Copyright
George Washington Smith.

A history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) online

. (page 78 of 98)
Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 78 of 98)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


one of seven children born to these estimable citizens, as follows: Wil-
liam, an agriculturist ; Edward, engaged in agriculture in the vicinity of
Browns; Mary (Spencer) residing on a farm near Grayville; George,
whose homestead farm is situated not far from Albion; Fred, in busi-
ness at Grayville; Clyde, located at Whittier, California; and Allen E.

Mr. Walker gained his first draughts at the fountain of knowledge in
the public schools of Edwards county and desiring to obtain a higher
education, matriculated in the Southern Collegiate Institute, and followed
his studies there with a course in the Normal College at Charleston.
Meantime he devoted vacation time to farming and is very familiar with
the many secrets of seed-time and harvest. In 1903 he began teaching,
being employed as instructor in the common schools for some two years,
and following that with two years as instructor in the grammar depart-
ment of the Grayville school. He was then elected principal of the public
schools of Browns. In the summer of 1908 he became a candidate for
circuit clerk on the Republican ticket and was elected in the fall of that
year for a term of four years and has given a favorable "taste of his
quality. ' ' As mentioned, he is a leader in Republican party counsels and
for the past two and one-half years has been chairman of the Republican
county committee.

Mr. Walker is a very prominent lodge man, being by nature of suf-
ficient social proclivity to take much pleasure in affiliation with his fel-
low men. He is a Mason, belonging to Hermitage Lodge, No. 356, and
exemplifies in his own living the ideals of moral and social justice and
brotherly love for which the order stands. He is also connected with the
Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the
latter of Mt. Carmel. He attends the Presbyterian church.

LLOYD F. VOYLES. One of the representative men of this section is
Lloyd F. Voyles, who is engaged in the real estate, insurance and loan



1586 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

business, his operations in this field being extensive and successful. He
has made his own way unaided and is one of those valiant people who
have triumphed over adverse conditions and pressed forward to the goal
of a large and worthy success. He is in a most significant sense a self-
made man and integrity and honor have characterized him in all the
relations of life. He is now a considerable property owner and is prepar-
ing to practice law.

Mr. Voyles was born on a farm in Edwards county, March 28, 1871,
the son of John Voyles. The father, a farmer by occupation, was born
in Kentucky, in 1845, but located in Edwards county in 1865, and now
is living practically retired in Bone Gap. He married Mary Elizabeth
McDowell, a native of Virginia, and a daughter of Samuel McDowell.
These worthy people became the parents of five children. The eldest,
Edwin, died in infancy previous to the coming of the family to Indiana ;
Ellen is deceased ; William is located at Shawneetown ; Lloyd F., is next
in order of birth ; and the youngest member of the family, Cordelia, is
the wife of J. W. Elliot and resides in Danville.

Mr. Voyles passed the roseate days of youth upon his father's farm
and assisted the older man in the farm work of which there is ever a
super abundance. He remained beneath the paternal roof-tree until he
attained the age of twenty years, but his ambitions did not lie in the
line of agriculture and at the age mentioned he secured a position in a
local store and earned money to support him while he attended the Bone
Gap school. Subsequently he passed the teachers' examination and was
granted a teacher's certificate. His early advantages had been meagre
indeed and the circumstances of the family had made it impossible for
him to obtain even the ordinary common schooling. So greatly did he de-
sire an education, however, that he attended school at the age of twenty-
three years. He is a constant student and has acquired outside the school
room a splendid fund of knowledge and is to ail intents and purposes a
well-educated man. For the past eight years he has been devoting his
spare time to reading law and practicing in the justice 's court. Previous
to opening his real estate business in January, 1900, he clerked in local
stores. He has been wonderfully successful in the real estate business
and represents five of the most important insurance companies, doing a
large and constantly widening business, and handling loans in addition
to the rest. He has a fine farm of eighty acres very near Bone Gap and
also has some valuable town property, consisting of an advantageously
situated business building and a most desirable residence property.

Mr. Voyles has for a number of years been prominent in public af-
fairs. In politics he subscribes to the articles of faith of the Democratic
party and his word is of weight in party councils. He is both precinct
and senatorial committeeman. He has served three terms as justice of
the peace of Bone Gap township, having been first elected in 1900, and
twice reelected. He has ever proved remarkably faithful to public re-
sponsibility and is public-spirited and helpful in all measures directed
towards the public welfare. He is a member of the Christian church.

Mr. Voyles was married January 3, 1899, the lady to become his wife
being Lura B. Melrose, of Bone Gap, daughter of Gibson Melrose. They
share their pleasant home with one son, Jennings.

WALTER COLTER. A typical American citizen who has made the
most of his opportunities is Walter Colyer, of Albion, secretary of that
large and important industrial concern, the Albion Shale Brick com-
pany, as well as a former journalist and a man of influence. In addition
to his other distinctions he comes of pioneer stock in Southern Illinois,
and is one of Edwards county's leading Republicans.



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1587

Mr. Colyer is a native son of this county, his eyes having first opened
to the light of day on July 19, 1856, four and a half miles north of Albion
on the farm of his father, William Colyer. The father was born in 1822
and his elder sister, Eliza, wife of George Bunting, was the second white
child and the first girl born in the Edwards county settlement. William
Colyer was the son of Edward Colyer, a native of County Surrey, Eng-
land, and he was one of the original settlers of this section, being a mem-
ber of the British colony headed by Flower and Birkbeck, who located
on English Prairie in the year 1817, founding Albion the following year.
This stanch pioneer was a farmer by occupation and his brother, John,
built the first brick house in New Albany, Indiana. There were a number
of brothers and sisters, one, William, going south and taking up his
residence in Indiana. Edward's sister, Sarah Colyer, became the mother
of F. W. Farrar, the famous English author and clergyman.

William Colyer married Sarah Hardy, the daughter of Jonas Hardy
of English birth, who came from Leeds, England, and on arriving in
this country, located first in Pennsylvania and came to Albion in 1836.
William reared two children, Morris and Walter of this review. William
journeyed to the Undiscovered Country on February 16, 1909, and his
good wife preceded him on October 31, 1907, her years exceeding the
psalmist's alotment by eleven years and five months. The Colyers have
ever been known for a high type of citizenship and it was such as they
who laid the paths straight and clean for the progress of civilization in
Edwards county.

Walter Colyer received the education provided by the public schools.
At an early period in his youth he exhibited an aptitude as a writer, and
in 1880, in association with Fred Applegath, he purchased the American
Sentinel, this being his first adventure in the realm of the Fourth Estate
with which he was to be identified for some quarter century. Other
papers with which he was identified were the Albion News, the Edwards
County News and the Albion Journal with which he retired from the
field. The last named he first published in association with M. B. Harris,
beginning March 14, 1884, two years later buying out Mr. Harris and
for sixteen years publishing the paper himself. In 1900 he sold the
paper to A. H. Bowman and on February 25, 1903, he organized and
became president of the Albion Journal Company and continued in such
capacity for several years. He exerted a very definite influence in this
important field of newspaper work and through his ably conducted col-
umns assisted in bringing about much of benefit to the community. Mr.
Colyer has ever been a stanch adherent of the men and measures of the
Grand Old Party and has a record behind him of fourteen years as
postmaster, under the administration of Harrison, Cleveland, McKinley
and Roosevelt, these terms, however, not being continuous, and five and
one-half months being under President Cleveland. During his editorial
career he was a member of the Republican Editorial Association and he
served as a delegate to the convention in 1896 which nominated Presi-
dent McKinley. He has at times been identified with agriculture and
for several years was engaged in fruit-growing. He is a man of ver-
satility and success has usually crowned any undertaking in which he has
been a leader.

In 1902, Mr. Colyer assisted in organizing the Albion Brick Company
and for five years served as secretary and salesman of this thriving con-
cern. He has also been engaged in the land business in Mexico and has
ten times toured Mexico and in that interesting country sold over five
thousand acres of land and at present is interested in large holdings
there. He is president of the Tamesi Plantation Company. However,
one of his leading interests is a local one, namely : the Shale Brick Com-



1583 HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

pany, which was organized February 21, 1910, with a capital of two
hundred thousand dollars, and a capacity of one hundred thousand ten
pound blocks per each ten hour day. This bids fair to become the most
complete and modern brick plant in the United States and well known
capitalists from several states are interested financially in its fortunes.
L. L. Emerson, of Mt. Vernon, is president of the company.

Mr. Colyer holds membership in the Knights of Pythias, of Albion,
and the B. P. O. E. of Mt. Carmel. He is director of the State Historical
Society and for several years has been a member of the publication com-
mittee of the same. He has contributed historical articles of great value
to various magazines and to the state publications. He has, in fact, a
reputation as an author and historian and he is well-informed as to arch-
eological research in Mexico and has written on that subject with author-
ity. He is a man of financial standing and one of Albion 's most repre-
sentative and influential citizens.

S. EUGENE QUINDRY. Among the younger set of steadily advancing
business men of Edwards county, S. Eugene Quindry, states attorney for
his county and one time editor of one of the popular publications in Al-
bion, takes a prominent place, and is eminently deserving of mention in
a history dedicated to Southern Illinois and its leading citizens. From
the beginning of his career Mr. Quindry has displayed qualities of tact,
integrity and business sagacity which have been guarantees of a success-
ful future to all who have noted his daily life, and since he turned his
attention to the law, his progress has been most pleasing.

Born on January 12, 1880, on a farm in White county, Illinois, S.
Eugene Quindry is the son of Alphonse Quindry and his wife, Augusta
(Hunsinger) Quindry. The father was a native of France, born in
Paris in 1849, and was the son of Joseph and Josephine Quindry. Jos-
eph Quindry was a brickmaker and manufacturer and was the owner of
a factory in Paris. He had two sons, Alphonse and John, who emigrated
to America in about 1870 when they were still in their early manhood.
The brothers settled first in Indiana, and there John Quindry remained,
but Alphonse, after a brief stay there, moved into White county, Illi-
nois. When at home in Paris the young man had been employed in a
telescope factory in that city, but on settling in Illinois he secured a
piece of land and gave himself up to the business of farming, to which
he devoted the remainder of his life, and in which business he was ex-
traordinarily successful. Although he possessed practically nothing
when he began life on his farm, he prospered with the advancing years,
and when he died in 1889 he was the owner of two hundred and ninety
acres of valuable Illinois farm land, with all the appurtenances thereto.
His wife, who was a native of White county, was a member of one of
the largest and best known families in that section of the country. She
was the daughter of Jacob and Mary Hunsinger, and she was born in
1848. She is still living on the old homestead in White county, where
their seven children were reared, and where some of them still live.
The daughter, Josephine, died at the age of eighteen years; John, mar-
ried and is living in Arkansas; S. Eugene, is the third born; Flora is
the wife of George Simpson, of Wayne, a supervisor of Wayne county ;
Charles remains on the old home place, and looks after the farm and home
and cares for the mother ; Ella died in childhood. Thus five of the seven
born to her still remain to brighten the closing years of the life of this
worthy mother, and all are leading lives of usefulness and reflect naught
but honor upon the good old name they bear.

All received good school advantages, and S. Eugene, after finishing
his work in the common schools of his home town, entered the Southern



t LIBRIRT
3FTHE
OF ILUUX




_J

W
PL,
O
u



CO




PL,
O

u

PL,'



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1589

Collegiate Institute of Albion, and later attended the University of Mis-
souri at Columbia, Missouri. For some little time thereafter he was
engaged in bookkeeping and mercantile pursuits in various places, and
it- was not until 1904 that he decided on a different field of activity and
purchased the Carmi Times, which he owned and edited for two years.
At the end of that time he sold out the paper and bought an interest in
the Albion Journal, of which he was the editor for one year. During the
three years of his newspaper work, Mr. Quindry had been making good
use of his time by studying law under able preceptorship, and in 1907,
when he severed his connection with the Journal, he was admitted to
the bar and immediately took up the practice of his profession in Al-
bion. He began practice in October of 1907, and in November, 1908,
had so far advanced professionally and with the public that he was
elected to the office of states attorney. Mr. Quindry is a member of a
number of fraternal organizations, chief among them being the Masons,
the Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen.
He is a member of the Christian church.

In 1905 Mr. Quindry was married to Miss Constance Coles, a daugh-
ter of Frank Coles, Sr. Two children have been born to them, Frank
and Leland.

DR. ERNEST E. BOKWE, since 1905 a practicing dentist in West Salem,
is a native product of Edwards county, born in West Salem, July 1,
1885. He is the son of Christian and Mary Louise (Knust) Boewe,
Christian Boewe was born in Germany on the sixteenth of July, 1836,
and emigrated to America in 1866, when he settled in Edwards county
on a farm of 256 acres, near West Salem. It was after locating here
that he married Miss Knust, who like himself, was a native of Germany.
The father died on April 17, 1911, although the mother still lives. Thir-
teen children were born to them, of which number six are yet living.
Six died in infancy and Amos, a son, died after reaching the age of
nineteen years. The others are : Rudolph, a resident of Waukesha, Wis-
consin ; Helena, living at Crandon, Wisconsin ; Mrs. Carrie Rothrock,
of Alturas, Florida; Ernest F., of West Salem; Herbert J. and Albert
M. of Bone Gap, Illinois.

.Ernest F. Boewe attended the West Salem schools in his boyhood
and youth, at the age of eighteen entering the St. Louis Dental College,
now the Dental Department of the St. Louis University. He was gradu-
ated from that institution on May 6, 1905, after which he initiated active
practice in Albion, remaining there but four months. He then located in
West Salem, which appeared a desirable location to him, and the suc-
cess he has attained there in the ensuing years has amply verified his
judgment in that respect. Dr. Boewe is a thorough master of his pro-
fession and has acquired a reputation for skill and ability which is fast
placing him in the front ranks of the dentists of the day. Fortune has
smiled upon him in a financial way and he has come to be the owner of
a tract of land in Florida and a half interest in the neighborhood of
eleven hundred acres, in the same state.

Fraternally the doctor is a member of the Odd Fellows and the
Masons, as well as the supreme chapter of the Delta Sigma Delta, his
college fraternity. He is a Republican, and a member of the Moravian
church. On March 28, 1908, Dr. Boewe was united in marriage with
Bernice Helen Luther, the daughter of John M. Luther. One son has
been born to them, Howard Luther Boewe.

JAMES P. COPELAND. It has been said in criticism of the modern
newspaper that its editorial beliefs are frequently controlled from the



1590 HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

business office, or at least dictated by the exigencies of the business sit-
uation. In this connection also the identity of the editor himself is
becoming more and more obscure as the number of the pages and the
size of the news headlines grow larger together. An exponent of the
older school of journalism, and what many of us prefer to regard as
the truer school, may be found at Marion, Illinois, in the person of
James P. Copeland, who for many years was actively identified with
the journalistic profession of Williamson county. He entered the pro-
fession when the "art preservative" and the "Fourth Estate" went
hand in hand, when, in fact, the editor had to know all about the
printer's craft as well as to be able to wield a facile pen. The pioneer
in the publication of a permanent Republican newspaper, he applied
his energies, and his courage, too, at times, to the crystallization of
Republican sentiment into a party organization which won victories
and became a stable factor in support of both state and national organi-
zations of the party. Having served his party well and grown old in a
calling which demands the best and most constant efforts of the human
brain, he seized upon an opportunity to retire, and is spending his time
now in the quieter, if less remunerative occupation of floriculture and
gardening.

Mr. Copeland was born in Vienna, Illinois, September 24, 1845, the
son of Judge Samuel Copeland, whose father, John Copeland, came to
Illinois during the territorial days and settled in Johnson county, soon
thereafter moving into Massac county, where he died on the Copeland
farm there. He was born in Virginia on September 30, 1775, and when
he came to Illinois from Tennessee, where he had spent some years, he
brought his slaves with him. He was married in Sumner county, Tenn-
essee, to Sarah Short, of Kentucky, and migrated to Illinois in 1816,
settling near Vienna. Mr. Copeland taught in the first schoolhouse
ever erected in Vienna, it was a crude log affair, and in various ways
his life in that community was an active one up to his last days. He was
the nominee of the slave-holding party as delegate to the constitutional
convention for his district at one time, and he was always prominent in
local politics. He passed away on January 2, 1853, his wife having
preceded him on June 24, 1849. They were the parents of nine chil-
dren : James, who was once a member of the Illinois General Assembly ;
Sarah, who died as the wife of John Cooper; John, who was a farmer
in Pulaski county ; Joshua, who also engaged in farming and left a
family in Massac county when he died ; Isaac ; Jane, who married J. B.
Maybury; Alfred; Louisa, who married W. J. Simpson; and Samuel.

Judge Samuel Copeland was a mere child when he accompanied his
father from Tennessee to Southern Illinois. He received such educa-
tion as the neighborhood in which he was reared afforded, and he spent
the earlier years of his young manhood on the farm, entering from
that work into active political pursuits. He was chosen frequently by
the Democratic party as an officer of Johnson county, holding variously
the offices of sheriff, clerk and county judge, passing away while hold-
ing the latter named office. He was a Union man, and abandoned his
old party in 1861 to embrace the principles of Republicanism, and died
in that faith. His wife, whose maiden name was Sarah Allen, died at
the age of forty-three years. Their children were: Allen, who left
a son, now in business in Cedar Vale, Kansas, at his death ; Perry, who
died in Massac county, Illinois, leaving a family there; Mary, who be-
came the wife of Alex McLain and died at Vienna, Illinois; Prances,
who died unmarried; Samuel, who died in Massac county; Richard, a
resident of Johnson county; James P., of Marion Illinois; DeWitt C.,
of Barlow, Kentucky; and two others who died in infancy, Harriet



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1591

and J. M. In later years Judge Copeland contracted a second marriage,
taking for his wife Mrs. Lucinda Fisher, the two children of their union
being Alonzo, of Missouri, and Louisa, the wife of one Mr. Pierce, of
Baxter Springs, Kansas.

In 1859 James P. Copeland began work in the office of the Johnson
County Enquirer, the first paper printed in the county, with J. D.
Moody as editor. He held this position until the following year, when
he left Vienna to accept a place on the Union Democrat at Anna, Illi-
nois, and he remained there until the beginning of the Civil war. When
troops were called for he enlisted in Company E, Sixtieth Illinois Regi-
ment of Infantry, mustered into the United States service at Anna,
Illinois. The regiment reported for duty at Cairo and was soon ordered
to Island No. 10, where it was attached to General Pope 's command.

After Island No. 10 and New Madrid were taken, General Pope with
his division was ordered to report to General Grant at Shiloh for duty.
In the siege of Corinth, Pope commanded the left wing of the army,
defeating the Rebels at Farmington, Mississippi, before Corinth. When
Corinth was taken a division of the army was made and the Sixtieth
Illinois was assigned to the Army of the Ohio, in General Palmer's com-
mand, and this division went to Tuscumbia, Alabama, thence to Nash-
ville, Tennessee. There it participated in the rout of the enemy in an
effort made to capture the capital city, which at that time was held
by General Negley's command.

In November, 1862, after the battle of Perryville, Kentucky, General
Rosencrans succeeded General Buel in command of the Ohio and another
organization was made and known as the Army of the Cumberland. In
this command the regiment was attached to the Fourth Corps and after
the battle of Stone River was sent to the right wing and held that posi-
tion during the Tullahoma, Chickamauga and Chattanooga campaign.
At Chattanooga the army was again reorganized and the regiment and
brigade with which it served were First Brigade, Second Division, Four-
teenth Army Corps, and in that command served until the close of the
war.

After the battles of Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge and
the march to relieve Burnside at Knoxville, Tennessee, the regiment
went into camp January 2, 1864, at Rossville, Georgia. In February, it
re-enlisted and was sent home for thirty days' rest and for recruiting
purposes. Before starting home it was engaged in the first battle of
Buzzard Roost, Georgia, February 26, 1864. In May, 1864, the second
day, the command moved out on the Atlanta campaign. On the Dalton
road the Sixtieth Illinois was in advance and met the outpost of the
enemy at Ringgold, Georgia, pressing them back over Taylor's Ridge
toward Tunnel Hill. Here the real service of the campaign began and
the Sixtieth Illinois in that campaign saw service at Buzzard Roost,
Resaca, Ezra Church or Burnt Hickory, Kenesaw Mountain, Marietta,
Peachtree Creek, Jonesboro, and many other less important actions.

In all these engagements Mr. Copeland did his full part. Enlist-
ing as a private, he was promoted to non-commissioned offices until June,
1863, when he was commissioned lieutenant, and held that rank when



Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 78 of 98)