George T. (George Thornton) Fleming.

History of Pittsburgh and environs, from prehistoric days to the beginning of the American revolution .. (Volume 5) online

. (page 81 of 91)
Online LibraryGeorge T. (George Thornton) FlemingHistory of Pittsburgh and environs, from prehistoric days to the beginning of the American revolution .. (Volume 5) → online text (page 81 of 91)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tribute was paid him by a gentleman who was his com-
manding officer at one time during the Civil War : "In
the hour of danger his presence of mind never forsook
him. Cool, calm and courageous, he was of such stuff
as heroes are made of. On the social side, his many
virtues shone to equal advantage. He was one of
nature's noblemen, and not one of the large circle who
shared his friendship will ever forget his genial ways and
warm heart." Lieutenant-Commander James Crossan
Qiaplin married Martha Harris, and they were the par-
ents of Virginia S., James Crossan, of whom further,
and Mary C.

James Crossan Chaplin, son of James Crossan (i) and
Martha (Harris) Chaplin, was born in Pittsburgh, Sept.
7, 1863. His father's death occurred when he was three
years of age,- and Missouri then became the family home;



BIOGRAPHICAL



305



but in 1879 they returned to Pittsburgh, making their
residence in Sewickley. Then, as a youth of sixteen
years, he obtained a position in the Citizens' National
Bank, resigning from that service to become teller with
the Fidelity Title and Trust Company. The ten years
of his continuance with this company witnessed his ad-
vancement to the office of treasurer, and upon the in-
corporation of the Colonial Trust Company of Pitts-
burgh, he became vice-president of the new organization.
Business qualifications of the highest grade, and unusual
powers of leadership have brought him into prominent
place in the financial, industrial, and commercial world,
and he has been called to advisory and administrative
positions in connection with many enterprises of large
importance. Mr. Chaplin is a director of the Coraopolis
Savings and Trust Company, Coraopolis, Pa., the Green-
ville National Bank, Greenville, Pa., the First National
Bank, Sharon, Pa., the First National Bank, Albion, Pa.,
the Pennsylvania Clay Company, and of the Indianapolis
Traction Company, Indianapolis, Ind. He is vice-presi-
dent of the Freehold Bank, Pittsburgh, and t.he Colonial
Trust Company, Farrel, Pa., and chairman of the board
of the Crawford Trust Company, Meadville, Pa. He is
also treasurer of the E. J. Thompson Company, Pitts-
burgh, and a director of the Pittsburgh Lamp, Brass and
Glass Company. His wide responsibility has required ex-
tensive and exact knowledge of many fields of endeavor,
and in the fulfillment of these responsibilities he has
gained expert information along many lines. He is a
man of strong personality, keenly alive to the duties of
stewardship concomitant with his high positions, and has
discharged ably and faithfully the many trusts placed
in his keeping.

Mr. Qiaplin is a Republican in political sympathy, and
when opportunity has offered has gladly given of his
time and his efforts to the service of his party in his
community. For many years he has been a member of
the Sewickley council and continuously chairman of its
finance committee. He is a member of the Masonic fra-
ternity, his patriotic ancestry giving him membership in
the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Sons of the American
Revolution, and he is also a member of the Duquesne
Qub, the Allegheny Country Qub, the Pittsburgh Club,
the Pittsburgh Athletic Club, the Edgeworth Club of
Sewickley, and the Lawyers' Club of New York City.
His church is St Stephen's Protestant Episcopal of
Sewickley and he has served it as treasurer and as junior
and senior warden.

During the war Mr. Chaplin was a member of the
Central Liberty Loan Committee, which had charge of
all the distribution and management of the Liberty Loans,
and was associated with the Pittsburgh leaders of
finance — H. C. McEldouney, president of the Union
Trust Company, John R. McCune, president of the Union
National Bank, R. B. Mellon, vice-president of the Na-
tional Bank, and Harrison Nesbit, president of the Bank
of Pittsburgh. He was also chairman of nineteen
coimties of Western Pennsylvania for the distribution of
war saving stamps, and, later, under a treasury depart-
ment ruling, he was made director of the savings of
the Treasury Department for Western Pennsylvania, and
made responsible for nineteen counties and five hundred



and forty banks as well as all the schools, societies and
other organizations of the district.

Mr. Chaplin married Fanny Campbell, daughter of
Col. David Campbell, and they have two sons : James
Crossan Chaplin (3), and David Campbell Chaplin.



OBED K. PRICE — In modern times a corporation

lawyer does not figure much in the limelight, not, per-
haps, so much from deliberate choice as the fact that
he is part of a corporate organization whose manage-
ment retains him for the purpose of avoiding episodes
of a dramatic character, rather than to play a part in
such episodes. Any professional prominence thus ob-
tained does not become a public matter.

Among this class of lawyers in Pittsburgh, the career
of Obed K. Price is perhaps typical. Practically his
entire professional career has been spent as a member
of the legal staff of the Pittsburgh Coal Company and its
subsidiary interests. Mr. Price is a son of Willson
and Caroline Eleanor (Sipes) Price. Willson Price was
a native of New Jersey, whence his ancestors emigrated
from Wales prior to the Revolution, and fought in that
war, and his mother was a member of the Willson fam-
ily of that State. Mr. Price's mother was a native of
Pennsylvania, being the daughter of General John Sipes,
of the well-known Fulton county family of that name.

Obed K. Price was born on a farm in Rock Island
county. 111., and received his early education in public
and private schools of Illinois and Iowa. Coming to
Pittsburgh from Davenport, Iowa, in 1901, as a reporter
for R. G. Dunn & Company, he gave up that employment
and entered the law department of the Western Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania (now the University of Pitts-
burgh), and graduated therefrom in 1908 with the last
class graduated from that institution under its old name.
One year of his professional study prior to graduation
was spent in the University of Southern California at
Los Angeles. Mr. Price was admitted to the Allegheny
county bar in December, 1908, and since April, 1910, has
been connected with the legal work of the Pittsburgh
Coal Company, which is the largest coal mining com-
pany in existence. Mr. Price is a member of the Metho-
dist Episcopal church, and of the Masonic fraternities,
and politically supports the Republican party.

In September, 1918, he married Mazie Winnett Price,
daughter of John M. and Helen (Dunbar) Price. Her
father was distantly related to the New Jersey family
from which Mr. Price sprang, and was a great-grandson
of Captain Peter Perchmont, a soldier of the Revolution,
captain in the Pennsylvania militia, and an Indian fighter
of note, who was one of the early settlers of the Pitts-
burgh district. Mr. and Mrs. Price have one daughter,
Ann Marshall.



ALEXANDER BEATTY ORTH— The work of

Alexander Beatty Orth, of Pittsburgh, Pa., was such as
adds to the beauty of the cit)', as well as the comfort
and convenience of the people. As one of the leading
architects of this section, he was employed by many of
the most prominent families to design and construct
beautiful residences, and many large business interests
are now housed in structures which, through his skill



Pitts— 1—20



3o6



HISTORY OF PITTSBURGH



and originality, combine the last word in utility with
the greatest charm and dignity.

Mr. Orth came of old pioneer stock. His paternal
grandfather came to the United States in 1812, and lo-
cating in New Lisbon, Ohio, established a woolen factory
there — one of the earliest industries of that section.

Mr. Orth's father, George H. Orth, was a woolen
manufacturer also, and owned factories at Connellsville
and Canonsburg, Pa., and Steubenville, Ohio. He mar-
ried Martha Jewett, who at one time lived across the
street from Abraham Lincoln. Her father established
the first iron foundry west of the Allegheny Mountains.

Alexander Beatty Orth was born in Connellsville, Pa.,
on May 15, 1868. Receiving his early education in the
public schools of Pittsburgh, North Side, he went to
Cornell University, taking a special course in archi-
tecture, graduating in 1899. After leaving school, he
took an extended trip abroad, and studied architecture and
sketching in many of the wonderful cities of the Old
World.

With this preparation, Mr. Orth returned to Pitts-
burgh, where he entered the employ of his brother, George
S. Orth, then a rising Pittsburgh architect, remaining
with him until 1900. At that time the brothers formed
a partnership, under the firm name of George S. Orth
& Brother. On April 14, 1918, George S. Orth died, and
Alexander B. Orth then carried on the business until his
death, which occurred Nov. 30, 1920.

Mr. Orth conducted a general practice in architecture,
and in connection with this work, did a great deal of
landscape designing. He did much beautiful work on
large estates and industrial plants, and many of Pitts-
burgh's best homes are products of his art. Mr. Orth
was a member of the Pittsburgh Art Commission.



J. KING SCOTT— The Scott family is an old and

honored one in this country. John Scott, grandfather
of J. King Scott, was born in Alexandria, Huntingdon
county. Pa., July 14, 1824, and was admitted to the
Franklin county bar. In June, 1846, he was appointed
deputy attorney-general of Huntingdon county and
served until 1849. In 1851 he served as a member of the
State Board of Revenue Commissioners, paying a
lengthy visit to Europe in 1853. In 1862 he was a mem-
ber of the State House of Representatives of Pennsyl-
vania, and later served as a delegate to the Republican
National Convention which nominated General Grant for
the presidency in 1868. He was a member of the United
States Senate from Pennsylvania from 18^9 to 1875. He
then went to Pittsburgh and was admitted to the Alle-
gheny county bar, still later removing to Philadelphia,
where he was appointed general solicitor for the Penn-
sylvania Railroad Company. He married Annie S. Eyster,
and they had ten children, the eldest of whom was Wil-
liam, father of J. King Scott.

William Scott, son of John and Annie S. (Eyster)
Scott, was born May 8, 1850, in Alexandria, Huntingdon
county, Pa. He attended private schools of the locality
and prepared for college with tutors, later entering
Princeton University, from which he graduated in 1868.
After two years of western experience as civil engineer
with General Schofield, he spent a short time in the coal
business, and then studied law, first with his father and



then with the law firm of Knox & Reed, being admitted
to the Allegheny county bar, Oct. 30, 1878. He rose
rapidly in his profession and was honored with the pres-
idency of the Allegheny County Bar Association and of
the Pennsylvania State Bar Association. After practic-
ing alone for a time, he associated himself with John
Dalzell and George B. Gordon, under the firm name of
Dalzell, Scott, & Gordon, and when, because of having
been elected Congressman, Mr. Dalzell retired, William
S. Dalzell, the Congressman's son, came into the firm
and the name remained unchanged. Mr. Scott was for
many years counsel for the Pennsylvania lines and for
the Pennsylvania Railroad Company in Western Penn-
sylvania. He was counsel for Andrew Carnegie at the
time of the difference between Andrew Carnegie and
Henry C. Frick, as one of a group of the foremost legal
representatives of the time. Mr. Scott married, Sept. 16,
1880, Annie Lyon King, daughter of Dr. James and
Anne (Russell) King, and they became the parents of
four children : James King, of further mention ;
Eleanor Alison, deceased ; John Irvine, deceased ; and
William R., a graduate of Harvard Law School. Mr.
Scott died Feb. 27, 1906.

J. King Scott, son of William and Annie Lyon (King)
Scott, was born June 27, 1881. He attended the private
schools of his locality and then went to Shadyside
Academy, where he prepared for entrance to Princeton
University. He did not graduate from the university,
but instead left his studies and went to work, first for the
Fidelity Title and Trust Company, then for the West-
inghouse Machine Company, next for the Pittsburgh
Plate Glass Company, and finally, in 1916, for the Latrobe
Electric Steel Company, for which he is now district
sales manager. He is a member of the Duquesne Qub,
the University Club, the Oakmont Country Club, the
Pittsburgh Golf Club, the Princeton Club of Western
Pennsylvania, the Princeton Club of Philadelphia, Pa.,
and the Colonial Club, of Princeton, N. J. He is also a
member of Fellowship Lodge, No. 679, Free and Accepted
Masons. Politically he is an independent voter.

Mr. Scott married, June 2, 1906, Jeanette Lupton,
daughter of Henry B. and Fannie (Richardson) Lupton,
of Pittsburgh, and they have two children : Elizabeth
L., and Anne King, both of whom are attending a private
school. Mr. Scott's mother is still living.



HARRY WILLIAM NETHKEN. president of Col-
liers Mercantile Company, and incumbent of several other
important executive positions, is a son of John A. and
Mary A. (Brandt) Nethken, and was born at Nethken-
ville, near Elk Garden, Mineral county, W. Va., Jan. 27,
1883. His father was for many years engaged in mer-
cantile operations, in connection with which he also
operated two large farms at Nethkenville and Bayard,
his death occurring Sept. 7, 1899.

Mr. Nethken attended public schools in W. Va., and
college at Baltimore, Md., interrupting his studies to
make a trip to Europe upon a cattle steamer. He worked
his passage across the water, and during the trip had
numerous experiences, some enjoyable and all out of
the ordinary. He attended the Paris exposition, and spent
almost a month in London, England. Upon his return
to the United States he entered the employ of the Bux-



BIOGRAPHICAL



307



ton & Landstreet Company, of Thomas, W. Va. This
firm was a subsidiary of the Western Maryland railroad,
and during the course of five years in this employ, Mr.
Nethken rose to the position of manager of the branch
at Henry, W. Va. He assumed this place in August,
1906, and three years later was appointed general man-
ager of the entire company, whose business at that time
totalled more than $1,000,000 annually. He never took
active charge of this office, for a few days after his ap-
pointment the Pittsburgh Terminal Railway and Coal
Company, of Pittsburgh, of which the Mutual Supply
Company was a subsidiary, was taken over by the Western
Maryland railroad, and Mr. Nethken was appointed gen-
eral manager of the Mutual Supply Company, with
offices in the Wabash building, at Pittsburgh. Two years
later he was made president of this same company and
also became the purchasing agent of several coal com-
panies, filling these places until June, 1917, when he per-
sonally took over the Colliers Mercantile Company, of
Colliers, W. Va., and the ten stores of the Mountain
Supply Company, the latter a subsidiary of the Penn-
sylvania Coal and Coke Company. He is now president
of the Colliers Mercantile Company, treasurer of the
Moss Creek Supply Company, general manager of the
Four States Mercantile Company, and president of the
Mountain Mercantile Company.

For eight years Mr. Nethken has served as a member
of the council of Dormont borough, for two years as
president, and his efforts toward the end of a business-
like administration of borough afl^airs have borne notable
fruit, particularly in the street, sewer and water systems,
which are the best to be found in the boroughs of the
Pittsburgh district. Mr. Nethken is a member of the
Duquesne Qub, Pittsburgh Field Club, and St. Clair
Country Club. His fraternal affiliations are Masonic, and
in this order he belongs to lodge, chapter, commandery
and Syria Temple.

Mr. Nethken married, Nov. 14, 1906, Minnie Lantz,
daughter of Joseph and Margaret Lantz, of Davis, W.
Va. They have one daughter, Martha Jane.



CORNELIUS P. SULLIVAN— As superintendent
of construction for the United States Treasury Depart-
ment, Cornelius P. Sullivan is a prominent figure in the
building world to-day. Mr. Sullivan's family has long
been engaged in construction work, his grandfather
(paternal), having been widely known in this field in
Ireland, and his father and uncle in this country.

Mr. Sullivan is a son of Dennis and Hanna (McGil-
licudy) Sullivan, both of whom were born in Ireland,
coming to this country at about sixteen years of age.
Dennis Sullivan became a successful and wealthy con-
tractor and builder in New England, specializing in pub-
lic buildings, of which he erected large numbers. He
built more churches than any other contractor of his
time. He died in June, 1920, at the age of ninety-one
years. His wife, who is also deceased, was a member of
one of the leading families of Ireland.

Cornelius P. Sullivan was born in Boston, Mass., Sept.
23, 1858. He attended the public schools of Boston, and
entered upon a course in the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology, but did not graduate. At the age of nine-



teen years, in 1877, he entered the field with which he
was already familiar through his father's experience,
and for twenty-one years followed general contracting.
He also built many churches, the list numbering thirty-
six, and these in various parts of the East.

In 1908 Mr. Sullivan was sent by the United States
Treasury Department to Cape Girardeau, Mo., to erect
the post office building there. He has since continued
with the government, and has had the oversight of con-
struction work at widely separated points. He super-
intended the construction of post office buildings at
Paducah and Mayfield, Ky., then later at Boston, Marl-
boro and Beverly, Mass., still later at Portsmouth, Ohio.
He came to Pittsburgh on Dec. 15, 1914, and has since
made his headquarters in this city. He now has the
supervision of all the United States Treasury work in
Eastern Ohio, Western Pennsylvania, and in all West
Virginia and Kentucky, including all repair work in the
territory, as well as new construction. He also serves
in an advisory capacity in many other districts through-
out the United States. The new post offices at Car-
negie and East Pittsburgh, Pa., were erected under his
supervision.

Mr. Sullivan is a tireless worker, and takes little
leisure. Except for a day or two at a time, he has
taken only one vacation during his entire career. Not
long ago he arranged for a year's leave of absence, and
went to South America with his youngest daughter to
visit his eldest son, but he found so little enjoyment in
idleness that he returned to Pittsburgh and to business
months before he had intended. Politically Mr. Sulli-
van is an independent voter. He is a member of the
McGillicudy Society, and attends the Roman Catholic
Church of the Sacred Heart.

On April 16, 1884, Mr. Sullivan married Catherine
Brogan, of New York City, daughter of Michael Brogan,
prominent in business and political affairs of that city,
a leading builder, and from 1875 to 1884 a member of
the New York State Assembly. Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan
have five children : John Bernard, Elsie Beatrice, Cor-
nelius P., Jr., Joseph Cornelius, and Katherine Mary,
all of whom are of further mention.

John Bernard Sullivan has achieved a high position
in business circles in South America, although still a
young man. He was graduated from Harvard Uni-
versity in 1908, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts,
and at once entered the business world, where he showed
rare efficiency. Shortly afterwards he was sent to the
Argentine as assistant manager and director of the Gen-
eral Electric Company. He has continued there since,
and is now director general of Lloyds, of Buenos Aires,
owners of many steamers, and the largest shippers in
South America. John B. Sullivan's sum.mer home is a
thousand acre ranch. Here he carries on large opera-
tions as a stock farmer, and has some very fine cattle,
for which he has paid prices ranging up to $20,000
each. He married Olive White, of New York City.

Elsie Beatrice Sullivan, the elder daughter, was edu-
cated in the grammar schools and Sacred Heart College,
of Boston. She is the wife of William J. Woods, of the
C. B. Barrie Company, of New York City, and has one
child, William J., Jr.



3o8



HISTORY OF PITTSBURGH



Cornelius P. Sullivan, Jr., was educated in the Uni-
versity of Kentucky. He married Viola Tannehill, a
member of an old Pittsburgh family.

Joseph Cornelius Sullivan, the youngest son, is a
graduate of Peabody High School, of Pittsburgh, class
of 1916. He has been in the Argentine since 1917. He
tried to enlist for the World War, but was not accepted,
owing to his distance from his home.

Katherine !Mary Sullivan, the younger daughter, is a
graduate of Urseline Academy, of the class of 1918, and
resides at home.



GEORGE O. ROGERS, JR., architect, builder and

housing expert, since 1907 has been actively identified with
building operations in a large territory adjacent to Pitts-
burgh, having designed and erected scores of residences,
churches, theatres, and industrial and manufacturing
plants in Pennsylvania and neighboring states. Mr.
Rogers was born in Omaha, Neb., Aug. 2, 1867, son of
George O. and Sarah Ann (Dawson) Rogers, his fam-
ily line related to that of the Rogers of Shropshire, Eng-
land, which borders on Wales.

George O. Rogers, Sr., architect, engineer and builder,
came to America in 1863, and was identified with many
great construction operations in various sections of the
country. He was engaged with the engineering depart-
ment of the Union Pacific railway, the first of trans-
continental railways, with headquarters in Omaha, when
his son, George O., Jr., was born. Mr. Rogers' business
occasioned a score of trips between Great Britain and
the United States, and in 1876 he took his family to Eng-
land, making their home in Birmingham. George O.
Rogers, Sr., died in London, in 1887.

When Birmingham, England, became the family home,
George O. Rogers, Jr., entered King Edward's Grammar
School, and was there a student until his fourteenth year,
when he became apprenticed to an architect, and so served
until attaining his majority. As a young man of twenty-
one years he went to London, and v/as successful in pass-
ing the rigid examinations of the London Association of
Architects. Returning to Birmingham, he opened an
office, and for four years was there engaged in profes-
sional practice. The succeeding ten years were spent in
different parts of England in the execution of profes-
sional commissions, his specialty having become the solu-
tion of housing problems in congested industrial districts.
The years 1903 to 1905 were spent in a world tour, em-
bracing Italy, Indo-China, New Zealand, South Africa,
and other parts of the British Empire, and in 1905 he ar-
rived at San Francisco. At this time he visited num-
erous places in America, including Omaha, Neb., his
birthplace, and then located in Toronto, Canada, where
professional duties occupied him until 1907. In this year
he came to Pittsburgh and began what has proved an
exceptionally successful career that has placed him among
the leaders of his profession in this district. Mr. Rogers
has designed and erected hundreds of buildings devoted
to church, residence, amusement, business, and manufac-
turing purposes, but the work to which he has given most
intensive study and for which he is best known is the
planning of housing projects for the employees of large
industrial organizations. The chief problem in this de-
partment of his profession is the furnishing of modern



homes built for a maximum of comfort and convenience
at minimum cost.

During Mr. Rogers' thirty-three years' practice he has
done work in great industrial centers in Great Britain,
South Africa, Canada, and the United States, and has
gained a host of friends in v/orld-wide associations.
Reaied and professionally educated in an environment
where architecture held place among the fine arts, Mr.
Rogers early learned to combine. utility and beauty with
the result that many of his structures, even of industrial
character, take place among the better local specimens
of architecture. Mr. Rogers is a member of the Soho
Board of Trade, and the Oakland Welsh Presbyterian
Church.

Mr. Rogers married, in Pittsburgh, in 1907, Margaret
Ann Williams, a native of Bethesda, Wales. Their home
is at No. 2039 Fifth avenue, and Mr. Rogers' offices are
at No. 708 Penn avenue.



WILLIAM MATZ— From Germany came Henry



Online LibraryGeorge T. (George Thornton) FlemingHistory of Pittsburgh and environs, from prehistoric days to the beginning of the American revolution .. (Volume 5) → online text (page 81 of 91)