Copyright
George Washington Smith.

A history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) online

. (page 10 of 98)
Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 10 of 98)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1145

but made an unsuccessful run, being defeated at the polls by only one
hundred and twenty-six votes. In 1905 he was elected to the same
office, and served as sheriff of the county for four years. He was then
elected county treasurer, and is serving in that capacity with ability
and fidelity.

Mr. Brown married, in 1898, Emaline Jane Rogers, of Bond county,
and they are the parents of two children, Marion Robert and William
Joseph. Fraternally Mr. Brown is a member of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, and religiously he belongs to the Baptist church.

JOHN SWEITZER. Given the history of any representative county or
community, the careful observer can not fail to find manifold instances
of men who have made judicious use of their every opportunity, be-
ginning life with a good head and a strong pair of hands as their chief
assets, and who have in middle age attained to that place in life where
they are independent beings in the largest meaning of the phrase, all
as a result of their own well directed, honest and whole-hearted en-
deavors. John Sweitzer is the specific illustration of the truth of the
above statement. His life in Cobden has been a model of industry, and.
his attainments worthy of emulation. As an orchardist and general
farmer he ranks high among the producers of his locality, and has done
much to establish this particular section of Union county in popular
esteem as a fruit producing community.

John Sweitzer was born July 17, 1844, in Baden, Germany. He
was the son of John and Theresa (Witz) Sweitzer. When he was but
four years of age his father died, and the mother had the full care of
her little brood of five children, of which John Sweitzer was the young-
est. The others were named Barbara, Mamie, Sebastian and Frank.
John Sweitzer was educated in Germany. His schooling was limited,
owing to the circumstances, and when he was twenty years of age he
and his brother Frank emigrated to America. They came direct to
Cincinnati and located there, where they lived for some little time.
Frank Sweitzer had paid a previous visit to America, being here at the
breaking out of the Civil war, and he enlisted and served during the
war. Following that he lived for a time in Cobden, Illinois, and then
returned to Germany, being accompanied by his brother John on his
return trip, as mentioned above. Leaving Cincinnati, they came direct
to Cobden, where Frank Sweitzer had established a home and family.
For some time John Sweitzer worked at Anna, Illinois, in the lime-kilns.
Then he entered the employ of James Bell, an extensive fruit grower of
Cobden, and, the work appealing to him, he remained in that berth for
sixteen and a half years.

In 1882, at the close of his period of service with James Bell, he was
able to purchase with his savings ninety acres of fertile land in Cobden
vicinity. His long and faithful labors with Mr. Bell had thoroughly
trained him in the mysteries of fruit growing, and when he entered busi-
ness on his own responsibility he was relieved of the necessity of under-
going the experimental stage, and from the inception of the business his
affairs prospered. He has added to his original holdings until now he
is the owner of one hundred and seventy-eight acres of valuable fruit
land, has a handsome residence and good, commodious farm buildings.
In 1911 he shipped from a twelve acre apple orchard seven hundred
bushels of apples. From his six acres of peaches the crop was light,
netting only about two hundred bushels. He also shipped about the
same quantity of pears. From a seven acre field of sweet potatoes he
shipped one thousand bushels. His six acre field of asparagus yielded
eighteen hundred boxes, and he sold about five hundred bushels of



1146 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

rhubarb. In addition to his fruit growing Mr. Sweitzer lias delved into
general farming, and is a producer of considerable hay and wheat. He
has on his place seventeen head of cattle, eight horses and thirty-five tine
hogs, and is also the owner of two business blocks in Cobden, one the
post office building and a store building.

Mr. Sweitzer has been twice married. In 1870 he married Miss
Mamie E. Caising, who passed away in 1874, leaving him three sons;
Edward, Harry and Fred. His second marriage occurred in 1879, when
he was united with Annie Bigler, a daughter of Joseph Bigler, a native
of Switzerland. She has borne him eight sturdy children, all of whom
are graduates of the Cobden high school. They are named as follows:
Joseph, Annie, John, Mary, Josie, Charles, Frances and Emma. Mr.
Sweitzer is the grandfather of eighteen children.

JONATHAN SEAMAN. Occupying a conspicuous position among the
highly respected citizens of Greenville, Jonathan Seaman is numbered
among the sound business men who are contributing so much toward the
city 's reputation as a desirable place of residence, both in a social and a
financial point of view. A native of Bond county, he was born October
5, 1851, near Greenville, where his father, the late Jonathan Seaman,
Sr., settled on coming to Illinois to live.

His grandfather, Jonah Seaman, resided in Frederick county, Vir-
ginia, which was a slave state. He was not a slave owner, and as he had
very decided views on the slave question, being, in fact, a "black aboli-
tionist, ' ' he moved with his family to Ohio in the very early part of the
eighteenth century, and there reared his sons to a sturdy manhood.

Born in Frederick county, Virginia, January 22, 1799, Jonathan
Seaman, Sr., was a young man when his parents migrated to Ohio, where
he assisted his father in clearing and improving a farm. In March,
1851, accompanied by his wife and children, he came to Illinois, locating
in Bond county in September of that year. Taking up land lying two
miles east of Greenville, in Hall's Grove, on the homestead which he
improved, he spent his remaining days, passing away January 13, 1868.
He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and having in-
herited to a marked degree the political views of his father, was opposed
to slavery in any form, and was a stanch and loyal member of the Repub-
lican party from the time of its formation. He was twice married. He
married first, when about twenty-four years old, in Xenia, Ohio, Sarah
E. Smith, who died in 1846, leaving nine children. He married in 1848
Mary N. Miller, a daughter of Thomas and Jane Miller, of Ohio, where
her father was a cabinet maker for many years. She survived him four
years, her death occurring September 30, 1872. Five children were born
of his second marriage, of whom Jonathan, the subject of this sketch, was
the second child, and one of these five children is deceased.

Brought up on the home farm, Jonathan Seaman attended the dis-
trict schools of Hall 's Grove, and was there actively engaged in agricul-
tural pursuits for many years. About a month after the death of his
first wife who was Mary E. Owen, of Wilmot, Wisconsin, where they
were married December 15, 1874. She died September 22, 1880, and
the one child by this marriage, Albert Owen Seaman, is Captain of the
Fifteenth Infantry, U. S. A. Mr. Seaman, on October 23, 1880, moved
to Greenville, and for a year was engaged in the drug business with his
brother, George W. Seaman. Buying out the mercantile interests of
Ellhart & Guller in February, 1882, Mr. Seaman has since carried on an
extensive and profitable business as a hardware merchant, having a wide
trade in Greenville and vicinity. He is one of the directors of the
Bradford State Bank, and likewise of the Greenville Public Library.



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1147

Mr. Seaman married, in 1883, Jennie H. Hull, a daughter of John
Hull, of Bond county, and they have one child, J. Ralph Seaman. Iden-
tified in politics with the Prohibition party, Mr. Seaman has taken a
prominent part in the management of municipal affairs, having served
the city as mayor four years ; as alderman six, years ; and having been a
school director many terms. He is a valued member of the Methodist
Episcopal church, and is now serving as president of its Board of Trus-
tees. Fraternally Mr. Seaman is a member of the Ancient Free and Ac-
cepted Order of Masons and of the Knights of Pythias.

PATRICK S. McCANN. A citizen of note and a business man of promi-
nence and influence at Herrin, Illinois, is Patrick S. McCann, who is
president of the McCann Construction Company, one of the contracting
concerns of Southern Illinois. Mr. McCann is also extensively interested
in real estate at Herrin, and the splendid business blocks erected by him
in this place have added stability and permanency to the city.

In the city of St. Louis, Missouri, December 13, 1865, occurred the
birth of Patrick S. McCann, who is a son of James McCann, now a re-
tired citizen of Jackson county, Illinois. James McCann was born in
County Cavan, Ireland, in 1830. In 1852, as a young man, he came to
America, working at his trade of bricklaying first in New York city and
later in Philadelphia. About the year 1855 he migrated west and settled
at Dubuque, Iowa, where he joined a party of his countrymen in buying
up an area of land under the "bit act" and where he continued to re-
side until the outbreak of the Civil war. In 1861 he went to St. Louis,
there engaging in the retail fuel business, his stock consisting of coal and
wood. With the passage of time he developed an extensive business in
St. Louis, where he had several yards, which he conducted until late in
the '70s. In 1872 he came into Illinois and purchased a tract of timber,
the beechwood of which he proceeded to manufacture into charcoal. In
those days charcoal was used extensively in the rectifying or filtering of
whiskey at the distilleries and that market opened up a good industry for
Mr. McCann at Grand Tower. His charcoal was ground and sacked and
then shipped in five-bushel bags to points on the Mississippi river between
St. Louis and New Orleans. Eventually a cheaper method of handling
the crude whiskey was introduced and then Mr. McCann turned his at-
tention to the clearing and developing of his land in Jackson county.
At this point his several sons rendered him valuable service as farmers
and it was not until they had reached their majorities and gone out into
other fields of endeavor that the father gave up farming, too, finally re-
tiring to live upon his competency.

James McCann was married at St. Louis during the Civil war, the
maiden name of his wife having been Bridget Harigan. Mrs. McCann
was born and reared in Ireland, in County Tipperary, whence she came
to America, She was called to eternal rest December 26, 1909, and is sur-
vived by the following children, Patrick S., the immediate subject of
this review ; James, Jr., a member of the McCann Construction Company ;
Maggie, the wife of "William Hickey, of East St. Louis ; Charles, also a
member of the McCann Construction Company, and runs a livery and
sales stable at Murphysboro, Illinois; Mollie is Mrs. Frank Raddle, of
Murphysboro ; and Robert is likewise connected with the McCann Con-
struction Company.

Patrick S. McCann was a child of seven years of age at the time of
his parents' removal to Jackson county, Illinois, where he passed his boy-
hood and youth and where he received his early educational training. At
the age of twenty -one years he left his father's farm and became a fire-
man of the Mobile & Ohio Railroad out of Murphysboro. He remained



1148 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

in the railroad service for the following two years, at the expiration of
which he formed a little partnership with his brothers to take a contract
from the government for getting out piling and riprap stuff for repairing
the banks of the Mississippi river. ' The brothers followed this work for
the ensuing nine years and eventually drifted into railroad contract work.
The first real contract taken by "McCann Brothers" comprised a piece
of grading for the Cotton Belt line at Gray's Point, Missouri. They also
contracted for the foundation work for the round house and the excava-
tion for the ash pit there. Since accepting their first contract, in 1899,
they have done work for the Frisco, the Illinois Central, the Iron Moun-
tain, the Chicago & Eastern Illinois and the Coal Belt Electric railroads,
in addition to which they have also done a great deal of grading for
mining companies in this section of Illinois. At the present time, in 1912,
they are completing a contract for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
Railway Company into the coal field between Marion and Herrin.

Early in the history of Herrin Mr. McCann and his brothers became
owners of real estate in the new town. After the destructive fire they im-
proved their property with splendid new brick houses, some of which face
on Park avenue and Washington street.

In his political relations Mr. McCann is a Republican. "While a resi-
dent of Grand Tower he served that place as a member of the board of
aldermen, and since coming to Herrin he has served with the utmost effi-
ciency on the board of health. In a fraternal way he is affiliated with the
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and with the Knights of Colum-
bus. In their religious faith he and his wife are devout communicants of
the Catholic church, in the various departments of whose work they are
most zealous factors.

At Bloomington, Indiana, April 26, 1904, Mr. McCann was united in
marriage to Miss Ella Kerr, a daughter of Patrick Kerr, of Irish birth.
The wedding occurred the day before the formal opening of the St. Louis
Exposition and Mr. and Mrs. McCann attended that event. When Presi-
dent Roosevelt let loose the fastenings that held "Old Glory" as a signal
that the exposition was open to the world, Mr. McCann was standing
where its folds enveloped him and where the real spirit of the occasion
was centered. Mr. and Mrs. McCann have two children, Catherine and
Ella.

THOMAS M. LOGAN. It is a generally accepted truism that no man
of genius or acknowledged ability can be justly or adequately judged
on the morrow of his death, chiefly because time is needed to ripen the
estimate upon work which can only be viewed on all sides in the calm
atmosphere of a more or less remote period from its completion. This
remark is in no sense inappropriate in the case of the late Thomas M.
Logan, who occupies a conspicuous place in the history of Jackson
county. No man in the community had warmer friends than he, or
was more generally esteemed. He was a man of refined manners, of
consummate business ability, one who achieved eminent success in his
affairs. Mr. Logan was born August 1, 1828, a son of Dr. John and
Elizabeth Logan, and a brother of the famous soldier and statesman,
General John A. Logan, one of Illinois' most honored sons.

Mr. Logan's grandfather, John Logan, brought the family to the
United States from Ireland, and for four years Dr. John Logan studied
medicine in the South, his first field of practice being in Perry county,
Missouri. In 1824 he located at Brownsville, then the county seat of
Jackson county, Illinois. He married Mary Barcune, of Cape Gir-
ardeau county. Her father kept a store at the mouth of Apple Creek
and sent his daughter away to a French and English school, so she was



1




OF HI



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1149

well educated and she was also a handsome woman. She was the widow
of one Lorimer, and one child was born, Louisa. The mother died, and
several years later Mr. Logan moved to Illinois, and here he married
for his second wife Elizabeth Jenkins, a native of North Carolina,
whose father removed from that state to South Carolina and later to
Tennessee, and subsequently came to Union county, Illinois, where he
spent the remainder of his life in farming. Mr. Jenkins raised a com-
pany during the Black Hawk war, later becoming the colonel of his
regiment, and his son served the state as lieutenant governor. In 1826
Dr. John Logan removed to what is now Murphysboro, buying a tract
of one hundred and sixty acres of land, and in 1842, when the county
commissioners chose a part of that farm for the site of the new court
house, he readily donated a large portion of his land, on which the
square and court house are now located. The original Logan home,
which was erected by him, was remodeled, the same logs being used in
rebuilding, and this homestead is located on South Eighteenth street.
During the Black Hawk war Dr. Logan offered his services to his coun-
try, and throughout that struggle served as a surgeon. A prominent
member of the Illinois medical profession, he was also interested in
public matters, and rose to positions of honor and trust, being several
times sent to the legislature. He passed away in 1853, and his widow
survived him until 1876, when she passed away. Both were earnest
members of the Methodist Episcopal church, South.

Thomas M. Logan was educated in the public schools, and was reared
to the life of an agriculturist, eventually becoming the owner of three
hundred acres of fine land, which he devoted to general farming and
the breeding of fine cattle and thoroughbred horses. In 1892, with J.
C. Clarke, he laid out the Clarke & Logan addition to Murphysboro, a
tract of eighty acres, and eventually became the organizer and director
of the First National and City National banks, and with John Ozburn
built the manufacturing mill and the Logan & Deshon mill. Actively
interested in all of his city's interests, he became president of the Mur-
physboro Street Railway Company, and held that position up to the
time of his death. In 1891 he bought the site of the present Logan
home, which cost in the neighborhood of thirty-five thousand dollars.
There his widow, who was Miss Sallie Oliver, of Lecompton, Kansas, now
resides.

As an intelligent man and reader, Mr. Logan was always well versed
in the current events and affairs of the day, whether from an educa-
tional or political standpoint. While his strong self-reliance required
him to adhere with tenacity to those views which his judgment and
investigation led him to adopt, his sincerity was undoubted, and his
integrity was unquestioned. Holding the warmest place in the hearts
of those who knew him best whether at the home fireside or in the
circle of friendship his life and character were a tower of strength,
and his memory shall be a benediction to those who loved him so well,
He passed away at his home in Murphysboro on the 26th of June, 1907.

RICHARD TALLEY, formerly known as Dick, was born in Ireland, May
30, 1826. He came to America in 1830, with his parents, where he grew
up to manhood, after which he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Ann
Wilkinson, daughter of Bennie Wilkinson, of Missouri, and settled down
farming in Franklin county, Illinois, on what is known as ' ' Town Mount
Prairie," the postoffice being Plumfield. In time two children were
born to this union, James Benjamin Talley and Elizabeth Talley. In
1861. on June 6th, he volunteered and inlisted in Company I. of an Illi-
nois regiment, and served three years in the war after which he received



1150 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

an honorable discharge and returned home. He began farming in the
coming spring, and in the same spring a quarrel ensued between him and
his brother-in-law, resulting in the fighting of a duel, in which they shot
each other and both died. Richard left his wife, son and daughter to
mourn his loss. Eleven months after his death his wife, Sarah Ann,
died, leaving James Benjamin Talley and Elizabeth Talley to grow up
in the world the best they could. James Benjamin was but five years and
ten months old, his sister, Elizabeth Talley, being one year his senior.
They were then taken by Ben Wilkinson, their uncle. When sixteen
years old, James Benjamin Talley came to Jackson county, and Eliza-
beth Talley, when ten years old, went to her grandfather, Bennie Wil-
kinson, in Northwest Missouri. There, at the age of seventeen years, she
was married to George Taylor, after which they began traveling and their
whereabouts are unknown to this day.

James Benjamin Talley came to Jackson county and settled down at
Oraville, Illinois, after which he was engaged in the timber business with
Dutch Payne for about six months. He then began farming for Bill
Bradley, but after farming for him three years he left and went into the
blacksmith business with Freel Robinson at Oraville, staying there six
months. Selling out, he then began railroading, but after eight months
returned to farming, working for Frank Bastien for six months. Next he
engaged in the timber business at Vergennes, staying there three months
and then went to Severance, Kansas, and took up farming there, but only
remaining at that place about two months, when he returned to Oraville,
Illinois, and engaged in farming again for Bill Bradley.

During that time Mr. Talley was united in marriage to Miss Mary
Bastien, daughter of Frank Bastien, who resided one mile west of Ora-
ville, and began farming for himself on Frank Bastien 's farm. One child
was born to them, named Henry ; after two years Mr. Talley moved to E.
H. Snider 's farm, four miles north of Murphysboro, Illinois. There to
their union was born the second child, named Edward. Farming there
one year, he then moved to the R. A. McCord farm, one-quarter of a mile
west of Oraville, farming there one year, when he moved to his own farm
in Levan Township, in section sixteen, residing there off and on for
twenty-two years. To their union seven children were born, as follows :
Marion, Willie, Gertrude, Ida, Lulu, Frank and Sarah.

About March 10, 1903, Mr. Talley bought Mr. Elex Ripley's farm, lo-
cated three-quarters of a mile west of Oraville, and moved there, but after
one month sold it back to Mr. E. Ripley and returned to the farm in Le-
van Township, staying there six months. He then bought the John
Murray property, on the north edge of Oraville, staying there until
the middle of the next summer, when he sold and moved back to the farm
in Levan Township. Leaving the farm in the care of his sons Edward
and Willie the remainder of the family moved back to Oraville, where
they all reside at present with the exception of Sallie Gertrude, who is in
East St. Louis, Illinois. The son Edward married Miss May Deitz,
daughter of Noah Deitz, of Levan Township, and his brother Willie lives
with him.

J. B. Talley and son Henry purchased the merchandise business of
J. L. Bradley & Son, of Oraville, where they are at present. Mr. J. B.
Talley 's knowledge of the needs of the people of his community has stood
him in good stead in selecting his new stock. He has lived in this locality
for a long period, is well known to the citizens here and bears an excel-
lent reputation as a man of sterling integrity and upright business prin-
ciples. Politically, he is a Republican.



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1151

HENRY TALLEY, junior member of the mercantile firm of Talley & Son,
at Oraville, Illinois, belongs to the younger generation of business men
of Southern Illinois, whose enthusiasm and enterprise have done so much
toward developing of late years the commercial interests of this section.
Born on a farm and reared to agricultural pursuits, he has shown him-
self quick to adapt himself to his new occupation, and has educated him-
self in modern methods of doing business to such an extent that he has in-
troduced several up-to-date innovations in his business and is rapidly
making a place for himself among the substantial men of his community.
Mr. Talley is a native of Jackson county, and has spent his entire career
here.

Henry Talley 's early life was spent on his father's farm, and his edu-
cation was secured in the public schools, while attending which he as-
sisted his father in the work around the homestead. As a youth, how-
ever, he manifested a desire to give up the cultivation of the soil and en-
gage in some more congenial occupation, and for some years he followed
railroading. He had always had a desire to enter the mercantile field,
and when his father informed him of his purpose to purchase the business
of Mr. Bradley, young Talley became his partner, and the association has
since continued. A business connection of this kind is one of the best
that can be formed, the conservatism of the older man and his experience
in matters of business counterbalancing the more daring ventures of
youth. Both father and son in this case have many warm personal friends
in this community, and the manner in which they are being supported in
their new venture speaks well for the future of the concern. Henry Tal-



Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 10 of 98)