Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 93 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 93 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


(deceased), Walter, Miriam and Fanny. His
second wife was Alice Heistand. who died
without issue. Mr. Rohrbaugh's third and
present wife was Emma Wiley, of East Berlin.
Pa. To them ha\e been born Elizabeth, Cath-



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVA.NIA



erine, and one that died in infancy. Mr. Rohr-
baugh is a member of the German Baptist
Church, of which he is a regular attendant.

ERVIN G. SHEDRICK, one of the
younger business men of Newberry township,
York county, now filHng the position of super-
intendent of the York Haven Paper Bag
Factory, was born April 22, 1871, at Middle-
bury, Vt., son of James and Mary Jane
(Hicken) Shedrick.

Nothing is definitely known of Mr. Shed-
rick's grandparents, who were both deceased
at the time of his birth. James Shedrick, his
father, received a common school education-,
and he followed axe and scythe making at
Ballston, N. Y., where he died. He married
Mary Jane Hicken, and the following children
were born to this union : Alice, who married
William Cornell, superintendent of E. Doug-
las's axe plant in Massachusetts ; Frank, a
painter and paper-hanger at Ballston, N. Y. ;
Jessie, married to Alfred Young and living
in Ballston, N. Y. : Frederick, a painter and
paper-hanger with his brother Frank; Ervin
G., our subject ; Cora, married to R. B. James,
a conductor on the New York Central railroad ;
and seven children who are deceased.

Ervin G. Shedrick attended the public
schools of New York -State until about seven-
teen years of age, when he learned the busi-
ness of making paper bags of George West, of
Ballston, remaining there ten years, the last
six years of which he was foreman of the fac-
tory. He then went to New York City, where
he was engaged as superintendent of the J. J.
McClusty bag factory, which position he filled
for five years, at that time removing to York
Haven, where on April 21, 1901, his services
were secured as superintendent of the paper
bag factory. Mr. Shedrick has since held that
position, and is a very skillful mechanic, and
has charge of from forty to fifty hands.

Mr. Shedrick married Miss Annie Co-
baugh, daughter of Jacob Cobaugh, and one
child has been born to them, Helen, born Oct.
4, 1904. Both he and his wife are devout
members of the Methodist Church. Mr. Shed-
rick is a Republican, but has never aspired to
public office.

JAMES E. GREEN, Jr., cashier of the
New FYeedom National Bank, of New Free-
dom, Shrewsbury township, York county, was



born Nov. 22^ 1871, in Ireland, son of James
E. and Margaret N. Green.

Roger Green, grandfather of our subject,
was a physician.

James E. Green is a lawyer by profession,
born and reared in Ireland. He came to the
United States in •1873, and for many years
he has been one of the leading citizens of
Baltimore, Md., being auditor of the Roland
Park Company of that city, and having served
as chief clerk and cashier of the clerk's office
of Baltimore county, and as clerk of the county
commissioners. To himself and wife have
been born the following children : James E. :
May S., who married John H. Gill, an at-
torney of Baltimore ; George L. ; Jannett E. ;
and Stephen R.

James E. Green, Jr., received his early edu-
cation in the public schools of Baltimore coun-
ty, supplementing this with a term at the Balti-
more and Ohio Technical school, of Baltimore,
and one year in the Law Department of the
University of Maryland. He then became
clerk in the First National Bank of Towson,
Md., where he remained twelve years, coming
to New Freedom, York Co., Pa., in April,
1903. He assisted in organizing the New
Freedom National Bank, becoming one of its
stockholders. Mr. Green was chosen cashier
and has since served veiy acceptably in that
position. The bank is in a very prosperous
condition, having a capital stock of $50,000,
and the directors are : A¥. D. Bahn, G. F. Mil-
ler, Dr. W. C. Stick, George F. Gantz, J. F.
Sechrist, George E. Ruhl, J. F. Zeller, J. A.
Gillen, H. Krout, W. H. Whitcraff, F. B.
Dickmyer and M. Hoshall. In 1904 was built
a handsome new brick and stone bank build-
ing, thirty by fifty feet, one-story high, which
is an ornament to the city.

Mr. Green possesses many of the business
attributes which have made his esteemed father
so successful, and he has a pleasing manner,
which wins both business and personal friends.
In religious matters he is connected with the
Episcopal Church.

J. NELSON DUNNICK, M. D., of Stew-
artstown. Pa., was born July 6, 1872, in Hope-
well township, York county, a son of Charles
M. and Elizabeth ( Leib) Dunnick. The Dun-
nick family can be traced to George Dunnick,
the paternal grandfather, who was a prominent
farmer in York county, where he died leaving



BIOGRAPHICAL



487-



four children, namel}' : Nelson S., Charles ]\I.,
Sarah D., and Jane (who married Nathaniel
Heaps). The Doctor's maternal grandfather
was Henry Leib, also a farmer of York county,
who had four children, namely : Joseph, John
H., Elizabeth (mother of J. Nelson), and
Dorcas (wife of ex-SherifT James Peeling).

Charles M. Dunnick is one of the promi-
nent residents of Fawn township, where he is
engaged in farming, although he is a carpenter
by trade. For a number of years he has been
one of the leading members of the Democratic
party in that locality, has served as tax collec-
tor of Hopewell township, and in July, 1904,
was a delegate to the county convention. He
belongs to the M. E. Church and has served
for several years as superintendent of the local
Sunda} - school. Charles M. Dunnick married
Elizabeth Leib, and they have had a family of
thirteen children, as follows : Mary E., Mrs.
Sanner ; Cora E. ; Ida M., wife of Samuel Cra-
ley ; John H. ; Dr. J. Nelson ; Perry E. ; Ben-
son L. ; Dr. Milton C. ; Florence V. ; Franklin ;
Blanche ; Dorcas ; and a child who died in in-
fancy.

J. Nelson Dunnick spent his early boyhood
attending the public schools of Hopewell town-
ship. The education thus secured did not sat-
isfy his ambitions and he worked until he had
earned enough to ensure him one year at the
Mt. Pleasant (Md.) school, after which he
entered the York County Academy at York,
and the academy at Stewartstown. He then
began to teach school in order to provide means
for his medical education. For two years he
proved a very satisfactory educator, at Zion,
Hopewell township, as well as for a like period
at the Gemmill school in the same township.
When prepared to begin his medical education
he placed himself under the competent tute-
lage of Dr. J. H. Leib, of Mt. Pleasant, Md.,
and subsecjuently entered the Baltimore Medi-
cal College. From that institution he was
graduated April 6, 1899, as second in an unus-
ually brilliant class of students. After success-
fully passing the Pennsylvania State Board of
E.xaminers he entered into practice at Stew-
artstown on Aug. I, 1899. His success has
been rapid and marked, and every indication
points to eminence in his profession. He
takes advantage of all opportunities offered for
extending his scientific knowledge and is a
valued member of the York Cijunty Medical
Association.



Dr. Dunnick was married, in Octolier,
1898, to Mattie C. Hoke, daughter of Samuel
Hoke, of Frederick county, Md., and they
have three children: Dana D., Estella C. and
Inez E. Dr. Dunnick is a consistent member
of the ]\I. E. Church and, until so closely occu-
pied with the demands of his profession, was
very active in its work, serving as a teacher in
the Sunday-school and for several years as
president of the Zion Epworth League, being
the tirst to hold that office after its organiza-
tion. B}' his professional skill and his good
citizenship, his frank and friendly personality,
the Doctor has won and retained numerous
admirers and friends.

CHARLES S. BAIR, a prominent and en-
terprising young merchant of Laurel, Chance-
ford township, who for the past few years has
also been engaged in cigar manufacturing at
Laurel and Felton, was born in Chanceford
township, near Conrad's Cross Roads, Feb. 13,
180, son of Peter and Salome (Shenberger)
Bair.

Isaac Bair, the grandfather of Charles S.,
was a gunsmith of Lancaster city, and located
in York county, being' a lock-tender at Lijng
Level for many years.

Peter Bair, son of Isaac, was born at that
place, and is now living retired at Felton. He
is a veteran of the Civil war, having served
lor nine months. _ He married Salome Shen-
berger, sister of John "K. Shenberger ( de-
ceased), ex-treasurer of York county. Mr.
and Airs. Bair are members of the Evangelical .
Church. The following children were born
to them : Charlotte married D. W. Detweiler,
of Long Level ; Francis, of York, married
Ocky Moody ; Isaac, of Center county, who re-
ceived a common school education, and is now
a minister in the U. Evangelical Church, mar-
ried Jane Campbell ; Amanda married Thomas
Harris of Wrightsville ; Oscar, a farmer of
Sunnyburn, married Lizzie Snyder: Elmer, a
farmer of ]\Iuddy Creek Forks, married ]\Iiss
Rebecca Alarkel : Hallie married James Adair,
of Red Lion : Charles S. : and Harris died
young.

Charles S. Bair attended the public schools
until nine years of age, when his father re-
moved to Felton, where Mr. Bair was a stu-
dent at the Science Hill school until the age
of sixteen vears. He worked on the farm until
twenty-one, and then learned the carpenter's



488



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



trade, which he followed three years. Later
he was a clerk in the store of Grove & Llffel-
man at Brogiieville Station, where he re-
mained three years, and then was similarly em-
ployed in the store of J. D. Hake at Felton.
After working one 3'ear Mr. Bair bought Mr.
Hake out and continued the business at Felton
for three years, at which time he removed to
Laurel, where he has since remained as a suc-
cessful and respected merchant. Mr. Bair is a
self-made man, and has taken his place among
the first business men of Laurel, winning his
■way entirely through his own efforts. He
has the confidence of the community and has
the reputation of being a man of honor and in-
tegrity.

On July 16, 1895, Mr. Bair married Min-
nie Classic, of Hopewell township, daughter
of John and Agnes (Snyder) Classic, and one
child, Charles Wilber, has been born to this
union. "Mr. Bair is an esteemed member of the
U. Evangelical Church of Felton. In politics
he is connected with the Republican party, but
has never sought public preferment. Fra-
ternally he has affiliated himself with Shrews-
bury Lodge, No. 423, F. & A. M., of which he
is a popular member.

J. ROY SHOWALTER, a director of the
First National Bank of Delta, and secretary
and treasurer and one of the organizers of the
Chanceford Telephone Company, comes of an
old Pennsylvania family, and was born Nov.
28, 1873, '" Drumore township, Lancaster
county. Mr. Showalter's paternal ancestors
came from Germany, and his great-great-great-
grandfather, in company with two brothers,
William and Mark, settled in Lancaster county
in and about Drumore township. The family
has since separated, some of its members going
to Kentucky, and some to Indiana and to other
States. Mr. Showalter's great-great-grand-
father, his great-grandfather and hi's grand-
father were all named Joseph, and the last
named was a farmer of Drumore township.
He retired to Oxford, Chester county, where
he died in 1889. His wife, whose maiden
name was Morgan, came of Revolutionary
stock.

Joseph Showalter, the father of J. Roy,
was born on the home place in Drumore town-
ship, Lancaster county, in 1841, and at the age
of seventeen years (up to which time he had
worked on the farm) he enlisted in Company



I, 124th P. V. I., and later joined the cavalry
service as a private, but was promoted to the
rank of sergeant. He participated in the bat-
tles at Petersburg, Spottsylvania and Appo-
mattox Court House, besides many minor en-
gagements, and when honorably discharged
had a war record of which any man might be
proud. After the war he returned home and
resumed farming, which he carried on for
some years, but for the last thirty years he has
been engaged in the grain and lumber business
at Oxford, Chester county. He is a Republi-
can in politics, while in his religious belief he
is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr.
Showalter married Miss Evanna McDonald,
whose ancestor. Major Benjamin McDonald,
was an officer in Washington's army. Mrs.
Showalter is still living. She is the mother of
the following children : Charles, a graduate of
the University of Michigan, who is a judge of
the Criminal court at Parkersburg, W. Va. ;
Clarence, in business with his father; J. Roy;
Mabel, married to T. Scott Woods, of Leaman
Place, Lancaster county ; and Helen G., living
at home.

J. Roy Showalter was three years old when
his parents located in Oxford, Chester county,
and there he attended the public schools until
fifteen years of age. He entered Lawrenceville
(N. J.) Preparatory School, from which he
was graduated with the class of 1894, and then
attended Princeton University, after which he
was a student at the University of Michigan.
He studied law with his brother and then en-
tered the law department of Columbia Uni-
versity, Washington, D. C, but failing health
compelled him to abandon his studies ; conse-
quently, he settled on one of his father's farms
in Oxford, where he remained for two years.
In 1900 Mr. Showalter located in Lower
Chanceford township, where he has remained
ever since.

On Oct. 17, 1900, Mr. Showalter married
Marian W. Ross, of Lower Chanceford town-
ship, daughter of William G. and Julia (Mc-
Conkey) Ross, and one child has blessed this
union, Anna McDonald. Mr. Showalter ■ is
highly esteemed in Lower Chanceford town-
ship, and has hosts of friends who are pleased
with his social prominence and his business
success. He is a member of the Chanceford
Presbyterian Church, in whose work he is very
active, and is treasurer of the Sunday-school.
In politics he is a stanch Republican.



BIOGRAPHICAL



489



EDWARD D. JACOBS, of the firm of
Jacobs Bros., of Manchester borough, was
bom April 3, 1871, son of Henry W. and Mary
(Bentzel) Jacobs.

Henry Jacobs, the paternal grandfather,
was born Sept. 28, 1820, a native of York
county, where the family has long been resi-
dent. He followed farming all his active life,
in Manchester township. He married a Miss
Ervin, of York county, and they had chil-
dren as follows : Henry W. ; James, who died
in Conewag'o township ; William, residing near
Bull's Church in that township ; and Julian,
who married Samuel Delph, and resides in the
same locality. Henry Jacobs died in Manches-
ter township Aug. 28, 1854, aged thirty-three
years, ten months and twenty-nine days, and
is buried in Union cemetery. His widow af-
terward married Hamilton , and her

death occurred in Conewago township, her re-
mains being interred at Ouickels Church.

Henry W. Jacobs, father of Edward D.,
was born in 1844, on the homestead, situated
on the Suscjuehanna river, in Manchester town-
ship, and received a common school education.
Ele married Mary Bentzel, daughter of David
Bentzel, proprietor of the mill of that name.
They settled on a farm in the southwestern
part of the borough and there Mr. Jacobs gave
his whole attention to the management of his
place for thirty years, after which he retired
from active life, and is now residing in Dover
township, near Emig's Mill. His wife died in
1888, and is buried at Strayer's Church, Do-
ver township. The children born to them
were: Daniel H., who married a Miss Gor-
don, and lives in Manchester borough ; Edward
D. ; Katie, Mrs. Abraham Loucks, of York;
Ella, who married Elmer Balm, a son of the
undertaker of the same name at Zions View ;
Laura and Alice, in York ; Eannie, who died in
i8g8, aged fifteen, and is buried at Strayer's
Church ; Alvin, at York, unmarried ; and Nan-
nie and Carrie, at York.

Edward D. Jacobs was born near Bentzel's
Mill, and until he was seventeen years old at-
tended the Aughenbaugh school. He then took
a position with a New York firm, selling har-
vesting machines; after three years with them
he worked one year for an Ohio firm, and
then three years for C. A. Deisinger, of
Wrightsville. In 1903 he settled in Manches-
ter, and with his brother went into his present
business, under the firm name of Jacobs Bros.



They built a fine mill and have a splendid
trade. Mr. Jacobs also owns two handsome
dwellings in the borough, and is counted one
of the progressive and well-to-do business men
in the town.

In 1 901 Mr. Jacobs was married to Miss
Emma Weidman, daughter of Jacob and Mar-
garet Weidman, of Springetsbury township. A
son, Roy W., was born to them in 1902. Mrs.
Jacobs is a member of the Lutheran Church.
In politics Mr. Jacobs is a Democrat, but has
never taken an active part in party work.

A. E. KOLLER is situated at Seven Valley'
Springfield township, where he is engaged in
the furniture and undertaking business. Mr.
Roller was born Dec. 20, 1874, in Springfield
township, son of William Roller and grandson
of John Roller.

A. F. Roller received his education in the
township schools, which he attended until sev-
enteen years of age, when he learned the cabi-
net-making trade with George W. Geiple, at
Glen Rock. They then went to Seven Valley,
and engaged in the furniture and undertaking
business, the firm being known as Geiple &
Roller, and as such it remained until 1899,
when Mr. Roller bought his partner's interest,
he has since continued the business alone. He
has a large store on Church street, and does
an extensive business' in the surrounding coun-
try. On Oct. I, 1905, he opened a large fur-
niture, cai-pet and undertaking establishment
at Jacobus, Pa., which is being successfully
conducted by Joseph Ressler.

In 1895 Mr. Roller married Annie Bubb,
daughter of William and Mary (Smith)
Bubb, of Seven Valley borough, and two chil-
dren have been born to this union: Ekla and
Claude. Mr. Roller is a Democrat, and was
president of the borough council for six years.
At present he is judge of election. He is a
member of the Reformed Church. Eraternally
he associates with Moss Rose Council, No. 292,
Jr. O. U. A. M., and has filled all of the
chairs; No. 447, R. of P.; Washington Camp,
No. 349, P. O. S. of A. ; and on Nov. 13, 1905,
he became a charter member of Conclave No.
962, Improved Order of Heptasophs, and in
all of these as in his business relations Mr.
Roller is very popular.

DR. JAMES L. YAGLE, who is engaged
in the practice of his profession at New Eree-



490



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



dom, York county, was born April 3, 1870,
son of George N. and Martha (Smith) Yagle.
Both his paternal and maternal grandfathers
were natives of Germany, and the latter was
for many years a burgomaster there. George
N. Yagle, the father, came to this country
when eighteen years of age and settled in Bal-
timore, Md., and there met and married Mar-
tha Smith. He there engaged in shoe-making
for ten years, removing to Shrewsbury and
later to Winterstown, York county, where he
settled permanently. The nine children .born
to George N. and Martha Yagle were: Jacob;
John ; Henry ; Catherine, who married Charles
Fishel; Mary, Mrs. John Kinkle; Dr. George,
who is a practicing physician at Red Lion ; Dr.
James; Charles, and Franklin, a student at the
Medical College of Baltimore.

Dr. Yagle was primarily educated in the
public schools of Winterstown, and then en-
tered York Academy and later Millerville
State Normal school. He read medicine with
his brother, Dr. George Yagle, and was grad-
uated from the College of Physicians and Sur-
geons April 29, 1902, establishing himself at
New Freedom dming the same year. Flis prac-
tice in that village has grown encouragingly,
as his ability has become recognized, while his
pleasing personal characteristics have won him
numerous friends.

Dr. Yag^le's professional membership is
with the York County Medical Society, the
Pennsylvania State Medical Society, and the
American Medical Association. He has been
appointed medical examiner for the Knights of
Pythias, the Security Life and Annuity Co.,
Philadelphia, Pa., and the Prudential Insur-
ance Co., being affiliated fraternally with the
order first named. Dr. Yagle was married June
II, 1903, to Cora V. Bortner, daughter of Ja-
cob F. Bortner, of Winterstown. Dr. Yagle has
no specialties, although he took a special course
in diseases of children. He is thoroughly
posted in every line of his profession, a close
student, a careful practitioner and a steady-
handed surgeon.

WILLIAM IT. GROTHE. The city of
York has gained wide prestige and reputation
as a manufacturing and commercial center, and
here are found represented many industrial en-
terprises of sco])e and imjiortance, and of so
varied nature that botli skilled anrl unskilled



labor is in demand and the general prosperity
of the community thus enhanced and solidified.
Among the noteworthy industries of the
county and city is that of which M'r. Grothe is
at the head. He is engaged in the manufac-
ture of building brick on a large scale, having
a finely equipped plant at the corner of Pine
and Liberty streets, known as the Steam Brick
Manufactory. The products of the concern
are of the pressed variety, and have gained
emphatic appro\'al on the score of su-
perior excellence, so that the proprietor not
only controls a large local trade, but also a
business which extends to divers sections of
the territory tributary to York. The works
have an output capacity of 35,000 brick per
day, and employment is given to an average
corps of about fifty men. The plant is equipped
with the latest improved machinery and ac-
cessories, including large kilns of the most sci-
entific construction, with ample drying- yards
and sheds.

Mr. Grothe is a thoroughly practical man
in his chosen field of endeavor, having learned
the brickmaking business under the direction
of his father, who was long identified with this
line of industiy in York county, and the up-
building of the prosperous enterprise noted re-
flects credit upon William H. Grothe both as
an executive and as a public-spirited citizen,
while he is honored and esteemed as one of the
representative business men of the 3'ounger
g'eneration in York. He was born in that city
Oct. 14, 1867, son of Henry W. and Wilhel-
mina (Heitkamp) Grothe, and it may be said
that the father, who died May 23, 1905, had
long been numbered among the sterling busi-
ness men of this county, where the greater por-
tion of his life had been passed. William H.
Grothe availed himself of the advantages af-
forded by the excellent public schools of his
native city, and when fifteen years of age en-
tered the Eaton & Burnett Business College, in
Baltimore, where he took a thorough com-
mercial course, being graduated as a member
of the class of 1884. Thereafter he was an as-
sistant to his father, who was engaged in the
manufacture of brick, and thus continued until
1890, when he founded his present successful
enterprise, to which he has since given his per-
sonal supervision and management. In politics
he accords a stanch allegiance to the Demo-
cratic party, and while he takes a loyal inter-



BIOGRAPHICAL



491



est in local affairs of a public nature he has
ne\er been ambitious for official preferment,
though in 1893 he was elected to represent the
Tenth ward on the city board of education.
He and his wife are zealous members of St.
John's German Lutheran Church.

On Nov. 5, 1889. Mr. Grothe was united
in marriage with Aliss Antonetta Sonneman,
daughter of Augustus Sonneman, a well-known
citizen and business man of York. The four
children of this union are : Charlotte; Henry,
Wilhelmina and Ruth.

ROBERT GRANT PINKERTON,
known throughout York county for the good
work he has accomplished as a minister of the
Gospel, has been pastor of the Guinston U. P.
Church since August, 1892.

The ancestors of Mr. Pinkerton removed
from Scotland to Ireland, locating in County
Antrim, in an old castle, which still stands on
the coast of Ireland. This castle belonged to
the Montgomery family, and one of the daugh-
ters of this house married one of the members
of the Pinkerton family, the castle and estate
passing into the possession of the latter family.
The great-great-grandfather of our subject
came to America from Ireland in 1773, and
settled near Philadelphia, Pa., where he en-
gaged in farming. He participated in the Rev-



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 93 of 201)