Copyright
George Washington Smith.

A history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.2) online

. (page 66 of 80)
Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.2) → online text (page 66 of 80)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


being decidedly in the minority in that section of the county. He is
now one of the commissioners of public utilities in DuQuoin, which
board has in its charge the management of the water, ice and lighting
plants. Recently Mr. Ward has acquired an interest in the coal mines
around DuQuoin, having joined Harry E. Ross, Thomas J. Ho well and
William Hayes in the purchase of the "Imperial Mine" from the Weaver
interests. The mine is being operated under a lease, and is apparently
living up to the expectations of its new owners.

On the llth of May, 1876, Mr. Ward was married to Cephiese Slaw-
son, a native of New Orleans and a daughter of Hiram Slawson and a
niece of John B. Slawson, the street car magnate of New Orleans prior to
the Civil war. Mr. Slawson was born in New Jersey in 1825, but went to
New Orleans as a young man and was associated there with his brother.
When the city was captured by the Federals under Ben Butler he
slipped out under cover by a clever disguise and the darkness and thus
managed to evade capture by the Union army. Since 1909 Mr. Slawson
has resided in DuQuoin. He married Lucy Wright and Mrs. Ward is
one of their seven children.

The only child born to Mr. and Mrs. Ward was Hiram Henry Ward,
who was born September 19, 1878. He was educated in the DuQuoin
schools and later graduated from Bryant and Stratton's Business Col-
lege in St. Louis. He was extremely popular, having great charm of
manner and a keen intellect, and the result of this was his election as
county clerk in 1902, when he was only twenty-four years old, being
the youngest man ever elected to that office in the state. He was marked
down as a sacrifice to the dreaded white plague and died at El Paso,
Texas, where he had gone in search of health. The great consolation
that his mother and father have in his loss is the presence in their home
of his wife, who was Mamie Lemmon, and the two grandchildren, Hiley
and Merrill.

DEMPSEY WINTHROP. There is perhaps no man in Perry county pos-
sessing a wider acquaintance or a greater popularity than Dempsey
Winthrop, for ten years identified with the public affairs of the county
and a resident of this section of the country since his birth. His first
public office was that of deputy sheriff of Perry county, in 1902, and
since that time his ascent in political fields has been rapid and con-
tinuous.

Dempsey Winthrop was born on a farm near Tamaroa, Illinois, on
July 10, 1878, in which community his forefathers had established this
old and honored family in previous generations. He is the son of Henry
Rogers Winthrop, who, like his son, has been endorsed by the citizens of
Perry county for public office and given worthy service in the office
of which he has been incumbent in years past. He is now retired from
public life and is passing the evening of his life on his farm near
Tamaroa, in the vicinity of his birth. The founder of the family in this
county was Charles E. R. Winthrop, who came here from New York
state, and, settling near Tamaroa, passed his life as. a public official of
Perry county and as a farmer. He filled the offices of county judge,
county superintendent of schools and county commissioner, in every in-
stance rendering valuable service to the county and establishing a rec-
ord for efficient public service that the ensuing generations have lived
up to in a worthy manner. The paternal ancestors of the subject were
among the descendants of Governor John Winthrop, of the Colony of
Massachusetts, thus branding the family as Americans of the purest



992 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

type, with an ancestry of which they may well be proud. Charles E. R.
Winthrop was a Whig and later a Republican, and a member of the
Missionary, Baptist church. He married Miss Delilah Lipe, and both
ended their lives in or near Tamaroa and there are buried. They were
the parents of seven children, named as follows: John; Delilah, who
married Richard Hampleman ; Ellen, who became the wife of Zebeded
Hampleman ; Henry Rogers, the father of Dempsey Winthrop ; Charles ;
Esther, deceased, who was 'the wife of W. D. Eaton; and Susan, who
afterwards became the second wife of Mr. Eaton.

Henry R. Winthrop 's life has been one round of activity as a farmer,
save for one term spent as sheriff of Perry county. He served in that
capacity from 1902 to 1906. since which time none but matters of a
private nature have claimed his attention. He was married to Miss
Martha Hutson, a daughter of Chamberlain Hutson, residents of the
country about Tamaroa, and the following children have been born to
them: Carrie E., who is unmarried; Dempsey, of Pinckneyville ; Han-
Ian H., a farmer near Tamaroa and married to Grace Hampleman;
Elsie E. ; Sylvia L. ; Henry B. ; and Claud H.

Dempsey Winthrop was educated in the country and public schools
of Tamaroa. He attended the Northern Indiana Normal University and
finished a commercial course in that institution. He left the home farm
in 1902 to take a deputyship under his father, who was elected sheriff
of Perry county, and while in that office he acquitted himself in such a
manner that the Republicans of the county recognized in him valuable
timber for the party, and they made him their candidate for the office
in 1906, electing him by a pleasing majority. This term of service com-
pleted, he won the nomination of his party for representative to the
general assembly and was elected in 1910, together with Messrs. Ether-
ton and Stevenson, representing the forty-fourth senatorial district,
comprising the counties of Monroe, Randolph, Perry, Jackson and
Washington. Mr. Winthrop took part in the forty-seventh general as-
sembly, was chairman of the committee on Federal relations, and a mem-
ber of the committee on appropriations, building, loan and homestead
associations, enrolled and engrossed bills, horticulture, penal and re-
formatory institutions, and railroads and bridges. He was also a mem-
ber of special committees for the inspection and investigation of the
State's Eye and Ear Infirmary at Chicago, and for the investigation of
the Industrial Home for the Blind. It will be seen that his activities
while a member of the assembly were of a wide and varied nature, as be-
comes a man of his ability and character. Mr. Winthrop is a director of
the Murphy- Wall Bank and Trust Company of Pinckneyville, one of
the strong financial institutions of the county and of Southern Illinois,
and is a member of the Odd Fellow lodge and is a Master Mason.

Mr. Winthrop took for his wife Miss Bess May Williams, a daughter
of the late Ralph G. Williams, an ex-county clerk and ex-sheriff of Perry
county, and one of the oldest settlers of this section of the state. His
wife was Miss Emily T. Goodrich, and they are the parents of seven
daughters. They are: Anna, the wife of A. S. Marlow, now deceased;
Alta, who married Henry Duckworth ; Florence, now Mrs. Elias Kane ;
Viola, who married E. R. Hincke; Lizzie, the wife of A. W. McCants;
lantha; and Mrs. Winthrop.

THOMAS N. KARRAKEB was born three miles east of the town of
Dongola, on February 18, 1875. He is the son of Nathan Karraker,
who also was born in the same community, December 26, 1826, and died
December 24, 1897. at the advanced age of seventy-one years.

The Karraker family was established in Union county, Illinois, by



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 993

Daniel Karraker, father of Nathan Karraker, and the grandfather of
Thomas N., the subject of this sketch. Daniel Karraker and his son
Nathan lived quietly and modestly, devoting their time and energies
to the careful operating of their farm, and manifesting no particular
ambition beyond the desire to attain a fair degree of prosperity and to
live blamelessly in the eyes of the community. They were men of much
stability of character, of a religious temperament and were known as
exemplary citizens, contributing always to the welfare of their home
town as their circumstances would permit them.

Nathan K., the son, married in Union county in 1854, taking for his
bride Sarah J. Knight, who was born in 1834 and who still survives her
husband, he having passed away in the year 1897. They were the
parents of a goodly family of ten children, those who yet live being : J.
F., J. A. and J. W. Karraker, all of whom are pursuing near Dongola
the vocation in which they were reared ; Emma, who is the wife of John
L. Cope, and Laura, who is the wife of Alonzo Keller, also farming near
Dongola ; F. M. Karraker, who has for many years been the representa-
tive of the Illinois Central Railroad Company at Dongola; and Thomas
N. Karraker, first named in this review and the subject thereof, and
who is the youngest of the family.

The education of the household of Nathan Karraker was quite as
liberal as his opportunities and the times would justify, and all of the
family received such educational advantages as was consistent with their
station. Thomas N. Karraker did his advanced school work in the Don-
gola High school and in the Southern Illinois Normal University at
Carbondale, Illinois. He lacked but three months of finishing his course
in the Normal University when his ambition to get into business life
overshadowed his desire to complete his education, and he accordingly
entered upon a course of business instruction and training in a Jack-
sonville, Illinois, Business College, taking his diploma in 1895.

In the interim he had taught a successful term of school in what was
then known as the Karraker District, where he had attended school as a
care-free, bare-foot boy, and when his business course was completed he
accepted a position as clerk and bookkeeper in the bank of Jonesboro.
It was in the year 1904 that he came to Mounds, Illinois, as assistant
cashier for the Bank of Beechwood, and when, in 1906, it was converted
by charter into the institution now known as the First State Bank of
Mounds Thomas N. Karraker was made assistant cashier and in 1907
was made cashier. Dr. Boswell was elected president and Judge Wall,
vice-president.

The career of Thomas Karraker has been purely a business one. Be-
lieving a division of energy was but little better than wasted, he never
allowed himself to become affiliated in any manner with politics or other
outside matters which might by any chance be calculated to conflict with
his duties as cashier or detract from the dignity and conservatism of the
institution with which he is connected, and where he has acquitted him-
self so creditably.

His life was not strewn with roses nor his success attained on flowery
beds of ease. He started in his chosen line of business as a bank clerk
on a salary barely meeting the necessary expenses of life, but with that
characteristic determination kept on pursuing until a goodly portion of
success was won.

Mr. Karraker is a member of Cairo Chapter, number 71. On April
3, 1904, he was married to Miss Elsie Dillow, a daughter of D. J. Dillow,
a merchant of Dongola, and Mr. Karraker suffered irremediable loss in
the death of his wife, September 21, 1909. Their marriage was with-
out issue.



994 HISTORY OF SOUTHEEN ILLINOIS

NORMAN MC!NTYEE. Well equipped for a professional career both
by education and aptness, Norman Mclntyre, superintendent of the
public schools of Campbell Hill, has acquired a far more than local rep-
utation as an instructor and is widely known among the successful
educators of this part of Jackson county. He was born January 28,
1882, in Nashville, Illinois, which was likewise the birthplace of his
father, William Mclntyre. His grandfather, William Eobert Mclntyre,
who located in Nashville, Illinois, in the early part of the nineteenth
century, was one of three brothers who migrated from South Carolina
to the west, one of the remaining two settling in Missouri and the other
in Arkansas.

Born on the home farm in Nashville, Illinois, December 12, 1854,
William Mclntyre, whose father was a veteran of the Civil war, re-
mained beneath the parental roof-tree until twenty-five years of age,
when he moved to Perry county, Illinois, where he has since resided, an
esteemed and respected citizen. He is a man of strong convictions, and
in his political affiliations is a Republican. He married, in 1880, Mar-
garet Redfern, a daughter of James Redfern, of Perry county, who was
a drummer boy in the Mexican war and a brave soldier in the Civil war.
Nine children blessed their union, namely : William, who died in child-
hood ; Norman, with whom this brief sketch is chiefly concerned ; Mary,
wife of Marion Haggert ; James R. ; George W. ; Lawrence ; William ;
Clyde; and Margaret. Four of these children are now school teachers,
and three more are preparing to enter upon the same profession.

Living in Perry county until sixteen years of age, Norman Mclntyre
there attended the primary and grammar schools, after which he was
a pupil in the Coulterville high school for two years. Going then to
Carbondale, he took a course of five years in the Southern Illinois Nor-
mal School; being there graduated with the class of 1909. During his
attendance at the Normal Mr. Mclntyre taught school, being employed
in different places, for one year having charge of the schools in Ash-
ley, Illinois, and at Campbell Hill for an equal length of time. He is
now devoting all of his time and energies to the improvement of the
Campbell Hill schools, of which he is superintendent, the high rank
which these institutions, (which in addition to the grammar grades does
three years high school work,) maintain among similar schools in the
county being due to his wise and systematic labors.

Mr. Mclntyre married, August 15, 1909, Laura P. Barrow, daugh-
ter of A. J. Barrow, of Campbell Hill, and they have one child, Robert
Norman Mclntyre. Politically Mr. Mclntyre is a Republican, and re-
ligiously he is a member of the Missionary Baptist church.

REV. WALTER S. D. SMITH. Sometimes one finds a man who unites
in himself the fine moral sense of a minister of the gospel with the keen
business sense of a man who lives his life among material things. Such
a man is of great value to both his friends and to the community in
which he lives, for he is, as a rule, one of the few truly normal men
living today. This unusual combination is to be found in the person
of Walter S. D. Smith, of Pinckneyville, Illinois. He comes of a long
line of educated and cultured men and women, and it is no wonder that
he has the ability to speak words of weight and influence from the pulpit,
for the founder of his family in this country was a well known Scottish
divine. It is less easy to see where he gets his fine business instincts,
but he certainly has them, having held his present difficult position for
upwards of twenty years. He has not allowed absorption in other
things to keep him from observing closely the political and civic life of
the community, and the services thati he has rendered as a public servant



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 995

have been much appreciated by the people who repeatedly placed him
in positions of trust.

Reverend Walter Scott Dinsmore Smith, or ' ' Elder Smith, " as he is
called, represents one of the earliest of the newer families that settled in
Perry county, his father, Dr. George S. Smith, having settled here in
1862, about the time of the real development of Egypt. This branch
of the Smith family was founded in America about the middle of the
eighteenth century, its founder being Reverend Samuel Smith, who was
a native of Scotland. He had received a very fine education in the Uni-
versity of Edinburgh, Scotland, and on his arrival in America was made
a tutor in Princeton College. After he had severed his connection with
this famous old institution of learning he taught a select and very
popular school at Rahway, New Jersey, and here he died about 1795.
His wife was a Miss Baker, and Samuel B. Smith was the only child
to perpetuate the family name, his sister, Mary, living and dying a
spinster.

Samuel Baker Smith was born near Princeton, New Jersey, where
his father was engaged in both ministerial and educational work. The
date of his birth was 1790, and he received his early education from his
father. The atmosphere of his home while that of a Presbyterian minis-
ter, of the old school, was yet full of refinement, and if a bit austere and
straightlaced in many respects, yet furnished the lad with what to him
was meat and drink, that is books. He was a soldier in the War of 1812.
He was a man of rare intellectual gifts, which even the hard life of the
backwood's man could not smother. His wife was also from a family of
considerable mental attainments of the old German stock, being Martha
Siegfried, a daughter of the Reverend George Siegfried, a Baptist min-
ister and editor in Bucks county, Pennsylvania. Settling in eastern
Ohio prior to 1820, these two reared a family of ten children, of whom
two are still living. Mr. Smith died in 1858, at the age of about sixty-
eight, and his wife passed away at the age of sixty-two, in 1855. Their
children were James M., who died in Erie, Pennsylvania; Dr. George
S. ; Samuel, who did not live to maturity ; Sarah A., who became the wife
of John C. Hess and died at Iowa City, Iowa ; Simeon B., who lost his life
during the Civil war, wearing the uniform of the boys in blue ; Nathan
M. was a doctor and is buried at Kirksville, Missouri ; Mary, who married
Dr. A. C. Moore, and is now living in Cincinnati, Ohio ; Martha, who
married Rev. Charles Kimball ; William Wilgus, who was one of the
pioneer in telegraphy and went to the Pacific coast in 1849. Here he
built numerous lines of telegraph under contract, and later went into
the dreaded desert country of Nevada with the same purpose. Here,
near Wilgus, a town that was named for him, he was murdered by a
roving band of Indians, his horse being coveted by them. The two
younger children were Benjamin F., who passed his life in California
and Nevada, and Maria J., who became the wife of J. H. Arnold, of
Beallsville, Ohio, where they still live, honored parents of a numerous
family.

Dr. George Siegfried Smith was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania,
March 23, 1817, and received his literary education in Mount Pleasant,
Ohio. He later received his professional training in one of the medical
schools of Cincinnati, after a course of study under Dr. James Kirk-
patrick. He began to practice as an exponent of the regular school, but
in 1857 he became a converfto the eclectic system, and continued to up-
hold the tenets of this school to the end of his medical career of more
than sixty years. In 1858 he left Newport, Ohio (in which state, at
Beallsville, his son Walter was born January 12, 1845), and went to
Jefferson City, Missouri. He spent the next four years practicing his
profession near that place, and in 1862 came to Perry county, Illinois,



996 HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

where, and in Jackson and Williamson counties he spent the remainder
of his life. He married Rachel M. Garvin at Martin's Ferry, Ohio,
March 3, 1840. She was a daughter of James Garvin and Jane Dins-
more, who lived near Moundsville, West Virginia, all of the closing years
of their lives. Her father was a farmer and she was brought up as a
capable housewife, and became an able assistant to the doctor in his rather
trying profession. Mrs. Smith died near Sand Ridge, Illinois, December
22, 1866, leaving four children : Jennie, who is the widow of L. T. Ross, of
Pinckneyville, Illinois; Adoniram Judson, of Sand Ridge, Illinois;
Walter Scott Dinsmore; and Friend Smith, who was cashier of the
Murphy- Wall Bank in Pinckneyville for seventeen years and at the time
of his death. Dr. Smith was a Republican in his political beliefs, and in
his religious creed was a Baptist. He died in Pinckneyville April 2,
1902.

The larger number of the boyhood days of Walter S. D. were spent at
Newport, Ohio, and at Saint Mary 's, West Virginia, on the opposite side
of the Ohio river. He recently had the interesting experience of return-
ing to the haunts of his boyhood after an absence of fifty years. The
old, well remembered scenes had changed much, but here and there a
spot seemed to have stood still, and he could imagine himself a bare-foot
boy again. Not so his old friends, the little girl whom he had gazed at
timidly from behind the refuge of his speller was a grandmother, and
the boy who always used to play Indian with him, and run faster than
any of them, was all doubled up with rheumatism, but what fun it
was to talk over old times with them all.

The common schools gave Walter Scott Dinsmore Smith his early
training and to this was added a course in Shurtleff College, Alton, Illi-
nois. As a young man he engaged in farming, later turning to school
teaching as a means of livelihood. Before he was of age he was con-
scious of a call to the work of a minister, and at eighteen he was licensed
to preach by the authority of the Ebenezer Missionary Baptist church,
of which Rev. Josiah Lemen was then pastor. He has held different pas-
torates around Pinckneyville, and is yet subject to a call from the Nine
Baptist Association, of which body he served many years as clerk. He
has been clerk of the First Baptist church of Pinckneyville for about
forty years.

At the age of twenty-one W. S. D. Smith entered the court house
in Pinckneyville as deputy county clerk, under L. T. Ross, and remained
in this position for eight years. He was then elected to succeed his
chief and was repeatedly re-elected until he had spent twenty-five years
in this office. He retired December 1, 1890, and on the 1st of January,
1891, became bookkeeper and cashier of the Pinckneyville Milling Com-
pany, a position which he still holds. He is a Republican, who holds no
bitterness against those who do not think as he does, and in his public
service was known far and near for his courtesy and kindness to every-
one.

Reverend Smith was married on the llth of September, 1868, in
Pinckneyville, Illinois, to Laura Ann Gordon. She was a daughter of
James E. Gordon, one of the early settlers of Perry county and a noted
justice of the peace. Her mother was Lucy A. Jones, a sister of Hum-
phrey B. Jones, the founder of Pinckneyville and first county and circuit
clerk of Perry county, who was appointed in 1827. Of the Gordon chil-
dren there were William G. Gordon, deceased; Mary L., the widow of
Matthew Charlton, of Saint Louis; Lucy A., who married William E.
Dunn, a volunteer in the War of the Rebellion, who after the war took up
the shoe-making trade, and became the father of the Dunn Brothers, mer-
chants of Pinckneyville ; and Mrs. Smith, who was born on the 8th of
February, 1851.



HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 997

The children of the Reverend Smith and his wife are Elmer Gor-
don, cashier of the Southern Illinois Milling Company, at Murphysboro ;
Arthur C., who is secretary and treasurer of the Bessemer Coal and Min-
ing Company of Saint Louis ; Percy B., who is secretary of the Egyptian
Coal and Mining Company, also of Saint Louis ; Elsie, wife of S. J. Harry
Wilson, superintendent of the Pinckneyville schools ; Lucy, who married
Charles F. Gergen, president of the Gergen Coal Company ; and Stanley
U-., editor of the Searchlight, a weekly paper published at Marissa, Illi-
nois.

WILLIAM A. GRANT. Kind-hearted, affectionate, obliging, forgiving,
strong of mind, but though willing to listen to reason, but never showing
quarters to a business adversary ; willing to risk his own judgment in
business affairs, and has shown by his success that his judgment is good,
such is the record of William A. Grant. Having started with nothing
but his good name at the age of thirty-three, he has attained some dis-
tinction as a business man, being the leading jeweler of the city of Harris-
burg and owning large tracts of farm and coal land in Saline county. Be-
ing of a rugged type of citizen, he naturally enjoys outside life. He en-
joys his farms and is greatly interested in stock raising, also finding
pleasure in his elegant saddle horses and thorough-bred cattle.

The subject of this sketch was born in Carmi, Illinois, June 24, 1870,
the son of Alexander and Ruth Grant, and of Scotch ancestry. Born,
bred and educated in Forfar, Scotland, Alexander Grant lived there
until his first family were grown, when, in 1854, he sailed for America,
landing in New York. He made his way westward, where he might have
the benefit of the vast range for the raising of stock, in which he had al-
ways been very much interested, and his principal business was rais-
ing and dealing in stock, which he marketed in Evansville, Indiana, and



Online LibraryGeorge Washington SmithA history of southern Illinois : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people, and its principal interests (Volume v.2) → online text (page 66 of 80)