Great Britain Great Britain. London livery companies commission.

City of London Livery Companies' Commission: Report and Appendix, Volume 4 online

. (page 164 of 169)
Online LibraryGreat Britain Great Britain. London livery companies commissionCity of London Livery Companies' Commission: Report and Appendix, Volume 4 → online text (page 164 of 169)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


householders to find three able persons to be bound with
them as sureties for the repayment of the said 102. at
the end of the three or four years. And further reciting
that the said lOOL was received by the said Cloth-
workers' Company, and that the same was held by them
upon the trusts mentioned in the said indenture.

This charity is included in the Loan Fund, adminis-
tered according to the scheme settled in the master's
report of the 2lst July 1840, referred to under Heydon's
Charity. It forms part of the moneys comprised in the
schedule to that report.

Shales' or Skales' Charity.

Peter Shales or Skales, by his will of the 13th January
1584, bequeathed lOOZ. to the Clothworkers' 'Company,
in trust, to deliver out the same in manner following,
50Z. unto two young men of the said Company, being
merchants or retailors for three years, and the other
50Z. to be delivered out to five honest men of the said
Company for three years, to each of them lOZ. a piece,
such seven persons to give security for the repayment
thereof. The will was proved in the Prerogative Couiii
of Canterbury the 26th April 1585, and the money is
included in the Loan Funa, administered according to
the scheme in the report ^of the Master in Chancery of
the 2l8t July 1840, referred to under Heydon's
Charity.

Southall's Charity.

John Southall, by his will of the 4th October 1590,
gave 402, to the Clothworkers' Company, to be lent to
four poor men of the said Company, to have the use
thereof freely for three years, giving security for the
repayment of the same. The will was proved in the
Prerogative Court of Canterbury in May 1592, and the
money is included in the Loan Fund, as described under
Heydon's Charity.

Stapbr's Charity,

Richard Staper, in the year 1610, gave llOZ. to the
Company, to payyearly on the eve of St. Thomas, to five
poor men of the Cfompany 20^. a piece. This is a portion
of the fand forming the investment or apportionment
of the King Street and Cheapside estates (see Heath's
Almshouses). The Company attribute 62. of the rent
of that estate to this charity. For the general distribu-
tion of charities of this kind on St. Thomas' Eve. {See
Watson's Charity.)

Stoddard's Gift.

James Stoddard, by his will of the 4th October 1607,
gave 1002. to the Company to be lent out to young men
of the said Company, and to pay yearly from the
interest 20«. to the poor's box of St. Martin, Ironmonger
Lane, 30 sacks of charcoal to St. Martin's and 30 sacks
to St. Olave, Jewry.

The capital of 1002., which was lost long ago, has
since been replaced by the Company, and dealt with
under the order of the 31st July 1840, confirming the
report of the master of the 21st July 1840. (See Heydon's
Charity.)

£ 8. d.
The Company pay to the churchwar-
dens of St. Martm, Ironmonger Lane,
in respect of the gift to^the poor's box
and for charcoal - - - 2 10

To St. Olave, Old Jewry, for 80 sacks of
charcoal - - - - 1 10

j g4
4G 4



Digitized by



Google



608



fclTY OP LONDON LIVERY COMPANIES COMMISSION :



These ^ifts, though ineufficient for the purchase of
the quantity of charcoal above mentioned, are no doubt
the extent of the Company's liability, as more could
not be afforded from the interest of the money be-
queathed. The gifb had not been paid or demanded
for five years until the 23rd of January last.

Stone's Chamty.

Sir William Stone, Knight, of his good will gave hOl.
to the Olothworkers* Company before his death, to be
lent out to two young men free of the said Company
by two eqnal proportions for three years. This money
is also included m the loan fund as described in Hey-
don'B Charity.

Thwaytes' Chakity.

William Thwaytes, late of Fenchurch Street, grocer,
by his will of the 24th March 1831, bequeathed to the
master and wardens of the Clothworkers* Company
20,000/. to be distributed to poor blind persons in the
way they might think most proper, but none to have
more than 101. annually. The will was proved in the
Prerogative Court of Canterbury the 6th January 1836
by Ann Thwaytes, William Henry Hawkins, Eichard
Oliverson and Thomas Warren.

The sum of 20,000Z., deducting legacy duty, was laid
out almost ipamediately after the death of the testator
in 19,59H. 168. 9d. 3i. per Cent. Consols which stands
to the account of the Company. The first payment of
the dividends to poor blind persons was on the 15th
July 1835. The dividends amounting to 587Z. ISs, are
distributed to 58 pensioners at 10/. a year and one of
the balance of the fund. The Company charge nothing
for the administration. There is no limitation of the
class of the blind who participate in this gift, except
that laid down by the rule of the Company requiring
each person to be 50 years of age and three years
afflicted with blindness. The Company pays the divi-
dends before they become due, but the pensions falling
in and not demanded, generally almost equalize the
accotmt.*

Sm Thomas Tbevoe's Chakity.

Sir Thomas Trevor, by deed of the 29th March 1622,
gave 100/. to the Company, to pay yearly by quarterly
payments to six poor women 20«. a piece. The 100/. is
treated as a part of the investment of the King Street
and' Cheapside estate {see Heath's Almshouses), 6/. a
year is carried to the account of the poor of the Com-
pany, for pensions, annuities, and casual relief. {8ee
Rogers* Charity.)

Teussell's Charity.

James Trussell, by his will of the 10th October 1636,
gave 400/. to be laid out in the purchase of a house of
the yearly value of 20/., which he gave to the Cloth-
workers' Company to the end that they should pay
yearly, —

£ 8. d.
To the treasurer of Christ's Hospital - 5
To the poor of the parish of St. Faith - 3
2^. 6d. a piece to the clerk and sexton

thereof - - - - - 5

28. 6d. a piece to the clerk and beadle of

the Company - - - - 5

To the parson of the parish for a sermon 10
The like payments to the parish of St.
Bride - - - - - 4

and the residue to the poor members of the Company,
allowing out of it 10s. to the officers of the Company.



The house in Lo veil's Court, Paternoster Bow, is
held on lease of 1,000 vears mentioned in the report
of the Commissioners of Inquiry (page 230) at a rent
of 20/. subject to 3/. a year deducted for land tax, thug
leaving 17/. really for the Company.

The payments to the parishes of St. Faith, St. Bride's,
and Christ's Hospital are made as directed, and the
balance remaining applied to the benefit of the poor of
the Company, forming part of the gifts, under Rogers',
Bay worth's, and other benefactions, f

Watson's Gift.

John Watson, by his will of the 16th December 1655,
charged three houses in Basing Lane, with the annnai
payment of 20«. to the parish of St. Mary, Aldermary,
and the residue to the poorest freemen of the Company
the week before Christmas. It appears by the wiU
that only three houses were devisea to the Company,
but that perhaps from the site having been covered
with smaller houses, or some other unexplained cause,
the Company have credited the trust witii the rents
of seven houses, viz., Nos. 1, 2, and 3, St. Thomas
Apostle, 34, Bow Lane, and 9, 10, and 20, Basing Lane;
the first six houses have been taken by the Corporation
of London, for City improvements, and the purchase
money 3,897/. invested in 3,971/. 9«. Sd. Beduced
Annuities in March 1852.

The sum stands in the name of the Accountant-
General of the Court of Chancery and the dividends
are received of 119/. 2*. lOd. The rent of 20, Basing
Lane, or (25, Cannon Street, West) 50/.

The sum of 1/. is paid to the churchwardens of the
parish of St. Mary, Aldermary.

The residue is distributed on St. Thomas' eve to the
poor of the Company, with Hussey's, Staper's and
West's Charities.

The sum is distributed in money not exceeding 20«.
to any one person. The poor freemen, or widows of
freemen, attend at the Hall of the Company and
receive —

£ s, d,
136 10
Four artizan clothworkers (per-
sons acting in that trade) at
31.168. - - - 15 4

Almsmen and women - - 12



Total



£163 14



A sum of 5/. also was. paid to ibe officers under the
will.

Webb's Gift.

John Webb by an indenture of the 23rd December
1697 purchased for 1,600/. three full eighth parte of
a 36th part or share of the king's moiety of the New
Eiver waterworks which was conveyed to the Cloth-
workers' Company upon trust after the death of ike
said John Webb, to supply clothing to 44 poor men
and women, 40 to be free of the Company and 4 of
the parish of St. Mary at Hill, to pay to the minister
of the said parish 20*. yearly, to the clerk 2«. &/.,
to the sexton Is. 6d., to the churchwardens 20^. yearly
for the poor of the parish, 58. a piece to the master
and wardens if present at the sermon, to each of die
liverymen 6d. a piece, to the clerk of the Company
Ss. 4d., to the beadle 2^. 6d., to the beadle of the
yeomanry and porter Is. 6d. a piece, and the residae
for cakes and wine for the master, wardens, and livery
present at the distribution.



It lOth



Auj



28th July
1882.



8th May
1874.



♦William Thwatttes' Chabity.

Under an order of the Board of this date, the above
mentioned sum of 19,591/. 16^. 9d. Consols was trans-
ferred into the name of the Official Trustees of Charitable
Funds.

By an order of the Board of this date, the trustees
were authorised to effect the purchase of freehold
ground rents at West Hackney, producing 402/. per
annum, at the price of 10,500/. sterling to be pro-
vided by the sale of the sum of 10,591/. 16s. 9d. Consols
part of the said sum of 19,591/. 16«. 9d. Consols.

t James Teussell's Charity,

By an order of the Board of this date, the trustees
were authorised to sell, for not less than the sum of
^0/. Consolidated 3/. per Cent. Annuities, the rever-



sionary interest of the charity, of and in certain
messuages and premises situate in Lovell's Coort,
Paternoster Row, in the parish of St. Faith in the city
of London, then known as Nos. 1, 2, 3, and 4,
Lovell's Court, subject to a lease of the same for 1,000
years from the 24th day of August 1642, at the rent of
20/. per annum.

Under an order of the Board of the same date, the
said sum of 680/. Consols was, on 3rd November 1874,
transferred into the name of the Official Trustees of
Charitable Funds.

Under an order of the Board of this date, the sum sthJo"
of 108/. 6s. Sd. Consols, part of the said sum of 680/. '^*
Consols was transferred to the St Bride's Parochial
Charities Fund, and the dividends thereon are paid
direct to the trustees by the Official Trustees of
Charitable Funds.



Digitized by



Google



ME. HABb's BEPOBtS.— OlOTHWOBKEBS' tX)ltPANlf.



60d



4..h June
1876.



'Phe skare of the New River Oompanj comprised
in this assignment produces at this time 3812. a year.

£ 8. d.
The half-yearly dividend is now - 156 2 6
Tiand tax - - - .975



166 10



£
1


8. d.



2


3 6




1

11


8 10
6
-0 6



The land tax was redeemed hy the Company on the
6th November 1806. 3992. 12«. was laid ont at the
price of 68Z. ner cent, for Consols to redeem the land
tax on the snare. It has not varied since the year
1862. The first dividend in 1699 was 362. Ss. Hid.,
the second, in 1700, 732. 6«. 6^. The whole amount,
after deducting the charges, as follows —

Poor at St. Mary at Hill

Sermon, organist, clerk, sexton, and

beadle ....
The Company's clerk, beadle, and

porter - - - -

Charity children, 60 at 6(1. -
21 members attending church
Bread 6»., beer 48. cheese 7«. dd,,

porterage of books 2«. 6d., to

governors 2«. 6d., street keeper

28. 6d., beadle's breakfast la. 9d, - 16

17 3 10

— ^is carried to the general clothing fund for the admi-
nistration, of which see Hobby's Charity. The livery
who attend on that day receive a paper of cakes value
28., and the wine is taken fh>m the Company's stores
and not charged. The sum of 162. or 17^. is paid for
cakes and wine distributed to the gentlemen who
attend on that day. The payments for the sermon and
to the parish officers, organist, clerk, sexton, and
beadle are made. The assistants of the Company
attending the sermon receive lOs, 6d. each.*

Webstbe's Gift.

Sir Godfrey "Webster by will in 1720, gave to the
Clothworkers Company 7002. in trust that they should
yearly for ever on the 4th November pay to 20 poor
working clothworkers or their widows one guinea
a piece. The Company nominate 20 poor persons in
October, and the 12. Is. a piec« is paid to them in
respect of this endowment. At the last distribution
about 10 of the recipients were also pensioners of the
Company. The members of the court of assistants
alternately nominate the recipients, beginning gener-
ally in one year at the point in the list where they left
off in the preceding year.

Chakitibs op John and Frances West fob Abtizan
Clothworkehs.

John West and Frances his wife, by an indenture of
the 9th January 1713, gave certain messuages in the
parish of St. Helen's, London, on lease for 1,000 years
at 302. per annum to the Clothworkers' Company^ to
distribute the rents on St. Thomas' Day every year
among 16 of the poorest and most ancient artizan
clothworkers, and 16 poor widows of such clothworkers.



And John West and Frances his wife, by an inden-
*^^7*^ .*^® ^^^ I'ebruary 1717, gave a fee farm rent
of 92. israingout of the manor of Sutton, Somerset-
shire, and also another fee farm rent of 172. 7«. Id
issuing out of the manor of Miohaelcreech, Somerset-
shire, to the Clothworkers' Company upon trust on
St. Thomas' Day to distribute the same among 13 of
the poorest and most ancient artizan clothworkers, and
13 poor widows of such clothworkers.

,0 ^j**®^*^^""^® °^ ^^- ®^ ^® premises Nos. 16, 17,
18, and 19, in Great St. Helen's, is received as to one
moiety from Bartholomew's Hospital, and as to the
other from a Mrs. Fincham.

The fee farm rents on the Somersetshire estate are
as follows : —



^ £ 8. d.

Therentobarge is paid by
Mr. Beeves of Gray^s
Inn - . - 17 7 1

£ 8. d.
Deducting land

tax - - 3 9 5

Poundage - 17 6

4 6 10



d.



Eentcharge of 302. on the houses in
(Jreat St. Helen's -

Rent charge of 92. out of the Sutton
estate received from Mr. Tuson,
solicitor, Hchester, Somerset, de-
ducting 12. 16«. property tax



13
30



7 4
60 4 3



The distribution of this ftmd is made on St. Thomas'
Eve, with the fund mentioned under Watson's Gift.
The poundage of 62. per cent, is charged.t

West's Chakitibs for the Blind of Newbury and
Reading.

No. 1.

John West and Frances his wife, by indentures of the
23rd and 24th May 1718, granted certain premises and
rents to the Clothworkers^ Company in trust, to apply
the rents unto so many honest poor blind persons as
the same after the rate of 62. a year would extend, half
to be men and half women, the kindred of the grantors
to be preferred, and after such kinged the poor blind
persons of Newbury and Reading.

The property under this endowment consists of the
following: —

£ 8. d.
1. Piece of ground in Walbrook, city of
London, a part of the site of the mansion,
demised to the corporation for 21 years,
renewable for ever without fine at the
rent of - - - . - 14

(The lease, the first of which was
CTanted in 1748, describes the extent of
the ground as 23 feet from north to
south, and 12 feet 6 inches from east to
west at the widest part. It is, I think,
obvious that the covenants for renewal
could not be enforced. The last



♦John Webb's Got?.

The above-mentioned share of the New River Com-
^ny, together with 13 new shares purchased by the
Company an the trustees of the charity by the appli-
cation of bonus and surplus income belonging to the
charity, now produces 1,0742. 4^. Ic2. per annum.

Chabitibs of John and Fbances West tob Abtizan
Clothwobkxbs.

By two orders of the Board of this date, the trustees
were authorised to sell all the estate and interest
of the charity of and in the above-mentioned mes-
suages, Nos. 16 and 17, and 18 and 19, Great St.
Helen's, for not less thaji the sums of 6002. and 6002.
Consols, which were accordingly transferred into the
name of the Official Trustees of Charitable Funds
on the 23rd November and the 21st December 1876
respectively.
2tod Murali By an order of the Board of this date, the trustees
^^^ were authorised to apply the sum to be realised

A 14546.



by the sale of the said sums of 6002. and 6002. Consols
towards the purchase of the hereditaments next men-
tioned, namely : —



Description of Property.


Term of exist-
ing Leases.


Total Ground

Bents.
(Apportioned.)


Purahase
Money.


The sites and apimrte-

nances of messuaMs at

West Hackney be&g:-

l,Alvington Crescent

6. - « -

Ground at rear of the
same messuages and
right of WSJ.

Nos. U 13. 14, 15, and
16 Cranbrook Ter-
race.


99 years fhun

Do. - -

96 years from
Lady day 1870.

99 years from
Christmas 1878.


£ s, d.

6
6
6
1

80


£ 9. d




48 1


un •



4H



Digitized by



Google



610



CITT OF LONDON LIVERY COMPANIES COMMISSION:



13th Aug.
1867.



2eth AprU
1870.



was dated the 27th August 1881, the £, «. d,
subsequent one not being yet taken np.)
Two houses, Nob. 3 and 4, at the north-
east comer of Red Lion Passage, Fleet
Street, let to Mr. Judge on lease for
three years, expiring Lady Day 1860 - 30

3. Th^ Mammefr^rm^k Estate.

A messuage, wharf, and premises, Her-
mitage IU)w and the River Thames, on
lease to Sawyer for 21 years, from
Christmas 1862, at - - - 36

Several small houses in Dove Place, New
Street, and Hog Lane, on lease to H. W.
Keys for 21 years, from Lady Day 1866,
at 66

Four plots of building around on the
south side of Hermitage Kow, agreed to
be let to H. W. Keys for 60 years, from
Lady Day 1866, with covenants to build 20

(Some buildings have been erected,
but the lease has not yet been granted.
It is proposed to apply to the Commis-
sioners for their authority before grant-
ing the lease.)



6.



4. The Twickenham Estate.

The Queen's Head public-house (opposite
Twickenham Ait) having the church
passage on the north side and land ap-

firoaching the Thames on the other side,
t is let to Bowyer for 21 years, from

Ladv Day 1846 - - - -

(This lease is assigned to Mr. Cooper,

a brewer at Richmond.)
A small piece of ground in front on the

Thames side, for which the tenant of

Queen's Head pays yearly
Mr. Mayo, the lessee of the Ait, pays for

the right to land on the ground -
A small cottage adjoining the Queen's

Head, and land in jfront where formerly

stood a barn ^ - . .

A piece of. common ground allotted to

the Company in respect of the Queen's

Head, let to Mr. Collins at -



Reading ifc is given to persons elsewhere, so as to com-
plete the distribution of the even sums of bl When
there are vacancies notice is sent to the churchwardeng
or to the town clerk of Reading, and to Mr. Turner, a
private gentleman at Newbury.

The expenses attending the management are charged
at 6Z. per cent, on the jctoss income, and in the year
1868 were IIZ. Ss. 6d. Of the 42 pensioners at present
on the books of this charity there are of—

Newbury— -11 pensioners j six men and five women.

Reading— Three pensioners; two men and one
woman.

London and other places— 28 pensioners ; 12 men and
16 women.*

West's Charity fob Twickenham, Isleworth, and

Richmond.

No. 2.

John West and Frances his wife, by indentures of the
23rd and 24th December 1718, granted certain other
premises to the Clothworkera' Company in trust to
apply the rent.s for poor blind men wid women of
Twickenham and Isleworth in Middlesex, and Richmond
in Surrey, the kindred of the grantors to be preferred.

The property of the trust is described by the Com-
missioners of Inquiry, volume 32, part 2, page 393.

Nos. on
former
Report.



No. 1. No. 24, Old Street, let to Wm. Rey-
nolds for 21 years, from Christmas
1860 - . . .

48 »» "*• ^^- ?^' ^^^ Street, let to Wm. Bur-
gin for 61 years, from Michaelmas
1822 (this is the property described
as the piece of ground on the north
side of Old Street in Hie former
report) - - - -

No. 149, Whitecross Street, let to
John Hammond for 18i years,
from Michaelmas 1863 (to expire at
the same time as the next)

No. 160. Whitecross Street, let to
John Hammond for 21 years, &om
Christmas 1860



10
6



In hand.



„ 2.



,, 3.



£ 8. d.



50



40



50



106



10



Benicharges and Stock,

6. Two rentcharges received from £ s, d,
the Drapers* Company on pro-
perty in ComhiU - - 4 7 4
And on property in Lombard
Street - - - 12 4



246



6. A sum of SSI, 6s. Sd. Consols, arising from
the investment of a balance in July 1867
of 761. 11». dd. cash, a course adopted by
the Company instead of exercising the
power of distributing the amount on other
charities - - . . .



4 19 8



The distribution of this charily, which in 1863 ex-
tended to 34 persons now extends to 48 persons, who
receive 6L a year each.

The pensioners chosen from each of the three places

are—

From Twickenham - - 1 man and 2 women.

„ Isleworth - - 1 „ 2 „

„ Richmond - - 2 men and 2 „

The others from London and

other parts of the kingdom - 20 „ 18 „



2 10
211 4 8



The distribution which up to 1863 had not extended
to more than 24 persons, now embraces 42 blind persons
of Newbury and heading, or inXiondon and other places.
There is at present one blind person claiming to be of
kindred. If there be no application from Newbury or



24 men 24 women.



The universal rule is that, except as to the kindred,
and except as to the specified place, they must be 50
years of age and three years blind, but for the kindred
and the specified places there is no limitation except
being of the age of 21 years. The notices of vacancies
are sent to the chnrchwardens, and ^e payments are
made through them or some of the parish ofiScers. K
the person appointed under the age of 60 removes from



♦ John and Fhances West's Chamtibs for the Blind
OP Nbwbubt and Reading.

By an order of the Board of this date, the trus-
tees were authorised to grant a lease of several pieces
of land, with the four houses then newly erected
thereon numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4, Hermitage Row,
Hammersmith, also two cottages and a dwelling-house
in the rear, with a right of way thereto through the
passage irunning from Hermitage Row, for 60 years,
from Lady Day 1866, at the yearly rent of 20Z. 13». 6d.

By an order of the Board of this date, the trustees
were authorised to grant a lease of a piece of ground
containing 26 perches (being the above-mentioned piece
of common ground under No. 4, the Twickenham
estate) situate on the north side of the road leading
from Twickenham ta Hampton, in the county of Mid-
dlesex, together with two messuages, being Nos. 3



and 4, Burton Villas, Twickenham, for 80 years from
Michaelmas 1867, at the yearly rent of 41.

By an order of the Board of this date, the trustees «8fli April
were authorised to sell the above-mentioned piece ^^*'
of ground in Walbrook for not less than the sum
of 600L Consols, which was accordingly transferred
into the name of the Official Trustees of Charitable
Funds on the 20th October 1874.

By an order of the Board of this date, the trustees Ji^
were authorised to apply the sum to be realised by
the sale of the said sum of 600Z. Consols towards the
purchase at the price of 600L sterling of a piece of
land situate at West Hackney, in the county of Mid-
dlesex, with thfe factor}', offices, warehouses, and other
buildings belonging thereto, known as Tolkein's Piano
Factory, standing thereon, then demised for 98 years
from Lady Day 1868, at rents amounting in the whole
to22L



Digitized by



Google



MR. HA^E^S REPORTS.— OLOTHWOKKBRS'COMPAlhr.



6ir



the subscribed parisb, the name is taken off the books.
If the person were beyond the prescribed age they
would not be taken off. None are to have an income of
more than 202. a year.

The deduction of 5 per cent, for the expense of
management is made. This in 1858 was 121. lis. 9d.

West's Chabttt fob BLun) pebsons generally.
No. 3.

John West and Frances his wife, by an indenture of
the 28th December 1719, gave certain premises in the
Poultry, London, to the use of the Clothworkers' Com-
pany in trust, to ddstribute the rents among poor blind
men and women generdUy, in pensions of 5i. each with a
preference to the Irindred of the grantors.

The property, frontage 31 feet 5 inches on the Poultry



Online LibraryGreat Britain Great Britain. London livery companies commissionCity of London Livery Companies' Commission: Report and Appendix, Volume 4 → online text (page 164 of 169)