George Washington University.

Bulletin (Volume yr.1905) online

. (page 2 of 19)
Online LibraryGeorge Washington UniversityBulletin (Volume yr.1905) → online text (page 2 of 19)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Washington College of Engineering. The University Library has
undergone marked development, owing to special donations and
the establishment of a permanent library fund. Several thousand
volumes have been added by donation and purchase. The Law
Library is the best working library for its purposes in the District
outside the great Government collections. The Medical Library
has acquired over 1600 carefully selected volumes. The Arts and
Science Library has been thoroughly reorganized and its collec-
tions enriched by the purchase and donation of reference books.
By the generosity of Mr. Charles Heurich twentj^-five hundred dol-
lars has been contributed for the establishment of a library of Ger-
manic literature. Scientific publication has been fostered by the
Board of University Publications, as is evinced by the University
Bibliography appearing September 1, 1904, containing the titles
of the important publications of forty-nine members of the Facul-
ties, fifteen Doctors of Philosophy, and two Doctors of Civil Law,
and the two Scientific Fumbers of the University Bulletin is-
sued October and December, 1904, containing papers by members
of the Faculties and graduates, several of which were read at the
International Congress of Arts and Sciences in St. Louis. The
Board of Award appointed to adjudge and report on the relative
merits of the designs submitted by architects, in the competitive
contest, for the group of University buildings in Van Ness Park,


the new site of the University, accepted on May 13 the plans sub-
mitted by the firm of George B. Post and Son of New York. Hon-
orable mention was made of the design submitted by the lirm of
Hale and Morse. The jury was composed of Mr. Charles F. Mc-
Kim, Mr. Bernard E. Green, and Prof. Percy Ash. The designs show
ground plans for the disposition and arrangement of buildings in
Van Ness Park, and on the adjoining land to the north and west,
for the purchase of which the University holds an option, as well
as elevations of the several buildings contemplated for erection iu
the park. The accepted plans provide for a dignified group in
classical style to accord with the architecture of the White House
and other public buildings. The several members of the group are
well related and surround a large internal campus. The Memorial
Hall, a domed structure, with a portico of Corinthian columns, will
be situated on the corner of 17th and B Streets on an axis drawn
from the center of Van ISTess Park to the Washington Monument,
and as a memorial to George Washington will appropriately face
the monument and form the head of the entire group of college
and university buildings.

Department of Arts and Sciences: — (a) Columbian College:
The work of the College has been conducted in 21 university sub-
jects, by a corps of instruction numbering -IS. The instruction
has been distributed in 124 courses of study, aggregating 272 per-
iods of recitation, lecture, and laboratory work each week. The
registration of students this year is 443, an increase of 54 over last
year; in addition there have been 64 teachers from the public schools
of the District of Columbia enrolled in teacher's courses in the
College, making a total of 507 under instruction. The establish-
ment of the Department of Economics in charge of Professor C. W.
A. Veditz, Ph.D., is of great importance to the College. New in-
structors have been appointed in Latin and Greek, in Mathematics,
in English, in History, in Architecture, and in Eomance Lan-
guages, making it possible to divide large classes, to olfer new
courses, and to provide some relief where burdens of instruction had
grown too heavy. New books have been purchased for the library
and under the careful administration of the Library Committee
and a very efficient librarian the new library fee has been made to


contribute at once to the strengthening of the educational work.
This library fee as an assurance of constant accessions to the library
is an important encouragement. In addition, the generous gift
of Mr. Heurich of $2500 for establishing the nucleus of a Ger-
manic library is all that is needed to place our library in a condi-
tion of entire respectability. The needs of the laboratories are
pressing. The crowded condition of University Hall was relieved
in the winter by the renting of the house at 813 Fifteenth Street
for the department of Architecture and for Zoology. This is only
partial relief. Already the department of Architecture needs more
room and other arrangements should be made for the courses in
Zoology. The department of Physics is so cramped for space that
the eflBciency of the work is seriously limited. A room is needed
for Botany, and another laboratory is needed by the department
of Chemistry. The subjects most in need of revision and organi-
zation at the present time are the engineering subjects. The in-
crease of registration in these subjects is phenomenal. The con-
stantly increasing enrollment constitutes an opportunity not to be
ignored, and it is conceded that the common interests of the engi-
neering subjects constitute them a natural group which should be
organized in a distinct department of engineering.

(b) Division of Graduate Studies: — The number of students ad-
mitted to candidature to higher degrees was 74, a gain of 21 over
the records of 1903. Of these, one received the Ph. D. degree at
the midwinter convocation, while 15 received their degress at the
late commencement. The Doctorate Disputation was held on the
morning of May 22, at ten o'clock. There were three candidates
for the Doctor's degree, Mr. Ray Smith Bassler, A.B., M.S., of
Ohio; Mr. Hiram Colver McNeil, B.S., M.S., of Ohio; and Mr.
Henry Alfred Pressey, B.S., of Maine. These candidates were
recommended for the degrees by the boards of specialists. During
the year the faculty has been strengthened by the addition of C. W.
A. Veditz, Ph.D., as Professor of Economics; George Lansing
Raymond, L.H.D., as Professor of Esthetics; Williston S. Hough,
Ph.D., as Professor of Philosophy; Edgar Buckingham, Ph.D., as
Lecturer on Thermodynamics; Frederick Fowle, Jr., S.B., as Lec-
turer on Astrophysics. Mr. Fowle is associated with Dr. S. P.


Langley, and through him oui- advanced students have access to the
unique methods of research carried on under Dr. Langley's direc-
tion at the Astrophysical Observatory.

. Depaktment of Medicine: — (a) Faculty of Medicine: — The
total registration was 298 students, distributed as follows: first-
year class, 73; second-year class, 81; third-year class, 71; fourth-
year class, 74. The examinations for graduation have been com-
pleted with the result that out of 70 candidates appearing, 59 passed
successfully. With three candidates who passed at the fall exami-
nation the total number of graduates was 62, the largest number in
the history of the Department. Several important improvements
and additions have been made. A reference library intended for
students' use has been established. The gift by Mrs. Lincoln of
the library of her husband, the late Dr. N. S. Lincoln, for years a
distinguished professor in this Department, formed an excellent
nucleus. Other gifts have been received from various sources and
another large one has just been made by an alumnus, Dr. Isaac
W. Brewer, TJ. S. A. One hundred and eighty volumes of the most
approved recent medical works have been added by purchase. Ad-
ditional tables have been added to the Anatomical Laboratory and
the Histological Laboratory. The cold-storage room, used for the
preservation of anatomical material has just been remodeled and is
in excellent condition, and an average temperature of 20 degrees
is maintained with ease. A number of minor but important and
necessary additions were made to the equipment of the Pathological,
Bacteriological, and Histological Laboratories, and a good deal of
new apparatus was added to the Physiological Laboratory.

A change has been made in the order in which the subjects in the
curriculum are taught. This change was made with a view to ob-
tain a more logical connection between the constituent parts of
the medical course. The experience of the year closing appears to
bear out the wisdom of the change. Beginning wdth next session
as has already been set forth in the catalogue, a still further devel-
opmput of this change will go into effect. Briefly stated, the stu-
dent will devote three years to lecture, recitation, and laboratory
work; his fourth year he will spend practically in clinical work in
the hospitals and out-patient dispensary services, studying and


familiarizing himself with disease as presented in actuality. At
the end of his fourth year, he will stand a final examination in all
the subjects covered in the four years' course. The minimum
standard for entrance is now that equivalent to graduation from a
four-year high school. There is a growing tendency to increase this
standard and to require a baccalaureate degree. During the session
now closing, a larger amount of clinical instruction has been given
in our own Hospital than heretofore. In our own Hospital there
Avere given 20 medical amphitheater clinics by the Professor of
Practice and 18 surgical amphitheater clinics by the Professors of
Clinical Surgery (including Gynecology and Ophthalmology).
One hundred and twenty ward-classes in Clinical Medicine and 25
ward-classes in Clinical Surgery were conducted. Some idea of
the amount of work represented and of the instruction given may
be formed from the fact that these classes represent an average of
30 students for one hour, or a total attendance for the session of
3600 students for one hour.

(b) Faculty of Dentistry: — During the past year there were en-
rolled a total of 68 students, 19 in the first-year class, 15 in the
second-year class, and 34 in the third-year class. The work of the
Dental Infirmary has been more extensive than ever. Improve-
ments have been made in the regular lecture courses, additional
lecturers have been appointed and the equipment is being enlarged
in the Infirmary and Technic plants.

Departments of Lav/, and Jurisprudence and Diplomacy : —
The attendance in the Department of Law was 466, distributed as
follows: first-year class, 160; second-year, 118; third-3^ear. 111;
special, etc., 77. The total registration in the Department of
Jurisprudence and Diplomacy was 52, of whom 26 were candidates
for the LL. M. degree, 10 for the M. Dip. degree, 4 for the D. C. L.
degree, with 12 special students. There are now five instructors
devoting their whole time to the development of the subjects en-
trusted to them and beginning in October, 1905, instruction will
be given in the morning as well as in the afternoon hours +o the
students of all three classes in the undergraduate course. A new
adjustment of the work in these departments has been made so that,
beginning with October, 1905, the Department of Law and Juris-


prudence will conduct the undergraduate courses in the broader
field of general law, and the new Departments of Politics and Diplo-
macj^ will conduct graduate courses in the realm of political science,
special attention being given to diplomacy. The degree given in
graduate courses in the Departments of Law and Jurisprudence are
Master of Laws, Master of Patent Law, and Doctor of Jurispru-
dence. Judge Charles H. Duell, of the Court of Appeals, has been
appointed Lecturer on substantive Patent Law.

Department op Politics and Diplomacy: — This department
now constitutes a distinct branch of tlie graduate professional work
of the University. As the organization is not yet completed, a full
statement of the faculty and its courses of study will be given in a
special announcement. The name is meant to indicate in a broad
way the following general divisions of study: (1) The struc-
tures and administration of the state or body politic; (2) Eco-
nomics, the production, movement, distribution, and consump-
tion of things and services; (8) International Law and Diplo-
macy — the obligations and relations of states to one another.
The requirement for admission is the completion of a liberal under-
graduate course of study such as is deemed essential by colleges of
good standing for the attainment of the baccalaureate degree. The
degrees conferred are Master of Diplomacy and Doctor of Philos-
ophy. Since the publication of the University Catalogue the fol-
lowing additional instructors have been appointed : IT. Parker
Willis, Ph. D., now head of the Department of Economics in Wash-
ington and Lee University, Professor of Finance; Williston S.
Hough, Ph. D., recently of the University of ]\Iinnesota, Professor
of the Philosophy of Government; and James C. Monaghan, A. ^f.,
Lecturer on the Consular Service.

Student Life : — Student activities liave been noteworthy during
the past session. The Association of Class Presidents has done ef-
fective work in concentrating student energies toward the consum-
mation of desirable ends. This has been seen especially in their
organization of the Editorial Board of the University Annual,
" The Mall." The students' weekly publication, " The Hatcliet,"
is now well established. IniercoUegiate dehaiinrf is managed by
a central body called the "Intercollegiate Debating Council." com-


posed of one representative of each of the four debating societies,
with two members of the faculty and two alumni. There have
been three debates during the year : The George Washington-Vir-
ginia Debate, held at the University of Virginia, February 25, won
by Virginia; the George Washington- Washington and Lee Debate,
held in Washington, March 3, won by our University; and the
George Washington-Georgetown Debate, held in Georgetown Uni-
versity, May 27, won by our University, which has been victor in
two out of three debates in the series arranged three years ago.
The Classical Club has held public sessions with addresses by Pro-
fessor Thomas Day Seymour of Yale, Professor W. N. Bates of the
University of Pennsylvania, and Professor E. M. Pease formerly
of Leland Stanford University. In regard to Athletics, the story
of the season of 1904, in football, evinces great progress, when com-
pared with that of 1903. In the former year seven games were
played, and only two were won; in the latter eight games were
played and only two were lost. The baseball record, while not
gratifying in the number of games won, yet shows good results in
the improved work of the team, and the steadily increasing interest
on the part of the student body. Other evidences of real university
life are to be found in the success of such organizations as the
Glee Club, the Dramatic Club, the Canoe Club, and the Tennis and
Chess Clubs.

The Eighty-fourth Annual Commencement: — On Sunday
afternoon. May 28, at 4 p. m., the University Procession, with trus-
tees, faculty, and students in academic dress, formed at University
Hall, and marched to Memorial Continental Hall, where all the
commencement exercises were held. Here the baccalaureate ser-
mon was preached by the Eev. Wallace Radcliffe, D.D., LL.D.,
pastor of the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church, from the
text "I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision" (Acts, 26,
19). On Monday evening. May 29, occurred the commencement
of the Departments of Medicine and Dentistry. The address was
by Professor Charles E. Munroe, Ph.D., on '' The Lord Protector's
Motto: Qui cessat esse melior, cessat esse honus." The degree of
M.D. was conferred on 61 candidates; of D.D.S. on 23 candi-
dates. On Tuesday evening. May 30, occurred the commencement


of the Departments of Law, and Jurisprudence and Diplomacy.
The address was by Hon. Henry M. Hoyt, Solicitor-General of the
United States, on "The Law and the Community." The degree
of LL. B. was conferred on 86 candidates; of M. P. L. on 16; of
LL. M. on 18; of M. Dip. on 4; and of D. C. L. on 3 candidates.
On the evening of May 31, at 10.30 o'clock, occurred the com-
mencement of the Department of Arts and Sciences. The address
was by President Needham on " The University." The number of
candidates who received degrees was: B. A., 7; B, S., 14; C. E., 1;
M. E., 3; M. S., 5; M. A., 3; Ph. D., 3. The honorary degree of
Doctor of Divinity was conferred on Eev. Charles Hastings Dodd,
pastor of Eutaw Place Baptist Church, Baltimore, Md.


The first alumni association of the Columbian College, as the
institution was then called, was formed on Commencement Day
in 1847. Twenty-seven alumni met on the evening of July 14, and
organized by the election of Dr. William Collins, a Bachelor of
Arts of the Class of 1825, as president. The Constitution adopted
at the meeting in 1848 stated the objects of the association in the
following words:

" The objects of this association shall be the cultivation of friend-
ship and union among its members, the promotion of the interests
of their alma mater, and the general advancement of literature."

Membership at first was restricted to those having the degree of
Bachelor of Arts, and although the college began to confer the
degree of Bachelor of Philosophy in 1854, it was not until 1857
that holders of this degree were admitted to the association. The
old records are interesting, and contain the names of many alumni
who have been prominent in affairs of Church and State. The at-
tendance at the meetings was never large, but considerable activity
was displayed. Thus during one year plans were obtained and work
done in laying out and improving the college grounds. On the
other hand, it appears that it took one committee seven years to
prepare a circular to be sent to the alumni urging them to join the

Regular meetings were held annually until 1861, and usually on


Commencement Day. During the war no meetings were held, but
they were resumed in 1865, and continued until 1874. Then came
an interval of twelve years, until 1886, when a call was issued to
alumni of the college, and in June a meeting was held at the Uni-
versity at which twenty-eight graduates were present. An organi-
zation was effected and officers elected at this meeting. In Feb-
ruary, 1887, the College Alumni Association called a meeting of the
graduates of all departments and schools of the University to dis-
cuss the advisability of forming a general Alumni Association, to
include in its membership any person who had received a degree
from the University, and on February 38 the present association
was formed. At the annual meeting of the Association in April,
1904, the name of the Association was changed to correspond to the
new name of the University.

During the eighteen years of the life of the present Association
much work has been done, and material help has been given to the
University. The Association holds a business meeting each year,
arranges for a banquet or other social meeting, and at times has
meetings for special purposes. For a number of years it provided
the funds for periodicals for the University reading-room; it has
published the memorial addresses in honor of Professor E. T. Fris-
toe and Judge Walter S. Cox; it has issued to alumni letters and
circulars almost innumerable in aid of various University projects,
and for the purpose of keeping the graduates more fully informed
of the progress and development of the University. In 1891 it
issued an "Historical Catalogue" of the University, which was
much more elaborate and complete than any previously published.

The roll of alumni is a long one. Since the foundation of the
University in 1831, there have been conferred 6378 degrees upon
5016 persons. Of these, the addresses of more than 3300 are
known, and the Alumni Association keeps in touch with all of them.
The list contains the names of many who have won distinction in
education, in the pulpit, at the bar, in war, in statesmanship, in
diplomacy, in administration. At this time, alumni in the army
hold various ranks, from lieutenant to brigadier-general; in the
navy, from lieutenant to admiral; in the departmental service, from
clerk to cabinet officer. In the legislative branch we have repre-


sentatives in the House and in the Senate of the United States; in
the Judicial branch, our graduates are found in the District and
Circuit Courts; in the diplomatic and consular services we claim
ministers, secretaries, consuls. Not alone in the service of the na-
tion but in every state of the union, in Europe, in South America,
in the Far East, in India, are found our graduates. And wherever
they are, in whatever work they are engaged, they rank well among
the leaders and doers.

The Association has recently established an Alumni Scholarship
in the college, and contributes each year an amount sufficient to
pay the tuition fees of at least one student. ISTominations for this
scholarship may be made by any alumnus, and the award is made
by a committee appointed by the executive committee of the As-

With the recent great developments in university activities,
which promise a rapid growth in every direction, the time has
seemed ripe to promote the organization of Alumni Associations
in various parts of the country. An extended trip through the
West was made by President Needham in the summer of 1904, in
which he met large numbers of the alumni, and aroused great in-
terest in the University. This resulted in the formation of several
associations in the West. At this time there are in existence the
Puget Sound Alumni Association, of Seattle ; the Colorado Alumni
Association, Denver; the Salt Lake City Alumni Association, and
the N'ew York Alumni Association.

Preliminary moves have been made by alumni at Boston, Chicago,
and Los Angeles, and permanent organizations are probable in the
near future in these and other cities.

The present activities of the alumni are concerned with Alumni
Hall, for the building of which, on the new University site, $150,-
000 will be needed. An active and efficient committee has been
formed who are working on a definite plan in soliciting subscrip-
tions. The results thus far achieved are so encouraging that it is
believed a beginning can be made on the building during the com-
ing year. This hall is to be the social center of University life
for students, faculties, and graduates. It is to contain parlors,
reading rooms, dining-rooms, meeting rooms for committees and


organizations, and chambers which may be rented by visiting
alumni. It will be conducted largely as a club, and will meet a
want long felt by resident and visiting alumni.

All alumni are to have the benefit, upon payment of either a
capital sum of $100 or of annual dues, of the use of the Alumni
Hall as a club-house. Non-resident alumni, visiting the city, can
have lodging rooms in the building. The purpose of this plan is to
bring the alumni and student body into closer relations, securing
for the alumni all the privileges of a handsome club-house, for the
students the valuable association with the graduates, and for the
University the continued interest and support of the graduate body.

Although merely preliminary efforts in the canvass have been
made, pledges to the amount of several thousand dollars have
already been secured, payable in five annual instalments. This is
a promising beginning and the fund ought to be very rapidly in-
creased by subscriptions of the alumni. Success in the efforts of
the President of the University to secure from various sources con-
tributions for the University must largely depend upon the inter-
est shown by the alumni themselves in supporting the institution
from which they hold their degrees. Many may be unable to con-
tribute any large sum, but very few cannot contribute something.

Voluntary contributions of from $25 to $1000 are therefore
solicited from alumni, payable in five annual instalments. Pledges
may be sent to the Secretary of the Alumni Association, Professor
H. L. Hodgkins, at the University.

This building ought to be the first of the University buildings
to be begun and no doubt should be entertained as to its early



Officers, 1904-1905

WnxiAM Bbuce King.

Dk. Gkorge N. Acker. John Joy Edson.

Alois B. Browne. Henry F. Woodard.

2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Online LibraryGeorge Washington UniversityBulletin (Volume yr.1905) → online text (page 2 of 19)