Copyright
George Washington Smith.

A history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) online

. (page 80 of 98)
Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 80 of 98)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


also own in partnership a valuable stock farm of ninety acres situated
in the vicinity of Albion and they devote one hundred and twenty acres
in Wabash county also to stock raising.

This progressive business man is affiliated with two lodges, his name
being enrolled with the Knights of Pythias of Albion and the Benevo-
lent and Protective Order of Elks of Mt. Carmel. He gives heart and
hand to the policies and principles of the Republican party to which he
has given his loyal support since the attainment of his majority. He has
from time to time assisted in the direction of public affairs, having
served on the city board of aldermen, when he exerted a potent influ-
ence toward the paving of the streets of Albion. He is a member of the
Presbyterian church.

Mr. Wilson became a recruit to the ranks of the Benedicts on Novem-
ber 22, 1911, his chosen lady being Agnes Petty, daughter of A. J. Petty,
of Baltimore, Maryland. Mrs. Wilson had been a resident of Albion
for several years previous to her marriage. They maintain a hospitable
home and are popular members of society.

It was of such personalities as the late Edwin J. Wilson, brother of
the foregoing, that it has been said,

"To live in hearts we leave behind
Is not to die. ' '

This respected citizen served for two terms as circuit clerk and recorder
of Edwards county, being elected for the first time in the fall of 1890
and being the youngest official ever elected in this county. At the time
of his lamentable demise he was assistant cashier of the First National
Bank of Albion. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias and Odd
Fellows and attended the Presbyterian church. He was everywhere
highly regarded and his memory will long remain green in the hearts
of his many friends. The father of these gentlemen was twice mayor
of Albion and now resides in this place, a wealthy and respected citizen.

PROF. LEWIS OGILVIE. A fortunate example of the right man in the
right place is Prof. Lewis Ogilvie, who is making an excellent record
as superintendent of the Albion schools. No one is better entitled to
the thoughtful consideration of a free and enlightened people than he
who shapes and directs the minds of the young, and adds to the value
of their intellectual treasures and moulds their characters. This is pre-
eminently the mission of the faithful and conscientious teacher and to
such noble work is the life of Professor Ogilvie devoted.



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1599

Professor Ogilvie was born April 10, 1874, in Plymouth, Illinois, the
son of William F. Ogilvie, a native of Ohio, and the grandson of William
Ogilvie, a native of Scotland, who left his native heath in early life and
crossed the Atlantic in quest of the much vaunted American opportunity.
He soon came westward to Illinois, locating first in Schuyler county and
in 1833 taking up his residence near Carthage in Hancock county. His
son, William F. Ogilvie, was born on his Hancock county homestead in
1842 and when it came to choosing a life-work he followed in the pater-
nal footsteps and became an exponent of the great basic industry of ag-
riculture. He now resides in Plymouth and is a prominent and highly
respected citizen. He chose as his companion in life's journey Mary A.
Bell, daughter of Jesse Bell of Hancock and four children were born to
them, Lewis being the eldest in nativity ; Lida, the only daughter, is de-
ceased ; Guy resides in Bushnell, Illinois ; and William T. is deceased.

Professor Ogilvie received his preliminary education in the schools
of Plymouth and was in due time graduated from the high school of that
place. Desiring a deeper draught at the "Pierian Spring" he studied
at a number of colleges, first at Eureka College, from which he entered
the Western Illinois College, then becoming a student at the State Nor-
mal University at McComb, and finishing in the State University of
Illinois. It is thus to be seen that his educational equipment is of the
highest order and he possesses very enlightened ideals on the question
of the proper development of the youthful mind. He inaugurated his
pedagogical career in 1894, at the age of twenty years, teaching for
. four years in the rural schools, and following that he spent six years as
ward principal of the schools of Nauvoo, Illinois. In 1909, he became
superintendent of the schools of Mendon, Illinois, and remained as such
until 1911, when he was appointed to the superintendency of the Albion
schools and here, as elsewhere, has given the greatest satisfaction in his
important office. He is not of the type which is content with "letting
well enough alone ' ' and has inaugurated several excellent measures. He
is at the head of a corps of twelve teachers and 360 pupils are enrolled.
The high school is accredited and in the work of instruction Professor
Ogilvie has two assistants in this higher department. The course is
four years in length and a diploma admits the graduate to college or
university.

Professor Ogilvie was married in 1897, Anna Hubbard of Bowen.
Illinois, daughter of John G. Hubbard, becoming his wife. They have
two children, Helen and Leslie. Their home is a hospitable one and
they occupy an enviable position in social circles where true worth and
intelligence are received as the passports into good society. They are
members of the Congregational church and the Professor enjoys fra-
ternal relations with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the
Modern Woodmen, both of Nauvoo.

LEWIS OWEN SNODDY. As one of the more prominent men to be iden-
tified with financial matters of his community, Lewis Owen Snoddy,
cashier of the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank of Golden Gate, is em-
inently deserving of some mention in a historical and biographical work
treating of Wayne county.

Mr. Snoddy was born on April 6, 1888, in Covington, Indiana, and
is the son of E. 0. Snoddy, also a native of Indiana, born there in 1865,
and the son of Samuel Snoddy. The latter was born in England and
emigrated to America in his early manhood. E. 0. Snoddy removed to
Illinois in 1904, and is now conducting a banking business in Redmon,
Illinois. The mother of Lewis Snoddy was Mary Trueman in her maiden
days. She became the mother of four children, namely : Eva, married to



1600 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

Sam Horton, and living at Shumway, Illinois; Lewis Owen, of this re-
view ; Dean A., of Indianapolis, and Sherman, of Redmon, Illinois.

The public schools of Covington, Indiana, afforded to Dr. Snoddy
his elementary education, after which he attended Westfield (111.) Col-
lege. For one year after finishing his studies he was assistant cashier
of the Shumway Bank, following which he accepted an offer from the
Farmers' and Merchants' Bank of Golden Gate, and he has been cashier
of that important institution since its organization to the present time.

The bank was organized October 9, 1909, as a private bank by H. J.
Metcalfe, who has since acted as president of the institution ; and C. A.
French, who is vice president. Other members of the concern are H. T.
Goddard, president of the First National Bank of Mt. Carmel; A. M.
Stern, president of the First National Bank of Crossville ; T. W. Hull,
president of the First National Bank of Carmi, and B. French, Sr., of
Belmont, Illinois. With such a coterie of well established and thor-
oughly responsible men in control of the bank, it is unnecessary to lay
further stress upon the solidity and reliability of the institution. It has
an individual responsibility of one million dollars, with deposits of
thirty-five thousand dollars, and stock subscribed to the amount of
twenty-five thousand dollars. It enjoys the favorable regard of the
people of Golden Gate, and is known to be one of the solid and substan-
tial financial houses of the county. Since its organization Mr. Snoddy
has been cashier of the bank, and has fulfilled his duties in a manner
highly creditable to one of his years, and which has indicated his entire
fitness for a career in the financial world.

Mr. Snoddy was united in marriage on October 10, 1909, to Bernice
Ferguson, of Redmon, daughter of Hugh Ferguson of that place. Two
children have been born to them, Christine Ferguson and Max Eldem,
the latter born March 16, 1912. The family are members of the United
Brethern church. Mr. Snoddy is a Republican, politically speaking, and
is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.

HARRY CORWIN Moss, M. D. The physician is a necessary element
in our civilization, because human life is our most precious possession.
A man will sacrifice all his property to save his own life. ' ' Self preserva-
tion is the first law of nature " is so trite a' maxim as to be known to all
and will be disputed by none. The fact that a man will give up his
own life to save one whom he loves does not disprove the maxim ; it only
emphasizes the power of his affection. But there are good physicians
and otherwise. At the best there are many things dark to the wisest
and most experienced physicians; and again the best physicians make
mistakes. So it is incumbent upon all persons to secure the services of
the ablest physician ; every head of a family should have his family phy-
sician, if for no other reason than to give perfect confidence in his
judgment to the members of the family. In these days of hypnotic sug-
gestions when sometimes a single word will turn the tide of disease and
death, a physician cannot be given too much latitude that is a highly
reputable physician, such as Dr. Moss of this sketch.

Dr. Harry Corwin Moss is a native of this section of the state, his
eyes having first opened to the light of day near Mt. Vernon amid the
rural surroundings of his father's farm. His father, Captain John R.
Moss, was born in 1830, and died October 2, 1909, in Albion. The elder
gentleman was a native of Jefferson county, this state, and the son of
Ransom and Anna (Johnson) Moss, who were among the pioneers of
Jefferson county, and who were born and reared in the Old Dominion.
They migrated first to North Carolina, then to Tennessee, and then, as
was often the custom in those days to the westward, coming to Southern



HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1601

Illinois and establishing a home for themselves in Jefferson county as
early as 1818, meeting, it is unnecessary to state, their share of the many
hardships encountered by the pioneer and enjoying the wholesome
pleasures peculiar to their lot. Ransom Moss was twice married, his
first wife passing away in Kentucky. He died at the early age of thirty-
nine years, but his wife, Anna Johnson Moss, survived him for many,
many years more than half a century, in fact, for she was ninety-three
when she was summoned to the life eternal in 1895, leaving over two
hundred descendants. She was a remarkable woman, of strong character,
as well as physical frame.

Capt. John R. Moss was a farmer by occupation and a soldier in the
great conflict between the states. He enrolled and organized Company
C of the Sixtieth Illinois Regiment, a company made up of the flower
of Jefferson county manhood, and he served as captain of this company
for a considerable period. He was taken ill with measles and returned
home on furlough and in 1863 was appointed provo-marshal, with head-
quarters in Olney and in one official capacity or another he served until
the affair at Appomattox brought peace to the stricken land. He was
one of his county's ablest and most highly respected citizens and served
as representative in the Illinois legislature and upon one occasion was
candidate for state senator. He married Pamelia C. Allen, a native of
this state and a daughter of Rev. George Allen, a Methodist minister
and a native of Georgia, and her demise occurred on March 16, 1909,
only a few months before her husband, these cherished and devoted life
companions being united in death as in life. They reared a family of
six children, namely : Angus Ivan, a resident of Mt. Vernon ; Norman H.,
an attorney, also of that place; Addie May (Me Anally), deceased, of
Carbondale, Illinois; Anna E. Neal, of Knoxville, Tennessee, whose hus-
band is a wholesale merchant of that southern city ; Harry Corwin ;
and Grace, wife of Rufus Grant, cashier of the Third National Bank
of Mt. Vernon, Illinois.

Dr. Moss received his education in the public schools of Mt. Vernon
and had the advantgaes of both the common and higher departments.
He subsequently entered the Southern Illinois Normal University and
following that taught school in Jefferson and St. Clair counties, acting
as principal of the schools of Marissa, this state in the years 1891, 1892
and 1893. In 1894, having come to the conclusion to change his pro-
fession from the pedagogical to the medical, he entered the Missouri
Medical College, and was graduated with the necessary degree, and in
his case a well-earned one, in the spring of 1898. Since that time, not
content with "letting well enough alone" he has taken a post-graduate
course. In the year of his graduation he located in Albion and here
has ever since practiced successfully, being practically the leading prac-
titioner of the city. He is a constant student and makes every effort to
keep abreast of the onward march of progress in his field. He is a
prominent member of the Tri-State Medical Association, and was mark-
edly influential in organizing the County Medical Society. He is a
Republican in politics and his word is of weight in local party councils,
and his influence and support a desirable asset. He was elected coroner
of Edwards county in 1902 and served in that office for an entire decade,
and he has also served as chairman of the board of health from 1901
to 1911. He is exceedingly popular and enjoys the highest order of
esteem for his ability, sound principles of life and conduct and unfail-
ing altruism and public spirit. He takes pleasure in lodge affairs and
his affiliations extend to the Masons, the Modern Woodmen of America,
Ben Hur and the Mystic Workmen. His church is the Methodist
Episcopal.



1602 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

Dr. Moss was happily married in 1895, his chosen lady being Eliza-
beth C. Wilson, of Marissa, daughter of Rev. J. C. Wilson, a Baptist
minister. They maintain a hospitable household and are in all respects
among Albion's fine citizenship.

CITIZENS' STATE & SAVINGS BANK. Occupying a position of no little
priority as one of the substantial and ably conducted banking institu-
tions of Southern Illinois, the Citizens' State & Savings Bank of Mur-
physboro, Jackson county, bases its operations upon ample capitalistic
resources and upon an executive corps of able and representative order.
The institution is the successor of the Commercial Bank, which had been
conducted under private auspices, and it has a paid-in capital stock of
fifty thousand dollars, with a surplus fund of about eight thousand dol-
lars. A general commercial banking business is conducted and special
attention is given to the savings department, in which four per cent in-
terest is paid on deposits.

The Citizens' State & Savings Bank was organized and incorporated
in July, 1904, and the personnel of its executive corps at the present
time is as here noted : John M. Herbert, president ; John Q. Adams, vice
president; Harry 0. Ozburn, cashier; and Robert J. Hodge, assistant
cashier. The business of the bank has shown a steady and substantial
growth and a careful and conservative management has given the institu-
tion an impregnable place in popular confidence, so that it constitutes a
valuable contribution to the financial concerns of the city and county in
which it is established.

DANIEL BALDWIN PARKINSON, A. M., Ph. D., President of the South-
ern Illinois State Normal University, is a native of Southern Illinois, but
traces his ancestry to the Cavaliers of the Carolinas.

Peter Parkinson, the paternal great-grandfather, came to North
Carolina prior to the Revolution. He married Miss Mary Marr from
which union there were born ten children namely : Daniel, John, Eman-
uel, Joanna, Washington, William, Peter, Marjorie and Lavine. It has
always been a tradition in the Parkinson family that Peter Parkinson
was a Revolutionary soldier.

Washington Parkinson, the grandfather of the subject of our sketch
was born September 3, 1787. His parents came to Tennessee some time
in the latter part of the eighteenth century. Here Washington Park-
inson married Miss Mary Moore about the year 1807. The father of
Miss Moore came to Highland, Illinois, about the middle of the nine-
teenth century where he died at the ripe old age of 95 years.

Washington Parkinson and his wife, Mary, had five children Wil-
liam, George, Alfred Jackson, Catherine and Valinda. The third son,
Alfred Jackson, was the father of the subject of our sketch, Dr. D. B.
Parkinson.

Alfred Jackson Parkinson was born in White county, Tennessee, Jan-
uary 16, 1816. He was a farmer as was his father and his grandfather.
About the year 1830 he came with his father, Washington Parkinson, to
the vicinity of Highland, Madison county, Illinois. Here the Parkinsons
entered land of the government and built a home.

At an early day there came from Connecticut to the region of Le-
banon, St. Clair county, Illinois, about twelve miles from the Parkinson
home, one Zera Baldwin, and his brother, Daniel Baldwin. Daniel settled
upon a choice piece of land iipon which stands the famous "Emerald
Mound, " about two miles northeast of Lebanon. It was not far from this
beautiful mound that Charles Dickens, the famous English author, stood
when he beheld for the first time the noted "Looking Glass Prairie," a
real American prairie. Zera Baldwin was a hatter before coming to the



rrit

OF IHt



HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1003

new west, but it does not appear that he followed the trade in Illinois. He
settled a mile or so east of the mound.

Daniel built a substantial brick residence at the foot of the Emerald
Mound. From the yard of this home a flight of steps led to the top of
the mound from which a charming view could be had over all the sur-
rounding country. This home of Daniel Baldwin was the center of the
social life in that community, and to it often came the young people to
while away the time on top of Emerald Mound. Among those who
came often to this home was a daughter of Zera Baldwin, Miss Mary
Eugenia Baldwin, whom her uncle Daniel greatly loved. Another guest
often found in the same home was the young Tennesseean, Andrew Jack-
son Parkinson, from near Highland. The passing acquaintance of An-
drew Jackson and Mary Eugenia ripened into love and matrimony.
They were married at the home of Daniel Baldwin in the fall of 1842.
They went to live upon the lands of the elder Parkinson near Highland
where they lived many, many years happily together till the death of
Mrs. Parkinson which occurred in January, 1890.

There came into this new home in due course of time nine children
as follows : George Washington, Daniel Baldwin, Augustus Alfred, Julia
Emily, Edward Henry, Charles William, Oscar Louis, Arthur Eugene,
and Mary Emma. Daniel, the second son, was born September 6, 1845.
Alfred J. Parkinson, the father of these nine children, was a plain
matter-of-fact sort of man, quiet, unostentatious, frugal and industrious.
He was as his name might suggest a Jackson Democrat. But in 1856 he
voted for Freemont and in 1860 for Abraham Lincoln. He remained a
Republican till late in life when he allied himself with the Prohibitionists.
He was a man of strong convictions and gave his whole heart to any
cause which he espoused. His people had been converts of the new
Cumberland Presbyterian movement in the early part of the last cen-
tury, but he was never allied with that church. He was the latter half
of his life a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

In 1878 he was elected state senator on the Republican ticket in the
forty-first senatorial district. He was a great admirer of General John A.
Logan and took part in the election of that great leader to the United
States senate in 1879. Mr. Parkinson died November 14, 1904.

Daniel Baldwin Parkinson grew to young manhood upon his father's
farm. He knew what hard work was in those early days. He had the
advantage of the country schools and remembers very gratefully his
teachers at "Oak Grove." He had also the help which comes from a
well regulated home and from sympathetic parents. When he had fin-
ished the rural school he attended the schools of Highland where he
pursued some advanced studies. In 1864 with his brother George he
entered McKendree College, Lebanon, Illinois. Here he came under the
influence of Dr. Robert Allyn, the president of the college. He was grad-
uated in 1868.

While he was attending school in McKendree, he roomed for several
terms in the home of Prof. Samuel H. Deneen, the father of Illinois'
present popular governor. Prof. Deneen was the teacher of the ancient
languages. The governor was a small lad at that time, some younger
than our student friend, but the friendship formed at that time has
never waned, and the two men are today warmly attached to each other.
The year following his graduation, Dr. Parkinson remained on the
farm to recuperate his health. In the fall of 1869 he took up his chosen
profession at Carmi following his college mate and personal friend,
Prof. J. M. Dixon. In the fall of 1870 he entered the faculty of Jen-
nings Seminary, Aurora, Illinois, where he remained three years as



1604 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

instructor in the natural sciences and mathematics. "While teaching in
Aurora, Dr. Parkinson formed the acquaintance of Dr. Prank Hall lately
deceased and of Dr. W. B. Powell, for many years superintendent of the
schools of the District of Columbia. In 1873 he entered Northwestern
University for advanced work in science, and while here he was elected
to a professorship in the Southern Illinois State Normal University which
was to open at Carbondale on the summer of 1874.

In this new position Dr. Parkinson was to be associated with his old
teacher, Dr. Robert Allyn, who had been made president of the new
normal school. His work was the physical sciences. He remained in
charge of this department of work from 1874 to 1897. A vacancy oc-
curred at this time in the presidency of the school and Dr. Parkinson
was elected ' ' acting president. ' ' He served in this position for one year
and was then made permanent president, -which position he has held for
fifteen years. He has therefore been a member of the faculty of the
Southern Illinois State Normal University for thirty-eight years fifteen
of which he has served as its president.

On December 18, 1876, Dr. Parkinson was married to Miss Julia P.
Mason, whose father, Allen C. Mason, lived in Normal, Illinois. One
son, Daniel Mason Parkinson was born to this marriage, October 12, 1877.
He graduated from the normal, and married Miss Margaret Hill, daugh-
ter of Senator George W. Hill, of Murphysboro. They have two fine boys,
William and Robert. Daniel, Jr., is a prosperous business man of San
Antonio, Texas district superintendent of the Southwestern Telegraph
and Telephone Company. On August 6, 1879, Mrs. Parkinson died.

On July 30, 1884, Dr. Parkinson was united in marriage with Miss
Mary Alice Raymond, who was also a teacher in the normal school. To
this union two children were born, Raymond Fielding Parkinson, born
June 7, 1886, and Mary Alice Parkinson, born May 9, 1891. Both of
these children have been graduated from the normal school. Raymond
has pursued advanced work in Northwestern University, and Alice is
now a student in the Woman's College in Rockford this state.

Mrs. Parkinson is descended from a number of New England fami-
lies of some note. She traces her ancestry to Roger Conant, the governor
for more than a year of a commercial colony on the Massachusetts shore
at the present Cape Ann. He filled this position from 1624 to 1626, and
removed from there to 'Salem, where Governor Endicott found him in
1628. John Conant a direct descendant of Roger Conant was born in
1743 and died 1809. He was a Revolutionary soldier, married Miss
Emma Thorndike. He had a son, Major John Conant, born 1771, and
died 1859. He married Sarah Fiske and their daughter, Sarah Conant,
married James Giles Raymond, the son of David Raymond and his
wife, Hannah Giles Raymond. James Giles Raymond and hie wife,
Sarah Conant Raymond, had a son Charles Fiske Raymond, the father
of Mrs. Mary Alice (Raymond) Parkinson. Chas. F. Raymond was a
business man, a contractor, in St. Louis where he was accidentally killed



Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 80 of 98)