Harvard College (1780- ). Class of 1902.

Secretary's ... report online

. (page 22 of 50)
Online LibraryHarvard College (1780- ). Class of 1902Secretary's ... report → online text (page 22 of 50)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Member: Classical Association, Middle States and Maryland;
Classical Clubs of New York and New Jersey; Harvard Club of
New Jersey; East Orange Rifle Club; National Rifle Association,


Born at St. Ivan, Hungary, Jan. 13, 1880. Parents: Jacob, Lina (Farkash)
Grossman. School: Central High School, Cleveland, O.

Degrees: A.B. 1902; LL.B. 1904.

Married: Adele Seasongood, St. Louis, Mo., Jan. 9, 1911. Children: James
S., April 8, 1912; Edward N., Feb. 8, 1915.

Occupation : Lawyer.

Address: (home) 2481 Stratford Rd., Cleveland Heights, 0. (business) 410 E.
Ohio Gas Bldg., Cleveland, O,

MY early experiences in the law would make a Jeremiad. I
went through all the grief which older lawyers had told me
would probably fall to my lot, but which I was quite sure was not
meant for me. I left the law school with a sheaf of letters which
extolled my abilities as a debater and college prize winner, and with
sundry letters of introduction to various lawyers of high standing
in Cleveland and proceeded immediately on my arrival there to pre-
sent these to the addressees. Well, either my letters of introduction
or I didn't take. While the lawyers approached spoke very kindly
to me and gave me reams of advice, they all ended with the same
soul crushing finale, they had no opening for me. I trudged around
in what still seems the hottest July that I can recall for three solid
weeks from office to office, first to the very best law offices and then to


those of lesser standing offering my services. At first I had hopes
of getting a salary for what I might do, but little by little as the
unhappy realization of what I was up against impressed itself on
my mind I became willing to give my services for the privilege of
getting my name on the office door, my desk in some obscure ante-
room corner and stenographic and 'phone service free. It was
certainly discouraging.

Well, I finally got placed with a very capable lawyer who had
just been retired by the people after fifteen years service on the
bench. He could have had a fine practice had he tended to business,
but his service on the bench killed him for any real work and he
preferred fishing and duck shooting to keeping appointments with
clients, and gradually those who might otherwise have come to
him steered clear of him. I stayed with him for a year during
which time my total receipts as a lawyer were $400, of which an-
other attorney paid me $120 for writing some briefs for him. I
then entered into partnership with two other impecunious young
lawyers with one of whom I stayed in partnership for fourteen
years, and during my second year in the law I took in $680.00. Of
course this didn't pay my expenses and I had to teach night school
in order to make ends meet and keep up appearances. The fact is
that I was so discouraged at one stage of the game that I went to
see the general agent of one of the life insurance companies in Cleve-
land with a view to quitting the law and going into a field where I
could go after business without violating the canons of the profes-
sion. Well, I decided to stick it out in the law anyway and shortly
after I was appointed the first attorney for the Legal Aid Society of
Cleveland — a society for securing justice for the poor which I had
assisted in organizing. I acted as its attorney for some years, dur-
ing which time I threw myself into its work heart and soul and gave
it absolutely the best that was in me, though Heaven knows the
compensation was pitifully small. For about seven years my prog-
ress in the law was pretty slow and it was tough sledding. The
last ten years, however, have been all that I could have asked for and
my only complaint has been that it has been too strenuous in that
I have had to work too hard. These last few years have been
largely bound up with The Chandler Motor Car Company and the
Cleveland Automobile Company, of the former of which I have
been secretary and general counsel, and of the latter general counsel
since organization. In 1919 I joined my present firm of Niman,
Grossman, Buss & Holiday, whose head up to the time of his death
a few years ago had been one of the country's ablest lawyers and
John D. Rockefeller's personal attorney, Virgil P. Kline. Five of


the men of our organization are Harvard law men and all of us are
under the half century mark.

In my home life things have run along most happily. We have
two happy, healthy, normal boys, who give every promise of becom-
ing regular fellows.

War Service: Was chairman of Local Board No. 17, Cleveland,
under the Selective Service Law.

Publications: "Organization of Corporation with especial ref-
erence to the Ohio Non-Par Stock Act," being an address delivered
before the Cleveland Bar Association in 1920.


Born at Berlin Germany, Jan. 25, 1872. Parents: Herman, Anna {Wolff)
Grossman. School: Luisenstddtische Ober-Realschule, Berlin, Germany.

Degree: A.B. 1902.

Married: Berla Helene Egge, Boston, Mass., Nov. 24, 1898. Child: Arno
Paul, March 20, 1902.

Occupation: Teacher.

Address: Wassertorster, 25, Berlin, Germany.

[He has made no response to the Secretary's communications.]


Born at Hamburg, Germany, March 20 1878. Parents: Friedrich Carl,
Marie (Behn) Groth. School: Realschule, Cuxhaven, Germany.

Degrees: A.B. 1902; A.M. 1903 (1904); Ph.D. {Univ. Pa.), 1906.

Married: Mathilde Louise Pittier, Philadelphia, Pa., Sept. 16, 1905. Chil-
dren. Lillian, Feb. 18, 1907; Constance, Oct. 3, 1908; Wilfred, Sept.
10, 1910; Robert, May 21, 1912 {died Oct. 1912) ; Walter Byron, Jan. 1915.

Occupation: Plant physiologist.

Address: Monte Cristi, Dominican Republic.

HOLDING an A, M. earned in natural history and chemistry, I
started to teach German and French at Phillips Exeter Acad-
emy, in 1903. But jumping from a college schedule of fifty-five
hours a week with several hours' tutoring, and correcting blue-
books nights and Sundays, to a schedule of seventeen hours a
week, with all afternoons, Saturdays, and Sundays off, made me al-
most ashamed of drawing my pay for such a loafing job. Having
decided to go to Buitenzorg, Java, to study tropical agriculture
under Treub, and not having enough money, I looked up "business
opportunities" in the Sunday papers and became part owner of a
traveling vaudeville show, in which I promptly got "broke" in West


Virginia. From there I went to Philadelphia, where I started as
assistant in the scientific department of the Philadelphia Commercial
Museum. I here became acquainted with most tropical products,
among them with the young lady who became my wife.

With the University so near, I couldn't resist the temptation of
spending all my spare time, Saturday afternoons, Sundays, holi-
days, vacations, and half my nights at the U. of P., so that, while
married on $75.00 a month, I had to squeeze hard to pay the uni-
versity dues, they had pity on me and handed me a Ph.D. in 1906.
But the lure of the tropics had already got me. In 1907 I started
for Costa Rica, to begin as timekeeper for the United Fruit Co.
There I became acquainted with the most miserable climate, the
most exacting work, and the lowest pay for it, I ever expect to see.
Still, being used to hard work, I felt happy, until the big flood of
1908 cut off my farm for many months, and forced me out of work
and out of the country.

Going back to Philadelphia in mid-winter, I tramped the streets
or two months, masquerading as a stock salesman Tor some liability
insurance company. Sometimes I got by the office boy, but I am
proud to say I never sold a share to anybody. Next I put in six
years as plant physiologist and plant breeder in the New Jersey
Agricultural Experiment Station, New Brunswick, N. J. There
I learned tomatoes from A to Z. Then the Republic of Panama
wanted someone to start a department of agriculture for them. I
started it, and had an experiment station and school of agriculture,
and pupils, and teachers, and what not; but the war finished it.
The government ran out of money, and I resigned.

Coming back to the U. S. during the war, I heard that the govern-
ment was looking for agricultural experts, in Washington. I went
there and offered my services, but was everywhere refused, on ac-
count of being born in Germany, though a resident of the United
States for twenty-six years, and a citizen for twenty-one. I soon
found myself an outlaw, on account of my birth. References and
record counted for nothing. At last I wound up as a day laborer
in the yards of the American Can Co., in New Orleans, where I
did my little bit stacking up nail kegs and cleaning up rubbish.

I am now manager for the plantations of the David Berg Indus-
trial Alcohol Co., in Santo Domingo.

Publications: Books, bulletins, reports, and articles on various
agricultural subjects, in Spanish and English, in Science, New Jer-
sey Station Reports, Contributions in the Laboratories of the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania, the Commercial Museum, Hacienda, and
Boletin Agricola, de Panama,



Born at Newburyport, Mass., Dec. 29, 1880. Parents: Edward Augustine,

Elizabeth Pike {Akerman) Hale. School: High School, Newburyport,

Degree: A.B. 1902.
Married: Margaret Stone Greenleaf, Neivburyport, Mass., May 23, 1905.

Child: Albert Greenleaf, Nov. 27, 1913.
Occupation: Book and Art Publisher.
Address: (home) 44 Lloyd St., Winchester, Mass.; (business) 755 Boylston

St., Boston, Mass.

HAVE held the following positions since graduation: 1902-3,
assistant in English, Harvard College; 1903-4, editorial staff
Ladies Home Journal, Philadelphia; 1904-1907, editor of the Bobbs-
Merrill Co., publishers, Indianapolis; 1907-1920, editor of Small,
Maynard & Co., publishers, Boston; since 1920, treasurer and gen-
eral manager. The Medici Society of America, publishers, Boston.

My business is book and job publishing: i.e., publishing in the
United States the publications of the Medici Society, Ltd., London,
including The Medici Prints, the Riccardi Press Books, other
books in biography, art and belles-lettres, and sundry other
publications, including Christmas cards, calendars, post cards, etc.
Also publishing The Burlington Magazine for Connoisseurs.

Walking, yachting and book-collecting (in a very mild way),
are my favorite diversions. For four months in 1912, I traveled
in England and France, and was in England for two months in 1921.

Publications: The Last Voyage of the Karluk (in collaboration
with Captain Robert A. Bartlet) ; Boston, 1916, Small Maynard &

Member: Harvard Clubs of Boston and New York; American
Geographical Society; American Federation of Arts; American
Booksellers Association; Boston Authors' and Annisquam Yacht
Club; etc.


DonN at Boston, Mass., March 17, 1880. Parents: Dean, Lousia Higginson
(Bowditch) Pierce. School: Hopkinsons School, Boston, Mass.

Degrees: A.B. 1902; S.B. (Mass. Inst. Tech.) 1904.

Married: Mary Dean Pierce, Jan. 21, 1920. Child: Mary Dean, Feb. 27,

Occupation: Civil engineer.

Address: (home) 559 Chestnut Hill Ave., Brookline, Mass.


THE first two years after leaving college I spent at the Massa-
chusetts Institute of Technology in the Department of Civil
Engineering from which I graduated in June, 1904. During the
summer months I had been an instructor in surveying at the Har-
vard Engineering Camp, Squam Lake. After graduation in 1904,
I entered the office of Robert S. Weston, consulting Engineer, Boston,
where I continued in engineering work until 1910 when I formed a
partnership with Edward B. Richardson, for the practice of engin-
eering. The work of the office was decidedly cramped when in 1916
both Richardson and myself went to the Mexican border with the
National Guard, and it entirely ceased to function when both of us
entered the service in 1917. On returning from France I was
appointed an associate commission in the Massachusetts Department
of Public Works, a position which I still hold.

My hobby has been the miliary game. I enlisted in it after grad-
uation in 1902, serving through all the ranks in Battery A, later
the battalion and then second in command of the regiment. I am
now a Brigadier General commanding a brigade of two regiments
of the Massachusetts National Guard.

Although I am a member of the Harvard Travelers' Club I was
not admitted because of the traveling I had performed. My travels
have been confined solely to business trips either professional or
military and strictly to the beaten path.

War Service: Enlisted in National Guard on Nov. 24, 1902;
was called into Federal Service on July 25, 1917; drafted into
Federal Service on Aug. 5, 1917, as Lieut. Colonel of 101st Regi-
ment, Field Artillery, at General Staff Section, General Headquar-
ters, A. E. F., and later as Assistant Chief of Staff, Second Army
Corps; promoted to Colonel, Nov. 7, 1918; in Feb., 1919 was at-
tached to American Embarkation Center Headquarters as Assistant
Chief of Staff, followed in March by appointment as Chief of Staff,
26th Division. Served in Brittany training area, General Head-
quarters at Chaumont, at Chemin des Dames, on British front from
Channel to St. Quentin, and at Le Mans. Engaged in the Battle of
the Somme; discharged June 14, 1919.

Member: St. Botolph and Harvard Clubs, New York; Pokaucket
Club, and several engineering Societies.


Born at Dover, N. H., Aug. 30, 1878. Parents: Daniel, Sophia (Dodge)

Hall. School: Berwick Academy, South Berwick, Me.
Degree: A.B. 1902.


Married: Inez Nora Bunker, Dover, N. H., Oct. 23, 1907. Child: Daniel,

2d., Feb. 12 1909.
Occupation : Lawyer.
Address: {home) 55 Summer St., Dover, N. H., and Eliot, Me.; {business)

125 Washington St., Dover, N. H.

[Adds nothing to data in Fifth Report.]

Born at Cumberland, Me., July 16, 1878. Parents: Milton Wilder, Emma
{York) Hall. School: Friends' School, Providence, R. I.

Degree: (c. 1898-1899.)

Married: Elsie Willis, New Bedford, Mass., March 29, 1916. Child: Wil-
liam Wilder, Oct. 14, 1917.

Died Oct. 6, 1918, at Lakeville, Mass.

LEFT Harvard in the Fall of 1898 after the Harvard- Yale
Freshman foot-ball game, in which he played, and went to
Haverford college. He remained there a year, taking an active
part in athletics. Shortly after that he bought a farm in Lake-
ville, Mass., and raised poultry till 1913. There he served as
trustee of the public library. After selling his farm he became
connected with the forestry department of the Island of Anticosti
in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. He later became manager of this de-
partment, and at the time of his death, from influenza, had charge
of this and other lumbering operations on the St. Lawrence. He
is survived by his wife and one son.

^Clifton ^am

Born at Shapleigh, Me., Sept. 25, 1879. Parents: Marcus LaFayette,
Martha Ann {Mann) Ham. School: Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter,
N. H.

Degree: A.B. 1902.

Married: Adeline Putnam, Newton, Mass., June 12, 1906. Children:
Mary Elizabeth, May 9, 1908; Eleanor, March 21, 1912.

Died at North Yakima, IFash., Feb. I, 1920.

CLIFTON HAM died of pneumonia following influenza Feb. 1,
1920, at the age of forty years. He left a wife Adeline Put-
nam Ham, B. A. Wellesley, 1899, and two daughters. He was en-
gaged in the orchard business in Coulee City, Wash., with his home
at Yakima, and was recognized as one of the leading orchardists
of the Northwest. His business integrity, reliability, and repu-
tation for expert knowledge, won the respect and confidence of all
business men.



Born at Boston, Mass., May 27, 1880. Parents: Charles Francis, Martha

Elizabeth Marguerite (Clavery) Hamburger. School: Dorchester High

School, Boston, Mass.
Degrees: A.B. 1902; LL.B. 1910.
Married: Ethel May Kent, Boston, Mass., Oct. 19, 1904. Children:

Francis Russell, Jan. 12, 1910; Charles Warren, Oct. 26, 1915 {died May

13, 1916) ; Amy Southwell, Oct. 26, 1915.
Occupation : Lawyer.
Address: (home) 83 Wellington Hill St., Mattapan, Mass.; (business) 8

Winter St., Boston, Mass.

THE task of writing an autobiography is too awesome for the
average man, but as the secretary has sent me a mandatory card
I feel in duty bound to write something. If this duty of writing
on a few pages the story of twenty years had devolved upon me
just after leaving college I think, by calling upon my imagination,
I might in the fulsomeness of my academic confidence have written
a more interesting story, but unfortunately I am bound to write
the truth — which makes my ordinary and prosaic life seem unin-
teresting. However I must do my best so here goes: —

After leaving College and spending five years in business, dur-
ing which time I learned there was another world beside which
our college world seemed smaller although possibly more enjoy-
able and carefree, and during which incidentally I was married, I
entered the Law School, class of '10, where I spent three years
under the protecting elms of Cambridge — and since then I have
been busy practicing Law in Boston.

One of my children is now attending the Roxbury Latin School
where he is already beginning to look forward to joining the class
of '30 at college. Family life, with its incidental responsibilities,
has restricted my travels to short trips in the eastern part of our
country, although my family has fared a little better in that they
were able to spend one summer in England, my wife's former home.

My avocation, or hobby if you will, has taken a political turn,
in that I have served several terms in the legislature two under the
splendid leadership of the gifted Benjamin Loring Young, Harvard
'07. There are several Harvard men there, including Brown, Louis
Green and Walter Shuebruk, '02, Bean, '03, Brown (LaAv) '10,
Shattuck, '01, and others, and more coming every year. In time
it may be virtually a Harvard Club in itself.

My accomplishments have been few, but my hopes still run
high and perhaps at the end of the next twenty years I may write
a better story.


War Service: Was Associate Government Appeal Agent, as
well as chairman, Legal Advisory Board; did volunteer police
duty in Boston during September, 1919. Was secretary, War Re-
lief Committee. Served as chairman of all drives in local com-

Member: Harvard Club of Boston; Masonic orders.

Hh(£^DtiiarD William l^amill

Born at Belleville, III, Dec. 26, 1879. Parents: James Miller, Agnes
Lillian {Pace) Hamill. School: Belleville High School, Belleville, III.;
Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, 0.

Degrees: A.B. 1902; S.B. {Mass. Inst. Tech.) 1907.


Died at Los Angeles, Calif., June 30, 1909.

EDWARD WILLIAM HAMILL prepared for college at the pre-
paratory department of Ohio Wesleyan University, where he
was graduated in 1901 with the degree of A.B. While at Ohio
Wesleyan he was active in Y. M. C. A. work, was treasurer of the
athletic association, and editor-in-chief of the "Ohio Wesleyan
Transcript"; he won the modern languages prize in German, and
was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and also the Phi Delta Theta
fraternities. He entered the senior class at Harvard College in
1901 and received the degree of A.B. in 1902. During the year
1902-1903 he returned to Ohio Wesleyan to teach German, and the
next year he taught in the German department at Harvard and did
post-graudate work. At this time he decided to take up architec-
ture as a profession and in 1904 entered the Massachusetts Institute
of Technology and was graduated with the degree of S.B. in 1907.
His interest in educational work was so strong, however, that he
decided to return to teaching, and in February, 1908, was appointed
a teacher at the Yeatman High School in St. Louis. During this
time he wrote articles on educational subjects for The Christian
Advocate and The Educational Review, and had also written an ar-
ticle on "Trout Fishing in White River" for Outdoor Life. Poor
health compelled him to give up his work in April, 1909. He went to
Colorado and later to California, but his condition grew suddenly
critical. A few days before his death he received notice of his ap-
pointment to a position at Ohio Wesleyan which he had much de-
sired. He was thirty years old, had never married, and leave sur-
viving him his father, mother and one brother.



Born at Boston, Mass., Nov. 18, 1880. Parents: Joseph Bradford, Alison
{Cleveland) Hardon. School: Roxbury Latin School, Boston, Mass.

Degree: A. B. 1902.

Married: Ena Beatrice Helms, Cambridge, Mass., April 30, 1913. Child:
Beatrice, Sept. 22, 1914.

Occupation: Statistician.

Address: (home) 262 Clinton Road, Brookline, Mass.; (business) 87 Milk
St., Boston, Mass.

FOR three and a half years after graduation I was with the bank-
ing house of S. D. Loring & Son. Upon the dissolution of that
firm I went with Hayden, Stone & Co., Boston, in November, 1905,
and have been with them since.

War Service: For two years I was a private in First M!otor

Member: Harvard Club of Boston; Oakley Country Club.


Born at Jamaica Plain, Mass., Nov. 11, 1879. Parents: John Francis,
Emma Louisa (Nickerson) Hartt. School: Hopkinsons School, Boston,

Degree: A.B. 1902.

Married: Katharine Menzies Barbour, Helena, Mont., Oct. 28, 1908. Chil-
dren: Child, May 5, 1911 (died May 5, 1911) ; Katharine, Jan. 20,
1913; Dudley Nickerson, Jr., July 23, 1915; Ellen Hartt, Oct. 11, 1919.

Occupation: Farming and trustee.

Address: (home) Cazenovia, N. Y.; (business) 87 Milk St., Boston, Mass.

AM connected with wool buying and ranching in the West. Had
a 100,000 acre ranch in Montana, part of which I developed
and sold as small farms. Was also interested in an irrigation proj-
ect in Oregon. I am a director of the Arlington Mills at Lawrence.

My Civic Service includes my duties as president, HI District
Council of Boston Boy Scouts of America, I am also a member of
Municipal Boston Finance Committee Boy Scouts.

War Service: Worked on War Industries Board, as assistant
chief. Wool Division. Also acted as secretary of New England
Milk Commission, appointed through Mr. Hoover as a part of Mass-
achusetts Food Administration.



Born at Chicago, III., Nov. 10, 1880. Parents: Ediuin Schuyler, Nannie
Wilder (Lane) Hartwell. School: University School, Chicago, 111.

Degree: (s. 1898-1900.)

Married: Margaret Maxwell, Chicago, III., Nov. 5, 1906.

Occupation: Automobile Industry.

Address: {home) 626 Wellington Ave., Chicago, III.; (business) c/o Becker-
Stutz Automobile Co., 611 Beacon St., Boston, Mass.

WAS in the lumber business from 1900 to 1917; served in the
United States Navy during 1918 and 1919; have been with
Becker-Stutz Auto Co., New England distributors for Stutz cars,
since 1919.

Since prohibition I have no hobbies. Have traveled all over the
United States.

War Service: Attached to the office of Aid for Information, 1st
Naval District, Boston, Mass., U.S.N.R.F., 1918-1919.


Born at Chicago, III., Dec. 31, 1878. Parents: Turlington Walker, Belle

Sheriden {Badger) Harvey. School: Harvard School, Chicago, 111.
Degree: (c. 1898-1900.)

Married: Adele Lawrence Shreve, Santa Barbara, Cal., Nov. 8', 1910w
Occupation : Publisher
Address: 268 West mth St., New York, N. Y.

IN the Summer of 1901 I entered the sales department of a manu-
facturing concern in Chicago, later becoming vice president and
sales manager, until 1907, when I entered the Chicago office of Lee
Higginson & Company, and soon became manager of the city sales
department in Chicago, remaining until 1910, when I moved to
Santa Barbara, California. Having studied painting before enter-
ing College, in the Chicago Art Institute, and later in the School
of Painting of the Boston Art Museum, on reaching California I
took up the profession which I had originally intended to follow,
and, opening a studio in Santa Barbara, took up landscape painting.
Beginning in 1915, I went East each Winter with my canvasses, to
exhibit in Boston, Chicago, and New York.

During the war, in November, 1917, in order to undertake work
more directly connected with winning the war, I became associated
with The Christian Science Publishing Society in Boston. In Feb-

Online LibraryHarvard College (1780- ). Class of 1902Secretary's ... report → online text (page 22 of 50)