Copyright
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 99 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 99 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Gilbert H. Kyle was born in Peach Bot-
tom township, York county, April 21, 1856,
and in that locality his early educational train-
ing was secured in the public schools, which
he attended until he attained the age of fifteen
years. Then he entered a printing office in
\ork. Pa., and began his thorough and prac-
tical apprenticeship in the "art preservative of
all arts.' A few years later he became the
assistant editor and manager of the Herald,
a weekly paper published at Delta, York



county, continuing to be identified with same
until 1891, when he filled the same position
with the Delta Times, a weekly paper of the
same place. In 1893 he located in the city of
York, and established a job and general com-
mercial printing plant at No. 19 East Market
street, where he has since continued operations
in this line; his street number is now 41, under
the new system adopted by the city. His busi-
ness has grown steadily and substantially in
scope and importance, and he has added to his
facilities and accessories as occasion has de-
manded, keeping everything up to the highest
standard, and thus being at all times prepared
to turn out the best class of work with facility.
His reliability and progressive methods have
been the factors which have mainly enabled
him to gain such noteworthy prestige and suc-
cess, and he is held in high regard in the busi-
ness circles of the city. In his political alle-
giance Mr. Kyle is stanchly arrayed as a sup-
porter of the principles of the Democratic
party, and fraternally he has advanced to high
position in the Masonic order, being affiliated
with York Lodge, No. 266, F. & A. M. ; How-
ell Chapter, No. 199, R. A. M. ; York Com-
mandery, No. 21, K. T. ; Harrisburg Con-
sistory, 32d degree. Ancient and Accepted
Scottish Rite Masons, Harrisburg; and Zembo
Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles
of the Mystic Shrine, Harrisburg. He is also
identified with the Knights of Malta, the B.
P. O. Elks, the Royal Arcanum, and the
Artisans. Both he and his wife hold memljer-
ship in the First Presbvterian Church of
York.

On Oct. 27, 1888, Mr. Kyle was united in
marriage to Miss Alice M. Bradley, daughter
of Jason Bradley, a well known contracting
painter and paper-hanger of Fawn Grove, this
county. Mrs. Kyle is a lineal descendant of
the great lexicographer, Noah Webster, and
further than this the lineage is traced back to
one of the royal families of Europe. Mr. and
Mrs. Kyle have three children : Howard Brad-
ley, Mildred Arnold and Donald, the former
a student at the York County Academy, and
the two latter attending the public schools.

JACOB H. SIELING, M. D. As a repre-
sentative physician and surgeon of York
county, and also a native son of this
section of the Keystone Commonwealth, Dr.
Sieling is well entitled to consideration in this



5i8



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



historic compilation. He was born near the
village of Shrewsbury, in Hopewell township,
Y'crk county, Jan. 15. 1851, son of Henry
and Eliza (Small) Sieling-.

The E>octor's father was born in the town
of Holtorf, Germany. When he was a lad
of ten years his parents emigrated to America
and -came to York county, settling in 1836 n
Hopewell township, where they passed the re-
mainder of their lives. In that township he
was reared to manhood, and he continued to re-
side on the old homestead farm there until his
death, in 1873, in the forty-sixth year of his
age. He was one of the leading farmers of
that portion of the county and as a progressive
and loyal citizen, and a man of sterling integ-
rity of purpose, he ever commanded the high
regard of those with whom he came in con-
tact in the various relations of life. He was
a stanch Democrat in politics and his religious
faith was that of the Reformed Church. Mrs.
Eliza Sieling, an estimable and much loved
woman, was born and- reared in York county,
dying Jan. 18, 1905. Of her children five sons
and two daughters are living.

Dr. Sieling was reared to the sturdy dis-
cipline of the home farm and secured his rudi-
mentary education in the district school in the
vicinity, and at Shrewsbury Academy. Later
he continued his studies in the Normal School
at Millersville, where he was a student for
three years, and after leaving that institution
he was successfully engaged in teaching for
nine years. Then he learned the trade of car-
penter, to which he devoted his attention for
two years. His tastes and ambition, however,
led him to seek a wider field of endeavor, and
he accordingly took up the study of medicine,
matriculating in a medical college in the city
of Cincinnati, Ohio, where he ably fortified
himself for the practical work of his chosen
profession. He was graduated as a member
of the class of 1877. receiving his coveted
degree of Doctor of Medicine. For the ensu-
ing seven years he was successfully established
in practice at Brickerville, Lancaster Co., Pa.,
and he then gave evidence of his professional
enthusiasm by entering the College of Physi-
cians and Surgeons of Baltimore, Md., where
he did very effective work in further preparing
himself for the great responsibilities devolv-
ing upon him as a physician and surgeon,
being a student in the institution about one
year and being grafluated therefrom as a mem-



ber of the class of 1886. Locating in Maii-
heim, Lancaster Co., Pa., he remained there
until. 1899, meantime building up a large prac-
tice. Then he removed to York, where he has
gained unmistakable prestige in professional
ranks, meeting with gratifying success and
having a patronage of representative charac-
ter. He is still interested in husbandry, being
the possessor of the old home farm known as
"Yonts' Delight," a tract of nearly three hun-
dred acres of fine farming land in southern
York county, near Shrewsbury, which has
been in the family continuously for over 125
years, according to the old patent office indent-
ures.

In matters political the Doctor, though a
stanch Republican, has not been active, though
he has ever be^ loyal to all the duties of citi-
zenship, but never an aspirant for office of
public nature. Fraternally he is identified with
a number of societies, holding membership in
Zeredatha Lodge, No. 451, F. & A. ]\I., and
in the gracious organization known as the
"Feast of Roses," in Manheim, Lancaster
county, the object of the latter organization
being to offer an annual tribute to the memory
of Baron H. W. Steigel, of Germany, who in
1770 donated a tract of land to the Lutheran
Church for the annual rental of one red rose.

Dr. Sieling's wife, Catherine Hess Sieling,
was born Sept. 7, 1859, daughter of Levi
Wissler, of Lincoln, Lancaster Co., Pa., a
prominent and unassuming farmer. Dr. and
Mrs. Sieling are prominent and zealous mem-
bers of the Lutheran Church. They have two
daughters, the older one, Fanny W. Sieling, a
graduate of Manheim high school, class of
1895, and the State Normal School at ]\Iillers-
ville, from which she graduated in the class
of 1897. She has been teaching for nine years.
The second daughter, Mary C, graduated
from Manheim high school in 1898, from
Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg, Pa., with
the class of 1903, and took her A. B. degree
from Cornell, class of 1904. She is now in
her second year in the medical department at
Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, Maryland.

SAMUEL WEISER ZIEGLER is a
grandson of Charles Ziegler, who was a prom-
inent wheelwright of Gettysburg, Pennsylva-
nia.

David Ziesier, father of Samuel \\'., who



BIOGRAPHICAL



519



was a contracting carpenter, was born in Get-
tysburg, but died in York, in 1899, aged sev-
enty-two years. He married Anna Weiser,
daughter of Samuel Weiser, a farmer and dis-
tiller of York. They became the parents of
eight children, of whom two daughters died
in earhr childhood. The survivors are: Lucy
H. ; R. \A''illiam, a druggist of York ; Edgar
D., a carpenter of York; Albert L., a druggist
of York ; C. Walter, of the Flinchbaugh Man-
ufacturing Co., and Samuel Weiser, a teacher
in the High school of York.

Samuel Weiser Ziegler was born in Get-
tysburg, and remo\-ing to York in early boy-
hood, was educated in the schools of the latter
city, graduating from the York High school in
1S83, and afterward studying under private
tutors. Mr. Ziegler began teaching in Sep-
tember, 1883, and has been a teacher in York
from that time to this. He was elected an as-
sistant in the York High school in 1893,
and in 1894 was elected instructor in mathe-
matics, of which department he continues to
have charge, and he has also taught language
and science.

Mr. Ziegler is a member of St. Paul's Luth-
eran Church, and was for a time secretary of
the Sunday-school. In politics he is a Demo-
crat, and is justly esteemed one of the most
progTessi\'e educators in the city of York.

EDWARD E. ALLEN, of Shrewsbury,
an active member of the Bar of York county,
was born Sept. 28, 1863, at Liberty, Md., son
of Rev. Edward E. and Elizabeth (Wiley)
Allen. Edward Allen, his paternal grand-
father, was born and reared in Virginia, while
his maternal grandfather, George Wiley, was
a prominent farmer of York county, Penn-
sylvania.

Rev. Edward E. Allen, the father of Ed-
ward E., was born in, 1804, died May 28, 1872,
and was buried at Baltimore, Md. He was a
prominent clergyman of the M. E. Church,-
was connected with the Baltimore conference
for a number of }'ears and then united with the
Pennsylvania conference. Rev. Mr. Allen was
first married to Sarah Wilson, and they had
two children: Mary (who married James
Campl:)ell. of Baltimore), and Thomas. For
his second wife he married Elizabeth Wiley,
who died in 1870. Prior to her marriage to
Rev. Edward Allen she had been a teacher in
the Williamsport Seminary and was a woman



of education, culture and personal attractive-
ness. The children of this marriage were :
Elizabeth, who married Dr. Edwin Dodson ;,
Sarah, Mrs. E. Beaumont ; Edward E. ; Wil-
liam ; and ^Vesley and John, who died in in-
fancy.

Edward E. Allen enjoyed the advantages
of a cultured home, and his schooling was
mainly obtained in the city of Baltimore. He
settled at Shrewsbury in 1885, where he ac-
cepted the principalship of its academy, and
the following year was admitted to the bar,
having continued in active practice ever since
and met with the success that attends upon
ability and persevering effort.

In 1887 Mr. Allen was married to Beulah
W. Koller, daugditer of Hon. B. F. Koller, of
Shrewsbury, Pa. One child has blessed this
union, Edward E., Jr. In religious belief both
Mr. and Mrs. Allen are members of the M. E.
Church. Fraternally he is a member of
Shrewsbury Lodge, No. 423, A. F. & A. M.,
and past master of that body ; also a member of
New Freedom Lodge, K. of P. (and of the
Liniformed Rank), as well as of the Hepta-
sophs, of New Freedom.

THADDEUS A. BLAKE, D. D. S., is
numbered among the representative members
of the dental profession in York county, con-
trolling a large practice in the city of York,
and having the distinctive priority of being the
oldest member of his profession in said city,
W'here he has maintained his home for the past
cjuarter of a century, being held in high esteem
as a citizen and being also one of the honored
veterans of the war of the Rebellion.

Dr. Blake claims the old Keystone State
as the place of his nativity, since he was born-
near the village of Little Britain, Lancaster
county. Pa., April 30, 1846. His father, Na-
than Blake, was born in Fulton township, that
county, in 181 7, and was identified with the
great basic art of agriculture, being one of the
honored and well known citizens of Lancaster
county until April, 185 1, when he moved to
AVinterstown, York county, and there engaged
in farming until his death, in 1896. He bore
the full patronymic of his father, Nathan
Blake, Sr., who was one of the early settlers
of Lancaster county, where he resided until
the time of his death, having been a blacksmith
by trade but having taken up land in that sec-
tion and developed a valuable farm. The



520



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENXSYLVANIA



maiden name of Dr. Blake's mother was Ma-
tilda Mc^'itta, and she was born in Lancaster
county, in 1823, being a daughter of another
sterling pioneer, William oNIcVitta, and her
death occurred two years after that of her hus-
band. Both were consistent members of the
Llethodist Church, and in politics the father
was originally a \A'hig and later a Republican,
ever taking a deep and intelligent interest in
the c[uestions and issues of the hour, and being
a man of strong individuality, inflexible in-
tegrity and insistent lovaltv in all the relations
ofhfe.

Dr. Blake passed his boyhood days under
the uneventful but grateful influences of the
old homestead farm, to whose work he early
began to contribute his quota, while his educa-
tional advantages in a preliminary way were
such as were afforded in the district schools,
while later he continued his studies in Chance-
ford Academy, in York county.

When the somber pall of Civil war fell ovev
a divided nation Dr. Blake's youthful patriot-
ism was roused to responsive protest and he
watched the trend of events with absorbing in-
terest as the great conflict proceeded, while in
August, 1864, at the age of eighteen years, he
tendered his services in defense of the Union,
enlisting as a private in Company F, 3d Penn-
sylvania Heavy Artillery, with Avhich he pro-
ceeded to A^irginia, participating- in a number
of spirited engagements and continuing in ac-
tive service until victory crowned the Union
arms, and the greatest civil war of history was
ended. He' received his honorable discharge
in June, 1865, having been mustered out at
Camp Hampton, Virginia.

After the close of his valiant and faithful
military career our subject returned to Penn-
sylvania and located in the western part of
York county, while some time elapsed ere he
fully recovered his physical energies, his health
having been materially impaired by his arm}'
service. He made a trip to western Ohio,
■where he remained for a time, after which he
returned to Pennsylvania and finally, in 1869,
located in the city of Baltimore, Md., where he
began the study of dentistry in the office of
Dr. W. W. Wilson, supplementing this disci-
pline by a course of lectures in Baltimore Den-
tal College, from which he came forth admir-
ably equipped for the work of his chosen pro-
fession. He forthwith opened an office in
iVinterstown, York countv, where he was en-



gaged in practice until 1879, since which time
he has made his home and pi'ofessional head-
quarters in the city of York, where he controls
a large and representative practice, based on
p(_ipular appreciation and regard gained to him
during the long 3'ears of his work here, while,
as before intimated, he stands as the honored
dean of his profession in his home city.

The Doctor is a valued member of Sedg-
wick Post, No. 37, Grand Army of the Re-
public, and in politics he accords an uncompro-
mising allegiance to the Republican party,
though never a seeker of public office. Both
he and his wife belong to the Lutheran Church.

On Sept. 15, 1872, Dr. Blake was united in
marriage to Miss Helen McGuigan, a daugh-
ter of Ambrose and Anna (Miller) McGui-
g'an, of Hopewell township, this county, where
she was born, in 1851. Of the three children
of this union two died when young, and
the only survivor is Abbie M., wife of Ernest
Aller, of York.

HON: J. FRANK ZORTMAN, one of the
leading men of Newberry township, York
county, was born in 1871, in Paradise town-
ship, a son of David Zortman. The latter was
born in 1848, in York county, and was reared
and educated there. He enlisted in April,
1864. for service in the Civil war, entering
Company B, 209th Regiment. P. V. I., and was
n;iustered out in May, 1865, probably the
young-est soldier in the command. He fol-
lowed farming and blacksmithing in Dover
township for some time and now holds the po-
sition of letter carrier at Dover. He married
Anna Mar}- Altland, of Dover township, and
they ha\-e two children : Ada, wife of Alvin
R, Gross, of Dover township ; and J. Frank.

J. Frank Zortman was educated in the com-
mon schools and a select school at Dover and
fitted himself for the profession of teaching
under the well-known educator, Prof. R. H.
Bowersox. From 1887 until 1904 he followed
teaching when not otherwise engaged. He as-
sisted his father with farming until he was
twenty-one years of age and then engaged in
farming, in Dover township and Newberry
township, for some seven years. Li 1899 he
embarked in the agricultural implement busi-
ness in Newberrytown, Pa., where, by honesty,
strict attention to his duties and uniform court-
esy, he has established a large business.

From manhood ]\Ir. Zortman has Ijeen a





e7>25>«<.^ ^^!^->^^5!<z.t5fc*^



BIOGRAPHICAL



521



Republican. Prior to his election to his present
prominent position he had served three terms
as" justice of the peace, and is thoroughly ac-
quainted with the needs and requirements of a
public official.

On Xov. 3, 1904, J\lr. Zortman was elected
to the Pennsylvania Legislature, being one of
the quartet of the first Republicans to be elected
to that body in forty years. He also served
■ during the special session convened by the call
of Gov. Samuel W. Pennypacker on Jan. 15,
1906. and adjourned Feb. 15, 1906. He has
gi^'en faithful service to his constituents, who
have reposed the utmost trust in him and have
conhdence in his judgment regarding all meas-
ures pertaining to their welfare. His record
for punctuality at all sessions seems to be com-
plete, he having been present at every session
of the House and always at his post of duty.
]\Ir. Zortman is a man of ample means, and is
interested in the York Haven Canning Fac-
tory and the Independent Telephone Company,
of York.

In 1890 Mr. Zortman married Mary A.
Kunkle, daug^hter of Abraham and Sarah
Kunkle. of Dover township, and they have two
children: Elsie, born in 1892, and Pansy, born
in 1897, both bright students at school.

■Mr. Zortman's reputation is that of a man
of sterling integrity, intellectual superiority
and business ability. Personalh' he has a very
wide circle of friends and admirers.

JOHX E. SLYDER, proprietor of the
Seitzville mills of Codorus township, merchant
and custom miller, near Larue station, is one
of York county's active business men. He was
born in 1862 at Hoffmanville, Baltimore Co.,
]Md.. son of Frederick and Susan Slyder.

Frederick Slyder was a well known teacher
in Baltimore county, where he lived to the age
of thirty years. His wife survived until De-
cember. 1900. Their only child was John E.

John E. Slyder attended the public schools
of Hoffmanville until the age of fifteen years,
and then follow^ed farm work until his nijfjor-
ity, when he went into the milling business.
He learned the trade with J. D. Shearer, an
uncle, in Carroll county, Md., with whom he
remained three years, and then rented a mill
for several }'ears. In 1890 he went to Glen
Rock, where he bought a mill property on
which he lived until 1900. when he purchased
the Seitz mill at Seitzville. This mill was
erected in 1866 bv X. Seitz, and is one of the



most substantial mills in the State. The out-
put is an average of fifty barrels of flour a day,
and a ready market is found in Baltimore and
near by points. The mill is equipped with the
best and most modern machinery, and its prod-
ucts and by-products include all kinds of grain
and seed compounds.

Mr. Slyder was united in marriage with
Ida Jane Hare, a daughter of Abraham Hare,
of Baltimore county, Md., and their children
are : Mary C, wife of John Rudisell, of Seven
Valley, who is employed in the mill ; INIae E.
and C. F.

In politics Mr. Slyder is a Republican. He
is a member of the Lutheran Church of St.
Peter's, Baltimore Co., Md., but attends
church at Seven Valley, and plays the cornet
in the choir. In addition to operating his large
business he has a financial interest, being one
of the stockholders, in the White Hall Grain,
Milling and Supply Co., of Maryland.

In March, 1S98, Mr. Slyder \-isited the
Klondyke, and he has many interesting things
to .tell of his adventures in that far-away re-
gion. He crossed the X^orth Pacific Ocean on '
a three-masted schooner, and after a voyage of
twenty-nine days landed on Xl"univak Island, in
the Behring Sea, where the party built their
own river steamer. They crossed the sea to
the Yukon river, then up the river 800 miles,
on up the Kdyukuk river 800 more miles,
where they began prospecting and mining. The
company was known as the Alaska Union of
Chicago. 111. They were many miles
north of the Arctic circle, where the thermom-
eter often drops as low as 80 degrees below
zero. With two companions, ilr. Slyder made
a trip of over 800 miles in a row boat, taking
eleven days and nights. He became a heavy
stockholder in a number of promising mining
properties in the northwest. Mr. Slyder has
always enjoyed traveling and has been in
thirty-two States and Territories, and in Can-
ada and Mexico, besides many islands in the
Pacific ocean. He has but recently returned
from Florida, and is now contemplating a trip
abroad.

AUGUSTUS C. HETRICK. M. D.. of
Wellsville, York county, has been in continu-
ous practice at that place for over forty-seven
years. His record would be hard to duplicate,
either in years of active professional work or
extent of usefulness.

Dr. Hetrick represents an old family which



522



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENx\tSYLVANIA



has been settled in Codorns township, this
county, since the emigration of his great-
grandfather from Switzerland. Jacob Hetrick
was one of three brothers who came to the
United States in the latter part of the eigh-
teenth century, landing at New York, and he
settled in Codorus township, York Co.. Pa.,
where his descendants still flourish. There his
son Christian Hetrick. the Doctor's grand-
father, was born, and there he passed his life,
successfully engaged in farming, at one time
owning 1,700 acres of fertile farming land.
He was prominent in his locality in other re-
spects, and took an active part in public affairs,
ser\-ing four years as a member of the State
Legislature. He had three sons, Jacob, Jeffer-
son and Christian \\'., the last named being the
Doctors father.

Christian ^\^ Hetrick was born in Codorus
township in 1779, and became a prominent
farmer and drover, following that business all
his life. He died in 1858, and is buried at St.
Jacob's Church, in Codorus township. He
married Henrietta Woolfram, daughter of Au-
gustus and Eva Woolfram, of Codorus town-
ship, and nine children were born to them :
John, who was prothonotary and clerk of com-
missioners for a number of years, and died in
York; Edmund, a farmer and drover of Co-
dorus township: Augustus C. : Rev. A. J., a
graduate of Princeton, who preached for a
number of years to the emigrants, as they
landed at Castle Garden, N. Y. ; Hezekiah, de-
ceased ; Abraham, a policeman of Baltimore,
^Id. ; Tillman, a well-known tinsmith of Man-
heim township ; Octavius, a farmer of Codo-
rus ; and Elma. living in Codorus.

Augustus C. Hetrick was born Jan. 11.
1835, in Codorus township, and was reared
there. He pursued his professional studies at
the Ohio College of Medicine, graduating with
honors in 1858, and at once settled in Wells-
ville, where he has ever since remained in ac-
tive practice. In addition to attending to the
ordinary round of professional duties he was
for five years examining surgeon for the
United States government, and he has con-
tinued in spite of hard work to be an indefati-
gable reader and student, and has accumulated
a large and comprehensive library. He has
answered all the demands of an unusually ex-
tensive practice faithfully and skillfully, and
the love and esteem which are his are the re-
sult of lifelong devotion to the calls of the most
arduous oi all the professions.



Dr. Hetrick was married Feb. 15. i860,
to Amanda N. Hayward, daughter of Dr. J.
J. and Sally Hayward. and they have had five
children, namely: Kermie H., of Mechanics-
burg, York county: Russie ]\I., deceased; Dr.
H. B., who practices in Rossville ; Annie L.,
who is a druggist at Wellsville; and Effie, Mrs.
Hoff, of Lykens, Pa. The Doctor clings
to the faith of his Quaker ancestors, and
attends the old Friends meeting-house near
Rossville. In politics he sympathizes with the



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 99 of 201)