Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 94 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 94 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


olutionary war, and was also a defender of
Baltimore in 181^14. When Mr. Pinkerton's
great-grandfather was but fourteen years of
age he took clothes and food to his father, who
Avas on the fighting line. Great-grandfather
Pinkerton died in or near Philadelphia at an
advanced age.

Joseph Pinkerton, the grandfather of our
subject, was born in New London, Chester
county, Jan. 9, 1798, and there grew to man-
hood. He then made a journey overland, with
his widowed mother, by way of wagon to War-
ren, Trumbull Co., Ohio. Here he took up
land and engaged in farming, in connection
with which he followed the cooper's trade. On
March 28, 1827, he married \'iolet Scott, who
was born Dec. 15, 1804, in that section, daugh-
ter of James Scott. ]\Ir. Pinkerton remained
in Ohio until in 1850. when he removed to
Viola, Mercer Co., 111. His eldest son had
made the journey some time before, and in
this year, with two four-horse wag"ons, one of
which was dri\-en b}- tlie father of our subject,
then a lad of sixteen years, he' made the jour-



ney throvigh the swamps and over conduroy
roads, arriving in October, 1850, having been
two months on the journey. There Joseph
Pinkerton and his sons took up tracts of land,
and there he died Feb. 17, 1885, his widow sur-
\'iving until Oct. i, 1896, when she passed
away. When in Ohio, this couple were Pres-
byterians, but as no church of that denomina-
tion was then to be found in their section they
became members of the M. E. Church. In pol-
itics Mr. Pinkerton was a Whig, later becom-
ing a Republican, and he was greatly intereste I
in political matters. The children of Joseph
Pinkerton and his wife were: William i\Iont-
gomery, who married in 1850, in Illinois, Eliza
Carnahan, served three years in the Civil war,
in which he was made a sergeant, and died in
Illinois in 1904; James Scott, born May 28,
1830, married July 7, 1859, Catherine Swartz,
and died in Illinois in 1903; Hannah L., born
Sept. 26, 1831, married June 11, 1857, Joseph
Carnahan, and removed in 1878 to Kansas
with her husband, where she died; John Col-
by; Jane Gibson, born Oct. 12, 1835, married
Dec. 29, 1853, Richard Cabeeri, and both are
living- near Aledo, Ills. ; Mary Elizabeth, born
July 25, 1837, married, April 27, 1859, Rob-
ert Cabeen, who died, his widow residing at
Seaton, 111., until her death in 1905 ; George
W., born Jan. 3, 1839, served in the Civil war
with his brother, being a member of the 83d 111.
V. I., and participating in the battles of Fort
Donelson, Shiloh, Pittsburg Landing, and the
siege of Vicksburg; Robert Marion, born
March 23, 1841, married, Dec. 24, 1863, Car-
oline Breckenridge, who died in Illinois, and
he married again and now lives in Missouri ;
rVlice L., born Sept. 3, 1843, married Jan. i,
1861, Hiram Dunlap, emigrated to California,
where she now resides a widow ; Tirzah, born
Feb. 23, 1845, married, Jan. 22, 1866, Newton
Dunlap, a member of the 83rd 111. V. I., who
lost a leg in battle, and he died after removing
to Lyons, Ark., she then returning to her home
in Viola, 111. ; Margaretta Rachel, born April
30, 1847, ^istl July 6, i860; Amanda Violet,
born Sept. 16, 1849, married Feb. 26, 1S68,
Otis Morey, and they reside in Kansas.

John Colby Pinkerton, the father of our
subject, was born Sept. 28, 1833, near War-
ren, Ohio. He received a meager education,
attending school but two' years. In 1850 he
went with the family to Illinois, and broke
prairie for jiis father with fi\-e yoke of oxen.



49-'



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



\Mien he became of age he acquired eighty
acres of land, which he cuhivated. He re-
mained at home looking after the farms of his
father and brothers, while they were away in
the war. On March 17, 1859, he was married
to Miss Mary J. Jackson, of West Middlesex,
Mercer .Co., Pa. Mrs. Pinkerton's oldest sis-
ter, Sarah, married John Carnahan, and went
to fiercer Co., III., in 1848. This couple lived
near the Pinkertons, and when on the visit
to her sister, the future Mrs. Pinkerton met
Mr. Pinkerton.

After their marriage iMr. and Mrs. Pink-
erton settled on his eighty-acre tract, where
they remained until 1878, in which year he
sold his farm and purchased 120 acres near
\'iola. 111., where he lived until his death,
March 25, 1905. The mother died June 23,
1895. This good couple joined the Associate
Reformed Congregation founded in 1855. In
Pennsylvania Mrs. Pinkerton had been a Pres-
byterian, and, not caring to join the Metho-
dists, persuaded Mr. Pinkerton to join the
United Presbyterian Church. In politics Mr.
Pinkerton was a Republican in his early man-
hood, later becoming a Prohibitionist. The
children born to Mr. and Mrs. Pinkerton nvere :
Herbert \Y., born Feb. 24, i860, died at the
age of live years; Robert Grant ; William J.,
born July 22, 1868, resides in Chicago ; John S.,
born Jan. 18, 1874, married, Dec. 29, 1897,
Laura B. Beard, and lives on a part of the
home farm; and Thomas R., born March 22,
1878, married, June 15, 1904, Lillian Gilland,
and resides on the home farm.

Robert Grank Pinkerton was born on the
homestead near Viola, III, Nov. 27, 1863, and
attended the district schools of his home local-
ity until 1880. In the fall of that year he went
to Aledo Academy, Aledo, Mercer Co., 111.,
where for three years he studied under Pro-
fessor J. R. Wylie, now of Denver, Colo. Mr.
Pinkerton graduated from the latter institu-
tion in the class of 1883, and then taught
school for one year. In the fall of 1884 he
entered Monmouth College, Monmouth, 111.,
and took a classical course, graduating in June,
1889. He then entered Xenia Theological
Seminary of the U. P. Church, Xenia, Ohio,
and spent there three years, graduating in
1892. He had been licensed to preach the
Gospel in 1891 by the Rock Island (111.) Pres-
bytery. He preached his first sermon in the
home church at Viola, 111., from the text, John



3 : 3-5. His first charge was the Guinston U. P.
Church in Lower Chanceford township, York
Co., Pa., he preaching there the first Sabbath in
May, 1892. This congregation our subject
took charge of in August, 1892, and he was
ordained and installed as pastor, September
27th, of the same year. The congregation of
which he is pastor was founded in the fall of
1754. Rev. James Clarkson was the first pas-
tor. Mr. Pinkerton is the sixth pastor, his
predecessor being Rev. Samuel Jamison, D. D.

On Oct. 12, 1892, Mr. Pinkerton was mar-
ried, by the Rev. Shively, to Miss May Belle
Pierson, of Israel township, Preble Co., Ohio,
daughter of Stephen and Esther (Elliott)
Pierson. Mr. Pinkerton first met his wife in
the halls of Xenia Seminary, while she was
there on a visit to a friend. Stephen Pierson
was born March 12, 1823, at Cape May, N. J.,
and died in Preble Co., Ohio, June 4, 1892.
He was a carriage builder by trade, and was
a soldier in the Civil war, and a descendant
of Erickson, the gun manufacturer. Mrs.
Pierson died Dec. 23, 1881.

The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Pinker-
ton are as follows: Mary Esther, born Aug. 11,
1893; and' John Cooper, born July 26, 1896.
In his political faith Mr. Pinkerton is a stanch
Prohibitionist.

HENRY M. STOKES. Teaching and
public service have frequently been stepping
stones to permanent and prosperous business
careers, a fact made evident in the life of
Henry M. Stokes, manager of the Hanover
(Pa.) Creamery Company. Mr. Stokes was
born near Millersville, Lancaster county. Pa.,
Sept. 16, 1862, the son of Jacob R. and' Mary
(Herman) Stokes. The father died in 1901
aged sixty-two years; the mother is still liv-
ing, on the old homestead near Marticville,
Lancaster county.

Henry M. received a liberal education. He
at first attended the district schools in the vicin-
ity of his home and later entered the Millers-
ville State Normal school, where he prepared
for teaching. During the nine years that fol-
lowed the completion oi his education M^r.
Stokes was engaged in that profession. He
then secured a position in the government mail
service, and was employed on the route be-
tween New York and ' Pittsburg. Believing
that business offered a more permanent and
better future for the voung man, Mr. Stokes



BIOGRAPHICAL



493



resigned his go\-eniment position to Ijecome
contidential man for Reist, Xissley & Co.,
extensi\'ely engaged in the creamery luisiness
at Mt. Joy. Here Mr. Stokes gained a com-
plete knowledge oi the creamery business and
had supervision over an extensive plant. This
position he resigned in 1899 to take charge of
the Hanover Creamery Co.'s plant at Hanover,
of which firm he later became head. The cream-
ery is one of the largest and best equipped in
that part of the State, having been established
in 1890. It is operated by steam power and
equipped with the latest and most modern ma-
chinery. Because of these improved appli-
ances and the efficient management, the prod-
uct of the company — butter — is of a superior
quality, which finds a ready market. The
plant is located near the Pennsylvania & West-
ern Maryland railroad, and its milk supply is
received from the farms in the vicinity of
Hanover. Much other business is done by the
company, which operates eight other cream-
eries, located at Littlestown, Pa., Sells Station,
Pa., Tavern (two), Taney town, Md., Wentz,
Md., New Oxford, Pa., and Bittingtr, Peiui-
sylvania.

Mr. Stokes married April 15, 1884, Fan-
nie A., daughter of William and Anna (Gish)
Buller, of Florin, Pa. Three children have
been born to Mr. and IMrs. Stokes, Leroy B.
and Henry ]\I. both being students at the Han-
over public schools. Guy, the second child,
died in infancv. Mr. Stokes is a member of
Patmos Lodge, No. 348, A. F. & A. M. ; Get-
tysburg Chapter, R. A. M. ; Gett)'sburg Com-
mandery, Knights Templar ; and also of the or-
der of Elks. In politics he is a Republican.
In 1903 he was elected a member of the
borough co'uncil for the First ward, and soon
after he was elected president of the council,
a position which he now holds. Mr. Stokes
has made many friends and is held in the high-
est esteem. In his business in the community
he has shown himself prudent, honest and en-
ergetic, and in social life an affable and intel-
ligent gentleman.

REV. ALBERT M. HEILIMAN, A. M.,
pastor of the Lutheran Church at Shrewsbury,
York county, was born Feb. 27, 1867, in Para-
dise township, that county, a son of Peter W.
and Deliah (Maul) Heilman. Peter Heilman,
the paternal grandfather, was born in Lebanon
county, Pa., where he followed the vocation of



farming. Lie married a :\Iiss \\\jU and thev
had children: Peter W. ; Elias; Daniel; Julia,
who married Peter Grimm. The maternal
grandfather was Solomon ^laul, a farmer of
York county, and he maried a member of the
Menges family. They had the following chil-
dren : Deliah; Savilla, who married Joshua
Reynolds; Sarah, wife of Andrew Rudisill :
Sophia, Mrs. Valentine Haar; Susan, who
married Theopilus Haar; and Rolandus. On
the paternal side the family belonged tu the
Reformed Church, and on the maternal, to the
Lutheran faith. Peter W. Heilman, the father,
was a farmer and a carpenter and lived in York
county, owning land in Paradise township. He
was a member of the Reformed Church. He
married Deliah Alaul and they had these chil-
dren : Rev. Howard M., D. D. ; John M. ;
Emma, who married C. E. Little; Sarah, who
married J. Q. A. ]\Iummert; Charles: A. }il.
and Peter M.

Rev. Albert :M. Heilman attended first the
public schools of his native township and then
pursued a special course at New Oxford and
Gettysburg, following which, in 1883-85. he
taught school. In 1885 he entered the Penn-
sylvania College at Gettysburg, and in 1889
was graduated there with high honors, being
the salutatorian of his class. He then entered
the Gettysburg Theological Seminarv and was
graduated from that institution in' 1S92, al-
though he had been licensed to preach in 1891.

Rev. ilr. Heilman was first installed at the
Dallastown Church, in the spring of 1892,
where he remained until the fall of 1894, when
he assumed the Shrewsbury charge. This is
a very important field and no indifferent
preacher or pastor, if the synod contains such,
would be acceptable there. The membership
of his church includes educated, prominent and
pious people to the number of 450, and his Sun-
day school has 300 members. Much of the
prevailing interest is directly attributable to
the personal work of Mr. Heilman, whose ir-
reproachable character and Christian fellow-
ship have brought him the confidence, esteem
and affection of his people.

In 1892 ]\Ir. Heilman was married to Anna
C. ^^'ecker, daughter of Frederick \\'ecker. of
York, and they have two intelligent, manlv
boys— Albert H. j\I. and Paul M.

Mr. Heilman has been chairman of the
York County Missionary Society for the past
three years and in 1893 "^"^'^s selected as dele-



494



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



gate to the general synod convention which
met at Baltimore. Both as pastor and preacher
Mr. Heilman is very popular. He has a fine
delivery and earnest manner and his presenta-
tion of the truth is interesting as well as con-
vincing. He has done a great work in this
field, and it is the fervent hope of not only the
members of his immediate pastorate, but of all
Avho know him, that he may be permitted to
labor many years and live to see even more
abundant fruits.

ROBERT A. HILDEBRAND, M. D. It
cannot be other than gratifying to note that
in York county are to be found many citizens,
representative in their respective fields of en-
deavor, who ha-\'e been here resident from the
time of their birth and who stand as scions of
substantial pioneer stock. Of this worthy con-
tingent is Dr. Hildebrand, who is one of the
skilled physicians and' surgeons of his native
county, and one of its popular and public-spir-
ited young men, being established in an excel-
lent practice in the attractive village of Glen
Rock.

Dr. Hildebrand was born in the town of
Loganville, York county, March 19, 1872, a
son of Deitrich and Maria (Leader) Hilde-
brand, both of whom were likewise born and
reared in that county. For many years they
have been numbered among the highly esteemed
citizens of Loganville, where the father has
been engaged at his trade, that of a shoemaker,
during the major portion of his active business
career. For the past thirty years he has also
been an incumbent of the oifice of justice of the
peace, in which he has served with signal abil-
ity and fidelity, commanding the respect and
confidence of all with whom he has had deal-
ings. He has ever been a stalwart Republi-
can in his political proclivities and has been an
active worker in its local ranks, while both he
and his wife are prominent and valued mem-
€rs of the Reformed Church in their home town
and for a number of years past he has been a
member of the ofiicial board of the church. His
children are three in number, namely : Dr.
Charles G., who is a representative physician
of the county, being engaged in practice in Lo-
ganville; Anna, who is the wife of Moses M.
Snyder, a well-known musician of that place;
and Dr. Robert A. Caspar ITildebrand, the
grandfather of the Doctor, was the founder of
the family in York county, where he located



when a young man. He was of German lineage
and by trade a shoemaker. Both he and his
wife, whose maiden name was Ness and who
was born and reared in York county, died in
Loganville, where they had maintained their
home for many years.

Dr. Robert A. Hildebrand passed his boy-
hood days in his native town, in whose public
schools he secured his preliminary educational
discipline, making such an effective use of the
opportunities there offered that, after graduat-
ing from the Loganville High school, he be-
came eligible for pedagogic honors, and suc-
cessfully engaged in teaching in the district
schools of the county for a period of five years.
In 1888 he entered the State Normal school
at Millersville. where he remained as a student
for two years. Having, in the meantime, de-
termined to adopt the medical profession as
his vocation in life, he began his course of tech-
nical reading under the preceptorship of his
brother, at Loganville, continuing his studies
under these conditions until the autumn of
1892, when he was matriculated at the College
of Physicians & Surgeons, Baltimore, Md.,
where he completed the prescribed course and
was graduated with his professional degree as
a member of the class of 1895. Shortly after
his graduation the Doctor located in Glen Rock,
where he has since been established in practice
and where he has made a distinctive success
and a high reputation in his chosen sphere of
endeavor. For six years he was associated in
practice with Dr. George P. Yost, and since
that partnership was dissolved he has con-
ducted his practice individually, receiving a
representative support and having made a rec-
ord which fully establishes his pfestige and
success in his chosen profession. He is a mem-
ber of the York County Medical Society, and
also of the Knights of Pythias and the Junior
Order of United American Mechanics, while
he gives his allegiance to the Republican party
in matters political.

On the 23rd of June, 1896, Dr. Hildebrand
was united in marriage to Lucy Stermer, who
was born and reared in York county, being a
daughter of John Stermer, who is a representa-
tive citizen of Hametown, York county, where
he is engaged in agricultural pursuits. Dr.
and Mrs. Hildebrand have one child — a son,
Claire S., who was born on the I3tli of June.
1898.



BIOGRAPHICAL



49=i



HON. JOHN F. EVANS, representative
from tlie Upper district of York county, and
a man of prominence and influence in Frank-
lin township, was born Aug. 15, 1878, son of
John W. and Elizabeth (Kinter) Evans.

Joseph Evans, grandfather of John F., was
a wagonmaker and farmer. He had five chil-
dren : John W., George, Joseph, Margaret and
Mary. They were Lutherans in religious be-
lief, and he was a Whig in politics.

John W. Evans was born in Franklin
township, received a common school educa-
tion, and learned the wagonmaker's trade with
his father, following this occupation for sev-
eral years. He then purchased a farm which
he is now successfully operating. He married
Elizabeth Kinter, daughter of Michael Kinter,
and to this union five children have been born :
Emma, who married George Berkheimer ;
Amanda, who married George Bowman ; Sadie,
married to Monroe Wiley; John F., twin of
Sadie ; and Harry M., a teacher. Mr. Evans
enlisted in June, 1862, for service in the Civil
war. He is a member of the U. B. Church.
In politics he votes the Republican ticket, and
he has held the offices of assessor, school
director, auditor and township treasurer. For
t^\•enty-two years he taught school, becoming
very well kno\\-n as an educator.

John F. Evans was educated in the district
schools, and at the age of eighteen years com-
menced teaching school. He has followed that
as a profession up to the present time, and is
well and favorabl}' known. In 1904 he was
elected on the Republican ticket, by a large
majority, representative of the northern part
of York county, being the first Republican ever
elected to that position. Mr. Evans is not
married.

WALTER D. BAHN, ex-president of the
First National Bank of New Freedom, has
spent his entire life in York county. He was
born Jan. 20, 1876, son of Milton W. and
Ellen S. (Emig) Bahn. David Bahn, his
grandfather, was a York county farmer and
the father of four children: Milton W., father
of Walter D. ; Elnora, who married David
•Strickler; Caroline, wife of William Dietz,
and one who died in infancy. Milton W. Bahn
was a merchant and railroad ag"ent (for many
years stationed at New Freedom ) , and was
also general manager of the Stewartstown
"branch of the Northern Central Railroad. He
Avas also postmaster of New Freedom for sev-



eral )-ears and served as chief burgess. He
now resides in York where he lives a retired
life. The children born to him were: Lillv,
deceased; Corrinne E., deceased; iVrthur and
Walter D.

Walter D. Bahn attended the public schools
of New Freedom, after which he attended the
academy at Shrewsbury, the high school at
York and the business college at Baltimore,
graduating from the last named on April 5,
1895. For one year he clerked at New Free-
dom in the Northern Central Railroad office,
in April, 1896, embarking in the general mer-
chandise business with a Mr. Gore, under the
firm name of Gore & Bahn. This partn&j -
ship was dissolved April i, 1900, since which
time Mr. Bahn has engaged in the milling,
flour and feed business, in which he has been
eminently successful.

The First National Bank of New Freedom
was organized April 11, 1903, with a capital
stock of $50,000, and Mr. Bahn was chosen
its head, enjoying the distinction of being the
youngest bank president in the State. Mr.
Bahn also has other interests, being a stock-
holder and director of the White Hall Milling
Company, of White Hall, Md. Fraternally
he is connected with the Shrewsbury Lodge of
A. F. & A. M., Knights of Pythias, Red Alen
and Junior Order of American Mechanics.
Mr. Bahn attends the Reformed Church of
York, of which he is a liberal supporter. He
has been very successful and has gained
a position of highest importance in his
line. While never seeking office he has always
taken a public spirited interest in the welfare
of the town, and has generously supported
.every movement which his judgment has led
him to regard as beneficial. He is universally
esteemed and occupies a high social position.

Mr. Bahn has an interesting family record
on his mother's side, his grandfather being
John Emig, who was a merchant and farmer
residing at Emigsville. Flis children were:
William H. ; Edward K. ; J. Albert ; Louisa,
who married John Bollinger; Emma J., who
married John Ruby; Ellen, the mother of
Walter D. Bahn; Mary J.; Belle: Flora A.,
who married A. K. Dice; and Alice, the wife
of Frank Shenberger.

RALPH A. HARDING, M. D., a leading
physician of Lewisberry, Newberry township.
York county, was born in \\"ashington, D. C.
Sept. 12, 1872, son of Josiah F. and Annie



496



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



(Watt) Harding. His grandfather was a na-
tive of tlie State of Maine and a farmer by
occupation. He served in the Legislature with
James G. Blaine.

Josiah F. Harding, born in 1843 ""^ Elaine,
was a soldier in the Civil war. At the time of
his death, which occurred in 1873, he was hold-
ing a government position at Washington, D.
C, where his widow still resides. He married
Annie \\'att, daughter of James Watt, and the
children born to them were: Frank E., who
resides in Washington. D. C. ; James, who died
at the age of eleven months; and Ralph A., our
subject.

Ralph A. Harding was born Sept. 12,
1872. He attended the public schools of his
native place, then went to the high school, and
graduated from Columbia University in 1895,
with high honors. He commenced practice in
Washington, D. C, locating later at Port Clin-
ton, Schuylkill county, where he followed his
profession until 1898, when he removed to
York. Remaining there until September,
1903, he then removed to Lewisberry borough,
succeeding J. C. Stern, wdiom he bought out.
His practice is a large one, and is increasing
steadily as his skill is being recognized.

In 1896 Dr. Hardi'ng married Jean B.
Forster, daughter of Thomas W. Forster, of
Clinton county. Dr. Harding, on leaving
York, resigned the position of secretary of the
York County Medical Society, which he had
held for some time. In politics the Doctor is
a Republican, but he has never aspired to pub-
lic office. Both in the profession and in social
life he stands very high.

WILLIAM N. MORNINGSTAR, a well
known and highly respected citizen of North
York borough, superintendent of the Prospect
Hill cemetery, which position has descended
to him from his grandfather and father, was
born in 1867, at North York borough, son of
Michael and M'ary (Hess) Morningstar.

Peter Morningstar, the great-grandfather
of W^illiam N., was a native of Germany, and
coming to America wdth his family landed in
New York City, where he remained a short
time. He later removed to Longstown, York
Co., Pa., and from there removed to Mifflin
county, where he followed farming all his life.

Michael Morningstar, the grandfather of
our subject, came to America with his father
at the age of six years. He followed farming



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 94 of 201)