Mr. Wiegmann was married in Davis, Illinois, March 16, 1886, to
Miss Sophia Meier, a daughter of Henry and Barbara (Weber) Meier
of German and French nativity, respectively. They celebrated their
HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1457
sixtieth wedding anniversary before death parted them. Louis D. is
the only child of his parents. He was born in 1887, was educated in
the public schools and business college, and is now his father's assistant
in the bank. He married Miss Minta Roper.
The Wiegmann politics are those of the Democratic party, and in
religious matters the family is connected with the German Evangelical
FRANK F. NOLEMAN. Among the prominent and prosperous law-
yers of Centralia and Marion county, Frank F. Noleman takes enviable
rank. He has been a practicing attorney of Centralia since 1889, which
year marked the beginning of his legal career, and in the years that
have elapsed since then he has made steady progress in the pathway of
Born on July 2, 1868, Frank F. Noleman is the son of Robert D. and
Anna M. (White) Noleman. The former was born in Adams county,
Ohio, in 1816 and came to Illinois in 1843, settling in Jefferson county.
He established the first sawmill in Jefferson county, prominently known
as Noleman 's Mill. He continued to operate this mill until in 1858,
when he moved to Centralia and established a lumber yard. In 1861,
promptly on the breaking out of the Civil war, he organized Company
H, First Illinois Cavalry, known as Noleman 's Cavalry, and he served
in the war one year as captain of his company. Returning to Centralia,
he was appointed postmaster of that point and served acceptably until
1863, when he was appointed to the office of collector of internal revenues
for the Eleventh District, which office he filled in a creditable manner
for eleven years. He was afterwards a commissioner of the Joliet peni-
tentiary for four years. He was generally regarded in his community
as being one of its best citizens, and his success as a man of public posi-
tion was admittedly good. He died in 1883, leaving a good name and
a modest estate, and he was sincerely mourned by all who knew him.
His wife was a native of the state of New York. She died in 1902, hav-
ing survived her husband by a number of years. Both were members
of the Methodist Episcopal church. The father of Robert Noleman and
the grandfather of Frank F. Noleman was Richard Noleman, born in
Maryland. He moved first to Pennsylvania and then to Ohio. In 1843
he brought his family to Illinois, soon after which he died. He was a
successful farmer, and a veteran of the Black Hawk war. The maternal
grandfather of Frank F. Noleman was James White, born in county
Kildare, Ireland, and coming with his wife to this country in about
the year 1830. They settled in New York state, where he followed
farming and raised a large family, and there he and his wife departed
Frank F. Noleman had the advantage of only a moderate schooling
in his boyhood and youth. When he had completed the course of study
in the common schools of his town he entered McKendree College at
Lebanon, Ohio, taking a two year collegiate course. Following that
course of study he entered the law office of Casey & Dwight. of Centralia,
reading law with them until 1889, when he was admitted to the bar.
He promptly opened an office in Centralia and there began the practice
of his profession. From a necessarily small beginning Mr. Noleman
has built up a practice wide in its scope and of a remunerative nature.
He is the local representative of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
Railroad Company and for the Southern Railway, and is the representa-
tive of a number of the local corporations. He has a considerable busi-
ness of a professional nature in the adjoining counties and in the Fed-
1458 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Aside from his legal connections he is affiliated with a number of the
more important financial organizations of Centralia, among which are
the Old National Bank, of which he is a director; he is the secretary
and a director of the Marion County Coal Company ; he is vice-president
of the Centralia Envelope Company; and is a member of the directo-
rates of the Home Building & Loan Association, the Centralia Water
Supply Company, the Centralia Commercial Club and the Centralia
Public Library. Mr. Noleman is a Republican in his political adherence,
but has never held any public office beyond that of city attorney in
the early days of his profession, although he is alive to the best interests
of the party at all times. He is a Mason, and a member of the Chapter
and the Gyrene Commandery, No. 23, of Centralia.
In 1894 Mr. Noleman married Miss Daisie Schindler, a daughter of
F. Schindler, a shoe merchant of Centralia. One child, Irene, was born
of their union. In 1902 his wife died, and in 1909 Mr. Noleman mar-
ried Miss Ella Jones. She is a daughter of James Jones, a native of
Perry county, and a farmer. Mrs. Noleman is a member of the Presby-
terian church. Mr. Noleman, while a contributor to the Methodist church,
of which his mother was a member, has never become a member of any
WILLIAM SCHWARTZ. Prominent among the more prosperous German
farmers of Southern Illinois, and especially Pulaski county, William
Schwartz takes high rank as a representative and valuable citizen of his
community. From a small beginning in 1890 he has increased his in-
terests from time to time until he now has one* of the finest farms in
the state, fully equipped with the most modern appliances and with a
dwelling and other buildings which would do credit to any man.
Born January 6, 1859, in St. Clair county, Illinois, Mr. Schwartz
is a son of Peter Schwartz, a native of Germany who settled in that
county many years before the war of the rebellion. He was born in
Schleswig-Holstein, on November 2, 1828, in which place he received
the advantage of a good education, and was trained in the craft of the
blacksmith. He served his country in the army during the war of 1848
and in 1853 he emigrated to America in company with a brother, Wil-
liam, who became a resident of Arizona, near El Paso, Texas. Peter
Schwartz was followed to the United States a few years later by a
brother and sister, John and Margaret (Luedemann) Schwartz, who
settled in St. Clair county. For a number of years following his ad-
vent to America and the state of Illinois, Mr. Schwartz followed his
trade as a blacksmith, but with the acquisition of a tract of land he
was emboldened to branch out into farming, a move which proved to be
most profitable on his part, as he proved that he was as capable in the
role of a farmer as in- that of a blacksmith. In 1856 Mr. Schwartz mar-
ried Barbara Ruebel, who was born near Weisbaden, Germany. She
died in 1868, leaving her husband and four children to mourn her loss.
The children are : John, a farmer of St. Clair county ; William, of this
sketch ; Christopher, also a farmer of St. Clair county ; and Fritz, who
died in East St. Louis on December 20, 1911. Mr. Schwartz contracted
a second marriage in later years, when Mary Gauss became his wife.
She survives her husband, who passed away in 1899.
The education of William Schwartz was secured in the district
schools of his locality, and he was for a short time an attendant at a
German school near his home. He came to know the life of a farmer
by his actual experience with it, and when he was twenty-three years
old his father turned the county home over to him and his brother for
cultivation and management. During the years which intervened be-
HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1459
fore he came to Pulaski county he accumulated some stock, farming
implements and other necessary paraphernalia incidental to successful
farming, and he came to Southern Illinois prepared to acquire a farm
of his own. He purchased a hundred and sixty acres of land possess-
ing rather primitive improvements, and began to raise stock and grain.
He reaped a liberal reward from his applied industry and in a com-
paratively short time was able to add another quarter section to his
estate. In 1900, ten years after he located in Pulaski county, Mr.
Schwartz built himself a handsome residence, suited in every way to the
demands of country life and entirely modern in the best sense of the
word, in addition to which he has erected a fine lot of buildings which
give him an ideal equipment for the housing of his products and his
stock. All things considered, his place is one of the best and most suit-
ably equipped that may be found in the county. In addition 'to his ex-
tensive farming interests, he is a stockholder in the Grand Chain Mer-
cantile Company, one of the leading concerns of the village of Grand
Chain. He shares in the political faith of his father, which was that
of the Republican party, and is interested in the advancement of the
cause, although his time is so fully occupied by his manifold duties in
connection with the proper management of his farm that he has little
time to devote to political matters. He has been a school-director for
his district, giving praiseworthy service in that capacity.
On November 20, 1884, Mr. Schwartz was married to Miss Eva K.
Daab, a daughter of Louis and Johanna (Pahrbeck) Daab, both of
German birth and residents of Monroe county. Mr. Daab died in 1864,
and two of his four children were living at that time. Mr. and Mrs.
Schwartz became the parents of six children, all of whom are living.
They are : "William D., a farmer of Pulaski county, married Miss Lizzie
Allif, who died after a few months and he took for his second wife Miss
Angie Riffner; Julius, a resident of Belleville; Walter P.; Eddie P.;
Frederick W. ; and Albert Philip.
WALTER DAVIS PAEMLY. Among the most intelligent and progress-
ive fruit growers of Union county is Mr. Walter Davis Family. Hav-
ing lived in this section all of his life, he has become closely identified
with the affairs of the county and is a man whose public spirit may be
depended on when any important issue arises. As an agriculturist he
has been very successful, owing this success not only to his own thor-
ough knowledge of this great basic industry, but to a natural ability for
farming and fruit raising, inherited from his father.
Walter D. Parmly was born on the farm where he now lives, Septem-
ber 18, 1867, his father being John Parmly and his mother, Sarah
(Biggs) Parmly. The former was the son of Giles Parmly, and was
born in October, 1816. Giles Parmly was a Kentuckian by birth, who
migrated to Southern Illinois in 1808, but finding the Indians on the
warpath and peaceful farming impossible, he returned to Kentucky,
where he resided until 1811. At this date he again came to Union
county, settling about one mile west of Alto Pass. Here he reared a
large family and died on the farm where he had spent the later years of
his life. His son John, with the exception of one year's residence in
Stoddard county, Missouri, lived in Union county all of his life. In
1861 his first wife, Susan Hanson, died. By this marriage he had seven
children, three of whom are now living. When the Mexican war threat-
ened Mr. Parmly responded to the call for volunteers and enlisted in
the army, but he saw no active service. In 1857 he began to experi-
ment with fruit growing, thus becoming one of the first orchardists in
his county. He was a good farmer, believing in embracing every op-
1460 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
portunity for improving his property and methods of cultivation, and
his views have been ably carried out by his sons. After the death of
his first wife he married Sarah Biggs, and Walter D., the subject of
this sketch, is the third of five children, four of whom are living.
Walter D. Parmly was born and reared in the clean atmosphere and
among the strengthening influences of a healthy farm life, having always
lived on his present place of one hundred and twenty acres. He has
planted his farm largely in fruit trees, as follows: fifteen and a half
acres in apples, which are just beginning to bear; twenty acres in
peaches, also young, but producing in 1911 a light crop of five hundred
cases; five acres in rhubarb, largely young plants, from which he ob-
tained seven hundred packages in 1911 ; also shipping this year four
hundred barrels of sweet potatoes. He owns another large farm of
one hundred and five acres, which he has likewise planted mainly in
young fruit trees, nine acres being planted in apples, eight in peaches,
four in rhubarb and ten in sweet potatoes. In cultivating these various
crops Mr. Parmly uses the most modern methods. He has two machine
sprayers, operated by gasoline, and believes in their frequent use, all of
his trees receiving a spray about five times a year.
Fraternally Mr. Parmly is affiliated with the Cobden Chapter of the
Knights of Pythias, and is an ardent supporter of all for which this
order stands. In religious matters he is a Baptist, being a member of
the Missionary Baptist cKurch of Limestone.
On the 7th of October, 1888, Mr. Parmly was married to Nancy
Elizabeth Sumner, a daughter of Winstead and Ellen (Farrell) Sum-
ner. They are the parents of three children, two of whom, Faith and
Ulva, are living.
ANTHONY DOHEBTY. Self-made is a word that comes quickly to
mind when a man has overcome difficulties that have beset his path and
used them as stepping-stones by which he has climbed to a large meas-
ure of success in life. It is an honorable word and. stands for industry,
perseverance, courage and self-denial, and may justly and appropri-
ately be used in commenting on the life and career of Anthony Doherty,
one of the prominent business men of Clay City, Illinois. That success
should come to such a man is in justice due, for the untrained lad who
overcomes obstacles by sheer persistency and indefatigable labor cer-
tainly deserves such reward. Mr. Doherty was born in the state of
Louisiana, August 11, 1858, and is a son of Robert H. and Sarah A.
(Smith) Doherty, and grandson of Anthony and Charlotte (Swayzee)
Mr. Doherty 's grandfather was a wealthy Louisiana planter and
slave-owner, and died just before the Civil war, while his grandfather
on the maternal side was a native of Massachusetts who moved to
Louisiana and there spent the rest of his life. The latter had a family of
five children, to all of whom he left a good estate. Robert H. Doherty
was born in Louisiana, November 3, 1831, and received excellent educa-
tional advantages, being a graduate of Bethany (Virginia) College.
He was engaged in sugar planting in his native state. He died Septem-
ber 27, 1860. His widow was left with the estate that had been given
her by her father, but this was lost, like thousands of other fortunes,
when the Confederacy went to its doom, and Mrs. Doherty was per-
suaded to move to a little farm belonging to a maiden aunt in Illinois.
Accordingly, she came to this state in 1871, settled on the little prop-
erty and proceeded to rear and educate her children as best she might,
and Anthony secured a good education in the schools of Clay City.
After completing his mental training he started life on his little forty-
HfflVERSITY OF ILUMB
HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1461
acre farm, but he had no inclination for the vocation of an agriculturist
and after giving the life a trial entered a drug store, working for a
year without pay, except his board, in order to learn the business. Dur-
ing the next two years he worked as a clerk in drug stores at a salary
of thirty dollars per month, but found he was not advancing fast enough,
and so secured employment as a school teacher. During the next six
years he was employed as an educator in various parts of the county
and for one year was principal of schools in Clay City, and in 1882
found he had saved enough, by constant economy, to purchase a one-
half interest in a drug store. Subsequently he and his partner divided
the stock and Mr. Doherty took his brother as partner, under the firm
name of Doherty Brothers, a concern that has conducted a pharmacy
in Clay City for more than twenty-eight years. In 1881 Mr. Doherty
first went on the road as a commercial traveler for a drug house, and he
has traveled nearly all the time since. At one time he decided to leave
the road, but after a short trial found that his health demanded travel-
ing, and accordingly took up the work and again became a "Knight of
the Grip." Since 1899 Mr. Doherty has been in the service of the J. S.
Merrill Drug Company, and he is known to members of the trade all
over the country. Mr. Doherty has invested much of his capital in
valuable lands in Illinois, and nows owns an excellent, well-paying farm
of one hundred and forty-eight acres, located near Clay City. He is a
capable business man, and to each of his several enterprises brings a
complete and intricate knowledge of detail, showing the result of care-
ful and conscientious study. He is a prominent Mason, belonging to
Clay City Lodge, No. 488, A. F. & A. M. ; Flora Chapter, No. 154, R, A.
M. ; Gorin Commandery, No. 14 K. T. of Olney, and has served as mas-
ter of his lodge and as district deputy grand master for a number of
years He gives his political allegiance to the Democratic party, but
has been too busy to think of seeking public preferment. With his
family he attends the Christian church.
Mr. Doherty was first married to Miss Maggie Smith, who died July
5. 1880, daughter of John Smith. On December 28, 1881, his second
marriage occurred, when he was united with Miss Clara Souther, daugh-
ter of Simon Souther, a native of Wurtemberg, Germany. Mr. Souther
who was a carpenter by trade and came to the United States when a lad
of eight years, lived for a number of years at Salem, Illinois. Mr. and
Mrs. Doherty have had seven children, namely : Ethel, who married Dr.
C. E. Duff, a well-known dental practitioner of Lawrenceville, Illinois;
Robert, an electrical engineer at Schenectady, New York, in the employ
of the General Electric Company, and a graduate of the class of 1909,
University of Illinois ; Maude, who lives at home with her parents ;
Stephen Swayzee, who in April, 1912, graduated from the Chicago Vet-
erinary College; Thomas Anthony, traveling in Illinois for a wholesale
drug establishment; Chester C., a student at the Lawrenceville high
school ; and -Kathleen, who lives at home and is attending school.
JAMES R. WEAVER. Conspicuously identified with Mounds for up-
wards of five years as a coal and ice dealer and as a member of the livery
and trading firm of Scruggs & Weaver, James R. Weaver is one of the best
known and most prominent men in Pulaski county. He was born at Wa-
thena, Kansas, November 29, 1862. His mother died at his birth, and his
father, Barnett Weaver, brought his two children back to their old home
at Grand Chain, Illinois, around which point the son, James R. Weaver,
remained until his removal to the county seat to assume the duties of the
office of sheriff of the county, in 1902.
Barnett Weaver, the father of James R. Weaver, was born in Union
1462 HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
county, Illinois, in 1832, and he passed his youth near Mount Pleasant,
where his father, Barnett Weaver, Sr., had settled as a pioneer in early
days, and where he passed away after rearing a family of six children.
Barnett Weaver, Jr., was an average citizen of his community from the
standpoint of education, and came from a home where patriotic senti-
ments flourished. He with his two brothers, Jasper and John, were vol-
unteer soldiers and are Civil war veterans. At the cessation of hostilities
Barnett Weaver removed to Indian Territory and was a resident there
when he died, in 1908. He is buried at Sapulpa, Oklahoma, where his
family by his second marriage still lives. His first wife was Susan White,
and besides James R., she left a daughter, Florence, now Mrs. Abe
Mobley, of Seattle, Washington.
The childhood of James R. Weaver was passed under the guardianship
of one of the eccentric characters of Pulaski county, Dr. James B. Ray.
The Doctor practiced medicine at Grand Chain for a number of years,
coming to Southern Illinois before the war. He was a native of Kentucky
and was reared in a household which took up arms against the Union. He
became a most rabid, uncompromising and partisan Republican, and this,
with other peculiarities, marked him conspicuously among his fellows.
His ward, young "Jim" Ray, as he was called, imbibed many of the traits
of the singular old Doctor. As a school boy, Jim cared little or nothing
for books. He abused his privileges in school by inventing schemes to
evade his responsibilities as a student, and his school days were a con-
tinuous round of frivolities, rather than the serious preparation which
the average youth finds necessary. He was later sent to Ewing College,
where he might have taken a degree, but for the old failing which clung
to him with the passing years. When he left school he was as little in-
clined for serious work as he had been in his school days, and for several
years he roved about through the west, securing occasional employment
when necessary, but for the most part getting money from home for his
needs. As he neared the close of the third decade of life he began to
show a disposition to fasten to something serious and make a name for
himself, and he was encouraged in his new motives by being chosen as
constable of his township ; he was shortly thereafter elected justice of the
peace, and while the encumbent of that office acquired a solid footing with
the politicians and voters of his county, which eventually resulted in his
being chosen to the office of county assessor and treasurer. In his po-
litical opinions Mr. Weaver is a Republican and believes that all good and
true policies of a political nature emanate from the Republican party.
In 1898 he was chosen assessor and treasurer of Pulaski county, as men-
tioned previously, and after serving four years in that capacity he was
elected to the office of sheriff and collector, and when his term in that ca-
pacity expired he was returned to the office of assessor and treasurer, in
all passing twelve years in the courthouse in the service of Pulaski county.
Save for the execution of Eli Bugg for conspiring to murder Chris
Mathis, Mr. Weaver's regime as sheriff was void of incident beyond the
regular routine of duty.
On January 6, 1890, Mr. Weaver married at Olmstead, Illinois,
Miss Myra Smith, a daughter of Judge H. M. Smith. Mr. and Mrs.
Weaver became the parents of three children: Susie, born November 4,
1890 ; Mid, born January 22, 1894, died January 1, 1896 ; Maurice, born
March 14, 1896, died October 30, 1901. Susie attended the public schools
of Mound City, following which she became a student in the M. C. F. I.
at Jackson, Tennessee, and was duly graduated from that institution in
1907. She married on April 27, 1909, to Fred S. Keiser, of Union City,
Tennessee. Mr. Keiser is a graduate of Vanderbilt University. At the
time of their marriage he was in the employ of the Illinois Central Rail-
HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1463
road Company at Mounds. They now reside in Chicago, where Mr.
Keiser is in the employ of the same company in their general offices.
Following the years of his public service as an official of Pulaski
county, Mr. Weaver moved to Mounds and engaged in the livery, ice and
coal business with George M. Scruggs, which firm deals actively as trad-
ers in horses and mules for the home markets. The firm has contributed
to the improvement of Mounds in the erection of a concrete barn and in
building a number of cottages to rent. Mr. Weaver has other permanent
interests in the county, and leads rather a busy life, but he always has
plenty of time for his friends and is always glad to meet them.
JOHN E. DAUGHEBTY is secretary of the Chester Knitting Mills, was
one of its active spirits as a promoter and has been identified with this
section of Illinois since 1903. He is indigenous to the soil and climate
of this state, his birth having occurred at Pontiac, Illinois, January 17,
1879. He grew up in that city and his early educational training was
acquired in the township high school, in which he completed" a commer-
cial course, thus equipping himself for a business career, which he began
upon reaching his majority.
The father of the subject of this review was James M. Daugherty, a
native of Ireland, whence he came to the United States with his parents
when a mere child. He grew up and was educated in Rhode Island.