Copyright
George Washington Smith.

A history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) online

. (page 82 of 98)
Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 82 of 98)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


engaged in stave manufacturing. In 1892 he settled in the same business
in New Harmony, Indiana, remaining until 1896, after which lie took
employment in a similar line of work in Vincennes, Indiana, remaining
there until 1902. The next two years he passed in Shawneetown, Illinois,
after which he was employed six years at Mill Shoals, Illinois. In 1910
he was able to purchase a stave mill, and he located in Sims, where he has
since conducted a flourishing business with a high degree of success. He
employs more than fifty men regularly in the operating of the mill, the
annual capacity of which is five millions of staves. The capital stock of
the concern is $10,000.

Mr. Ward is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at
Mill Shoals, where he at one time resided, and is a member of the Mis-
sionary Baptist church. He has been twice married. His first wife was
Frances Hill, of Grayville, whom he married in 1881 ; she died in 1885,
leaving one son, Hugh, who is now employed in his father's mill. In
1889 Mr. Ward married Alice Green, the daughter of Louis Green, of
Hamilton county, Illinois.

WILLIE ELMER WARREN, former cashier of the Bank of Sims and now
cashier of a bank at West York, occupies a place of considerable im-
portance in the business life of the localities in which he has resided.
When the Bank of Sims was organized, October 19, 1909, Mr. Warren
was made cashier and manager of the bank, and he continued in that po-
sition until recently and in which he acquitted himself with credit to
himself and to the shrewdness of the men who installed him in that place
in their interests. With his brother Mr. Warren organized a bank at
West York, and was made its cashier, he having sold his interest in the
Bank of Sims.

Willie Elmer Warren was born October 6, 1868, in Marion county,
Illinois, and is the son of Henry and Mary (Nichols) Warren. The
father was born in Marion county, in 1846, and was the son of Aca War-
ren, a native of Kentucky. Mary Warren, the mother of Willie Elmer
Warren, died January 6. 1903. Five children were born to this couple.
They were : Willie Elmer ; Harry L., cashier of the Bank of Kinmundy ;
Charles, cashier of a bank in Willow Hill ; Emma, who died in infancy ;
and Nettie, the wife of Laurence Stevens, of Kinmundy.

The son Willie Elmer was educated in the public schools of his com-
munity, the while he was reared on his father's farm. He remained in



1612 HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

the family home until he was twenty-four years of age, at which time he
began farming for himself in Marion county. He became the owner of
his first farm in 1904, when he bought a small place of forty acres, which
he recently sold and is now the owner of a home in Sims. His natural
ability is better employed in his present responsible position than when
engaged in farming, as the high degree of success which has attended his
efforts since he became connected with banking interests amply attest.
Mr. Warren is a member of the Court of Honor, and of the Free Will
Baptist church, in which faith he is an ordained minister, his ordination
taking place in 1909. His high character and unqualified sterling worth
are in every way consistent with his religious profession, and he is re-
garded as one of the most valuable men of his community.

Mr. Warren has been twice married. In 1892 he was married to Miss
Lillian May Dilman, who died in 1894, leaving one child, Iva May, who
is now eighteen years of age. In 1897 he was married to Miss Birdie
Harber, the daughter of Charles Harber, of Farina, Illinois. Of this
latter union one child has been born, Comaleta, aged eleven years.

WILLIAM ALBION DULANY, M. D. Among the professional men of
Wayne county probably none are more worthy the success which has
attended their efforts than Dr. William Albion Dulany, of Keenes, a
practitioner of more than local reputation and a man who has made a
place for himself in the ranks of his chosen profession entirely through
his own efforts. Handicapped by the lack of early advantages, he per-
sistently labored to better his condition, and after eleven years of inces-
sant endeavor succeeded in reaching his goal. Dr. Dulany was born June
8, 1873, near Bluford, Jefferson county, Illinois, and is a son of I. H. and
Sarah (Green) Dulany.

Preston Dulany, the grandfather of Dr. Dulany, was a native of Vir-
ginia, from which state he migrated with his adopted parents to Tennes-
see. There he was married and engaged in agricultural pursuits, but in
his later years became blind, and until his death was dependent upon his
son. I. H. Dulany was born in Tennessee, and in 1860, when twenty-
three years of age, migrated to Southern Illinois, settling near Bluford,
in Jefferson county. Later he moved to Middletown, Wayne county,
where he practiced medicine for thirty years, building up the largest pro-
fessional business in the county, but he is now retired and lives with a
daughter. His wife, the daughter of a Tennessean, died in 1887, having
been the mother of seven children, namely : Professor Thomas S., princi-
pal of the high school at Adamson, Oklahoma ; A. G., an attorney of Mc-
Alister. Oklahoma; Mrs. Eliza Dorsey; Mrs. Mary Anderson; Mrs. Mi-
nerva Hunter; John, who is deceased; and Dr. William A.

Dr. William A. Dulany secured his early educational training in the
common schools, and as a youth turned his attention to clearing land.
He had, however, decided upon a professional career, and with this end
in view went to work to secure a better education. He worked his way
through Hayward and Ewing Colleges, and for ten years was engaged
in teaching school in Jefferson and Wayne counties, the greater part of
this time being spent at Spring Garden, Illinois. In the fall of 1901 he
was able to enter St. Louis University, and graduated from the medical
department thereof in the spring of 1905, since which time he has been
successfully engaged in practice at Keenes. Dr. Dulany now travels over
an extensive territory in Wayne and Jefferson counties, having a large
clientele and a wide professional acquaintance. A close student, careful
practitioner and skillful surgeon, he keeps fully abreast of the various
advances in his profession, and takes an active interest in the work of
the county, state and national medical associations. In fraternal mat-



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1613

ters he is well and popularly known as a member of the Odd Fellows and
the Modern Woodmen.

In 1894 Dr. Dulany was married to Nana B. Bruce, daughter of
Lenard Bruce, of Marlow, Illinois. To this union two children were
born : Jewel F. and Halsie, but Jewel died in her fifth year, and Mrs.
Nana B. Dulany died in 1903. In 1906 Dr. Dulany was married to Miss
Catherine Keen, daughter of James Keen, an old resident of Wayne
county who now lives near Keenes, and two children have been born to
them : Herman and Rabb. Dr. and Mrs. Dulany are widely known in
religious circles, and are consistent members and liberal supporters of
the local Methodist Episcopal church.

THOMAS B. ECHOLS is a native of Pulaski county and has been a resi-
dent of Southern Illinois all his life. Since 1881 he has been a resident
of New Grand Chain, where he has carried on a general real estate busi-
ness with undeniable success, and where he has come to be recognized as
one of the foremost citizens of the community. He has been justice of the
peace since 1869 with a break of ten years and he is now serving as presi-
dent of the village of Grand Chain with all satisfaction to the residents
of the place. Mr. Echols was first commissioned a notary public by Gov-
ernor Altgeld and he has been similarly commissioned by each succeeding
governor since that time. His war record is one of which he may be
justly proud. He was in the military service from the first call of the
government for troops in April, 1861, until the 28th day of January,
1863, and even after discharge from the army he was in the revenue ser-
vice of the government for a considerable period.

Born at Lovers Leap, in old Caledonia, on April 29, 1842, Thomas
Benton Echols is the son of Benjamin F. Echols, who was born near Sa-
vannah, Georgia, October 12, 1812, who came to Illinois in 1834 in com-
pany with his father, Jesse Echols. They settled near Caledonia where
the elder Echols died. The widow of Jesse Echols was Sarah Elliott,
before her marriage, and they were the parents of five children, namely :
Joseph W. ; Benjamin F. ; Betsey, who was twice married, first to a Mr.
Fallette, and then to Thomas DePoyster; Nancy became the wife of
James M. Timmons and Mary A. first married Gilbert Leroy and later
Thomas Frazier, now deceased.

Benjamin F. Echols was a young man of twenty years when he came
to Illinois with his parents. He was untutored, save for the primitive
work done at intervals in the country schools of the town where he was
reared, and his life thus far had been in the main given over to manual
labor, rather than to educational pursuits. When the Blawk Hawk war
broke out Benjamin F. Echols was among the first to respond to the call
for troops and he took an active part in the work of quelling the upris-
ing. In civil life he was known principally as a merchant in and about
old Caledonia, at which business he was as successful as were the average
country merchants of his day. He was a Democrat of ardent faith and
enthusiasm, and early in the history of Pulaski county he was elected
circuit clerk and recorder of the county, being chosen in 1846 and serv-
ing until 1849 with an efficiency and capability which won from his
fellow citizens praise of a high order. Mr. Echols was a warm personal
admirer of Thomas H. Benton, the great Missouri statesman, and was for
many years his staunch supporter. In later years, however, he experi-
enced some differences of opinion with the gentleman from Missouri, and
so great was the feeling between them that Mr. Echols threatened to
change the name of his son. Thomas Benton Echol, who had been named
in honor of the friend of former days. Benjamin F. Echols married
Sarah R. Arter, a daughter of Daniel Arter, M. D., who came to this



1614 HISTORY OP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

section of Illinois from Gallipolis, Ohio, in 1832. Mr. Echols died in
1850 leaving a family of six children. Ann, the eldest daughter, had
been twice married, first to Thomas J. Green and second to Benjamin
Pearson ; Victoria married Josephus Moss and is now deceased ; Thomas
Benton ; Daniel A., who served in the Seventy-seventh Illinois Infantry
and is now an inmate of the Soldiers' Home in Danville, Illinois; Sarah
E. married Legrand Wood, and after his death she became the wife of H.
A. Hannon and now resides at Cairo, Illinois, and Benjamin P. is a
resident of DuQuoin, Illinois. Mrs. Echols contracted a second marriage
in later years, her second husband being Louis Jaccard, and the children
of her second marriage are Adelle J., the wife of Lewis Miller, and Louis
E. Mrs. Jaccard passed away in 1885.

When Thomas B. Echols was a boy of school age, educational methods
had advanced but slightly from their primitive conditions in his father's
youth, but he was permitted to partake of such opportunities as the oc-
casion afforded and he attended the proverbial cabin-school with the oft-
described slab benches, and in common with the youth of his day and age,
smarted under the rigorous discipline of the hickory rod of the pioneer
school-master who concurred in the wisdom of Solomon and proceeded
not to "spare the rod and spoil the child." Those years passed by all
too quickly, however, and he was still but a lad when he vohmteered at
the first call for troops to put down the rebellion. He enlisted from Pu-
laski county in April, 1861, in Company G, Eleventh Illinois Infantry,
with Captain Rose and Colonel W. H. L. Wallace in command of the
regiment, who later fell at Shiloh as a general in command of a division.
It is not out of place to mention here that Pulaski county furnished more
men for the Union army during the war period than it numbered in
voters in 1860. For three months the regiment did little besides train for
active service, and at the end of that time, when the time for which it
had been assembled was expired, Mr. Echols reenlisted in the same com-
mand and the regiment rendezvoused at Bird's Point until ordered to
Port Henry early in February, 1862. He took part in the capture of
that place and then accompanied his command to Fort Donelson and saw
that fort capitulate after a ten days' assault. Here he fell ill and was re-
turned home, but upon his recovery immediately rejoined his regiment
at Pittsburg Landing and was wounded in the first day of battle, when he
was shot through the foot and had his belt cut asunder by a flying missile
from Confederate guns at the same instant. His wound necessitated an-
other furlough home. He rejoined his regiment at Cairo, Illinois, in
July, 1862, there securing his discharge, and was discharged on July
23rd, 1862, by reason of surgeon's certificate of disability, produced by
gunshot wound in right foot at Battle of Shiloh. August 15, 1862. he en-
listed for the third time, joining the One Hundred and Ninth Regiment,
Illinois Infantry as sergeant major of the regiment. The command ad-
vanced to the front and took part in the defense of Holly Springs ; from
there the regiment went back to Memphis, at which place Mr. Echols was
discharged. He came back to Cairo and entered the government service
as an aid in the revenue department on board river boats. His route
took him up and down the Mississippi from St. Louis to New Orleans,
from Cairo to various points along that stream and from Cairo to points
along the Ohio, Tennessee and Cumberland rivers.

After the close of the war Mr. Echols engaged in merchandise at the
corner of Twenty-eighth and Commercial streets, Cairo, Illinois, but he
left Cairo after a few months and located at. Caledonia where he con-
ducted a like business for two years. He was elected constable of his
precinct and was appointed postmaster of the place, but in 1867 he moved
to Grand Chain, where he has since resided, and where he is conducting a



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1615

healthy real estate business, and is regarded with a high degree of fav-
oritism by all who know him. Judge Echols is a Republican and has ever
supported that party principles and given his aid in every way to the
cause. In earlier days he has attended numerous state conventions of the
party in its interests. He is an Odd Fellow and has served the lodge as
a delegate to its Grand Lodge. He has performed a like service for the
Knights of Honor and is a member of the Knights and Ladies of Honor,
and of the Grand Army of the Republic.

On December 1, 1863, Judge Echols married at Caledonia, Miss
Amine B. Brown, a daughter of B. and Elizabeth (Cooper) Brown. The
children of Judge and Mrs. Echols are : Mabel A , the wife of Samuel
Price of Grand Chain ; Sallie A. is Mrs. James S. Adams ; Jessie A. mar-
ried Andrew Moore of Grand Chain ; Thomas E. was drowned in the
Ohio river, November 27, 1897, and Hortense H. is the wife of Dr. J. E.
Woelfle of Cairo, Illinois.

JOHN JOSEPH BROWN. From an orphan lad to a prosperous lawyer is
a long leap yet this is just the gap that John Joseph Brown has bridged.
He received his start through the kindness of others; his native ability
and ambitious determination did the rest. The law firm of which he is
the senior member, controls one of the largest practices in the state. As
a man, his work has been epoch making, in particular his work on the
board of commissioners of the Southern Illinois Penitentiary. He has
occupied many public positions of trust and has filled them all to the
great satisfaction of those who elected him. This has been largely due to
his finely trained mind and unquestionable intellectual attainments, as
well as his sincere desire to do the thing which would benefit the greatest
number. When a man is as much in earnest as he has always been, suc-
cess is bound to come.

John Joseph Brown was born in New York City on the 15th of No-
vember, 1852. He was the son of James and Mary Brown, who were born
in Dublin, Ireland. The quick witted repartee, with which he so often
disconcerts his opponents, is one of the traits which he must thank his
Irish blood for. His, parents met and married in New York, where the
father was engaged in the boot and shoe business. When John was
three years old, he lost both of his parents, and at the age of six found
himself placed in the New York Juvenile Asylum. In company with
twenty-seven other boys he was sent to Illinois to find homes among the
farmers. It was a pathetic little company going forth so bravely to
seek its fate, but the little fellows did not think so themselves. Any
release from the asylum meant happiness for them, and it was with ex-
cited laughs and wondering eyes that the city waifs greeted the vast
green prairies. It is to be hoped that all these unfortunates were as
lucky in their foster parents as was John Joseph. He was indentured to
William Henninger, of Hagarstown, a farmer.

A new life now unfolds for the boy. The family in which he was
placed were progressive, sympathetic with his young ideas, and were
kindness itself. From his own nature the life on the farm, no matter
how hard the work, could never be dull, for he had a soul, he was of that
rare order of being who really finds "books in the running brooks."
To him, therefore, the changing seasons were ever a delight, he hungered
for the world of books, he longed to know many things that the birds and
beasts could not teach him ; therefore, after he had obtained all the
knowledge possible from the country schools, through the kindness of
Mr. Henninger, he was permitted to enter the Wesleyan University of
Bloomiiigton, Illinois. Here he spent five years, and was graduated in
1881. During this time he had taught school to pay his expenses, and



1616 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

having had this experience, he now turned to this profession to earn his
living, though he even then was determined to study law as soon as he
was able. He taught school in Fayette county for six years, with such
success that he was made principal of the Vandalia schools. He held
this position for three years, instituting many much needed reforms and
instilling into the schools new life and the enthusiastic regard for edu-
cational work which he himself possessed to a large degree. Mr. Brown
had no intention of remaining a school teacher long, so he took up the
study of law in the offices of Henry and Farmer, and under their very
-able tutelage was admitted to the bar after two years of study.

He had the great good fortune to be taken into partnership by his
brilliant preceptor, Judge William M. Farmer, and this association, in-
valuable to him, lasted until the latter was elected circuit judge and was
forced to give up his practice. He then formed a partnership with J. M.
Albert and later went into the firm of Brown, Burnside and Bullington.
He is at present a member of the firm of Brown & Burnside, which is one
of the best known and most reliable throughout the state, and whose
practice involves much valuable property and many very important
cases. With his fine training under a lawyer of much experience and
ability, his diligent study, and a mind peculiarly adapted to the intrica-
cies of the legal profession, he has been very active in the political world,
being one of the strong men of the Republican party in the state of
Illinois. In local affairs he has taken much interest in educational mat-
ters, being for fifteen years a member of the school board where he was
able to accomplish many things because his own experience as a teacher
had taught him what was most necessary and practical. His resignation
from the board was forced upon him through the pressure of business.
In 1886 he was elected to the legislature and served one term, making
his presence strongly felt. He became especially prominent as chairman
of the educational committee, and also did important work as a member
of the committee on judiciary and practice. His efficiency was widely
recognized and in 1888 he was appointed one of the commissioners of the
Illinois Southern Penitentiary. Here his work is of especial note, and
his big heart and sympathy for the prisoners and the laboring classes
were shown in the many reforms which he brought about. One in par-
ticular, the abolishment of criminal contract labor, has been of inestim-
able value, and the work of this board will long be remembered. Dur-
ing the World's Fair he served as secretary of the World's Fair Commis-
sion under Richard Yates. In business affairs he takes considerable in-
terest, being one of the directors of the First National Bank of Vandalia.

In the fraternal world he is very conspicuous, giving considerable
time to furthering the interests of some one of the various orders to which
he belongs. He is a member of Temperance Lodge No. 16, of the An-
cient Free and Accepted Masons, and in the same order is a member of
the Vandalia Chapter, a Royal Arch Mason, a member of the Gyrene
Commandery of Knights Templar at Centralia and of the Medinah
Temple of Chicago. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias and
was its Grand Chancellor in 1896, and has been its Supreme Representa-
tive for the past sixteen years; he is a member of the Elks of Centralia.
and was grand master of the Odd Fellows of Illinois in 1904. One of the
causes that lie closest to his heart is that of the Odd Fellows' Orphans'
Home at Lincoln, Illinois, of which he is trustee. There are one hundred
and sixty children there, who greet him on his frequent visits with en-
thusiasm, for here is one who understands. He is also a member of the
Court of Honor, the Modern Woodmen of America and the National Pro-
tective League.

He is deeply interested in religious matters, doing everything in his



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1617

power to aid the cause of Christianity. His allegiance is with the Meth-
odist Episcopal church, of which he is one of the hoard of trustees and
of whose Sunday-school he has been superintendent for sixteen years.

On the 29th of May, 1883, Mr. Brown married Nellie G. Blackwell,
who was born and educated in Vandalia. She was the daughter of Col-
onel Robert Blackwell and of Mary Jane (Slusser) Blackwell, both of
whom were natives of Ohio. Colonel Blackwell was a member of the
upper house of the state legislature while the capitol was at Vandalia.
He was the editor of the first paper published at Vandalia, and was one
of its most prominent citizens. Mr. and Mrs. Brown are the parents of
one child, their accomplished daughter, Lucile. She is a graduate of the
Vandalia high school, the Woman's College at Jacksonville, Illinois, and
of Professor Kroeger 's Academy of Music at St. Louis. She married Don
Vest Buchanan of Tuscola, Illinois, where she now resides.

JAMES D. HARLAN, M. D. The paternal grandfather of Doctor Har-
lan, J. D. Harlan, a Virginian gentleman of the old school, was born in
1800, but left his fair state for the blue grass regions of Kentucky while
yet merely a lad. In 1827 he came to Southern Illinois by wagon and set-
tled on a farm in Wayne county, becoming one of the pioneers of that
community. His diligence was rewarded with large crops. In the sum-
mer of 1852 he as usual took a flat boat load of his produce down the
river to New Orleans, the largest market within reach. While in New
Orleans he became the victim of the awful white scourge and died with
cholera after arriving near his home. His wife was left alone on the
farm with a family of twelve children to care for. Through her great
efforts most of these were reared and educated, although but one, Cyn-
thia Harlan Friend, is now living.

W. E. Harlan, the son of James D. Harlan, Sr., and the father of the
present incumbent of the name, was born in Kentucky in 1823, being
four years of age when his parents moved to the Illinois farm. At the
time of his father's sudden death he devoted his energy to making the
farm put forth a livelihood for his mother and small brothers and sisters.
In connection with his agricultural labors he opened a small general store
at Pine Oak. In about 1855 he married Miriam Holmes, an Ohio girl,
the daughter of William Holmes, who was born in Pennsylvania, of Ger-
man parents. They were the parents of six children, of whom Emma, the
eldest, is now Mrs. Ochiltree, of Haddan, Kansas. Jennie is the wife of
Mr. Leihman, of Indianapolis, Indiana. Lillie Harlan Davis resides in



Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.3) → online text (page 82 of 98)