Copyright
George Washington Smith.

A history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) online

. (page 38 of 98)
Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 38 of 98)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


these have chosen as their field the villages and cities adjacent to agri-
cultural centers, knowing that their early experience would stand them
in good stead in choosing the goods most acceptable to their trade, and
no exception to this rule is found in the case of Daniel J. Bradley, a
prominent business citizen of Elkville. whose career furnishes an ex-
cellent example of successful farmer turned more successful merchant.



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1327

He was born January 12, 1865, at Tamaroa, Illinois, and is a son of
Michael and Ellen (Linnehan) Bradley, natives of Ireland.

Michael Bradley was born in 1820, and in his native country re-
ceived educational training that fitted him for a school teacher, an oc-
cupation which he followed until coming to the United States in 1848.
He located at Tamaroa, and during the rest of his active career fol-
lowed agricultural pursuits, although on various occasions he engaged
in the work with which he had first identified himself. He was an ac-
tive adherent of Democratic principles, and a faithful member of the
Catholic church, in the firm belief of which he died in 1909. In 1850
he was married to Miss Ellen Linnehan, and they had a family of nine
children, Daniel J. being the next to the youngest. Mrs. Bradley is
still living and makes her home at Elkville.

Daniel J. Bradley spent his early life much the same as other
farmers' sons, attending public school when he could be spared from
the duties of the home place, and being taught every detail that would
enable him to successfully follow an agricultural career. However, the
youth had an ambition to enter merchandising, and at the age of twenty-
three years secured a position as a clerk in a general store. During the
years that followed he applied himself assiduously to acquiring a capital
with which to establish himself in business as a merchant, and in 1903
embarked as the proprietor of a general store at Elkville. His subse-
quent success has been such as to place him among the substantial men
of his community, and his reputation is that of a man of sterling busi-
ness integrity and one who has aided in developing the interests of his
adopted village while advancing the scope of his own affairs. From a
small beginning he has built up a trade that covers the territory for a
number of miles surrounding Elkville, and he now has a stock of ten
thousand dollars, the largest in this part of the county. In political
matters, like his father, he is a Democrat, and the confidence and esteem
in which he is universally held by his fellow.townsmen has been made
manifest by his election to the office of township treasurer. He is a
member of the Red Men and keeper of the wampum in the local lodge,
and also holds membership in the Catholic Knights of Columbus.

In 1896 Mr. Bradley was married to Miss Ellen Redden, of Johnson
county, daughter of Patrick Redden, a railroad man. Two children have
been born to them : J. Paul and R. "Welden. The family is connected
with the 'Catholic church.

AUSTIN IRVIN BROWN, M. D. The physician occupies one of the
most responsible as well as confidential relations in our social existence.
To him are intrusted our innermost secrets, as well as the lives and
welfare of our dearest friends. To worthily and acceptably fill such
a position is one of the most difficult tasks ever imposed on man, and
such a task has been assumed by Austin Irvin Brown, who has had a
long and varied experience. Gifted with a love for his chosen pro-
fession, quick of intuition, and generous and sympathetic in his work,
he has won the respect and esteem of the people of Vienna, Illinois, his
chosen field of practice. Dr. Brown was born on a farm near Bun-
combe, seven miles west of Vienna, in Johnson county, Illinois, March
16, 1858, and is a son of R. W. and Mary A. (Peterson) Brown.

Richard Brown, the grandfather of Dr. Brown, was a native of
Tennessee and a pioneer settler of Southern Illinois, settling in Massac
county, near Metropolis, in the early '40s. His son, R. W., also born
in Tennessee, was a lad when the family came to Illinois, and here he
learned the trade of carpenter, which he followed at Anna for a few
years previous to settling on a farm near Buncombe, Johnson county.



1828 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

Later he bought another tract of land, one and one-half miles west of
Vienna, and there continued to engage in agricultural pursuits until
his death in 1899. Early in life he was united in marriage with Mary
A. Peterson, who was born in 1834, at West Eden, daughter of Owen
and granddaughter of Thomas Peterson, natives of Tennessee, and she
died in March, 1910. Mr. and Mrs. Brown had six children, as fol-
lows: Mrs. Ellen Thacker, George W., Olive (deceased), Owen P.,
Albert (who died in infancy), and Austin Irvin.

Austin Irvin Brown received his primary education in the district
schools, and later attended select schools in Vienna, taught by Pro-
fessor W. Y. Smith and Joseph W. Smith. Beginning in 1887, he
taught school for three years, and in the meantime, in 1889, began
the study of medicine. In 1890 he entered the P. M. College, in In-
dianapolis, which he attended for one term, and then, after passing
the examinations of the State Medical Board of Arkansas, he practiced
medicine in that state for a period of six months during 1891. In the
fall of that year he entered Marion Sims College of Medicine, at St.
Louis, and by pursuing his studies during an extended term of seven
and one-half months, in order to meet the requirements of the State
Medical Board, he graduated in the spring of 1892, with the degree
of M. D. Locating at Belknap, Johnson .county, he practiced medicine
successfully until 1900, and then after a three months' stay in Cairo,
in partnership with Dr. Hall Whiteaker, he established himself in
Vienna. Dr. Whiteaker subsequently located in Mound City, and since
that time Dr. Brown has been in charge of a constantly increasing
clientele. He is progressive in his ideas and is constantly seeking to
advance himself in his profession, having taken three post-graduate
courses during his professional experience. In 1899 he took a course
in the Chicago Polyclinic Institute ; in 1906 he pursued a post-grad-
uate course in the New York Polyclinic, and in 1909, took another
course in the Chicago school. Dr. Brown is an active member of the
Egyptian Medical Association, comprising the physicians of Johnson,
Williamson, Massac and Pope counties, and has served as president of
this society for two terms. He is also a member of the Illinois State
and American Medical Associations. His fraternal connections are
with the A. P. & A. M., Blue Lodge, of Vienna; Royal Arch, of
Vienna; Knights Templar, of Cairo; the Modern Woodmen; the
Royal Neighbors; the Eastern Star; the Odd Fellows; the Rebekahs
and the Modern Brotherhood of America, all of Vienna, His religious
belief is that of the Methodist Episcopal church, and both he and his
wife have shown much interest in religious and charitable work.

In 1889 Dr. Brown was married to Geneva Whiteaker, a daughter
of Captain Mark and Elizabeth (Denton) Whiteaker, of Vienna, and
they have two children: Essie, who is twenty-one years old, and
Charles R., thirteen years of age. More extended mention of Captain
and Mrs. Whiteaker, both of whom belong to the old families of South-
ern Illinois, appears on other pages.

Dr. Brown is a man who may be said to have chosen well. Pos-
sessed of a kind, sympathetic nature, a keen sense of discrimination, a
natural taste for the various branches of the medical profession, he has
made a signal success.

4

CAPTAIN MARK WHITEAKER, a prominent and highly respected
citizen of Johnson county and a veteran of the Civil war, now retired
after a busy life devoted to agriculture and public service, is the scion
of one of the oldest families of Southern Illinois. His birth occurred
on the 28th day of March, 1833, on a farm in the southwestern corner



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1329

of Williamson county, his parents being Hall and Elvira (Hall)
Whiteaker, natives of Tennessee. Hall Whiteaker was the son of
Mark Whiteaker, who came to Southern Illinois among the earliest
pioneers, but who lost his life shortly after his arrival, in 1818.

Mark Whiteaker was reared upon the farm, receiving a practical
training in its many departments and receiving his introduction to the
"Three R's" behind a desk in the district school-room. He enlisted in
Company G, of the One Hundred and Twentieth Regiment, Illinois
Volunteer Infantry, at the outbreak of the Civil war. He took the
initiative in the organization of the company in Johnson county and
received the rank of captain. He was in service nearly one year, but
was mustered out in June, 1863, on account of disability. He served
in and around Memphis and did scout duty in Arkansas, Mississippi
and Tennessee. In May 1862, he went to Vicksburg, but soon returned
to Memphis and was quartered at Fort Pickering. Two brothers, Will-
iam H. and John A., were in the same regiment and engaged in Gen-
eral Forrest's raid.

Captain Whiteaker was not the first of his family to come to the
defense of the country in its hour of need, his maternal grandfather,
John Dameron, having served in the Revolutionary war. John Dam-
eron, who was English by birth, was one of the first pioneers of Burn-
side township, Johnson county.

When Captain Whiteaker was twenty-five years of age he purchased
forty acres of land in Burnside township, one mile west of New Burn-
side. Not long afterward he bought twenty acres more and later one
hundred and twenty, making in all a good sized farm of one
hundred and eighty acres. Upon this he resided from his marriage in
1860 until 1882. In that year he was elected sheriff, and rented a
farm one mile north of Vienna and lived there during his term of
sheriff, which lasted until 1886. He then bought the one hundred and
sixty acre farm which he had been renting and upon this made his
residence until 1902, when he sold it and bought forty acres in Bloom-
field township, where he lived until 1907. With the competence won
by many years of diligence and thrift, he decided to retire from the
more strenuous duties of life, and disposing of his farm land, removed"
to Vienna, where he now lives, secure in the high regard of all who-
know him.

Captain Whiteaker has made a good record as a public official,
always serving with credit to himself and profit to his constituents.
He was a county commissioner, or member of the county court, from
1864 to 1868; he served a four year term as constable of Burnside
township ; was twelve years justice of the peace in the same township
and held the same office" in Vienna township for four years. For the
past two years he has been police magistrate. In all the length and
breadth of Johnson county it is safe to say no one is better or more
favorably known than this venerable and public-spirited citizen. He
has ever given heart and hand to the men and measure of the Republi-
can party and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Fra-
ternally he is a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows.

Captain Whiteaker was happily married October 24, 1860, to Eliza-
beth Deaton, daughter of William and Martha Beaton, natives of Ala-
bama, who located in Southern Illinois at an early date.

Captain and Mrs. Whiteaker became the parents of eleven children,
two of whom died when young and the following being an enumeration
of the number: Arista Ann (McElroy) ; Martha Elvira (Burris) ;
Geneva A. (Brown); Dr. Hall Whiteaker, Jr.; William J. ; Thomas



1330 HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

H., who lost his life on the Illinois Central Railroad; Charles Franklin,
deceased; Elizabeth (Mathis) ; and Daisy Gertrude (Compton.)

HARL L. GEE, M. D. In thirteen years devoted to the practice of
medicine in southern Illinois Dr. Gee has made rapid strides in the
profession of his choice, and is openly recognized as one of the leaders
in that profession in this section of the state. As a physician Dr. Gee
enjoys the confidence and esteem of a wide circle of patrons, drawing
his clientele from all walks in life ; while as a man his position is no less
secure in the hearts of all who have come in contact with him.

Born March 25, 1874, in Jefferson county, Harl L. Gee is the son of
Isaac G. Gee, M. D., and the great-grandson of John Sandford Gee, an
early pioneer of Jefferson county. John Sandford Gee was born on Janu-
ary 10, 1777, in Virginia. He married Susan Tudor in 1798, and, cross-
ing the mountains in 1803, they settled in Metcalf county, where he
entered land from the government and engaged in farming, his oper-
ations in that line being rewarded with a fair degree of success. He
also conducted a surveying business as a further means of livelihood,
and was regarded as one of the important pioneers of his time in that
section of the country. He left one son, William Gee, born October
16, 1810, in the old Kentucky home, who in his early manhood married
Malinda Billingsby, the marriage occurring in 1837. They were the
parents of five sons. They were: John A., now of Tamaroa, Illinois;
I. G., the father of Dr. Harl L. Gee ; W. S., of Tarkio, Missouri ; M. D.,
of Mountain Grove, Missouri; and Henry M., now deceased. In
October, 1852, William Gee moved to Illinois and settled in Perry
county. In 1883 he went to Nebraska, but returned to Illinois in 1886.
He and his wife were members of the old Paradise Baptist church in
Perry county for more than forty-eight years, and in dying left the
noble heritage of beautiful lives well spent in the care and nurture of
a family of sons who have reflected credit on a good old name.

Isaac G. Gee, the father of Dr. Harl L. Gee, was born in Simpson
county, Kentucky, September 19, 1841, and when his parents moved
to Illinois he was eleven years of age. He worked on the home farm
as a boy and as he advanced in years taught in the district schools
while in his 'teens. His ambition to enter the medical profession was
deep-seated, and no slight difficulties were sufficient to deter him from
his long cherished purpose. He entered the Eclectic Medical Institute
of Cincinnati and was graduated from that institution in 1865, begin-
ning the practice of medicine at Fitzgerald, in Jefferson county. In
1892 Dr. Gee settled in Mount Vernon, since when he has retired from
the activities of professional life and lives in the quiet of a semi-retired
life. He has many business interests which demand his attention and
which constitute a sufficient occupation for a man of his years. Dr.
Gee is a director of the Third National Bank, president of the Walton-
ville Bank and a stockholder in the Mount Vernon Car Manufacturing
Company. He has been president of the Royal Building & Loan Com-
pany, and has served as alderman and supervisor of Mount Vernon
township. He is a member of the First Baptist church of Mount Ver-
non and is a member of the blue lodge, Royal Arch and Knights Temp-
lar in Masonry.

On December 26, 1867, Dr. Gee was married to Elzina J., daughter
of J. J. Fitzgerald, a native of Indiana. Five children have been born
to them: James William, deceased; John Stanton, deceased; Harl L.,
of Mount Vernon; Earl, who died at the age of six years; and Knox,
cashier of Waltonville Bank.

Dr. Harl L. Gee was educated in the Mount Vernon public schools



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1331

and in Shurtleff College. He later entered the medical department of
the Northwestern University at Chicago in the fall of 1894, studying
there for three years. He then matriculated in the Washington Uni-
versity of St. Louis, graduating therefrom in 1898, with his medical
degree of M. D. Dr. Gee began the practice of medicine in Mount Ver-
non, and is fast forging to the front in the ranks of his profession in
Southern Illinois. His consulting room is a part of the finely ap-
pointed suite of rooms maintained by six prominent physicians of
Mount Vernon, and known as the Hospital Consultation Rooms. For
over thirteen years Dr. Gee has been intimately associated with Dr.
Moss Maxey of the Egyptian Hospital, in both a professional and fra-
ternal way, through which time the association has endured without a
rupture. Dr. Gee is a member of the Jefferson County, Illinois State
and American Medical Associations, and is active and prominent in
all three. In a fraternal way he is affiliated with the Knights Templar,
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Knights of Pythias, and a
member of the Baptist church, in which religious denomination his fore-
bears held membership for many previous generations.

On November 2, 1899, Dr. Gee was united in marriage with Nebraska
Evans, daughter of George "W. Evans, who conducted a private bank
in Mount Vernon for many years, which was finally merged with the
Third National Bank by purchase. Dr. and Mrs. Gee have one child,
Martha Evans, now five years of age.

EUGENE M. DAKE. A man of energy and ability, with an aptitude
for work, Eugene M. Dare is a worthy representative of the successful
business men of Bonnie, where he is favorably known as cashier of the
Bonnie Bank, which was organized in 1910 by Mount Vernon and Bon-
nie capitalists, the local men having been Isaac Hicks, A. N. Hicks, T.
M. Hughey, J. H. Crosno and Eugene M. Dare. J. H. Crosno was the
first president of the institution, and was succeeded by Albert Watson,
who is now serving in that capacity. The other men interested in the
founding of the bank were Louis Pavey, of the Home National Bank,
Dr. J. T. Whitlock, Burrell Hawkins, circuit clerk and recorded, all of
Mount Vernon, and Dan G. Fitzgerald, cashier of the Ewing Bank.
The Bonnie Bank is in a most excellent condition, its business having
doubled within the past year. In 1911 the stockholders erected the
modernly equipped building in which the bank is now housed, the cost
amounting to $3,000.00, one of its important features being a fireproof
vault, which is greatly appreciated by the home people and by the rural
population. The bank is patronized by every business man in Bonnie,
and by all the farmers in the surrounding country, it being of great
benefit and much convenience to the community.

A son of Thomas W. Dare, Eugene M. Dare was born August 21,
1873, on a farm in* Jefferson county, Illinois. His grandfather, John
Dare, came from Tennessee to Illinois in pioneer days with his father,
John Dare, and filed on government land in Jefferson county. He was
exceedingly prosperous as an agriculturist, at one time being the largest
landholder in Elk Prairie township, where he settled with his brothers,
Hubbard and James. Hubbard Dare was active in public affairs, and
it is said was the first Republican voter of that township.

Thomas W. Dare was born on the home farm in Jefferson county,
and early selected farming as his life occupation. He acquired title to
much land, and carried on general farming with undisputed success for
many years, but is now living retired from active pursuits, his home
being in Bonnie. He was born in 1846, and although young when the
Civil war broke out enlisted as a soldier in Company D, Illinois Volun-



1332 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

teer Infantry, in which he served faithfully ninety days. He married
Avaline Boswell, a daughter of Isaac Boswell, of Jefferson county. She
died in 1896, leaving three children, namely : Eugene M. ; Guy, of Bon-
nie ; and Mrs. Margaret Shelton, of Watsonville. He married for his
second wife Affy R. Mason, and of this union two children have been
born, but only one is living, Ernest Dare.

Gleaning his first knowledge of the common branches of study in
the district schools, Eugene M. Dare subsequently attended the Southern
Illinois Normal University and the Mount Vernon Business College.
When but twenty years old he embarked in educational work, and for
twelve years taught school, spending four years of the time as a teacher
in Bonnie, the remaining eight years being passed in three other schools.
Mr. Dare was afterwards tie and lumber inspector for the Chicago and
Eastern Illinois Railroad Company for a year, and the ensuing four
years was engaged in farming. In April, 1910, he accepted his present
position as cashier. of the Bonnie Bank, and is filling the office in a very
acceptable manner. Mr. Dare also conducts an insurance business, and
is financially interested in the Bonnie Creamery Company, incor-
porated.

Mr. Dare married, November 12, 1895, Lucy Puckett, daughter of
Thomas Puckett, and of their union seven children have been born, but
only two are living, Jewell, born June 18, 1907, and Eugene M., Jr.,
born February 5, 1911. Fraternally Mr. Dare is a member of Allen
Lodge, No. 904, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Bonnie.

HENRY L. DAVIS, M. D. The multiplicity of experiences of Dr.
Davis which interspersed the years covered by his medical training from
an especially interesting attribute to his life, and in divers ways add
to his many qualifications as a competent practicing physician and
surgeon. His two years of army service as a nurse in the Philippines
after a brief medical course was wonderfully rich in life's experiences,
and serves as a most valuable adjunct to his regular medical training.
Since his degree was awarded to him in 1906 Dr. Davis has been active
in the practice of his profession, and in the years which have elapsed
since then he has accomplished much from a humanitarian point of view,
as well as winning to himself a pleasing reputation in a professional way.
Henry L. Davis, M. D., was born on December 11, 1878, in Anna,
Union county, Illinois. He is the son of Stephen M. Davis, born 1843,
and who died in 1899, a native of Union county, Illinois, and the son of
Reverend Levi Davis, also a native of Union county. For sixty years
Reverend Levi Davis was an able expounder of the faith of the Cumber-
land Presbyterian church in Southern Illinois, and when he passed away
he left the rich and undying heritage of a life of well spent endeavor
in a worthy cause, and of good he was able to do among the people for
whom he labored no reasonable estimate can be made. He was the son
of Thomas Davis, who immigrated from Wales, and represented a family
which, since its foundation, has been known by its good works.

Stephen M. Davis, the son of Rev. Levi Davis and grandson of
Thomas Davis, who founded the family in America, married Amanda
Day, a native of Cumberland county, Tennessee, who moved to Union
county, Illinois, when she was ten years of age, in company with her
brother, Henry Day, in 1857. Mr. and Mrs. Davis were the parents of
ten children, of whom three sons and five daughters are now living.
They are: William, H., a practicing physician of Castle, Oklahoma;
Virgil B., an attorney of note in Indianapolis; Etta H., in Okemah,
Oklahoma; Henry L., of Mount Vernon; Mrs. Alice H. Williams, living
in St. Louis, Missouri; Lulu May, who died at the tender age of two



OF THE

0? 1LJKJ3



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1333

years; Mrs. Cora B. Davis, living in Murphysboro ; Martha E., of the
same place; Mrs. Eunice A. Huck, living in lola, Kansas; and Stephen
M., who died in infancy.

Henry L. Davis was educated in the common schools of Union county,
the Dexter, Missouri, high school and the Illinois Normal University at
Carbondale. On May 28, 1898, when he was but twenty years of age,
he enlisted in Company I of the Sixteenth United States Infantry for
service in the Spanish-American war. He was sent with his regiment
to Santiago de Cuba, where they were in service one month and returned
to Montauk Point, New York. From there they were sent to Huntsville,
Alabama, and discharged under the act of Congress of 1899. On his
return home he attended the Southern Illinois Normal during the winter
and spring term which ended in July of 1900. He then enlisted in the
hospital corps of the United States Army, his former experience in the
army having been 'sufficient to whet his appetite for larger accomplish-
ments, and was sent to Manila, where he served two years as a nurse,
and returned to his home in August, 1902, after having circumnavigated
the globe in the two years of his absence. His taste for foreign travel
appeased, the young man once more entered the medical department of
St. Louis University in the fall of 1902, and was graduated therefrom in
May, 1906, receiving his degree of M. D. Dr. Davis immediately began
the practice of medicine in Carbondale, remaining there until August 1,
1907. He next located in Herrin, where he remained from August 10,



Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 38 of 98)