Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 98 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 98 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


by 176 votes. This will give some idea of the
popularity of Mr. Seitz and of the confidence
placed in him by the citizens of his community.
He has served six years as a member of the
school board, and in 1902 was chairman of the
York County Democratic Committee. Mr.
Seitz has large interests in the Glen Rock
Screen Works; is a stockholder in the Ameri-
can Wire Cloth Company; also in the Hellam
Distilling Co., of which he is the secretary and
treasurer and general manager, and other in-
dustries.

Fraternally Mr. Seitz is affiliated with
Shrewsbury Lodge, No. 423, A. F. & A. M. ;
Friendly Lodge, No. 287, Knights of Pythias ;
Rock Council, No. 54, Junior Order of LTnited
American Mechanics; York Lodge, No. 213,
B. P. O. Elks; and Gideon Grange, P. of LI.
In all of these societies Mr. Seitz is extremely
popular. Since its organization Mr. Seitz has
been president of the Glen Rock Hose and
Ladder Company, and is vice president of the
Pennsylvania Sportsmens Association.

At the age of thirteen Mr. Seitz joined the
Glen Rock Musical Association, a well-known
organization, which is in a most prosperous
condition and in demand all over the country.
Since joining the band Mr. Seitz has always
played the bass, and takes great pride in his
association with this organization.



CHRISTOPHER C. BURG, a successful
farmer residing in Hellam township, York
county, whose thorough knowledge ot his call-
ing has made him a recognized authority on
matters agricultural, comes of good old Hol-
land stock.

His grandfather, George, spelled the family
name Borgholthous, but this spelling was
changed by an act of the Legislature to Burg.
George Borgholthous and his wife Wilhelmina
emigrated with their family from the old home
in Amsterdam, Holland, to Lower Windsor
township, York Co., Pa., settling on 200 acres
of land. His brother was a wealthy merchant
in Amsterdam, and as he died leaving no fam-
ily his large estate was inherited by his brother,
George. To George and Wilhelmina Borghol-
thous were born the following family : Fred-
erick married a Miss Will, and moved to Free-
port, 111., where he died; Rickie married George
Thomas, moved to Freeport, 111., and died
there; Daniel died in Bartholomew county,
Ind., where he owned a section of land; Hen-
ry, who died in Lower Windsor township, mar-
ried (first) a Miss Dielinger and (second) a
Mrs. Einstein; Catherine (Kitt)') married
John Jacobs, and died in Chambersburg, Pa. ;
Philip ^V. is mentioned below ; Wilhelmina be-
came the wife of Dr. Bittner, of Lancaster
county.

Philip W. Burg was born in Amsterdam,
Holland, and settled with his parents in Lower
Windsor township, York county, he himself
eventuall}' becoming the owner of a fine farm
in that township. His death occurred at his
home April 8, 1856. In his religious faith he
was a Lutheran, and in politics a Whig. Philip
W. Burg was twice married. His first wife,
Eliza Dosch, who was born in York county,
daughter of Christopher Dosch, died Jan. 29,
1849. They were the parents of the following
children: George, born Nov. i, 1827. married
Sarah Kauffman, of Manor township, Lancas-
ter county, and died at Little Washington, Pa.,
June 4, 1863; Christopher C. is mentioned be-
low; William H., born Dec. 18, 1831. married
Miss Hinkle; Mary Jane, born Dec. 9, 1833,
died ag'ed eighteen; Caroline, born March 12,
1836, married Benjamin Herr, and resides in
Columbia, Pa. ; and Washington, born May
31, 1838, married M!ary Hines, and lives in
Erie, Pa. For his second wife Philip W. Burg
married Mary Eckert, who bore him three
sons: Horace, who died in infancv; Horace




'^ /{p.^ (lU/H^



BIOGRAPHICAL



513



(2), of Northumberland county; and Sum-
mers, who died young. Christopher Dosch,
father of Mrs. Eliza (Dosch) Burg, was born
in Germany, but after his marriage settled in
Lower Windsor township, York county, on
250 acres of land. There his death occurred.
His children were : Michael, who died in Lan-
caster county; George, who died in York in
the summer of 1903; Eliza, Mrs. Burg, and
Catherine, who married a Bahn, removed to
Juniata county. Pa., and there died.

Christopher C. Burg was born in Lower
Windsor township, March 15, 1829, and was
brought up on the home farm, receiving a
good practical training in agricultural work
at the hands of his experienced father. His
literary training was acquired in 'the public
school. He was an alert pupil, and possessing
an acquisitive mind stored up a good founda-
tion for his later acquirements. He delighted
in spelling- matches, and was always able to
hold his own. He taug^ht school two years in
Hellam township, and one in Lower ^^'ind-
sor. His father owned a mill, and there young-
Christopher was employed for five years.
AVhen he was twenty-four years old he began
boating on the canal, and continued that line
of work for ten years. In 1872 he began farm-
ing for himself, first locating in Spring Garden
township, where he spent four years. He then
located in Hellam township, on his fine farm of
106 acres.

^Ir. Burg's success has attracted consider-
able attention, and he is thoroughly posted on
the general farming conditions all over the
State. He is reporter for the Agricultural De-
partment, A\'ashington, D. C, and of the
Pennsylvania State Agricultural Department,
Harrisburg. He has been active politically in
die Republican party since the days of Fre-
mont, for whom he cast his first Presidential
vote. ■ From 1865 to 1872 he held the office
of justice of the peace of Wrightsville, and for
twelve years served as school director. He is
not a member of anj' church, but attends dif-
ferent ones.

On ]\Iarch 2, 1854, Mr. Burg was married
to Mary Hauser, daughter of the late John
Hauser. Five children were born to them :
(i) Philip W., born Sept. 26, 1856, is a farm-
er in Hellam township ; he married Leah Put-
ter, and has four children, Daisy, Walter, Al-
bert and Horace. (2) Sarah Eliza, born Jan.
4, 1859, married Augustus Bunn, and has one
son, Wilbur; they reside with her father. (3)



John Lincoln, burn June 22, 1861, resides at
Stony Brook ; he married Catherine Hake, and
has two children, Arthur and Grace. (4)
^lary Elmira, born Sept. 2j, 1863, married
Luther Landis, has several children, and lives
in Alanchester township. (5) Alfred H., born
July 29, 1866, married Emma Dare, and lives
in Philadelphia. Mrs. Burg, who was born
Dec. 5, 1828, died July 25, 1892, and was laid
to rest in the Wrightsville cemetery. She was
a member of the Lutheran Church.

John Hauser, Sr., grandfather of 3. Irs.
Burg, owned 500 acres of land in Hellam and
Spring Garden townships. His death occurred
in Flellam township, and his estate was divided
between his son John, Jr., and daughter, IM'ary.
The latter, however,. died single, and the former
came into possession of the entire property.
John Hauser, Jr., was well known and highly
esteemed. He married Sarah Strickler, and
became the father of eight children : John,
Mary, Sarah, Henry, ]\Iartha, Eliza, IMatilda
and Winfield.

RAYMOND EL:\IER BUTZ, M. D. A
successful and popular minister of the Re -
formed Church for a period of five years. Dr.
Raymond E. Butz, of York, is now equally
as popular and quite as successful in minister-
ing to the physical ills. .\ Christian physician
is a wonderful power in any community, and
as such Dr. Butz stands as a foremost citizen
of York today. Of German lineage, he in-
herits many of the good qualities of his an-
cestors, whose original home was not far from
the banks of the picturesque Rhine, and who,
seven generations ago, left home and friends
and came to a far country across the seas,
\\here, under a new government, and amid
strange surroundings, they built for themselves
homes at a place called Kutztown. The first
of the family to emigrate to America, was John
Butz, a farmer who located at "Butz gase" or
"Butz place," a name that it bears to this day.

The father of Dr, R. E. Butz was John
Butz, a bookkeeper who resided in Allentown,
Pa., and who died in 1890 at the age of fifty-
one years. He married [Maria Ziegler, who died
when the Doctor was only five years of age.
The children of this union are : Ida. widow of
Harry Cooper, of Allentown; ]\linnie, wife
of Lewis A. Peters, an insurance agent of that
place; and Raymond E.

Dr. Raymond Elmer Butz is a native of
Pennsvlvania, and was born in Allentown July



;5i4



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



6, 1864. His pre-scholastic training was re-
ceived in the' Allentown high school, from
which he was graduated in 1883. Later he
attended Muhlenberg College, graduating- in
1887, and the Reformed Theological Seminary
at Lancaster, Pa., graduating from the latter
in 1890. After having charge of a church in
Catawissa, Pa., where he was pastor for five
3'ears, he took up the study of medicine. After
graduating from the Medico-Chirurgical Col-
lege of Philadelphia in 1898, he located in
York, where he at once began the practice of
medicine. As a member of the York Medical
Society, he has been sent as a delegate to the
State and the American medical societies, to
both of which he belongs. He has been hon-
ored by being- elected to the vice-presidency of
the York Medical Society, and also a member
of the board of censors.

On Feb. 26, 1890, Dr. Butz was married
to Miss Mary Elizabeth Steinmetz, daughter
of Lewis' F. Steinmetzz, who resided at Lan-
caster at the date of his decease, thoug-h for
many years a resident of Middletown, Penn-
sylvania.

Dr. Butz has always been a deep student
of the profession, is a voracious reader of med-
ical literature, and at times has written from
the depths of his knowledge for the benefit of
his fellow practitioners. He makes a specialty
of hospital practice, and is ever alert for the
discovery of new methods. He is a gentleman
of broad and liberal culture, taking advantage
of every opportunity to ciiltivate his mjnd.
Just prior to his marriage he spent some eight
months most profitably on a trip to Europe,
and has traveled quite extensively in the
States. In political faith he favors the Repub-
lican party, and still keeps up his interest in
the Reformed Church, in whose ministry he
began his career. An earnest, conscientious
physician, a broad-minded, liberal and schol-
arly gentleman, he is a \'alued adjunct of
York's social circles.

WILLIAM F. BUSSER, a retired busi-
ness man of York, was born on South Queen
street, that city, April 14, 1844, son of John
and Matilda ( Reisinger) Busser.

Jacob Busser, his grandfather, came to the
United States from Switzerland with his fam-
ily early in the last century, and settled on
South Queen street, York. He was a brush-
maker by trade, and died there in 1850; his



wife, who had been Barbara Swope before
marriage, also died in that city.

John Busser, the father of William F.,
was born in York in 1819, and there he spent
his entire life. He was a contractor and
builder for many years, and in the fifties en-
gaged in the manufacture of candles and soap,
following- that occupation until his death in
1878. He married Matilda Reisinger, daugh-
ter of Samuel Reisinger, a farmer, and later
a contractor in excavating. Mrs. Busser died
in 1877, aged fifty-six years. The children
born to Mr. and Mrs. Busser were: William
F. ; Jacob R., deceased; Barbara S., now Mrs.
George Metzger, of Warren, Pa. ; Samuel Ed-
win, of Berkeley, Cal., superintendent of
libraries of the Santa Fe Railroad, a graduate
of Yale Theological department, and engaged
in the Congregational, and, later, the Episcopal
ministry; Flora R. ; Alma S., Mrs. Alfred
Sulzbaugh, of York; John H., the well known
cigar dealer of York; Oscar W., of Shadle &
Busser, photog-raphers of York; and Eliza
Mary, Mrs. Richard Davis, of Philadelphia.

William F. Busser, the first born of the
family, was educated in the public schools and
spent two years at York County Academy.
He then served as one of the first letter car-
riers under Alexander J. Fry, who was ap-
pointed by Lincoln. He received two cents for
every letter delivered, and at the end of the nine
months resigned his position in favor of his
brother, Jacob R., taking a position at the gen-
eral delivery window, which he held for two
and one-half years. He next learned teleg-
raphy at Goldsboro, which he followed for a
short time, spending the succeeding- eleven
years as ticket agent, at the Pennsylvania rail-
road station. In 1875 he became a traveling
salesman for a candle manufactory. The rail-
road company did not wish to accept his resig-
nation and raised' his salary in an unavailing
effort to keep him. He traveled for his father
for five years, and at the latter's death reor-
ganized the business in association with his
brother. Later he sold his interest to David
Rupp, and became superintendent of the York
Match Factory, a position he held for one year.
Mr. Busser then engaged with D. F. Stauffer,
a cracker manufacturer, and Stallman & Shet-
ter, wholesale tobacconists, maintaining these
connections for twenty years. In 1900 he re-
tired from active life, having accumulated such
a competency that further work is unnecessary.



BIOGRAPHICAL



515



Mr. Busser attributes his success to close
application to business, being known as one of
'the most strictly reliable salesmen on the
Pennsylvania circuit. He is the owner of
much real estate and a stockholder in a number
of companies. He is a member of Zion Lu-
theran Church, and one of its most liberal sup-
porters. In political matters he is a stanch Re-
publican. In 1 90 1 he was the candidate tor
mayor of York on the Republican ticket, but
after a gallant fight was defeated by Mr. Gib-
son, by a total of 174 votes. Although he
never sought the nomination — it ha\-ing in
fact been forced upon him — Mr. Busser un-
selfishly gave his services to his party. His
own ward gave him a nice majority, although
it had formerly been strongly Democratic.

In i86g Mr. Busser was married in York
to Mary C. Cox, of that city. His wife is the
daughter of Selman Cox, of Baltimore county,
Md., and before marriage was a telegraph
operator on the Pennsylvania railroad. Five
children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Bus-
ser : Frank S., a patent attorney in Phila-
delphia; Ralph C, at attorney of that city;
Harry C, with Company F, 3d Cavalry, U. S.
A., stationed at Fort Yellowstone, Yellowstone
Park; William C, a piano tuner for the
Weaver Piano Company; and Mary F., de-
ceased.

HARVEY W. HAINES, a well-known
educator and former State Senator, is de-
scended from an old Philadelphia family, wdio
later became identified with York county.

Henry Haines, grandfather of Harvey W.,
born in Philadelphia in 1814, of Revolutionary
ancestry, removed to York county and bought
300 acres of land in Windsor township, then
valued at $50 an acre. The balance of his life
was occupied in farming, and he died at the
age of sixty-five. His political principles co-
incided with those of the Democracy. He was
married in Philadelphia to Phoebe Troutman,
who was a niece of Gen. Moselle, a soldier in
the German army, who died in Germany, and
who was of the Irish aristocracy. ■ Their chil-
dren, several of whom were born before they
left Philadelphia, were : William, who died in
York county ; ]\Iaria, Mrs. Baltzar Guist. who
died in York county; Louisa, wife of Rev.
Louis ]\Iay, deceased ; Sarah, Mrs. Zachary
JacclDs, who died in New Freedom ; Matilda,
wife of Rev. Emanuel Kohr; Eliza, Mrs.



George Oberdorff, deceased ; George, an Evan-
gelical preacher, who died in Allentown ;
Charles; Harvey, who died in Red Lion; Julia
Ann, Mrs. Fry, who died in Lower Windsor
township. Henry Haines had a brother, John,
who conducted the old a«d famous hotel at
Frankiort, near Philadelphia, and also ran
stages between different towns in the State.
He was the father of George Haines, a large
importer on Chestnut street, Philadelphia.

Charles Haines was born on the Windsor
farm in 1814, and died at the same old home,
June 5, 1898, a lifelong farmer and carpenter.
He was a member of the Evangelical Church ;
in politics a Democrat, he was active in local
affairs and served one term as county commis-
sioner. He married Miss Barbara Funk, who
was born in Lancaster county in 181 5, and
died in Windsor township in 1890. The chil-
dren born to this union were as follows : Mary
Ann, who died unmarried ; Harvey W. ; Sarah,
Mrs. John B. Baughman, of York; Matilda;
Louisa, Mrs. William Smith, deceased ; George
W., a iDusiness man of Los Angeles, Cal., who
married a Miss Maish; Charles F., of Phila-
delphia; and Agnes, wife of Dwight Lee, su-
perintendent of a railroad in Colorado.

Harvey W. Haines was born on a farm
near Columbiana. Ohio, Oct. 11, 1838, but
was only a 3'ear old when his parents returned
to Windsor township, York county, and set-
tled on a farm a mile from Mr. Haines' present
home. He grew up there, attending" the town-
ship schools until he w-as eighteen, and then
was sent to the Millersville Normal, from
which he was graduated in the same class with
Theodore B. Fox, now a prominent Baltimore
teacher, and Prof. Byerly. The principal of
the Normal at that time was Prof. James
Wickersham. After completing his own edu-
cation Mr. Haines taught for three terms in
Lancaster county, three 3'ears in York county,
and then was called to a position in Baltimore,
where he remained sixteen years, preparmg
pupils in mathematics to enter Johns Hopkins
University. At the end of that period he re-
turned to York county and began farming on
the property belonging to his father-in-law,
David Leber, where he has since remained.

Always keenly alive to matters of public
import, and a lifelong Democrat, and having
cast his first vote for Buchanan, Mr. Haines
has been from early manhood active in poli-
tics ; he served one term as township auditor,



u6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



was school director for nine years, was sent
to the lower house of the State Legislature for
two terms and for two more to the State
Senate, his last term being in 1891. His school-
directorship was resigned onl}- when his elec-
tion to the Senate made such action necessary.
On Aug. 27, 1904, he was made chairman of
the Democratic county committee, an office
fairly thrust upon • him. Fraternally Mr.
Haines is an active lodge man and belongs to
the F. & A. M., Maryland Lodge No. 41, of
Baltimore, Md. ; he has belonged to the Masonic
order since the age of twenty-two, when he
joined old York Lodge No. 166, of York
county. In religion he was reared in the Meth-
odist Episcopal faith, but although a great Bible
student is not a member of any church. He
owns a fine library, is an inveterate reader,
and a man of broad general culture, although
his favorite line of reading, after Shakespeare,
which holds first place, is political economy.

In February, 1871, occurred the marriage
of Mr. Haines to Mary E. Leber, a lady born
in Windsor township. May 15, 1841, daughter
of David and Anna Mary (Becker) Leber. To
this union were bom the following children :
Edith Virginia, who died in infancy ; Florence
L., at home; and Horace B., of Philadelphia.

Mrs. Haines' paternal grandparents were
Conrad and Maria (Hammer) Leber, who
lived on a farm in Lower Windsor township.
Her father, David Leber, was educated in the
common schools and became a farmer and tan-
ner. In politics a Democrat, he was elected
county commissioner for one term, during
which period the old jail was built. He died
in Windsor township, Dec. 22, 1878. aged
seventy. He was a member of the Reformed
Church. His wife was born in Lower Windsor
township in 1806, daughter of Matthew and
Esther (Holder) Becker, and her demise oc-
curred Nov. 2, 1 87 1. A great-uncle of Mrs.
Haines, John Becker, was for years a well
known sur\-eyor in York county.

ELMER L. LEWIS, D. D. S., Avho con-
trols a large and representative practice in
York, while he is held in high esteem in lioth
Inisiness and social life, claims the old Bay
state as the place of his nativity, and he is a
scion of stanch old Puritan stock in New Eng-
land. He was born in Amesbury, Essex Co.,
^Mass., Dec. 22, 1861, son of Rush W. and
Georgiana (Morrill) Lewis.

Rush W. Lewis was born in Do\'er. York



Co., Pa., and was for many years engaged in
the manufacturing of shoes on a somewhat ex-
tensive scale at Lynn, Mass., while later he
engaged in the same line of enterprise in York,
Pa., where he continued to reside until his
death, which occurred in 1874. He was a
lineal descendant of Dr. Robert Lewis, who
was an influential citizen of Dover, Pa. The
mother of our subject was born in Lynn,
Mass., and died in York, in 1873, preceding
her husband into eternal rest by fourteen
months. She was a daughter of Robert Mor-
rill. Rush W. and Georgiana Lewis became
the parents of six children, of whom two are
living.

Dr. Elmer L. Lewis was a lad of but
twel\-e years when he was doubly orphaned,
and had received his rudimentary education in
the public schools of York. After the death
of his parents he continued his attendance in ,
the city schools of York, and then he went to
East Berlin, Adams county, where he was a
student for a time, completing there his more
pureh^ academic studies. In 1881 he was
matriculated in the dental department of the
Uni\-ersity of Pennsylvania, where he com-
pleted the prescribed course, and was gradu-
ated as a member of the class of 1883, receiv-
ing his degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery.
He soon afterward located in the city of PJiila-
delphia, where he was engaged in practice for
a period of four j^ears, at the expiration of
which he removed to East Berlin. Adams
county, where he built up an excellent prac-
tice, and remained until 1899, a period of
twelve years. In March, 1899, the Doctor
came to York, where he has since remained in
practice, while he has gained unmistakable
precedence by .reason of the high order of work
turned out in his modernly appointed offices.
He is a member of the York County Dental
Society, and fraternally is identified with the
Royal Arcanum, while in politics he is stanchly
aligned as a supporter of the principles of the
Republican part_\. Lie is a member of the
Reformed Church.

In 1895 was solemnized the marriage of
Dr. Lewis to Miss Mary E. Wolf, daughter
of Dr. Frederick C. Wolf, a prominent physi-
cian of East Berlin, Pa. She died in 1896.

GILBERT H. KYLE is one of the leading
commercial printers of the city of York, where
he has a finely equipped plant, and where he
controls a large and representative business



BIOGRAPHICAL



517



in his line. He is a native of York countw
and has here worked his way to definite suc-
cess, while he has also gained the confidence
and high regard of those with whom he has
come in contact, enjoying marked popularity
in both business and social circles.

Mr. Kyle is descended from stanch Scotch-
Irish stock, and the original American progen-
itors came hither from the North of Ireland.
William Kyle, gTandfather of our subject, set-
tled in Maryland, whea'C he paslsed the re-
mainder of his life, a cabinetmaker by voca-
tion. Samuel Kyle, father of the subject of
this review, was bom in Harford county, Md.,
and as a young man came to York county, lo-
cating in Peach Bottom township, where he
learned the carpenter and boat building trades.
Afterward he became identified with farming
and mercantile pursuits there until 1862, when
he moved his family to Chanceford township,
same county. There he followed farming until '
1864, when he removed with his family to
York, the county seat, where he engaged in
mercantile pursuits. He continued there until
his death, which occurred in 1891, at which
time he was sixty-seven years of age. His
wife, whose maiden name was Amanda Ar-
nold, was born and reared in York county, and
her death occurred in 1893, at the age of six-
ty-three years. She was a daughter of Will-
iam Arnold, who was a well known and influ-
ential farmer of Peach Bottom township; her
brother, John Arnold, was the pioneer slater of
Lancaster, Pa. Samuel and Amanda (Ar-
nold) Kyle became the parents of six children,
concerning whom we incorporate brief record
at this juncture: Juliann died in infancy;
William John died at the age of fifteen years ;
Clara died at the age of three years ; Howard
died in 1885, at the age of twenty-five years;
Elmer is a successful practicing physician in
Philadelphia ; and Gilbert H. is the subject of
this sketch.



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 98 of 201)