Harvard College (1780- ). Class of 1902.

Secretary's ... report online

. (page 18 of 50)
Online LibraryHarvard College (1780- ). Class of 1902Secretary's ... report → online text (page 18 of 50)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Address: (home) 1210 Astor St., Chicago, III.

[Adds nothing to data in previous report.]


Born at Yokohama, Japan, Nov. 30, 1880. Parents: Gustavus, Jr., Katharine
Sedgivick (Cheney) Farley. School: Morse's School, New York, N. Y.

Degrees: A.B. 1902; A.D.G. (Ecole des Beaux Arts) 1909.

Married: Eloise Gately Beers, Paris, France, Nov. 30, 1909; Elizabeth Endi-
cott, Feb. 12, 1922. Children: Alice Barrett, Sept. 15, 1910; Caroline
Johnson, Jan. 23, 1912; Katharine Cheney, Dec. 13, 1913; Frank Cheney,
Jr., July 20, 1915.

Occupation : Architect.

Address: (home) 238 East 4:9th St., New York, N. Y.; (business) 333
Fourth Ave., New York, N. Y.

THE first two years after leaving College I spent at the School
of Architecture at Columbia. From there I transferred my
studies to Paris, where I entered the Ecole des Beaux Arts, com-
pleting the course in Architecture and taking the diploma of the
French Government. On my return to this country, early in 1910,
I spent a couple of years with certain New York architects, and
in 1912 opened an office of my own, doing some work in association
with Parker Morse Hooper also of 1902. Since the war, however,
my office has been moved and I have formed other associations.


I have no claim to any real hobbies except a bit of wild explor-
ing of parts of Southern New England on foot or in a "flivver," and
enjoying the usual games and sports, particularly with the children.
Before and during my student days I visited the more important
places in England, Holland, Belgium, France, and Italy, with a trip
to Southern Germany and Vienna. Since then the trip to the Cali-
fornia Exposition in 1915 is as far afield as I have been.

War Service: I was with Post Office Department, New York
from Jan. 3, 1918, to April, 1918. Entered Office of Chief of Ord-
nance, Washington, D. C, as Special Assistant on May 1, 1918,
and was attached to Planning and Control Section of Central
Bureau, and to successors of this Section viz. Executive Section of
Chief of Ordnance's personal office until May 20, 1919.

Member: Harvard Club of New York; American Yacht Club of
Rye, N. Y.


Born at Boston, Mass., Sept. 20, 1882. Parents: John Woodford, Annie
(Hardon) Farlow. School: Noble and Greenough's School, Boston,

Degrees: A.B. 1902; LL.B. 1905.

Married: Edith Morse, Manchester, N. H., Aug. 20, 1908. Children:
John Smith, Jr., Aug. 13, 1910; Richard Waters, Nov. 12, 1913.

Occupation: Cotton manufacturing.

Address: (home) Love Lane, Weston, Mass.; (business) 50 State St., Bos-
ton, Mass.

[Adds nothing to data in Fifth Report.]

War Service: Enlisted in American Ambulance. Served from
January, 1915, to July, 1915, from December, 1916, to June, 1917,
and from August, 1917, until April, 1919. Was attached first to
the American Ambulance; then the American Field Service, the 6th
F, A. (1st Division) ; 3d Corps. At first ranked as an ambulance
driver; received commission of 1st Lieutenant later. Was located
at Campiegne, Argonne, Hill 304 (near Verdun), Champagne, Lune-
ville Sector, Toul Sector, Cantigny Sector, Soissons, Vesle, and
Meuse-Argonne. Served during engagements at Argonne, January,
1917, Hill 304, January to March, 1917, Champagne, April to June,

1917, Luneville Sector, October, 1917, Toul Sector, February to
April, 1918, Cantigny Sector, April to July, 1918, Soissons, July,

1918, Vesle, August, 1918, and Meuse-Argonne, September, October
and November, 1918.



Born at Elyria, O., Dec. 11, 1879. Parents: John Hall, Elizabeth Browning

(Starr) Faxon. School: University School, Cleveland, O.
Degree: A.B. 1902.

Occupation: Bond salesman.
Address: (home) 509 Middle Ave., Elyria, O.

FROM 1902 to 1903 I was a clerk for the Society for Savings,
Cleveland. I was then identified with Hayden, Miller and Co.,
investment securities from September, 1903 to December, 1915.
From December 1915 to February, 1921, I was with Lee, Higgin-
son and Company as Manager for the State of Ohio.

War Service: 1st Training Camp Fort Benjamin Harrison, India-
napolis, Indiana., May 15, 1917 to August 15, 1917; commissioned
Captain Infantry U. S. A. Camp Sherman, Chillicothe, Ohio, from
August 15. 1917 to May 30, 1918, Captain Commanding Co. D. 323rd
M. G. Bat. In France, July 1, 1918 to Sept. 28, 1919; Dec. 8, 1918
transferred to 263rd Military Police Co., and stationed at Paris
from Jan. 8, 1919 to Aug. 5, 1919; discharged Oct. 15, 1919.

Member: Union, University, and Rowfant Clubs, Cleveland;
Cleveland Chamber of Commerce, American Legion.


Born at South Braintree, Mass., Aug. 12, 1880. Parents: William Otis,
Susan Reed (Wales) Faxon. School: Hopkinsons School, Boston,

Degrees: A.B. 1902; M.D. 1905.

Married: Marie Bassett Conant, Boston, Mass., Sept. 22, 1905. Children:
Nathaniel Conant, Feb. 12, 1908; William Otis, 2d, Oct. 19, 1910; Her-
bert Wales, Aug. 4, 1915.

Occupation: Assistant Resident Physician.

Address: Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass.

GRADUATING from the Medical School in 1905, I served as
house pupil on the South Surgical Service of the Massachusetts
General Hospital. Sickness prevented the completion of this serv-
ice, and after nearly a year's illness I began the practice of medi-
cine with my father at Stoughton, Mass. A country doctor's life
is interesting, varied, and exacting, with hard duties and satisfying
compensations. As a return for being a public servant, both by
day and by night, there is given the homage and the respect of grate-
ful patients. This alternation of pain and pleasure was my lot for
ten years. For a short time I was connected as instructor in


surgery with Tufts Medical School; a recurrence in 1913 of my
former enemy, (acute inflammatory rheumatism) caused my resigna-
tion of this position and an enforced idleness of eight months,
terminated by a most interesting and delightful voyage to Jamaica,
where a stay of two weeks brought returning health. The entry
of the United States into the World War caused my entrance into
the Medical Reserve Corps, and the story of my wanderings during
that hectic two years is told elsewhere.

Returning in May 1919, infected with the common unrest, I for-
sook general practice and entered the Massachusetts General Hos-
pital as assistant resident physician. Here I have remained, living
in the resident physician's house on the hospital grounds at the
corner of Allen and Blossom Streets, enjoying my work to the
fullest extent, and happy in the association with that remarkable
group of physicians and surgeons that form the staff of this vener-
able institution. No greater honor, I believe, can come to any doc-
tor than to be connected with this Hospital, and so I can say that
twenty years have brought me many joys, much happiness, and a
position which is agreeable beyond expression.

Three boys — tells in two words the joys and sorrows of bringing
up children. The two oldest are now attending the Noble and
Greenough School, and the youngest the Brimmer School. Have
made no travels worthy of mention other than those of war service,
and the previously mentioned trip to Jamaica.

Service upon the Board of Health of Stoughton, which is no
more than falls to the lot of all country doctors in his home
town sooner or later, represents my civic service.

War Service: Enlisted in the Medical Reserve Corps on July
11, 1917. Was attached first to Ft. Benjamin Harrison as instruc-
tor, M. 0. T. C, and from October, 1917, to April, 1919, was at-
tached to Field Hospital No. 28, 4th Sanitary Train, 4th Division,
Regulars, and Field Hospital No. 167, 42d Division. Commis-
sioned 1st Lieutenant, M. R. C. on June 22, 1917, Captain, Nov.
24, 1917, and Major, May 31, 1918. Was Commanding Officer,
Field Hospital No. 28, from March, 1918, until April 1, 1919.
Was engaged in the Aisne-Marne Defensive and Offensive, Vesle
Offensive, St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne operations, and with the
Army of Occupation.

Had a most interesting experience. Saw America first and then
toured Europe at Uncle Sam's expense. First started at Fort An-
drews in Boston harbor. Then went to the M. 0. T. C. at Ft.
Benj. Harrison. Was sent to Gas School at Fort Sill, Okla., then
back to Ft. Harrison as Instructor. Assigned to Field Hospital


No. 28 at Fort Ontario, N. Y., in October, 1917, and remained
with them throughout the whole time, being detached to join
the 42nd Division on its way home in April, 1919. The hos-
pital was assigned to the 4th Division Regular mobilizing at
Camp Greene, N. C. and passed a hard winter there. Arrived in
France just in time to take part in the reduction of the Chateau-
Thierry Salient — the Division taking part in the Aisne-Marne de-
fensive and offensive and the attempt to cross the Vesle river, after
which it was withdrawn for rest before being sent to participate
in the St. Mihiel offensive. Imonediately following that it crossed
the Meuse and took part in the Meuse-Argonne offensive advancing
over Dead Man's Hill and Montfaucon, having twenty-six con-
secutive days of combat. Attached to Army of Occupation follow-
ing the Armistice and occupied the area behind or West of Coblenz,
with Division Headquarters at Bad Bertrick where the F. H. was
stationed for four months. Commanded the hospital from March,
1918, until departure April, 1, 1919. Discharged from service May,
3, 1919. Would not have missed it for anything, but would hate
to go through it again.

Publications: The Country Doctor and the Hospital, Boston
Medical and Surgical Journal, August 9, 1917; Statistics that Hos-
pitals should collect and publish; read at the 1921 meeting of the
American Hospital Association, and soon to be published in the
Modern Hospital.

Member: Harvard Club of Boston; Chicataubut Club of Stough-
ton; Wampatuck Golf Club of Canton; Aesculapian Club; Military
Order of the World War; American Legion; Association of Military
Surgeons of the United States; American Hospital Association;
New England Hospital Association; Massachusetts General Hos-
pital House Pupils Alumni Association.


Born at Washington, D.C., May 3, 1880. Parents: Edward Allen, Mary
(Bradshaiv) Fay. School: Central High School, Washington, D.C.

Degree: A.B. 1902.


Occupation : Contractor.

Address: (home) Atlanta Athletic Club, East Lake, Ga.; (business) 64?
Poplar St., Atlanta, Ga.; (permanent) Kendall Green, Washington, D.C.

AFTER leaving College I worked as architectural draftsman in
several Boston offices until 1907 when I came South, first to
Columbia, S. C, and then to Atlanta, Ga., where I have been located


since 1908. I worked as architectural draftsman and practiced ar-
chitecture until 1921; at present I am estimator for Gude and Co.,

My hobby is golf.

After a year's hard work in camp went to England in May, 1918;
toured the "rest camps" with a large party, had six exciting months
in France, and then spent several years in small French vil-
lages waiting for a chance to get home in May, 1919.

War Service: Entered First Officers' Training Camp at Fort
McPherson, Ga., May 10, 1917. Was commissioned 1st Lieut. Aug.
15, 1917, and assigned to Co. H, 328th Inf., at Camp Gordon, Ga.
Left United States for overseas service on May 1, 1918. Service
with 328th Inf., 82nd Div., in France, Toul Sector, Lagny Sector
and the St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne offensives. Promoted to
Capt. Inf., in October, 1918; returned from overseas in May, 1919;
discharged July 2, 1919.

Member: Atlanta Athletic Club, Gate City Lodge No. 2, F. & A.
M., Atlanta Consistory No. 2, A. A. S. R., Yaarab Temple, A. 0. N.
M. S.


Born at Wichita Kan., March 24, 1879. Parents: Lloyd Bascom, Tarsy

Salome (Myers) Ferrell. School: Fairmount College Wichita, Kan.
Degree: A.B. 1902.
Married: Helen Bayne Reilly, Wichita, Kan., June 19, 1901. Children:

Robert Myers May 10, 1902; Lloyd Bayne, May 10, 1902; Garland Peter,

Jr., Dec. 10, 1907.
Occupation : Advertising.
Address: {home) 312 East Elm St., Wichita, Kan.; (business) The

Wichita Eagle, Wichita, Kan.

FOR four years, beginning in 1902, I was a Boston Herald re-
porter; four years Boston correspondent of the New York
Herald; and five years editor and managing editor of the Wichita
Daily Eagle.

The interval 1915-1921 I spent as a cattle ranchman at Beau-
mont Kansas, meanwhile developing into mechanical devices more
than one hundred patent claims relating to typography, and per-
fecting what I call a "Print-writer." The layman would describe
these mechanisms as a sort of typewriter — except that their prod-
uct is recorded typographically from selected fonts with the ap-
pearance defined by practical printers as printed lines "justified
within a predetermined measure."


At present I am again on the Wichita Daily Eagle, this time in
the advertising department, specializing in commercial research and
merchandising service.


Born at St. Louis, Mo., April 24, 1881. Parents: Washington Emil, Martha
(Ellis) Fischel. School: Smith Academy, St. Louis, Mo.

Degrees: A.B. 1902; M.D. (Washington, Mo.) 1905.

Married: Virginia Elliot, St. Louis, Mo., June 1, 1914. Children: Blanche,
Oct. 16, 1915; Virginia Elliot, Jr., Dec. 21, 1917.

Occupation: Physician.

Address: (home) 14 Lenox Place, St. Louis, Mo.; (business) Humboldt
Bldg., St. Louis, Mo.

STUDIED Medicine at Washington University. Then, after
a year's experience as interne at the St. Louis City Hospital,
I went abroad for a year. There I studied at Berlin and Vienna,
and visited many universities and hospitals in Germany, France,
and England. Since 1908 I have been engaged in the practice of
medicine in St. Louis.

War Service: Enlisted on May 16, 1917, with Medical Depart-
ment, U. S. A., with rank of Captain, M. C. Was later promoted
to Major, and then to Lieutenant-Colonel. Served in Rouen, France,
with British General Hospital 12 (American Base Hospital 21), and
also served with 2d British Army in Flanders at 3d Australian
Casualty Clearing Station and 138th Field Ambulance. Received
honorable discharge on April 26, 1919.

Base Hospital Unit No. 21 (organized during Summer and Fall
of 1916) was called into active service May 16, 1917; sailed from
New York May 19 and on June 12, 1917, took over a 1350 bed
hospital at Rouen, France. As head of medical service I served
continuously at this hospital until February, 1919, with the excep-
tion of one month spent with British 2nd Army in Flanders. From
February to April I did nothing with thousands of others awaiting
return to the United States. Was mustered out at Camp Dix on
April 26, 1919. During my twenty-three months active service,
I was fortunate in having a minimum of military duties with a
maximum of professional experience.

Member: University and Country Clubs, St. Louis; Harvard
Clubs of St. Louis and Boston; St. Louis Medical Society; St.
Louis Society of Internal Medicine; American Medical Association.



Born at Halifax, N. S., Oct. 18, 1878. Parents: Robert Stanley, Abbie
{Hyde) Fitch. School: Boston Latin School and Hopkinsons School,
Boston, Mass.

Degree: (s. 1898-99) M.D. 1903.

Married: Ruth Cowles Hart, London, England, April 16, 1908.

Occupation : Physician.

Address: {home) 1010 East Ave., Rochester, N. Y.; {business) 366 East
Ave., Rochester, N. Y.

HAVE been practicing my profession in Rochester since 1905.
My practice is limited to orthopedic surgery. For some years
I was secretary of American Orthopedic Association. At present
I am president-elect of American Orthopedic Association.

Golf and auction are my hobbies. From 1908 to 1913 I took
three motor trips, visiting the British Isles and most of the con-
tinental countries, as far east as Budapest.

War Service: Saw service in French Military Hospitals from
January, 1915, to January, 1919, the latter portion of the time
being surgeon in charge of the center for bone surgery for the
third French Region. In September, 1917, I was commissioned
Major in Medical Corps, U. S. A. At present I hold rank of
Lieutenant-Colonel in Medical Reserve Corps.

On July 4, 1917, I received the Chevalier de FOrdre National de
la Legion d'honneur.

Member: Genesee Valley Club; Country Club of Rochester;
American Medical Association; American Orthopedic Association,


Born at Lowell, Mass., April 11, 1872. Parents: Frank Eugene, Charlotte

Isadora {Whitney) Fitts. School: High School, Somerville, Mass.
Degrees: (c. 1898-1899) ; S.T.B. {Episc. Theol. Sch.) 1901.
Married: Clara Eliza Atwood, 1917.
Occupation : Minister.
Address: 40 Linwood St., Roxbury, Mass.

DIRECTLY after graduation from the Episcopal Theological
School, Cambridge and ordination to the Deaconate, I be-
came an assistant curate at Calvary Church, New York City under
Rev. Lewis Parks, D. D., Rector, and was ordained to the priesthood
there in May, 1902. In June, 1902, I became associate priest of St.
Stephen's Church, Boston, where I worked for five years among the


people of tHe South End, and on the Board of Religious Education
of the Diocese of Massachusetts. In 1907 I came to St. John's
Church, Roxbury Crossing, as associate Rector, and was made
Rector in 1908, which position I still hold. During these years at
St. John's the church has been enlarged and rebuilt, and I have
served the Diocese as secretary of the Standing Committee, chair-
man of the Department of Religious Education and member of the
Executive Committee of the Episcopal City Mission, and am still
serving in these capacities.

Hobbies: I'm very much interested in the study of liturgies
and the ceremonial of the Church and the allied arts, and especially
the revival of the old English use in the service of the American

In 1906 I traveled in England, France, Northern Italy, Switzer-
land, Germany and Belgium; in 1907, England, the Lakes and Scot-
land. In 1911, I went to England and took duty in St. Barnabas
Church, Stachleuell Lane for a month, also traveled in Shropshire
and Devon. In February 1921, I went to Bermuda and to Okla-
homa in April.

War Service: I served as voluntary chaplain, under appoint-
ment by Bishop Lawrence, to the U. S. Army when in training at
the Wenworth Institute in Roxbury.

Member: Clericus Club, Clerical Club, Massachusetts Catholic

^ iRic!)arD ^m6ro0e jFitp(Difi6on

Born at New York, N. Y., March 10, 1878. Parents: William Edward,

Anna {Morris) Fitz-Gibbon. School: E. A. Stone (tutor).
Degree: (s. 1898-1899.)

Married: Florence Dederer Pinckney, New Rochelle, N. Y., Jan. 17, 1906.
Died Dec. 22, 1911.

[The Secretary has been unable to obtain an obituary.]


Born at Cambridge, Mass., Nov. 1, 1879. Parents: Francis Xavier, Mary
Ellen (Concannon) Fitzpatrick. School: Browne and Nichols School,
Cambridge, Mass.; Hale's School, Boston, Mass.

Degree: A.B. 1902.

Married: Lucy Patrice Quin, Cambridge, Mass., June 15, 1909.

Occupation : Stockbroker.

Address: {home) Hotel Braemore Boston, Mass.; {business) 60 State St.,
Boston, Mass.


AFTER graduating from College I spent one year in the Harvard
Medical School. The following year I entered the real estate
business, until 1908, when I entered the stock brokerage business
at 60 State Street, where I have since continued under the name of
James H. Fitzpatrick Co. I am a member of the Boston Stock Ex-

My hobbies are yachting, boxing and horses.

I have traveled all over the United States, Canada, and South

War Service: Military Intelligence.

Member: Harvard Club, Boston; Boston Athletic Association,
Belmont Country Club; Boston City Club; Boston Yacht Club; Bos-
ton Chamber of Commerce, Life Member of Cambridge Lodge of


Born at West Newton, Mass., Sept. 2, 1879. Parents: Thomas Bernard,
Sarah Mary (Gleason) Fitzpatrick. School: High School, Newton,

Degree: A.B. 1902.

Married: Alice Marie Wilcock, Brookline, Mass., Oct. 22, 1907. Children:
Paul Wilcock, Feb. 6, 1909; Elizabeth Hyland, July 9, 1910; Donald
Gleason, Nov. 21, 1911; Edwin Newman, Feb. 3, 1919.

Occupation: Wholesale dry goods.

Address: (home) 219 Gardner Rd., Brookline, Mass.; (business) 104 King-
ston St., Brookline, Mass.

HAVING finished my course in Harvard in 1901, I spent the sum-
mer in Europe and went to work with Brown Durrell Co., in
the Fall, taking my diploma with my class the following Spring.
My father was president of the company, which probably accounts
for my getting rather more than the usual amount of rough work
the first two years, — then, too, I was one of "those college fellows."
I was made manager of the hosiery and glove departments in 1905,
a director in 1906. Was married the day the panic started with
the failure of the Knickerbocker Trust Co., — no connection however.
In 1919 my father died, and I was made president of the company.
I have taken an active interest in mercantile and civic affairs in
Boston and Brookline.

Golf, trap shooting, and figure skating are my principal recrea-
tions. For eight years prior to the war I went to England, France,
Germany, and Italy, on business for the company with which I am


Am a director, Boston Chamber of Commerce; member of ad-
visory committee, Harvard School of Business Administration;
director, John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Co., United States
Trust Co., Boston, and the Brookline Trust Co., Brookline; trustee,
Perkins Institute for the Blind, Suffolk Savings Bank, and the Gen-
eral Theological Library.

War Service: My service was as Chairman of several com-
mittees for relief, Red Cross, etc., Liberty Loan drives.

Member: Harvard Clubs of Boston and New York; The Country
Club, Brookline; Tedesco Country, Boston City, and Eastern
Yacht Clubs.

Hh ^ttf)ut 15otoet0 jFlanagan

Born at Somerville, Mass., March 22, 1880. Parents: Edward Thomas,
Kate Isabelle (Bowers) Flanagan. School: Cambridge Latin School,
Cam.bridge, Mass.

Degree: (c. 1898-1903.)


Died Aug. 6, 1920,

DURING the first few years out of college, Flanagan did some
newspaper work. Later he spent several months in United
States Revenue Cutter Service. He was inclined to have Socialistic
Tendencies, During the last few years of his life he was afflicted

*i* Ci)arle0 ^l)attuck Jfletcfjet

Born at Worcester, Mass., July 21, 1878. Parents: Charles Andrew, Helen
Maria (Shattuck) Fletcher. School: Classical High School, Worcester,

Degree: (c. 1898-1901.)


Died at Saranac Lake, N. Y., Sept. 13, 1903.

CHARLES SHATTUCK FLETCHER lived and died a brave and
cheerful youth. His great regret was that he could not live
to finish his course at Harvard. His intimates of the class remem-
hcK him as a thoughtful, sensitive kindly friend. Ever ready with
help in time of need, generous and considerate, he lived the life
he loved. He died as brave men die, with a smile of content. He
was a member of the S. A, E, Fraternity.



Born at Brookline, Mass., Sept. 28, 1878. Parents: Edward Elbridge, Lis-
beth Henrietta {Whitney) Floyd. School: Milton Academy, Milton,

Degrees: S.B. 1903; LL.B. and A.M. (Columbia) 1909.


Occupation: Lawyer.

Address: {home) Garden City, N. Y.; {business) Denton Bldg. Mineola,
N. Y.

AFTER leaving college I entered the employ of Floyd Bros.
& Co., wholesale woolen and cotton goods, of Boston, Chicago,
and New York, remaining until the death of my father, the head of
the firm, in 1904. In 1905, I entered Columbia University, taking
the law course and a course in political science, graduating with
the degrees of LL.B. and M.A, in 1909, after which I went to work
in a law office in Jamaica, N. Y. In December, 1909, I was ad-
mitted to the New York Bar. I remained in Jamaica until the
spring of 1910, then, after a trip to Europe, settled in New York
City. My home since 1914 has been at Garden City, in the suburbs
of New York, and at Pittsfield, Mass. After the war, I opened law
offices at Mineola, Nassau County, N. Y., where I have since prac-

I have traveled some, including four trips to Europe, two as on

Online LibraryHarvard College (1780- ). Class of 1902Secretary's ... report → online text (page 18 of 50)