Copyright
George Washington Smith.

A history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) online

. (page 59 of 98)
Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 59 of 98)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


James M. Daugherty married Miss Nancy Sharkey, and the two came
out to Pontiac, Illinois. There he passed his life and died in 1899, at
the age of sixty-six years. Concerning the five children born to Mr.
and Mrs. Daugherty, James is an instructor in the trade school of the
Pontiac Reformatory; Mrs. A. J. Renoe resides at Leavenworth, Kan-
sas; Elizabeth is a teacher in the Pontiac public schools; John E. is
the immediate subject of this sketch ; and Edward S. resides with his
mother and sister at Pontiac.

When ready to engage in. business John B. Daugherty was con-
fronted with an opportunity to become a volunteer soldier and help
fight a battle for humanity or seek employment in some commercial or
industrial capacity at home. He chose the former and enlisted as a
soldier in Company F, Third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, under Col-
onel Fred Bennett, for service in the Spanish-American war. The regi-
ment was ordered from Springfield to Chickamauga Park, Georgia, and
there remained in camp for three months. In July it was ordered to
join the troops bound for Porto Rico and was disembarked at Arroya.
The command proceeded on the Guyama and encountered the Spanish
at a few points, but met with little resistance. When the Spanish do-
minion collapsed in America, August 12, 1898, the Third Illinois be-
came one of the regiments of occupation. It remained on police duty
until November, 1898, when it was ordered home. Upon reaching Joliet,
Illinois, the regiment was furloughed until January, at which time it
was mustered out.

Upon resuming the responsibilities of civil life Mr. Daugherty en-
tered the Paramount Knitting Company's service at Pontiac as an ordi-
nary hand about the plant and he came to Chester for the company in
1903. He had been rewarded with a forernanship by this time and
when the factory removed to Waupun, Wisconsin, in 1904, he accom-
panied it and was absent from Chester till 1905, some eighteen months.
When the Paramount mills left Chester a movement was soon inaug-
urated for the establishment of an independent plant here, with J. H.
Rickman as its prime mover. Mr. Rickman was joined by Mr. Daugh-
erty and upon the organization of the new concern the latter was
chosen secretary of the company. Both Mr. Daugherty and Mr. Rick-



1464 HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

man had mastered the details of the knitting business and, as a mat-
ter of course, the management of the new company fell to them. The
several expansions of the plant and the erection of another mill at Col- '
linsville, Illinois, are some of the indications of the efficiency of the
work of the management.

On April 24, 1907, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Daugherty
to Miss Mabel V. Homer, of Chester. Mrs. Daugherty is a daughter of
Hon. Henry Clay Horner, one of the leading members of the Randolph
county bar and a citizen of prominence and influence in Southern Illi-
nois. Mr. and Mrs. Daugherty have two children, Mary Elizabeth
and Catherine Isabel.

Mr. Daugherty, while he has never participated actively in public
affairs, is deeply and sincerely interested in community affairs and does
all in his power to advance progress and development. He is affiliated
with a number of representative fraternal organizations. The family
home of the Daughertys is one of great attractiveness and is a center of
refinement and hospitality.

JOHN JUDSON JENNELLE, D. D. S. One of the leading members of
the profession of dentistry in Southern Illinois, John Judson Jennelle
has been engaged in practice in Cairo for a quarter of a century con-
tinuously. His first advent hither was in 1872, and after passing two
years he went back to his old home, DuQuoin, Illinois, to remain a few
years, and then returned to the commercial center at the mouth of the
Ohio for permanent identity with its citizenship. He was born at Leroy,
New York, August 3, 1850, from whence his parents migrated in 1865 to
Pontiac, Michigan, his father, John J. Jennelle, following the trade of
tinner and plumber, which he had learned at his native place, Quebec,
Canada, where he had been born of French parents. He died in 1901, at
the age of eighty-five years, and his widow, who had been Miss Melvira
Bartef, of Ogdensburg, New York, followed him to the grave in 1904.
Of their family five children lived to grow to maturity.

Dr. John J. Jennelle acquired his education in the common schools
and took up the study of dentistry when there were but two dental col-
leges in the United States. He learned his first lessons in the office of
a practitioner, thereby equipping himself for real professional work,
and in 1870, having properly experienced himself, he took up the prac-
tice in DuQuoin, and that place and Cairo constitute the scenes of his
professional activity. Dr. Jennelle entered the profession before the
State Association of Dentists was organized and he is a charter member
of that body. When the movement for legislation for the protection of
the profession was being urged, the Doctor adds his influence to it and
was appointed by Governor Cullom a member of the first board of den-
tal examiners of Illinois. He is a Republican in politics, and has become
allied with the public services as one result of his iinalloyed citizenship
and Republican proclivities. He was elected county commissioner in
1904, again in 1907 and a third time in 1910, and during all these years
he has been chairman of the board. He has given a few years of service
to the city as an alderman and, while in DuQuoin. he served very ably
as a member of the board of education.

On August 6, 1874, Dr. Jennelle was married in DuQuoin, Illinois, to
Miss Lucy E. Dyer, a daughter of the late Dr. L. Dyer, prominent in
Southern Illinois affairs for many years, a member of the Eighty-first
Illinois Volunteer Infantry during the Civil war, a surgeon in Grant's
army and actively identified with professional interests almost to his
death in 1897. He was born in Vermont and married a Miss Purdy.
Dr. and Mrs. Jennelle have had the following children : John, who is



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 3465

general manager of one of the largest lumber companies of the Pacific
coast, maintains his home in Seattle, and is married to Miss Edith Halli-
day, of Cairo, and has two children, Edith and John Judson ; Marian,
the Doctor's second child, married R. E. Given, a business man of Fort
Stockton, Texas; and June, the third child, became the wife of H. N.
Calhoun, well known in business circles of Chicago. Dr. Jennelle has
ever comported himself quietly and unobtrusively, and his life has been
devoted to his family and his profession, and to a modest effort to serve
his adopted community.

RALPH E. SPKIGG, of Chester, whose name occupies a conspicuous
place on the roll of Illinois' eminent lawyers, during some three decades
connection with the bar of the state has won and maintained a reputa-
tion for ability that has given him just pre-eminence among his pro-
fessional brethren. In the law, as in every other walk of life, success is
largely the outcome of resolute purpose and unfaltering industry,
qualities which are possessed in a large degree by Mr. Sprigg.

A native of Illinois, Ralph E. Sprigg was born at Prairie du Rocher,
October 9, 1859. His father was James D. Sprigg, a merchant at Prairie
du Rocher during a goodly portion of his active career. He was likewise
born in Illinois and was a son of Ignatius Sprigg, who came west from
Hagerstown, Maryland. The original progenitor of the Sprigg family
in America was born 1 and reared in England and was one of the first
governors of Maryland after his arrival in this country. William
Sprigg, another ancestor of the subject of this review, served on the
bench as presiding judge of all the country west of Virginia, then styled
the Northwest Territory. Men of the Sprigg family have been engaged
in various vocations bankers, merchants, doctors and lawyers and all
have proved themselves able representatives of their respective crafts.
Ignatius Sprigg in his youth was a surveyor and was associated in that
work in Illinois with Judge Thompson. Making his home in Randolph
county, this state, he was chosen one of the early sheriffs of the county.
James D. Sprigg, father of Ralph E., passed away in 1872, at the age of
forty-four years. He married Miss Amanda Mudd, a daughter of Wil-
liam Mudd, of Virginia, Mrs. Sprigg long survived her honored hus-
band and she died in 1901, leaving Ralph E. as her only heir.

Ralph E. Sprigg grew to maturity in his native place and as a
youth he attended St. Vincent's College. He spent five years in the
Cape Girardeau (Mo.) Normal School, and eventually pursued the study
of law in the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor. After his gradu-
ation in the last-mentioned institution he took advanced work in the
University of Georgetown, at Washington, D. C. In 1880 he was admit-
ted to practice at the Illinois bar and he entered upon the active prac-
tice of his profession in Chester, where he has resided during the long
intervening years to the present time. He immediately assumed a
prominent position as a member of the legal fraternity, developed the
art of public-speaking to a remarkable degree, and was chosen state's
attorney of his county in 1884. He continued as the able and popular
incumbent of the latter office for a period of eight years, at the expira-
tion of which he left it with the reputation of a vigorous prosecutor and
defender of the law. His long experience as the state's representative
before the court uncovered for him the real career of his life criminal
law. He gave prominence to this feature of law when he returned to
private practice and his successes have established for him a fine reputa-
tion and clientele in all Southern Illinois. He is an adept at the art
of getting testimony and is a master of the subject of evidence. His
manner in trials is vigorous and determined and his arguments before



1466 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

court and jury come from a heart filled with anxiety for his client and
are supported with facts and precedents that seldom fail to win him a
verdict.

Mr. Sprigg was reared a Democrat. He remained with the regular
organization until the Chicago convention nominated Bryan and took
up the free-silver heresy, when he joined the Palmer and Buckner wing
of the party and stumped the state with Hon. W. S. Foreman, the gold
Democratic candidate for governor. He was elected mayor of Chester
for three terms consecutively, filling the office for six years, and his con-
nection with state politics extended to a service of five years on the
State Democratic committee. He 'was a member of the Chester school
board two terms and has rendered service to his town and community
in defense of their welfare on every and all occasions. In the contest
for the relocation of the county seat he rendered his community inval-
uable assistance in brushing away the inducements offered by the com-
petitive point for capital honors. In a business way Mr. Sprigg is vice-
president of the bank of L. H. Gilster, of Chester, is connected with the
Buena Vista Milling Company and is local attorney for the Illinois
Southern, the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern, and the Cotton Belt
Railways. In fraternal circles he is an Elk, a Knight of Pythias and a
Modern Woodman. As a man he is thoroughly conscientious, of un-
doubted integrity, affable and courteous in manner, and has a host of
friends, and few, if any, enemies.

On June 9, 1880, Mr. Sprigg was united in marriage to Miss Eliza-
beth Florence Lindsey, a daughter of Judge John H. Lindsey. Their
only child, Nora, is the wife of J. Frank Gilster, law partner of Mr.
Sprigg and a promising member of the Chester bar.

JAMES HENRY HOGUE. The junior member of the firm of Hogue &
Son, of Vienna, Illinois, James Henry Hogue, young though he is, has
by persistence and application to his chosen vocation forged to the front
until he is now one of the best known and capable contractors and house
movers in the city. Many structures throughout this part of the county
attest his mastery of the building trade, and the several large contracts
which he now has on hand indicate that his ability and workmanship are
fully appreciated. He was born on a farm near Vienna, in Johnson
county, August 31, 1884, and is a son of Isaac S. and Vesta (Bridges)
Hogue.

James Hogue, the grandfather of James Henry, was a native of the
Blue Grass state, and migrated to Southern Illinois in 1853, settling
on a farm in Johnson county. He was a timber and lumber dealer,
operating in Kentucky and Illinois, and became the owner of nine hun-
dred acres of land. He was married (first) to a Miss Morris, of Gol-
conda, a daughter of Overman Morris, of Virginia, and granddaughter
of William Morris, who was of Colonial parentage, and there were two
children born to this union: Mrs. Alice Bellamy and Isaac S. By his
second marriage, with a Miss Mathis, he had seven children. Isaac S.
Hogue was born in 1849, in Kentucky, and was four years of age when
he was brought to Southern Illinois. He was reared to agricultural pur-
suits and for some years followed that line of endeavor, but during
later years has devoted himself to contracting and house moving, as
senior member of the firm of Hogue & Son. Mr. Hogue married Miss
Vesta Bridges, daughter of H. T. Bridges, a former justice of the peace
and highly esteemed farmer of Vienna. Her grandfather, James D.
Bridges, was a native of North Carolina, and a son of Francis Bridges
and grandson of William Bridges, a native of England, who immigrated
to the colonies during an early day and settled in North Carolina. Fran-



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1467

cis Bridges married Sarah Cudle, daughter of Jesse Cudle, of North
Carolina; and James D. Bridges was united with Elizabeth Thompson,
of Maury county, Tennessee, daughter of Benjamin and Sarah (Schef-
ner) Thompson, North Carolinians.

James Henry Hogue is the only child of his parents, and his educa-
tion was secured in the public schools in the vicinity of his father's farm.
He was reared to agricultural pursuits, but early in life decided to en-
gage in some more congenial occupation, and the year 1903 found him in
the employ of the Big Pour Railroad Company. He was connected with
this line, and subsequently with the Cotton Belt Line, for four years,
but since 1906 has been engaged in business with his father. Aside from
being a skilled contractor, Mr. Hogue has a well-equipped outfit for
house moving, and he and his father have done much of this kind of
work in recent years. He has gained a reputation for living up to the
letter of each contract that the firm accepts, and the confidence that has
thus been instilled in the public has assisted in building up a large
trade. Mr. Hogue is a member of the Modern Brotherhood of America,
with the members of which he is very popular. He owns a handsome
residence in Vienna, and has many warm, personal friends in the city.

In 1904 Mr. Hogue was married to Miss Delia Pugh, daughter of
Leander Pugh, and they have had one child, Morris Isaac, an 'interest-
ing lad of five years.

ROBERT B. TEMPLETON is one of the leading educators in Southern
Illinois, not only working with all his forces for the advance of educa-
tional work in his own town and county, but also through the various
educational associations is actively interested in the advance of the
work all over the state. In addition to his professional ability he is a
practical man of affairs, who is able to cope with the problems that arise
in a. business-like fashion. This is perhaps due to tRe early age at which
he began his life work, and the many types of people that he has had
under his management during his years of executive work.

Robert B. Templeton was born in Perry county, Illinois, on the 12th
of September, 1877. He is the son of a remarkable man, who had a
varied and interesting career. This man was the late Rev. William H.
Templeton, who spent more than half a century in missionary and pas-
toral work in the Presbyterian church. He was born in Chester county,
Pennsylvania, on the 13th of October, 1824. His forefathers were
Scotch and the American branch of the family was early founded in the
New England colonies. His great-grandfather on his mother's side was
a chaplain in the army of General Washington, and had the nerve-
straining task of bringing cheer and comfort to the suffering soldiers
in the ice bound camp at Valley Forge through the winter of 1777 and
'78. Some of this ancestor's courage and fortitude must have passed
into the soul of his descendant, for after having finished his college edu-
cation he went to the Indian Territory as a commissioner to the Indian
tribes, and spent seven years of his life in missionary work among the
Choctaws. Chickasaws and Seminoles. He had prepared himself for this
work in Washington and Jefferson College in his native state, where he
was a classmate of James G. Elaine, and it was in the late forties that
he went out into the wilderness. On his return to civilization he took
up his residence in Perry county. Illinois, and here the years of his
ministry passed until at the end of the nineteenth century he was forced
to retire from active work on account of failing health. He died on the
27th of March. 1910, and in his death the Presbyterian church lost one
of its strongest forces for good in Perry county, for not only was the
strength of his character a dominating influence in the life of his people,



1468 HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

but the beauty and nobility of his long life of service was an ever pres-
ent reminder of the ideals they all were reaching towards.

Rev. Templeton married Elizabeth M. Craig, a daughter of John M.
Craig a farmer of Perry county, who had settled there on his removal
from Kentucky. Mrs. Templeton is still alive, keeping the old house
open for any of her children who may chose to come home, for most of
them are scattered from the old place in Pinkneyville. The children
are the Rev. William C., pastor of the Presbyterian church in Kirks-
ville; Jeanie E., who is lovingly carrying on the work which her father
began among the Chickasaws in Oklahoma ; Emma, of Pinkneyville ;
John F., a farmer of Perry county ; Dr. James S., of Pinkneyville ; Mary
M., the wife of C. E. Malan, of the same city ; Thomas, who has a farm
not far from here ; and Robert B., the principal of the John B. Ward
school in DuQuoin.

After the completion of his preparatory work in the public schools,
Robert B. Templeton attended first the Southern Illinois Normal Uni-
versity at Carbondale and then the Normal School at Kirksville, Mis-
souri. When he reached the age of nineteen he began teaching in the
country schools of his native county, and after two years of this sort of
work he entered the grades of the Pinkneyville schools. In just a year
he was elected principal of the high school, and served in this position
for three years, when he was elected city superintendent of schools.
He remained at the head of the educational department of the city until
January, 1911, when he took office as county superintendent of schools.
He had been elected to this position in November of the previous year
to succeed Walter R. Kinzey. This post he filled for four years, when
he was elected to his present position, as principal of the John B. Ward
school in DuQuoin.

In his professional connections he is a member of the Illinois State
Teachers Association, in which he served as director for one year. He is
also a member of the Southern Illinois Teachers' Association, of which
he has acted as president. He is unmarried and is actively identified
with church work. He is particularly interested in the work of the
Sunday-schools and represented his church in the state Sunday-school
convention in Bloomington in 1903.

The success with which Mr. Templeton organized his work as a
teacher was prophetic of the success he was to meet in his official capac-
ity as principal and superintendent. He has been, in all cases, able to
unite warring factions and by the use of a strong will and firm determina-
tion not to let the cause of education suffer has been able to keep
peace between those two hereditary enemies, the school-boy and his
teacher. His popularity is great, for with the understanding of the
little man and woman that he has gained through his years of teaching
has come an understanding of the older man and woman, therefore his
circle of friends has grown with the years, until now it includes every
one who has been brought into friendly contact with him.

NEWTON W. DRAPER, principal of schools and editor and proprietor
of the Wayne City News, is essentially one of the foremost men of this
city, in which he has been active since 1906. that being the year which
marks the purchase of the plant of the Wayne City News by him. Mr.
Draper is a native son of Wayne county, born here on December 22,
1875, the son of John W. and Rebecca J. (Witter) Draper, of whose
life and ancestry it is fitting that a few brief words be said here.

John W. Draper was a native of Tennessee, and a son of William
L. Draper, who migrated to Illinois from Tennessee, in 1856. He was
the grandson of Joshua Draper, also a native of Tennessee, but who



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1469

was of Virginia parentage and ancestry since the beginning of the
Virginia colonies. Joshua Draper fought in the Revolutionary war,
and his ancestors came directly from England in the latter part of the
seventeenth century, settling in New England, where the family con-
tinued to abide until in the early part of the nineteenth century, when
the direct ancestors migrated to Tennessee. John W. Draper, the father
of Newton W., married Rebecca J. Witter, a daughter of James and
Sarah Witter, of North Hamilton county, Illinois, her parents coining
from Kentucky. Five children were born to them : Newton W. ; Mrs.
Sarah E. Simpson ; Francis Marion ; Daniel, deceased ; and Otha C.
Mrs. Draper died in 1882, and in later years Mr. Draper married
Malinda Ballard. Two children have been born of this union, Cly
and Rebecca.

Newton W. was educated in the common schools of Wayne county,
later attending the Southern Illinois Normal at Carbondale, and gradu-
ating from the Northwestern University Academy at Evanston, Illi-
nois, in 1904, his education thus being of a high order and well suited
to his calling in life. In 1904 and 1905 Mr. Draper was principal of
the Fairfield high school, and in the fall of 1905 came to Wayne City
as principal of schools, and he has labored continuously in educational
work, with the exception of two years which he gave to exclusive news-
paper work. In June, 1906, Mr. Draper bought the plant of the
Wayne City News, which had been established there in 1903 by Woods
Brothers, and since that time he has conducted the newspaper in con-
junction with his other duties. The paper has a circulation of five -hun-
dred and is especially well patronized as an advertising medium. It
is an eight page sheet, newsy and instructive, and is the organ of Re-
publicanism in this locality.

Mr. Draper is a member of the Baptist church of Wayne City and
is prominent in the allied work of that body, being superintendent of
the Sunday-school and active in other branches. He was secretary of
the Wayne County Sunday School Association for four years.

On June 6, 1906, Mr. Draper married Miss Mary P. Carter, of Fair-
field, the daughter of William H. Carter. They have two children,
Dorothy, aged four years, and Elvira, two years old.

JAMES CLINTON CHAPMAN. In the affairs of his part of the grefct
state of Illinois James Clinton Chapman is a leader, and happily in the
case of a man of so much influence as he possesses, he is progressive and
public-spirited. Although for many years identified with mercantile
business, Mr. Chapman since 1905 has given the greater part of his at-
tention to agriculture, owning a fine farm of five hundred and thirty
acres and a half interest in the old Oliver farm north of Vienna. He
is scientific in his agricultural methods, and not only has lent his as-
sistance to certain experimental endeavors, but has also profited by them
very materially in the cultivation of his own land. He has been partic-
ularly successful as a stock-breeder and has raised some of the finest
stock in this part of the state. He has taken an active part in the
adoption of the best educational methods procurable, for he is fully cog-
nizant of the important part education plays in the life of the nation.



Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 59 of 98)