Copyright
George Washington Smith.

A history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) online

. (page 14 of 98)
Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 14 of 98)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


clean and newsy, which has already a large local circulation, and a most
liberal advertising patronage. Mr. Burton has without doubt one of the
best job printing establishments in Jefferson county, and in addition to
doing much local work is well patronized by people from Mount Vernon
and other cities who desire a neat, attractive and accurate job of print-
ing done.

Mr. Burton married, January 22, 1908, Edna F. Gerdom, of Saint
Louis, Missouri, and they have one chilB, Charles E. Burton, born Feb-
ruary 6, 1910.

CARROLL MOORE. Among the men to whom Southern Illinois may
look for the prosperity that blesses the region there is a man who for
many years has served the community by guiding and supporting the
business interests of this part of the state, and in his capacity of banker
and capitalist has ever yielded the most active personal and financial
support to every enterprise advanced for the public interest. He has
seen the country pass through panics and hard times; he has watched
the growth of the early agricultural district into a still more fruitful
farming region and into one of the most progressive business sections
in the state ; and he has ever lent his wisdom and grasp of complicated
situations to the building up of stable institutions and the management
of affairs.



OF ME
OF



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1171

Carroll Moore was born in Franklin county, Illinois, on the 1st of
September, 1837, whither his parents had come three years before. His
father and mother, Joseph and Mary Moore, both natives of Tennessee,
came to Illinois in 1834 and camped for a time on the banks of Jordan
fort until they were able to take up a tract of land for cultivation.
When they got their homestead it was heavily timbered. With typical
Moore energy and enthusiasm, they cleared their acreage and continued
to manage their farm well. They made their permanent home in the
county, and lived here all their remaining lives. Joseph Moore passed
away in 1848. He was the son of Thomas Moore, another early settler
in this region, who also took out land in Franklin county in the year
1834, and spent the remainder of his days on a farm. Joseph Moore
had a most valorous record for service during the Black Hawk war, one
of the most interesting and thrilling pages in the history of Illinois.

Carroll Moore, the immediate subject of this short personal record,
spent his early life on his parents' homestead and received his educa-
tion at the common schools of the county. He was still a school-boy at
the breaking out of the Civil war, but though young he had a man's en-
thusiasm and interest in the cause, and in 1861 he helped to raise a com-
pany Company I of the Thirty-first Illinois Infantry, and was sub-
sequently elected its captain and served in the Union army until Jan-
uary, 1865. He was in a great many serious engagements and many
times distinguished himself as a commanding officer. He was present
at Belmont, Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, and led his company through-
out the Vicksburg and Atlanta campaigns and was with Sherman on that
never-to-be-forgotten march from Atlanta to the sea. On the 22d of
July, 1864, during a serious encounter at Atlanta, Georgia, Captain
Moore was wounded, but he continued to hold his place in the service,
not even leaving his command to go to the hospital. At the close of the
war he returned to Illinois and started life on a little farm; but that
he left in the fall of 1865 to become deputy internal revenue assessor,
and in this capacity he served the Federal government until his elec-
tion, in 1870, to the office of sheriff. As sheriff Mr. Moore served two
years, meantime buying a great deal of land. In 1873 he decided to
enter the mercantile field and accordingly went into the dry-goods bus-
iness with W. R. Ward as partner, and continued to be so engaged until
1875, when he and his partner started the Ward and Moore Bank, the
first bank to be established in the country, and the only monetary in-
stitution of its kind here for twenty years.

In January, 1898, Mr. Moore and his associate organized the Benton
State Bank, Mr. W. R. Ward being elected its president and Mr. Moore
its vice-president. The bank has since become known as the strongest
and most reliable financial institution in this part of the state. Mr.
Moore has since become its president. The institution is capitalized
at fifty thousand dollars and has a surplus of sixty thousand. Its aver-
age yearly deposits amount to four hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
' In 1863 Mr. Moore was united in marriage to Miss Narcissa Layman,
daughter of John D. Layman, one of the early stalwart pioneers of
Franklin county. She passed away three years later, in 1866, survived
by one child, William E. Moore, now a prominent merchant of Benton,
Illinois. In 1873 Mr. Moore was again united in marriage, his bride
being Miss Dora Snyder, the daughter of Solomon Snyder, one of the
earliest and best-known settlers in Franklin county, Illinois. It is in-
teresting to note that when Mr. Snyder first came to Franklin county
it was still a virgin wilderness and almost, unpopulated save for the rem-
nants of the Indian tribes that had formerly held sway. He made a
business of buying and dressing hogs, selling them at two dollars and a



1172 HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

half a hundred pounds. His daughter, the wife of Carroll Moore, died
in 1893. She was the mother of the following children : Mary Moore,
who became the wife of W. W. Williams, a well-known attorney and
mining man ; Harry, now prosperously engaged in the mining business ;
Grace, bookkeeper in the Benton State Bank ; and Cicel, single, is in the
Christian College in Missouri, class of 1912. In 1898 was solemnized the
marriage of Mr. Moore to Helen A. Hickman, daughter of Dr. Z. Hick-
man, one of the most successful and trusted physicians of the county.
To this union have been born two children, Madge and Carroll. Both
are attending school. Mrs. Moore is a member of the Baptist church, and
her husband is an active member of the Christian denomination.

It is interesting to note that Mr. Moore has been a member of the
Ancient Free and Accepted Masons for over forty-five years and is a
chapter Mason. He is also a member of the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks and of the Grand Army of the Republic.

Politically he has all his life been an influential member of the Repub-
lican party, lending his energy gladly to forward the interests of the party
he thinks most dedicated to the general welfare. He served a term of
four years on the state board of equalization, and was one of the com-
missioners that placed the monuments on the soldiers' graves in the
National Cemetery at Vicksburg, Mississippi.

Mr. Moore at present devotes the greater part of his time to his
extensive farming interests, for he is keenly interested in the future
of scientific farming in Illinois. He is not only one of the wealthiest
but one of the best liked and most public spirited citizens in Franklin
county, and his name has been associated with almost every large un-
dertaking that has led to the betterment of conditions in this region
for over forty years.

ABEAM G. GORDON is eminently deserving of recognition and represen-
tation among the men who have been strongly instrumental in promoting
the welfare of Chester, Illinois, where he is a senior member of the bar.
The son of a family of ancient lineage and high birth, he has faithfully
upheld the traditions of his house, and the name of Gordon is as bright
and untarnished today as it was in the days of Richard of Gordon, Lord
of the Barony of Gordon in the Merse, midway of the twelfth century.
The family has ever been one of strong purpose, dominant will and high-
est integrity. The father of Abram G. Gordon is but another of the
many illustrious examples of the strength and power which are the
glowing attributes of the name of Gordon. The founder of the church
of the Free Will Baptists and ever the ardent and faithful disciple of
the church of his organization, he has done more for the religious and
spiritual growth and the broadening of Christian charity in the hearts
and minds of the people who came within the sphere of his influence than
any other man in Southern Illinois. As the son of his father, Abram
Gordon has been as active in a busines way and in the developing of the
material resources of Chester as was that parent in the development
of the spiritual life of this section of the state.

Abram G. Gordon is the son of Rev. Henry and Nancy (Hill) Gordon,
and he was born in Randolph county, Illinois, on the 6th of November,
1849. He was one of the nine children of his parents, the others being:
Mary ; Rev. George A., who is carrying on the work which his father
commenced; Henry C., deceased; Parker, a merchant of Ava, Illinois;
Dr. Noel R., of Springfield. Illinois ; Charles S., in business at Ava, Illi-
nois ; Edward B., a railroad man of St. Louis ; and Ora C., a merchant
of Percy, Illinois. The father passed away in 1896, after a long and
noble life of good works, and his devoted wife survived him until 1905.



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1173

After completing the curriculum of the public schools of his native
place Abrarn G. Gordon was matriculated as a student in McKendree
College at Lebanon, Illinois, in which worthy institution he completed
both the scientific and Latin courses, and in which he also prosecuted
the study of law. He was duly graduated in 1873, with the degree of
Bachelor of Laws, and initiated the active practice of his profession
in 1874. He is well known as one of the most prominent and able law-
years in Randolph county, the years telling the tale of an eminently suc-
cessful career, due to the possession of innate talent along the line of his
chosen profession. Most of his attention has been devoted to civil
rather than criminal practice, and a review of the docket of the courts
of his jurisdiction will show his connection with much of the varied lit-
igation that has come up within the last thirty years. In addition to
his law practice he has had time for the development of various business
projects affecting the welfare of the city, and his part in many of the
industrial activities of the county has been large and worthy. He as-
sisted in the promotion of the Grand View Hotel and the knitting mills
at Chester, and in connection with his son built the Gordon telephone
system of Chester in 1898. The telephone exchange since then has de-
veloped extensively and now covers much of Randolph county. It
has toll lines to Steeleville and Percy and owns the exchanges in those
places, in addition to which it also owns farmers' lines of its own con-
struction and gives connection to co-operative rural lines, thus bringing
the country into close touch with the towns. Various other enterprises
have also felt his influence and power, all of which has redounded to
the good of his city and county.

In politics Mr. Gordon maintains an independent attitude, prefer-
ring to give his support to men and measures meeting with the ap-
proval of his judgment, rather than to vote along strictly partisan
lines. In his religious faith he is a member of the Baptist church, in
kind with the other members of his family. Fraternally he is affiliated
with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is past noble grand
of that order, as well as having sat in the Grand Lodge of the order in
Illinois.

On November 6, 1873, Mr. Gordon was married at Percy, Illinois, to
Miss Clara J. Short, a daughter of R. J. Short, long a prominent farmer
in Randolph county. Mr. and Mrs. Gordon have three children : Eugene
R., manager of the Gordon telephone system at Chester, married Miss
Agnes Aszmann ; Clarice is the wife of Edward W. Meredith, of Ches-
ter ; and Florence married B. C. McCloud, also of Chester.

JULIUS HUEGELY. The milling interests of Nashville, Illinois, are
very extensive, the city being located in the center of a great agricul-
tural district, and prominent among those who have identified them-
selves with this industry may be mentioned Julius Huegely, the young-
est son of John Huegely, and one of the successors of his venerable
father in the management of the interprise founded and developed by
the latter during the thirty-seven years of his active connection with
Nashville affairs. Julius Huegely was born near the site of the big
Nashville mill, March 27, 1870.

John Huegely was born November 11, 1818, in Hassloch, Bavaria,
Germany, and his parents being in rather humble circumstances, he was
given only limited educational advantages, and as a lad was forced to
go out and make his Own way in the world. Mr. Huegely remained in
his native country until he had reached his majority, and then started
for the United States, arriving at New Orleans March 9, 1840. Looking
about for work with which to earn money to enable him to journey



1174 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

further north, he secured employment at sawing wood, and thus earned
passage money to Monroe county, Illinois, where he obtained work with
Mr. Sauers, father of the proprietor of Sauers Milling Company, Evans-
ville, Illinois. He continued with that gentleman for two years, and
then entered the employ of Conrad Eisenmayer, who conducted a water
mill at Red Bud, Illinois, his wages there being twelve dollars per
month. Subsequently he removed to a farm near Mascoutah, Illinois,
but soon thereafter engaged with Ph. H. Postel, and continued with
him until 1853, which year marked the forming of a partnership with
Ph. H. Reither, they purchasing the saw and grist mill at Nashville.
In 1860 the old mill was replaced by the present structure, which at
that time had a capacity of two hundred barrels, and in 1871 Mr.
Huegely bought his partner's interest and enlarged and remodeled the
mill from time to time until it is now a modern plant of five hundred
barrels' capacity. In 1890, feeling that he was entitled to a rest after
his many years of industrious labor, Mr. Huegely turned over the active
management of the venture to his sons, John Jr., and Julius, and his
son-in-law, Theodore L. Reuter, who have since conducted the business.
The success which attended the efforts of Mr. Huegely in his private
affairs led the citizens of his community to believe that he would be
just as able to manage the business of the public, and he served for some
time as associate judge of Washington county and as delegate to the
Republican national convention in 1864 which nominated Abraham
Lincoln for his second term as president. For about sixty-two years
he has been a consistent member of the Methodist church. Although
he is in his ninety-fourth year, Mr. Huegely is hale and hearty, in full
possession of his faculties, and an interested observer of all important
topics of the times. A self-made man in all that the word implies, he
has so conducted his affairs that they have helped to build up his com-
munity, and no man is more highly respected or esteemed.

Julius Huegely attended the public schools of his native place and
spent three years in the Central High School and Wesleyan College of
Warrenton, Missouri, rounding out his preparation for efficient service
with his father by taking a course in a St. Louis commercial college. His
connection with the big factory began in 1889, when he came into the
accounting department, and since the retirement of his father this de-
partment of the concern has fallen to him, largely, as his portion of
the responsibilities to be borne by the new regime.

On August 17, 1904, Mr. Huegely was married in St. Louis, Mis-
souri, to Miss Cora Wehrman, of Champaign, Illinois, daughter of the
Rev. Charles "Wehrman, a minister of the Methodist church, stationed
at Ogden, Illinois, and a native son of the Fatherland. Mr. and Mrs.
Huegely have had two children: Julius Wallace and Charles Russell.
Mr. Huegely is a director in the First National Bank of Nashville and
of the Nashville Hospital Association, and is president of the Nashville
Pressed Brick Company. His political affiliations have been fashioned
after his elders, and the interests of the Republican party have ever
claimed his attention. He has served as secretary of the county central
committee and was a delegate to the Republican national convention of
1900 which nominated Colonel Roosevelt for President McKinley's sec-
ond running mate. As a Mason he was worshipful master of the Blue
Lodge for four years and high priest of the Chapter eight years, repre-
senting both bodies in the Illinois Grand Lodge during his incumbency
of the chairs. He is a Knight of Pythias and has clung to the teach-
ings of his parents in spiritual matters, being a faithful attendant of
the Methodist Episcopal church. His home is one of the residences in
the cluster of homes in the atmosphere of the parental domicile, in ac-



HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1175

cordance with the plan of the father in gathering his children about him
for a happy and contented termination of the parental lives.

WILLIAM E. BEADEN. The soil of Southern Illinois has perhaps pro-
duced a greater number of wealthy and influential citizens than any
other section of similar area and advantages. Randolph county is par-
ticularly rich in men of that status, and prominent among them all is
William E. Braden, successful farmer, stock-breeder and lumber dealer
of Sparta. He was born near Rosborough, Illinois, November 10, 1846,
and is the son of Moses Braden, who established the Braden family in
Randolph county in the early forties, and where it has been prominent
and influential over since.

The name Braden is Teutonic, and was brought to England by Teu-
tons, Angles and Saxons. The first mention of Braden in English his-
tory is in Green's History of the English People in the twelfth century.
A forest in England was known as the Braden wood. Nothing of note
is further known than that Bradens were British subjects until the
seventeenth century, when Cromwell put down a rebellion in Ireland.
One of the vanquished rebel chiefs, "McG-uire," Petty King of county
Fermanagh and county Tyrone, was stripped of most of his domain,
and it was given to Cromwell's brother officers in the English army,
among whom were Captain Herbert Braden and Captain George Braden.
Herbert Braden died a bachelor, and the estate became the property
of Captain George Braden. One of the holders of the estate, supposedly
Captain George Braden, was created a Baronet, with the title "Sir."

The name Braden has been spelled a number of ways Braden,
Braiden, Brading, Breeden, Breden, and even Brayden and Breeding,
but all these names of Irish ancestry or birth are descendants of Cap-
tain George Braden, of county Tyrone, Ireland. Between 1840 and
1850 Sir James Braden, of county Tyrone, Ireland, was a member of
Parliament. A Braden, an Irishman, was a great Congregational min-
ister in London, for some years rivaling Doctor Spurgeon, in his day,
and quite a number of Bradens have become ministers in this country,
seven having sprung from one family in Pennsylvania, all preaching in
1863, one being president of Vanderbilt University in 1878, but among
all of the Braden. ministers none were more prominent or did a greater
work than Rev. Clark Braden, now near eighty-one years of age, hale
and hearty, of Carbon, California, who founded and held the presidency
for some years of Southern Illinois College at Carbondale, which later
became the Southern Illinois Normal.

Moses Braden was born in county Donegal, Ireland, in 1818, and
when nearing his majority, he, having kissed the Blarney Stone, ac-
companied by a cousin, John Braden, left Ireland and came to America.
They located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where they found work at
their trade as weavers. Later they came to Chicago and still later to
St; Louis, engaging in manual labor of any sort when work at their trade
might not be found. They finally drifted into Perry county, Illinois,
where they became attracted by the splendid opportunities offered an
ambitious man in a farming way, and they settled down to farm life in
that district.

The father of Moses Braden, William, and family a son and three
daughters followed some years later to America and settled in Phila-
delphia. Pennsylvania. One daughter was married to James Russel, of
Philadelphia, and the other two to Samuel and John Rogers, both of
Brooklyn, New York; they all raised families. The son, who was also
William, died a bachelor about 1871 or 1872. The family to which the
cousin, John Braden, belonged also came to Philadelphia ; one brother,



1176 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

Oliver, made two trips to Illinois in the '60s to visit him. Descendants
of both families drifted westward from Pennsylvania to Ohio, and far-
ther north, south and west.

In 1844 Moses Braden married Mary Stewart, late from county An-
trim, Ireland, and he and his wife were the parents of William E., Eliz-
abeth, who died before mature years; John T., who was married in
1884 to Maggie J. Telford, who bore two children, Ethel M. and Clinton
S., and died in 1889, near Sparta; and Sarah J., who became Mrs. J. B.
Pier, and was the mother of two children, W. R. and C. S., and now
resides in Sparta, Illinois. Moses Braden passed away near Rosborough,
November 9, 1853, and his widow followed him July 19, 1871.

William E. Braden received his principal education in the public
schools, with two terms in the Sparta High School. He followed the oc-
cupation of his father, in which he grew up by his own energy and dili-
gence, and has always maintained an active and profitable interest in
that pursuit. Later in his agricultural career he became an enthusist
on the subject of thoroughbred horses and cattle, and in more recent
years he has devoted his time and attention to those interests. He is
widely known throughout Southern Illinois as a grain and stock farmer,
and he is now serving his third term as director in the State Farmers
Institute from the twenty-fifth congressional district. In addition to
grain and stock farming he has attained a considerable reputation
among stock breeders. The breeds he is most interested in are the regis-
tered Hamiltonian and Percheron horses and Shorthorn cattle. While
not an importer of registered males, he has bred up a fine strain of
horses of the bloods mentioned, and his modest herd of Shorthorns show
pedigrees of Scotch tops from the well known breeders Wilhelm of Ohio,
and the Harned stock farm of Missouri. Mr. Braden and his sons' estate
comprises a goodly tract of land near the scenes of his childhood, and
his place is one of the finest in the state. Mr. Braden and sons are also
the owners of between two and three thousand acres of land in other
states, namely, Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, Colorado and North Dakota.

In 1895 Mr. Braden invested largely in the lumber business in Sparta
in the interests of his sons, thus establishing them firmly in a splendid
business. The Schulenberger and Beckler yard in Sparta thus came
into the possession of the Braden family, and the senior Braden is al-
most as deeply interested in the manipulation of that business as are
his sons. Mr. Braden is and has been president of the Cutler Creamery
and Cheese Company since its organization in 1889, which is about the
only one of the various plants of that character organized during the
so-called "creamery age" that is still being operated by the men who
promoted it, and with E. C. Gemmill as secretary and manager, now a
heavy stockholder, holding his position since the plant opened for bus-
iness, they have done a most successful business since they started. Mr.
Braden 's life record is purely that of a business man. He has not
permitted politics or its demands to interfere with the operation of his
business, being interested in the fortunes of the Republican party in
a merely casual manner.

On March 23, 1876, Mr. Braden married Jane Smiley, the daughter
of James Smiley, who was an early settler of Marissa, Illinois, originally
from Ireland. Mrs. Braden was born in Randolph county. Mr. and
Mrs. Braden are the parents of Smiley M., of Sparta, interested in busi-
ness with his father, who married Miss Estella Richie, and they have a
son, Stanley R., born February 23, 1911 ; Clarence A., a lawyer of East
St. Louis, married Miss Paiila Dimer. of Champaign, Illinois. January
17, 1906 ; Anna Mary married Ed. H. Smith, March 22, 1910, and re-
sides in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and has a daughter, Jane B., born



HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1177

May 6, 1911. The Braden family are affiliated with the Covenanter



Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 14 of 98)