Copyright
George Washington Smith.

A history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) online

. (page 40 of 98)
Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 40 of 98)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


being and it is perhaps the knowledge of this kindly trait that makes
him so popular throughout the county.

William S. Payne was born in a big old farm house on the 9th of
November, 1867. The house of his birth was situated in Shiloh town-
ship. Jefferson county, and his parents were Joseph T. Payne and
Monica (Hutchinson) Payne. Joseph T. Payne was born in 1846. and
was raised in the section where he first saw the sunlight, namely. Shiloh
township. His father, Joseph Payne, was a native of Tennessee, but
spent most of his long life in Shiloh township, dying at 'the age of



HISTOKY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1341

eighty. Joseph T. Payne devoted himself to agricultural pursuits dur-
ing many years of his life. But this was only a side issue, for he felt
that his real work was in his service as a Baptist minister, and all of his
life he has labored for the betterment of humanity and the improve-
ment of the conditions under which we live. He is now retired and is
living quietly at home on the old farm, but his influence, though no
longer an active one, is still strongly felt and the memory of words he
has spoken are treasured up in many hearts. His gift of eloquence was
of great service to him when he was elected to the state senate as a mem-
ber from the forty-sixth senatorial district, and he gave efficient service
to his constituents during his term of four years.

William S. Payne is the eldest of fourteen children, eleven of whom
are living. Besides William these are James H. ; Ella, who is Mrs. Wat-
kins, wife of the cashier of the bank at Woodlawn ; Lawrence, who is a
farmer; Alpha (Webb), who married a farmer; Hattie (Alvis), the wife
of one of the principals of the city schools of Cairo, Illinois ; Joseph H.
and Arthur, both farmers ; Gleason ; Edith, a teacher in the Mount Ver-
non schools ; and Gincie, as yet a student in the township high school.

William S. Payne was reared on the farm and brought up to realize
that the simplest joys in life are the hardest to get and the easiest to lose,
and that the possession of these are what brings the most happiness, con-
sequently he has never hungered for the possessions of a millionaire or
the evanescent joys of life in a big city. He received a liberal educa-
tion in the schools of the district, but being the oldest in his family his
help was too valuable to permit him to leave home and take work in any
higher institutions of learning, so he remained at home and helped his
father until he was twenty-five, when he began to farm for himself. He
purchased a farm of a hundred and forty acres, which he still owns and
operates. He lived on the farm until 1906, when he removed to Mount
Vernon.

In politics Mr. Payne has always been an enthusiast, his affiliations
being with the Democrats. His election to his present office took place
in November, 1910, and the term for which he was elected is one of four
years. Fraternally Mr. Payne is a member of the Odd Fellows and of
the Red Men of Mount Vernon. With the father that Mr. Payne has
it is small wonder that he is an active member of the church to which he
belongs, namely, the First Baptist church of Mount Vernon. He is a
regular attendent, at both the church services and at Sunday-school,
and is one of the deacons, taking much of the responsibility of the finan-
cial affairs of the church upon his shoulders.

Mr. Payne was married on the 16th of November, 1892, to Miss
Minnie Jones, the daughter of S. W. Jones. Mr. Jones was one of the
oldest pioneers in Jefferson county, and met a sad death in an accident
on the railroad in September of 1906. Mr. and Mrs. Payne have had
three children, two of whom died in infancy, leaving Howard, a bright
little chap of seven years, his birthday being on the 20th of November,
1904.

DANIEL G. FITZGERBELL. One of the most prominent men of this
part of Southern Illinois is Daniel G. Fitzgerrell, banker, large land
owner and leading Mason. He is connected with no less than three of
the substantial monetary institutions of this section, namely : the private
bank of Watson, Fitzgerrell & Company, which he assisted in organizing
and of which he is cashier; the First National Bank of Sesser, Illinois;
and the Bank of Bonnie, Illinois. Of calm, sane and judicious char-
acter, and even more careful of the interests of others than his own, he
is of the best possible material for a financier and the county is indeed

Vol. Ill 17



1342 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

fortunate in possessing one of his calibre in a position of such im-
portance. Mr. Fitzgerrell is a man of property and has eloquently
manifested his confidence in the present and future prosperity of this
part of the state by making himself the possessor of several hundred
acres of land located in Franklin, Jefferson and Gallatin counties.
Among his other interests he deals extensively in stock.

Mr. Fitzgerrell is a native son of Jefferson county, his birth having
occurred within its boundaries February 10, 1869. He is the descendant
of James J. Fitzgerrell, who removed from Indiana to Illinois when a
young man, where he became a farmer and passed the remainder of his
days. His maternal grandfather also lived in Franklin county for a
number of years, having come there as one of the early settlers. All of
Mr. Fitzgerrell 'a forebears gave hand and heart to the men and measures
of the Democratic party. His father and mother were James J. and
Sarah (Whitlow) Fitzgerrell, the birth of the former having occurred
near Richmond, Virginia, and that of the latter in Franklin county,
near Ewing. The mother, whose demise occurred in 1903, and who was
a member of the Missionary Baptist church, was the father's second
wife, the death of his first wife, whose name was Patsy Ann Martin,
having occurred in 1861. Evan Fitzgerrell, a leading citizen of Ben-
ton, is a son of the previous marriage. The father's death was in 1889,
and he is remembered as one of the most successful farmers and stock-
raisers in the history of Jefferson county. He eventually became the
owner of a large tract of land. He was a Mason and an active member
of the Missionary Baptist church and all good causes were sure of his
support.

Mr. Fitzgerrell received a good education, and after leaving his desk
in the public school room became a student in Ewing College, from
which he was eventually graduated. His first experience as a wage-
earner was in the capacity of a bookkeeper at Marion, which position
he held for one year. He then embarked in business on his own account,
choosing the hardware field. After a time in this occupation he accepted
the position of deputy postmaster at Mount Vernon, which he held for
three years. After that he traveled extensively as salesman. In 1903
he entered upon his career as a banker, in which he has been eminently
successful, and in which he has displayed ability of a high order. In
that year he organized the private bank of Watson, Fitzgerrell & Com-
pany, and in the division of offices himself assumed that of cashier.
This bank has a large capital stock and is conducted upon the securest
and most admirable principles. Mr. Fitzgerrell is a man of wealth,
the nucleus of his fortunes having been a heritage left to him by his
father.

On May 25, 1887, Mr. Fitzgerrell was happily married to Pauline
Goddard, daughter of Monroe Goddard. an early settler of Williamson
county, her grandfather having brought his family here as one of the
earliest of the pioneers. He was a merchant and played a prominent
and praiseworthy part in the many-sided life of his community, leav-
ing behind him for generations to come an example worthy of emulation.
Mr. and Mrs. Fitzgerrell have reared a family of three children, all
promising young citizens. Monroe G. is his father's assistant in the
bank ; Jack A. is a student in Ewing College ; and Mary K. is pursuing
her public school studies.

Mr. and Mrs. Fitzgerrell are valued members of the Methodist
Episcopal church and the former is a widely known Mason, belonging
to Ewing lodge, No. 705; H. W. Hubbard Chapter, No. 160, Mount
Vernon; and the Knights Templar, No. 64. Mount Vernon. He is the
district grand deputy of the Forty-fifth Masonic district and is also



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1343

grand lecturer of the state of Illinois. He is now master of the Masonic
lodge at Ewing and has held that office for five years. In the ancient
and august order he is held in high esteem and affection and successfully
lives up to its high ideals. In his political faith he subscribes to the
tenets of the Democratic party, in whose wisdom his father believed.

DR. LEWIS C. MORGAN. A man prominent in the social, professional
and business circles of Southern Illinois is Dr. Lewis C. Morgan, of
Mount Vernon. While devoting himself heart and soul to the practice
of his profession, yet he manages to . find the time to devote to other
things and in this way has prevented himself from growing narrow
minded and out of step with the world, as do so many men whose lives
are given to scientific pursuits. He has been closely connected with
various financial institutions, and has endeavored to take his share of his
responsibilities as a citizen. So highly thought of is his capacity along
such lines that his fellow citizens elected him as mayor, and never were
they better satisfied with their choice.

Dr. Lewis C. Morgan was born in Hamilton county, Illinois, near
the present thriving town of Dahlgren. He was the son of Phillip W.
Morgan, who, as might easily be guessed from his name, was a native of
the Blue Grass state. Phillip Morgan was born in 1832 and spent his boy-
hood on the farm upon which his father had settled on his migration from
Virginia, which was the original home of the Morgan family in America.
In 1840 Phillip Morgan settled in Hamilton county, where he speedily be-
came a successful farmer and prominent citizen. He was one of the first
county commissioners, serving in this capacity before the county went into
township organization. He was known everywhere as Judge Morgan,
which is significant of the respect and love which his neighbors felt
for him, for a man must be above the average in order to win one of
these honorary titles from a community. His wife was Harriet Damon,
who was born in Massachusetts in the town of Athens. She was the
daughter of Owen L. Damon, who was one of the early comers to Illi-
nois, settling in Hamilton county in the forties. A number of children
were born to this couple, Mary, now Mrs. Riddle, of St. Louis; Anna
(Irwin), who lives in Dahlgren; Dr. Lewis; W. G., who makes his home
in St. Louis; Nora N., who is now Mrs. Grigg and lives in Mount Ver-
non ; Owen L., who is the general manager of a large wholesale house
in Marion; and Alice, Mrs. Wigginton, of Mount Vernon.

Lewis C. Morgan was educated in the common schools of his home
county, and when he became old enough to go to college he felt that
since his father had a large family and about all he could do to sup-
port and clothe and educate the rest, he would get his further education
by his own efforts, for he was determined that he would go through
college. Consequently when he was eighteen he began teaching school.
For five years he kept this up, teaching through the long, cold winters
for the sake of the all too brief period of happiness which he found
every summer in poring over his books in Ewing College. By this
time he had decided what should be his vocation, and so, in 1884, entered
the Hospital Medical College at Evansville, Indiana, graduating from
this institution on the 4th of March, 1886.

His professional career was opened in Dahlgren, Illinois, where
he practiced medicine from March, 1886, until September, 1905, at
which time he removed to Mount Vernon. He has been uniformly suc-
cessful in his practice, and is fitted through the strength of his person-
ality, his coolness and perfect self control for the profession which he
has chosen.

He was an important factor in the formation of some of Dahlgren 's



1344 HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

most prosperous institutions, being a leader in the movement to organize
the First National Bank of Dahlgren. When he moved to Mount
Vernon he did not allow his interest in such matters to flag but became
interested in the affairs of the Jefferson State Bank, and at present
is a director in that institution.

Politics always came in for a large share of Dr. Morgan's attention,
for he felt that there was not enough thought taken in such matters by
the better educated classes, and that this attitude of indifference was
harmful to the country. He is a Republican by creed, and his term
as mayor extended from April, 1909, to April, 1911. He also acted
as president of the city board of Dahlgren. The deep insight which
he gains into human nature through the daily practice of his profession
has deepened in his own heart that regard for fraternity which finds
its best expression outside of the churches in some of the fraternal
orders, consequently he is very active in their behalf. He is a member
of the Masonic order, of the Blue lodge, of the chapter and the com-
mandery of Mount Vernon. He likewise belongs to the order of Elks
and to the Odd Fellows of Mount Vernon. Along professional lines
he is affiliated with a number of medical societies, being a member of
the Jefferson County Medical Society, of the Southern Illinois Medical
Association, of the Illinois State Medical Association and of the Amer-
ican Medical Association. Through his membership with these societies
and by constant reading and study Dr. Morgan endeavors to keep
abreast of the time as regards his own profession.

He was married on the 12th of March, 1883, to Jennis Brumbaugh,
who was born in Hamilton county. She is the daughter of Dr. A. M.
Brumbaugh, of this county. Three children have been born to Dr.
Morgan and his wife ; Delia, who is the wife of W. P. Wood, and has
one child, Vermadell; Chloe, who is a student in Belmont College, at
Nashville, Tennessee; and Paul W., who is attending Brawn's Business
College at Marion, Illinois.

WILLIAM E. HAREELD. Prominent among the wealthy men of Union
county who have added very materially to their store of this world's
goods through the fruit growing industry is William E. Harreld, a resi-
dent of Alto Pass for the past quarter of a century, and engaged there,
first in a mercantile way, carrying on the business his father established
in former years, and later in the brokerage and fruit growing business,-
with which he is now identified.

William E. Harreld was born February 16, 1863, on a farm in Jack-
son county. His father, Cyrus Harreld, also born and reared in Jack-
son county, was the son of James Harreld, who migrated to Jackson
county in 1817. The state of Illinois was then in a most primitive state,
and offered many opportunities to the far sighted pioneer. James Har-
reld entered upon government land under the homestead laws, and
further engaged in buying and selling farming and other lands then to
be had for a mere pittance. He also engaged in the merchandising busi-
ness and carried on a lucrative trading business. He died in 1844, while
building a steamboat convoy on Big Muddy river, leaving a family. The
Harreld family was of a somewhat warlike tendency in its earlier
history, the ancestors of James Harreld having fought in the Revolu-
tionary war, five of his great uncles having fallen at Kings Mountain.
He, himself, was a first lieutenant in Captain Jenkins company in the
Black Hawk war in 1832. After his father's death, Cyrus Harreld con-
tinued to reside on the old homestead until 1851, at which time he
opened a store in the vicinity. In 1860 he went to Carbondale and en-
gaged in the mercantile business there for a period of eighteen months.






HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1345

In 1872 he again ventured out in that line of business and^ continued so
for six years. In May, 1883, he bought a store and business in Alto
Pass, and there he remained until the end of his life. The business pros-
pered, and he became a comparatively wealthy man. He owned two
thousand acres of f arm lands in Jackson and Union counties, in- addition
to the business in Alto Pass and other holdings in that city. In 1857
Cyrus Harreld married Miss Amelia Tuttle, a daughter of Matthew
Tuttle, a native Pennsylvanian. Three children were born to them:
James, William and Cora.

When Cyrus Harreld died in October, 1902, his son William E. suc-
ceeded to the mercantile business in Palo Alto, and for fifteen years he
conducted it successfully, after which time he sold out the place and
engaged in the brokerage business. For the past two years he has
bought and shipped fruit in Utah and other western points. His brok-
erage business will exceed $15,000, in addition to which he owns a fine
residence, eight public buildings and twenty lots, the latter of which
will aggregate in value fully $10,000. In addition to the above, Mr.
Harreld is the owner of five hundred acres of land, and is part owner of
a company owning two hundred acres. A portion of Mr. Harreld 's
holdings lie in Jackson county, on which is grown annually a consider-
able quantity of fruit and grain. In 1911 he raised one thousand
bushels of wheat, three thousand boxes, or six hundred barrels, of apples,
and quantities of other products.

Mr. Harreld has been three times married. His first wife was Emily
Cheney, and they were separated by divorce, some time subsequent to
their marriage, in 1890. On February 24, 1894, he married Miss Molly
Parsons. She died in December, 1906, leaving one son, William E. His
third marriage took place in October, 1907, when Ora B. Hartlins be-
came his wife. They are the parents of two children, Cora Amelia and
Mary Louise.

JOHN G. YOUNG, county clerk of Jefferson county, has been active in
the politics of his county ever since he was old enough to understand
the intricacies of this phase of public life, for his father was an influen-
tial figure in politics and the lad absorbed it with the very air he
breathed. He has been both a business man and a farmer, and has
carried the success which he had in these two branches of industry into
his present position. He is widely known and liked throughout the
county.

The father of John G. Young is William L. Young, a prominent busi-
ness man and farmer of Farrington. He was born in Mississippi, in
December, 1842, the son of Robert S. Young. When he was but ^boy
he migrated to Southern Illinois, locating in Farrington township.
Since 1880 he has conducted a merchandise store at Farrington, and in
addition has extensive farming interests. In the northeast part of Jef-
ferson county he owns over six hundred and forty acres, which, taken as
a whole, forms one of the richest tracts of land in Southern Illinois, and
owing to the care that is used in its cultivation, and the scientific man-
ner in which this is carried on, the yearly crop is uniformly large. Mr.
Young was married in about 1870 to Laura C. Byard, who died in
August. 1901. She and her husband were the parents of seven children,
four of whom are now living. Two of these died in infancy, and James
E., who was next to the eldest son, is deceased. John G. is the eldest, and
the three girls of the family are all married. Cora is Mrs. Gibson, Ra-
chel A. is Mrs. Ganaway and Winnie became Mrs. Price.

John G. Young was born on the 30th of July, 1871, on a farm in
Farrington township. He was reared on the farm and attended the



1346 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

common schools until it was time for him to go away to college. Ewing
College was the institution of his choice, and he spent the school year
of 1889-1890 studying there. Then, having come to believe that a busi-
ness education would be more useful to him than a purely academic one,
he entered Bryant and Stratton's Business College in St. Louis, where
he completed the course offered. On his return home no favorable open-
ing appearing in the business world, he turned to the first thing that
turned up and began teaching school. He entered this profession when
he was twenty-two and taught in Jefferson county until 1899, spending
his summers farming. In this way he managed to accumulate consid-
erable capital, and moving to Mount Vernon he invested in the mercan-
tile business. He continued in this field until 1905, when he returned
to his farm. Here on his beautiful farm in Farrington township he
spent the next six years of his life. His election as county clerk in
November, 1910, forced him to give up the agricultural life for a time.
He was elected for a term of four years. Mr. Young has always been a
factor in securing victories for his party, which is the Democratic, and
previous to his election as county clerk had held various township offices.
A taste for administering public affairs seems to run in the family, for
in addition to his father's activities his uncle, W. T. Summer, was super-
intendent of the county schools for a period of twelve years.

Mr. Young is very active in the various fraternal orders to which he
belongs. He is a loyal and firm supporter of the tenets of Masonry,
being a member of the blue lodge and of the chapter at Mount Vernon,
as well as being a Royal Arch Mason. The other orders with which he
is associated are the Knights of Pythias and the Red Men of Mount
Vernon.

In May, 1897, Mr. Young was married to Miss Minnie J. Cox, who
was born in Williamson county, Illinois. Her father was Thomas A.
Cox and her mother was Kate Rendleman, who was a member of one of
the largest and oldest of the pioneer families of Southern Illinois. Mrs.
Young was reared on the old home near Carbondale, and has spent all
of her life in this section. Two sons and two daughters constitute the
family of Mr. and Mrs. Young, Edward Bernays, James, Helen and little
Katherine, aged four.

HON. GEORGE VERNOB. There is something exceedingly attractive
in the voluntary retirement of a man who for a quarter of a century
has taken an active and influential part in the affairs of the govern-
ment. He leaves public life in the fullness of his strength, exchang-
ing the exciting scenes of political turmoil, which present the most
powerful attractions to the ambitious, for the peaceful labors of his
profession, in the pursuit of which he, mayhap, finds time to rumin-
ate on past events, on those that are passing and on those which the
future will probably develop. Standing pre-eminent among the mem-
bers of the bench and bar of Southern Illinois is the Hon. George
Vernor, of Nashville, ex-judge of Washington county, who on his
retirement from office in 1902 had a record of the longest continuous
service in the history of the county. Judge Vernor was born in Nash-
ville, October 23, 1839, and is a son of Zenos H. and Martha (Watts)
Vernor.

Henry Vernor, the grandfather of the Judge, was born in county
Armagh, Ireland, and died in Alabama. He was a Primitive Baptist
minister and "steam doctor," and married a Miss Enloe, who bore
him the following children : Ezekiel, who died in Tennessee during
the Civil war ; Zenos H. ; Benjamin, who passed away in Jefferson
county, Illinois, during the 'sixties; Noah, who was a resident of Mis-



Tib LIBRARY
OF THE

OF SVJS-1T.



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1347

sissippi, where he died; James, who moved to Texas and there spent
the remainder of his life; Jane, who married a Mr. Hodge; Nancy,
who was the wife of a Mr. Stewart ; and Sallie, who died in Alabama.

Zenos H. Vernor was born in 1808, in 1830 moved to St. Glair
county, Illinois, and two years later removed to and entered land in
Washington county. He enlisted for service against Black Hawk in
1832 and was in the field several months before the old chief surren-
dered his warriors at Prairie du Chien in 1833. Zenos H. Vernor is
remembered now by but few people of the county. He was not a man
of culture and broad education, but possessed a good mental poise,
and his native ability commended itself to his countrymen, for they
sent him to the constitutional convention of 1848 and made him a mem-
ber of the lower house of the state legislature in 1850. In political
matters he was a Democrat. He died in June, 1856, in Nashville, on
his farm, after having spent some years as a blacksmith and in mer-
cantile pursuits. Zenos H. Vernor married Miss Martha Watts, a
daughter of James and Charlotte (Parker) Watts, who came to Illi-
nois from Georgia, James dying in St. Clair county about 1827. The
Watts were of Welsh origin and moved to Illinois about 1818. Mrs.
Vernor was the oldest of four children, the others being as follows:



Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 40 of 98)