Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 97 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 97 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


507



at Red Lion. At the end of five years his store
was partly burned, and he sold out what was
saved of the stock and returned to teaching.
Six years were spent in the Red Lion schools,
where he taught successively all grades from
the primary to the grammar. In 1885 Mr.
Stein had built a house in Freysville, and after
several years in Red Lion he returned in 1899
to this home, although still teaching in the
former place. In 1902 he took up the life in-
surance business, representing the Fidelity
Mutual Life Company of Philadelphia, and he
is still thus engaged.

Prof. Stein, as he is generally called, has
long been prominent in local musical circles,
is a member of the York Oratorio Society,
and for the past twenty years has been a teacher
of both vocal and instrumental music, besides
leading the choir in church. With his family
he belongs to the Freysville Evangelical Lu-
theran Church, where he has filled the office of
deacon. He has always been an enthusiastic
Sunday-school worker, and for a score of years
has held the office of superintendent. He be-
gan with an attendance of forty, but so success-
ful have been his methods that he has now an-
enrollment of 230. In politics he is a Repub-
lican, and cast his first vote for Garfield. Fra-
ternally he belongs to Katahdin Lodge, No.
500, I. O. O. F., of Red Lion.

On April 9, 1882, in Windsor township.
Prof. Stein was married to Miss Nancy Jane
\Vagner, who was born at Longstown, daugh-
ter of John and Sarah Ann (Frey) Wagner.
Their union has been blessed with three chil-
dren, born as follows: Curwin H., Nov. 6,
1884, a student in the York Collegiate Insti-
tute; Waher Scott, born May 15, 1887, who
lived only four years ; and jN'Iabel Irene, born
Sept. 8, 1895.

EDWARD CHAPIN, a leading member
of the York county Bar, and for twenty-one
years the efficient secretary of the York County
Agricultural Society, is a son of Edward
Chapin, who was for fifty-five years a lead-
ing practicing attorney in the courts of York
county.

Edward Chapin, Sr., was born in Rocky
Hill, Conn., Feb. 19, 1799, and came on both
sides from a distingau'shed line of ancestry. His
maternal great-grandfather was the celebrated
Jonathan Edwards, for many years president
of the College of New Jersey, and the ablest



and most noted of American theologians,
whose fame was world-wide. The maternal
grandfather of Edward Chapin, Sr., was Jon-
athan Edwards, familiarly known as "the sec-
ond President Edwards," who was president
of LTnion College. Mr. Chapin's forefathers,
like himself, were graduates of Yale College.
His father, the Rev. Cah'in Chapin, D. D.,
was a recognized leader in the Congregational
Church of Connecticut. He was president (jf
Union College, and was the originator of the
movement to prohibit by law all traffic in in-
toxicating lic|uors, being an earnest advocate
of such reform throughout his life.

The original ancestor of the Chapin family
in America was Deacon Samuel Chapin, the
first of the name to emigrate from England to
this country, and who settled in New England.
His descendants, numbering over four thou-
sand, and including such representative Ameri-
cans in professional, political and literary life
as Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, Dr. J. G. Hol-
land, Hon. Solomon Foote (United States
senator from Vermont), and others, held a re-
union in Springfield, Mass., some years ago:
Among the lineal descendants of Deacon Sam-
uel Chapin is the Adams family of Massa-
chusetts, which has furnished two Presidents
of the United States.

Edward Chapin, Sr., was graduated at
Yale College in 181 9, and admitted to the York
Bar in 1823. There he soon attained a repu-
tation as an able lawyer and profound thinker,
and was counsel in many of the most import-
ant cases tried in York and Adams counties,
in which his legal arguments were acknowl-
edged to be the ablest, most thorough and ex-
haustive of any lawyer at the Bar. Mr. Chapin
was an intimate personal friend of Hon. Thad-
deus Stevens, and was associated with him in
many important cases. Mr. Chapin was a gen-
tleman of general culture and great learning,
having a knowledge of most branches of nat-
ural science, and delighting, as a recreation
from heavier labors, in the cultivation of fruits,
flowers and vegetables. That he was also
fond of robust sports is evidenced by his prow-
ess in gunning. He bore an irreproachable
reputation, and as a lawyer stands unsurpassed
in the history of York county. Mr. Chapin
died March 17, 1869, leaving a widow, since
deceased, a daughter, married to Edward
Evans, and a son, Edward, the attornev of
York.



5oS



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PEXXSYLVANIA



ALLEX ISRAEL FREY. secretary of
the Stewartstown Lumber Company, president
of the Stewartstown ^Vater Company, secre-
tary of the Stewartstown Building- & Loan
Association, and identified also with the po-
litical affairs of York county, was born in Sep-
tember, 1859, in York township. He is a son
of Reuben and Mary (Seider) Erey.

The Frey family is probably of German
extraction. Samuel Erey, the paternal grand-
father, was a limeburner and dealer living in
^^'oodland, Pa. He settled in the eastern part
of York county at a very early day and the
village of Ereystown was named in his honor.
He was a man whose upright life and public
services won him the confidence of his fellow-
citizens, as was shown by his election to the
responsible office of treasurer O'f York county.
He reared a large family, his five sons being
Reuben. Emanuel. Israel. Samuel and Levi.

The maternal grandfather of Allen I. Frey
was George Seider, who throughout life was a
shoemaker in the city of York. His only
daughter. ]^Iary, became the mother of Allen
I., and of a large family which is well and
favorably known all over York county.

Reuben Erey was a substantial farmer of
Shrewsbury township for many years. His
death took place in 1885, when he was fifty-
nine years old. He was a quiet, home-loving
man, interested in the schools of his district,
serving as one of the directors and being also
elected to the office of township assessor. His
family consisted of eleven children, as follows:
Levi; George P., deceased; Franklin, de-
ceased ; Ellen, deceased ; Amanda, wife of Jo-
seph Dise, of Glen Rock, York county ; Reu-
ben E. ; Mary A., wife of B. S. Stermer;
Allen I.; Sarah J., wife of Albert G. Strayer;
\Villiam J., and George F. Both Levi and
Franklin participated in the Civil war. The
latter entered the army in 1864, when but a lad
C'f fourteen years, and his young life was prob-
ably an early sacrifice, as his fate is imknown.

Allen I. Erey completed the common-school
course at the age of fifteen years, but this edu-
cation in no way satisfied him, and he com-
menced to teach school in order to provide
himself with the means to further his studies.
His teaching e.xperience covered twelve terms
and gave him the opportunity of enjoying three
terms at the Normal School under Prof. A.
W. Gray, of Glen Rock, and a full course at
the Iron City Business College at Pittsburg,
where he p'raduated in 1880.



For a considerable time Mr. Erey was man-
ager of the Hoshour, Dise & Co. lumber yard
at Stewartstown, and in 1897 became a stock-
holder, as well as secretary, of the Stewarts-
town Lumber Company; he has most capably
filled the latter position ever siiice and has
also been actively interested in the other enter-
prises mentioned in the opening of this sketch.
These, however, do not cover all of Mr. Frey's
activities. He has always been prominent in
the councils of the Democratic party and on
many occasions has been shown marks of pub-
lic approval. In 1902 he was brought forward
by his party as its candidate for the State
Legislature. For a period of seven years he
served in the borough council and for a similar
time on the school board. For fi\-e years he
was a justice of the peace, meeting with the
approval of the public during that time and
adding to his reputation as a man of high
character and of unquestioned integrity. At
present he is a notary public.

In 1880 Mr. Frey was married to ^Maggie
A. Seitz, a daughter of Adam D. Seitz, a sub-
stantial farmer of York county. They had one
daughter, Bertha, who is now the wife
of George W. Sensbach, manager of a furni-
ture factory at Ronceverte, W. Va. She is a
graduate of the Millersville State Xormal
School and prior to her marriage, May 17,
1905, had for four years been one of the
county's most successful teachers. She is a
lady of many accomplishments and a favorite
in social circles. Mr. Frey's wife and daughter
belong to the Presbyterian Church in the
borougli, to which organization he is a gener-
ous contributor. He has long been considei-ed
one of the representative men of the borough
and county, a type of good citizen which has
made the name of York county respected all
over the State. His determination to secure
and utilize an advanced education but shows
one of his characteristics. His patient, perse-
\-ering efforts, combined with an honest up-
right life and consideration for those with
whom duty or pleasure has brought him into
contact, have resulted in making him the es-
teemed and respected man he is.

WILLIAM AURELIUS MILLER, an
ex-district attorney, of York city, is a son of
the late lamented and revered Dr. J. O. Miller,
who was for nearly fifty years the beloved
pastor of Trinity Reformed Church at York,
Pennsvlvania. -5



i



BIOGRAPHICAL



509



The earliest authentic record of this family
begins at the time ot their removal from along
the Rhine, together with other persecuted
Huguenot fanulies, to the forests of Virginia
and rennsylvania. William A. Miller's grand-
father was a manufacturer of hats and gloves,
the two then being- combined. His son, the
Rev. J. O. Miller, was born in Woodstock, Va.,
and in early boyhood removed to Reading,
Pa. He entered the ministry of the German
Reformed Church in young manhood, and for
over a half century was one of the leading
spirits in the educational and religious work
of that denomination, the greatest part of the
time as pastor of Trinity Reformed Church at
York, Pa., which he was instrinnental in hav-
ing built. As trustee of Franklin and Marshall
College, Lancaster, Pa., during" most of that
time, he wielded a powerful and salutary influ-
ence on the vouth of the church and the State.
He died in York, April 18, 1898. Dr. ]\Iiller"s
wife was a member of an old and wealthj^ Vir-
ginia family. Her maiden name was Augusta
Virginia Lightfoot McChesney, and her father,
Dr. John ilcChesney, of Augiista county, a
graduate of JelTerson JNIedical College, Phila-
delphia, was a physician of well- known ability
and the owner of a vast plantation. The chil-
dren born to Dr. and Mrs. ]\Iiller were four in
number, one dying in infancy. Those living
are: Mary O., wife of Clayton J. \\'allace, of
Wallace & Son, dealers in boots and shoes : T.
^IcChesney, superintendent for John Dobbling,
a contractor, York; and ^^'illiam Aurelius.

Hon. \A'illiam A. Miller had the advantages
of a reiined home and educational privileges
in his j-outh. He attended York County Acad-
emy under Prof. George W. Ruby, and later
entered Franklin and Marshall College, at Lan-
caster, Pa., graduating in 18S0. Entering the
law office of Judge John Gibson, now deceased,
he in 1882 passed the examination and was
admitted to the Bar of York county. His ad-
mission to practice in the higher courts soon
followed. Success has attended his efforts in
the law, and he has risen by the laborious but
sure route. Mr. Aliller was county solicitor
and deputy register of wills of the county of
York, and finally filled the more important of-
fice of district attorney.

He was married at York, Pa., Oct. 28,
1903, to Miss Lila A. Gardner, a daughter of
Henry J. Gardner, a retired farmer of Y"ork
countv.



Mr. ]\Iiller is of a genial and companion-
able nature and has hosts of friends in and
about York. He is a prominent Mason and
has represented his lodge in the grand body of
the State. An active member of the clnnxh
which his sainted father built, he is ofticially
connected with the board.

LUTHER E. ZECH. .M. D., who for a
number of years has been located in Xew Sa-
lem borough, York county, is one of the best
known members of the medical profession in
North Codorus township, where he has spent
most of his life. He was born in that township,
Feb. 25, 1862, son of \\"illiam Zech.

^Michael Zech, his grandfather, was a
farmer of Yoi'k township, and died at the age
of eighty years, and was buried at the Inners
Church. He was twice married, his first wite
being a Miss Hartman, and his second ]\Irs.
Glatfelter, and he had a very large family.

William Zech. father of the Doctor, was
born in York township, and received a com-
mon school education. He was a lifelong
farmer, and died on his farm in North Codorus
township at the age of fifty-seven years. He
married Annie Rohrbaugh, daughter of George
Rohrbaugh. and she still survives, making her
home on the old homestead in North Codorus
township, where her husband died. Their
children were : Annie M., wife of Franklin
T. Bentz, lives in North Codorus township;
Luther E. ; and Agnes, wife of Henry Bear.
also lives in North Codorus township.

Luther E. Zech attended the township
schools until seventeen years of age, and then
he attended the York County Normal, and
after leaving the latter institution, he taught
school for nine terms. At the end of this time
Dr. Zech started reading medicine with Dr.
Snodgrass, with whom he continued two years
at New Salem. This study was supplemented
by a course at the University of Maryland,
from which he was graduated ^^вАҐith honors in
1892. Choosing for his location the pleasant
village of New Salem, the Doctor settled there
in the practice of his profession, and there he
has remained to the present time, ha\Hng a
large and lucrative practice. Dr. Zech mar-
ried Mary Kessler, daughter of George and
Emma (Cramer) Kessler, and they have had
children : Lloyd, a dental student with Dr. C.
P. Rice (dentist) of York, as his preceptor,
and taking a course of lectures at the Phila-



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PEXXSYLVANIA



delphia (Pa.) Dental College (freshman
year) ; and Harry, now in his sophomore year
at Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia.
Both of the Doctor's sons taught school in the
township.

Dr. Zech is a Democrat, and has served
on the school board for ten years. He is a
member of the Lutheran Church, is chorister,
superintendent of the Sunday-school, and very
active in the work of the church. He is a
valued member of the York County Medical
Society, and of the Pennsylvania State Medical
Society.

ANDREW B. RUDISILL (deceased),
one of the honored and well-known pioneers
of York county, and at the time of his death
a resident of Penn township, was born on the
old Rudisill homestead in Heicfelberg (now
Penn) township, in October, 1820, son of An-
drew and Mary ( Bechtel) Rudisill. The father,
a prosperous farmer, was born on the same
farm in 1795, and his wife, Mary, was born
in Hanover, Pa., in 1794. She died in 1850.
She was a faithful wife, a devoted mother and
a consistent member of the Lutheran Church.
The paternal grandfather of Andrew B. Rudi-
sill was also a farmer, and he and his wife,
whose maiden name was Wilkinson, were the
parents of four boys and five girls. Andrew
Rudisill and wife, the parents of Andrew B.,
had seven children: Mary (deceased), Jake
(deceased), George (deceased), Sally (de-
ceased), Elizabeth (who resides in Adams
county. Pa.), Mary Ann (deceased), and An-
drew B.

Andrew B. Rudisill was reared a farmer
boy and sent to the pay school at New Balti-
more, where he pursued his studies for a time,
later attending a private school at Hanover.
After leaving school he engaged actively in
work on the farm until he was twenty-one
years old. He remained with his father until
the latter's death, about 1864, when he took
charge of the farm. Soon after his father's
death he bought the interests of the other heirs
and became sole owner of the homestead, a
farm^f 123 acres of choice limestone land in
a good state of cultivation, and with fine build-
ings. The house, a large substantial brick
structure, and the bank bam, 50 x 100 feet, in
good state of preservation, are among the best
in tlie township. ]\Ir. Rudisill always kept his



farm well stocked with high-grade horses and
cattle, and raised a considerable number of
mules, bu}-ing the latter when colts.

Air. Rudisill owned another fine farm in
Fenn township, containing seventy acres of
well cultivated land and provided with good
buildings. This farm he rented. Though Mr.
Rudisill was in his eighty-sixth year at the time
of his decease, which occurred April 3, 1906,
he managed the home farm with the aid
of hired help. Besides carrying on the

usual farm work, he also for many years was
successfully engaged in feeding hogs and cat-
tle. He was the owner of a grist and saw mill
which he operated for many years, and which
he recently rented. For twenty years he was
a stockholder and director of the First Na-
tional Bank of Hanover.

In 1893, the Rev. Dr. J. C. Koller officiat-
ing, Mr. Rudisill married Miss Margaret For-
ry, of York county, Pa., daughter of George
and Nancy (Boyer) Forry. In politics Mr.
Rudisill was a pronounced Democrat. He
never sought office for himself, but ever took
a lively interest in the success of his party and
the election of such of his friends as were can-
didates. As a man Mr. Rudisill was honest
in his dealings, firm in his convictions, and of
unquestioned integrity.

Mr. Rudisill was a member of St. Paul's
Lutheran Church, of New Baltimore, to which
Mrs. Rudisill also belongs.

FRIEZER ALTLAND, ex-county com-
missioner of York county. Pa., and a farmer
of Paradise township, was born on his father's
homestead in that township, Feb. 8, 1859.

Andrew Altland, grandfather of our sub-
ject, was reared in this section of York county,
his father, Andrew, having- come from Ger-
many. Grandfather Altland followed farming
and wagonmaking-, and was a prominent and
successful man of his day. He owned a fifty-
acre farm near Haystown, and a wagon shop,
and most of his life was spent in that section,
and there, too, his death occurred. He was
twice married, his first wife being a Miss Ot-
terman, by whom he had these children : John,
Jacob, Christina, Mrs. Stambaugh, and Mrs.
Peternian. His second wife, who was the
grandmother of our subject, bore the maiden
name of Sunday, and she and her husband had
two children : Michael and Elias: The land



BIOGRAPHICAL



upon which tlie Altland Lutlieran maeting'-
house was built, the first church being of logs,
was given by Andrew Altland, but whether
the grandfather or his father is not known.
One of the Ottermans g^ave land to the Lu-
theran congregation, receiving in return one
dollar to make the contract valid.

Elias Altland was born in Paradise town-
ship, and when a lad learned the carpenter's
trade. This he followed for many years, build-
ing many barns and residences in this section.
He finally turneld his attention to farming,
and owned a farm of forty-seven acres, which
is now in the possession of his son-in-law,
John C. Gruver. His next employment was
at cigarmaking, and in this line he continued
until his death, Aug. 4, 1899. He was a life-
long member of the Paradise Lutheran Church,
was treasurer thereof for many years, and also
held the office of deacon for a considerable
time. Li politics he was a stanch Democrat,
and he filled many township offices. He was
married to Miss Anna Mary Baker, daughter
of Peter Baker, and his wife, whose maiden
name was Moul. She still survives, being sev-
enty years of age, and is still a devoted member
of the Paradise Refomied Church. Air. and
Mrs. Atland had five children : Friezer ; Matilda
who married Jacob Mummert, of Adams
county ; Levi, who died in infancy ; Albert,
who died at the age of twenty-one years; and
Lizzie, JNIrs. John C. Gruver, of this town-
ship.

Friezer Altland was educated in the town-
ship schools, principally at Paradise church,
first teacher being Peter Strorbach, and some
of the others being Absalom Baker, Henry
Williams, Dr. Hollinger (now of Abbotts-
town), John and Adam Kinnerman, Peter
Burgard and Jackson Foss. He left school at
the age of eighteen years, and started life on
his father's farm. At the age of twenty-seven
years he received the wages that had accumu-
lated since the time he was twenty-one years
old, and this he spent with Mr. Swartz in
erecting a barn near Richmond, Va. His
father having been a carpenter our subject
bad learned much in that line, and was consid-
erably skilled with the tools. He was married
Aug. 27,. 1885, to Miss Mary Jane Harbold,
born in Dover township, daughter of Samuel
Flarbold ( who is now living with our subject),
a farmer and mason by trade. Her mother
was Harriet March, who is also living. After
marriage our svibject located on his father's



farm, upon which he now lives, and which he
still owns. He rented this farm for half shares
for seventeen years, and in 1903 purchased it.
It is a fine piece of property of 112 acres, and
he has cultivated it to a high state.

Mr. Altland has always taken an active in-
terest in politics, and is a tower of strength in
the Democratic party of the township. He
has served many times as committeeman, and
has missed no county convention for sixteen
years. He served as school director for two
terms, and although never asking or seeking for
office has served in many capacities. He was
elected county commissioner in the fall of 1899,
and served a term of three years, in 1901 serv-
ing as president of the Ixiard of commission-
ers. He has always been religiously inclined,
and at the age of sixteen years joined the Para-
dise Reformed Church, under Father Dininger.
He has attended Sunday-school since he was
seven years of age, when the services were
held in schoolhouses. He has been very active
in church service ever since joining, and for
some time was a teacher in the Sunday-school,
was deacon for four years, served as trustee,
and is now an elder in the church. Fraternally
Mr. Altland is connected with the P. O. S.
of A. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Alt-
land follow : Andrew P., born Nov. 4, 1888,
attending school ; Annie Estella, born Sept. 20,
1893; and Samuel Elias, born May 18, 1898.

ALLEN M. SEITZ, who is identified
with various business and social organiza-
tions of Glen Rock, was born Dec. 9, 1863, in
Shrewsbury township, son of George F. and
Louisa M. (Myers) Seitz.

Nicholas Seitz, the paternal grandfather,
w^as a miller and farmer of York countv. He
was twice married and by his first wife had
children : Stephen, deceased ; Rebecca, de-
ceased, who married Isaac Dise ; and George
F. His second wife was a Miss Klinefel-
ter, and they were the parents of these chil-
dren : Catherine, deceased; Butler FL, de-
ceased; Cora, who married Rev. A. H. Ir-
vin ; Clarence ; Flavel ; Henry, deceased ; and
several who died in infancy.

The maternal grandfather of Allen AI.
Seitz was John Myers, a farmer and wheel-
wright, who married a Miss Diehl, and had
these children: Louisa M., Henry D., Adam
D., Lydia, who married Andrew Brashinger,
and Catherine.

George F. Seitz was a miller and. farmer,



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



and served as burgess of Glen Rock for one
term. In 1889 he met with an accident in a
grist mill at Castle Fin, which resulted in his
death on Dec. 26th, of that year. Mr. Seitz
was a member of the Reformed Church. At his
death he left the following children : Barbara
E., who married John C. Stover; Robert M. ;
Allen M. ; and Nettie V.

Allen M. Seitz attended public school
in Shrewsbury township and Glen Rock bor-
ough, supplementing this with one term at the
York Normal School. He taught school for
one term, and was then employed by Frey,
Herbst & Co.,, of Glen Rock, for about three
years as bookkeeper. In 1886 he was elected
a justice of the peace, and he is now serving
his fourth term in that office. Mr. Seitz's de-
cisions are so just that they are seldom re-
versed by the higher courts. In the fall of
1889 Mr. Seitz was elected on the Democratic
ticket to the office of county prothonotary, re-
ceiving all but seventeen votes in Glen Rock,
which is a Republican town, and he carried the
county by 2382 majority, leading the ticket



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 97 of 201)