Harlo Hakes.

Landmarks of Steuben County, New York online

. (page 37 of 123)
Online LibraryHarlo HakesLandmarks of Steuben County, New York → online text (page 37 of 123)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


A large new church edifice is now in process of erection.

The First Presbyterian church of Addison was organized in Septem-
ber, 1832, by a committee of the Bath Presbytery, comprising Revs.
A. Donaldson and E. D. Wills. There were seven original members,
and Porter Phelps and Elihu Wittenhall were elected ruling elders.
Meetings were held in the Curtis school house previous to the erection
of the first church edifice, in 1838. The first pastor, as the records dis-
close, was Rev. Daniel B. Butts, who served in that capacity from 1835
to 1839, and was followed by Revs. Lewis Hamilton, Darius A. Will-



374 LANDMARKS OP STEUBEN COUNTY

iams, A. H. Parmalee and others, in the order named. The new
church home of this society was built during 1881 and '82, and was
dedicated in April of the year last mentioned. The present members
number about one hundred and sixty-five. The pastor is Rev. David
Mackay.

The Church of the Redeemer, Protestant Episcopal, of Addison vil-
lage, dates back in its history to about the year 1847, when Rev.
Gardner M. Skinner came as missionary to the region. He was fol-
lowed by other zealous laborers, among them Robert N. Parke, and he
succeeded in organizing the parish in April, 1854. From this time the
history of the church has been a record of continued success and
growth, and the present healthful church is its outgrowth. A church
edifice was completed, paid for in full, and consecrated by Bishop
De Lancey on the Sth of April, i860. In this parish are about sixty-
five Episcopal families The present rector is Rev. W. H. Hawkin.

The Methodist Episcopal church in Addison dates its origin back to
the early history of the town, and when organization took place two
societies were formed, the one in 1835 and the other in 1841. In the
latter year a church home was provided, the earlier services being held
in the Presbyterian church edifice which the M. E. society aided in
erecting. By a disastrous fire the M. E. church was destroyed, and
was replaced with the comfortable structure now occupied by the soci-
ety. It was dedicated in 1876. The Methodist members in Addison
number 284, with twenty- five probationers in addition. The present
pastor is Rev. A. W. Decker.

St. Catharine's church, Roman Catholic, at Addison, was organized
in 1854, by Father Cunningham, the zealous priest at St. Mary's, at
Corning. The parish included all the Catholic families of the vicinity,
and from its earliest history this church has grown and enlarged. The
church edifice was built in 1854, but not until 1866 was Addison made
a separate charge. The elegant new edifice in Curtis Square was erected
in 1887. This church and parish are under the pastoral care of Rev.
Father M. Noonan.

The First Baptist church of Addison was organized May 6, 1869,
under the faithful efforts of Rev. C. W. Brooks. The first pastor, how-
ever, was Rev. S. D. Merrick, who settled in October, 1869. During



CHURCHES. 375

his pastorate the "chapel" was built (in 1871). The total membership
in this church is 146, and the church property is valued at about $3,500.
The present pastor is Rev. W. A. Billings.

The Evangelical Lutheran church of Avoca was originally organized
April 9, 1842, and after a period of about twenty-five years was sub-
stantially reorganized, adopting, on the latter occasion, a new constitu-
tion. The church was regularly incorporated July 26, 1868, since which
time it has been one of the permanent institutions of the Conhocton
valley. The comfortable church edifice was dedicated January, 1870.

The Baptist church of Avoca was organized January 13, 1847, with
thirty-three constituent mrmbers Rev. Horace Spencer was the first
pastor. The early meetings of the society were held in a school house
and other convenient buildings, and not until the year 1852 was a
church home erected. This church numbers eighty-eight members,
and is attached to the Steuben Association. The pastor is Rev. J. E.
Wilson.

The Methodist Episcopal church at Avoca is one of the largest socie-
ties of the town and vicinity, and in its history dates back almost to the
days of pioneership in the town, although a regular organization was
not effected until a comparatively recent date. The church now num-
bers 115 members and fifty-five probationers, including those of a joint
charge in an adjoining town. The pastor of both churches is Rev. W.
E. Searles.

The Presbyterian church of Cohocton dates back in its history to the
primitive and informal meetings held in the town as early as the year
1802, although it was not until October 8, 1809, that an organization
was effected, and then Congregational in form of government. On the
lOth of April. 1823, the church became Presbyterian, On April 6,
1 8 10, Elijah Parker was chosen deacon. Revs. Aaron C. Collins and
Abijah Warren were among the first preachers engaged, and in 1818,
Robert Hubbard was pastor, being followed in that capacity by Revs.
William Stone, Aaron C. Collins, Statham Clary and others. On Feb-
ruary 3, 1830, the first meeting house was erected, and the second was
built during the summer and fall of the year 1872. This church is to-
day one of the largest in the town. Its pastor is Rev. Mr. Swan.

The Methodist Episcopal church in the town of Cohocton in its his-



376 LANDMARKS OF STEUBEN COUNTY.

tory, from first to last, has comprised three distinct organizations and
the same number of houses of worship. The mother church, known as
the M. E. church of Cohocton, was organized in 1829 while the church
at North Cohocton dates its earliest meetings as far back as 18 16,
though not then fully organized. The class from which sprung the
Lent Hill M. E. church was formed in 1831, and the meeting house
was built in 1834. The society was known as the " First Union Soci-
ety of Cohocton and Prattsburg." The church house for the society
first mentioned was provided soon after 1 830, and the building was
substantially remodeled in 1872. This church seems to have experi-
enced many changes during the period of its history. It was reorgan-
ized in 184s, and was made a separate charge ("Liberty charge "), in
1873. According to the Conference report there are two Methodist
charges in the town, at Cohocton and North Cohocton, respectively.
Of the first the pastor is Rev. T. F. Parker, and of the latter. Rev. D.
C. Nye.

The First Universalist church of Cohocton was regularly organized in
September, 1859, although for a number of years previous to that time
those of this faith had held meetings in the town. A meeting house
was begun in i860 and completed and dedicated in 1863. The pastor
of this church is Rev. H. P. Morrell.

The Catholic church (St. Peters) of Cohocton, was erected in 1861.
Rev. Father M. Steger was the first missionary priest to read mass in
the town. The present priest in charge is Rev. Father M. Krischel.

St. Paul's church, German Lutheran, of Cohocton was organized in
1 861, by former members of the Lutheran church at Perkinsville. The
newly formed society at once erected a small house of worship, and also
chose as trustees Philip Zimmer, Henry Schuriegel, Henry Hengle and
Philip Bortz. The present pastor of this church is Rev. Mr. Pfieffer.

The Evangelical Lutheran Zion church of Cohocton was an offshoot
from St. Paul's church, formed in 1869 by members of the old society
who severed their relations from it. The meeting house was built dur-
ing the same year. The pastor is Rev. Mr. Rummell.

The Free Methodist church at Atlanta is under the pastoral care of
Rev. M. S. Babcock.

The Wesleyan Methodist church at North Cohocton is under the pas-
toral care of Rev. W. F. Dutcher.



CHURCHES. 377

The Presbyterian church of Painted Post was organized about 1835,
and the church edifice was built in 1840. This was the first religious
society in the village and has had a continuous existence to the present
time. The pastor is Rev. J. Robinson.

The Methodist Episcopal church at Painted Post was organized about
the year 1850 and at the same time a church home was built. This is
now a large church numbering 200 full members and probationers, with
a proportionally large Sunday school. The present pastor is Rev.
Arthur Osborne.

The Baptist church of Erwin, at Painted Post, was organized in 1854,
and in i860 a chruch was erected. The present membership is eighty-
eight. Pastor, Rev. C. G. Dilworth.

The Baptist church of Hornby dates its history back to the year 1820,
when Elder Beebe preached and labored in this missionary field, hold-
ing services on Nash Hill. However, it was not until several years
later that a formal organization was effected. The Baptist families in
the society number about thirty-five members, and the church property
is valued at $2,000. The present pastor of the local church and society
is Rev. O. N. Fletcher.

The Presbyterian church of Hornby was organized at the Knowlton
school house, September 14, 183 1, by a committee from the Presbytery
of Bath. The original members numbered twenty- one, who were re-
ceived into the church by Rev. B. B. Smith. The first pastor, however,
was Rev Mr. Barton. A substantial church edifice was built in 1852,
located at Hornby village.

The Wesleyan Methodist church at Dyke, in the town of Hornby,
was organized in 1843, and for several held meetings in the Knowlton
school house ; and still later in the Presbyterian meeting house. On
March 4, 1877, the society dedicated a new church edifice near the lit-
tle hamlet now called Dyke. ,

The Methodist Episcopal church of Hornby was organized as a class
in 1843, by Rev. James Hall. The church was divided, a por-
tion of its members withdrawing and forming the Wesleyan so-
ciety. A Methodist Episcopal reorganization was effected about
1863, under the leadership of Rev. A. H. Shurtliff and A. P. McCabe,
the latter being class leader. Meetings were held in the church edifices
48



378 LANDMARKS OF STEUBEN COUNTY.

of other denominations for several years. This society does not now
report to the annual conference.

The First Baptist church of Lindley was organized June 13, 1841,
under the missionary labors of that indefatigable worker, Rev. Thomas
Sheardown, but despite of the efforts in its behalf the society existed
less than a quarter of a century, and was dissolved about 1864,

The Free Methodist church of Lindley was organized in 1866, and a
church edifice was built at Lindleytown within the next two years. The
present pastor is Rev. Mr. Kelly.

The Independent church of Lindley was organized May 20, 1875,
with about fifty constituent members. In 1877 the society became
Baptist in religious doctrine. It does not now report to the association.

The Methodist Episcopal church in Lindley was organized at the
Center in 1850, but did not become a separate charge until 1866,
Still later another church of the same denomination was formed at
Lindley, and two charges existed in the town. The church at Presho,
and also that at Lindley, are under the pastorate of Rev. E. D. Compton.

The Methodist Episcopal church in Rathbone comprises two charges
and two organized societies, the one at Rathboneville, under the care
of Rev. J. W. Miller, and the other at Cameron Mills, an auxiliary
charge. The first class in this vicinity was formed about 1831, and in
1845 the "Town Line church" was erected. A class was formed in
Rathboneville about the same time, and in 1850 a church edifice was
built.

The Roman Catholic church at Cameron Mills is an outmission from
Addison and is attended by Father M. Noonan.

The Methodist Episcopal church in Tuscarora dates its history back
to about the year 1825, although not until 1833 was a class formed.
The first meeting house was built in 1849, but was subsequently aban-
doned. The chufch in the town now forms a part of four charges.
South Addison, Addison Hill, Orr Hill, and one other. The total
membership is 1 86, with forty-five probationers. The pastor is Rev. R.
S. Clark.

The Free- Will Baptist church of Tuscarora was organized in 1826, with
nineteen members, as a Free- Communion church, but changed to Free-
Will character in 1842. The church edifice in the valley was built in



CHURCHES. 379



1847, ^^^ was repaired in 1866, and again in 1886. The pastor is Rev.
Mr. Streeter. Baptigt .meetings are also held in the southeast part of
the town, and a society has been formed there.

(For history of the churches of Corning, see city chapter.)



BIOGRAPHICAL.



BIOGRAPHICAL.



WILLIAM FINDLAY ROGERS.

Gen. William Findlay Rogers, superintendent of the New York State Soldiers'
and Sailors' Home at Bath, was born in the town of Forks, near Easton, Pa., March
1, 1820, and is a son of Hon. Thomas J. Rogers, who came from Waterford, North of
Ireland, to this country with his father, Joseph, in 1786, settling in Philadelphia,
where the latter engaged in manufacturing. Thomas J. Rogers learned the printer's
trade and subsequently compiled a Biographical Dictionary for use in public schools.
He represented the old Tenth Pennsylvania Legion in Congress three terms and
served as brigadier-general of the State militia in the war of 1812, marching with his
command to a point near Baltimore to repulse a threatened attack of the British. He
was a life-long Democrat, and died in 1832, aged fifty-two. His wife was Mary Win-
ters, daughter of Christian Winters, of Easton, Pa.

Gen. William F. Rogers, the subject of this sketch, was educated in the public schools
and early learned the printer's trade at Easton, Pa., whence he removed to Phila-
delphia. In 1846 he went to Buffalo, N. Y., and entered the office of the Buffalo
Courier. There he became an active and prominent member of the local militia,
which he joined in 1846, and rose through all the regular gradations from private
to major-general, a position he held until the division system was abolished. At the
breaking out of the Rebellion in 1861 he volunteered with his company (Co. C, 74th
Regt.) in the Union cause for ninety days, but the secretary of war declined troops
for that period, and he immediately enhsted in the 21st N. Y. Vol. Inf., which was
composed of ten companies and organized at Elmira, and of which he was elected
colonel. Leaving Elmira on June 8, 1861, the regiment with Colonel Rogers at its
head proceeded to Washington and camped at Kalorama Heights, whence they
crossed Long Bridge and took station at Fort Runyan. There the gallant colonel
was placed in command and remained until after the battle of First Bull Run. The
organization then moved to Arlington Heights, where it was brigaded with the 20th
N. Y. Militia and 23d and 35th N. Y. Inf. under General Wadsworth. At the open-
ing of the campaign in March, 1862, they marched to Centerville, which they found
evacuated, and returned to Alexandria to take steamers for the Peninsula, but this
plan was changed. While McClellan was advancing up the Peninsula Colonel
Rogers's detachment returned toward Centerville under McDowell, but before the
march was completed turned toward Washington, the rebels having made a dem-
onstration on that city. Colonel Rogers participated with his command in the Mary-



4 LANDMARKS OF STEUBEN COUNTY.

land and Virginia campaigns and was mustered out with the regiment in Buffalo in
in May 1863.

At about the same time he was appointed commissioner of enrollment for the 30th
New York Congressional district and soon afterward received the appointment of
provost-marshal with headquarters in Buffalo, from which he was relieved for politi-
cal reasons at the close of the year 1863. In 1864 he was appointed auditor of the
city ; in 1866 he was chosen comptroller ; and in 1868 he was elected mayor. While
mayor of Buffalo he was instrumental in establishing the present beautiful park
system, one of the finest in the United States, and in his official capacity appointed
the first Board of Park Commissioners, thirteen in number, of which he was ex officio
a member, and of which he was made the first president. At the close of his term
as mayor he was elected secretary and treasurer of that board and held those posi-
tions until he resigned in 1887. He was also secretary and treasurer of the Buffalo
State Hospital while that institution was in process of construction and resigned
those offices in the fall of 1885. In 1885 General Rogers was elected to the 48th Con-
gress, and during his term was chairman of the Committee on Printing and a mem-
ber of the Committee on War Claims.

In October, 1887, he was elected by the board of trustees superintendent of the
New York State Soldiers' and Sailors' Home at Bath, which position he still holds,
and where he has since resided. He was one of the founders of that institution in
1879, a member of the committee charged with selecting the site, a member of the
building committee, and one of its trustees from its inception until 1887. The Home
was originally started by the G. A. R. of the State. Voluntary subscriptions were
solicited from the different G. A. R. Posts and the people, and about $80, 00 J were
contributed. The town of Bath donated the farm upon which the institution is
located and $10,000 additional to the building fund. A portion of the present hos-
pital and barracks A, B, and C were partially completed when the funds were ex-
hausted. The G. A. R. commissioners then went before the Legislature and pro-
posed that the State complete the home and maintain it as a State institution, which
proposition was accepted. Since then the State has maintained it, the U. S. govern-
ment contributing §1 per capita for the average number of inmates in each year.

General Rogers has been president of the State Military Association and is past
department commander of the G. A. R. He was the organizer and charter member
of Chapin Post, No. 2, G. A. R. of Buffalo, the second post organized in the State,
and is a member of Bidwell-Wilkinson Post, No. 9, of Buffalo. He is a member and
past master of Hiram and Demolay Lodges, F. & A. M. , past high priest of Buffalo
Chapter, No. 73, R. A. M. , and past commander of Lake Erie Commandery, No. 20,
K. T. He was married, first, to Miss Caroline M. Waldron, of Honesdale, Pa., who
died in 1846. He married, second, in 1849, Miss Phebe Demoney, of Buffalo, who
died at the Soldiers' Home in Bath in October, 1890. By his first marriage General
Rogers had one son. Franklin, a printer of Washington. His second wife bore him
three children: Mary W. (Mrs. WilHam C. Brown), of New York city; Florence N.
(Mrs. Charles N. Armstrong), of Buffalo; and Thomas J., a prominent civil engineer
of Buffalo, who was engineer In charge of the Soldiers' Home during the laying out
of the grounds and construction of the reservoir and water works.







/ J




i

f .


It


:


^i^P








"^^^^^^jt^II^^


r






£■■







eM




BIOGRAPHICAL. 5

FRANKLIN J. MARSHAL.

Franklin J. Marshal, only surviving son of the late Gen. Otto Frederick Mar^al
(which see), was born on the Marshal homestead in Wheeler, Steuben county, where
he has speiit his active life, on November 25, 1829, and received his education in the
public schools of his native town and at Alfred University in Allegany county. He
succeeded his distinguished father upon the paternal farm and worthily continued
the laudable enterprises inaugurated by that pioneer. He became a progressive
farmer, an extensive breeder of thoroughbred merino sheep, and latterly a heavy
grower of tobacco, carrying on all these various interests with great sagacity and
ability. He was one of the earliest tobacco growers in town, and established a busi-
ness in this line which has more recently been largely increased by his only son.
Otto F., the present supervisor of Wheeler.

Mr. Marshal inherited the native characteristics of the German race. Enterpris-
ing, public-spirited, and honest, liberally endowed with the attributes which marked
his father's notable career, he chose the life of a husbandman with innate knowledge
of its requirements, and succeeded beyond the average degree. He attained the dis-
tinction of a representative farmer and won the approbation of all classes of citizens.
He has long been an active and influential member of the Steuben County Agricul-
tural Society, and for one year served as its president. His advice upon various mat-
ters has been frequently sought and freely given, and his friends are numbered by
the score. For many years he was an influential factor in politics, often a delegate
to political conventions and for several years supervisor of his town, serving with
credit and fidelity.

October 17, 1854, Mr. Marshal was married to Miss Valora E. Smith, of Avoca,
Steuben county, by whom he has two children : Dollie V. and Otto F. The latter
was born on the Marshal homestead in Wheeler on August 5, 1860, and obtained his
education at the Franklin Academy in Prattsburg. He has spent his life upon the
original farm, where he is heavily interested in growing tobacco and breeding regis-
tered merino sheep. He is a member of the Steuben County Agricultural Society,
and is serving his fourth term as supervisor of Wheeler.



JOHN G. KELLY, M. D.

Dr. John G. Kelly was born in Bergen, Genesee county, N. Y., February 13,
1857, the third son of a family of seven children of James Kelly, a farmer and stock
breeder of Genesee county. He was educated in the common school, Bergen High
School and Brockport State Normal School, where he taught school two terms in the
academic department. He took up the study of medicine in tne fall of 1881, enter-
ing the medical department of the University of Buffalo from the Normal School,
and graduating from that institution February 26, 1884. He was interne in the Sis-
ters' Hospital of Buffalo the last two years of his medical school attendance, and
April, 1884, came to Hornellsville, where he has since been engaged in regular prac-
tice of his profession, and has won the highest esteem and respect of his numerous



6 LANDMARKS OP STEUBEN COUNTY.

friends and acquaintances. In 1888 he became identified with the drug firm of
George T. Reed & Co. , now composed of G. T. Reed, Franklin D. Sherwood and
Dr. J. G. Kelly. He is a member of the Hornellsville Medical and Surgical Asso-
ciation, Steuben County Medical Association, the Erie Railway Surgeons' Associa-
tion and the New York State Railway Surgeons' Association. He is the chancellor
of Branch 33, C. M. B. A., and ex-president of the A. O. H., and was a delegate to
the State Convention m 1894. June 1, 1887, he married Theresa Henneberg, of Port
Jervis, N. Y., by whom he has five children. In politics the doctor is a Democrat,
and represented the Third Ward in the Board of Alderman in 1891-92 ; was health
officer in 1886-87. He is chairman of the Democratic City Committee at the present
time. He has been president of the St. James Mercy Hospital staff of physicians
since its organization ; also he is one of the trustees of the hospital.



JOHN D. CONDERMAN.

John D. Conderman was born in Warren, Herkimer county, N. Y., September 30,
1820. He was the son of Adam J. and Elizabeth Conderman who were of Dutch
Protestant descent. His forefathers were among a colony of Dutch who left their
country on account of religious persecution. Their fleets became separated in their
voyage to this country, some landing on the coast of New England, the others enter-
ing New York harbor from whence they migrated up the Hudson and out the Mo-
hawk locating in Herkimer county.

In 1884 Adam J. Conderman together with his family consisting of his wife and
ten children, five sons, Abraham, David, John D., Caleb and Hiram, and five daugh-
ters, Mary, Margaret, Eliza, Rachel and Catherme, moved to what was known as
Dutch street in the town of Fremont, Steuben county, N. Y., where his family grew
up and where he spent the major portion of his remaining days, dying at the home
of his son John D., at the age of eighty-six. He fought in the war of 1812 and his
father, John Conderman, the namesake of John D., was an officer in the Revolu-
tionary war.

John D. Conderman, at the age of twenty-six, married Aseneth Spaulding, daugh-
ter of George and Elizabeth Spaulding, then residents of the town of Howard, N. Y. ,
and purchasing a farm on the cross road from Dutch street to what was known as
the Big Creek Post-office, erected a log house and began life in common with pioneers
of that day.

Here he lived and raised his family consisting of four sons. Frank Conderman,
who is the present owner of a large farm on Dutch street which has never been owned
out of the Conderman family, being settled by John Conderman in 1815. Lavurn D.



Online LibraryHarlo HakesLandmarks of Steuben County, New York → online text (page 37 of 123)