Great Britain Great Britain. London livery companies commission.

City of London Livery Companies' Commission: Report and Appendix, Volume 4 online

. (page 129 of 169)
Online LibraryGreat Britain Great Britain. London livery companies commissionCity of London Livery Companies' Commission: Report and Appendix, Volume 4 → online text (page 129 of 169)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


300 acres by the quantities taken by the railways.

The condition and rental of the property of the Charity,
as it is now held and let, will appear in the following
table :—

Metropolitan Estate,

Land, 90a. 2r. 2p., on the south side of the
Kent Road, held under the lease to
C. J. Holcombe, mentioned in the Report
of the Commissioners of Inquiry (Vol. 10,
pp. 203, 204) - . . - 120 3

Fine of 36/. every 7 years, average - 5 2 10

Garden ground, 23a. Ir. 25p., next to Drake's
land, on the west of the Brighton Railway,
and Oa. 2r. 36p. land of the angle cut by
the intersection of the Bricklayers' Arms
Branch Railwav and the Grand Surrey
Canal, let to John Avann, yearly tenant - 95

The lease to the executors of John Vanham
(Rep., Vol. 10, p. 203), became vested in
— Isaac, who after an agreement of the

• Company, which became the subject of a
suit for specific performance, ultimately
compromised the question between him
and the governors of the Charity, by the
order of the Board of the 19th January
1858 - . . - 3 10

The same land is let in three portions, as
follows : —

llie house and garden.

The Warehousemen and Clerks' School, on
agreement, March 1863 - - 105

Coach-house, stables, and 14a. 3r. 5p. land,
let to James Wilson, yearly tenant (the
Charity paying the rates and taxes) - 70

A lodge, let to a weekly tenant at 3s. per

week - - - - 7 16

The Five Bells tavern and cottages, part of
which was formerly held by the representa-
tives of Henry Brougham, let to Messrs.
Calvert or to the City of London Brewery
on a building lease for 71 years from
Michaelmas 1838 - - - 70

The Railway Tavern (part of the premises
formerly comprised in the last-mentioned
demise), let to the same company on a
building lease for 71 years from Mid-
summer 1839 - - - - 36

House and basket-maker's shop, near the
turnpike on the Kent road, let to Stephen
Packer for 71 years from Midsummer 1839 8 8

The farm and land formerly let to the execu-
tors of Wilh'am Holcombe, on lease, ex-
piring in March 1859, has been let as
follows : —

House and 10a. Ir. 15p. land, in the Kent
Road, let to William Spavin on lease for
14 years from Michaelmas 1859 - - 120

House and 7a. 3r. 26p. land, let to Henry
Running on lease for 21 years from
Michaelmas 1859 - - - - 120

Cottage and garden, let to Thomas Fox
Penton, as yearly tenant - - 55

Farm, house and buildings, and 63a. 2r. 7p.
land, on the north side of the Kent Road,
let to James Wilson, yearly tenant - 250

Three cottages on the north side of the Kent
Road, let to weekly tenants (sav) - - 20

Land or garden ground at the back of the
cottages, 3a. 2r. Op., let to Edward Mote,
yearly tenant, determinable at a month's
notice - - - - -12 00



Carried forward - £1,097 19 10



* RooBR Jbston's Charity.

By a certificate of the Board of Charity Commissioners,
dated 8th December 1876, Company were authorised to



take legal proceedings aecainst Mr. D. F. Cooke, ibr the
purpose of restraining him from continuing erection of
buildings in Silk Street, London, a£Pecting prcjudiciaUy
property of the Charity.



Digitized by



Google



MR. HARBS REPORTS. — HABERDASHERS COMPAIST.



461



Brought forward -

Hatchain House (formerly let to J. Hard-
castle), and 16a. Or. C^. land, let on a
building lease, 1846, to Joseph Alfred
Hardcastle, under the order of the Court
of Chancery, for a term expiring at the
same time as the old lease of 1 763
Added for redeemed land tax -

House and outbuildings, land 10a. Ir. 25l).,

held on the lease for 150 years from 17o3,

by R. W. Edwards, mentioned in the

Report of the Commissioners of Inquiry -

Fine every seven years of 5/. IJs. -

Manufactory of animal charcoal and
17a. Or. 26p. land, on the north of the
Kent Road, let to George Torr for 21
years from Michaelmas 1859

Garden ground, 24a. Ir. 22p., on the north
side of the Kent Road, let to WiDiam
Brown on lease for 14 years from
Michaelmas 1856 - - -

Garden mround, 17a. Or. 35p., ditto, let to
James Hargood for 21 years from Michael-
mas 1859 - - - -

Garden ground, 5a. Ir. 21p., ditto, let to
William Atharton, yearly tenant -

Garden fnround, 6a. Or. 15p., ditto, let to
James Brown, yearly tenant

Four cottages in Chapel Place, let io Thomas
Martin, yearly tenant . - -

Houses fadng Kent Road on the North
side.
No6. 11, 12, and 13, Monmouth Place, let to
Thomas Howard for 70 years from Mid-
summer 1840
No.6,HatchamTerrace, let toW.R. Marshall

for 69 years from Midsiunmer 1841
No. 7, Hatcham Terrace, let to C. Burtwell

for same term
No. 6, Hatcham Tferrace, let to H. Taylor
for same term ...

No. 1, Hatcham Terrace, let to E. S. Jud-

kins for the same term
Nos. 2, 3, and 4, Hatcham Terrace, let to

J. Natluin for the same term
Nos. 1 and 5, Albert Terrace, let to J. Albert
for 69 years from Michaelmas 1841

(5L a year for some additional land
added to the original rent of 132. 4s. a
year, under order of the Board of
December 1861.)

Carried forward



£ 8. d.
1,097 19 10



100
3 2 6



17 11
16 6



240

127 19

102

34 6

40

10



3





7





7





7 12





7 12





22 16





18 4
i





- 1,846 18


10



Brought forward -
Nos. 2 and 3, Albert Terrace, let to F. C.

Hills for the same term ...
No. 4, Albert Terrace, let to J. Natlian for

the same term ...

Nos. 3 and 4, Victoria Cottages, let to

R. Howard for same term
No. 2, Victoria Cottoges, let to J. Matthews

for the same term ....
No. 1, Victoria Cottages, let to J. Pickering

for the same term - - . .

No. 1, Monmouth Place, let to J. Hamden

for the sameterm ....
No. 2, Monmouth Place, let to J. Brighton

for 62 years frpm Midsummer
Nos. 3, 4, and '5, Monmouth Place, let to

J. Crowhurst for same term
Nos. 14, 15, and 16, Monmouth Place, let to

J. Packer for same time ...
Five houses in 5 Bells Lane, opposite the

*• 5 Bells," let to J. Brighton for 62 years

from Midsummer 1848
No. 1, Orange Grove, let to J. Clack for 21

years from Christmas 1850
No. 2, Orange Grove, let to — King, as

yearly tenant ....

A piece of ground, la. 2r. Ip., let to William

Dennis, On building lease, for 81 years

from Michaelmas 1862 ; first year at pepper-
corn rent, second year at 33Z. 55., and third

and following years at -

As sanctioned by the Board.
Nos. 1 to 5, Amelia Terrace, let to Joshua

Wilson, on lease for 62J years, from

Christmas" 1847 ....
Land in the Kent Road, at the angle of the

estate, near the New Cross Station, abuttfng

on the spare carriage dep6t, let on building

lease for 80 years from Michaelmas 1853 -



£ 8. d,

1,846 18 10


13


4





6 J2





10








2








6








6








6








16








8








20








35








22









66 10



24



60



£2,148 4 10



The formation of several railways crossing the line of the
estate, as before observed, led to various sales of portions
of the estate to the different companies.

The following table exhibits the times at which these
various plots were alienated, the several companies by
which they were taken, the quantities of land, and the
amounts in stock and in casn paid or invested to the
account of the governors in respect of such land.



Sale8 to Railways.



1833
1836
1837
1838
1844



1846



1847



1855



1855



1856



1857



1858



November 15

April 15

November 10

July 9



March 24



July 21



March



July



February
August



London and Greenwich ...

London and Croydon - - - \

Do. -• - - -J

Do. . . -

South Eastern ....

1846— 3rd November (300/. 15«. sold, and
in 1850 the remainder).
London, Brighton, and South Coast for land and
six cottages, lately let to Martin. (Cormack's
rent reduced from 75/. to 67/. lbs., and
Brown's from 76/. to 49/. 11».)
Thames Junction Railway, now London,
Brighton, and South Coast Railway



The above sums have been reduced by various

sales and investments, as follows : —
Willesboro*, Kent, purchase . . -



Bedemption of land tax on the Metropolitan
Estate ....



Staffordshire, Palin's purchase, 5,788/.
Interest



Bedemption of land tax on the Staffordshire
Estate ....



Haywards - . ~ -

The amount still remaining in respect of the
foregoing alienations of the Charity



A. B. p.
2 2

11 2 21



1 8
3 1



7
8i



4 14
1 1 16



Cash
Stock I



Stock



£ f. (2.

75

3,605 3 1 3 per cent.

2,728 1 5 J consols

895 17 6 „

1,052 12 8 „



5,174 12 11
905 11



12,898 14 10 \
4,369 18 5 J



Consols



8,028 16 5
228 10 4



7,800 6 1
6,060 14 8



1,739 11 5
63 11 9



1,675 19 8
95 8



1,580 19
349 17 4



1,231 1 8



Digitized by



GoogI(



462



CITT OP LOJa)ON LIVERY COMPANIES COMMISSION:

Sales to Railways — continued.



1856



There has heea also a further sale, as
follows: —

London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway
Company - - -

(This sum has not yet been dealt with for
re-inyestment.)



5 3 15



£ s. d,
5,277 15 7



Brought forward
Stafpordshirb Estate.



£
2,148



d.
10



In the year 1856 the governors, with the
sanction of the Court of Chancery, ex-
pended 5,788/. cash, in the purchase of
an estate called PaUn's, at Knighton, in
the parish of Adbaston, in Staffordshire,
consisting of farm buildings and cottages,
and 107a. Ir. 20p. land. {See mv Report
on Adams' Charity, Table of Property,
No. 5.)

Palin's Farm is now let to Thomas Lycett,
on lease for 21 years (determinable at 14
years) from Michaehnas 1861, at - . 205

In 1858, a sum of 349/. YJs. 4d. consols was
sold out, and the produce, 335/. cash, and
16/. lOs. 9d., invested in the purchase from
Joseph Hayward of two freenold cottages,
and la. 3r. 29p. of meadow land.

Two cottages are let to Thomas Clark, on
lease for 21 years, from Michaelmas 1861 • 1 1

One cottage, let to Henry Clark on a like
lease • - - -400

The meadow land, la. 3r. 29p., is let to

Joseph Hayward, a yearly tenant - - 4 10

2,372 14 10

Kent Estate.

In 1855 the sum of 4,570/. cash was invested
by the order of the Court of Chancery in
the purchase of 99a. Ir. 36p. of meadow
land in the parishes of WiUesborough and
Sevington, in the county of Kent (ad-
joining the Kentish estate of the Aske's
Chari^).

The estate is now let to William Scott on
lease for 16i years, from Lady Day 1855 - 150

The school, the lecturer and the master's
houses, almshouses, and gardens, in the
town of Monmouth, in hand.



The real estate (gross rental)



-2,522 14 10



The stock, now belonging to the governors
(as before stated), is as follows : —

Standing in the name of the Accountant-
Geneitd of the Court of Chancery, ex parte
the London, Brighton, and South Coast
Railway, 5,277/. 15^. 7d., SI. per cent,
consols - -..- 158 6 4

Do. Exparte London and Croydon Railway
Company, 1,231/. Is. Sd., 3 per cent,
consols - - - - - 36 18 7

In the corporate name of the governors of
the Monmouth Chari^, 2,712/. 14*. 2d,,
3 per cent, consols - - - 81 7 7

(This constitutes the balance of accumu-
lations for the 10 last years.)



The outgoings on the estate are : —
Salaries,
Clerk, Mr. Curtis
Surveyor, Mr. Snooke

Mr. Snooke is the surveyor of the London
property, and in addition to his salary,
which comprises a general attention to the
estate, or as it is expressed in the order of
the governors "to survey and report
" generally to the governors upon the
" state of repair and condition of the



£2,799


7


4


£


s.


d.


- 100








. 50









£
Brought forward - 150
'* buildings, premises, and land belonging
" to the Chuity estate, and the drainage
" thereof, the observance by the tenants
" of the covenants in their leases, and of
" all encroachments, obstructions, or nui-
" sances, to give the requisite notices of
" repair, and otherwise, and to see the
" same be effectually complied with, to
'* attend all courts and committees, and
*' the master and wardens of the Company
" when reouired on the business of the
•' Charity.'* He is to be paid specially
for all new buildings and plans, as well
for special surveys and business not in-
cluded in the above.

The extra payments to the surveyor under
this head, for two and a half years from
July 1858 up to Christmas 1860 was
1721. 2s,, or average about

The governors insure a portion of the metro-
politan property, but this is to be con-
sidered a matter of arrangement with the
tenants in future.

Conmiission on the receipt of the rents of
the Kent Estate (Scott's rent)

Surveyor to the Staffordshue Estate (J. Cohb)
salfl^, lately raised to - . .

Labour in the woods - - •

Sewers and other rates on the Metropolitan
Estate m 1862 - - .

Deputation, consisting of the Estates' Com-
mittee (15 or 17) of the court and clerk and
surveyor, visiting the New Cross Estate
annually, and also a deputation of three
members of the court to Monmouth every
second year . ^ .



d.




- 70



7 10



10
1



. 30



21
£289 10



A scheme for the entire reconstruction of the Charity
was settled by the Court of Chancery on the 26th July
1854, and is recorded in this office.

The disbursements on account of the Charity, under the
new scheme now are : —



Lecturer,

The Rev. J. D. Watherston, the lecturer,
was appointed by the governors in 1859
(he was previously the head master of the
school) - - - - .

He is provided with a good dwelling
house.

The lecturer has the general superin-
tendence of the Charity at Monmouth.
He examines and reports to the governors
the state of the scliool twice a year, and
he has immediate superintendence of the
almspeople, visiting them weekly, and
keepmg a report book. He has to perform
a full service twice on Sundays, and on
Ash Wednesdav, Good Friday, and Ascen-
sion Day, and administer the Sacrament
four times a year, with spiritual attendance
on othar occasions. {See clause 6 of the
Statutes appended to this Report.)

The services are to be performed in the
churchy if it can be had tor that purpose,
and if not, it is to be performea in the
schoolrooms, where the almspeople attend.
The services are open to the public, and it
is proposed to build a chapel, to contain
not less than 250 persons.



£ s. d.



175



Carried forward - 150



Total Lecturer



iB175



Digitized by



Google



MR. HARB's REBOBTS. — HABBBDASHiiBS' COMPAKT.



463



School.

£ 8. d.

On the 13th July 1832 the salary of the
lecturer was raised from 140Z. to iSOZ., and *
10th May 1841 from 160L to 1151. These
advances were under orders of the Court
of Chancery of those dates.

The Rev. C. M. Roberts, the head master of
the school, was appointed in 1859. He is
provided with a good dwelling-house.

The salary of the master was raised by the
order of July 1832 from 120Z. to 170L, and
by the order of the 10th May 1841 to
230Z. - - - - 230

The masters are elected by the governors
on probation, and remain on trial for six
months, at the expiration of which period
the visitors are to report to the governors
their opinions upon the character and
abilities of the masters. {See Clause 36,
p. 9, of the Statutes, which I append).
The Statutes were settled by the Court of
Chancery in 1854, and Clause 37 precludes
the masters from taking boarders.

Ml. W. Pitt, the usher, or second master,
was appointed in 1853 third master, and
in 18d7 second master.

The salary of the usher was by the order
of the Court of Chancery of the 13th July
1832 raised from 602. to 80Z., and by order
of 10th May 1841 from 80Z. to 1301. - 130

He is also provided with a dwelling*
house.

Mr. W. Rogevear, is the third master; he
was appointed in 1858. This office was
constituted by the Court of Chancery by
its order of the 26th July 1854, at a salary
of 100/. The governors in consideration of
the third master having no house, have
increased the salary to 120^ - - 120

The writing master. — ^This oflSce was con-
stituted by the order of the Court of
Chancery of the 5th August 1828, at a
salary of 60Z., which was increased on the
loth May 1841 to 90/. . - - 90

The present writing master is Mr. Robert
Earle, who was appointed in July 1862.

He has no dwelling-house allowed him
by the Charity.

The examiner. — ^This office was constituted
by the cffder of the 13th Januaiy 1852, and
confirmed by the scheme of the 26th July
1854. Under the scheme of 26th July
1854 he is to be allowed 10/. for each half-
yearly examination, besides his travelling
and other expenses. His qualifications are
defined byClause 34 of the Rules appended
hereto. The last Report of the examiner
on the school is appended - - 41

Books and stationery, average of nine years - 49
Coals, clock, and sundries - - - 40

The exhibitions. — ^The sum applicable to this
purpose is uncertain, inasmuch as the class
of youth attending the school is not such
as can afford a maintenance at the Uni-
versity, with the small assistance which
the exhibition affords • - - 30

At present there is only one exhibitioner.
In 1858 there were two.

j£730



General expenses of the school and almshonses, and on
the dwellings of the lecturer and masters : —

£ 8. d.

Insurance (on 4,500/.) - - - 10 2 6

Water and gas - - - 19
•Repairs on an average of the last nine years

(79^0, say 80



The Alm8hou8€8.

£ s. d.
The nurse. — Her duties are to give constant

attendance to the poor men and women.

She has no residence - - - 31 4

The surgeon. — This includes medicine and

attendance upon the almspeople - - 20
The 20 almspeople. — ^They consist of 10 men

and 10 women, none of them being

married, each receives 8^. a week - - 416

Ten doaks, annually - - - 15

£4»2 4~0



j^l09 2 6



The aggregate charity disbursements may, therefore,
be thus stated : —

£ 8. d.

Lecturer - - - 175

School . - 730

Almshouses - - 482

General expenses • - 100



jfl,487



Tbe surplus of the income of the Charity will, therefore,
amount to upwards of 1,000/. a year.

It is expected that there uill l>e a disbursement of about
100/. in repairs on the farm buildings on Lyoetf s farm, in
the Stafforashire estate, in the present year.

The directions of the scheme of 26th July 1854 for the
application of the income of the Cluurity and the surplus
are as follows : —

The governors shall pay out of the income of the
Charity the necessary repairs and outgoings in respect of
the Charity estates and buildings, and the costs, charges,
and expenses properly incurred by themselves, and the
visitors, in and about the performance of their duties as
governors and visitors ; and also the following stipends ;
that is to say, —
To the lecturer, 175/. per annum.
„ head master, 230/. per annum.
„ second nuuster, 130/. „
„ third master, 100/. „
„ writing matter, 90/. „

„ examiner, 20/. per annum, and his travelling and
other expenses not exceeding 21/. per annum.
To the two exhibitioners, 30/. per annum.
To the clerk of the Haberdashers' Company for receiving
the rents and dividends and transacting the ordinary
business of the Charity, including attendance on all
committees, both ordinary and special, a seJary not
less than 90/. nor more than 135/. per annum, at the
discretion of the governors.
To the surveyor of the Company, for surveying the
Charity estates and buildings and reporting thweon,
includmg attendance on the courts and committees
when required by the governors, a salary of not less
than 50/. nor more than 75/., at the discretion of the
governors.
Provided, that it shall be lawful for the governors, if
they shall think fit and the funds shall be sufficient for
that purpose, to increase the salaries of the lecturer and
masters, including the writing master, or any of them, by
any amount not exceeding 25L per cent, on the stipend
herein-after directed to be paid to them respectively, and
to increase the number of exhibitioners to any numl>eT not
exceeding four, and the stipend of each exhibitioner to
any sum not exceeding 50/. per annum.

After making the payments mentioned in the last clause,
and paying the allowances to the almspeople, and paying
to a nurse for the almspeople 10s. a week, and to an
apothecary for the almspeople 15/. a ^ear, and providing
cloaks for the almspeople, and applying such sum not
exceeding 30/. in any one year as the governors shall
think fit in purchasin|r books for the school Ubrary, and
such sum not exceeding 20/. per annum as thev shall
think fit, for nrizes, not exceeding 5/. for each prize, the
reminder of the income shall be invested by the governors
. in Government stock by way of addition to the property
of the Charity, and the dividends of the stock so purchased
shall be considered and dealt with as income of the
Charity property.
The present visitors are : —
Archdeacon Crawley, Bryngwin.
Rev. J. L. Dighton, The (Surth, near Monmouth.
Rev. E. F. Amey, Monmouth.
Rev. J. Burden, English Bicknor, Gloucestershire.
Rev. Edwd. Machen, Staunton, near Coleford.
J. E. W. Rolls, Esq., The Hendre.
J. F. Brickdale, Esq., Newland.
S. R. Bosanquet, Esq., Dingeston Court.
. H. M. Clifford, Esa., M.P.. LlantiUio.
Owen Jones, Esq., Newnham.
Captain James Davis Garth.
George Griffin Tyler, Esq.

3M 4



Digitized by



Google



464



CITY OF LONDON LIVEBY COMPANIES COMMIaSIOX :



It has been suggestea on behalf of the town council,
that the mayor, ex officio, should be a visitor; but on this
point, 1 am infonned that the inhabitants are not
unanimous. The Eev. E. F. Araey is the vicar of Mon-
mouth, but is not ex officio visitor. The admission of
both, the vicar and the mayor, as visitors, ex officio, would
be a proper regulation.

Under ihe scheme of 1854, the school is limited to 100
boys, who are to be of the borough of Monmouth, and
the counties of Monmouth, Hereford, and Gloucester
(clause 12). The 100 boys are to be educated entirely free
of expense.

The school is divided into the classical and the com-
mercial divisions, the respective courses of instruction in
which are settled by the clauses 27, 28, and 29 of the
rules, appended to this Report. I am informed that the
number of boys in the classical school is 19, of the average
age of 13 years; and the number in the commercial school
81, of the average age of 11. The boys, however, are kept
altogether in one schoolroom. The schoolroom, as far as
I can ascertain by a scale on the map, is about 62 feet by
38 feet.

There are constantly more applicants for admission to
the school, than there are vacancies. At the last election
there were 22 candidates, and only six vacancies. There
is no payment whatever made by the boys, who are
admitted by the visitors at their quarterly meetings, the
Company exercising no control over their nomination.
The last scheme in increasing the exhibitions to four,
extended them to the University of Durham and St. David's
College, Lampeter, as well as to the English Universities.
I append a letter of the head master in reply to my inquiry
on tne condition of the school, together with the last
report of Mr. Seelev, the examiner.

The governors nave intimated their intention, at the
instance of the visitors, to hire a field on the estate of the
Duke of Beaufort on the other side of the Wye, as an
exercise and cricket ground for the boys. It has also been
proposed to build a chapel on the land belonging to the
Charity for the use of the lecturer, capable of containing
not less than 250 persons.

A deputation of inhabitants of Monmouth who attended
my inquiry, stated that the people of the town were
anxious that these plans of improvement should be greatly
extended, that instead of the chapel being built in a
confined situation, restricting also thereby the space which
they required as desirable to form a site for the extension
of the school buildings, they wish the chapel to be a
building of much greater capacity, and to be erected on
the opposite side of St. Mary Street, where it would in
their opinion form a great public improvement in the
town, it is stated that what is now the site of an old
malthouse might be procured on easy terms, and would be
a good position for the new building.

The municipal council of Monmouth nominate three
candidates for any vacancy in the almshouses, returning
the number of votes for each candidate. The almspeople
consist of 10 men and 10 women, and a vacancy when it
occurs is reported to the Company by the lecturer. On
the receipt of the three names the court of the Company
elect one.



Online LibraryGreat Britain Great Britain. London livery companies commissionCity of London Livery Companies' Commission: Report and Appendix, Volume 4 → online text (page 129 of 169)