Copyright
George Washington Smith.

A history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) online

. (page 27 of 98)
Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 27 of 98)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


B. McLaren gained only snatches of education and after he was grown
and married did not possess even a common school education. As a
mere lad he was induced to enter the mines at McAlester, by the advice
of a physician, who told him, in brief, "either mine or move." Bur-
rowing into the depths of the earth seemed to agree with him, and he
worked at his father's side then and for some time after the family
returned to Illinois.

While living at Streator he left the mines to take up railroading,
but he preferred the life underground and in less than a year was back
in the diggings. In 1895 he left this locality and went to Carbon Hill
in Grundy county, where the Star Coal Company had other mines.
Here it was that ambition awoke within him, and the interesting event
that enabled him to become, instead of one who works with his hands,
one who works with his head, took place. At this time he was a co-
workman with other miners, as black and grimy as any one of his fel-
lows, with no thought of ever becoming anything else, but he had wise
friends and a wonderful wife, and at the advice and urging of these
he was persuaded to take a course in the Scranton Correspondence
Schools on the subject of mine managing. His wife was a powerful



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1255

factor in his success, encouraging and aiding him in doing the work
efficienty, and later helping him to prepare for the examination. How
thorough had been his preparation was shown by the ease with which
he passed the state examination. He was appointed a manager by the
Star people some time before he left their service.

From Carbon Hill Mr. McLaren came to Williamson county in 1901.
Mr. Goodall, the superintendent of the Chicago Big Muddy, and the
man who had originally developed the property, was about to retire.
Mr. McLaren was offered the position, as his successor, which he ac-
cepted, and has held ever since. This position is one of the most re-
sponsible superintendencies in the Marion vicinity, the mine giving em-
ployment to some three hundred men and producing about eighteen
hundred tons of coal daily.

Mr. McLaren met his wife at Streator, when they were both chil-
dren, and he was a boarder in the Peters' home, of which family she
was a member. She was Emily, the daughter "of Joseph Peters, and
was born July 1, 1878. Her father was a native of England and Mrs.
McLaren was born across the water. As a young boy, while he was
attempting to master the science of digging coal, she was wont to aid
him in his attempts to master fractions, as she later helped him to
equip himself for the position he now holds, so in literal truth she has
been a helpmate. The children of this union are William, Joseph,
Eliza, Mary and Esther.

Mr. McLaren is a Republican, but evinces no special interest in
the game of politics, although he holds himself ready to accept. any civic
responsibility with which he may be shouldered. He served Carbon
Hill as a councilman, and has also performed a life service for Marion,
acting from the Third ward. He is at present serving his third term
on the school board. He is an active member of both the Masons and the
Knights of Pythias, being a member of the Blue Lodge and of the
Chapter at Marion, and belonging to the Mt. Vernon Commandery, to
the Oriental Consistory and to the Medina Temple at Chicago. He was
made a Knight of Pythias at Streator, was transferred when he went
to Carbon Hill, and again on his removal to Marion. Here he is a
member and chairman of the Knights of Pythias building committee,
and is also a member of the joint committee of the Knights of Pythias
and the Masons on the erection of their hall in 1911. He is likewise a
member of the building committee of the Methodist church in the erec-
tion of their new edifice, under construction in 1911. He was one of
the promoters of the Citizens Trust and Banking Company, holding
stock in that institution, and he is also a stockholder in the El Dorado,
Marion and South Western Railway Company.

The above long list of outside interests goes to show that Mr. Mc-
Laren has not allowed the responsibility of business cares to wholly
absorb him, but has sought a wider field of activity. Scarcely enough
credit can be given to this man, who simply through inertia might have
allowed his splendid faculties to atrophy, but instead set to work and
overcame his early handicap. In doing this he did not, after having
reached the goal, turn from his old friends, but in his good fortune
always has an eye for the ill fortune of others, is glad to help any man
with his counsel and advice, just as he himself was helped. This is
perhaps the true reason for his popularity.

HARVEY W. SHRINEB. Foremost among the leaders of the legal
profession in Southern Illinois, Harvey W. Shriner stands pre-eminent
as one who has achieved success in his chosen profession. He has long
practiced in all the courts of the state, and has handled successfully



1256 HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

some of the most important cases that have come to litigation. His
courteous and kindly disposition, together with his alert and enter-
prising mind and his excellent preparation for his work, has brought
about his reputation as one of the representative men of Clay county.

Harvey W. Shriner was born in Vinton county, Ohio, October 25,
1861. He is the son of Silas and Susan (Luse) Shriner, both natives
of Ohio. Silas Shriner was a farmer and came to Clay county, Illinois,
in October, 1864, where he remained until his death, which occurred
in June, 1906. His father Francis Shriner, the grandfather of Harvey
W., was a native of Pennsylvania, who afterwards removed to Ohio
and devoted his life to farming interests. The mother of Harvey W.
Shriner is still living and is a resident of Flora. She is a woman of
splendid character and pleasing personality and is passing her declin-
ing years happily in the love of her children. Six children were born
to her, five of whom are now living. They are : Ibbie, deceased ; Mrs.
Louisa Frame, of Chicago; Harvey W., of this review; Albert G., of
Springfield, Illinois ; Mrs. Ida MacGregor, of Flora ; and Pearl V., who
is living on the old farm home, five miles from Flora.

Mr. Shriner received his early education in the public schools of
Flora, later attending a business college at Cairo, Illinois. He then
completed a course at the National University at Lebanon, Ohio, in
which institution his scholarship was of an especially high order. Af-
ter graduating therefrom he taught school for six winters in Clay
county, performing his work with all efficiency and winning high rep-
utation as a teacher. But the life of a pedagogue did not appeal to him,
and he felt that he possessed the ability for greater things. The law
especially appealed to him, and after some deliberation he began the
study and was admitted to the bar in February, 1887. In June of that
year he formed a partnership with one D. C. Hagle, prominent in legal
circles in these parts, and that partnership endured until dissolved by
the death of Mr. Hagle in 1897. The two formed a particularly strong
combination and built up a splendid practice during the years of their
association. Since the death of his partner, Mr. Shriner has conducted
his practice alone, although his ever increasing popularity makes him
a very busy man.

Since his earliest association with the legal profession Mr. Shriner
has taken an active part in the political life of his community. In
1888 he was elected state's attorney of Clay county on the Republican
ticket, and was re-elected in 1892, which term was followed by re-
election again in 1896. The excellency of his service is vouched for by
the number of terms he was called to the office. He was a member of
the board of education of Flora for several terms and supervisor of
his township. In 1904 Mr. Shriner was named for the office of repre-
sentative to the state legislature, and he was elected to the office by a
flattering majority, running away ahead of his ticket at the election.
He employed his time as a representative in a manner that was con-
clusive proof of the wisdom of his constituents. He was known to be
one of the strong advocates of local option, and did much for the fur-
therance of the cause. In November, 1905, Mr. Shriner was appointed
deputy revenue collector for Division No. 4 of the thirteenth district
of Illinois, which position he has filled with all credit and efficiency.

Aside from his many other interests Mr. Shriner has devoted some
of his time to farming and is the owner of a very fine farm in Stanford
township, Clay county, near to Flora. It is well equipped and wisely
managed, and among his stock, of which he is an excellent judge, may
be found many of the better breeds. In a fraternal way, he is a Ma-
son and a Woodman. He has ever been a power in the civic life of his



HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1257

community, and his labors in behalf of his city and county have been
of a most unselfish nature. The dominant qualities of his life have
been of an intense and forceful nature, and the success of his career is
but the natural outcome of such a character as his.

Mr. Shriner has been twice married. In September of 1885 he was
united in marriage with Emma Critchlow, of Louisville, Clay county,
the daughter of an old and highly esteemed family of that place.
Three sons were born of their union : Austin D., Carlton C. and Silas.
Mrs. Shriner passed away in January, 1896. In recent years Mr.
Shriner married Miss Francis Higginson, of Flora, and they are the
parents of a daughter, Mabel.

JOHN E. McGouGHEY, prominent in the practice of his profession,
that of the law, in Lawrenceville since 1890, is recognized in his com-
munity as one of the solid and substantial business men who have con-
tributed much to the prosperity and advancement of this city. A suc-
cessful lawyer, a wise business man, a capable one in any public official
position, and an admirable citizen and a man of family, Lawrenceville
recognizes no finer example of citizenship than is represented by this
worthy gentleman.

Born in Jackson county, Indiana, on March 31, 1862, John E. Mc-
Goughey is the son of John McGoughey and Harriet E. (Meyers) Mc-
Goughey. The father was a native of Kentucky, born there on July
27, 1809. He was a farmer by occupation, and he came to Illinois on
the llth of April, 1870, locating in Lawrence county. His marriage
to Harriet Meyers took place in Jackson county, Indiana, and in that
state they made their home for a number of years. They became the
parents of four children, of which number John E. is the third born.
Previous to his marriage with Harriet Meyers, Mr. McGoughey had
been married, and was the father of eight children. He was a Demo-
crat in politics, and his religious faith is that of the Presbyterians, in
which he was reared by his Scotch parents. He was a man of fine in-
tellect, generous and kindly instincts, quiet in his manner of life, and
. in every way an admirable and estimable citizen. He died February
14, 1873. His widow still lives, and on the 14th of October, 1911, she
celebrated the seventy-sixth anniversary of her birth.

John E. McGoughey lived in Indiana with his parents until he
had reached the age of eight years, when the family home was moved
to Lawrence county, Illinois, destined thereafter to be his home and the
field of his business activities through life. He attended the public
schools of the village where they lived, and having finished the com-
mon schools himself earned the money to make possible his attendance
at a normal school in Mitchell, Indiana, conducted by Professor Lugen-
beal, now president of Winona Lake College. Following his course of
study in this private school, which was most thorough and calculated
to fit him for entrance at any college, he took up the study of law un-
der the preceptorship of E. B. Green, of Mt. Carmel, Illinois, and so
well did he progress with his studies that on February 24, 1890, he
was admitted to the bar of Illinois. He began the practice of his pro-
fession on March 1, 1890, making but little delay in becoming estab-
lished in a business way, and immediately formed a partnership with
one W. F. Foster, which association continued until two years later,
after which he remained alone until 1895. In that year he formed a
partnership with J. D. Madding, the arrangement enduring for four
years and on the dissolution of that partnership Mr. McGoughey con-
ducted an independent practice until 1909, when he became associated
with N. M. Tohill.



1258 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

Mr. McGoughey is a Democrat, but is not a politician nor an as-
pirant for political honors. He has held various offices since he became
connected with the business and professional life of Lawrenceville, and
was state's attorney between 1892 and 1896. One line of business in-
dustry which has particularly attracted his attention is the oil busi-
ness, in which he has been active for some time. He has been the legal
representative of practically every independent oil producer in this
section of the country, including the Indian Refining Company, and
the Central Refining Company. Mr. McGoughey is a member of the
Christian church, and in a fraternal way is affiliated with the Masonic
order, in which he holds the Knight Templar degree, and he is a mem-
ber of the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks.

On September 24, 1890, Mr. McGoughey was united in marriage
with Bessie A. Ennis, of Mitchell, Indiana, a daughter of Charles Ennis,
formerly in the railroad business at that place, but now retired from
active service. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Mc-
Goughey, Guy, John and Helen.

HARVEY D. McCoLLUM is one of the younger sons of Clay county
who have been identified with the best business interests of Louisville
since they inaugurated their business careers, and he is one of the ablest
and most progressive. of the younger class of business men. He was
born in Clay county, March 13, 1879, and is the son of James C. and
Mary (Long) McCollum. The father was also a native of Clay county,
born there August 9, 1844, while the mother was born in Wayne county
on May 5, 1853. James McCollum lived on his father's farm and at-
tended the village schools as a boy and until he had attained years of
young manhood, when he came to Louisville and entered into the mer-
chandise business, with which he has been successfully identified for
years. He is a man of considerable wealth, which he accumulated as a
result of his energy and thrift, and he is now living a retired life in
Louisville. He is an ardent Democrat and has been one all his life.
He has been a leader in the business life of Louisville for a great many
years, and was connected with the most worthy and prominent in-
dustrial and financial institutions of the city. He was one of the or-
ganizers of the Farmers and Merchants Bank, and is now vice-presi-
dent of that institution. His father was James McCollum, a native of
Kentucky, who came to Illinois in about 1830. He became the owner
of a tract of government land, which he improved, and on which he
passed the remainder of his life. When he passed away he was looked
upon as one of the wealthy farmers of his district. His father, Alex
McCollum, the great-grandfather of the subject of this review, was
one of the eight men killed at the battle of New Orleans. The mater-
nal grandfather of Harvey McCollum, Darling Long, was a native of
West Virginia. He came to Illinois in about 1853, settling in Clay
county, where he passed the remainder of his life.

Harvey D. McCollum was reared in Louisville, and he passed
through the schools of this city, after which he entered the University
of Illinois at Champaign, being graduated from that institution in
1901, from the law department. In the following year Mr. McCollum
was admitted to the bar, and he conducted his first law practice as the
partner of Judge Albert M. Rose. This partnership existed with all
satisfaction to both parties until the election of Mr. Rose to the circuit
bench in 1906, at which time Mr. McCollum became the partner of
John W. Thomason, another brilliant young attorney of Louisville.
For the past two years Mr. McCollum has conducted a private prac-



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1259

tice and in that, as with his partners, he has been particularly fortu-
nate and successful, his practice extending to all courts. In addition
to his legal interests, Mr. McCollum gives some time to the manage-
ment of the fine farm of which he is the owner, and which is an added
source of prosperity to the already independent young attorney. He
holds considerable stock in the Farmers and Merchants Bank, of which
his honored father is vice-president, and is connected with certain
other institutions of an industrial and financial character. He is an
enthusiastic Democrat, as is his father, and is untiring in his labors
for the good of the cause. Twice he has served terms as master in
chancery, and in 1909 he was elected to the state legislature. He is
local attorney for the Baltimore & Ohio and the Illinois Central Rail-
road Companies, and is justly regarded as being one of the leading
legal men in the county. He is a member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, of the Modern Woodmen, the Benevolent and Protect-
ive 'Order of Elks, the Masons and the Knights of Pythias.

HERMAN M. REA. There is no such word as luck in the lexicon of
business men, for experience has taught them most convincingly that
success is the result of persistent application of intelligent methods
that demand time for their development. To executive ability and
organizing sense must be added public confidence and a thorough
knowledge of the field to be occupied, which latter can only be gained
by gradual and steady approaches. Sudden acquisition of wealth is
a rare occurrence, and often followed by speedy and irremediable
collapse. In any event, none of the citizens of Christopher would in-
timate that Herman M. Rea owes his distinction to any adventitious
aid. His present enviable position is due to manly energy, sterling
honesty, inflexible sense of justice, tireless energy and intimate ac-
quaintance with business methods. He is a native of Franklin county,
Illinois, and was born five miles north of Christopher, September 25,
1877, a son of Frank G. and Bretana Elizabeth (Buckner) Rea.

The grandparents of Mr. Rea, Abner and Mary (Overturf) Rea, na-
tives of Tennessee, came to Illinois in early life, took up land from the
Government, and here spent the remainder of their lives. Mr. Rea
became one of the wealthiest agriculturists in Franklin county, and
before his death presented each of his children with a farm, in addi-
tion to a sum of money. Frank G. Rea, who for many years was en-
gaged in farming in Franklin county, and was also a successful mer-
chant of Christopher for fifteen years, is now living retired in this city.
He has had a prosperous career and the honorable lines along which he
conducted his business have served as an example for his son, who has
inherited many of his admirable traits.

Herman M. Rea received his educational training in the common
schools of Christopher, and as a youth worked in his father's store.
He then entered the postoffice at Zeigler, where he acted as clerk for
six months, and his first experience in the real estate field came as an
employe of Horn & Dimond, with whom he continued five years.
Since that time Mr. Rea has been in business with Jesse Dimond &
Company, a firm that does a tremendous business in real estate, buying
land all over the state, and in addition trades for stores and mines.
Mr. Rea is president of the Christopher Electric Company and of the
Horn-Dimond Coal Company, secretary of the Benton District Coal
Company and the West Frankfort Coal Company, vice-president of
the First National Bank of Christopher and a director of the First
National Bank of West Frandfort. Although immersed in business,
with so many large interests claiming his attention and demanding



1260 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

much of his time, Mr. Rea yet finds leisure to devote to those domestic
and social relations in which he finds his chief enjoyment. He is a
prominent member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Modern
Woodmen of America. A Republican in politics, the high esteem in
which he was held by his fellow townsmen resulted in his election as
collector of Tyron township, although at that time the district was
strongly Democratic. He has given the greater part of his time to his
business interests, however, and has never sought public preferment.

In 1894 Mr. Rea was married to Miss Ida Clark, daughter of Scott
Clark, an early settler and prominent agriculturist of Mulkeytown,
who also for some years was the proprietor of amusement enterprises
during season, and who died about 1903. Mr. and Mrs. Rea have six
children : Leo, Clyne and Thelma, all of whom are attending school ;
and Helen, Mildred and Mary, at home.

PHILIP B. LESEMANN, D. D. S. A representative member of the den-
tal fraternity in Nashville, one who holds high rank in his profession
and whose ability and courtesy have won him the confidence and pat-
ronage of a large class of citizens, is Dr. Philip B. Lesemann. He
comes of a pioneer German family whose identity with the United
States dates from 1844, when its founders immigrated from the vil-
lage of Bergkirche, Prussia, and established themselves in Washington
county, Illinois. That historic year of the Mississippi flood Henry
Lesemann expatriated himself from his native land and brought his
family to the New World. His father was then an old man, and the
family settlement was made some six miles northeast of Nashville,
where, upon the Henry Huck farm, the father and mother and other
members of the family lie buried. Henry's first wife died in young
womanhood and his second one died about four years after their ar-
rival in Illinois. Farming claimed Henry Lesemann after he came to
the United States, but in his native Prussia he was a cabinet-maker
and fashioned and finished spinning wheels. The children by his last
marriage were : Louisa, who married Louis Wehking and both are de-
ceased ; Frederick, the father of the Doctor ; Christiana, who married
William Schlake, both being now deceased ; and Ernst. He was a the-
ological student in Boston when he died. The children of Henry 's first
wife were "William, of Kinmundy, Illinois; and Mrs. Henry Steffen,
who is deceased.

Frederick Lesemann was born in 1838, and passed an uneventful
life in the country near Nashville. Toward the evening of life he
moved into the county seat and died there in 1903. He married (first)
Louisa Grote, who died, the mother of Augusta, who passed away as
Mrs. Fred Hoffman ; and Matilda, now Mrs. Charles Millier, of Gran-
ite City, Illinois. For his second wife Mr. Lesemann married Matilda
Poehler, who still survives, and the issue of this marriage were Rev.
Louis, a graduate of Central Wesleyan College, at Warrenton, Mis-
souri, and a degree man of the Biblical Institute of the Northwestern
University, is a Methodist minister of Chicago, and married Miss
Eleanor Tieman ; Dr. Philip B., of Nashville ; Samuel J., D. D. S., of
Altamont, Illinois, and a graduate of the Louisville College of Den-
tistry ; Amelia, the wife of Albert Lyons, of Granite City, Illinois ; and
Dr. Frederick J., a physician of Chicago, who is a graduate of Rush
Medical College.

Dr. Philip B. Lesemann was born in a country home near Nashville,
August 1, 1871. While coming to mature years he had both rural and
urban experience and his career in school was passed chiefly in the
county seat. At twenty years of age he began his preparation for



" - "*



HE



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1261

dentistry as a student in the Louisville College of Dentistry and took
his diploma from that institution in June, 1895. He opened his office
in Nashville the same year and his citizenship has been maintained
here since. He is a member of the State Dental Society and is ex-
president of the St. Glair District Dental Society. He is secretary and
treasurer of the Bridget Hughes Hospital of Nashville, and has de-
voted his energy and his skill to the achievement of desirable results
in his profession. He is in close touch with advanced thought, keeps
thoroughly abreast of the advances made in dentistry, and has se-
cured a practice of unmistakably representative character.

On June 26, 1895, Dr. Lesemann was married to Miss Anna Franz-



Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 27 of 98)