Harlo Hakes.

Landmarks of Steuben County, New York online

. (page 101 of 123)
Online LibraryHarlo HakesLandmarks of Steuben County, New York → online text (page 101 of 123)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


dren were George C, Jacob F., Caroline, and William H. The latter was educated
in the common schools, and in 1885 was graduated from the Rochester Business Uni-
versity. He clerked in the grocery store of C. C. Tinker for one year, and in 1890
bought the stock and store, and where now may be found a full line of groceries,
wall paper, crockery, etc. He is a member of the Wayland Lodge, No. 176, and of
the I. O. O. F. July 19, 1892, he married Cora Smith, who was born in Livonia, N.
Y., in 1870.

Edwards, Jerome, was born in Troupsburg, N. Y., August 24, 1851, and is the
second of three children born to Ira and Ellen (Guernsey) Edwards, he a native of
Pulteney, and she of Jasper. The grandparents, Daniel and Sallie (Sherwood) Ed-
wards, came from Connecticut and settled in Pulteney, being pioneers there. They
went to Woodhull, and finally to Cameron, where they died. The maternal grand-
father, Harry Guernsey, came to Woodhull at an early day. Ira Edwards was a
farmer of Troupsburg, and settled in the northeasternpart of the town. From there
he went to Chautauqua county, N. Y., where he engaged in butchering and dealing
in stock. He was killed at Rockford, 111., while after a load of cattle, in June, 1882,
aged sixty-one years. Mrs. Edwards resides in Chautauqua county. Jerome Ed-
wards was reared on the farm and educated at Woodhull Academy, and has been
engaged in farming most of his life. After the death of his father he was m a meat
market for one year, and February 24, 1875, he settled on the William Carpenter
farm where he is now engaged in farming. July 3, 1872, he married Susan, daugh-
ter of William Carpenter, by whom he had four children : Ada B. , William Clair,
Velma, and Bennie.

Stratton, George B, , was born in Oxford, Chenango county, N. Y. , March 4, 1844,
son of Frederick and Hannah (Dewy) Stratton, natives of Oxford and Norwich, N.
Y. , respectively. Mr. Stratton was one of the pioneers of Tuscarora, coming there
with a yoke of cattle, and engaged in farming. He died in 1886, and his wife in 18S2.
George B. Stratton was reared on a farm and has always followed farming. In
1874 he married Reusha A., daughter of L. Swan of Tuscarora, by whom he had
eight children: Charles B., (George L., Floyd F., Clarence, who died November 27,
1892, Ina, Girden, Ada, and Alfreda, who died in 1893, aged three months. In 1864
Mr. Stratton enlisted in Co. A, 188th N. Y. Vols., and was discharged in June, 1865.
He was at Hatcher's Run, second battle of Petersburg, and at Lee's surrender. He
IS a member of G. A. R., No. 372, at Addison.

Stanton, Jacob and Stephen T. вАФ Robert Stanton, the first of the family to settle in
Steuben county, came from Stanton Hill, Schoharie county, about 1830, when still a
boy, and located on Lent Hill. He was a son of Elijah Stanton, who was a physi-
cian, and who came to the county about 1840, and settled on what is now the Vandy
farm. He served through the war of 1813. In 1824 Robert Stanton took up his first
piece of land, containing seventy-five acres, paying $1.25 per acre. He was aman of
industrious and frugal habits, and with the advanceof years added to hispossessions,



FAMILY SKETCHES. 367

until he became one of the prominent and well-to-do farmers of that vicinity. He
was one of the founders of the Lent M. E. church, and was its first class leader,
taking an active part in the building of the church there. He married Susan Moore,
of Prattsburg, by whom he had eleven children : Abel, who married Charlotte Stur-
tevant, settling first on Lent Hill, and was for many years engaged in farming,
afterward settling in Michigan; Jacob, who settled in Cohocton, where he has always
lived, with the exception of from 1854 to 1860, which he spent in California, and has
been mainly engaged in farming, but for eleven years was engaged in the produce
business in Cohocton. He married Ann Morgan in California for his first wife, and
for liis second wife he married Mrs. Jane Burk; John, who married Hannah Worster,
and settled in Cohocton, where he has always followed farming; Elijah, who married
Samantha Morrison, and in 1863 enlisted in the 161st N. Y. Inft. , and died in the
service; Lucretia, who married Elijah Kelsey, and settled in Benton, Yates county,
N. Y. ; Emeline, deceased; Susan P., wife of Henry Smith; Stephen T., who mar-
ried Martha Sturtevant, settled in the town of Prattsburg, where he has been an
enterprising and prosperous farmer, and in 1888 settled in North Cohocton. In 1861
he enlisted in Co. E, 104th N. Y. Inft., and served until in December, 1864. He is a
member of R. E. Harris Post, G. A. R. , of Cohocton ; Johanna, who married Ira
Brownell, and settled in Prattsburg; Hannah S., wife of Abraham Wheaton, of
Prattsburg; and Robert J., deceased.

Allen, William W., was born in the town of Howard, October 19, 1835, son of John
Thomas Allen, a native of Steuben county, N. Y. , born in the town of Howard in
1811, and grandson of Wilham Allen, born in Amsterdam, Montgomery county, N.
Y., who settled in the town of Howard near Smith's Pond in the spring of 1810.
W. W. Allen is a great-grandson of William Allen of New England, who was active
as a soldier in establishing American independence. He married Catherine Hub-
bard, daughter of Thomas Hubbard, then postmaster of Boston, and of Judith Ray
a granddaughter of Simon Ray, one of the original purchasers of Block Island. Mr.
Allen and family moved from Boston to Hagaman Mills near Amsterdam, where he
died December 14, 1844, aged eighty-five years. John T. Allen was a farmer in
Howard and Avoca several years, whence he removed to Bath and engaged in mer-
cantile pursuits ; was county treasurer of Steuben county, and died in 1867. He mar-
ried Minerva, daughter of Reuben Ferris of Howard, who served in the war of 1812
and was honored with a captain's commission. Reuben Ferris's wife was Rachel
Purdy, daughter of Abner Purdy and Hannah Fisher. Mr. Purdy was born in
Dutchess county and served as a lieutenant in the Revolutionary war. His father
was Ebenezer Purdy, who was early in Greenwich, Conn., and actively engaged in
the colonial wars in the year 1755 and thereafter. William W. Allen was educated
in Haverling Academy, Bath. In 1853 he entered the banking houseof Alfred Purdy
Ferris in Bath and was connected therewith until the year 1857, when the Bank of
Bath was organized by Hon. Constant Cook, Mr. Allen holding the position of teller.
In 1863 the bank became a national Bank, with Mr. Allen the cashier, which position
he still holds. He is treasurer of St. Thomas church, of Haverling Academy, is also
a director and treasurer of the Urbana Wine Company, a director of the Hammonds-
port Wine Company and of the Lake Keuka Wine Company. Mr. Allen was prom-
inent in the organization of the Steuben Club of Bath, a noted social organization of



368 LANDMARKS OP STEUBEN COUNTY.

the county, and its first president, to which office he has several times been re-elected.
He has always been active in politics but has never held public office except that he
was commissioner of the U. S. Deposit Fund for the county of Steuben for fourteen
years, which position is now held by his son, Walter R. In 18(il he married Helen
Maria Ganesvoort, a daughter of the late John Roseboom Ganesvoort and Rebecca
Irwin. Mr. Ganesvoort was a descendant of John Wessells Von Ganesvoort, born in
Gronigen, Holland, in the year 1419. His descendants came early to America and
settled in New Amsterdam, now the city of New York, and later became residents
of Albany, where Conrad Ganesvoort, Mrs. Allen's grandfather was born. He was
a Revolutionary patriot and long a ruling elder in the old Dutch church of Albany.
His wife was Elizabeth Roseboom, who was also of Holland descent. Mrs. Allen's
mother was Rebecca Irwin, only daughter of Jared Irwin and Lucretia Patterson of
Dansville, Livingston county, N. Y., both of Scotch descent. The Pattersons are
descended from Andrew Patterson, a "Covenanter," who was banished from Scot-
land under the reign of King James the Second, came to America on the vessel
" Francis," which landed at Perth Amboy, New Jersey, in December, 1685. The
children of William W. Allen and Helen M. Ganesvoort are Ganesvoort Irwin,
Walter Roseboom and Minerva Elizabeth, wife of Edwin Stewart Underbill; they
are all residents of Bath.

Eckler, John, was born in the town of Starks, in 1826. Henry Eckler, his grand-
father, was of Mohawk Dutch ancestry, a farmer in Herkimer county, and was a Sol-
dier in the soldier in the Revolutionary war, and fought at the battle of Bunker
Hill. He reared four children, and died aged eighty years. Henry Eckler, father
of John, was born February 29, 1800, andspenthis whole life as a farmer in Herkimer
county.' He married Betsey, daughter of Mathias Shaul, by whom he had ten chil-
dren; Mathias, Isaac, Abram, Henry, Elizabeth, John, Mary, Betsey, Sarah, and
Levi. He died in 1874, and his wife in 1870. John Eckler remained with his father
until he was twenty-six years of age, and in 1851 he came to the town of Wheeler,
where he spent a year and where he was married, after which he returned to Herki-
mer county, where he spent the six years, buying a farm of his father in the mean-
time. In 1858 he returned to Wheeler and bought a farm of 140 acres, and in 1866
purchased the farm on which he now resides, having since added to it until he now
owns nearly 400 acres of improved land. In the fall of 1864 he enlisted in Co. H,
188th N. Y. Vols., served until the close of the war, and participated in the battles
of Hatcher's Run, Five Forks, and Appomattox. He is a member of the G. A. R.
at Avoca. In 1851 he married Nancy N., daughter of Isaac and Betsey (Cramer)
Short, who came to Wheeler from Herkimer county in 1831, by whom he had these
children ; Julia, who died at eighteen years of age ; Wilmot, wife of George Stryker
of Wheeler; and Amelia, wife of Charles Beal of Wheeler.

EUis, Jerome B., was born in the town of Dryden, Tompkins county, in 1835, son
of Jason Ellis, also a native of Dryden, and grandson of Colonel Ellis,, who was a
soldier in the Revolutionary war, and a pioneer of Tompkins county, where he en-
gaged successfully in farming, and at his death leaving a large amount of property.
Jason came to the town of Bath in 1837, and engaged in farming and lumbering,
owning a saw mill, and rafted his lumber down the Conhocton River to Harrisburg.
He married Nancy Ha!rt, of Tompkins county, and their children were George



FAMILY SKETCHES. 369

(deceased), Ella, Chester, Albert, William, Joseph, Sarah, and Jerome B. He died
when sixty years of age, and his wife, aged fifty-eight years. Jerome B. received a
fair education, and from 1856 until 1890 he taught school during the winter terms,
and devoted his time to farming during the summers. In 1880 he removed to the
town of Wheeler, where, with the exception of three years he spent in Watkins, N.
Y., in the carnage business, he has resided on his farm of 113 acres. In politics he
is a Democrat, and has held the office of supervisor for six years. In 1859 he mar-
ried Caroline, daughter of Robert La Cross, a blacksmith of that town, and their
children are Jay (deceased), Aaron J. (deceased), Cara, wife of Charles Myers, of
Wheeler, and Bertha.

Everett, John, was born in the town of Prattsburg, April 25, 1837. David Everett,
his father, was born in Vermont, in 1804, and in early life was a shoemaker, after
which he engaged in farming and settled in the town of Prattsburg about 1835, where
he died in 1854. He had by his first wife two children ; Barney and Delilah. He
married for his second wife, Mary, daughter of James Upthego, by whom he had
three children ; John, Sarah J., and James H. John Everett, when but twelve 5'ears
of age, was obliged to care for himself, and engaged at farm work for an uncle with
whom he lived five years. At eighteen years of age he bought fifty acres of land,
and has added to it from time to time. In 1866 he removed to the town of Wheeler,
where he purchased 111 acres of land, to which he later added sixty-two acres, and
which now comprises his Wheeler farm and which he conducts. In 1885 he pur-
chased a residence in the village of Avoca, where he has since resided, and in 1887
he purchased a small farm of thirty-five acres in Avoca. He has devoted many years
to the successful breeding of fine horses, and during the years 1871-72 he bought
cattle and conducted a meat market in Avoca. In 1864 he enlisted in Co. C, 188th
N. Y. Vols., and served until the close of the war. He was in the battle of the first
Hatcher's Run, and after that was on detail duty. In 1858 he married Emily, daugh-
ter of P. and Hannah Horr, early settlers of Prattsburg, by whom he had these chil-
dren: Mrs. Minnie Shults of Avoca and Charles W. (twins), Lottie, and Louie and
Ada (twins). Louie died when fifteen years of age.

Everett, Charles W., was born in Wheeler, Steuben county, N.Y., in October, 1860.
son of John Everett, a prosperous farmer in Wheeler, but a resident of Avoca, who
was born in Prattsburg in April, 1837, son of David Everett, a native of Vermont,
and born in 1804. Charles W. remained with his father until he was twenty-four
years of age, when he purchased his present farm of 150 acres, where he has made a
success in stock raising and vegetable growing for a number of years. He served
one term as collector, and is a member of the Masonic fraternit)', Avoca Lodge. In
1884 he married Nellie E., daughter of Wesley and Johan (Nellis) Calkins, by whom
he had one son, Johan, and his wife died in 1885. Mr. Calkins, her father, died and
her mother later became the wife of Martin Strait, by whom she .and her sister were
shot in Elmira, N. Y. Mr. Everett married for his second wife Catherine P., daugh-
ter of Isaac Shaut of Wheeler, by whom he had two children.

Derick, Dennis, was born in Rensselaer county in 1848. son of Henry Derick, a
native of Rensselaer county, born in 1809, the seventh of nine children, and came to
Wheeler, Steuben cQunty, in 1855, where he spent his remaining days. He married



370 LANDMARKS OF STEUBEN COUNTY.

Catherine Kendall, a native of Columbia county, by whom he had six children: De-
borah, David H., Margaret, George E., Dennis S., and E. K. Mr. Derick died in
1879, and his vriie in 1881. Dennis Derick remained with his father until he was
twenty-three years of age, when he started in business for himself at farming' and
shoemaking, he having adopted that trade when eighteen years of age and practicing
at home. He now owns a farm of ninety acres which takes in one-half of his father's
homestead, and has a shop in the village of Wheeler, where he attends to the wants
of his boot and shoe customers. He has been a student of law, political economy
and science, and is a well educated man. He has been elected to the office of justice
four terms, and is now serving in that capacity. In 1871 he married Mary (Simons)
AuUs, an adopted daughter of Ephraim Aulls of Wheeler, by whom he had these
children; Dennis S. , Henry, Frank E., William D., Deborah, who died at three
yeurs of age ; Catherine C. , and Lulu M.

Derick, E. K., is a, son of Henry Derick, who was born in Rensselaer county in
1809, and came to Wheeler in 1855, where he spent his remaining days. He married
Catherme Kendall of Columbia county, by whom he had six children: Deborah,
David H., Margaret, George E. , Dennis S., and E. K. He died m 1879, and his wife
in 1881. E. K. Derick was educated in the common schools, and at twenty years of
age began for himself, working his father's farm for a short time, after which he en-
gaged in selling agricultural implements on the road until 1882, when he leased the
hotel building in Wheeler, in which he put a stock of general merchandise, and five
years later erected a building on his present site, and opened business on a more
elaborate plan. In 1890 he added to his business the buying of country produce,
hay, potatoes, eggs, etc., and in 1894 doing a 850,000 business, he being the only
produce dealer in the town. During the construction of the Kanona & Prattsburg
Railroad he took the contract ,of building the depot and grading for the switch,
which he executed during the winter of 1889-90; and was then made station agent,
in which capacity he has served to the present time. He was town clerk for five suc-
cessive years, and held the office of postmaster of Wheeler during the first and sec-
ond terms of President Cleveland's administration. In 1882 he married Carrie,
daughter of Wood and Olive Benedict-
Davis, N. D., of Caton, was born in Franklin county, Massachusetts, in 1820, son
of Dexter and Emily (Holden) Davis, natives of Massachusetts. The paternal
grandfather, John D., was in the Revolutionary war. In 1842 Mr. Davis came to
Caton, locating on the pail factory place, now owned by Daniel Davis. At the age
of eighteen he embarked in the grocery trade in Corning, continuing five years, and
then purchased sixty-five acres where he now lives. In 1852 he married, and in 1853
moved to the place. He had added to his farm till it now contains 233 acres. His
first wife was Adelaide Westcott, who died in 1862, leavingfour sons: Horace, Henry,
Charles H., and Edgar M. He afterward married Julia E. Baker, his present wife.
They have one child, Emma, wife of John Rowe. Mr. Davis follows general farm-
ing and makes a specialty of breeding horses, bringing the first Percheron intro-
duced in this section in 1887. He also raises thoroughbred Jersey cattle.

Davison, C. A., was born in Caton in 1843, son of James Davison, jr., and Mary
(Thompson) Davison, natives of Schuyler and Chenango counties. The parents



FAMILY SKETCHES. 371

were married in Caton, and died in 1894 and 1888, aged seventy-six and seventy-
seven, father and mother respectively. In 1865 Mr. Davis married Therissa A.
Tobey, and they have resided on their present farm in Caton since 1867. He fol-
lows general farming, making a specialty of dairying. He was highway commis-
sioner in 1831.

Eddy, J. F , was born in Thurston, N. Y., December 14, 1845, son of Fenner and
Celia (Taft) Eddy, natives of the town of Burleigh, R. I., who came to Thurston
about 1836, where they died. The grandfather of our subject, Eli Eddy, lived and
died in Rhode Island, at 100 years of age. Fenuer Eddy, father of J. F., was a tan-
ner and currier by trade, and owned a tannery on the farm now owned by J. F. Eddy.
He was a member of the F. & A. M. J. F. Eddy was reared on a. farm he now
owns, and educated in the common schools, after which he engaged in farming and
lumbering, but at present works at the carpenter's trade. He owns eighty-six acres
of land, the old homestead. Mr. Eddy is a Republican in politics, and has been com-
missioner of the town for one year, and is now serving his second term as justice of
the peace. He is a, member of Lodge No. 168, F. & A. M., and Merchantsville
Grange, also a member of. Loga Post No. 469, G. A. R. July 3, 1869, he married
Emily Congden, of Addison, by whom he had nine children-, Vina L., Josie L., Belle
(deceased), Archie B. (deceased) Jessie C, Fenner, Thomas, Ralph (deceased), and
Ward B. In 1864 Mr. Eddy enlisted in Co. A, 189th N. Y. Vols., and served until
the close of the war.

Dickinson, Francis A., was born in Thurston, N. Y., November 5, 1834, son of
David and Judith (Story) Dickinson, he was born in New York, and she in Middle-
bury, Conn. The grandfather of our subject, Amos Dickinson, was one of the first
settlers of Thurston. He went to Michigan where he died. David Dickinson, father
of Francis A., was a farmer, and at one time owned 146 acres of land. He died in
1871, and his wife in 1890. Francis A. was reared on a farm and educated in the
common schools. He is a farmer and owns 118 acres of land. He married Minerva,
daughter of James Jack, one of the first settlers of Thurston, by whom he had four
children; Allen B., born April 3, 1868. and educated in the common schools. He is
a farmer and owns sixty acres of land ; Leon F. , born October 39, 1873, educated in
the common schools, and resides at home; Zaide M., born September 4, 1875, edu-
cated in Bath, and is the wife of Elmer Granger, and they have one child: Clayton
L. , and Elvie, born January 23, 1880, educated in the common schools, and resides
at home. Mr. Dickinson enlisted May 16, 1861, in Co. A, 3d N. Y. Vols., and served
two years, and re-enlisted in Co. C, 16th N Y. Heavy Artillery, and served until the
close of the war. He was at Antietam, South Moun tarn, Chantilly, Fredericksburg,
second Bull Run, and many skirmishes. He is a member of Loga Post, No. 465,
G. A. R.

Longwell, Randall, was born in the town of Vernon, Sussex county, N. J. , April 4,
1837, son of William Longwell, who was also a native of New Jersey, born January 1,
1796, and died November 30, 1843. In 1839 he came to Steuben county and settled
in the town of Bath on a farm, and his principal occupation was dealing in stock.
Mr. Longwell married Elizabeth Sprague, who was also a native of New Jersey, and
they were the parents of eleven children, six of whom are now living, and Randall



372 LANDMARKS OF STEUBEN OOtJNTY.

was the youngest of seven sons that reached adult age. Mrs. Longwell died October
1, 1876, aged seventy-eight years. Randall vsras educated in the common schools and
his first occupation was as a clerk in a wholesale and retail store in Paterson, N. J.,
where he remained two years, and then spent one year on a fS,rm in that State. In
1857 he returned to New York State and engaged in farming on shares and on leased
.farms until 1874. In 1873 he bought a farm of 115 acres in Urbana, and in 1874 traded
for the farm of 154 acres, upon which he has made many valuable improvements,
among them being the setting out of a thirty -five acre vineyard, the erection of a
fruit house, and a fine residence. In politics he is a Democrat and has held some of
the minor town offices, and in 1876 was the representative of his town on the Board
of Supervisors. He is identified with the Presbyterian church, of which he is a
trustee. In 1860 he was married to Eliza O. Brundage, daughter of George S. Brun-
dage, and they were the parents of two children: George B., who died in 1865, aged
four months; and Harry B., who is an insurance agent of Hammondsport. Randall
has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1865.

Neel, James, was born in the town of Holland, Erie county, N. Y. , May 11, 1837,
the second son of a family of thirteen children born to Robert Neel, a merchant of
the town of his birth, who is now a resident of Livonia, N. Y., and is in his eighty-
fourth year. Jarnes Neel was educated in the common schools, after which he en-
gaged as agent for the N. Y. C. R. R. Co., at Chili, where he remained for thirteen
years. In 1875 he located at Kanona, N. Y. , and established a general store, which
he conducted for seven years. In 1882 he entered the employ of the Urbana Wine
Company, which position he has since held. He has been postmaster of the village
of Urbana since its establishment in November, 1883, an<l has always been a Repub-
lican in politics, but never an office seeker. He has been a member of the Masonic
fraternity since he was twent)'-one years of age, and is now a member of Urbana
Lodge, No. 459. In 1858 he married Mary Day, of Scottsville, N. Y., by whom he
had one daughter, Minnie, wife of Charles Larrowe, of Cohocton, N. Y. Mrs. Day
died at the home of her daughter, October 16, 1895. She was born in Milton, Eng-
land, in 1836, and was one of a lage family of children, but one of whom, a brother in
the West, survives. She lived a happy Christian life, devoted to her home, family,
and friends.

Sick, Philip, 3d, was born in Germany, October 35, 1845, and is a son of Philip and
Catherine (Fogle) Sick, who came to America in 1845, and settled in the town of
Wayland, where he became a prominent farmer, and was a leading member of the
Perkinsville Lutheran church. Their children were Fred, William, Philip, Cath-
erine, Louise, Electa, and Caroline. Fred settled on the homestead, and married
Mary Lander, William is a farmer and settled in Wayland, Catherine married
Godfrey Fleishman of Cohocton. Louise married Philip Sick, 2d, of Cohocton.
Electa married William Lander, of Wayland. Caroline married Fred Biehl, of Co-
hocton. Philip Sick, 3d, settled first in Wayland and afterward in Cohocton, and
is one of the substantial men of the town. He is a prominent member of St. Paul's
Lutheran church of Cohocton. Mr. Sick has been twice married, first to Louisa,
daughter of the late Philip Barts, of Cohocton, by whom he had four children:



Online LibraryHarlo HakesLandmarks of Steuben County, New York → online text (page 101 of 123)