Grace Powers (Thomas) Knudson.

Where to educate, 1898-1899: a guide to the best private schools online

. (page 39 of 42)
Online LibraryGrace Powers (Thomas) KnudsonWhere to educate, 1898-1899: a guide to the best private schools → online text (page 39 of 42)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tuition is from $20 to $25 for a term of twelve weeks; $180 to
$200 will cover all necessary expenses for the school year. The
graduates of the normal and business courses are assisted tO'
positions. Those completing the college preparatory course are
admitted to most colleges on certificate. " A practical school for
practical people " is the motto.

PENSIONNAT FRANCAIS DE L'ACADEHIE du Vermont,
and training school for teachers of French, Saxton's River. This
institution, founded in 1887, was introduced to the public by Dr.
H. M. Willard, now of Quincy Mansion School, in the following
words : " Both Professor and Madame Roux are excellent teachers
of great experience. Their mastery of the French language and
literature, and their command of the English, ensure the success
of all persons who wish to make rapid progress in French, and to
become able to read it with ease and speak it with fluency. Wish-
ing to educate their own children at Vermont Academy, they have
come to Saxton's River, and are now prepared to receive into
their family a few pupils desiring to make French a specialty.
Such students can have at the same time the advantages offered
at the academy by its courses of study in music and art. The
opportunity of living in a French family of culture and refinement,
of hearing and speaking French alone, is second only to a resi-
dence in France." The Pensionnat has a beginners' intermediate,
and advanced course, and French is the language of the house.
The training school has an elementary (one year's) and an ad-
vanced (two years') course. The number of pupils is limited.
Address Rev. L. C. Roux, M. A., Saxton's River, near Bellows
Falls, Vt.

VERMONT ACADEMY (co-educational), Saxton's River,
Edward EUery, Ph. D., Principal. Two courses of study are
offered, the classical and the scientific. There are also special
courses in music and art. The classical course aims to give a
maximum preparation for college. The scientific course is in-
tended to prepare students for the scientific schools, for the
scientific course of colleges, and to afford a general training to
those who do not propose to enter a higher institution of learning.
Laboratory work in the sciences, an extra year in mathematics,
and full courses in history are offered. The advantages arising
from the study of one of the classic languages are fully recognized,
and the scientific course includes two years of Latin. The military

355




3S''>



Va.



WHERE TO EDUCATE.



Ashland'^



course is now in charge of an ofificer of the National Guard, and
the work is carried on with the intention of conforming as nearly
as possible to the methods used in schools where military instruc-
tion is given by officers of the United States Army.



VIRGINIA.

MARTHA WASHINGTON COLLEGE AND CONSERVA=
TORY OF MUSIC, Abingdon, the Rev. W. M. Dyer, A.M.,
President, is situated amid the mountains of Southwest Virginia,
The departments of "instruction include primary, intermediate,
academic, and collegiate, in addition to the Conservatory of
Music and schools of art, elocution, and business. The degrees
conferred are M. E. L., B. S., and A. B. The school is under
the auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Teachers
are selected with reference to their Christian character as well as
their ability. The scholastic year is divided into two terms.
Board per term, including furnished room, servants' attendance,,
light, and fuel, $75.

THE RANDOLPH=MACON SYSTEM OF COLLEGES AND
ACADEniES is something unique among educational enter-
prises. It comprises live institutions : (i) Randolph-Macon Col-
lege, at Ashland, Va., chartered in 1830; (2) Randolph-Macon
Academy, Bedford City,
Va., established in 1890;
(3) Randolph-Macon Acad-
emy, Front Royal, Va.,
established in 1892 ; (4)
Randolph-Macon Woman's
College, Lynchburg, Va.,
established in 1893 ; and
(5) Randolph-Macon Insti-
tute, Danville, Va., admitted
in 1897. These five institu-
tions are owned by one
self-perpetuating board of
trustees, under the presi-
dency of Bishop John C.
Granbery, D. D., chartered
by the State of Virginia,
which has been entrusted
by public-spirited Christian
men and women with nearly
three-quarters of a million dollars for the purpose of providing
the best facilities for the education of young men and women

357




WM. W. SMITH, A. M., LL.D., CHANCELLOR.



Alexandria. WHERE TO EDUCATE. Va.

under Christian influences. It is not sought or desired to influ-
ence the denominational preferences of students, but the officers
in charge consider themselves under obligations to conform to the
moral standards and religious usages of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, South, under whose auspices the institutions were estab-
lished. The work is entirely benevolent. There are no stock-
holders, nor are the executive ofificers financially interested. The
endowment interest, students' fees, and other funds contributed
for the purpose are applied to the best advantage for the making
of noble men and women, and not for the making of money for
any one. Any surplus of receipts is at once applied to improving
the facilities or enlarging the corps of instructors. The system
admits of enlargement and expansion and, without doubt, will
continue to grow in power and usefulness. Correspondence on
business of the system as a whole should be addressed to Wm.
W. Smith, A. M., LL.D., Chancellor of the Randolph-Macon
System, Lynchburg, Va.

EPISCOPAL HIGH SCHOOL OF VIRGINIA, near Alex
andria. The diocesan school for boys of the three Virginia
dioceses, established in 1839. Seated upon a commanding
plateau three miles west of Alexandria, the situation is singularly
healthy at all seasons. Its elevation affords a magnificent view
of the Potomac, of Washington (with capitol, library, and monu-
ment), and of the surrounding country for many miles. Though
close to the Theological Seminary, its only connection therewith
is in being held by the same trustees. The playgrounds are
extensive and include a gymnasium and skating lake. Improve-
ments during the past seven years in buildings and equipment
cost nearly $35,000. The present principal, L. M. Blackford,
M. A., has'been in charge since 1S70. There is one all inclusive
charge of %izo per year.

RANDOLPH=nACON COLLEGE (men), Ashland, John A.
Kern, I). D., President, has been maintained for nearly seventy
years as one of the leading colleges of the South. The location
is distinguished for healthfulness and accessibility, being on the
line of the Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac Railroad,
sixteen miles north of Richmond, upon an elevated plateau. The
campus, of about twelve acres, is beautiful, and shaded by a fine
grove of oaks and maples. The buildings, besides professors'
residences, are eight dormitories, the Pace Lecture Room Building
and Chemical Laboratory, the Duncan Memorial Chapel, the
halls of the literary societies, the gymnasium, and the Pettyjohn
Hall of Science. Besides the college library, containing about
ten thousand volumes, there is the Walton Classical Library, with
an endowment of $1,000. The college courses lead to the degrees

35S



Va.



WHERE TO EDUCATE.



Berkley.



of Ph. B., B. A., and M. A. The necessary expenses per half
session for board, washing, lights, fuel, matriculation fee, medical
fee, and tuition fees in three schools are $95. Applications for
rooms or information with regard to the college should be
addressed to Capt. Richard Irby, secretary and treasurer, Ash-
land, Va.

RANDOLPH=nACON ACADEMY, Bedford City, E. Sumter
Smith, Principal. RANDOLPH=nACON ACADEMY, Front
Royal, C. L. Melton, A. M., Acting Principal. These duplicate
institutions are distinctively academies for boys, ranking in work




between the preparatory home school and the college course.
Their purpose is to prepare youths for college or university, or
for business life, under the most wholesome moral influences.
The grounds are commodious, and the buildings were erected at
a cost of $80,000 each upon the most approved plans. The
suggestions of the " Committee of Ten " are given due considera-
tion in the course of study, which includes primary studies, history,
languages, mathematics, science, drawing, music, and the Sargent
system of physical culture. These subjects are distributed over
a period of five years, the classes being known as forms. A
physician is in regular attendance at the home, and a matron gives
careful attention to all the needs of the boys. The expenses are
$211.60 for the session.

RYLAND INSTITUTE, Berkley, the Rev. A. E. Owen, D. D.,
President, is a private institution founded by Miss Lula M. Butt,
and incorporated by an act of the General Assembly of Virginia,
1S92. It is a non-sectarian school for young ladies. Founded
in Suffolk, Va., in 1889, it soon outgrew all the building facilities

359



Bristol.



WHERE TO EDUCATE.



Va.



of that city, and was removed in 1893 to its present location. A
select home school conducted under the highest Christian influ-
ences, the Institute offers a thoroughly practical education. The
Home Department is presided over by Mrs. A. E. Owen, assisted
by competent helpers, who give constant attention to the comfort,
health, and need of the pupils.

SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA INSTITUTE, Bristol, W. H. Tharp,
A. M., President, was organized for regular work in the summer
of 1884. The property is. held in trust by a board of trustees
appointed by the Baptist General Association of Virginia, and is
the property of the Baptist denomination. The school up to




STUDY HALL, RANDOLPH-MACON ACADEMY.

June, 1893, was located at Glade Spring, Washington County, Va.
The building is a four story brick and stone structure, with pressed
brick front. It contains 165 rooms, is steam-heated, and is lighted
by gas and electricity. The Institute, which admits young women
only, consists of an academic department proper and a conserva-
tory of music and art. In the former department there are
primary, preparatory, and collegiate branches. The full college
courses lead to the degrees of A. B. and A. M. Board, furnished
room, fuel, light, tuition in literary department, and physical
culture, $225. Tuition in regular course: Primary department,
$25 ; preparatory department, $40; collegiate department, $60.

RANDOLPH=MACON INSTITUTE, Danville, Wm. Holmes
Davis, A. B., Principal, is a high grade seminary preparatory to
the Woman's College. Its course begins with the primary studies,
and carries the work to complete the student's preparation for
advanced college classes. An extra year is added for those who
desire to complete their education at the Institute. Courses in
music, elocution, art, and physical culture are also offered. The
students and teachers form one household. The charges for

360



Va. WHERE TO EDUCATE. //o/h/is.

boarding pupils in the literary courses are $87.50 for the half
session.

HAMPDEN SIDNEY COLLEGE, Hampden Sidney, Prince
Edward County, Richard Mclhvaine, D. D., President, was founded
in 1775, and incorporated by the Legislature of Virginia in 1783.
It has been from the beginning non-sectarian in its organization
and instruction, and while historically, and in sympathy and ser-
vice, closely allied to the Presbyterian Church, has been patronized
by members of all denominations, and done much for the upbuild-
ing of Christianity, irrespective of denominational lines, not only
in Virginia, but throughout the country. There are spacious
athletic grounds, capacious buildings, well supplied laboratories, a
gymnasium furnished with modern apparatus, and a library of
fifteen thousand volumes. Hampden Sidney is a curriculum col-
lege. The degrees granted on prescribed courses are : B. A., B. L.,
B. S., and M. A. Entire annual expense, $212 to $225. Students
for the ministry and sons of Christian clergymen of any denomi-
ation who need assistance are received without tuition fee.

HAHPTON COLLEGE, Hampton, Miss Bessie L, Fitchett.
Principal. This institution is delightfully located on Hampton
River, one of the many estuaries from Hampton Beach and Chesa-
peake Bay. In common with other similar localities, so near as
this is to the Atlantic Ocean, it is remarkably healthy by reason
of the extremely saline character of the waters which continually
ebb and flow past the lawn which fronts the river. It is fifteen
minutes' ride from Fortress Monroe, and in close communication
with the North, South, and West. The buildings are all new,
well ventilated, well heated, and lighted by electricity. The
course of instruction embraces all the studies included in a
thorough classical education. A limited number of young ladies
only is taken. The expenses for the year are $250.

HOLLINS INSTITUTE is located in Roanoke County, seven
miles from the city of Roanoke. The picturesque mountain
scenery, the invigorating atmosphere, and the extensive grounds,
covering one hundred and fifty acres, are features of this school.
The six main buildings are of brick, and accommodate one hundred
and seventy-five boarding pupils. A resident physician has charge
of the health of the students. The institution when founded in
1842 was co-educational, but subsequently became exclusively a
school for young women. While unsectarian, the institute is
marked by high religious ideals. The school has numerous courses,
and grants degrees. Full board and tuition in literary studies
varies from $225 to $246. The school maintains high standards
of instruction under eight male professors (university graduates)

361



Lc7i<istoii.



WlII'-.Rl'; TO EDUCATE.



Va.



and fiflccii lady teachers, of varied accomplishments. Located in
the great and beautiful Valley of Virginia, a region abounding
with schools, and redolent of health at all seasons, it attracts pupils
from a broad area, — South, West, and North, — and its accommo-
dations are usually fully occupied. Charles L. Cocke, A. M., is the
Ceneral Superintendent. P. O., Hollins, Virginia.

BEL- AIR, a select school for young ladies, near Lewiston,
Spottsylvania County, Miss N. Y\. Scott, Principal. The situation
of the school has been pronounced by medical authority singularly
healthy ; and its remarkable health record has sustained that
opinion. It has the combined advantages of daily communication
with Richmond and Charlottesville by the C. cSc (). R. R. with that
of quiet surroundings antl freedom from distractions, and pleasant



\ — - ■■■ ' — '-








.1,,




"^


w\


■ '*!


i


i

4










^


Ik




^^


Ha


Rm


%.




w;







MOLLINS INSTITUTE.



seclusion, so conducive to study, while the atmosphere of the
school and its society have been found so healthful and bright
that the girls have been in most cases remarkably happy at Bel-
air. The position of the school among the historic places of
Spottsylvania County gives opportunity for interesting excursions ;
and great attention is paid to recent periods of history, as vi'ell as
those more remote. Daily exercise is part of the school routine,
and usually consists of walks in the open air or tennis. The
manners of the girls receive careful attention, and ladylike con-
duct is expected at all times. The credentials of the principal
are from the University of Virginia. The session is one of nine
months, as much as three weeks being allowed as holidays, part
at Christmas, part at Kaster, and part elsewhere in the session.
Besides the regular course, a short course, preparatory to a sum-
mer tour in Europe with Miss Scott, is provided. Terms for
short course and tour, $Soo. The object of the school is to fur-
nish to the group of girls under its care the circumstances that

362



Va. WHERE TO EDUCATE. Lyiichbiiri^r.

have usually formed the features of a Virginia home, — a simple
style of living, a high course of study, and access to a well chosen
old library, to which judicious additions are made from time to
time. Bel-air is an old colonial house to which modern and well
ventilated rooms have been added, so as to supply comfortable
apartments for sixteen young ladies. Terms for board, tuition,
and music, $193.

WASHINGTON AND LEE UNIVERSITY, Lexington, the
Hon. Wm. L. Wilson, LL. JJ., President, is the modern develop-
ment of a " log college " erected beneath the shadow of the Blue
Ridge in the Valley of Virginia, in the year 1749. The founder
of the colonial school, styled at first the Augusta Academy, was
Robert Alexander, who had received his education in the Lfniver-
sity of Edinburgh. In 1774 the Hanover I-'resbytery assumed
control over the "log temple of learning," the Rev. William
Graham being brought from Princeton to act as head master, and
in 1776 the Presbytery gave the school the name of Liberty Hall
Academy. In 1782 it was chartered by the Commonwealth of
Virginia, and in the closing years of the eighteenth century was
renamed Washington Academy, in honor of George Washington,
who aided the institution by liberal gifts. In 18 13 the title of the
school was changed to that of the College of Washington in Vir-
ginia. From 1 86 1 to 1865 the halls of Washington College were
practically closed. At the close of the war General Robert K.
Lee was elected to the presidency, and on his death, in 1870, a
new charter of incorporation was secured for " The Washington
and Lee University," which was presided over until 1897 by the
son of Robert Lee, and since that date by the Hon. W. L. Wilson,
the well-known member of President Cleveland's Cabinet, and
chairman of the Ways and Means Committee of the House.
Washington and Lee University has an unrivalled location, an
excellent material equipment, and three general courses of instruc-
tion : Academic, engineering, and law.

RANDOLPH=nACON WOMAN'S COLLEGE, Lynchburg,
William W. Smith, A. M., LL. I)., President. This college is
officially classed by the United States Commissioner of Education
in " Division A " as one of the fourteen leading colleges for
women in the United States. It is the only one south of the
Potomac River that is so classed. In 189 1 its central idea was
expressed in the following resolution of its founders : " We wish to
establish in Virginia a college where our young women may ob-
tain an education equal to that given in our best colleges for
young men, and under environments in harmony with Southern
ideals of womanhood; where the dignity and strength of fully



Newport N'eivs.



WHERE TO EDUCATE.



Va.



developed faculties and the charm of the highest literary culture
may be acquired by our daughters without loss of woman's crown-
ing glor}', her gentleness and grace." The buildings, placed in a
campus of twenty acres, are of modern construction, and are fully
equipped for college work. The courses of the college instruction
lead to the degrees of B. Let., A. B., and A, M. The endowment
reduces the cost of the regular literary courses to $125 for each
half year. Superior courses are offered in music and art.

NEWPORT NEWS MILITARY ACADEMY, Newport News,
Edward W. Huffman, Principal, was founded in 1894. Its loca-
tion in Newport News, both a winter and a summer resort, and the
eastern terminus of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway system, is
very fortunate. The building is of brick, and is supplied with
electric lights, hot and cold water, baths, and all modernconven-






%%M




RANDOLPH-MACON WOMAN'S COLLEGE, LYNCH15URG.



iences. There are preparatory, academic, and business depart-
ments. Preparation is given for West Point, Annapolis, Harvard,
Yale, Virginia, and all similar institutions. Expenses per half ses-
sion, payable in advance : Academic department, including board,
tuition, fuel, lights, and furnished room, $100; preparatory depart-
ment $95 ; day students, academic department, tuition, $25 ; pre-
paratory department, tuition, $20 ; commercial school, tuition for
the whole course, $25.

TILESTON HALL, Old Point Comfort, Ruth G. Tileston and
Laura E. Tileston, Principals. This school opened its eleventh
year in October, 1898. It is delightfully located, overlooking
Chesapeake Bay, and, as the climate of Old Point compares favor-
ably with the famous health resorts of the Mediterranean and
Southern California, it has proved especially desirable for delicate
pupils, or those requiring the out-of-door life prohibited by

364



Va. WHERE TO EDUCATE. Onancock.

Northern winters. It is a college preparatory home and day
school. A limited number of girls is received into the boarding
department, also young ladies desiring special work in languages,
art, or music. Board and tuition for the regular course, including
German, is $400 per annum ; French, music, and art extra.

MARGARET ACADEMY, Onancock, the Rev. R. A. Robinson,
B. A., B. D., Principal. In 1786 the General Assembly of Vir-
ginia granted a charter for the establishment of " Margaret Acad-
emy on the Eastern Shore of Virginia." She thus stands among
the oldest preparatory schools in the United States ; her history
has been enriched by three generations of graduates. The acad-
emy opens her doors to both sexes, and the design is to prepare




TILESTON HALL.



her students to enter the higher classes in the leading institutions
of learning ; or, where this is not contemplated, to enter at once
on the active duties of life. She seeks, by holding up high ideals
of moral and intellectual worth, to develop her students into men
and women of cultured minds, sterling character, and elegant
manners. The music department, including both vocal and in-
strumental, is under the direction of a highly accomplished pianist
and an experienced teacher. The buildings and grounds are
extensive and beautifully located. The entire expenses of a pupil
per session for board, fuel, lights, washing, and tuition, not includ-
ing music, will range from $135 to $210, according to age and
grade of studies.

365



PortsmoiUh. WHERE TO EDUCATE. Va.

THE PORTSMOUTH ACADEMY AND COMMERCIAL
NIGHT SCHOOL, Portsmouth, W. H. Stokes, Principal, was
established under the present management in 1868. The design
of the school is to give boys a thorough training in the studies
usually pursued in academies, — to prepare them for college and
the United States military and naval academies, — or to fit them
at once for the daily duties of life. The academic department is
mainly designed for boys, and is under the immediate instruction
of the principal. The primary department, though intended
mainly for little girls, admits boys under nine years of age.
Terms per month: Academic, $3.25; primary, $2; bookkeeping
(per course of twenty lessons), $5 ; music on pianoforte, $2.50.

ST. ALBANS SCHOOL, Radford, Geo. W. Miles, Founder
and Head Master. This school is situated on the banks of New
River in the blue grass region of Virginia. The buildings are of
colonial architecture, modern and well equipped with hot water
heating, electric lights, hot and cold water on every floor. The
plan of the school is unique. There are four masters, and the
school is limited to fifty young men. It combines a delightful
home life and at the same time gives a course of study extensive
enough to put a boy in the junior class of Yale, Harvard, or
Princeton. Of this school Gen. Fitzhugh Lee says : " I have
always thought St. Albans School a most excellent institution for
preparing boys for college or for the national academies. It is
located in the most beautiful section of Virginia, and has a high
grade of scholarship." The buildings for these fifty boys cost
$30,000. The total expenses, including board, furnished room,
servants' attendance, heating, lights, tuition in all branches, gym-
nasium, reading room, are $350 for the school year. There are
no extras. One-half of this is payable upon entrance and the
other in the middle of the year. This school has commanded
the patronage of many of the leading citizens of the South.
Among them are ex-Speaker Crisp, of Georgia, Hon. Henry S.
Turner, of Georgia, Gov. Thomas G. Jones, of Alabama, Judge
R. T. Beauregard, of Louisiana, Judge Sterling F. Cockrill, of
Arkansas, Dr. E. E. Hoss, of Tennessee, Gen. Joseph C. Breckin-
ridge, of Washington, Senator John W. Daniel, of Virginia, Gov.
J. Hoge Tyler, of Virginia, and many others of equal ability,
reference to whom is given. The climate of Virginia where this
school is located would be especially desirable and delightful for
Northern boys. The altitude makes it cold, dry, and bracing,
while at the same time its location in the South frees it from the
severe rigors of a more Northern clime. It is especially suitable



Online LibraryGrace Powers (Thomas) KnudsonWhere to educate, 1898-1899: a guide to the best private schools → online text (page 39 of 42)