Copyright
George Washington Smith.

A history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) online

. (page 70 of 98)
Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 70 of 98)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


six children, and through his sterling qualities as a dependable, straight-
forward man, has come to be recognized in his community as one of the
really substantial men of the district.

Born December 14, 1858, in Ohio, Frank Bour is the son of John
Bour, born in Wurtemberg-Schwabenland, Germany, in 1833. In Cin-
cinnati he married Carolina Moser, a girl of German extraction, and
after some little time in that city he concluded to seek a new home in the
farming district of Illinois. Coming down the Ohio river with his family,
he disembarked at Mound City, then a point of importance as the base
of the naval operations of the interior naval forces of the United States.
John Bour had just been discharged from Company B of the Eighty-
eighth Ohio Infantry, in which he had enlisted in Cincinnati some time
previous. He, with his company, did guard duty at Camp Chase for
some time and later the regiment was ordered to the front, Tennessee
being the field of their activities. He participated in the duties of his
command until he was discharged in 1864, and he left the army in a
permanently disabled condition. He suffered constantly for the re-
mainder of his life as a result of rheumatic afflictions contracted while
in service, and the last years of his life he was practically a helpless in-
valid. He settled on what is now termed the Bour Farm, and there he
1875, he had so far improved the property, which he found in a state of
extreme wildness, that his family were able to continue with the cultiva-
spent the remainder of his life. When he passed away in September,
tion of the farm, and a maintenance as a result of their labors was prac-
tically assured. He left besides his widow five sons and a daughter.
They were Frank, Joseph, Charles, Bremen and Edward W., the latter
of whom died in the same year as his father, as a result of a scourge of
typhoid fever which attacked the family. The daughter, Adina, is the
wife of W. Oliver Wallace, of Pulaski, Illinois. The eldest son, Frank,
was but seventeen years of age when he virtually became the head of
the house on the death of his father, and since that time his hand has
been on the throttle. The substantial and attractive improvements which
have materialized since he took charge of the homestead are all indicative
of the solid character of the man and of his thrifty, progressive nature.
His farm of two hundred acres of fertile and productive land marks one
of the garden spots of his locality.

In 1884, the exact date being April 23 of that year, Frank Bour mar-
ried Miss Sallie Palmer, daughter of Pleasant Palmer, a well known
farmer of Villa Ridge community. He was a native of Hardin county,
Tennessee, and settled in Pulaski county in middle life. Mr. Palmer's
first wife was Mahala Biggerstaff,* who bore him three children. They
are Mary J., the wife of William Lacky, of Pulaski county; Frances,
who married John Burkstaller and resides at Roswell, New Mexico ; and
Harriet, the wife of David Dugan, of Charleston, Mississippi. For his
second wife, Mr. Palmer chose Harriet E. Lacky, a daughter of Cyrus
Lacky, and a granddaughter of Thomas Lacky, the founder of this
numerous family in Pulaski county, and a settler of 1814 from North



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1535

Carolina. Mrs. Palmer still lives, and makes her home with her only
child, Mrs. Prank Bour, Mr. Palmer having passed away November 18,
1893, at the age of seventy-one years. Mr. and Mrs. Bour are the par-
ents of Minnie, Frank, Robert, Henry, Clyde and Claud, the latter two
being twins.

ALBERT M. ROSE, judge of the Fourth judicial district of Illinois,
was born in Edwards county, Illinois, on September 22, 1862. He is the
son of Dreaury and Caroline (Ackison) Rose, the former a native of
Grayson county, Kentucky, where he was born in 1828. He died in 1895,
November 7th, at his home in Edwards county, Illinois, having settled
there in 1854. He was a carpenter by trade and followed that business
all his life. A Democrat in his political affiliations, he was always en-
thusiastic in his support of the party, and he has in his time held many
of the public offices of his township and county. The mother survived
him until 1905, when she passed away at the family home in Edwards
county. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal church during
their lifetime and were honest and diligent workers in the church. The
father of Dreaury Rose was a native of the state of Kentucky, but who
settled in Clay county in later life and became well known and pros-
perous in that county. F. Ackison, the maternal grandfather of Albert
Rose, was a native of the Keystone state. He came to Illinois early in
life, and was one of the pioneer farmers of Southern Illinois, where he
attained a fair degree of success in his business. He died in Clay
county at an advanced age.

Mr. Rose was educated in the common and high schools of his home
town and later attended Vineennes University, at Vincennes, Indiana,
graduating in 1888 from that institution of learning.

Immediately upon his graduation he began to teach school, in the
summer seasons spending his vacations in the study of law, in which he
was ambitious to rise, and which efforts his later career have fully and
amply justified. He studied under the tutelage of Barnes & Ramsey, of
Louisville, Illinois, and his labors were so well expended and his instruc-
tion of so high an order that in 1890 he was admitted to the bar. He
began the practice of his profession in 1891, his only resources being
his health, brains, education and his dominant will to succeed, while
his liabilities were fairly represented by a debt of one hundred dollars
incurred in opening an office. He first entered a partnership with John
A. Barnes, this alliance continuing until 1896 ; his next partner was
John R. Bonnie and this arrangement endured for two years, when he
entered a partnership with W. H. Dillman. Some time later he severed
his connection with Mr. Dillman and entered a partnership with Mr.
H. D. McCullum, which continued until the election of Mr. Rose to the
office of circuit judge of the Fourth judicial district, in November, 1906,
of which important office he is still the incumbent. Judge Rose has
always been an enthusiastic Democrat and a supporter of any ticket
that party puts in the field. He is a Mason and a Red Man, and with his
family is a member of the Christian church. In addition to his legal
duties, Judge Rose is the owner of a fine farm in Clay county, which is
in every way a credit to the progressiveness and good judgment of the
man from the point of view of its prosperity and its well kept ap-
pearance.

On December 28, 1892, Judge Rose was united in marriage with Miss
Lulua Branson, daughter of James M. Branson, M. D., who was promi-
nent for years in medical circles in Wayne county, Illinois, where he
enjoyed a. goodly measure of prosperity and popularity. He died in
1898, at his home in "Wayne city. One son has been born to the union of



1536 HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

Judge and Mrs. Rose, Robley, born July 13, 1894, now a student in the
Louisville high school.

JOHN B. McGuYER, one of the most successful and highly esteemed
citizens of Akin, prominent in banking and business circles and a self-
made man, has proven by a long and honorable career that it is not neces-
sary for a youth to have financial advantages or the help of influential
friends to give him his start in the commercial or financial world, but
that industry, integrity and perseverance, when directed along the right
channels, will invariably bring success. He was born in Kentucky, De-
cember 3, 1863, and is a son of William D. and Kelita (Sharp) McGuyer.

William McGuyer, grandfather of John B., was a farmer in Bedford
county, Tennessee, where he spent his life, and from whence William D.
McGuyer came to Illinois in 1868 and settled on a farm in Hamilton
county. He followed farming throughout his life, won success in his
undertakings, and at the time of his death, in 1907, left a good property,
on which his widow, also a native of Bedford county, Tennessee, and a
faithful member of the Baptist church, now resides.

John B. McGuyer received his education in the common schools of
Hamilton county, and it was the intention of his father to rear him to
agricultural pursuits. The son, however, had ambitions to enter the
mercantile field, and in 1890 secured a position in the store of H. C. Vise,
with whom he remained fourteen years. At the end of this time, through
careful economy and industry, he had accumulated enough means to
enter the business field on his own account, and subsequently bought the
stock and fixtures of W. S. Mouse, successfully conducting that estab-
lishment until 1908, at which time he sold out to the Akin Mercantile
Company. During the next year he went to West Franklin and engaged
in a clothing business, but in 1910 moved to Macedonia, where he is
interested in the same line with Mr. Vise. In June, 1910, Mr. McGuyer
assisted in establishing the Farmers Exchange Bank of Akin, of which
he was elected cashier and in which he is a heavy stockholder. This insti-
tution, one of the substantial and reliable banks of this section of the
state, was capitalized at ten thousand dollars, and has average annual
deposits of thirty -five thousand dollars. He also holds stock in the Bank
of Macedonia, and is the proprietor of a flourishing hardware business at
Akin. In his fraternal affiliations he is a prominent Mason, having
served as master of Royal Lodge, No. 807, A. F. & A. M., at Macedonia,
and also belongs to H. W. Hubbard Chapter, No. 160, R. A. M., at Mount
Vernon. Mr. McGuyer 's belief in the future of this section of the state
has been shown by his investment in various pieces of valuable real
estate, and he is the owner of an excellent farming property in
Hamilton county. In his fraternal and social connections, as well as in
business, he has surrounded himself with numerous acquaintances
throughout the city and the county, and in honest opinion of so honorable
a man to the community it can be stated, without the slightest fear of
contradiction, that his loss would be a severe blow to the business in-
terests of the city and to his scores of friends.

PRESLEY G. BRADBURY. Many people who believe that a thorough
reform in our governmental and public affairs is necessary agree with
Shakespeare, "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." They
may not be quite so blood-thirsty as this, but they have an idea that the
world might be better off without them. If such people could know the
real true lawyers among whom is found Presley G. Bradbury, they might
at least censure such opinions, for he believes and impresses all who know
him as a lawyer that justice is something more than a name. Mr. Brad-



rt UBRMJ

OF THE
HSVEHSITY OF \I



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1537

bury shows by his work and deeds that no real lawyer has to descend to
the trickery and wiliness that is sometimes associated with the men of his
profession, especially if they deal with criminal case's. That a success-
ful practice can be built up by honest means he has proved overwhelm-
ingly, for he is one of the best known lawyers in the state. But he
possesses a brilliant mind, the ability to draw deductions and to reason
things out logically, the power of presenting a case simply and force-
fully, and a personality that dominates any court room. Mr. Brad-
bury, therefore, is a man who has the high regard of all who have come
in contact with him, and in his own county is loved and venerated not
only in his public capacity but as a man among men.

Presley G. Bradbury was born in Crawford county, Illinois, on
the 6th of October, 1847. He was the son of John S. Bradbury, who
was born in North Carolina on the 17th of August, 1822. His parents
were farmers and their little place was near Rolla, North Carolina.
Here John Bradbury spent the first six years of his life, and then his
parents, John and Mary Bradbury, decided to go west. They had a
small cart with one horse, and piling this with the pots and pans and
feather beds, the family set out, ignorant of what dangers they would
encounter on the way, indeed not even knowing their destination, only
knowing that somewhere in the great prairie country to the westward
they were going to find a place where the land cost nothing and where
with industry they could bring up their family of six children. The
mother had the seat of honor on the cart but the rest of the family
walked. The short fat legs of little John, who was the youngest, found
the way a weary one, but the old horse did not travel very rapidly,
and occasionally John would have a short ride alongside his mother. The
little fellow preferred to trudge along with his hand in his father's,
for was he not almost a man. This was in 1828, and they finally came
to the end of their journey and found a resting place near West York,
in the northwestern part of Crawford county. Here the father spent
the rest of his days, following the busy life of a pioneer farmer. He
did not live very long after coming to Illinois, however.

John Bradbury followed his father's example and became a farmer.
He became a man of great prominence in the community, and at the
time of his death was about the oldest resident in the township of
Hutsonville. He was affectionately known all over the county as
"Uncle" John Bradbury, and to quote another's words, "Of him it
can be truly said that never during his long and active life did he
cause a widow to mourn or an orphan 's tear to fall. ' ' At the time of
his death he was worth about $25,000. He died in 1910, on the 1st
of April. John Bradbury was twice married, his first wife being Jemima
Buckner, who died after seven years of married life, leaving three chil-
dren: Catherine, who is now the wife of Harper Reynolds; Presley
G. ; and James L., a merchant at Graysville, Illinois. His second mar-
riage was to Nancy Huckaby, who died in 1906. By this second mar-
riage Mr. and Mrs. Bradbury became the parents of ten children,
Andrew ; John ; George ; Aurora ; Willis ; Albert, who is deceased ;
Alice ; Nannie ; and Laura and Milam. both of whom are dead.

The early life of Presley G. Bradbury was spent on the farm near
West York where he was born. His introduction to the school room
came to him in the school at York, and he completed the course offered
in the common schools of his day. He then began teaching, and for
seven years followed this profession. We now think of a boy with
his education as a mere infant, but he proved perfectly well able to
handle his pupils. He was not content with the amount of knowledge
he had, and so while he was teaching he attended several terms at the



1538 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

state normal schools at Bloomington and Carbondale. In this way he
acquired a good education, and was made county superintendent of
schools in 1873. Meanwhile, after his day's work in the school room
was over, he had been spending the rest of the time poring over law
books. He had the great advantage of having as a preceptor Judge
Robb, who was considered one of the ablest lawyers in the state. He
was admitted to the bar in 1876, and resigned his position as superin-
tendent of schools to take that of state's attorney. He began to prac-
tice as a partner of Judge Robb's, and this partnership lasted until the
death of Judge Robb in 1890, on the 10th of February. This partner-
ship was of great benefit to Mr. Bradbury, for the older practioner
not only had had a wide experience, but he had a splendid character,
and had much to do with forming those high ideals for which Mr.
Bradbury is well known. Mr. Bradbury held the office of state's at-
torney for two consecutive terms. After the death of Judge Robb he
took F. W. Lewis, who had been a student in his office, into partner-
ship. This association lasted for two years, until Mr. Lewis was elected
state 's attorney. In the spring of 1893 Mr. Bradbury formed a part-
nership with Joseph A. MeHatton, and this connection continued until
1908, when it was dissolved by mutual consent. Until 1909 Mr. Brad-
bury practiced alone, and then he formed a partnership with Duane
Gaines that has lasted up to the present time. For four years Mr.
Bradbury served as master in chancery under Judge W. C. Jones.

Mr. Bradbury is an enthusiastic politician and a strong supporter
of the Democratic party. He has frequently made political speeches,
but he does not care for the prizes to be found in the political ring,
preferring to do the work and let others have the plums. In his re-
ligious affiliations he is a Presbyterian and has been an elder in the
church for a number of years. He is an active member of the Ancient
Free and Accepted Masons, of which order he has been a member since
1871, and he is a charter member of the Knights of Pythias in the
Robinson lodge.

Mr. Bradbury was married on the 31st of December, 1879, to Jennie
Kelly, of Sullivan, Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Bradbury have five chil-
dren, the eldest of whom, John Landis, is dead. The others are :
Frances C., who was married in September, 1910, to A. J. Goff of
Robinson, Illinois; Palmer G., who is living at home; William E., who
has recently graduated from the high school at Robinson; and James
Stanley, as yet in the public school.

JOEL DUNN. Undoubtedly there has been no more important agency
in the development of any country than the great work done through
civil engineering, and the men who have possessed the judgment and
foresight, combined with the necessary technical knowledge, have accomp-
lished results that have changed the life and commerce of not only lo-
calities but of nations. No reference need be made in this connection
to the lately completed Roosevelt Dam, nor of the present stupendous
operations at Panama, for much nearer home changes have been wrought
that have proved of the utmost importance to present and future resi-
dents of Illinois, and those who have brought them about still live and
plan worthily for further endeavor. Joel Dunn, who is acknowledged to
have done very much efficient work, in the way of drainage engineering,
is one of the competent, experienced and trusted men of his profession.
He was born January 20, 1846, near Lovington, in Moultrie county, Illi-
nois, and is a son of Thomas and Catherine (Freeman) Dunn.

Thomas Dunn was born in 1813 at Clarksville, Indiana, of Kentucky
people, although on the maternal side the ancestry was directly of Hoi-



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1539

land. On account of the early death of his father, Thomas Dunn was
reared by his grandfather and in 1833 he came to Moultrie county, Illi-
nois, where he embarked in the stock business and engaged in farming.
In 1859 he moved to Bement, Piatt county, entering then into the general
mercantile business, which he continued to follow until he retired, his
death occurring ten years af terward, in 1878. He was a Democrat in poli-
tics and as an intelligent man was always more or less interested in public
matters. He was an elder in the Campbellite (Christian) church. In
1843 he married Catherine Freeman, of Moultrie county, who died in
May, 1907, at the age of eighty-three years. Of their family of ten
children there are three survivors: Joel; Mrs. Betty Kelly, residing at
Ann Arbor, Michigan; and Mrs. James Hicks, residing at Monticello,
Illinois.

Joel Dunn was thirteen years of age when the family located at Be-
ment, Illinois, where he continued to attend the public schools until
properly prepared for more advanced studies, when he entered Eureka
College, at Eureka, Illinois, where he was graduated in 1871, with the
degree of B. S. For two years afterward he engaged in the study of law
and practiced considerably in the justice courts, for eight years was a
school teacher and for two years was a farmer, and just here it may be
mentioned that he owns a large farm in Jackson county to which he
proposes to retire when he feels satisfied with the work he has completed
as an engineer. About 1885 he began working as a drainage engineer in
central Illinois and it was Mr. Dunn who made the surveys for the
greater amount of ditching in the northern part of the Kaskakia valley.
During the past dozen years he has been continuously busy in Scott and
New Madrid counties, Missouri, his present labors being in Jackson
county as the engineer of the Degoria & Fountain Bluff Levee and Drain-
age district.

In 1876 Mr. Dunn was married to Miss Josephine Smith, and they
had three children, as follows: Joel Ernest, who was born in 1879,
graduated from the University of Illinois, with his degree of C. E., and
resides at Dexter, Missouri ; Thomas, who was born in 1886, is also a
civil engineer and is his father's assistant, living at Fordyce; and Eu-
genia, who is Mrs. B. D. Berkhart, residing at Gideon, Missouri. Mr.
Dunn's second marriage was to Mrs. Mary E. Lyon. They attend the
Christian church. In politics Mr. Dunn is a Democrat.

JOHN B. HARPER. The owner of one of the best farms of its size in
Johnson county is John B. Harper, of section 15, Bloomfield township,
who for forty years has been carrying on operations on the same tract
and who is widely and favorably known among the agriculturists of this
section. He has been a witness of the marvelous development of John-
son county, and has participated in the changes that have brought this
locality from a practical wilderness into one of the garden spots of the
state. Mr. Harper was born October 27, 1848, on a farm in the state of
Alabama, and is a son of Jesse and Leannah (Busby) Harper, natives
of that state.

Mr. Harper's mother died during the same year that he was born,
and his father migrated to Johnson county, Illinois in 1852, settling near
old Reynoldsburg. Shortly thereafter, however he went to Arkansas, and
it is probable that he died there, as all trace of him was lost. Mr.
Harper's only sister. Mrs. Leannah Elizabeth Birdwell, died in 1899, in
Johnson county. His uncle. "W. E. Harper, fought during the Civil
war. enlisting at Eldorado, Saline county, as a member of the Third
Illinois Cavalry. After the death of his mother Mr. Harper was reared
by his grandparents, John and Betsy (Gocher) Harper, who migrated



1540 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

to Johnson county in 1852 and settled on a farm of forty acres, pur-
chased under the ' ' bit " act, at twelve and one-half cents an acre. Later
they sold this property and settled in Saline county, near Eldorado,
where they continue to reside until their deaths, in 1862. Mr. Harper
continued to reside with his grandparents as long as they lived, and then
hired out as a farm hand in White county for two years. Locating
then in Williamson county, he secured employment in a livery stable,
but in 1865 came to Johnson county and again took up farm work,
continuing to be thus employed until 1870, at which time he was mar-
ried. He then began operations on his own account on his present farm,
a tract of eighty acres located about three and one-half miles north of
Vienna. This farm, which is second bottom land, with five springs, is
highly productive, and Mr. Harper has raised eight hundred bushels of
corn on thirty acres, with wheat and other farm products in comparison.
A skilled agriculturist who believes in using modern methods, he has
been very successful in his work, and the prosperous appearance of his
farm testifies to the presence of able management. Each year has found
him adding to the buildings and improvements on his land, his stock is
of the best grade, and his farming machinery is of the latest and most
highly-improved manufacture. Although he has reached the time of life
when most men are willing to retire and shift their burdens to the shoul-
ders of younger men, Mr. Harper is still hale and hearty, and fully able
to do as large a part of the farm work as he was years ago. Having
led a clean, temperate life, he has never known a day's sickness, and has
reared. a healthy, intelligent family of children. Mr. Harper has never
cared for public office, but has discharged his duties as a good citizen by
serving his township as school director and trustee.

In 1870 Mr. Harper was married to Miss Sarah A. Cooper, daugh-
ter of John and Betsy (Harrold) Cooper, who came to Johnson county
at an early day from North Carolina and took up government land. Six
children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Harper, as follows : Mrs. Lean-
nah Elizabeth Taylor, who has five children, Lloyd, Blanche, Lee and
Lawrence, twins, and Sarah ; Martha Adeline Clayton, who has three chil-



Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 70 of 98)