Harlo Hakes.

Landmarks of Steuben County, New York online

. (page 67 of 123)
Online LibraryHarlo HakesLandmarks of Steuben County, New York → online text (page 67 of 123)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


party. His occupation through life has been farmmg, in connection with which, in
his younger days, he taught school thirteen winter terms in school districts adjacent
to the different localities in which he lived. By giving his undivided attention to
business he has been fairly successful. His brother Charles enlisted in the fall of
1863, was in Wilson's raid in Virginia, taken prisoner by the rebels and sent to
Andersonville prison, where he died from exposure, inhuman treatment and starva-
tion.

Dygert, Peter, was born in Montgomery county, December 20, 1824. George
Dygert, his father, was a native of the county, where the family came at a very
early date and^ formed a settlement known as the Dygert settlement, before the
Revolutionary war. Peter Dygert came to Steuben county in 1859 and settled in the
town of Wheeler, and in 1867 came to Bath and bought the Jason Stone farm, where
he now resides. In 1845 he married Rosa Van Evera, who died in 1846 and by
whom he had one child, George ; and in 1858 he married Susan Wagner, by whom he
had one child, James.

Tolbert, John F. , was born in Savona, July 3, 1823, son of John Tolbert, who came
to Steuben county in 1809 and devoted his time to lumbering and farming. He mar-
ried Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Trovenger. John F. Tolbert was educated in the
common schools. In 1860 he married Mary R. French, who died in 1871. For his
second wife he married Sarah A. Tillott, and they have one son, James. Mr. Tol-
bert is one of the conservative men of the town, identified as a contractor, builder,
and farmer, and taking an active interest in school and church work.

Quigley, James, was born 'n of Magherafelt, County of Londonderry, Ireland,
February 7, 1853. His grandfather, William Quigley, was a man of wealth and in-
fluence, a 33d degree Mason, a sturdy Presbyterian, and took an active part as a
volunteer and yeoman with the English government in assisting the Protestants in
the North of Ireland in their terrible struggle for religious peace and liberty from
1790 to 1803, during which period occurred the Rebellion to overthrow the act of union
between Great Britain and Ireland, the outcome of which was its firm establishment.
He also took part in the establishment of the public school system of that country.
His wife was Jane Campbell, who was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and they were the
parents of six sons and three daughters. He died at the age of sixty-five years, and
his wife lived to be one hundred and one years old. John Quigley, father of James,
was the youngest of the family, and also did much toward establishing free public
schools in Ireland, and was a high Mason. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Ben-
jamine and Martha Ellison Booth. Mr. Booth was of English parentage, a high



134 LANDMARKS OF STEUBEN COUNTY.

Mason, and was a member of the Established church, and lived to be one hundred
and three years old. James, who was the oldest of the family, which consisted of
five sons and one daughter, remained with his parents until May 13, 1873, when he
emigrated to America, coming direct to Geneva, N.Y., where he soon found employ-
ment in the nursery business with T. C. Maxwell & Bros. , where he remained seven
years, when he resigned and removed to Prattsburg where he spent five years in
farming, after which he became engaged in the general freighting business between
Kanona and Prattsburg, prior to the construction of the Kanona and Prattsburg rail-
road. In 1890 he engaged in carrying the U. S. mail between Prattsburg and Pulte-
ney, which was a new route recently established. Politically he is a staunch Repub-
lican, and in 1890 was nominated and elected constable of his town, being the only
Republican candidate elected in the town, and since then has been elected to that
office for four consecutive years. In January, 1893, he was appointed deputy sheriff
under Holland, and again in 1895 under L. D. Whiting, the present sheriff, and in
the past two years has succeeded in bringing to justice several criminals, five of
whom were sent to State's prison, and to him is credited the arrest and conviction of
the notorious forgers, William J. Daniels and Edward R. Folsom of Hammondsport,
N.Y. , for which they were sentenced fourteen years, and ten years, respectively.
He was united in marriage, September 5, 1873, by the Rev. William Hogarth, of
Geneva, N.Y., with Esther Love, daughter of Thomas and Jane Love, who were old
neighbors of Mr. Quigley's in County Londonderry, they having crossed the Atlantic
together. Their children are William H., who is an employee of the K. & P. R. R.,
Samuel J., John C, Thomas L., Benjamine H., Anna and Florence, Mr. and Mrs.
Quigley are members of the Presbyterian church.

Peck, George L., was born in the town of Canisteo, January 37, 1864. Samuel B.
Peck, his father, was a native of Connecticut, and came to the town of Cameron in
18:^1. He was a farmer, and by trade a mason, which business he followed in con-
nection with his farm work. He married Jane E. Merrell of Cameron, by whom he
had nine children : Joseph, Mattie, Emma, George L , Julius, Julia, Lottie, Albert,
and Minnie. Joseph and Emma are dead. George L. has for many years been one
of the leading men in his trade as a carpenter, and is now devoting his time and at-
tention to a farm of ninety acres, which he owns. He married Alice, daughter of
Mark Jones of Canisteo.

Carpenter, William, was born in Oxford, Chenango county, N.Y., July 36, 1827,
second of a family of ten children born to James and Elizabeth (Dodge) Carpenter.
James was born in Otsego county in 1800, and Mrs. Carpenter was born in Preston,
Chenango county, in 1802. The grandfather, Joseph, spent his life in Otsego county,
where he died in 1808. The maternal grandfather, Peter Dodge, was born in Che-
nango county, and died in East Troupsburg. James Carpenter was a farmer and
came to East Troupsburg in 1881, where he died at the age of eighty-two years. His
wife died at the age of thirty-nine years. William was reared on the farm and was
educated in the district schools. He remained at home until he reached his majority,
when he, with his brother Willis, took up a farm of 100 acres in Troupsburg, which
he soon sold and purchased another farm of 100 acres, where he lived for twelve
years. He then bought and sold various farms until coming to WoodhuU, where he
owns a fine farm of 300 acres. The year 1876 was spent in Tioga county. Pa. Mr.



FAMILY SKETCHES. 135

Carpenter lived on his farm at Woodhull until 1885, when he came to the village and
now lives a retired life. In 1853 he was poormaster in Troupsburg, 1858-59, high-
way commissioner, and in 1862, supervisor. He was supervisor of Woodhull in 1873,
'74, '75, road commissioner in 1869, and justice of the peace for eight consecutive
years. He has been trustee of the academy for nine years. November 19, 1850, he
married Miriam Pease, by whom he had six daughters and one son; Susan, wife of
J. Edwards; Huldah, wife of R. L. Symonds; Delphian, wife of E. Bats; Jennie,
wife of William Cook; Lydia, wife of J. C. Husted; Jessie, and W. G. Carpenter.
On the 4th day of July, 1894, William Carpenter was chosen president of the day,
and here is his opening speech : ' ' Friends, we have met here to-day to celebrate the
day that was created 117 years ago to-day. On the 4th day of July, in the year
1776, my friends, we ever must revere. Our fathers took their muskets then to fight
for freedom dear. We had Green, Gates and Putnam to manage in the field, a gal-
lant train of heroes, who rather die than yield. Then you remember the battles
which were fought: The battle of Bunker Hill, the battle of Lexington, the battle of
Trenton, and finally the battle of Yorktown, where the American Independence was
gained. 'Twas then and there the brave old soldiers said ' King George, we do not
fear the rattling of your thunder nor lightning of your spear.' In a few months
after that peace was declared, and we became a great nation. Friends, what do we
see? Then we see the emigrants coming to our shores; they come from every nation ;
they come from every way ; they come, they come to the ' Land of the free and the
home of the brave.' Then these emigrants; some go to the northward, some go to
the southward, but the great majority go westward, westward the star of the Empire,
the star of Liberty, until we have sixty-five millions of free and happy people.
Friends, lest I weary you, in conclusion would say, I am proud of our country; I am
proud of these old soldiers sitting here ; I am proud of these gentlemen sitting at my
right; and above all I am proud of that old flag; long may it wave. ' Long may it
wave, o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.' We are a great nation,
indeed who has a better right to celebrate? " — Com.

Starr, Clarence L., M.D., was born in Georgetown, County Halton, Ontario, Can.,
July 1, 1867. Milton H., his father, is a physician in Whitby, Canada, a graduate of
Bellevue, New York city, class of '66. He was the father of two sons: Frank H., in
practice with his father ; and Clarence L. The latter was educated in the Whitby
Collegiate Institute and in 1885 entered the University of Toronto, taking the art
course the first year, and then in 1886 entering the medical department, from which
he graduated with the degree of M.D., Jime 10, 1890. The following fall he went to
New York and after one session at Bellevue, from which he graduated in March, 1891,
he entered the New York Hospital for the Relief of the Ruptured and Crippled,
where he spent one year and four months. He was then for six months with Dr.
Powers as assistant for the out-door charitable practice. The doctor also holds a
certificate from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. In March, 1893,
he was offered the position of surgeon to the Hornellsville Sanitarium, which posi-
tion he accepted, and has since been a resident of Steuben county. He is a member
of the Hornellsville Medical and Surgical Association. In November, 1893, he mar-
ried Annie L. Dryden, of Whitby, Canada. They have ohe child, Marion Gertrude.
Mrs. Starr is daughter of Hon. John Dryden, minister of agriculture of the Provin-
cial Legislature of Ontario.



136 LANDMARKS OF STEUBEN COUNTY.

McGuire, Charles F. , was born in Hornellsville, June 33, 1853. Michael McGuire
his father, was a native of Fermanaugh county, Ireland, and came to this country in
1847, and was in various places in New York apd Pennsylvania until the spring of
1850. His location here was an accident. He had been in Saratoga and in the spring
of 1850 he heard they were going to build a railroad in this section, and arriving here
in April of that year, he worked for Judge Thatcher for the first month and then fol-
lowed it up by helping him repair his residence, The winter of 1850 and '51 he was
employed as a carpenter at bridge building on the Erie Railroad, and the next spring
took up general jobbing in carpenter work, and then became a contractor; one resi-
dence on Elm street, John Carry's residence on Jane street were his labor, and he
also built Hilton's house on the corner of Oak and Elm streets, and did much work
on the Prindle tannery. He is an enthusiastic Republican and was for three years
assessor of the town and three years an auditor. He was one of the founders of the
Catholic church and has always been one of its warmest supporters. He is a man
who came to the town with very small possessions and who by industry and perse-
verance has become one of the representative men of the town. He is now in his
sixty-ninth year. In 1851 he married Catherine Pardon of Andover, who died in
1878, leaving seven children, five now living. The block now occupied by the stibject
of this sketch as a hardware store and plumber shop is the McGuire block erected in
1874. Charles served an apprenticespip at the tinner trade, and in in 1870 went with
Vanetten & Smith to learn the tinner' strade. When he had served his time he went
in business for himself, and by close attention he became a professional mechanic
and a practical plumber, and has established a reputation for first class work. He
located in his present quarters in 1875 and employs from two to five men as the times
demand. He is a Republican in politics and a thorough protectionist, and held the
ofSce of city treasurer in 1878. He also served three terms as the representative of
the Third ward in the Common Council. He is one of the Board of Examiners of
plumbers, and supervisor of plumbing for the city, appointed by the mayor in 1893
as " master plumber." In 1878 he married Catherine Biggins, a native of Ireland,
of this city, by whom he had six children, four living now.

Wakeley, Dr. Benjamin C. , was born in New Hudson, Allegany county, March 7,
1854. Hiram Wakeley, his father, was a farmer, who is well known as one of the
leading Republicans of that count)', having served in the Lower House of the State
Legislature for two terms, also as supervisor of his town for a number of years. He
is still living and is about seventy years old. Benjamin C. , the only son of a family
of three children, was educated in the common schools, Belfast Academy, and Ten
Broeck Free Academy at Franklinville, N.Y. At the age of eighteen he entered a
drug store at Cuba, N. Y. , where he spent two years. Later he was under the in-
struction of William M. Smith, health officer oi the port of New York, with whom he
remained four years at Angelica until 1873. He graduated from the medical depart-
ment of the Buffalo University in 1876. Dr. Smith was appointed health officer in
1880 and Dr. Wakeley took up the practice left open by him. In 1891 he removed to
Hornellsville, where he has established a successful and extensive practice. Shortly
after coming here he entered into partnership with Dr. Joseph S. Dolson, which
partnership existed until the failing health of the latter compelled him to retire
from the profession. The doctor is a member of the Hornellsville Medical Associa-



FAMILY SKETCHES. 137

tion and of the New York State Medical Association. In 1893 Dr. Wakeley was
elected coroner for a term of three years, and in 1892 was appointed city physician
and has been reappointed each successive year. He is a member of the Masonic
order and is the surgeon of the Central New York & Western Railroad. In 1878 he
married Miss Mary Schofield of Angelica, by whom he has two children ; Josephine
and Martha.

Ayers, Nelson, was born in the town of Hector, January 24, 1824, son of Daniel B.
Ayers, who lived and died in the town of Ulysses. Nelson was given a common
school education, which he improved by good reading and careful study. He re-
mained with his father until twenty-three years of age, and then bought a farm in
the town of Enfield, where he spent seven years, and then returned to Ulysses,
making his home there till the spring of 1868, when he came to Steuben county and
bought the Dyke farm of 160 acres, where he has made many valuable improve-
inents. He is a Democrat and is now serving his fourth year as one of the assess-
ors. In 1845 he married Maria S. Van Kirk of Ulysses, and three children were
born to them, none of whom is living. Mrs. Ayers died in 1864. The present Mrs.
Ayers was Sarah E. Curry, sister of Dr. Silas T. Curry, and widow of Chester L.
Francis. An adopted daughter, Margaret Francis, is the wife of Charles Edgar
Beach, and forms part of Mr. Ayers's family. She has two children: Maria Louise,
now in her sixth year, and Sophia Cora in her fourth year.

Palmer, Dr. William Everett, was born m Truxtou, Cortland county, N. Y. , June
30, 1838, the second son of Norman Palmer, a farmer of that town. He was edu-
cated in Milton College, Wisconsin, and after twelve years spent in teaching he took
up the study of medicine. He was for four years principal of public schools in
Salem, N. J. His first study of medicine was with Dr. John D. Kenyon of Westerly,
R. I., and he then entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York,
graduating May 2, 1882. He began practice with Dr. Daniel Lewis in New York
city, and the fall of 1882 located in Hornellsville, where we now find him with one of
the most extensive circle of friends of any member of the profession. He is a mem-
ber of the Steuben County Medical Society, and Hornellsville Medical and Surgical
Association. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and a supporter of the Seventh Day
Baptist church. He has also been prominently identified with many of the insurance
and benefit organizations. In 1864 he married Maggie C Noble of Shiloh, N. J., by
whom he had three children: Ivie J., a graduate of Alfred and one of the musical
experts of Hornellsville; Jessie M., a student of the academy, and Everett C, also
a student.

Spink, William H., was born in Geneva, Ontario county, June 10, 1852. John
Spink, the father of William, was a native of England, came to this country in 1844
and located in Geneva, where he followed his trade of tailor. He removed to Hor-
nellsville in 1854. and it was here William was reared and educated in the common
schools. His first occupation was in the mercantile line, and at about eighteen years
of age he began an apprenticeship as carpenter and builder, where there were fifteen
men ; in less than seven years they were working for him. In 1876 he began taking
contracts for the erection of buildings. His first contract was the residence of Dave
Carl, although he was foreman builder of the Dr. Robinson block at the corner of



138 LANDMARKS OF STEUBEN COUNTY.

Main street and Haker avenue. Since that time he has erected some of the finest
places of this city, viz., Columbia Schpol building, rebuilt the Lincoln School, Pres-
ton's and Hutchinson's residences, the McDougal and Smith buildings on Broad
street, Nellie McDonald's building, O. W. Pratt's residence, and Schaul Bro=., Frank
Bennett's house, and many other of the fine residences of the city; also a large block
of seven houses; he built fourteen houses in one season. He was married. May 7,
1874. to Miss May Whiting, daughter of Oliver Whiting, a farmer of Hartsville, who
died January 17, 1894. They have five children : Belle, Mark W. of the academy,
Frank G., Bertha M., and Florence E.

Huntley, Seth M., was born in the town of Avon, Livingston county, N. Y. , Sep-
tember 30. 1840. Albert G. Huntley, the father of our subject, was a native of Mich-
igan and became a resident of Steuben county about 1850, locating at Corning. He
was in early life a farmer, afterward a lumberman and mill owner, and the later
twenty-five years of his life he conducted hotels in Corning and Pennsylvania. He
died in 1863. Of his seven children, Seth was the third. He had the advantage of
a common school education, and was only in his eleventh year when he left the
paternal roof and began his life work on a farm. He was employed with his uncle
in the town of Burns, Allegany county until twenty-two years of age. In 1862 he
leased a farm in the town of Burns and in 1868 in partnership with his father-in-law,
he bought the Tom Bennett farm of seventy-five acres, three miles north of the city
of Hornellsville, where he has ever since been located. Mr. Huntley has made the
farm a garden, and is considered one of the most prosperous farmers of this section.
He was married, October 13, 1862, to Miss Cornelia L. Downs, daughter of Alanson
W. Downs, a prominent farmer of Hornellsville. They have been the parents of two
children : Alanson Hart Huntley, who is with his father on the farm, and Arthur
Albert, student of Baltimore Medical College of the class of 1896. Mrs. Huntley died
October 29, 1886 ; a true Christian and a devoted wife and loving mother, her family
will never cease to mourn her loss.

Powers, Edward, was born in Newark, N. J., November 8, 1857. John Powers,
the father of Edward, is a native of Ireland, and came to this country in 1847. He
learned the trade of tailor in his native land, and was located in Newark until 1868.
That year he removed to Dunkirk, where he entered the employ of Mead McCamp-
bell & Co. , and continued in such for about one year, when the firm went out of ex-
istence. He then moved to Corning, Steuben county, where he entered the employ
of Sdm Wellington. Young Edward about this time started to learn the business of
his father, under whose careful training he became an expert tailor, and in 1875 he
came to Hornellsville where he entered the employ of Lehman & Ryan, and after-
wards with Adsit & Son. He spent one year in Ithaca, and returning to Hornells-
ville in 1881, he became a member of the firm of Ryan & Powers, which existed
about two years. After this venture Mr. Powers kept a small concern on Main street
until his present venture, which he started in 1887. Mr. Powers is the leading tailor
of the city and commands a large portion of the trade of the surrounding country ;
he employs from fourteen to eighteen hands in his shop, which is over his spacious
store on Broad and Canisteo streets. Mr. Powers has always taken an active inter-
est in politics, and although being a strong Republican he has been twice elected to
represent his ward — the third — which is Democratic, as alderman. He was married



FAMILY SKETCHED. 139

in 1879 to Miss Rose O'Connor of Hornellsville, by whom hie had five children, three
of whom are living: 'Anna, a student at St. Ann's Academic School; Mary and
Frances ; John, who died in 1887 at the age of six ; and Edward Early, who died in
1891, being only one year old.

Smith, Thomas N., was born in the town of Pulteney, August 6, 1844. His father,
Philip T. Smith, was a native of Putnam county, son of Thomas Smith, and grand-
son of Philip Smith, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Philip T. came to
Steuben in 1840, settling in Pulteney, and married Aner, a daughter of Niles Dean,
whose ancestors came from England in the "Mayflower." Mr. and Mrs. Smith had
but one child, a son, Thomas N. In 1858 they moved to Bath, and in 185a to the
farm near Kanona. Before coming to Steuben county, Mr. Smith was engaged in
contracting and building ; but after coming here he engaged in farming. He died
in 1886, aged eighty-four years. Mrs. Smith died in 1895, aged seventy-five years.
Thomas "N. was educated at Bath, Painted Post and Prattsburg, and has made an
intelligent and scientific study of farming, breeding short-horn cattle and Chester
White swine. For the past three years Mr. Smith has served as treasurer of the
Steuben County Agricultural Society, and in the fall of 1894 was the Democratic can-
didate for county treasurer, but was defeated by his Republican rival.

Prentice, Jonathan R., was born in Hancock, New Hampshire, in 1795, and came
to Steuben county in 1823 with his father, Henry Prentice, and bought land in the
town of Jasper. They returned to New Hampshire, and the following spring he,
with his brother, William, returned on foot. They cleared ten acres of land and
sowed wheat. They owned together 160 acres, but Mr. Prentice sold his interest
and moved on to another section in the valley, where he spent the balance of his life.
He was one of the organizers of the township, and was for a number of years the
supervisor. He was oneof the founders of the First Presbyterian church of the town,
and was clerk of the school district for a great many years. He reared a family of
three children: Henry C, who went to Kansas, where he died in 1887, at the age of
fifty-eight; >irs. George D. Woodward, of Greenwood, N. Y., and William R. The
latter was educated at Alfred University and remained on the farm until twenty-one.
He was three years in the army as a member of the 161st Regt. N. Y. ^^ols., enlist-
ing as a private and rising to first lieutenant, and then captain of Co. H. After the
war closed he was engaged in mercantile business for eight years, then took up
teaching, first at Alfred, and then three years as principal of a grammar school at
Elmira, N. Y. In 1887 he was engaged to fill the position of superintendent of
schools and principal of the. academy of Hornellsville, which position he has since
occupied.

White, William W. , was born in the town of Ossian, Livingston county, May 27,
1842. James G. White, his father, was a farmer, and of his family of ten children,
William W. was the sixth. He was given an education in the common schools and
at fourteen years of age entered Rogersville Seminary, where he took up the study
of medicine with some of the most noted physicians of Steuben and Livingston coun-
ties. He taught school for nine years in different towns in Livingston and Steuben



Online LibraryHarlo HakesLandmarks of Steuben County, New York → online text (page 67 of 123)