by Rev. L. K. Sechrist,
pastor of the Lutheran Church, with Miss
Anna M. Frey, of Hellam, the daughter of
Capt. William Frey. To this union have been
born the following children : Stewart Ross,
now (1906) aged fourteen; Roland Frey.
aged eleven ; Morgan Ernest, aged eight ; Nile
Crescent, aged five ; and May Elizabeth, aged
two.

The ancestors of the Frey family came to
this country from Germany, with a party of



BIOGRAPHICAL



483



colonists and settled in Pennsylvania. The
great-grandfather of Mrs. Crnmling, George
Frey, married Miss Mary Ann Sleeyer, who
was born in York. Her father was a soldier
in the Hessian army, and at the close of the
Revolutionary war settled in York, where he
had the following children : John, who settled
in East York and carried on brickmaking for
many years, was the grandfather of Mrs. Dr.
Neffs (whose husband is a druggist of York),
and Emanuel Lehr, of York, and died in East
York : Henry, who settled in East York, was
a distiller by trade, and the father of Henry
Sleeyer, the cabinetmaker of East York;
Mary Ann, the great-grandmother of Mrs.
Crnmling, died at the age of ninety years ; one
daughter became Mrs. John Freed, of East
York and is deceased; one daughter was Mrs.
Thompson, who died in York, and there was
another, whose name is not given.

George Frey was one of the following fam-
ily of children : Jacob, who died in York, was
a hatter by trade ; John, a mason, died in East
York ; Daniel, a small dealer, died in York ;
George was the great-grandfather of Mrs.
Crnmling; Samuel, who died in East York,
\\'as the pioneer of Freystown, the town hav-
ing been named after him (by trade he was a
brickmaker).

The children born to Mr. and Mrs. George
Frey were as follows : Charles, who married
Miss Bennett, settled in Newville, Cumberland
county, was a mason by trade, and died in East
York, while his wife died in Newville: George
was the grandfather of Mrs. Crnmling; Fred-
erick married a Miss Meyers, of Lancaster
county, and he died in York, where he had been
a horsedealer; Enos married his first cousin,
Lydia Sleeyer, the daughter of John Sleeyer,
and died in York, w'here he had been a ma-
chinist ; Catherine, Mrs. Israel Fishel, died
in York : Mary, Mrs. John Spangler, died in
Spring Garden township ; and Leah, who mar-
ried Charles Spangler, brother of John Spang-
ler, still survives in East York, at the age of
eighty-five years.

Georg-e Frey, the grandfather of ]\Irs.
Crnmling- was born in Spring Garden town-
ship, in that part known as Freystown, which
is now a part of York, in 1810. . He was edu-
cated like the boys of his day, and grew up to
be an honored and respected citizen. He mar-
ried Mary Spangler, who died eleven years
years after marriage, and Mr. Frey remained



true to her memory, never marrying again.
He died at the age of seventy-five years. He
was a Democrat, but was never an office-seeker.
In religion he was a Lutheran. George Frey
was the father of the following children : Wil-
liam, the father of Mrs. Crnmling; Eliza, Mrs.
Isaac Runk, who died in East York ; John, who
married Mary Monaghan, settled in Minneap-
olis, Minn., and is now a traveling salesman
(he was a member of the 87th Regiment
Band, playing the alto horn) ; Charles, who
marriecl a Miss Meyers, of York, both being
deceased; and Lewis, a stonecutter, who lived
and married in Philadelphia, where he died.
He was sergeant of a compan)^ in the 87th
Regiment during the Civil war, and was cap-
tured and in prison nine months.

Capt. William Frey, the father of Mrs.
Crnmling, was born Feb. 7, 1834, in Freys-
town, on the site of the "New Wilmer Hotel."
He attended school at different places, and his
mother dying when he was nine years old
young Frey was put out among the farmers to
work his own way in the world. Out of a
year he received three months" schooling,
while the other nine months he spent at hard
farm labor, receiving- but $4 per month. Mr.
Frey, then se\-enteen years of age, went to the
trade of shoemaker, learning that trade with
Daniel Stine, of York, with whom he re-
mained three years. This trade he followed
five years, but after his return from the war
he eng-aged in butchering, at which he con-
tinued for ten years. Capt. Frey then bought
a home and farm in Spring Garden township,
which* he operated for twenty-five years, in
April, 1901, locating in Hellam, where he has
since resided. The Captain is a stanch Demo-
crat in politics, and cast his first vote for
Buchanan. In 1876 he was elected treasurer
of York county, and served three years in that
position. He served as school director in
Spring' Garden township, and when the town-
ship was divided served as school director four
years in Springetsbury township, and also
served as tax collector there one year.

Children as follows were born to Capt.
Frey and his wife: William B., of York, mar-
ried May Channell ; Flora M. is the widow
of John Rouse, of York ; Ferdinand C. married
Miss Lydia Ehrhart. of York county : Emma
E. is Mrs. William Christine, of York : George
T., who married Bessie Leiby. lives in this
county ; Katie died at the age of ten years ;



484



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Anna 'M. is the wife of our subject; Robert
E., who married ]\Iiss Amanda Myers, hves
in Heham township ; MolHe E. is Mrs. Frank-
lin Fisher, of York; Hattie ]\I. died at the age
of eleven years; Harry S., of Hellam, married
Elizabeth Fisher.

JACOB STONEBACK POSEY, who
makes his home in Lower Chanceford town-
shii), Yoi'k county, was born April 9, 1856,
in the township named, on the farm now oc-
cupied by his brother, William J. Posey. He
is a son of Micajah and Catherine (Stone-
back) Posey.

Mr. Posey commenced to attend the pub-
lic schools at the age of six years and had
finished his schooling when he was sixteen
years old. He began teaching at the age of
seventeen, his first school being in Graham-
ville, Chanceford township, which he taught
for one term. After this he continued in that
profession for twenty-seven years, acquiring
C[uite a reputation as an educator in York
county, and teaching the following schools :
River Hill, Shaub's, Center and Slab, all in
Lower Chanceford township. Mr. Posey was
married Aug. i, 1875, in Lower Chanceford
township by the Rev. John McKinley, pastor
of the M. E. Church, to Mary E. McSherry,
who was born in Lower Chanceford township,
July 23, 1859. After marriage Mr. and Mrs.
Posey settled on the Isaac Boyd farm, wdiich
Mr. Posey purchased from Isaac N. Boyd.
The farm consists of 114 acres, and was foi;m-
erly a part of the old Kilgore farm, being
situated one mile west of McCalls Ferry. There
the couple have resided ever since. Mr. Posey
is a member of the McKendree M. E. Church
at Airville, having united with that body in
1886, has been one of its trustees for many
years, and has been class leader and Sunday-
school superintendent. He has been very active
in church work and has assisted materially in
the erection of the new church. In politics
Mr. Posey is a stanch Republican, and his first
presidential vote was cast for James A. Gar-
field. In 1894 Mir. Posey was elected justice
of the peace, and was re-elected in 1904; in
1896 he was nominated on the Republican
ticket for the Legislature, but after making a
hard fight was defeated.

The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Posey
are as follows: (i) Katie B., born March 5,
1876, married Jessie V. Trout, son of George



V. Trout, of Chanceford township, where they
reside. She was educated in the public schools
and the York Normal school and taught two
terms at Castle Fin, Lower Chanceford town-
ship, and one term at Jamison school. (2)
Walter W., born Oct. 8, 1877, attended the
public schools and the York Normal School,
and taught two terms at Guinston, after which
he took a course at Wades Business College,
Lancaster city, from which he was graduated,
and accepted a situation as stenographer in
Thompson's Iron Works, Philadelphia, later
being promoted to the managership of the
works ; he married Miss Maggie Skelton, of
Airville, daughter of Elwood S. Skelton, an
undertaker, and they now live in York. ( 3 )
Amanda Mary, born Feb. 4, 1879, resides at
home. (4) Lizzie B., born Nov. 28, 1880,
married John Montgomery, of Lower Chance-
ford tOAvnship, and they reside on the Grove
farm. (5) Margaret Ann, born Feb. 8, 1883,
married William Reheard, of Chanceford
township. (6) Ada May, bom Dec. 5, 1885,
was educated in the public schools, the York
Normal school and Millersville State Normal
school, taught two terms in the public schools
of Lower Chanceford township, then took a
course in stenog'raphy at the Philadelphia Busi-
ness college, from which she graduated ; she
then accepted a position as stenographer in
Philadelphia. (7) Emma Laura, born Sept.
6, 1887, resides at home. (8) John B., born
March 12, 1891, died at the age of five years.
(9) David R. was born Sept. 21, 1892. (10)
Jacob S., born May 18, 1894, died at the age
of two and one-half years. (n) Mordecai
A. was born Sept. 26, 1897. (12) Mary
Elizabeth was born April 4, 1901.

Mrs. Posey's ancestors came from Ireland,
and settled in York and Adams counties. Her
father was the first settler in Airville and the
town was originally named after him, Mc-
Sherrystown. Mr. McSherry there kept a hotel
for about forty years. He was twice married.
Bv his first wife, Elizabeth Burkholder, he had
children : Mlary, who married William Stokes ;
Barbara; Montia; Sally, who married Benja-
min Fulks, deceased; Susan, now Mrs.
Harrison; Jackson, living in Missouri; and
Frederick, deceased. Mr. McSherry's second
marriage was to Catherine (Bair) Keeports,
widow of David Keeports, and sister of John
Bair. Mrs. Posey is the only child of Mr. Mc-
Sherry's second marriag'e. ]\Ir. Posey is a citi-



BIOGRAPHICAL



48:



zen who has the best interests of the commun-
ity at heart, and is a man who enjoys the es-
teem of all who know him.

GEORGE W. BOWMAN, of the firm of
G. W. Bowman & Co., manufacturers of
cigars, Hanover, conducts a large and pros-
perous business, which for many years his
father carried on before him. The famil}^ is
an old one, the grandfather of George W., hav-
ing been Charles Bowman, who was born in
Newark, N. J., and became one of the early
settlers of York. George W. Bowman was
born in Hanover. Pa., Feb. 8, 1859, the son
of Charles and Dorothy (Grimm) Bowman.
The father was a Philadelphian, born Feb. 20,
1831, and died in Hanover in 1898. His wife,
Dorothy, was born in Germany about 1835,
and died in 1902. They were the parents of
five children, nameh^: George W., Charles E.,
Benjamin F., Sarah M. and Fannie C, all resi-
dents of Hanover.

George "\V. Bowman was educated in the
public schools of Hanover. When his educa-
tion was completed he learned from his father
the cigar making trade and remained with him
until the latter's death in 1898. George W.
succeeded to the business, which has since been
conducted under the firm name of G. W. Bow-
man & Co. He is a practical cigar-maker, and,
combining his knowledge with his excellent
business judgment, has built up a large and
profitable trade, employing about twenty-five
people at his factory, which is located at No.
12 Pleasant street, Hanover.

In 1 89 1 Mr. Bowman married Annie E.
Yantis of Hanover, daughter of William and
Margaret Yantis, her mother still surviving.
To George W. and Annie E. Bowman have
been born two children, Helen D. and Robert
Willet. Mr. and Mrs. Bowman are active
members of Emanuel Reformed Church. He
is a member of Patmos Lodge, No. 348, A. F.
& A. Mi. ; also a member of Gettysburg Chap-
ter and GettA'sburg Commanderv, K. T. ; Bomi
Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., of Baltimore. He
is also a member of the B. P. O. E. of Han-



JOHN F. ROHRBAUGH, contractor and
builder and dealer in building supplies, has for
more than a score of years been one of the
active business men of Hanover, giving to
construction w'ork that energy and persistent



application, without which notable success is
impossible. He is a native of York county,
and was born in Penn township. Feb. 28, 1858,
son of Amos and Fanny (Forry) Rohrbaugh,
and grandson of Henry Rohrbaugh, who mar-
ried a Miss Runkel, of German descent. The
maternal grandparents of John F. Rohrbaugh
were John and Nancy Forry, who lived "in
York county and had a family of thirteen chil-
dren. Amos Rohrbaugh, the father of John
F., was born in York county about 1832. He
owned a farm of 120 acres of thoroughly culti-
vated land, with good buildings, and there he
lived, a life-long and prosperous farmer. He
died in 1893. I" politics he was a Whig and
later a Republican. To Amos and Fanny
(Forry) Rohrbaugh were born eight children,
as follows : John F. ; Mary, wife of William
Flickinger; Henry F., a farmer; Fannie, wife
of George Unger, a farmer; Amanda, wife of
Henry Baker, a farmer; Catherine, wife of
William Mummert ; Sarah, wife of Pius
Renoll ; and Barbara, wife of Michael INIusser,
of Silver Spring', Lancaster county.

John F. Rohrbaugh was educated in the
public schools of New Baltimore. At the age
of sixteen years he left school, and until he
attained his majority remained on his father's
farm. At twenty-one he married Lucv ]\Iiller,
daughter of John arid Susannah ( Mouse )
Miller. He began housekeeping on a farm
and a year later removed to the Miller home-
stead. Soon afterward he commenced the busi-
ness of contracting and selling .builders' sup-
plies, in which lines he has since been engaged
most successfully. The business which he con-
ducts is quite extensive and in its various de-
partments he employs about forty men. Mr.
Rohrbaugh is also one of the principal stock-
holders of the American Foundry and Machine
Co. He is the owner of two farms, one of
which is a part of his father's homestead and
the other a farm of 120 acres in Adams coun-
ty. Both farms are in a thorough state of
cultivation and possess good buildings. In
politics Mr. Rohrbaugh is a Republican. He
is a member of Patmos Lodge, No. 348. A. F.
& A. M. He has been thrice married, four
children being born to his first union — William



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 92 of 201)